March 28, 2024, 07:53:43 AM

Poll

Given the current state of Trinidad and Tobago, how and what will influence your decisions if you are given a chance to ink a finger?

PNM
25 (41%)
UNC
21 (34.4%)
COP
6 (9.8%)
NJAC
4 (6.6%)
Other
5 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: If Elections called today... how will all yuh vote?  (Read 96049 times)

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: If Elections called today... how will all yuh vote?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »
PNM all the way (if I could)
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 02:20:34 PM »

my point was that PNM is not ah african party bro, it's ah ppl's party, some of eric williams most loyal supporters were chinese! and the only reason the masses don't know that is BC they were a minority group @ the time.

I can not speak for the PNM under Eric but under Patrick, how the saying goes look like a duck, act like a duck. And the same can be said about the UNC.

This has been the posture that these parties have taken to ensure their base because at the end of the day all these politicans care about is themselves, they may be off the people but they are not for the people.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:07:40 PM by trinindian »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 02:47:46 PM »
ah see people voting PNM but they giving reason like they afraid the consequences if UNC win. vote strategic instead of voting conscience  :-[ .

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
ah see people voting PNM but they giving reason like they afraid the consequences if UNC win. vote strategic instead of voting conscience  :-[ .
cosign

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »
For those who doh support nun ah dem... ah cayr do that because their is no such thing as "nun ah dem" when yuh voting... One of the top 3 will win... and go on to run de country... if I had it my way I would still have the NAR... but this is wishful thinking..!

come on NAR in modern language is spelt COP.

Listen in my view, if an Indian had taken over the PNM, their base would not have accepted that - simple. Imagine is indian making most use of the pnmistic ways and benefiting behind the scenes and the african base didn't/doesnt mind that, but if an Indian take over leadership then it will be right up in their faces and that was/is unacceptable.

true dat.

Bullshit ... ribbit you never fail to disappoint. Viewed strictly through the lens of race, it would have been a watershed moment for the country, and possibly a favourable tipping point. There would have been no revolt of the masses because of the circumstances under which the transition would have occurred.

On a level it's difficult to distill the 80s political climate from the vantage point of hindsight and the vitriol of the political climate 30 years on, but the polarity and invective of present circumstances were unfamiliar then. It very well may have been a poor call by the powers that be (from the perspective of long-term political implications) to usher in Mr. Chambers.

Then again ... me eh know, I din have no Japanese garden in my backyard. ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:26:01 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2010, 05:17:57 PM »
Long live the virtues and the original precepts of Eric Williams

Wha kind of 'cult of personality' business yuh going on with?

AirMan

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »

Press Conference with Kamla Bissesar

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XfYmTzO6hcc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XfYmTzO6hcc</a>

AirMan

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 08:46:54 PM »
Prime Minister answers

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGS4gcz7e_4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JGS4gcz7e_4</a>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:49:43 PM by AirMan »

truetrini

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 10:51:37 PM »
For those who doh support nun ah dem... ah cayr do that because their is no such thing as "nun ah dem" when yuh voting... One of the top 3 will win... and go on to run de country... if I had it my way I would still have the NAR... but this is wishful thinking..!

Listen in my view, if an Indian had taken over the PNM, their base would not have accepted that - simple. Imagine is indian making most use of the pnmistic ways and benefiting behind the scenes and the african base didn't/doesnt mind that, but if an Indian take over leadership then it will be right up in their faces and that was/is unacceptable.

true dat.

Bullshit ... ribbit you never fail to disappoint. Viewed strictly through the lens of race, it would have been a watershed moment for the country, and possibly a favourable tipping point. There would have been no revolt of the masses because of the circumstances under which the transition would have occurred.

On a level it's difficult to distill the 80s political climate from the vantage point of hindsight and the vitriol of the political climate 30 years on, but the polarity and invective of present circumstances were unfamiliar then. It very well may have been a poor call by the powers that be (from the perspective of long-term political implications) to usher in Mr. Chambers.

Not so sure that it is bullshit you know.  The PNM had a great propensity to discriminate against Hindus, and while Kamal was NOT a hindu, you must remember that indians were bottom of the socio-economic ladder.

There was an interesting occurrence when lots of Indians boycotted the polls and PNM under Eric Williams swept every seat in the election.  Do you know what caused this to happen?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2010, 08:52:31 AM »
Fork that I voting UNC solely off of bad mind.

Is a sad situation because both parties is shit and providing a man with no viable options. And not voting is basically a vote for a party anyhow yuh take it.

But the way i see, PNM realize they up shit street so trying to force through an election quick quick before the shit hit the fan... Lewwe hurry up and jam dem before UNC sort themselves out and in a position to provide an option for better governance. They trying to ride the incumbency advantage to buy a next 5 years could continue with the bullshit?

Nah, i find thats insulting my intelligence... Almost as bad as McCain pulling in Palin on the sole basis of needing a woman as a running mate and expecting me to fall for that.

Kamla, Jack and the UNC all the way!

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »
Prime Minister Patrick Manning and Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar will both be in Tobago today for screening of PNM candidates and cementing of UNC Tobago allies, respectively. And both the ruling party and the Opposition UNC hit the road on Monday night in north and south Trinidad, respectively, each with the first of their election meetings. Leaders, MPs and party officials of each party will be speaking on the two respective platforms. Manning is going to Tobago today for screening of PNM’s Tobago East and West nominees. Screening begins at PNM’s Tobago office at 9.30 am, PNM’s Tobago Council confirmed.

UNC leader Persad-Bissessar will be in Tobago from 4.30 pm to meet with leader of the Tobago Organisation of People (TOP) Ashworth Jack to discuss TOP candidates to fight the two Tobago seats on behalf of the UNC. Persad-Bissessar yesterday reiterated that UNC would not be contesting the two Tobago seats, but was in discussions with TOP to have an arrangement for election. The PNM, which has put its cottage meetings and walkabouts on hold pending completion of screening, will hold the first of its public campaign meetings on Monday night in the heart of the East-West Corridor in St Augustine (near Hi-Lo car park). The UNC’s executive on Thursday night also agreed to kick off that party’s election campaign with a public meeting at Gopaul Lands (near Hi-Lo) in Marabella on Monday night, according to Persad-Bissessar.

She said statements which UNC MPs had prepared for the aborted no-confidence motion debate yesterday would be issued at UNC meetings. She alleged that the UNC had obtained “information” regarding the PNM Government, the controversial Guanapo church and the Shanghai Corporation. Yesterday, the PNM screened nominees for several more East-West Corridor seats, including D’Abadie/O’Meara, Caroni East, Chaguanas West, St Augustine (Esau Mohammed, who had unsuccessfully contested the seat), Arima (incumbent MP Pennelope Beckles and Senator Laurel Lezama), and St Ann’s East (incumbent Anthony Roberts). Among the Arima nominees, Beckles was nominated by 19 party groups and Lezama by three, according to Bobby Charles, assistant secretary of PNM’s Arima constituency executive, yesterday.

Today, Manning who heads PNM’s screening team will interview Tobago East incumbent MP Rennie Dumas who has been nominated by party groups for the seat again. The Tobago West nominee is banker Terrence Williams, of Canaan/Bon Accord, who is tipped to replace incumbent MP Standford Callendar. The latter did not sign a consent letter to be renominated and was therefore out of the running. On Wednesday, Callendar said in an interview that he had won the seat in general elections of 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2007, and had decided that he would not contest again and this would have been his last term. He said Manning’s decision to call an election had only shortened his term. Thanking his constituents and the ruling party “for the faith and confidence in me over the years,” Callendar added: “I have absolutely no problems with the election being called.

“I’ll be a big part of PNM’s upcoming campaign platform and together with PNM’s Tobago Council, I’ll also be helping the new Tobago West candidate,” he said. “I think the party is making an excellent nomination in Terrence Williams, a young man who is very intelligent and who, in my experience, seems committed to service and the interests of the people and party.
“I have every confidence he’ll be an excellent replacement for me in Tobago West.” After Tobago screening is completed this morning, the Screening team returns to screening at Balisier House in Port-of-Spain where nominees for seats, including Mayaro, will be interviewed this afternoon. Mayaro nominees include Clifford Campbell and Arvind Moonan. The PNM continues screening nominees next Tuesday, after Monday’s public meeting.

See Public Affairs
http://guardian.co.tt/commentary/columnist/2010/04/10/final-face-pmrowle...

:o
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Trinione

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 10:42:20 AM »
is Rowley a candidate this election?... or not decided yet?
if not I think PNM loosing Diego West.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »

Is a sad situation because both parties is shit and providing a man with no viable options. And not voting is basically a vote for a party anyhow yuh take it.

But the way i see, PNM realize they up shit street so trying to force through an election quick quick before the shit hit the fan... Lewwe hurry up and jam dem before UNC sort themselves out and in a position to provide an option for better governance. They trying to ride the incumbency advantage to buy a next 5 years could continue with the bullshit?

Nah, i find thats insulting my intelligence... Almost as bad as McCain pulling in Palin on the sole basis of needing a woman as a running mate and expecting me to fall for that.

Kamla, Jack and the UNC all the way!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eh  eh it is the \bad mind vote \ now.. general apathy? I am not saying that the present government has all the solutions and that the country is not  wreathing with discontentment but what are the other parties offering as solutions?

In my humble opinion the present party ought to have a  change of leadership ( mistake number one: put wife in office; put the same inept minister in charge of security; purchasing more boats without  trained and  people  loyal to the cause will not reduce or act as a deterrent to crime; overhaul of security forces needed; eradicate those who are suppose to uphold the law yet are in cahoots with 'badjohns') but given the state  and lack of substantive platforms by present opposing parties, I and not convinced that the alternatives will be any better or worse? WE MUST DEMAND ACCOUNTABILITY ; WE MUST DEMAND PRAGMATIC AND PRACTICAL PLANS FOR SOCIAL CHANGE RATHER THAN  VOTE WITH AH VEXATION or on account of  RACIAL AFFILIATION'

So with that being said, here is one for those who will vote based on apathy, party affiliation or otherwise:

PNM til I die. Is PNM  til I die.
You could tell meh you don’t love me and that’s the reason why.

Because you ent see eh talking nothing
Because you ent  see eh talking nothing
They going without telling people nothing

Dem  parties I  listening to doh even know
Dem  parties I  listening to doh even know
They looking for direction and they eh even know.

Each day pass without you ent see not  getting better
Each day pass without you ent see not  getting better
Ah doh know why ah fear them in power

But if PNM  leaving it may not be  for better
But if PNM  leaving it may not be  for better
That is why I  staying with PNM  and not the other

WAKE UP TNT
ASK THEM ALL FOR ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:15:13 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »
i fed up  :-\
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2010, 01:27:44 PM »

D congregation say AMENNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2010, 06:46:45 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ah laughing eh Omar, but that is the kinda sentiment I'm feeling.....people prepared to vote UNC just to teach Patrick a lesson....

D congregation say AMENNNNNNN

......and Amen and Amen and Amen....*sigh*
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

truetrini

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2010, 08:34:46 AM »

Is loose yuh say..lol

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2010, 10:09:19 AM »
 This  is the original question:Given the current state of Trinidad and Tobago, how and what will influence your decisions if you are given a chance to ink a finger?

• Leaders/individuals with substance
    Leaders/individuals with a strong moral fiber
    Leaders/individuals with ethics
    Leaders/individuals with a vision
    Leaders / individuals with a concrete plan to combat the social woes: crime, poverty, injustice, bureaucratic mismanaging
    Leaders/individuals who are truly seeking the improvement of the people and not self aggrandizing
    Individuals with a sense of  propriety for the collective/ common good
    PEOPLE/the individual before the PARTY...REGARDLESS OF RACE CREED OR RELIGION.

I am not surprised how quickly some folks defaulted to voting for a party without presenting  reasoned and critically informed factors to substantiate their choice.
"society, like fish, rots from the head, down - not in the other direction"
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:30:58 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »

Is loose yuh say..lol

lol
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2010, 08:00:39 AM »

true dat.

Not so sure that it is bullshit you know.  The PNM had a great propensity to discriminate against Hindus, and while Kamal was NOT a hindu, you must remember that indians were bottom of the socio-economic ladder.

There was an interesting occurrence when lots of Indians boycotted the polls and PNM under Eric Williams swept every seat in the election.  Do you know what caused this to happen?

To accept what you're suggesting, I would have to accept that the PNM was discerning in its discrimination of Hindus vis-a-vis Muslims vis-a-vis Indians as a collective per se. Yet still you remind me that Indians as a collective were at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder (a reality not created by the PNM incidentally).

A question I haven't had a definitive answer to is whether anyone of Indian ethnicity had a seat at the decision-making table when the transition created by Williams' passing occurred. I know there's popular lore as to reasons for what we saw in public view as it relates to race relations (and the subsequent growth of the legend/myth? such as promoted by ribbit ... However, in other words, was there Indian 'complicity' in the decision as to the successor? Was there successor planning? Was there a disgruntled core of disllusioned Indian PNMites following the decision? Was there an exodus/switching of political allegiance as a result of the decision?

Can we ignore that the decision occurred under constitutional fiat? What was the extent of the discretion involved given the former? Upon whose recommendation did the appointment occur?

Just asking.

+++

The events of the 1971 election boycott are not properly characterized as an Indian boycott. Nor are they completely characterized as an Indian boycott. As you know, there were several antecedent events leading to (and including) the inability of the opposition to coalesce.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:00:28 PM by asylumseeker »

truetrini

« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2010, 02:16:49 PM »
The events of the 1971 election boycott are not properly characterized as an Indian boycott. Nor are they completely characterized as an Indian boycott. As you know, there were several antecedent events leading to (and including) the inability of the opposition to coalesce.

What about the series of motorcades threatening people?  I saw it with my own eyes and heard the talk of violence...culminating with a drive around the Queens Park Savannah and down Frederick Street.

While the Hindus voted against the PNM for ever, the Muslims and Presbyterians voted PNM.  The demogrpahics support this and is factual!

Based on this tribal voting the Hindus were marginalized..again FACTUAL!  If the PNM were interested in changing this they had ample opportunity.  They could have brought some hindus into the fold but they did not as they felt they did not need them to win, until the population demographic changed, and Hindus increased in numbers.

It is true that the PNm were not responsible for Indians being at the foot of the socio-economic ladder, but they did very little to help them climb up that same ladder.

hINDUS HAVE BEEN LARGELY MARGINALIZED BY THE pnm, THEY REFERRED TO THE OPPOSITION AS TROUBLESOME COOLIES AND hINDUS.  tHAT IS A FACT, i AM NOT SURE WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN LIVING, but what I am saying I KNOW is FACT!

They even refuaed the people a radio license!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:26:39 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »
Fackery

Everyone of the rich hindus got their wealth with the PNM government in power, Moonan Seeram brother, Junior Sammy, Ish, just to name a few all got bigggggg contracts from the PNM, long before NAR, UNC and COp come into being

Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

truetrini

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »
Fackery

Everyone of the rich hindus got their wealth with the PNM government in power, Moonan Seeram brother, Junior Sammy, Ish, just to name a few all got bigggggg contracts from the PNM, long before NAR, UNC and COp come into being

Corruption is different from supplying the masses fool!   Black Power really meant negro power and the indians did not even view NJAC and Granger as representing them, black protesters, black police and a black government.

Name me the Hindu Cabinet Minister in a PNM government!  Jes one!  Steups.  NONE ah allyuh could teaCH ME ANYTHING ABOUT THE pnm..none!!!!

yES THERE WERE A FEW iNDIANS WITH njac, BUT THEY were UWI students and some muslims, who beleived that NAJC included them...but the majority, VAST majority did not buy into black power...!

I wonder how blacks would have felt if Indians had raised clenched fists and shouted "Indian Power!"

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2010, 03:05:31 PM »
Why are you using this forum for your racist rants...   
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

truetrini

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »
Why are you using this forum for your racist rants...   

Let me inform you..I am black,, there is NO racist rants fool!  Just the truth that you cannot handle.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
I wonder how blacks would have felt if Indians had raised clenched fists and shouted "Indian Power!"

I support your position regarding this ... and there's ample support in my record on the forum, should anyone doubt that.

+++

Well, I know you know the intricacies of the PNM ... so we eh go waste time on that ... but I will ask what did Mohammed, Mahabir, and Chambers each bring to the table in EW's view?

And, of course, the questions I raised above are not negated by you being an eyewitness to history.

+++

As far as bringing Hindus in particular into the fold? Here's an excerpt from US Army Intelligence:

After his election in 1961, Williams reached an understanding with R.N. Capildeo, the Hindu DLP leader, under which the DLP was consulted in some national decisions and DLP members were sent abroad on diplomatic missions. Capildeo was allowed a special leave of absence from Parliament to spend the greater part of the year in London. Although the understanding appeared, on the surface, to be a magnanimous gesture on Williams's part, it was a skillful political move because it left the opposition party without a leader in Trinidad and Tobago. Capildeo's high-handed absentee management alienated many within the DLP, especially blacks. In 1964 many non-East Indians defected from the DLP and founded the Liberal Party of Trinidad, reducing the DLP representation in the House from ten to seven.

http://countrystudies.us/caribbean-islands/54.htm

Thought I would point that out lest anyone think the historical definition of Indo-African political interface turned on the PNM.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:33:56 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »
In keeping with some of the recent posts thought I would share this article, I found the highlighted sections thought provking.
____________________________________________________________________________________
The Road to Independence and Dr. Eric Williams
Posted: Tuesday, September 5, 2006

tntmirror.com
September 01, 2006

AS we celebrate Independence this year we should reflect on the road to our freedom.

It is said that self-government was gradually increased between 1946 and 1961 and the elections of those years served as dress rehearsals for independence.

From 1946 to 1955, East Indians were the best organised group in Trinidad and Tobago, according to history books.
Comprising only 35 per cent of the population in 1946, East Indians won almost half of the elected seats in the Legislative Council that year.

They used their votes to finally secure the legal right to marry and bury their dead according to Hindu and Muslim rites.

Since their arrival in Trinidad more than a century earlier, many East Indians had been classified as illegitimate because no unregistered marriage was considered legal for inheritance purposes.

Political parties remained fragmented in the 1950 elections, often united, as one historian has put it, by nothing more than a "common passion for the spoils of office."

One hundred forty-one candidates contested the 18 elected seats; the single largest bloc of seats on the Legislative Council, eight out of 26, was captured by an alliance between the "Butler party" and East Indian leaders.

The British and the non-East Indians disliked the idea of having Butler and his supporters come to power.

After the 1950 elections, none of Butler's party was chosen to sit on the Executive Council, the result being that Gomes practically ran the government.

Within the restrictions of his semi-autonomous government, Gomes tried to function as a mediator between capital and labor and to placate both Britain and Trinidad and Tobago.

He had limited success, however, and constitutional reform was postponed until 1955, with elections scheduled for the following year.

The election of 1956 was a watershed in the political history of Trinidad and Tobago because it determined the course of the country for the next thirty years.

Gomes was defeated, and a new party, the PNM, captured power and held it until 1986.

PNM founder and leader Eric Williams dominated the political scene from 1956 until his death in 1981.

Williams was a native Trinidadian who had spent almost 20 years abroad in Britain and the United States.

Although his family was poor, Williams had received a very good education by winning scholarships and had earned a First Class Oxford degree.

Williams' academic prowess set the standard for all Trinidadian and Tobagonian political leaders through the late 1980s.

While at Oxford, Williams was subjected to a number of racial slights, and he also suffered racial discrimination when he worked for the Anglo-American Caribbean Commission in Washington from 1948 to 1955, an organisation created in 1942 to co-ordinate nonmilitary aspects of Caribbean policy.

This discrimination profoundly and permanently affected Williams' outlook on life and his politics.

He was a man who knew himself to be the intellectual equal of educated people in Oxford, London, and Washington, and he felt that he had not been accepted as such.

Returning to Trinidad in 1948 as deputy chairman of the Caribbean Research Council of the Caribbean Commission, Williams involved himself in cultural, educational, and semi-political activities and became well known.

In 1956 he decided to enter politics and to forge a political party, the People's National Movement (PNM).

The PNM was created by middle-class professionals who were mainly but not exclusively black.

Its main support came from the black community, although Williams was also able to attract some whites and East Indians.

Williams gained a public constituency and a loyal party following by giving lectures in Woodford Square, the main square in Port of Spain.

His lectures on Caribbean history were attended by thousands, and Williams dubbed his interaction with the crowd the "University of Woodford Square."

There, Williams forged a bond with the people that remained even after his death 25 years later.

Trinidadians and Tobagonians were proud to have an international scholar in their midst. Williams gave them a sense of national pride and confidence that no other leader was able to match.

His charisma and leadership made it possible for the new party to be independent from existing political organisations and from trade unions.

PNM leaders envisioned a broad national party that would include both capitalists and labourers; as such, the PNM rejected socialism and welcomed foreign capital investment.

In 1956 the PNM captured a slim majority of the elected seats on the Legislative Council, receiving 39.8 per cent of the vote.

Butler's party and the TLP split the other elected seats.

The British governor, who controlled five appointed seats and two ex-officio seats, filled all of these with men acceptable to the PNM, thus giving the party a majority of two-thirds of the seats on the Legislative Council.

Because the British were hoping to form a Caribbean federation or, as a second choice, to launch viable independent countries, it was in their interest to support Williams, a charismatic black leader who had founded a strong political party, who had international education and experience, and who believed in private domestic and foreign investment.

Between 1956 and 1962, Williams consolidated his political base and resolved two very important issues: federation and the presence of United States bases on Trinidad.

The British created the West Indies Federation in 1958.

During the next four years, 10 island nations, including Trinidad and Tobago, struggled without success to make the federation into a government.

The two largest nations, Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica, had opposing viewpoints; the former advocated a strong federal government, whereas the latter preferred a weak one.

Trinidad and Tobago, with its higher revenues, preferred representation according to financial contribution, but Jamaica, with its larger population, wanted representation on the basis of population.

After Jamaica decided in September 1961 not to remain in the federation, Trinidad and Tobago also decided to withdraw, not wishing to be tied to eight small, poor islands for which it would be financially responsible.

Despite British assistance and Williams' compelling personality, the PNM did not come to rule Trinidad and Tobago without a struggle.

A number of groups united to oppose the PNM in the federal elections of 1958 under the banner of the Democratic Labour Party (DLP).

Once again the campaign became racially polarised as the DLP attracted the East Indians and others who were left out of the PNM.

East Indians felt that their cultural identity might be lost if they did not stick together.

They deplored marriages between East Indians and blacks because they considered blacks to have an inferior culture; East Indians were less hostile to marriage with whites.

Blacks also looked with disfavor on intermarriage with East Indians.

In addition, the East Indian middle class, which had developed since the 1930s, seemed a threat to the black professionals who were just coming to power.

The PNM increased its share of the vote in the 1958 election from 39.8 per cent in 1956 to 48 per cent; under the winner-take-all rule, however, the DLP won 6 out of the 10 contested seats, as most of its victories came in regions where the East Indians had an absolute majority.

The PNM profited from the British policy of granting increasing self-government to Trinidad and Tobago.

Cabinet government was introduced in 1959; the governor no longer presided over the Executive Council, the Executive Council and chief minister were renamed cabinet and premier (the pre-independence title for prime minister), and the premier had the right to appoint and dismiss ministers.

Mindful of their slim majority in the 1958 election, leaders of the PNM determined to take whatever steps were necessary to win the 1961 elections and be the party to lead Trinidad and Tobago into independence.

The PNM decided to use the issue of the withdrawal of the United States from the Chaguaramas naval base to unify the country and solidify their political base.

In party rallies in 1959 and 1960, Williams pledged that the flag of Trinidad and Tobago would soon fly over Chaguaramas and also declared independence from Britain and from the 1941 Lend-Lease Agreement.

Declaring that Trinidad and Tobago would not exchange British colonialism for the United States variety, Williams rallied the country to oust the United States from Chaguaramas and to support the PNM.

When British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan came to Port of Spain in June 1960, he told the government that he would open negotiations between the United States and Trinidad and Tobago over Chaguaramas and that Trinidad and Tobago would be an independent participant.

Once Williams had won the right for Trinidad and Tobago to sit as an equal with the United States and Britain, he cooled his anti-imperialist rhetoric.

The December 1960 settlement gave the United States base rights until 1977 and granted Trinidad and Tobago US$30 million in United States Agency for International Development assistance money for road construction and education.

The United States closed the naval base at Chaguaramas in 1967.

The December 1961 election, which took place after Trinidad and Tobago had received full internal self-government within the West Indies Federation, was characterised by the use of racial appeals by both parties.

The main constitutional issue was the drawing of electoral boundaries.

Pro-PNM supporters broke up DLP meetings with stone throwing; the government declared a State of Emergency in areas where East Indians were a majority and called out 3,000 police.

The PNM used its government leadership to good advantage.

Responding to labour unrest, Williams gave all government workers a raise during the summer of 1961.

He also moved politically to the right, purging some left-wing supporters who had been prominent in the Chaguaramas fight.

The PNM profited from the fact that the DLP was not a unified party.

Its leader had been ill, and younger East Indians felt that his lack of education was a liability when contrasted with Williams.

During the DLP political infighting, the new generation of East Indian professionals chose Rudranath Capildeo, a high-caste Hindu, to head the DLP.
Although Capildeo was highly educated, a Ph.D. and a fully qualified barrister, he lacked Williams' ability to appeal to the masses.

Eighty-eight per cent of the voters turned out for the December 1961 election; in a vote that largely followed ethnic lines, Williams and the PNM won with 57 per cent.

Reflecting the ethnic split, Williams filled the 12 cabinet slots with eight blacks, two whites, and two East Indians -- one Christian and one Muslim.

Appointees for the newly created Senate followed similar lines.

As Trinidad and Tobago faced independence, the Black middle class was firmly in power.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:59:30 PM by trinindian »

AirMan

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2010, 01:04:38 AM »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2010, 04:16:43 PM »
OBAMA men advise UNC...
..link  http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/04/13/obama-men-advise-unc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YES WE CAN....so what? how much did that cost to bring in these high price consultants? for less I could  come and say based on the sentiments of the electorates, the biased ways in which people want to vote and the general lack  or "I doh care what all yuh have as plans" as long as allyuh run against the PNM that go take care of the discontentment,  and disenchantment allyuh have good  chances of winning.
How come jackasses cyar see that; they have tuh  go bring in  these folks...lawd and  that is to impress which people?

Is the context the same?  well then again with the way people does quote us $$$$ prices for every flipping thing you would think that TNT nationals working and making US $$$$.

Is the strategy to  win an election or to have some real concrete plans to alleviate the ills that plague TNT society?  Spend money time  consultants devising  pragmatic and  workable  frameworks that would  benefit teh common good of all; despite RACE CREED GENDER .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:25:36 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
Let  thy People go!!!! out of the depths  have we cried..... who will lead?

Leaders of integrity where are you?

I cast my vote for.........

1]; } ?>