April 27, 2024, 02:17:20 AM

Author Topic: Basketball Prospect Leaving High School to Play in Europe  (Read 3520 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Basketball Prospect Leaving High School to Play in Europe
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »
By PETE THAMEL (NYTimes)
Published: April 22, 2009

SAN DIEGO — Jeremy Tyler, a 6-foot-11 high school junior whom some consider the best American big man since Greg Oden, says he will be taking a new path to the N.B.A. He has left San Diego High School and said this week that he would skip his senior year to play professionally in Europe.

Tyler, 17, would become the first United States-born player to leave high school early to play professionally overseas. He is expected to return in two years, when he is projected to be a top pick, if not the No. 1 pick, in the 2011 N.B.A. draft.

Tyler, who had orally committed to play for Rick Pitino at Louisville, has yet to sign with an agent or a professional team. His likely destination is Spain, though teams from other European leagues have shown interest. A spokesman for Louisville said the university could not comment about Tyler.

“Nowadays people look to college for more off-the-court stuff versus being in the gym and getting better,” Tyler said. “If you’re really focused on getting better, you go play pro somewhere. Pro guys will get you way better than playing against college guys.”

His decision is perhaps the most important one since Kevin Garnett jumped straight to the N.B.A. from high school in 1995. Garnett was the No. 5 pick in the N.B.A. draft and ushered in a generation of preps-to-pros stars like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwight Howard. A minimum-age rule passed for the 2006 draft cut off that route, essentially forcing players to spend at least one year in college.

But Brandon Jennings, a point guard from Los Angeles, became the first player to graduate from high school, skip college and play professionally in Europe. (Whether Jennings would have qualified academically to play at Arizona, where he had signed a letter of intent, is unknown.) He is in his first season with Lottomatica Virtus Roma in Italy and is projected as a high pick in the N.B.A. draft in June.

Tyler took Jennings’s path and added a compelling twist, perhaps opening the door for other elite high school basketball players to follow.

Sonny Vaccaro, a former sneaker company executive, orchestrated Jennings’s move and has guided Tyler and his family through the process.

“It’s significant because it shows the curiosity for the American player just refusing to accept what he’s told he has to do,” Vaccaro said. “We’re getting closer to the European reality of a professional at a young age. Basically, Jeremy Tyler is saying, ‘Why do I have to go to high school?’ ”

Vaccaro said he was unsure how much money Tyler would make, though it will most likely be less than the $1.2 million Jennings made in a combination of salary and endorsements this season. Vaccaro said Tyler would make a six-figure salary, noting that the economic crisis in Europe could hurt his earnings.

Vaccaro made his name by signing Michael Jordan to Nike in the mid-1980s and has advised numerous elite players over the years. “I believe he’ll be a 10-time All-Star with his ability,” Vaccaro said of Tyler.

For now, Tyler said he was working out eight to nine hours a day at local gyms and schools and spending two and a half hours a day to get his high school diploma online. He said he had his “ups and downs” in the classroom but was on track to qualify academically to play in college.

Tyler said that his game stagnated by playing high school basketball here and that he was frustrated by the rules of the California Interscholastic Federation and the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

He averaged 28.7 points during a tumultuous junior season in which his team went 15-11. Two of his coaches were fired in part because of their roles in trying to bring in three star players to complement Tyler. Kenny Roy, the former head coach, denied any wrongdoing.

But the three transfers were ruled ineligible, leaving Tyler the centerpiece of a team whose next biggest player was 6-2.

“It was boring and I wasn’t getting better,” Tyler said. “Each game was the same thing. I was getting triple-teamed and getting hacked. After each game I’d have scratches and bruises up and down my arms from getting triple-teamed. It just wasn’t for me.”

Spain is the most likely option for him because of the structure of its basketball league. Vaccaro said Tyler could shuttle between his professional team and its development squad for 18-year-olds. So if Tyler, who turns 18 in June, struggles early against professional men, he will be able to play and practice with the younger team.

Tyler, who was raised primarily by his father, James, and his uncle, Maurice, will move to Europe with his older brother, James. A rotation of relatives plan to visit. Tyler’s father said he had reservations at first about sending his son overseas, knowing there would be a strong reaction in the community.

“You know what? It’s just a job,” the elder James Tyler said. “He gets a chance to work the job of his dreams and have fun doing it. There’s kids leaving to go to Iraq at age 18. They took a job to serve their country. He’s going to play ball.”

Along the way, Tyler may just become a trailblazer for other high school basketball prodigies.

“This is what I want to do,” he said. “It will help me get better and grow up.”

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: Basketball Prospect Leaving High School to Play in Europe
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:10:20 PM »
Things like this always worry me. Is he so struggling for cash that he risks his life after basketball by not completing his education? The world is often an uncertain place... what happens if his career ends next year? All the best to the youth still.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »
Things like this always worry me. Is he so struggling for cash that he risks his life after basketball by not completing his education? The world is often an uncertain place... what happens if his career ends next year? All the best to the youth still.

Cosign
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:10:56 AM »
the reality of the situation is that 1) it will have enough guaranteed money in his first contract to pay cash for any college he could get into and 2) some people aren't always wise with their money.

I'd be interested in seeing a feature on all the men who went straight to the NBA from high school between Garnett and the passing of the new age-limit rule.  See what kinda career and lives most of them have/had.  This is a slightly different situation in that he leaving with a year to go of high school but people get GEDs all the time.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:47:53 AM »
People who get GEDs struggle to be taken seriously... it is far worse than leaving university/college early because secondary school is the basic requirement to get a minimum wage job. Clearly this young man will not have to worry about working for minimum wage and for me it's not about earning potential.

I'd prefer to see these young people really develop in an environment designed for personal development. This young man now has to grow up quickly... why? Because of money. The bottom line is the world in which we live in, but that doesn't mean that I think it's good for our young people.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:22:18 PM »
well my thing is precisely that opportunities like this aren't being presented to the average high school junior.  The same special circumstances that put him in the situation to be making the decision are what make it possible that turning pro might be the right decision: the man has been given a gift that has a shorter shelf-life than most. 

So yeah, there are drawbacks but there also positives and it is for each (and by this I mean the parents more than the child), I think, to read their own situation and decide what is right for them.  It's not unusual for children with prodigious gifts to get fast-tracked in some form or the other  e.g. Charles Fefferman, Terence Tao,  Michael Jackson, Tiger Woods or any tennis player whose name you'd actually recognize. 

(I know Fefferman and Tao mightn't have the name recognition of any of the other people on the list but I had to give a shout out to my boys just as a matter of principle.)   

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »
Tao and Fefferman are child prodigies in an academic world so they got their education anyway, just faster than average. Whatever happens to their profession they have basic and advanced educational degrees.

As for it being the right or wrong decision, that was never my argument. I can never know what is right or wrong for the young man. I do, however, feel that because of the limited shelf life of his physical gifts (to use your phrase) it is important that his mental gifts (at least this basic level) be developed.

I would feel this way regardless of the person involved. I am not condemning his decision, I'm just concerned about the sacrifice.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
JERUSALEM -- Former U.S. high school basketball star Jeremy Tyler quit Israeli team Maccabi Haifa and returned home Friday, cutting short a disappointing first pro season.

The 18-year-old Tyler arrived in Israel on a wave of publicity in August after deciding to skip his senior year at San Diego High School to gain professional experience.

However, his time in Israel was fraught with problems, and he left five weeks before the end of the season.

"Due to personal matters, Jeremy chose to leave the team on his own will on March 18 and return home to San Diego," Maccabi Haifa owner Jeffrey Rosen said in a statement. "We wish Jeremy all the best."

In the 10 games Tyler played for Haifa, the 6-foot-11 power forward averaged only 2.1 points and 1.9 rebounds in 7.6 minutes. Tyler, who reportedly earned a $140,000 salary, found it hard to adapt to the pro game and couldn't find a place in Maccabi Haifa's starting lineup.

Tyler's agent said he wasn't aware of his client's plans to leave the team.

"I'm as surprised as you are. We had no idea he was coming home," Makhtar Ndiaye of the Wasserman Media Group told ESPN's William Weinbaum. "I'm speechless at this point and look forward to speaking with Jeremy. A contract, a learning process -- things weren't great -- but it was part of growing up. I'm disappointed and frustrated."

Tyler's frustration was evident. Last month, he walked out on the team at halftime to protest not getting more minutes. For the last three games, he sat on the bench not wearing a uniform after being left off the Haifa squad.

Ndiaye said he spoke to Tyler earlier this week and "everything was cool."

"The kid decided on his own," Ndiaye said. "We did everything humanly possible to make it a success story for him and his family."

Sonny Vaccaro, an adviser to Tyler and his family, told ESPN the season in Israel wasn't a negative experience despite how it ended.

"Nothing was lost here -- he went, it was hard, it was eight months," Vaccaro said. "It would've been beautiful, utopia, if he had played and helped his team win a championship."

Vaccaro said Brandon Jennings, a star rookie for the Milwaukee Bucks, didn't show very much in his stint overseas, either.

"Five or six NBA scouts have told me recently to just have Jeremy come home and start practicing, that the experience in Israel is not detrimental to his future," Vaccaro said.

Vaccaro, who said Tyler would be able to sign another deal to play somewhere in August, added there's another year before Tyler would be eligible for the NBA draft, and that he didn't understand "everyone's rush to judge him."

"He's got talent and is not a bad kid," Vaccaro said.

As for the implications of the Tyler episode for the NBA's ban on high schoolers playing in the league, Vaccaro said: "If that option were allowed, he could have gone to the NBA [in tryouts] and seen if he could make it.

"It is a ridiculous system where that can't happen, where a kid can't try, be told he's not good enough and then go back to school, retaining amateur status. This could've been avoided."

original location (ESPN)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 05:55:29 AM »
People who get GEDs struggle to be taken seriously... it is far worse than leaving university/college early because secondary school is the basic requirement to get a minimum wage job.

I would strongly disagree with the broad statement on homeschoolers.  I know I am definitely not in the mainstream, but nearly all the kids I know here are homeschooled and are way way above avergae students - choosing to avoid the 'drama' of highschool here to focus on education.  their parents are all highly educated though.  The very religious people also try to keep their kids out of the school system and of course there is room 4 them in college when all is said & done.  Obama even pushin 4 more charter schools to cater 2 the alternative population.  youtman go b fine.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 01:38:04 AM »
By PETE THAMEL (NYTimes)
Published: April 22, 2009

Sonny Vaccaro, a former sneaker company executive, orchestrated Jennings’s move and has guided Tyler and his family through the process.

It’s significant because it shows the curiosity for the American player just refusing to accept what he’s told he has to do,” Vaccaro said. “We’re getting closer to the European reality of a professional at a young age. Basically, Jeremy Tyler is saying, ‘Why do I have to go to high school?’ ”

People who get GEDs struggle to be taken seriously... it is far worse than leaving university/college early because secondary school is the basic requirement to get a minimum wage job. Clearly this young man will not have to worry about working for minimum wage and for me it's not about earning potential.

The ignorance of the first quote amazes me. Obviously this is not his son we talking about. How many top athletes end up with money problems. If I started off, I would need about two pages.
An education is a guaranteed insurance for your future. To not encourage a child to finish highschool is idiocy. Obviously the rush was that so no other agent get to him.

If he break his leg in the first or second year in Europe. What will he do with the rest of his life?

VB
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:13:22 AM by Tallman »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 05:43:22 AM »

The ignorance of the first quote amazes me. Obviously this is not his son we talking about. How many top athletes end up with money problems. If I started off, I would need about two pages.
An education is a guaranteed insurance for your future. To not encourage a child to finish highschool is idiocy. Obviously the rush was that so no other agent get to him.

If he break his leg in the first or second year in Europe. What will he do with the rest of his life?

VB

VB, the reality is that many parents make similar decisions for their own children.  In fact, the player's parents are complicit in this case. 

Not saying it is a decision without risk but the sports world is filled of examples of people turning pro before adulthood.  This is only strange because we've never seen an American bballer do it but it happens in other sports and with European basketballers. 

Those pursuing careers in the entertainment industry often make similar choices. 

This fella made enough money over those months to pay cash for a college education.

1]; } ?>