March 28, 2024, 11:28:15 PM

Author Topic: Time to rid T&T football of ‘mash-up’ mentality.  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Time to rid T&T football of ‘mash-up’ mentality.
« on: April 16, 2010, 04:50:26 AM »
Time to rid T&T football of ‘mash-up’ mentality.
T&T Guardian Reports.

The priorities Valdano expressed should become the watermark of any football club, organisation, and player who wishes to remain relevant in an age where there are so many distractions and outlets compete for an audience.

Yet, it can be emphatically stated that for the past four years, our senior national team has failed to meet the criteria established by Valdano. Of course, I am stating the obvious. However, much like what is done at support groups that work on defeating substance abuse, it is important that we acknowledge that since the Soca Warriors waved thank you to their adoring fans in Kaiserslautern, we have failed to win and have certainly failed to please the crowd.

The challenge to navigate the Soca Warriors back to a place of respectability has now fallen upon the shoulders of Russell Latapy.

It would be a gross understatement to say that Russell has accepted a serious challenge; not the least of which is to breathe a sense of legitimacy into a programme that has seen all of the goodwill constructed through the 2006 campaign torn down and incinerated soon into the buildup of the 2010 campaign.

Sadly, such a precipitous drop from the heights achieved in 2006 is a characteristic not exclusive to our senior team. Upon the slightest accomplishment, it is common to hear the refrain “we reach!” soon followed by the screeching sounds of progress halted by poor individual or organisational decisions.

Upon our return from Germany, the ill-fated struggle between players and administrators threatened to destroy all that was righteous and wholesome about the story of little T&T; the country whose fans and players won over supporters throughout Germany and the world. From my own perspective, the winds of change emerged soon after the campaign when the decision was made to reduce the portfolio assigned to me as Technical Director.

No longer would I be as instrumental in the entire national team structure as I had been from 2004-2006. My main function as technical director would instead be “confined” to coaching development and goalkeeping and others would instead assume national team and player development duties.

I write this, not to absolve myself from the debacle of the 2010 campaign, but to illustrate that I too have been affected when we get “too happy” after an accomplishment and discard fundamental elements that produced and in some ways exceeded desired results.

Avarice, ambition, and the absence of mutual respect led the senior national programme astray. The question is what can be done to return to the place where prominence and pride in our football programme was felt among all within the football family in T&T. Our success in Germany was attributed to many factors but none more important than a spirit of cooperation between coaches, administrators, and players.

The recent comments and subsequent actions of San Juan Jabloteh coach, Terry Fenwick, is a significant example of what must be avoided in order to move our national teams forward.

Our coaches must work together or get out of each others’ way. Within our coaching ranks, a “mash up mentality” is often on display.

We see this toxic by product of ambition in our politics and other areas of society where those who fail to get satisfaction, engage in actions that undermine the efforts of others; partly in the hope of getting the opportunity to lead a programme, a company, or a nation themselves or just to see a nemesis fail. In this increasingly competitive world we face, a society of limited resources such as ours must reject this mentality with all haste.

I know and I have no grudges with Terry but I disagree with his reasoning behind pulling his players from the training sessions conducted by Russell. Such an assertion is incorrect because Russell shares his programme with me on a consistent basis.

Russell has organised his sessions in a manner that addresses the main deficiency that bedevils many of our teams: keeping possession.

Since possession is the focus, every facet of Russell’s training sessions, that I have seen, is structured to address the stated deficiency. I see both structure and relevance consistently on display in these sessions from the warm up to technical training (drills) to small-sided conditional games that progress to 11 vs 11 games.

Furthermore, I have to commend Russell on his considerate and complimentary approach to refrain from fitness training while the players are already engaged in their club pre-season training.

Though Terry has every right to determine the availability and training of his club players to the national team during non-Fifa dates, I would liked to have seen Terry share his concerns directly with Russell rather than through the press. Russell does indeed have a tremendous set of tasks to accomplish in order to fix a damaged programme. However, he cannot accomplish such tasks on his own.

Once decisions are made in consideration for the good of T&T football, rather than the personal good of Fenwick, Latapy or any other coach who aspires to earn the honor of leading our senior footballers, T&T football will be on its way to not only win, but also please the crowd.

Technical director, Lincoln Phillips, left, national coach Russell Latapy, centre and goalkeeping coach, Michael Maurice, at a recent training session for the national football team. PHOTO: ANTHONY HARRIS
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Time to rid T&T football of ‘mash-up’ mentality.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:28:30 AM »
That is some real :bs: right there. No wonder they push yuh backside aside. Why did he not take his own advice and share his thought personally with Fenwick.

Fenwick was right, you should not be running a National program like a club. The Tiger has really lost his claws and apparently his whiskers too. There is nothing productive and relevant about our current "National SetUp" right now. Why take players from their clubs to work on technique and possession? How about the National set up work with the clubs for a change? Did Latapy meet with all coaches in a meeting to express his desires and to outline his vision and ideas? Did he or the TTFF provide avenues for Club coaches to voice opinion about their (the TTFF and Latapy) ideas on how the players will be used?

This goes both ways Mr. Phillips. The manner in which you address this has, is and will continue to the downfall of T&T's football. The TTFF is not bigger than everyone.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »
That is some real :bs: right there. No wonder they push yuh backside aside. Why did he not take his own advice and share his thought personally with Fenwick.

Fenwick was right, you should not be running a National program like a club. The Tiger has really lost his claws and apparently his whiskers too. There is nothing productive and relevant about our current "National SetUp" right now. Why take players from their clubs to work on technique and possession? How about the National set up work with the clubs for a change? Did Latapy meet with all coaches in a meeting to express his desires and to outline his vision and ideas? Did he or the TTFF provide avenues for Club coaches to voice opinion about their (the TTFF and Latapy) ideas on how the players will be used?

This goes both ways Mr. Phillips. The manner in which you address this has, is and will continue to the downfall of T&T's football. The TTFF is not bigger than everyone.

Not only this but the TTFF continued failure in providing a confirm calender is another problem. They say one thing and next week it change again, I am sure if they run the federation correct Fenwick will NOT have a problem.

Lincoln trying to look like de nice guy here when he should just have things iron out better with the TTFF and then approach Fenwick and other T&T club managers with the right structure and fixtures. Instead he just trying to make Jack feel he doing something.

Latapy feel he in de 80's when man have to go to work and then jump on a maxi and come training, having them running in de hot sun, eating KFC and drinking pipe water. What is the TD or TTFF (who ever) doing to help players on a personal level and not just on the field ? We players not only in need of training, they need good food and mental teaching to.

Food for thoughts.

Backward training for mordernise football.

We going Brazil for sure, but on vacation.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:49:42 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »

Latapy met with the coaches and they all agreed to the training. 
http://ttffonline.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=787&Itemid=1

Don't know what else Latapy can do with no games scheduled and everything put on hold. As TD, LP can only offer advice and counsel. From day one Jack, and his circle make the decisions. When Jack followed LP's counsel, things went well. When he didn't, things didn't go too well. Frustration about the national program is being directed towards LP when all he is trying to do is get parties to work together. Instead people want him blaze Jack and co. but when Gary Hunt "stood up" to Jack all'yuh cried out in pain because you think the England fete match would have been jeopardized.  Can't have it both ways people.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:06:49 AM »
http://ttffonline.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=787&Itemid=1

Dat was over a year ago. Now is ah different time, different situation, different goals/milestones.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »
Not only that Tallman, but over a year ago Latapy met with the pro league coaches and he was only interim, now he permanent and he can't get things in order.

Lincoln came out in public to help get things in order and attack Fenwick in a smart way. I bet you Fenwick must have read that article and just laugh it off.

Many things changed in one year, for example.

North East Stars was not there then.

South End now under new mangement.

Jabloteh have a new coach now.

Maturana gone.

Petrotrin gone out of business.

Well said Sam. Same story, different book.

Food for thoughts.

Backward training for mordernise football.

We going Brazil for sure, but on vacation.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:17:30 AM by Sando »

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »

Dat was over a year ago. Now is ah different time, different situation, different goals/milestones.

Yes, but the point is that he met with the coaches; which was disputed. The goals and milestones are different but it doesn't change Latapy's attempt and need to work with players. I don't think a national team is being treated like a club team here; at least a club team has games week in, week out. I guess the question is, what should Latapy be doing at this stage with little to no money? He certainly can't scout matches of players in the current overseas pool, so he must focus his efforts on the local game.

Sam, I agree, the players need help with off the field matters, but, who's going to pay for the programs you mentioned? Also, don't the players themselves bear some responsibility as well? They should know what food to eat and that you can't fete, run around all night and expect to perform on the field the next day.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:21:45 AM by tempo »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 11:40:41 AM »
Fenwick was campaigning for Jabloteh priorities, not national team priorities. Apparently allyuh take the chain. Just because what our deficiencies at the national level don't coincide with his plans for Jabloteh does not make Latas a bad coach or make the training sessions a waste of time.

Tevez find Mancini have them training too hard, that doh mean Mancini doh know what he doing. Is all about different styles and approaches. Fenwick cah just go to the media and say Latas doh know what he doing because he doh agree with it and he would have done it differently.

At least Tiger Phillips say something..allyuh applaud that fact, nah! The man even call out the TTFF and Jack indirectly.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 12:45:12 PM »
Fenwick was campaigning for Jabloteh priorities, not national team priorities. Apparently allyuh take the chain. Just because what our deficiencies at the national level don't coincide with his plans for Jabloteh does not make Latas a bad coach or make the training sessions a waste of time.

Again I say... Fenwick has always been his own man, he don't need to write no explanation in the Express for his actions.  If he wanted to "campaign for Jabloteh's priorities" he easily could have done so without the roundabout rigamarole of breaking down the trainind sessions under Latapy as pretext for pulling his players.  He's pulled them in the past.... what was stopping him from pulling them again this time?  Is who he suddenly fraid that he have to offer cover for his actions now?

That makes no sense... as does the continued criticism that he juss campaigning for wuk.  LP talking about Fenwick undermining Latapy to get opportunity for himself... well what has Lincoln Phillips been doing, except turning tricks for his supper in the same kennel as Camps, Fuentes and the other TTFF lapdogs?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
well boy LP!!!! yuh fuget to mention the Don and yuh sparrin partner.  wham? spirit of cooperation my foot!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 02:11:24 PM »
Lincoln sounds correct this rongs. He is right to come to the defense of Latas as there are other agendas going orn dread. I say again, Fenwick is great, kinda like Mourinho, for club football but before the comparison becomes too complimentary for Fenos, he is too polarizing, toxic and selfish for national football. Period. If yuh cyah read between the lines then good luck for allyuh on dah bandwaggon.  :'(
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »
I applaud LP for putting it all out there.

At the least it is just different viewpoints of how to achieve the same goals.

At it's worst it is competing agendas.

Worst case scenerio who do you trust more LP/Latas or Fenwick, who couldn't make it in big leagues. Foreigner come to Trini and take advantage of some disoranized people an now they think he worthy of praise. I'd at least like to hear Fenwick state is vision for our football on a macro and micro level.

TnT Patriot

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 05:10:15 PM »
"Avarice, ambition, and the absence of mutual respect led the senior national programme astray."
Fixed it for you LP

For MANY MANY years A"J"W as been like this........How can players have respect when they have to deal with the likes of him
I would suggest to you LP that first and foremost, A"J"W has to come again, without these traits, and treat players with respect.

But that will be a very hard sell as
"JACK RUN TINGS" and therefore ya do what jack says......NOW, if not, sooner.

Serious thing, RESPECT is ALL that is needed and Many of the problems that ails TnT football will cease
Mark my words
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:25:32 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 05:21:57 PM »
Lincoln sounds correct this rongs. He is right to come to the defense of Latas as there are other agendas going orn dread. I say again, Fenwick is great, kinda like Mourinho, for club football but before the comparison becomes too complimentary for Fenos, he is too polarizing, toxic and selfish for national football. Period. If yuh cyah read between the lines then good luck for allyuh on dah bandwaggon.  :'(

I tend to agree with this assessment
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
who do you trust more LP/Latas or Fenwick, who couldn't make it in big leagues.
Between one who fail in de big leagues and one who never reach?

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
Did he really ever have a chance to reach?
TnT Patriot

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 05:31:21 PM »
hear nuh
Latas was an assistant with Falkirk man
he must have learnt something ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »
hear nuh
Let Fenwick state his vision
TnT Patriot

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »
hear nuh
ah have ah feelin that you know that having a vision for TnT football will not be his main challenge
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
hear nuh
ah have ah feelin that you know that having a vision for TnT football will not be his main challenge
LOL :rotfl: :rotfl:
TnT Patriot

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 01:29:14 AM »

Worst case scenerio who do you trust more LP/Latas or Fenwick, who couldn't make it in big leagues. Foreigner come to Trini and take advantage of some disoranized people an now they think he worthy of praise. I'd at least like to hear Fenwick state is vision for our football on a macro and micro level.

What does him being ah foreigner has tuh do with anything? it's attitudes and thinking like that which hinders growth and development of ah ppl.

if ah man/woman have something positive to contribute, who gives ah F$%#@ where they're from! backward thinking @ best my yute.         emancipate yuh self from that kinda low level thinking bro, yuh bigger than that.                                                                      positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 04:56:38 AM »

What does him being ah foreigner has tuh do with anything? it's attitudes and thinking like that which hinders growth and development of ah ppl.

if ah man/woman have something positive to contribute, who gives ah F$%#@ where they're from! backward thinking @ best my yute.         emancipate yuh self from that kinda low level thinking bro, yuh bigger than that.                                                                      positive.
         Well said  :beermug:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 06:30:31 AM »
I agree with pretty much what LP said except: Avarice, ambition, and the absence of mutual respect led the senior national programme astray. The question is what can be done to return to the place where prominence and pride in our football programme was felt among all within the football family in T&T.  I presume he meant the TTFF administration and not the players. The players were RIGHT.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 07:11:24 AM »
I would imagine his criticism targeted the TTFF, who are the decision makers. The players never made policy, they were asking what was rightfully theirs,  and there was never any issue about mutual respect among the players.   

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »

if ah man/woman have something positive to contribute, who gives ah F$%#@ where they're from! backward thinking @ best my yute.         emancipate yuh self from that kinda low level thinking bro, yuh bigger than that.                                                                      positive.

well well well JC, I find yuh real mellow since you stop taking on this Trinidad football thing. I like it! What is the secret? Golf? Yoga? Bridge? Crochet? ;-)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »

You kinda late... Fenwick state that ample times in the past.  As for the matter of "trust", LP lost the benefit of the doubt long time ago.  He's been a TTFF insider for how long now?  What has he done to challenge the status quo or make things better for our football?

Latas was selfish as a player... as was his right.  Right now he's a rookie learning on the job.  "Trust" as you call it really has nothing to do with it.  At this point is all about who ready, willing... and most of all, ABLE to make a difference in TnT football.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Lincoln: Coaches key to Warriors’ success.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 04:46:44 AM »
Coaches key to Warriors’ success.
By Lincoln Phillips (T&T Newsday).

“Some say in football only winning is important, but I think pleasing the crowd is also essential” — Jorge Alberto Valdano (1955), Argentine National Team Footballer

The priorities Mr Valdano expressed should become the watermark of any football club, organisation, and player who wish to remain relevant in an age where there are so many distractions and outlets compete for an audience.

Yet, it can be emphatically stated that for the past four years, the senior team football in Trinidad and Tobago has failed to meet the criteria established by Mr Valdano. Of course, I am stating the obvious.

However, much like what is done at support groups that work on defeating substance abuse, it is important that we acknowledge that since the Soca Warriors waved thank you to their adoring fans in Kaiserslautern, we have failed to win and have certainly failed to please the crowd.

The challenge to navigate the Soca Warriors back to a place of respectability has now fallen upon the shoulders of Russell Latapy. It would be a gross understatement to say that Russell has accepted a serious challenge; not the least of which is to breathe a sense of legitimacy into a programme that has seen all of the goodwill constructed through the 2006 campaign torn down and incinerated soon into the build-up of the 2010 campaign.

Sadly, such a precipitous drop from the heights achieved in 2006 is a characteristic not exclusive to our senior team.

Upon the slightest accomplishment, it is common to hear the refrain “We reach!” soon followed by the screeching sounds of progress halted by poor individual or organisational decisions. Upon our return from Germany, the ill-fated struggle between players and administrators threatened to destroy all that was righteous and wholesome about the story of little Trinidad and Tobago; the country whose fans and players won over supporters throughout Germany and the world.

From my own perspective, the winds of change emerged soon after the campaign when the decision was made to reduce the portfolio assigned as me as Technical Director.

No longer would I be as instrumental in the entire national team structure as I had been from 2004-2006. My main function as Technical Director would instead be “confined” to coaching development and goalkeeping and others would instead assume national team and player development duties.

I write this not to absolve myself from the debacle of the 2010 campaign but to illustrate that I too have been affected when we get “too happy” after an accomplishment and discard fundamental elements that produced and in some ways exceeded desired results.

Avarice, ambition, and the absence of mutual respect led the senior national programme astray. The question is what can be done to return to the place where prominence and pride in our football programme was felt among all within the football family in Trinidad and Tobago?

Our success in Germany was attributed to many factors but none more important than a spirit of co-operation between coaches, administrators, and players.

The recent comments and subsequent actions of San Juan Jabloteh coach, Terry Fenwick, is a significant example of what must be avoided in order to move our national teams forward.

Our coaches must work together or get out of each others’ way. Within our coaching ranks, a “mash up mentality” is often on display. We see this toxic by-product of ambition in our politics and other areas of society where those who fail to get satisfaction, engage in actions that undermine the efforts of others; partly in the hope of getting the opportunity to lead a programme, a company, or a nation themselves or just to see a nemesis fail.

In this increasingly competitive world we face, a society of limited resources such as ours must reject this mentality with all haste. I know Terry very well and he, like any other coach in the country, has the right to voice his opinions about the game but I disagree with his reasoning behind pulling his players from the training sessions conducted by Russell.

Unless, Terry actually sat down with Russell to go over the training programme, I’m not sure how he can come to the conclusion that the training sessions lack “structure” “progression” or “relevance”.

Such an assertion is incorrect because Russell shares his programme with me on a consistent basis. Russell has organised his sessions in a manner that addresses the main deficiency that bedevils many of our teams: keeping possession.

Since possession is the focus, every facet of Russell’s training sessions, that I have seen, is structured to address the stated deficiency. I see both structure, progression and relevance consistently on display in these sessions from the warm-up to technical training (drills) to small-sided conditional games that progress to 11vs11 matches.

Furthermore, I have to commend Russell on his considerate and complimentary approach to refrain from fitness training while the players are already engaged in their club pre-season training.

Though Terry has every right to determine the availability and training of his club players to the national team during non-FIFA dates, I would liked to have seen him share his concerns directly with Russell rather than through the press.

Perhaps an attempt to reach out to Russell was made; if so, Russell should use this episode to understand that as national coach, he must be expected to go out of his way to establish a close bond with club coaches who entrust their players to his leadership and guidance when they are called upon for national duty.

Russell does indeed have a tremendous set of tasks to accomplish in order to fix a damaged programme. However, he cannot accomplish such tasks on his own. I can think of no better occurrence than to see Russell Latapy and all the professional coaches establish a strong working relationship for the good of football in Trindad and Tobago.

Once decisions are made in consideration for the good of TT football, rather than the personal good of Terry Fenwick, Russell Latapy, or any other coach who aspires to earn the honour of leading our senior footballers, TT football will be on its way to not only win but also please the crowd.

(Lincoln Phillips is the Technical Director of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation).
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 07:24:10 AM »
um dis is d same as d one above ??? ;D, jus two different sources
I pity the fool....

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »
" The Heights reached by our soca warriors in 2006 " is a much maligned phrase. Some local commentors are begnning with or including this phrase in their articles, basing their analyses on this phrase.

History will record that T&T qualified for the 2006 WC in germany and managed a draw against Sweden. Before we analyse any present day football situation using this phrase we might wish to consider the following facts.

The 2006 Soca Warriors finished 4th in the Concacaf group of six behind The USA, Mexico and Costa Rica.CONCACAF/Asia Play-off

November 12 2005

Trinidad & Tobago 1 Bahrain 1
Second half goals from Bahrain's Salman Husein and the T&T equalizer from Christopher Birchall, leave the game balanced in favor of Bahrain.

T&T beat Bahrain 1-0 in the return game to qualify for Germany.

Stage Three Final Table
USA, Mexico, Costa Rica qualify automatically for Germany 2006, Trinidad and Tobago go into a play-off against Bahrain.

CONCACAF Stage Three
Team Played Won Drawn Lost GF GA Points
USA 10 7 1 2 16 6 22
Mexico 10 7 1 2 22 9 22
Costa Rica 10 5 1 4 15 14 16
Trinidad & Tobago 10 4 1 5 10 15 13
Guatemala 10 3 2 5 16 18 11
Panama  10 0 2 8 4 21 2

October 12 2005

(Foxboro): USA 0 v Panama 0
(Port of Spain): Trinidad & Tobago 2 v Mexico 1 ( Mexico already qualified for Germany )
(Guatemala City): Guatemala 3 v Costa Rica 1

October 8 2005

(Panama City): Panama 0 v Trinidad & Tobago 1
(San Luis Potosi): Mexico 5 v Guatemala 2
(San Jose): Costa Rica 3 v USA 0

September 7 2005

(Mexico City): Mexico 5 v Panama 0
(Guatemala City): Guatemala 0 v USA 0
(San Jose): Costa Rica 2 v Trinidad & Tobago 0

September 3 2005

(Columbus) USA 2 v Mexico 0
(Panama City): Panama 1 v Costa Rica 3
(Port of Spain): Trinidad & Tobago 3 v Guatemala 2

17 August 05

(East Hartford): USA 1 v Trinidad & Tobago 0
(Guatemala City): Guatemala 2 v Panama 1
(Mexico City): Mexico 2 v Costa Rica 0

08 June 05

(Panama City): Panama 0 v USA 3
(San Jose): Costa Rica 3 v Guatemala 2
(Monterrey): Mexico 2 v Trinidad & Tobago 0

04 June 05

(Guatemala City): Guatemala 0 v Mexico 2
(Salt Lake City, USA): USA 3 v Costa Rica 0
(Port of Spain): Trinidad & Tobago 2 v Panama 0 Panama remains a baseball nation.

30 Mar 05

USA 2 v Guatemala 0. US outclass lively Guatemala.
Panama 1 v Mexico 1. Panama take advantage of 10-man Mexico.
Trinidad & Tobago 0 v Costa Rica 0. Ticos slip up against T & T.

26 Mar 05

Mexico 2 v USA 1. Johnson isolated in US attack as Borgetti uses his head.
Costa Rica 2 v Panama 1. 10-man Ticos win it in 2nd min of stoppage time behind closed doors.
Guatemala 5 v Trinidad & Tobago 1. El Primitivo's men thrash T & T.

February 9 05

(Port of Spain): USA 2 v Trinidad and Tobago 1
(San Jose): Costa Rica 1 v Mexico 2
(Panama City): Panama 0 v Guatemala 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Concacaf confederation of North American, Central American and Caribbean nations has 3.5 berths for the 2006 World Cup. A The round of qualifying matches will determine which teams progress to the finals in Germany.

12 teams advance from the first round of matches [see below]. These 12 teams enter a semifinal round with 3 groups of 4 teams; the top two teams from each group advancing to a final round of six teams.

These six teams play each other home and away with the top three teams automatically qualifying for the 2006 World Cup with the fourth placed team facing the fifth placed Asian team in a two-leg playoff for a berth at the World Cup in Germany.

17 Nov 2004 update
The next round will comprise the following teams: Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago and the United States. World Cup 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 4  5  1 may sound like a modern day football formation but it is in fact our record which earned us 4th place in the hexagonal and a playoff aginst Bahrain. 4 wins, 5 losses and a draw in the group of 6.

For 2010 the playoff spot, which we failed to earn, was against the 5th place team in South america, in this case against a team which had won the WC twice in its history.

The way some people talk and write you would think the soca warriors were world beaters and that we have fallen so far now ....when you read the facts you would have to admit that we were the reciepient of some good fortune ....( the change in the playoff arrangement proved that )

Outside of Trinidad and tobago and outside of T&T reated circles, we were/ are not seen as a football nation. Much credit is given to Jack warner for his machinations in our 2006  Germany success.

When we got there though , we defended well against some top rated teams ...we eh play no top class football as some would suggest ..and no player get any contract  as a result of outstanding play.

So when we talk about falling from de heights of 2006 ..I just wanted to state the facts concerning those heights.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »
no jai I have to disagree with you.  our brand was progressivley improving under the proper coach,and them kinda drubbing and teams scoring on us at will was progressively coming to an end.  I run into people all the time who say - ay, Trinidad, they have a pretty good football team - people not from the bigger football nations, but the nations that don't usually make it like nepal, zimbabwe, even colombia.  It is right to say that WC 2006 was the height of our achievement.  because the eyes of the whole world was on us. I sure watching this next world cup you will take notice of a team you never hear bout before.  And the thing is, everybody could see we were still improving in 2006...unfortunately, we haven't had a situation since where you get that same confidence that we are getting better.

1]; } ?>