April 18, 2024, 04:52:58 PM

Poll

Given the current state of Trinidad and Tobago, how and what will influence your decisions if you are given a chance to ink a finger?

PNM
25 (41%)
UNC
21 (34.4%)
COP
6 (9.8%)
NJAC
4 (6.6%)
Other
5 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: If Elections called today... how will all yuh vote?  (Read 96645 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: If Elections called today... how will all yuh vote?
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2010, 09:19:02 AM »
But Manning will only go as far as we allow him - even those that surround him in the PNM must be made of sterner stuff and have the balls to stand up for what is right even if it means being unpopular and sidelined etc.

Weary and that happenin when?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2010, 10:13:16 AM »
But Manning will only go as far as we allow him - even those that surround him in the PNM must be made of sterner stuff and have the balls to stand up for what is right even if it means being unpopular and sidelined etc.

u eh hear what the lady say a what? he eh reach far enough as yet to warrant her stopping him.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2010, 10:16:24 AM »

If T&T people foolish enough to let Jack have access to their treasury then I am sure his investment in funding the UNC for this elections will be well rewarded by himself to himself many times over!!

so the treasury in good hands now? steups.....U think the pnm financiers wasnt rewarding themselves all the time over the 50 years?

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »

If T&T people foolish enough to let Jack have access to their treasury then I am sure his investment in funding the UNC for this elections will be well rewarded by himself to himself many times over!!

so the treasury in good hands now? steups.....U think the pnm financiers wasnt rewarding themselves all the time over the 50 years?

its remarkable how blind people can be and ignore rampant corruption and still vote the same party back in, to me its not about governance with some on this board, its about race and they afraid to admit it.

when the unc under panday were found for their corruption, many individuals on this very board condemned it and made a big deal about it, now that the current admin have been found in even bigger corruption, there is silence.

that to me shows race is their main motivating factor in their decision. thank god i come from a mixed family, where i could point out right and wrong from both races and make a fair judgement as to which party actually or leader is a better bet for the nation.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2010, 11:23:47 AM »

its remarkable how blind people can be and ignore rampant corruption and still vote the same party back in, to me its not about governance with some on this board, its about race and they afraid to admit it.

when the unc under panday were found for their corruption, many individuals on this very board condemned it and made a big deal about it, now that the current admin have been found in even bigger corruption, there is silence.

that to me shows race is their main motivating factor in their decision. thank god i come from a mixed family, where i could point out right and wrong from both races and make a fair judgement as to which party actually or leader is a better bet for the nation.

:beermug:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

AirMan

« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2010, 12:21:50 PM »

By Clevon Raphael  http://guardian.co.tt/commentary/columnist/2010/05/19/campaign-2010-ugly-side

Campaign 2010: The ugly side
Clevon Raphael
Published: 19 May 2010
Clevon Raphael
Judgment day is just five days away. By this time next week a new government should be in place and all election activities would have abated with the country well on the way to breathing once again.

Today we are looking at some aspects of the campaign, the savoury and the unsavoury, so far. On top of the list, I am afraid, is the race card which, unfortunately, is playing out particularly in one party, even though there are some who would say this ugly phenomenon is being abused by all the parties. I beg to disagree and the offending people know who exactly they are. All you racist politicians who are proud of sowing your politics of hate and fear, you may try as you might but racist tendencies would never triumph over the love that we all have for our country. The racial bogey was somewhat tackled head-on after the 1986 NAR victory but unfortunately the experience did not go the full course and today we still have to contend with those of that ilk peddling their sick minds among the population. Thank God they are in the minority, although one racist is one too many.

It is pathetic to hear otherwise bright Trinis—one assumes they are—saying they cannot vote for this or that candidate because of their ethnic origin. I respect anyone who says they are unable to give their franchise to a particular party because they do not like its policies and things of the kind. However, I have been literally chasing away those who come to me with tribal crap because I firmly believe that we as a people are on the way to doing away with racial voting and to push that doltish head in 2010 is hypocritical and retrogressive. The results of the May 24 exercise would show how far we are really on the road to eliminating naked tribalism on voting day. Another aspect of the campaign I find very distasteful are the personal insults being hurled at various candidates by their opposite numbers. It is indeed silly and unproductive for supposedly intelligent men and women who are begging us to put them as leaders of the nation to be engaged in such unbelievable verbal abuse simply because they do not belong to the same political party.

Again this particular party started this unpleasant trend and, although not on the same degree, the favour was returned by platform speakers of the other major party. What does some woman allegedly trying look like the wife of the American President have to do with providing us with good governance for the next five years and beyond? How does describing one candidate with links to a rodent contribute to providing citizens with amenities and facilities we all expect from a government? Picong is a normal part of politicking and is good fare on the campaign trail but there are limits that decent people who are setting up themselves as potential leaders should go in their quest for high public office. Much ado has been made by the PNMites of the tearing up of their manifesto, which to me was another attempt by that party to divert attention, no matter how limited, from the real campaign issues. One of them went so far as to say it would encourage disrespect among the citizenry for authority. As if to say the attacks could be more ridiculous, another ventured that Kamla’s action could also influence people to commit acts of violence. Tut tut...

On Sunday night we were treated to an interview with the Prime Minister and although I have certain thoughts about that event, I would keep them private from the standpoint of being a journalist myself. However, one response by Mr Manning cannot be left unchallenged, which is when he said the initials “PM” on the drawings of the controversial Heights of Guanapo church could mean “project manager.” Manning is no architect or anywhere near other professions associated with the construction industry. But as someone intimately involved in the vast expenditure of state funds on mega construction projects, the Prime Minister by now should be familiar with at least some of the elementary terms in the sector. Additionally, he should know that a project manger only comes on the scene after a contract has been signed. I am not saying the Prime Minister told a blatant lie when he said “PM” could have meant project manger but one thing is definitely certain: we haven’t by any stretch of the imagination heard the last of this controversial church-building project.

At this time it is reasonable to assume that most voters have already made up their minds and are just waiting on next Monday to perform their civic duty. I am in that group and I am urging all who enjoy that privilege not to take their duty lightly. If you are going to vote on sentimentality or any other such vacuous reasons you might as well forget it. Voting is serious business and we must carefully weigh all the options given on the campaign trail and the news media to make intelligent choices.
The country’s future is at stake.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2010, 12:27:45 PM »

So you's de only one here come from ah mixed family?  You's de only one God bless with impartiality tuh call right from wrong?  Why yuh doh hush yuh ass and give yuh bowels ah rest.

AirMan

« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »

So you's de only one here come from ah mixed family?  You's de only one God bless with impartiality tuh call right from wrong?  Why yuh doh hush yuh ass and give yuh bowels ah rest.

:rotfl:

AirMan

« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »
TrinidadGuardian Poll Do you expect Election Day to be peaceful ?

As of today you can vote from the hompepage.. http://guardian.co.tt/poll/do-you-expect-election-day-be-peaceful
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:03:15 PM by AirMan »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2010, 12:53:17 PM »

Not goin 2 happen because TNT peeps not serious bout nutten. We here are d diehard football fans and we eh united to buy black juzzy 2 support d warriors. D ave Tri eh care bout nutten dat is y we in d sorry state we in.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »
People say that under Manning's leadership, you see the kind of apathy and disregard for citizenry that leads to more corruption, disenfranchisement and frustration of the public. These words can be used to describe the feelings of some under the UNC administration as well. We cannot forget the scandals and acts of corruption perpetuated under Panday's leadership.

But Manning will only go as far as we allow him - even those that surround him in the PNM must be made of sterner stuff and have the balls to stand up for what is right even if it means being unpopular and sidelined etc. It means that we have to get up off our laurels and instead of writing here on random thoughts, start writing letters to the editor, our parliamentarians, local government ministers, church leaders etc. Nobody can make us do anything without our explicit consent; that is the simple/profound truth.

If we would only spend time, attention and sufficient effort to raise people who are able to do the right thing...regardless...in our families, schools, communities etc, then we would see an improvement in the actions of our 'governement'. Remember that the 'government' is simply a microcosm of the wider society. If we want
that is the simple/profound truth.

If we would only spend time, attention and sufficient effort to raise people who are able to do the right thing...regardless...in our families, schools, communities etc, then we would see an improvement in the actions of our 'governement'. Remember that the 'government' is simply a microcosm of the wider society. If we want there to be more honest, fair-minded, ethical members of government, then we have to create that society, because it is the society that produces the government, not the other way around.

I don't believe in a top-down approach to society building; the power lies with the people. Some 41 members of society in 'government' do not have the power over you me or you to decide how we will live our lives. They don't decide for you if you want to be hardworking or lazy, ethical or dishonest, fair-minded or foul, loyal to country or not, safe on the roads, or speed like a damn maniac, put on your seat-belt or 'text' while driving, drive sober or as drunk as a fish1.

When will we take personal responsibility and stop trying to use Patrick Manning as an excuse for all ills!!"

Cuz it easier to say Patrick Manning have to go! Typical trinis..never dem to blame for anyting. Doh worry...time june we go be experiencing utopia if yuh take on a certain platform.

Nah not from June Tuesday
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »

When will we take personal responsibility and stop trying to use Patrick Manning as an excuse for all ills!!"

He is not an excuse for all ills.  But I find he have to go.  In fact he is one of the ills and I am taking personal responsibility for using my vote in the effort to put him out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »

:thumbsup:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2010, 01:24:01 PM »

He is not an excuse for all ills.  But I find he have to go.  In fact he is one of the ills and I am taking personal responsibility for using my vote in the effort to put him out.

When Manning gone then what?

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2010, 01:45:15 PM »

what you mean by that?  it only have one Prime Ministerial candidate? 

serious question(for anyone who wants to answer): what do you think can reasonably be expected to get worse (or better) if the PNM didn't win the election?

Or maybe you mean, within the PNM?

I don't know who going to win, but I would like to believe that if the PNM lose they will come under new leadership in the relatively short-term future.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »

Jackula takes over!  :nailbiting:

Lord please forgive some of my people but I know in the end you only giving them what they've been asking for!  :praying:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2010, 01:55:29 PM »

serious question(for anyone who wants to answer): what do you think can reasonably be expected to get worse (or better) if the PNM didn't win the election?

I don't know who going to win, but I would like to believe that if the PNM lose they will come under new leadership in the relatively short-term future.

That should definitely be the case if PNM loses!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »

y would/should he go if he have the support?
(Muslim)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »

That should definitely be the case if PNM loses!

All yuh doh understand d PNM as an organization. It is not 1 man 1 vote like d UNC. So d party grps eh like Rowley and he cyah win no party election unless Patos say he is d man.

He eh Manning choice so PNM get voted out d battle go b 4 Rowley 2 win d hearts ah d FAB who control d party.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
I found this interesting.

http://lyndersaydigital.com/brain/dump_files/punditry.html

People who “call the elections” usually have the capacity to do polls, come to the table with an extensive understanding of political history and degrees to match and enjoy some reputation.

I am not one of those people. Because I write editorial leaders for the Trinidad Guardian, I’ve spent a fair amount of time looking at the campaigns that have taken place in this country since the turn of the century and looking at the 2010 election in particular.

So here are my election predictions, based on nothing more than a casual remembrance of who these people are in public life, the general public perception of them and, frankly, what they look like in their photographs. I’ve limited my predictions to the candidates of the UNC coalition and PNM.

This is really a test of my theory that the majority of people who show up in a polling station with no strong commitment to one party or another make their choices on nothing more than one or more of my own criteria for judgement.
On May 25th, we’ll all know just how valid a process this might be.
Curious about my prior blogging about politics? Here you go...
My punditry puts the election at 30 seats for the People’s Partnership Coalition and the elected representatives of the PNM in my crystal ball are a quite odd grouping indeed.

Please add your own observations using the comments below the post.

Constituency by constituency, the predictions...

Arima
Candidates: Laurel Lezama Lee-Sing, PNM and Roger Samuel, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Arima’s a PNM stronghold and Laurel’s cute. I’ve never heard of Roger Samuel and I’m willing to bet that the folks in Arima haven’t either. Add to that mix the fact that Penelope Beckles has been undeniably gracious in accepting being stricken from the ballot and Lezama Lee-Sing is likely to keep the majority ballot for the PNM that’s been the tradition in the constituency.
Winner: Laurel Lezama Lee-Singh

Arouca/Maloney
Candidates: Alicia Hospedales, PNM and Anna Maria Mora, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Tough call. Alicia Hospedales is the incumbent. Anna Maria Mora is a strong contender with serious social intervention credibility. Expect a strong sympathy pull for Hospedales, who was doused in paint by a political dissenter, but Mora is well-known, capable and intelligent. I give her the nod.
Winner: Anna Maria Mora.

Barataria/San Juan
Candidates: Joseph Ross, PNM and Fuad Khan, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Wow. Barataria and San Juan should love Joseph Ross, except that he’s so utterly bland and when he’s not, so reflexively unlikable that Fuad Khan has a real shot at taking this one home. Both men sport likeable public smiles and Joseph Ross has been the public eye a lot as Minister of Tourism, except that may not actually turn out to be an asset if anyone remembers what he’s been saying.
Winner: Joseph Ross.

Caroni Central
Candidates: Sheila Madoo Kurban, PNM and Glenn Ramadharsingh, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Sheila! What you do them? Glenn’s walking this one home, sorry.
Winner: Glenn Ramadharsingh

Caroni East
Candidates: Harold Ramoutar, PNM and Tim Gopeesingh UNC-CoP Coalition.
Harold, dude, you have stones. I look at your confidently smiling face and squared shoulders and really wish you well. Tim’s smirk in his campaign photo is, unfortunately, well earned.
Winner: Tim Gopeesingh

Chaguanas East
Candidates: Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, PNM and Stephen Cadiz, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Ever since the populous Chaguanas constituency was split in two for the 2007 elections, Mustapha Abdul-Hamid has owned the eastern half. A sensible, articulate man, he has been a low profile but lucid participant in politics since emerging under the PNM banner. Stephen Cadiz has a lot of brand equity as a public voice speaking out for victims of crime. Abdul-Hamid is likeable, but his commodity rates low against the stocks of Cadiz.
Winner: Stephen Cadiz.

Chaguanas West
Candidates: Ronald Heera, PNM and Jack Warner, UNC-CoP Coalition.
I kept looking at Ronald’s photo. What could be going through his head? “Dude, I’m in a UNC stronghold, going up against the legacy of Hulsie Bhaggan and Manohar Ramsaran and the presence of the UNC chief financier Jack Warner. What, you expect me to smile? Okay, here.”
Winner: Jack Warner

Couva North
Candidates: Nal Ramsingh, PNM and Ramona Ramdial, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Nal, dude, great smile. You know this was Basdeo Panday’s seat, right? You know he’s not a candidate to split the vote, right? Okay, I’ve never heard of Ramona either, but... Nal, come back... You got the photo, right?
Winner: Ramona Ramdial

Couva South
Candidates: Anthony Khan, PNM and Rudy Indarsingh, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Heyyy Anthony! Yes, that’s right, just sit there, nice pose with the chin up. Why Nal just stormed out? Oh just telling him who he’s campaigning against. Oh you? Just some guy named Rudy. Hah, Rudy in Couva South, imagine that, and he’s a trade unionist too, as if that will fly in Couva. Hah! Oh, Rudy stands for Rudranath? He’s a sugar trade unionist? Why don’t people tell us these things? You aren’t going to smile, are you?
Winner: Rudranath Indarsingh

Cumuto/Manzanilla
Candidates: Darryl ‘Japs’ Mahabir, PNM and Collin Partap, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Japs looks like this big strapping guy. I imagine that he runs a transport business and will occasionally lend a truck to help a guy out. Or he could just be a guy who just has a lot of jep nests on his property. He’s up against Harry’s son. Cumuto/Manzanilla’s a new constituency and it’s been UNC so far, so let’s see how the big guy fares.
Winner: Collin Partap

D’Abadie/O’Meara
Candidates: Karen Nunez-Teshiera, PNM and Anil Roberts, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Here are two people everybody knows. Anil may not be your cup of tea, but Karen’s a strong drink even for the experienced political imbiber.
Winner: Anil Roberts

Diego Martin Central
Candidates: Amery Brown, PNM and Nicole Dyer-Griffith, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Everybody knows these two, though their public perception is quite different. Nicole was our beauty queen when the UNC brought the Miss Universe competition to Trinidad and Tobago and Amery’s a generally well-meaning guy who, to his credit, looks out of place in the hardest parries of political repartee and rejoinder. But it’s Diego Martin and his work with the aged and challenged are likely to be a strong pull for older voters.
Winner: Amery Brown

Diego Martin North/East
Candidates: Colm Imbert, PNM and Garvin Nicholas, UNC-CoP Coalition.
If there’s anyone who’s more universally disliked than the Prime Minister in this election, it’s Colm Imbert, who is widely regarded as his facilitator in matters of public works. Nobody’s denying the value of the overpass and the water taxis executed under Imbert’s transport portfolio, but oh, the man sooo irritating.
Garvin’s largely a political unknown, despite contesting an election or two in the past, but he has one unerring advantage in Diego Martin North/East and that’s not being Colm Imbert.
Winner: Garvin Nicholas

Diego Martin West
Candidates: Keith Rowley, PNM, and Rocky Garcia, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Let’s see now. We have Keith Rowley, the man who faced down the entire infrastructure of the PNM in Parliament to blow the whistle on Udecott and precipitate the crisis of confidence that pretty much led to this election, a man that even annoyed PNM supporters hail as a hero, and we have Rocky Garcia.
Rocky, dude. Try and make up with Winston. He can’t keep asking you to beat Keith Rowley.
Winner: Keith Rowley.

Fyzabad
Candidates: Joel Primus, PNM and Chandresh Sharma, UNC-CoP Coalition.
I know Chandresh is a smooth talker and Joel has serious PNM youth league credibility, but my blood doesn’t ken toward either of these guys. Primus in particular, through his writing in the newspapers and speeches strikes me as exactly the kind of troubling apparatchik redshirt that the party has always been danger of breeding.
Winner: Chandresh Sharma

La Brea
Candidates: Fitzgerald Jeffrey, PNM and Ernesto Kesar, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Labour’s a big issue in La Brea and its environs, but the PNM has been sensible about training people in the area for the jobs that are available in the heavy industries in the area. This has also been a PNM stronghold for decades.
Winner: Fitzgerald Jeffrey

La Horquetta/Talparo
Candidates: Nadra Nathai-Gyan, PNM, Jairam Seemungal, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Nadra’s a powerful contender in this constituency, a new one since the redrawing of the boundaries that’s been PNM since it was created. Jairam, meet Rocky. You guys have a lot to talk about. Start by Googling “straw man.”
Winner: Nadra Nathai-Gyan

Laventille East/Morvant
Candidates: Donna Cox, PNM and Kwasi Mutema, UNC-CoP Coalition.
This is one that’s going to be decided on the ground, but two more contrasting candidates one cannot imagine. The dashiki guy versus the colour contacts sistah.
Winner: Donna Cox

Laventille West
Candidates: Nileung Hypolite, PNM and Makandal Daaga, UNC-CoP Coalition.
This is one of those seats that’s going to be a bellwether about the real mood of the country. The PNM dude or the NJAC dude? That’s going to be a real indicator of change. I’m guessing not. I’d love to be wrong about this, but, Daaga’s like somebody’s 70’s grandad, isn’t he?
Winner: Nileung Hypolite

Lopinot/Bon Air West
Candidates: Neil Parsanal, PNM, Dr Lincoln Douglas, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Who is Dr Douglas? I hope that the people of this constituency know, because otherwise Neil’s gonna get a free ride.
Winner: Neil Parsanal

Mayaro
Candidates: Clifford Campbell, PNM and Winston ‘Gypsy’ Peters UNC-CoP Coalition.
Gypsy has brought Mayaro home four times out of the five elections since 2000.
This one’s going to be an uphill climb for Clifford.
Winner: Winston Peters.

Naparima
Candidates: Faiz Ramjohn, PNM and Nizam Baksh, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Nizam’s owned this seat since it was won in the 2000 election by Ralph Maharaj for the UNC. Nobody from the PNM has won this seat since 1971.
Winner: Nizam Baksh

Oropouche East
Candidates: Christin Ramdial, PNM and Roodal Moonilal, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Oropouche has been steadfastly UNC for at least two generations now. The split in the constituency hasn’t changed that at all.
Winner: Roodal Moonilal

Oropouche West
Candidates: Heather Cedeno, PNM and Stacy Roopnarine, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Oropouche, UNC stronghold. Will that hold true for a girl just out of her teens? Probably.
Winner: Stacy Roopnarine

Point Fortin
Candidates: Paula Gopee-Scoon, PNM and Nyahuma M Obika, UNC-CoP Coalition.
PNM through and through. Survived a representative who crossed the floor, and mouthed curses. Not likely to change.
Winner: Paula Gopee-Scoon

Pointe a Pierre
Candidates: Christine Kangaloo, PNM and Errol McLeod, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Until Christine came along, there hadn’t been a PNM presence in this constituency since 1991. Against Errol McLeod, who has a strong presence in this part of Trinidad and Tobago, it’s quite likely to swing back.
Winner: Errol McLeod  ???

Port of Spain North / St Ann’s West
Candidates: Patricia McIntosh, PNM and Annabelle Davis, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Annabelle’s got the social intervention credibility, Patricia has the educator history. Close call in a PNM stronghold. Will the legacy of the flagman tip things the coalition way? Hmmmm. No.
Winner: Patricia McIntosh

Port of Spain South
Candidates: Marlene McDonald, PNM and Giselle Russel, UNC-CoP Coalition.
This is the constituency in which I will be voting. I cannot imagine that Marlene McDonald will be returning to government because of the actions of my colleagues. I am not fond of this woman. Not her attitude, not her approach, not her manner. But this was the constituency of Dr Eric Williams and later his namesake, Eric Williams. The only time it left the grasp of the PNM was in the sweep of the NAR in 1986 when Teddy Guerra took the seat.
Winner: Marlene McDonald

Princes Town
Candidates: Annwarie Ramkissoon, PNM and Nela Khan, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Generally a UNC stronghold. Split in 2007 into North and South, with Subhas Panday taking the north and Peter Taylor taking the southern end which was merged with Tableland. It’s one constituency again now. Likely to return to form.
Winner: Nela Khan

San Fernando East
Candidates: Patrick Manning, PNM and Carol Cuffy-Dowlat, UNC-CoP Coalition.
I’m feeling a big upset here. The sentiments regarding the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, Patrick Manning, are sharply polarised and this is where it will play out.
Winner: Carol Cuffy-Dowlat  ??? ???

San Fernando West
Candidates: Junior Regrello, PNM and Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Junior Regrello is the Eddie Hart of the modern PNM. An easy going guy who works hard, came up through the ranks, has strong credentials in a field entirely unrelated to politics and would be the go to guy for the voter under normal circumstances. These are not normal circumstances.
Winner: Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan

Siparia
Candidates: Vidya Deokiesingh, PNM and Kamla Persad-Bissessar, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Kamla beat every set of odds raised against her. She slapped down Basdeo Panday and Ramesh Lawrence-Maharaj for the post of political leader of the UNC, stepped up to the role forcibly and clearly enough to rally virtually every party existing in opposition to the PNM into an unprecedented coalition.
Vidya, go give Nal and Rocky a pep talk. They need to understand that behind your smile are balls of steel.
Winner: Kamla Persad-Bissessar

St Anns East
Candidates: Joanne Thomas, PNM and Verna St Rose Greaves, UNC-CoP Coalition.
This should be a safe bet. St Anns East has been PNM since it was established except for Lincoln Myers’ tenure in the 1986 NAR sweep. I don’t think that will happen this year. Verna’s smart, persuasive and you don’t want her to shake her water bottle at you. No you don’t.
Winner: Verna St Rose Greaves  ???

St Augustine
Candidates: Balchandra Sharma, PNM and Prakash Ramadhar, UNC-CoP Coalition.
UNC seat. Prakash fills it admirably. Balchandra, the lime with Nal, Rocky and the boys is going strong.
Winner: Prakash Ramadhar

St Joseph
Candidates: Kennedy Swaratsingh, PNM, and Herbert Volney, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Two more guys I’m not feeling right about at all. Encountered Swaratsingh several times covering the IT efforts of the Ministry of Public Administration and everything about how Herbert Volney entered politics rubs me the wrong way. I don’t envy the voters of the St Joseph constituency having to choose between these two. Vote’s more likely to run on party than personality.
Winner: Herbert Volney  ??? ??? ???

Tabaquite
Candidates: Farouk Mohammed, PNM and Suruj Rambachan, UNC-CoP Coalition.
This used to be Adesh Nanan’s seat and it’s never really changed its paradigm.
Winner: Suruj Rambachan

Tableland/Moruga
Candidates: Augustus Thomas, PNM and Clifton De Coteau, UNC-CoP Coalition.
This is a new constituency in a district which has tended to swing to the UNC.
Winner: Clifton De Coteau

Tobago East
Candidates: Gizel Thomas-Roberts, PNM and Verna Alleyne Toppin, UNC-CoP Coalition.
The ways of Tobago are strange but definite. Once Orville London took a stage to apologise for the failings of the PNM in Tobago and to call the annoyance of the crowd with the party on himself, personally, it was clear that something fundamental was wrong over there.
Winner: Verna Alleyne Toppin  ???

Tobago West
Candidates: Terrence Williams, PNM and Dr Delmon Baker, UNC-CoP Coalition.
People underestimate the power of TOP leader Ashworth Jack appearing in advertisements seated side by side with Kamla Persad-Bissessar and the other opposition party leaders and appearing on the campaign trail in Trinidad. What Tobago wants is parity and more with its sister island and the first step in that process is respect. That’s what Jack is demanding and Tobago will notice it.
Winner: Delmon Baker  ???

Toco/Sangre Grande
Candidates: Eric ‘Pink Panther’ Taylor, PNM and Rupert Griffith, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Toco/Manzanilla used to be PNM town. Only the NAR changed that. Toco/Sangre Grande is more urban, so it should be more so. The PNM now has its own calypsonian on the campaign trail in a remote district. I don’t think it’s going to work.
Winner: Rupert Griffith

Tunapuna
Candidates: Esther Le Gendre, PNM and Winston Dookeran, UNC-CoP Coalition.
The only person of Indian descent to ever win the Tunapuna seat was Dr Emmanuel Hosein for the NAR and his career didn’t end well. Winston Dookeran is an earnest, powerful name in local politics that’s all too easy to ridicule. Esther Le Gendre has had a spotty time of it since being appointed Minister of Education.
Winner: Winston Dookeran  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:19:36 PM by Prematie Bheem »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »
De ting gettin sticky icky....

Outside PM's residence:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2010, 04:07:01 PM »

Outside PM's residence:

nice artistic touch  :devil: ::)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2010, 04:24:52 PM »

Outside PM's residence:

nice artistic touch  :devil: ::)
Artistic touch at breaking the law and defacing state property.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »

Education

The UNC neglected Teachers Training Colleges.  The PNM spent significantly to improve them and even increased the entry requirements of the service.

Technical/Vocational training. They neglected or discontinued  social programmes that assisted young people in this area.

The UNC stalled the passage of Police reform bills and anti money laundering legislation.

But Manning is a dictator so those things don't matter.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Artistic touch at breaking the law and defacing state property.

Nah man... it against Manning, so automatically that make it good.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2010, 04:53:07 PM »

Education

The UNC neglected Teachers Training Colleges.  The PNM spent significantly to improve them and even increased the entry requirements of the service.

Technical/Vocational training. They neglected or discontinued  social programmes that assisted young people in this area.

The UNC stalled the passage of Police reform bills and anti money laundering legislation.

Dat is d mantra. Manning is d problem so we get rid ah he all will b well.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Education

Noted. 

I think in particular that Kamla wasn't a very good Minister of Education.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2010, 05:01:40 PM »

Education

you serious Jah Gol?
dese UNC ent easy atal atall
no wonder Jack LOVES them
This is a real desperate move by ALL opposition parties to come together, no matter what their current stance is, just to get rid of the PNM
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:05:46 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »

Education

you serious Jah Gol?
dese UNC ent easy atal atall
no wonder Jack LOVES them
This is a real desperate move by ALL opposition parties to come together, no matter what their current stance is, just to get rid of the PNM

I was wukin police and d Police bills were UNC idea and then vote against it. I bet d DCP at the time that dey go vote against it and 1 d bet.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »

:thumbsup:

haha ah strike a nerve or wha? last time ah check the board was free speech, the truth does offend ignorant fools who cant debate a topic sensibly without insulting. save yuh monkey gland raising for carrera nah :devil:

1]; } ?>