April 24, 2024, 07:38:33 AM

Poll

Given the current state of Trinidad and Tobago, how and what will influence your decisions if you are given a chance to ink a finger?

PNM
25 (41%)
UNC
21 (34.4%)
COP
6 (9.8%)
NJAC
4 (6.6%)
Other
5 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: If Elections called today... how will all yuh vote?  (Read 96802 times)

AirMan

Re: If Elections called today... how will all yuh vote?
« Reply #330 on: May 22, 2010, 11:44:09 PM »

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 23, 2010, 05:48:51 AM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:52:37 AM by big dawg »
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2010, 06:23:22 AM »
The PNM will the election and there will be a great deal of bitterness to follow. I wouldn't use the word 'explode' like Bourbon but there will be real venom for weeks to come.

U know if dey did not behave like dey win it ahready u know like Anil say dey win ah ready dey would b no need 4 venom. They would just say hard luck and lets keep d govt honest. But nah dem go b bitter as gawl because dey eh want d best 4 TNT. Dey go continue 2 oppose evryting even legislaion dey propose like d police bills.

Both parties are behaving like they win already. Since the campaign started is a setta "Next MP for" and "Next Prime Minister" talk. Grandcharging is par for the course.

No luv dat is rum talk is d way dey behave when u interact wit dem on d street/gas station etc. Anil say we win ahready. 

Who de ass is dis "dem" and dis "we" I keep hearing bout?

i deciphered that code talk higher up already as seen through the eyes of the people who vex with the pnm but voting for them anyways...,.......them is indian which equals is UNC.....and we is negro which equals  PNM.....

not really..We is you and your peeps...and them is dem and they peeps
like in 95 when unc won, all over this country (except in tobago), yuh had written up on every available wall...'is we time now'...who was the 'we' then?...it all depends on the side of the fence you standing.
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2010, 07:03:24 AM »
hmmm i wonder if i can log in with a different name and pad the results of the poll above?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2010, 07:10:12 AM »
anybody see the ad with kamla as the puppet?  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: these ads is real kicks yes...
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2010, 07:14:11 AM »
All this set of back and forth, back and forth. Anyone of allyuh pundits know why we are having an early elections YET???

Come Tuesday next week, its a continuation of the same assness - doesn't matter if it's the same people or ah coalition. Same assness will happen. Some of allyuh doing like it will be the dawning of a new beginning. Try and remember is the same set of recycled politicians.

All these policies/promises will come and meet we still pending whenever next elections is called.

Race? Man fack face, all ah allyuh hafta to live and work with each other STILL.

prophetess? is that u???  ;D

Nah it's God! Watch meh good!

But under serious talk sammy. I don't know your age or how much elections/change of government you have seen. But in previous elections and all these promises and policies talk - has any come to play? Any of significance that is? How long did it take to build ONE overpass? We expect 10 hospitals and 6 more highways before the next scheduled elections?

Is only in Trinidad and Tobago, a man and his 114 murderers can kill people, burn down buildings turn a whole country upside down, hold a government hostage and yet be able to form a party for elections.  I'm not wishing nobody no damn good luck bullshit. Come Tuesday is back to working with one another. and hopefully a band launch can bring us back together. Go wine on something.....anything!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:16:50 AM by Prematie Bheem »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2010, 07:24:38 AM »
Hey I have a question.

The degrees received from the University of TnT or the other one (forgot name), are they recognized in north america or any other country?  Not talking about those at Roytec and the Uwee.

I was reading some comments on a UNC/COP/TOP/ABC/MACO uhmm whatever else yes, forum and some of the people were saying that they were not. So now i'm wondering why not and does this make any damn sense to go to school and only have our degrees recognized in the Caribbean only?

Or are these people mis leading in their comments.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #337 on: May 23, 2010, 07:57:15 AM »
Hey I have a question.

The degrees received from the University of TnT or the other one (forgot name), are they recognized in north america or any other country?  Not talking about those at Roytec and the Uwee.

I was reading some comments on a UNC/COP/TOP/ABC/MACO uhmm whatever else yes, forum and some of the people were saying that they were not. So now i'm wondering why not and does this make any damn sense to go to school and only have our degrees recognized in the Caribbean only?

The UTT received accreditation locally and established affiliations with some major universities in the United States and Britain.  I don't think they have international recognition as yet. I understand your point but I want to emphasize that UTT only started in 2003 and meaningful operations at around academic year 05/06. Moreover it should be noted that the intention is to train students for local industry.

Also notethat World Bank statistics pointed to an graduate immigration rate of more the 78 % in T&T, that was in the year 2000, before the introduction of GATE.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #338 on: May 23, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »
Hey I have a question.

The other school is the University of the Southern Caribbean. Do not go to that school.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2010, 08:13:24 AM »
Hey I have a question.

is it COSTAATT that you are thinking of?

I think that the various programs are in the process of earning accreditation.  I don't think it's an unusual situation for a young tertiary institute.

I think it makes sense.  The education itself is sound and the majority of people in the system will only ever look for work in T&T or the wider Caribbean.  Many people get Associates degrees at COSTAATT and go on to do very well at UWI if that is any indication.  With these institutions in place the only thing stopping somebody from earning a degree is their capacity for putting in the work.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2010, 08:48:30 AM »
The point was not to say that a Mr Imbert  and Mrs Browne equals a J. Warner or Volney, simply to point out that there are undesirables in each party.
Enjoy the wine , like a true trini the party does not start till midnight.

Which is why I said yuh couldn't be serious... there is the fact that none of their transgressions (that I know of) are on par with Warner's... and Volney's questionable personal and professional ethics.  Then there's also the fact that neither Browne nor Imbert, reviled as they may be, are being offered for positions of import within their respective parties.  Nothing against either portfolio, but Jack Warner is UNC-COP party leader-in-waiting... Volney by virtue of his professional training and status, you'd have to assume will be offered a high-ranking portfolio, greater even than that of Minister of Legal Affairs.

------------------------------

Yuh know how we Trinis (and WI's in general are) reach late and fete 'til de earlies, lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2010, 08:51:41 AM »
it was said more than once in "The General elections thread"..it was said by Daft Trini and one time Jumbie corrected him  by saying.
"the whole indian this and negro this is what have the facking country where it is today. no responsibility for one's actions and bawl we deprived. time to get up and get... and take care of your own.
I juss facking fedup of the blatant disrespect for people on this forum."

dont know if he deleted the original statement or was the mods or deleted it..

Now no offense to de man (Daft Trini) and i am targeting him. I am just responding to your question..In fact Daft Trini went on further explain why he made that comment in that particular thread..

Daft Trini (much like Capo) you'd have to take what he says with a grain of salt, simply because when they speak of Indians they speak of themselves or their family.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2010, 08:54:41 AM »
The PNM will the election and there will be a great deal of bitterness to follow. I wouldn't use the word 'explode' like Bourbon but there will be real venom for weeks to come.

U know if dey did not behave like dey win it ahready u know like Anil say dey win ah ready dey would b no need 4 venom. They would just say hard luck and lets keep d govt honest. But nah dem go b bitter as gawl because dey eh want d best 4 TNT. Dey go continue 2 oppose evryting even legislaion dey propose like d police bills.

Both parties are behaving like they win already. Since the campaign started is a setta "Next MP for" and "Next Prime Minister" talk. Grandcharging is par for the course.

No luv dat is rum talk is d way dey behave when u interact wit dem on d street/gas station etc. Anil say we win ahready. 

Who de ass is dis "dem" and dis "we" I keep hearing bout?

i deciphered that code talk higher up already as seen through the eyes of the people who vex with the pnm but voting for them anyways...,.......them is indian which equals is UNC.....and we is negro which equals  PNM.....

not really..We is you and your peeps...and them is dem and they peeps
like in 95 when unc won, all over this country (except in tobago), yuh had written up on every available wall...'is we time now'...who was the 'we' then?...it all depends on the side of the fence you standing.

signal, yuh wastin time tryin to explain to sammy. he talkin bout who pushin race talk when he clearly is d one tryin to push bobol. clearly he doh know what a pronoun is.
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 23, 2010, 08:55:46 AM »
I don't live in Chaguanas East and I am not voting for Jack Warner. Neither am I in St. Joseph voting for Volney. If I had that privilege, the choice would be easily made.
It sounds, that by your thinking, a vote for the coalition is a vote for either of these gentlemen. Then I'm sure you can understand why some people think that a vote for any PNM candidate is a vote (and endorsement) for Manning and his herd of sheep.

Yes, absolutely.  Whether they carry their respective seats or not you can bet your bottom dollar that either will hold positions of great influence within a UNC-COP government.

As for your second supposition... of course I understand, I have sufficient reservations myself about Manning to understand why people would want to vote anti-PNM.  What I don't understand is why you think it necessary to ask me the question... I never questioned the anyone's voting preferences *shrug*

EDIT:

I like Kamla... but I think she real bounce she head when it comes to this Faustian bargain she strike with Jack.  Yuh know what they say about laying down with dogs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:45:23 AM by Bake n Shark »

AirMan

« Reply #344 on: May 23, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
http://guardian.co.tt/commentary/columnist/2010/05/18/those-people

Those people
David E Bratt MD
Published: 18 May 2010
David E Bratt MD

Overheard in the Four Roads Hi-Lo supermarket last week: “Boy, yuh make up yuh mind yet? Make sure yuh vote for we or dey go send we back to Africa.” The speaker was an elderly pensioner talking to another.

logoThis election was always about race. Even if scientists say there is no such thing, anecdotes trump research any time. I had intended to repeat the litany of woes about the present Manning administration: lack of governance; the hundreds of millions wasted on grand-charging at summits; empty skyscrapers; kidnappings which the Government thinks is a joke; The failure to stop the 3,000 murders and the unspoken fear that the ruling party was part of it through its dealings with “community leaders;” Cepep; Udecott and the Uff Commission of Enquiry; Calder Hart and his unbelievable closeness to the Prime Minister; perjury allegations that have gone nowhere; Rowley’s accusations and flip flop;

Political interference with the appointments of the Commissioner of Police and the Director of Public Prosecution; the illegal coat-of-arms on the PM’s car; the condition of President’s House; the Integrity Commission debacles; the indecent dependency on foreign consultants and Chinese workers; candalous procurement processes; The hasty attempts to arrest a Chief Justice on a Friday afternoon; discrimination against the Maha Sabha in granting a FM radio broadcasting licence; the emasculation of the EMA; the illegal rally in Woodford Square under police protection whilst a motion against the Government was being debated across the street; the $2 million flag; the abandoned hospitals and health centres; The 30 per cent SEA failures year after year with no one knowing why; the lack of diversification of the economy whilst inviting foreign companies to exploit gas and oil under conditions unknown to most of the population; the squandering of oil and gas money for a second time, $300 billion gone; the deal with Abu Bakr prior to the 2002 election, as outlined by the Privy Council;

The inefficient Licensing Offices, District Revenue Offices, courts, Passport Office and ministries; the traffic; the enormity of corruption within the state-owned special purpose entities; the Tarouba stadium; the scholarship scandal involving the Ministry of Culture; NAPA; the Scarborough Hospital; the state-of-the-art radar that does not work; the three blimps; the fast-speed radar boats and the attack helicopters; the destruction of the Grand Stand and a large part of the Savannah; The crippling of the calypso tents; the ICC Cricket World Cup “brown bag“ fiasco; the desalination plants; the wonderful smelters; the berm at Beetham; a Minister of Finance and author of a book on ethics who did not understand the meaning of “fixed deposit;” Clico; The property tax; the “palace;” the bacchanal surrounding the Guanapo church and the threats to reporters investigating it; the blatant attempts to give the Government control over the judiciary as outlined by the present Chief Justice; The constitutional draft, written by unknowns, that would make the PM an “executive president” with control over everything, a la Burnham; the incom- prehensible security details and blaring sirens that we have had to tolerate in an island the size of a large American city; the surprise visit to the radio station; the insulting entrance into Mr Villafana’s property; the prophetess and the intrusion of religion into what is supposed to be a secular state.

Above all, the “gimme gimme dependency syndrome” the PNM has encouraged amongst its supporters and the pandering to the lowest common denominator, ie, race. Race equals group prejudice equals group politics in T&T. This sense of group functions along two important levels. One level involves the obvious dimension of domination, of hierarchical ordering and positioning as typified by the political cry: “Trinidad is PNM country.” A second critical level, however, involves a dimension of exclusion and inclusion, of socio-emotional embrace and rejection. “We culture.” This exclusion and inclusion dimension, again, invokes an emotional basis to the sense of group. Listen to the radio talk shows and hear the various tribes talk about “those people!” Race prejudice is a protective device. It functions, however shortsightedly, to preserve the integrity and the position of the dominant group, even if there is corruption, incompetence and lack of integrity.

It is race that is behind the commess that is going on in T&T, the tacit understanding that it is all gobar but that it is our gobar so it is all right. The righteous concerns within the PNM apparently have given in. That must change. Politics in T&T is a politics waiting to be broken. Until we recognise this, until we move away from race as the defining feature of our politics, we will struggle. The island is too small. From my reading of the issues, it is the present PNM party, molded in the image of one man, that is holding most to race. They have failed us. It is the coalition of parties that offers the best hope of escape from the politics of race. They may fail again but there is no alternative. I will support the People’s Partnership coalition next Monday.

boy not a man jack could comment negatively about this article in the Guardian..

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
anybody see the ad with kamla as the puppet?  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: these ads is real kicks yes...

it rivals the chipanddales one. i cant believe tv stations allow to show this
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZTkbYurvVlA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZTkbYurvVlA</a>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTkbYurvVlA

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZTkbYurvVlA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ZTkbYurvVlA</a>
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZTkbYurvVlA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZTkbYurvVlA</a>

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »
yeh it sweet lol
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah it is real kicks, but on a serious note the last frame says it all... and it goes back to the article that talks about the race dilemma on both sides. It have plenty people fed up with manning and he chupidness, but can't swallow the pill that they have to vote for an Indian (and female) prime minister. They actually considering giving Manning validation for his dotishness by giving him a mandate for another 5 years.... and dey making all kinda excuses not to vote for Kamla and dem. They would not even consider that PNM probably needs to get rid of Manning and start fresh again.

On the flipside there's the message that Kamla is only a puppet and if "Jack and dem in control," the East Indian interests will not be served.

Interesting to see what will happen come Monday. Allyuh take lyrics.........................(and check the year!) 1987......lol

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3XPLSPvcKY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/C3XPLSPvcKY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:25:30 PM by Conquering Lion »
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 23, 2010, 02:07:03 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 23, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »
I don't live in Chaguanas East and I am not voting for Jack Warner. Neither am I in St. Joseph voting for Volney. If I had that privilege, the choice would be easily made.
It sounds, that by your thinking, a vote for the coalition is a vote for either of these gentlemen. Then I'm sure you can understand why some people think that a vote for any PNM candidate is a vote (and endorsement) for Manning and his herd of sheep.

Yes, absolutely.  Whether they carry their respective seats or not you can bet your bottom dollar that either will hold positions of great influence within a UNC-COP government.

As for your second supposition... of course I understand, I have sufficient reservations myself about Manning to understand why people would want to vote anti-PNM.  What I don't understand is why you think it necessary to ask me the question... I never questioned the anyone's voting preferences *shrug*

EDIT:

I like Kamla... but I think she real bounce she head when it comes to this Faustian bargain she strike with Jack.  Yuh know what they say about laying down with dogs.

Was just responding to your comment about my sig. I know you haven't questioned anyone's voter preferences, and i was more interested in others seeing your response than in you answering the question, if you get what i mean.

Of course Kamla bounce her head, the same way she bounce it with Volney. But where realpolitik reigns common sense goes out the door unfortunately. Political campaigns cost money and all the Bas financiers own tied up in lawyer fees or being with held.

When is a choice between being mauled by the pitbulls (they say they love children) and ketching fleas from the pompeks I taking fleas any day. And yes I'm fully aware is real fleas in we mudda a$$.
But I done stock up on sevins powder long time now.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 23, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »
lol even the thread votes too close to call, but UNC have the edge with the partnership.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 23, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »
Arouca/Maloney
Candidates: Alicia Hospedales, PNM and Anna Maria Mora, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Tough call. Alicia Hospedales is the incumbent. Anna Maria Mora is a strong contender with serious social intervention credibility. Expect a strong sympathy pull for Hospedales, who was doused in paint by a political dissenter, but Mora is well-known, capable and intelligent. I give her the nod.
Winner: Anna Maria Mora.

Barataria/San Juan
Candidates: Joseph Ross, PNM and Fuad Khan, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Wow. Barataria and San Juan should love Joseph Ross, except that he’s so utterly bland and when he’s not, so reflexively unlikable that Fuad Khan has a real shot at taking this one home. Both men sport likeable public smiles and Joseph Ross has been the public eye a lot as Minister of Tourism, except that may not actually turn out to be an asset if anyone remembers what he’s been saying.
Winner: Joseph Ross.

D’Abadie/O’Meara
Candidates: Karen Nunez-Teshiera, PNM and Anil Roberts, UNC-CoP Coalition.
Here are two people everybody knows. Anil may not be your cup of tea, but Karen’s a strong drink even for the experienced political imbiber.
Winner: Anil Roberts

Diego Martin North/East
Candidates: Colm Imbert, PNM and Garvin Nicholas, UNC-CoP Coalition.
If there’s anyone who’s more universally disliked than the Prime Minister in this election, it’s Colm Imbert, who is widely regarded as his facilitator in matters of public works. Nobody’s denying the value of the overpass and the water taxis executed under Imbert’s transport portfolio, but oh, the man sooo irritating.
Garvin’s largely a political unknown, despite contesting an election or two in the past, but he has one unerring advantage in Diego Martin North/East and that’s not being Colm Imbert.
Winner: Garvin Nicholas

San Fernando East
Candidates: Patrick Manning, PNM and Carol Cuffy-Dowlat, UNC-CoP Coalition.
I’m feeling a big upset here. The sentiments regarding the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, Patrick Manning, are sharply polarised and this is where it will play out.
Winner: Carol Cuffy-Dowlat

St Anns East
Candidates: Joanne Thomas, PNM and Verna St Rose Greaves, UNC-CoP Coalition.
This should be a safe bet. St Anns East has been PNM since it was established except for Lincoln Myers’ tenure in the 1986 NAR sweep. I don’t think that will happen this year. Verna’s smart, persuasive and you don’t want her to shake her water bottle at you. No you don’t.
Winner: Verna St Rose Greaves

Yeah..... the exact opposite is going to happen in these seats. Pure rumtalk. I could also add Tobago West to the list. 

Rum/Whisky/Beer  dey so intoxicated it eh funny

Typical trinitis. Like you miss the most important part of the article:
People who “call the elections” usually have the capacity to do polls, come to the table with an extensive understanding of political history and degrees to match and enjoy some reputation.

I am not one of those people.

So here are my election predictions, based on nothing more than a casual remembrance of who these people are in public life, the general public perception of them and, frankly, what they look like in their photographs.

This is really a test of my theory that the majority of people who show up in a polling station with no strong commitment to one party or another make their choices on nothing more than one or more of my own criteria for judgement.
On May 25th, we’ll all know just how valid a process this might be.

The fact that people are even commenting on the quality of the prediction beggars belief
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 23, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
My fellow forumites...

I do believe that some of the words and actions we have seen in the last week and a half, prove that this election campaign has overstayed its welcome. Commandeering the nation's television stations for politicking, defacing the PM's residence, Mariano Brown's office, Errol Mcleod's office, "running" potential candidates on walkabouts, telling an 81 year old man expressing his political opinion to "stop making a fool of himself...you are 81 years old", bringing candidate's families into disrepute, carjacking candidates vehicles and stealing their documents, dousing candidates with paint, throwing water bottles into candidates vehicles, airing frankly unsavoury ads etc etc prove to me that we are taking this way too seriously, exhorting supporters to "deal with the media" particularly when contrasted with our general lackadaisical nature.

I pray that on May 24th, every single eligble person goes out and votes, even if only to express their displeasure at the lack of options given to them, in order to celebrate the luxury of belonging to a democracy.

I pray, and I have faith in my people, that regardless of the result, on May 25th, we will go back to our normal frame of life:

We will push our paper, we will cut our cane, we will sell our produce, we will fix our cars, we will build our buildings, we will sell our advertising space, we will sing and we will dance, we will complain, we will gripe, we will smile and we will laugh, we will love our football and we will love our cricket, we will suffer when West Indies fail and crash when T&T falters, we will beam when Ganga scores runs and jump when Kenwyne backflips, and cheer when either of the Marcs earns a medal. We will eat our doubles, and dish out our pelau, we will go to our weddings and our prayers, and our wakes and our funerals.

However, while we do this, one thing would have changed: we will be aware of our power, and of our maturity, and we will not let this happen again. We shall demand leadership that does not put us in between the devil, the deep blue sea, and the jagged rocks. We will make it plainly obvious that if those who seek to lead us do not get their act in order they will be made irrelevant by a people willing to forge their own destiny together, despite their differences and their differences of opinion.

I pray that on May 25th, we remember that "how we vote is not how we party", and that a people gets the politics it deserves. I hope that on May 25th, we don't simply stay the course, nor do we simply rise.
I pray that on May 25th we rise above the course we have taken, before and during this campaign.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 23, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
My fellow forumites...

I do believe that some of the words and actions we have seen in the last week and a half, prove that this election campaign has overstayed its welcome. Commandeering the nation's television stations for politicking, defacing the PM's residence, Mariano Brown's office, Errol Mcleod's office, "running" potential candidates on walkabouts, telling an 81 year old man expressing his political opinion to "stop making a fool of himself...you are 81 years old", bringing candidate's families into disrepute, carjacking candidates vehicles and stealing their documents, dousing candidates with paint, throwing water bottles into candidates vehicles, airing frankly unsavoury ads etc etc prove to me that we are taking this way too seriously, exhorting supporters to "deal with the media" particularly when contrasted with our general lackadaisical nature.

I pray that on May 24th, every single eligble person goes out and votes, even if only to express their displeasure at the lack of options given to them, in order to celebrate the luxury of belonging to a democracy.

I pray, and I have faith in my people, that regardless of the result, on May 25th, we will go back to our normal frame of life:

We will push our paper, we will cut our cane, we will sell our produce, we will fix our cars, we will build our buildings, we will sell our advertising space, we will sing and we will dance, we will complain, we will gripe, we will smile and we will laugh, we will love our football and we will love our cricket, we will suffer when West Indies fail and crash when T&T falters, we will beam when Ganga scores runs and jump when Kenwyne backflips, and cheer when either of the Marcs earns a medal. We will eat our doubles, and dish out our pelau, we will go to our weddings and our prayers, and our wakes and our funerals.

However, while we do this, one thing would have changed: we will be aware of our power, and of our maturity, and we will not let this happen again. We shall demand leadership that does not put us in between the devil, the deep blue sea, and the jagged rocks. We will make it plainly obvious that if those who seek to lead us do not get their act in order they will be made irrelevant by a people willing to forge their own destiny together, despite their differences and their differences of opinion.

I pray that on May 25th, we remember that "how we vote is not how we party", and that a people gets the politics it deserves. I hope that on May 25th, we don't simply stay the course, nor do we simply rise.
I pray that on May 25th we rise above the course we have taken, before and during this campaign.

good post midknight. i agree with most of the sentiments expressed  :beermug:

however, please email a copy of this  post to uncle dookeran cuz clearly he has other ideas

http://indiaempire.com/v1/2010/may/winston_dookeran.asp

chelck d last paragraph. i doh know bout everybody else. but dat statement he made there leavin a very sour taste in my mouth
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:25:48 PM by STEUPS!! »
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline bill

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 23, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »
lol even the thread votes too close to call, but UNC have the edge with the partnership.

This poll a little suspect as this thread started before the parliment was even disolved. Plus it also have UNC,COP and NJAC as 3 seperate groups which is not quite the best in the context of this election. Also I ent figure out who is "Other".
Suggest you vote in the link below (this one also too close to call  ;D)

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=49359.0

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 23, 2010, 04:17:56 PM »
My fellow forumites...

good post midknight. i agree with most of the sentiments expressed  :beermug:

however, please email a copy of this  post to uncle dookeran cuz clearly he has other ideas

http://indiaempire.com/v1/2010/may/winston_dookeran.asp

chelck d last paragraph. i doh know bout everybody else. but dat statement he made there leavin a very sour taste in my mouth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The statements quoted by Winston Dookeran points to  the deeply embedded issues which are slightly below the surface each time we come to elections in this country. As long as there is this undercurrent of cleaving to ethnic divide as oppose to a NATIONAL IDENTITY as T& T nationals, we will always have the perception that one group is driving the political will and clamoring to power.

We are not in South Africa; we are not in a nation that is build on tribal laws and tribal claims to representation nor are we a nation that clings to the notion of a caste system that reduces the worth of individuals based on salient and not so salient features yet we act as if the political will to shape our society and to assert power is based on an ethnic vote.

I grew up as a child in the 50's attended school in the 60's and I experienced the  political clashes and the old  contention of PNM versus DLP. As  a form five student in the late 60's I at one time took an interest in the  politics of the then TAPIA party although I was bias to the political ideologies of Dr. Eric Williams.

Over the years, I have seen an increase in the discourse of a National Identity. There appears to be an alarming outcry by those who are seeking power to attest some form of injustice to their ethnicity.  If in fact  our ancestral and historical divide is so salient in some eyes, then I reiterate the fact that  for some who are seeking power, it is a selfish endeavor rather that an altruistic one to serve the good and the benefit of a nation in dire straits.

The issues faced by many are far more immediate than those like Winston Dookeran who appears to be seeking  positions of authority to assert their own  personal and ethnic identities. We are a pluralistic society- that is:

This is a form of society which is made up of people from different ethnic, religous and cultural backgrounds. A society which embraces minority groups and is tolerant towards them.

plu·ral·ism  (plr-lzm)
n.
1. The condition of being multiple or plural.
a. A condition in which numerous distinct ethnic, religious, or cultural groups are present and tolerated within a society.
b. The belief that such a condition is desirable or socially beneficial.

Why is it that there are those who are bend on always  laying down the  'race card' at times when they feel  that the  emotions of the masses are most vulnerable?

Are there more urgent issues to put forth for all:

Poverty
     Curbing crime
    Inflation
     Social reforms
    Infrastructure
    Health and medical plans
    Housing
    employment
    government spending
    Food prices
    Government regulations of  goods and taxes

Come on people it's time to  rid ourselves of these  vestiges of these colonial 'divide and conquer' and move forward for a united TNT regardless of social economic status; regardless of ethnicity; regardless of power , privilege and status.

I pray that the electorates  would  vote thoughtfully, mindfully and in a manner that would see those corrupt individuals pay the political price for trying to use public office as a self aggrandizing position to sever their own purposes.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 23, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »
Was just responding to your comment about my sig. I know you haven't questioned anyone's voter preferences, and i was more interested in others seeing your response than in you answering the question, if you get what i mean.

Of course Kamla bounce her head, the same way she bounce it with Volney. But where realpolitik reigns common sense goes out the door unfortunately. Political campaigns cost money and all the Bas financiers own tied up in lawyer fees or being with held.

When is a choice between being mauled by the pitbulls (they say they love children) and ketching fleas from the pompeks I taking fleas any day. And yes I'm fully aware is real fleas in we mudda a$$.
But I done stock up on sevins powder long time now.

I ent so sure ah de mauling vs. fleas analogy nah... with Jack yuh might still end up getting maul after all de fleas  :-\

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 23, 2010, 04:35:24 PM »
How can a man whose character is  brought to question due to the scandalous handing of government funds/ FIFA funds/ TTFF funds and everyone's'  funds be  held in such high esteem that there is a chance that he could be elected and  be a part of  a government?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:04:57 PM by AB.Trini »

1]; } ?>