April 25, 2024, 10:46:50 PM

Author Topic: What does success look like to you?  (Read 1236 times)

socafighter

What does success look like to you?
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »
What does success look like to you?
Thursday, August 7 2014
Nwsday

ACCORDING to the Oxford dictionary, you are successful when you achieve something desired, planned or attempted – the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. You are also successful, according to Oxford, if you’ve attained fame, wealth or social status.

The second definition of success is the one most real to many of us because it’s what we can see. On television we can watch the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Handbags with identifiable symbols and initials tell us exactly how much money was spent. The amount of money you have is a definite measure of success. Dreams of luxury cars, lavish homes on every continent including an equally expansive home on the island, designer clothes and safes full of expensive jewelry fill our minds as we long to win the Lotto in order to be successful.

These long term, day dreamy thoughts of success are frustrating. It gives rise to thoughts about the haves and have-nots; about our own inability and incapability to achieve like others are achieving. It’s almost as if some are destined to be successful but we are not.

Perhaps it’s time to revise the success definition. But first let me share a powerful allegory by Tolstoy, that I came across in Og Mandino’s A Better Way to Live, showing how man has always failed at fulfilling goals that have little to do with his happiness and the enjoyment of the brief time here on earth.

A peasant named Pakhom is certain that he will be a great success when he finally has as much land as is contained in the vast estates possessed by the most elite Russian noblemen. That is his goal. The day arrives when he receives an amazing offer: he will be awarded at no cost, as much land as he himself can encircle by running from sunrise to sunset. Pakhom sells all his worldly goods in order to move to the far-distant place where this generous offer has been made. After many hardships, he arrives, and arranges to capitalise on his great opportunity the next day.

At dawn, Pakhom begins to run at breakneck speed. Dashing into the bright morning sun, his goal fixed before his eyes, he races along in the blistering heat, looking neither to the left or right. All day, he continues his swift pace, stopping neither for food nor water nor rest, his estate growing larger with each stride. Finally, as the sun disappears beyond the desert and darkness envelopes the land, Pakhom staggers to the finish line. Victory! His goal has been achieved. Success!

And then…with his final step, Pakhom drops dead from exhaustion. All the land he now needs…is six feet of earth.

I like Victoria Moran’s definition of success: “Success is not down the road. It can be precisely where you are on the road, right now, today.” The idea here is to start living fully. Be a success in your own eyes. Look at yourself only and see how you’re succeeding from one day to the next. Stop trying so hard to control things and people and your own circumstances. Stop trying so hard to be more. Be yourself. Who you are and what you’re doing today is enough for today.

Dr Warren Lee shares, “Every week in my office or in the Emergency Room, I meet people who have just slammed into a reality they never saw coming: it’s malignant, you’ve got six months left, I’m sorry but we couldn’t save her...Inevitably, one of the first things those folks feel is the heavy crush of things they’ve left undone, words that should have been said, relationships broken and never repaired, ways in which they meant to change, trips they never took...They were waiting for a more convenient time, a better opportunity, for tomorrow.”

Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is largely out of our control. If you want to change your life, you can’t do it tomorrow. And you can’t undo what happened yesterday or any time in the past. But you can make today different. You can’t lose weight tomorrow, improve your business cash flow tomorrow, or save the relationship with your kids sometime down the road. All you have is today. This moment – right now so ask yourself “what needs to be done?” then do it.

Don’t focus on the number on the scale, or the amount of money you need to accumulate or how family X just took their kids to Disneyworld and you can’t.

Instead measure your own success by how you’re paying attention to your inner life, how you’re treating yourself and others and that just for today, you’ve eaten reasonably. Give a nod to the little things that you managed to do today. If you got some exercise – great! If you started the project – super!

Listen to the wise old Roman Seneca, “True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient for he that is so wants nothing. The great blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it be, without wishing for what he has not.”

Never allow your day to become so cluttered that you neglect your most important goal: to do the best that you can, to enjoy the gift of each day that you get to be here on earth and to rest satisfied in that day for what you’ve been able to accomplish.

People want their life to count but they lack 2 things: Clarity about their calling or purpose and encouragement from someone to say, “You can do that.” I journey with people who have this need until what they are meant to do, becomes clear.  –Discover the 3 mistakes we inadvertently make that prevent us from, achieving our true potential.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:16:19 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

Re: What does success look like to you?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:11:52 PM »

Hmmmm ..anyone care to voice an opinion???....

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:52:09 AM »
A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it be, without wishing for what he has not.

Such a man is not wise, nor are they successful. No person has been successful by maintaining what they have, but by effecting a better reality for themselves and those around them. Success is a self-defined concept mostly, although I'd argue that it is commonly defined in relation to how others perceive them.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:49:54 AM »
A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it be, without wishing for what he has not.

Such a man is not wise, nor are they successful. No person has been successful by maintaining what they have, but by effecting a better reality for themselves and those around them. Success is a self-defined concept mostly, although I'd argue that it is commonly defined in relation to how others perceive them.

Don't agree.
I continuosly ask myself if success is tied to happiness. If it is, then, I have observed the simple people in the region where I work at present. They are largely potato farmers with some live stock (mostly cows and sheep) and they are a product of the Soviet era, nothing in their lives has changed over the years apart from maybe the introduction of uncensored electronic media and our pipeline. These people are content and you can see it in the way they interact with each other and the strong family units that they have, of course not everybody will be happy all the time but it seems that the aquisition of material wealth is much less of an issue with them than with us. These people actually share the resposibility of taking the livestock out to graze and are very connected to thier animals, the cows actually know themselves which fence or gate to stop at when they return home on evenings. As the article implies they don't have to worry about the potential loss of substantial property and maintaining that. (Which to me is a constant threat) So I guess its different strokes for different folks on this.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »
Success to me is relative and contextual- at this time success would be to see TnT return to a time of peace respect and a reverence for  human life and dignity. A land where one is not fearful of being a victim where one can trust parliamentarians to be ethical and where one can witness a hgh sense of moral propriety in the life of our leaders.
Success would be governance for the people not for self gain and quick riches- Success would be a political party that is truly representative of the people not one based on nepotism and  bi partisan politics.
Success would be to have a country where you don't have to live I your house like it is ape sonar jail with multiple locks and security .
 Success would be to walk anywhere in TNT and not have a fear about whose turf ypu are in or which side of the village  belongs to whom
Success would be to see that TNT is drug free murder free and that all the rouge elements in the forces are eradicated
Success would be to read see and hear that the major criminals responsible for criminal activities have been caught.
Success would be to see that all politicians who profited from schemes returned  all the money
Success would be to see that the social health sporting sectors are adequately funded so that we don't have a two tier system- where the rich gets riches  through the exploitation of the masses
Yes let's at
K about the real issues affecting the success of people in TNT and the challenges to daily life here.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:42:03 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »

Don't agree.
I continuosly ask myself if success is tied to happiness. If it is, then, I have observed the simple people in the region where I work at present. They are largely potato farmers with some live stock (mostly cows and sheep) and they are a product of the Soviet era, nothing in their lives has changed over the years apart from maybe the introduction of uncensored electronic media and our pipeline. These people are content and you can see it in the way they interact with each other and the strong family units that they have, of course not everybody will be happy all the time but it seems that the aquisition of material wealth is much less of an issue with them than with us. These people actually share the resposibility of taking the livestock out to graze and are very connected to thier animals, the cows actually know themselves which fence or gate to stop at when they return home on evenings. As the article implies they don't have to worry about the potential loss of substantial property and maintaining that. (Which to me is a constant threat) So I guess its different strokes for different folks on this.

I can understand that - my ex-colleague was doing research with Italian communes in the Alps based on the concept of the Commons - but in what sense is the word "success" meaningful in this context? You can be unhappy and successful no? You can also be happy and unsuccessful surely? If this community improved the lot of their children (whether measured in materialistic or non-materalistic terms) then that'd be a success surely, but if they leave their children no better off than they did, in what sense might we judge their success? I'm suggesting that any definition of success has to involve some element of improvement.

1]; } ?>