April 28, 2024, 09:51:55 PM

Author Topic: Scotland News : We rooting for Trinidad & Tobago  (Read 2179 times)

Offline soca_randy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Scotland News : We rooting for Trinidad & Tobago
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:15:29 PM »

Fri 14 Oct 2005

printer friendly     email article
Scotland rooting for Trinidad as Latapy, Andrews and Jack set up play-off

STUART BATHGATE

POLAND, Japan and Croatia should all have Scottish-based players in their squads at next year's World Cup. So too, if they get through their play-off, might the Czech Republic. The largest Scots contingent, however, could just come from Trinidad & Tobago.

The Caribbean team must also win a play-off to claim their place in Germany, but if they maintain the form they showed by beating Mexico 2-1 on Wednesday night they should have an excellent chance against Bahrain. The Mexicans had already qualified behind the United States in the CONCACAF group, but it was still a considerable feat by the so-called Soca Warriors to claim the win they required.

Coached by the former Dutch national boss Leo Beenhakker, Trinidad & Tobago missed a penalty and then fell behind before hitting back to win in Port of Spain. Had Beenhakker's side drawn or lost, Guatemala would have secured the play-off spot thanks to their 3-1 win over Costa Rica, who had already ensured the third-place finish which takes them through to the finals.

Kelvin Jack of Dundee, Rangers' Marvin Andrews, and Russell Latapy of Falkirk were the three Scots-based players in the home team's starting line-up, while Jason Scotland and Collin Samuel of St Johnstone and Dundee United have also figured. The star of the show against the Mexicans, though, was Stern John, who missed the penalty, then scored both his team's goals.

The crowd in the Hasely Crawford Stadium, already dismayed by the spot-kick failure, had been stunned into virtual silence when an audacious chip by Jaime Lozano gave Mexico the lead seven minutes before the break. John equalised in the 42nd minute, however, to revive his team's hopes, and then blasted home what turned out to be the winner 15 minutes into the second half following inspired work by Latapy.

"The manner in which we fought during the whole game to turn around the result was amazing," said the 63-year-old Beenhakker.

"Time doesn't forgive and I'm more or less at the end of my sporting career. This could be a fantastic finale for me to take part in another World Cup."

Beenhakker replaced Bertille St Clair in April after the Caribbean islanders had failed to win any of their first three games in the six-team qualifying group. Helped by the return from international retirement of Latapy and of Dwight Yorke, the coach inspired a revival in which they won four of their last seven matches.

Bahrain booked their place against T&T with a scoreless draw at home to Uzbekistan in the second leg of the Asian play-off. Having drawn the Tashkent leg 1-1, the Bahrainis went through on the away-goals rule. Japan, Iran, South Korea and Saudi Arabia were the automatic qualifiers from the Asian zone.

Offline Silver-Corbeaux

• Jr. Warrior
  • RF is really ah Trini hornchile!
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland News : We rooting for Trinidad & Tobago
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 01:21:10 PM »
Thanx for d support, but ah fraid dem Scots, dey did call Trinidad and Tobago the Dog and Duck of world football after they did cut we arse in Edinborough last year.

They even compare we side to a Sunday evening pub-side, but guest what this pub-side still in contention for Germany, and Scotland ha to tink bout 2010.

They could probably recruit RF to organise a sweat against I-Wayne United. :devil:

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 01:27:19 PM »

They even compare we side to a Sunday evening pub-side, but guest what this pub-side still in contention for Germany, and Scotland ha to tink bout 2010.

Karma is a serious ting dred
well yes

Offline bairnagain

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »
Darn tootin' we are rooting for you. ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 01:59:00 PM by bairnagain »

Offline Silver-Corbeaux

• Jr. Warrior
  • RF is really ah Trini hornchile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 01:47:50 PM »
Thanx for d support, but ah fraid dem Scots, dey did call Trinidad and Tobago the Dog and Duck of world football after they did cut we arse in Edinborough last year.

They could probably recruit RF to organise a sweat against I-Wayne United. :devil:

aye Bairns ah said ah tanx fuh d support, but I was not the one who chose to dis TnT when were your guests last year. A little sensitivity for the fact that we were a small island nation trying just starting an experimental squad, at the start of our campaign would have benn better than "Dog and Duck"

But for you guys on the forum, no love lost.

Offline bairnagain

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 01:56:54 PM »
I never saw those comments myself but I wouldnt be surprised they were said.

It was probably because Scotland were so poor at the time and in the middle of a terrible run under a terrible manager some of or guys probably got carried away with the victory.

We had a good win the other night and have the makings of quite a good young team now hopefully.

Would be a great friendly again if we could play you prior to Germany what with all the Scottish based players you have now.

I am sure you would get a few Scots mixed a touch of mixed feelings about that one to be honest, especially if you draw England........ ;)

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 02:03:59 PM »
I don't think it was the Scottish players that said that but the media. I could be wrong

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 02:49:28 PM »
It was Gordon McQueen (ex-Scottish international), who made those unflattering comments! I was at the match and even have it on tape.

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 03:10:06 PM »
It was Gordon McQueen (ex-Scottish international), who made those unflattering comments! I was at the match and even have it on tape.

Well look at that, yuh see the man name?  Nuff said.

Offline Born-again Bairn

• Touch ane, touch a'
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 03:26:40 PM »
I was at the game and the comments around me were less than flattering. These Scots guys are nothing but waggonists ;D

Check de danger....BaB in de boozer :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:29:29 PM by Born-again Bairn »

1]; } ?>