March 28, 2024, 06:00:35 AM

Poll

Given the current state of Trinidad and Tobago, how and what will influence your decisions if you are given a chance to ink a finger?

PNM
25 (41%)
UNC
21 (34.4%)
COP
6 (9.8%)
NJAC
4 (6.6%)
Other
5 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: If Elections called today... how will all yuh vote?  (Read 96037 times)

AirMan

Re: If Elections called today... how will all yuh vote?
« Reply #360 on: May 23, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »

By Martin Daly...http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161674866&weba=NWSOpinion

Squeaky bum time
Martin Daly
Sunday, May 23rd 2010

We have reached the end of the political campaign for the general election to be held tomorrow, May 24, 2010. Borrowing a delightful phrase, which is used by British sports commentators to describe the tension players feel nearing the end of a close contest, ’it is squeaky bum time’. There are a lot of squeaky bums in Balisier House and Rienzi Complex and, sometime after midnight, there will also be tears.

The election remains close because no one can accurately poll the disenchanted People’s National Movement (PNM) supporters. They will wake up tomorrow still volatile and uncertain whether to hold their noses and vote for a party led by Mr Manning. If they, ’the don’t knows’, abstain, the coalition will bag 22 or 23 seats.

The campaigns of the two parties were intense, frequently nasty, and uniformly unsatisfactory because so little platform time was devoted to a coherent exposition of policy issues. Manning ran away from debating Kamla. She left us wanting when interviewed by Shelly Dass, although, to be fair, the interview questions were dis-organised and rushed.

Except for Dr Rowley, the PNM has made no reference on the platform to the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDecott) or Calder Hart. It has ducked and has therefore portrayed itself as approving of alleged perjury, corruption and nepotism.

However, in a highly stage managed television interview, aided and abetted by three hand-picked, pusillanimous journalists, (a modus operandi apparently to be repeated this evening), Mr Manning tried to tell us that the involvement of Hart and Udecott in the building of a church in Guanapo Heights for his treasured spiritual adviser/prophetess was an involvement of Hart in his personal capacity. He added that reference to ’the PM’ in certain correspondence might be to the project manager.

The three journalists who let that go without a whimper were gutless. They all had an attack of squeaky bum. Mind you, I had no positive expectations of them. One of them was so thrilled that he got a pick that his approach to the interview was sugary pap. He was so sweet he nearly gave Mr Manning diabetes. Another one was visibly frightened, probably afraid of losing his state enterprise work. He served up sweet bread lobs and helped provide nice answers.

This is the UDecott election, yet the third journalist, when confronted with the Prime Minister’s smirking responses that perhaps it was in his personal capacity that Hart was involved in the church building and the PM might mean project manager, shamefully and incompetently failed to ask obvious, relevant follow up questions.

Here are a few: Do you categorically deny that PM in this letter is a reference to you? Would Mr. Hart know to whom it is referring? Have you the means to contact Mr Hart and ask him? Are you in touch with Mr Hart?

George Orwell, who so well understood how a state grows totalitarian and enmeshes citizens with Big Brother, wrote an essay entitled Politics and the English Language. An edited but extensive quotation is justified: ’In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. Millions of peasants are robbed of their farms and sent trudging along the roads with no more than they can carry: this is called transfer of population or rectification of frontiers. The inflated style itself is a kind of euphemism.

A mass of Latin words falls upon the facts like soft snow, blurring the outline and covering up all the details. The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one’s real and one’s declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms. But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought. A bad usage can spread by tradition and imitation even among people who should and do know better’.

’Political language-and with variations this is true of all political parties-is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. One cannot change this all in a moment, but one can at least change one’s own habits, and from time to time one can even, if one jeers loudly enough, send some worn-out and useless phrase or other lump of verbal refuse into the dustbin, where it belongs’.

If one examines Orwell’s statements one can readily see support for the view that dismissing the murderous death of a young woman as collateral damage is verbal refuse and a corrupting influence on serious thought about violent crime, calculated to induce easy tolerance of it.

The campaign gimmicks have left me unsatisfied. Tomorrow when I vote, I will close my eyes when I am putting my ballot paper in the box and pretend that I am putting the Prime Minister’s contemptuous, heartless phrases into the dustbin, as recommended by Orwell, and I will likely shed another tear for Akiel Cha

Offline Trinione

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 23, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »
How can a man whose character is  brought to question due to the scandalous handing of government funds/ FIFA funds/ TTFF funds and everyone's'  funds be  held in such high esteem that there is a chance that he could be elected and  be apart of  a government?

Just goes to show how sad our politics is!.
I think people first believe they have to vote fro UNC so then they have to find a way to justify voting for Jack Warner, so they make up a story about him in their minds. If Jack was part of the PNM I guarantee that all those same people would say what a criminal he is and they cant vote for him.
Its Sad, sad, sad!

AirMan

« Reply #362 on: May 23, 2010, 05:07:42 PM »
How can a man whose character is  brought to question due to the scandalous handing of government funds/ FIFA funds/ TTFF funds and everyone's'  funds be  held in such high esteem that there is a chance that he could be elected and  be a part of  a government?

I dunno maybe they get mad when they see a 2 million dollar flag on their way to work/or trying to find work everyday..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:15:55 PM by AirMan »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 23, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »
How can a man whose character is  brought to question due to the scandalous handing of government funds/ FIFA funds/ TTFF funds and everyone's'  funds be  held in such high esteem that there is a chance that he could be elected and  be a part of  a government?

I dunno maybe they get mad when they see a 2 million dollar flag on their way to work everyday..
It has been done already. He is actually running for re-election. the first run should have been more difficult as he now has a record of representing his constituency.
Live large and prosper!

AirMan

« Reply #364 on: May 23, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »

I dunno maybe they get mad when they see a 2 million dollar flag on their way to work everyday..
It has been done already. He is actually running for re-election. the first run should have been more difficult as he now has a record of representing his constituency.

I think most people in here dont undertand that ..dat controversial fella (Warner) has a record for representing his constituency unlike alot of MPs..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:29:05 PM by AirMan »

Offline Trinione

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 23, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »

I think most people in here dont undertand that ..dat controversial fella (Warner) has a record for representing his constituency unlike alot of MPs..

The moral of the story for those wish to get rich from corruption is if you going to tief plenty... then make sure and give a little back to the people and everything will be ok.
Jack could never get my vote no matter what he does for his constituency, I have to look at the big picture, otherwise I am just as bad as he is.

AirMan

« Reply #366 on: May 23, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »

The moral of the story for those wish to get rich from corruption is if you going to tief plenty... then make sure and give a little back to the people and everything will be ok.
Jack could never get my vote no matter what he does for his constituency, I have to look at the big picture, otherwise I am just as bad as he is.

So we all can assume you will not be voting for Patos ?... :devil:

Offline Trinione

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 23, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »

Yep, that is correct

AirMan

« Reply #368 on: May 23, 2010, 05:44:46 PM »

Yep, that is correct

Or hor ..ah had to ask since yuh was so specific about Warner and yuh forget to mention the current Prime Minister....at the end of teh day you have to choose the lesser of both evils
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:46:49 PM by AirMan »

Offline Trinione

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 23, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »

Yep, that is correct

Or hor ..ah had to ask since yuh was so specific about Warner and yuh forget to mention the current Prime Minister....at the end of teh day you have to choose the lesser of both evils

I personally dont think much people, if any, could be worse than Jack Warner, but that is my opinion. All I saying if is you voting Jack admit you voting for a crook and not a "good" man and that you are using the lessor of 2 evils reasoning.  Don't fool yourself into thinking jack is a good person.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 23, 2010, 06:11:48 PM »

Logic is truly not a simple thing. I spoke to the fact that he was elected already and had his party won enough seats to form the government he would have been in government. He got elected then, and he now has a record of representation to run on. Ah can't make it any clearer. I am not speaking to his character.
Live large and prosper!

AirMan

« Reply #371 on: May 23, 2010, 06:17:31 PM »

Yep, that is correct

I personally dont think much people, if any, could be worse than Jack Warner, but that is my opinion. All I saying if is you voting Jack admit you voting for a crook and not a "good" man and that you are using the lessor of 2 evils reasoning.  Don't fool yourself into thinking jack is a good person.

who said anything about "voting for a good man"...like i said lesser of two evils

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 23, 2010, 06:18:27 PM »
So the choice is between two crooks. On is the current PM and the other will be accountable to the new PM if elected. So if Kamla wins and allows Jack to steal,  she will have to held accountable for him. But who do we hold accountable for our esteem Project Manager, especially if we reelect him and send him back in to do more of the same.

I appreciate everyones concern that Kamla is Warner puppet, but what of the concerns that the PNM organization is Patos company of marionettes.

No one knows who will win tomorrow, and I am not a factor in the outcome because I will not be voting. But I do hope that if the PNM looses they use the opportunity to reevaluate the current party leadership.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:06:38 PM by trinindian »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 23, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
As i said.....de race element sickening. From both sides. But a wrong ting is a wrong ting. And i dunno if its cuz my major composition is of one particular ethnic group means i perceive things that may be against that group better. But i do know dat irregardless of who does it...it wrong.

My brethrin pull me in a talk...talking bout issues of racism dat he experienced...how he was in a maxi..and a drunk indian man saying..."Nex week i go spit on every nigger i see!" and how because he believe indian people inherently racial..he doh like dem..so he racial with dem. And i  told him dah kinda rationale doh make sense cuz is de same dotishness dat does perpetuate de nonsense...and if he find is rel shit dem thinking like that.....it go be shit for him to think so. After rel debate..he agreed....grudgingly.

My nex brethrin telling me bout dis woman who walked into the ministry of legal affairs office and shouted to all the persons of african descent "ALLYUH TIME UP!! IS WE TIME NOW!!!". How yuh supposed to feel with that?

Or....a man i go to class with...who i cool with.....who i does do group work with.....who's the vice president of an organization for students that i am president of commenting on a video on facebook after a another classmate  with these words:

"Allyuh f**kin niggers too dotish! Manning still have allyuh in f**kin chains! All allyuh does f**king do is distress people!"

Apparently, he deleted his comments afterwards..but facebook sends emails with the replies...almost instantly.....and.....my friend still had the emails even after he deleted it. He showed me it cause he was hurt as well....cuz.....in our class...everybody is cool with everybody...or at least so we thought. How yuh supposed to deal with that?

Or a certain popular automotive forum which is particularly frequented by persons of an ethic group... where racial and psuedo racial comments happen a bit more often than not. Along with allegations about "racism" by both sides. Den yuh notice...for some reason....the cuss filter knows to change the word "coolie" to "indo-trinidadian.." but "nigger" remains unchanged. Could be accidental but..who knows.

Den..yuh see dis:
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p1/triniBourbon/?action=view&current=29702_10150196114525716_64548571-2.jpg

And dahs just a few. And i sure persons of east indian heritage could come with any. I not saying that people of one ethnic group "more racial" than another. I just seeing it more and more now. And all that has me as worried as i am.

But persons could point fingers. Persons could fool deyself with de mamaguy. I have a choice to make....you have yours......you free to chose just as i free to chose. Dahs all. But.....i cyar force nobody to see it like me.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 23, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
True true bourbon, really sad...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?id=761050723&pid=12676239&fbid=10150197714040724

One comment from Krishan Madmax Saroop to a picture of the PNM rally

"yuh know one bomb in there and all the friggin crime problem done"

I don't dispute that racism is 2 way street but I would be lying if I didn't say that I notice one lane busier than the other in the last couple of weeks. There is a clear sense of anticipation of impending power. They will spit venom if and when they lose. By 'they' I mean a minority of assholes.

I changed my profile pic to one of Dr. Eric Williams my status to "I promise to respect the Government and my countrymen on Tuesday morning." I think we need cool heads. Sensible people cannot allow themselves to be caught up in an ethnic frenzy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:43:55 PM by Jah Gol »

AirMan

« Reply #376 on: May 23, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »
but why is it most (or none in recent years) of our politicians (from either parties) never seriously and directly address racism in relation to TT politics during their election campaigns ..steupse..

AirMan

« Reply #377 on: May 23, 2010, 07:33:43 PM »
PNM supporter responding to the UNC rally on islandmix.com

What...an Aranguez drunk fest! Everybody must head there to take a drink.

another one..

eh eh, wha u say dumby UNC swine...u like a lil UNC hoe always spewing crap on here. When de country bankrupt under Kamla I will hear allyuh "bwoy, if we did only know we woulda never support Kamla/TOPUNCCOPNJACMND...pick up side".

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:04:47 PM by AirMan »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
everything is race to people, if UNC win monday what go happen to them, they go dead  ??? life goes on, if PNM life still goes on
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 23, 2010, 09:15:57 PM »
Svgn S Ramdeen: I went to service commissions to query my job application and was bluntly told to 'look for vacancies in the newspapers',as i would never get through.
May 10 at 7:53am · Flag

Devant Maharaj: This cannot be right..hold on for 14 more days my friend...depends on who wins the election may influence how we act

Just cruising through facebook and come across the Indo trinidadian equality commission..Alot of racist remarks on the site but it is expected so I chose not to share those...But this one interests me..!!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 23, 2010, 09:17:49 PM »
but why is it most (or none in recent years) of our politicians (from either parties) never seriously and directly address racism in relation to TT politics during their election campaigns ..steupse..

Sadly to say race is the foundation block or cornerstone of Trinidad politics.It was clearfully laid down by Williams and Capildeo TOGETHER,just more than 50 yrs ago.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 23, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »

Sadly to say race is the foundation block or cornerstone of Trinidad politics.It was clearfully laid down by Williams and Capildeo TOGETHER,just more than 50 yrs ago.
so the Colonial power Machine was not a participant in that kind of politics?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:21:52 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 23, 2010, 09:43:21 PM »

not to the extent that we think.Capildeo never wanted to be Prime Minister,he was happy as opposition leader and Williams wanted to be Prime Minister.They therefore formed their own alliance.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:46:14 PM by royal »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #383 on: May 23, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »
Svgn S Ramdeen: I went to service commissions to query my job application and was bluntly told to 'look for vacancies in the newspapers',as i would never get through.

Devant Maharaj: This cannot be right..hold on for 14 more days my friend...depends on who wins the election may influence how we act

Just cruising through facebook and come across the Indo trinidadian equality commission..Alot of racist remarks on the site but it is expected so I chose not to share those...But this one interests me..!!
I applied for the posts of Foreign Affairs Officer and Cabinet Affairs officer in 2007, dropped the applications in with my C.V. by hand. No word yet on the outcome. I don't know anyone who recently entered the public service through the Service Commission. Most positions are now contract posts that are advertised.

Some people just like to claim discrimination.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:51:33 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 23, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »

:o

You dont say! You mean an organisation named the Indo-Trinidadian Equality Council ...who state here that states here on their flagged wikepedia page that:
Indo-Trinbago Equality Council or i-Tec [pronounced eye-tech] founded by Devant Maharaj in 2008 was established in Trinidad & Tobago. ITEC is an advocacy group working to identify and eliminate racial and religious discrimination, reduce inequality and inequality of opportunity, protect human rights and build good relations, while ensuring that everyone is given a fair chance to participate in society.

You mean a sterling organization like that allowing something like racist comments on their facebook page? I'm aghast!

I highly doubt that! An upstanding citizen like Devant Maharaj who is so concerned about crime that he suggested that it be nipped in its bud by offering abortions for babies born to laventille mothers allowing something like that? Nah man...i cyar believe dat.

::)

not to the extent that we think.Capildeo never wanted to be Prime Minister,he was happy as opposition leader and Williams wanted to be Prime Minister.They therefore formed their own alliance.

Dahs exactly what i saying. Now is all ah we to ketch.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 23, 2010, 09:50:29 PM »

I talking about the government BEFORE independence ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #386 on: May 23, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »

I talking about the government BEFORE independence ;)

in order to control the natural resources and wealth of the nation, foreign entities would need to divide the nation on race as it happened in guyana, if people dont know the history, the people of guyana were united b4 foreign entities stepped in and caused the division to control the gold mines of guyana.

in trinidad both political parties have subscribed to the same practise. except trinidadians surprisingly there is less racist conflict than our guyanese counterparts.

the leaders are used to carry out the divide, from my knowledge, both panday and manning are great friends that have used the majority base of afro-trinis and indo-trinis as pawns to climb the social ladder through race politics.

the same applied to the dlp and pnm in the early years

ALL SUMMED UP AS COUNTER-RESISTANCE

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:06:13 PM by Controversial »

AirMan

« Reply #387 on: May 23, 2010, 10:11:55 PM »
Million-plus listed to vote tomorrow
Published: 23 May 2010
Approximately 1,040,011 citizens are registered to vote in tomorrow’s general election. Of the number eligible to exercise the franchise at the country’s 2,156 polling stations, approximately 6,943 people have been registered as new voters by the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC). In 2007, 993,051 people were listed as eligible, but only 653,882 availed themselves of the opportunity. Comparing the 2007 voting list to this year’s total voting eligibles, the EBC has seen an increase of 46,960 electors over a 30-month period.

An EBC revised list dated May 7, 2010, shows the Diego Martin West seat of incumbent Dr Keith Rowley having the largest voter population, with 28,364 listed. Tobago East, which was held by People’s National Movement Rennie Dumas, who has since been replaced by candidate Gizel Thomas-Roberts, has the smallest number, with 20,424 registered voters. Following closely behind the Diego Martin West electoral district is Couva North, with 27,682 voters, while Diego Martin North/West is the third highest with an electorate of 27,647.

Comparing the old EBC list dated February 2, 2010, it showed that 1,033,068 were initially eligible. However, with the EBC’s ten-day regularisation status last month, close to 7,000 were added, taking the figure to 1,040,011. The revised list shows also that of the 1,472 polling divisions in the country, Port-of-Spain South has the most divisions, numbering 63, followed by Port-of-Spain North/St Ann’s East with 58. Chaguanas East, which was won by Mustapha Abdul-Hamid in the last general election, has 19 polling divisions, the lowest number. (SH) http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/05/23/million-plus-listed-vote-tomorrow

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 24, 2010, 02:52:31 AM »
Hey I have a question.

The degrees received from the University of TnT or the other one (forgot name), are they recognized in north america or any other country?  Not talking about those at Roytec and the Uwee.

I was reading some comments on a UNC/COP/TOP/ABC/MACO uhmm whatever else yes, forum and some of the people were saying that they were not. So now i'm wondering why not and does this make any damn sense to go to school and only have our degrees recognized in the Caribbean only?

Or are these people mis leading in their comments.
The other school is the University of the Southern Caribbean. Do not go to that school.

Why? I went to the school when it was CUC and it was the best decision I ever made because it was a US degree. When time to do my MAster's, you know how much gymnastics I woulda have to do if I had a degree from UWI? (as far as transcript assessment and prerequisites). To be fair, I am not sure how the school is now or if they still run the affiliate program with Andrews University. 
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 24, 2010, 04:40:49 AM »
Hey Brothers and Sisters-

Thank you for voting and participating in this discussion... It was a pleasure to hear all the responses. Sammy I'm sorry if you misconstrued my original statement in the General Elections thread... I apologize, when I talk, I'm talking from both sides of my family... I'm saddened that so many racist remarks surfaced on Facebook or other social media or in public. This is heartbreaking and equally disturbing... just 4 years ago in Germany I remember us... every creed and race feteing the night away... no black, no indian, no white... no chinee, no middle eastern, just Trini... and for Brown Trinbago  ;D

However yuh vote today... may God be with you in your decision and my you be safe...! We will all have to still coexist tomorrow.

(on a side note... whatever the outcome... I still vex that in less than a 2 weeks I will have to be supporting Landon and them fellas)

peace love and respect...

1]; } ?>