April 29, 2024, 03:08:21 AM

Author Topic: Rangers sign US international Edu  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rangers sign US international Edu
« on: August 19, 2008, 04:18:05 AM »
U.S. MF Edu agrees to 5-year deal with Rangers

United States midfielder Maurice Edu has agreed a five-year deal with Scottish Premier League side Rangers.

The $5 million transfer from Major League Soccer's Toronto FC is subject to a work permit being granted, Rangers said Sunday night.

Toronto's 2007 young player of the year would join compatriot DaMarcus Beasley in the Rangers midfield.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Rangers sign US international Edu
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:45:43 AM »
So why dey give Sammy so much trouble??? ??? ??? :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 06:38:00 AM »
now i see why he was getting all them caps....he is a good player, i glad for him

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:53:54 AM »
Shalrie Joseph hadda be livid. But as I recall..Rangers throwing much bigger money behind Edu, so it's a better deal for MLS. Still..I can't imagine Shalrie seeing this and not feeling some bitterness towards the league

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:48:41 AM »
Shalrie Joseph hadda be livid. But as I recall..Rangers throwing much bigger money behind Edu, so it's a better deal for MLS. Still..I can't imagine Shalrie seeing this and not feeling some bitterness towards the league
Actually, Joseph was the one who didn't really want to leave.
TnT Patriot

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:54:56 AM »
Shalrie Joseph hadda be livid. But as I recall..Rangers throwing much bigger money behind Edu, so it's a better deal for MLS.

That's the point.

Celtic was trying to lowball MLS for one of the best players in the league. MLS was right for telling them to get lost.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Shalrie Joseph hadda be livid. But as I recall..Rangers throwing much bigger money behind Edu, so it's a better deal for MLS.

That's the point.

Celtic was trying to lowball MLS for one of the best players in the league. MLS was right for telling them to get lost.

Agreed..the league was right. But I'm speculating about the player's personal feeling about the whole thing. If a bigger club comes in for you, you could give a shite what they're willing to pay your current league. No player would ever say...'oh, the league is right to not to let me pursue my dreams because the price is too low'. they may understand the business decision, but that's indpendent of the desire to play at a higher level.

I googled this quote. Seeing Edu's transfer is likely to bring back up the resentment.

``I understand why they did it, but I am saddened by it. They don't want to sell players during the season because it sends the wrong message to fans, plus the Revolution are making a playoff run and a drive for the championship. The offer was being made after the transfer window closed here so they wouldn't be able to replace him."

Actually, Joseph was the one who didn't really want to leave.

Not true. He was quoted numerous times saying he really wanted the move. google it.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:12:29 PM »
Mo granted work permit

Maurice Edu has been given the go ahead to complete his move to Rangers having been granted a work permit earlier this afternoon.

The US International is now free to move to Scotland after the club agreed a fee of $5m with the MLS for the talented midfielder last weekend.

The 22-year-old travelled to Ibrox Stadium to watch his new club beat Hearts 2-0 on Saturday before joining the United States national squad for a World Cup qualifier in Guatemala on Wednesday night.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »

Iceland take on France for handball gold

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/handball/7577813.stm

Iceland will aim for their first ever Olympic gold when their men's handball team face France in Sunday's final.

It was a convincing display by the Icelandic team as they crushed Spain 36-30 in their semi-final.

In the other semi, France ended Croatia's hopes of defending the Olympic title for the first time with an entertaining and tense 25-23 win.

Spain play Croatia for the bronze medal from 0630 BST, followed by the final at 0845 BST.

Iceland have equalled their country's highest Olympic achievement by just making the final and the silver medal, which they are now guaranteed, matches a feat last achieved by their nation in the triple jump in 1956.

We've spent years getting ready for this but the game is not won yet

France's right winger Luc Abalo

Iceland started the match strongly and raced to a 5-0 lead after only five minutes, and the Spanish struggled to recover for the rest of the match.

They led 17-15 at the break and with 10 minutes remaining, and Iceland having a healthy six-goal advantage, they cruised home to seal a memorable victory.

Icelandic pivot Robert Gunnarson said his team faced a tough match in the final.

"This means everything to us. It's just a dream. We deserve to be in the final, the way we have played," he said.

"We can't celebrate too much now, we've got to get ready for one last push."

It was a much tougher encounter for France, but now they have the opportunity to finally win gold, after they crashed out in Athens in the quarter-finals having been red-hot favourites.

"We've spent years getting ready for this but the game is not won yet," France's right winger Luc Abalo said.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »

Iceland take on France for handball gold

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/handball/7577813.stm

Iceland will aim for their first ever Olympic gold when their men's handball team face France in Sunday's final.

It was a convincing display by the Icelandic team as they crushed Spain 36-30 in their semi-final.

In the other semi, France ended Croatia's hopes of defending the Olympic title for the first time with an entertaining and tense 25-23 win.

Spain play Croatia for the bronze medal from 0630 BST, followed by the final at 0845 BST.

Iceland have equalled their country's highest Olympic achievement by just making the final and the silver medal, which they are now guaranteed, matches a feat last achieved by their nation in the triple jump in 1956.

We've spent years getting ready for this but the game is not won yet

France's right winger Luc Abalo

Iceland started the match strongly and raced to a 5-0 lead after only five minutes, and the Spanish struggled to recover for the rest of the match.

They led 17-15 at the break and with 10 minutes remaining, and Iceland having a healthy six-goal advantage, they cruised home to seal a memorable victory.

Icelandic pivot Robert Gunnarson said his team faced a tough match in the final.

"This means everything to us. It's just a dream. We deserve to be in the final, the way we have played," he said.

"We can't celebrate too much now, we've got to get ready for one last push."

It was a much tougher encounter for France, but now they have the opportunity to finally win gold, after they crashed out in Athens in the quarter-finals having been red-hot favourites.

"We've spent years getting ready for this but the game is not won yet," France's right winger Luc Abalo said.

:rotfl: :rotfl: allyuh bad oui  ;D wey Toppa by de way? haven't heard from her in a while  ;)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
lol

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »
Edu could make Gers' Old Firm bow

Rangers' new signing Maurice Edu will be in their squad for Sunday's match against Celtic if he arrives in Glasgow by Thursday.

Edu has been granted a work permit and should join the squad for training after completing visa formalities.

The midfielder, who will cost Rangers £2.6m, has agreed a five-year contract.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »
Edu's career is simply taking off

Another week, another team, another country.

Maurice Edu's MLS season with Toronto FC was interrupted by a trip to China with the U.S. Olympic men's team. He returned home for a few days, only to learn he needed to be in Scotland to finalize a deal with a new club, Glasgow Rangers. But before he could begin his European career, he was off to Guatemala with the U.S. men's national team for a World Cup qualifier. Then, after being serenaded by Rangers supporters before a game against their fiercest rivals, he was on his way here to prepare for Saturday's historic trip to Cuba.

"It's been busy," Edu said Tuesday, "but it's been good."

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 12:43:29 AM »
hop he dont flop like freddy adu
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »
Maurice Edu victim of death threats

Maurice Edu knew he was entering a heated rivalry when he left Major League Soccer's Toronto FC for Scotland's Rangers. But he probably didn't predict having a cellphone thrown at him, abuse hurled his way on the street, or death threats.

"I've definitely taken some abuse," the 23-year-old said, according to The Sun. "I've had death threats and things like that and just been heckled walking around town or driving around."

The abuse was instant. After the U.S. international transferred, his first game for Rangers was against Celtic in the Old Firm derby.

(continue)

- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 08:58:04 AM »
Maurice Edu fires Rangers to Old Firm victory

Rangers moved a step closer to securing a second successive Scottish Premier League title with victory over 10-man Celtic in a pulsating Old Firm derby.

Robbie Keane was denied a debut goal when Allan McGregor twice saved brilliantly to deny the striker.

Rangers had a Maurice Edu goal chalked off for Kenny Miller's handball.

Celtic captain Scott Brown was controversially red-carded following a clash with Kyle Lafferty before Edu scrambled home the winner.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 04:02:18 AM »

- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »

Maurice Edu scores a beauty in Lauren McDonald

THIS busty beauty is the girl who has convinced Rangers star Maurice Edu to quit his playboy lifestyle.

Gorgeous model Lauren MacDonald's charms persuaded the American ace to settle down at last.

Lauren, 23, has even ordered Edu, also 23, to swap wild party nights with best pal and Ibrox team-mate DaMarcus Beasley for cosy nights in with her twin strikers.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »

Edu sends Rangers 13 points clear

Rangers need only three more wins to retain their Scottish Premier League title after edging out Hamilton.

Midfielder Maurice Edu, who had earlier hit the post, side-footed the winner, completing a fine move involving Steven Naismith and Kenny Miller.

Accies' Flavio Paixao twice went close, hitting the side netting before seeing a curler saved well by Allan McGregor.

(continue)
- Xavi

1]; } ?>