April 25, 2024, 06:28:08 PM

Author Topic: shoe bomber thwarter is trini-american?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
shoe bomber thwarter is trini-american?
« on: April 10, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »
James sworn in as U.S. citizen

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- Kwame James had to wait nearly 10 years to be sworn in as a U.S. citizen, a long time compared with the time he spent helping subdue would-be shoe bomber Richard Reid on a trans-Atlantic flight.

James, now 32, wore a gray pinstriped suit and blue tie at Thursday's ceremony in Atlanta, which ended years of immigration limbo that began after he helped thwart the terror attack aboard a Paris-to-Miami flight in December 2001.

Kwame James
David Dow/NBAE/Getty ImagesKwame James, shown here in 2007, is now 32, married with two children, and works in Atlanta.

The 6-foot-8 basketball player -- who had played two years in high school in the U.S. and four years at Division I Evansville -- was napping when a flight attendant roused him. Ten rows back, Reid was scuffling with passengers and the crew after he tried to ignite explosives hidden in his shoes.

James helped tie up Reid with belts and headset wires, and took turns holding Reid by his ponytail with another passenger until the plane could land in Boston.

Nearly 10 years later, James would rather talk about how happy he is to be a new citizen and his passion for music.

"I became a citizen of one of the best countries in the world and I am very happy," he said. "All the things that people come here for, that's what I'm here for, the opportunity. You can come from nothing and become something here, just through hard work."

James, who was born in Canada and raised in Trinidad, was playing professional basketball in France at the time of the incident. He had been traveling to the U.S. to meet his then-girlfriend and take her to his family's home in Trinidad for the holidays.

He returned to France after the trip but asked his basketball coach for some time off when the reality of the flight's close call set in.

"I didn't understand the magnitude of what happened at first," he said.

“

I can't wait to vote in the next election.
    ” -- New U.S. citizen Kwame James

He entered the U.S. as a tourist but later realized he couldn't overstay his visa if he wanted to become a citizen later. He agreed to testify against Reid, but the government seemed to turn its back on him after Reid pleaded guilty before trial in October 2002, said his immigration lawyer, Michael Wildes.

Wildes was shocked that someone who had acted heroically might lose permission to stay in the U.S., and he volunteered during a nationally televised to take the case for free.

Wildes brought James' case to the attention of then-New York Sen. Hillary Clinton and Rep. Joe Crowley. He also helped James apply for a visa that allowed him to play basketball.

James ended up making the cut for the minor league Brooklyn Kings. The assistant coach and co-owner of the team, Dan Liebman, said the two "became like brothers" and even let James crash at his apartment.

"He's an incredible class act through and through," Liebman said. "People should model their children after him."

James married his girlfriend, Jill, and became a legal permanent resident. After several more years, he applied for citizenship and was finally sworn in Thursday.

After giving up basketball, James got a job as a sales representative for Pfizer but later was laid off. Having shown he could get a job on his own, James felt comfortable accepting help offered by Liebman and agreed a year ago to move to Atlanta to help expand his friend's IT staffing firm in the Southeast.

Given his love for hip-hop and urban music, James was happy to move more

truetrini

Re: shoe bomber thwarter is trini-american?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »
yes he is a trini!  Nice follow up story though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:44:29 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »
yes he is a trini!  Nice follow up story though.

He from Tacarigua.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »
I landed in d US and on my way 2 my sis place hear bout d shoe bomber. D next day I was headin 2 Atlanta and now I have 2 take off meh shoes.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »
I think he is the brother of jamal james !!!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 09:20:18 AM »

yep... living right there in my area..

if yuh see kwame size, is ah damn good thing as fate had it that was he who was sitting down close to Richard Reid on that flight yes.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »

if yuh see kwame size, is ah damn good thing as fate had it that was he who was sitting down close to Richard Reid on that flight yes.

He wasn't sitting anywhere close to him... Reid was ten rows back.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Kwame James gets US citizenship
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:38:09 AM »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 07:08:21 AM »

He wasn't sitting anywhere close to him... Reid was ten rows back.

Close enough? It was a Boeing 767-300.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:18:56 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »

Perhaps... but his proximity wasn't really a factor, others had already responded and were restraining Reid.  According to reports James was asleep and was roused by the flight crew to help restrain him.  Likely Reid was already separated from his incendiary device.

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:38:25 PM »
First reports coming out stated that James was sitting next to him and held him down.  Suppose it matters not really, as he did his part

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »

Perhaps... but his proximity wasn't really a factor, others had already responded and were restraining Reid.  According to reports James was asleep and was roused by the flight crew to help restrain him.  Likely Reid was already separated from his incendiary device.

where you get that?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 09:10:45 PM »
where you get that?

I take it you didn't read the article...

The 6-foot-8 basketball player -- who had played two years in high school in the U.S. and four years at Division I Evansville -- was napping when a flight attendant roused him. Ten rows back, Reid was scuffling with passengers and the crew after he tried to ignite explosives hidden in his shoes.

1]; } ?>