March 29, 2024, 09:04:13 AM

Author Topic: Football Referee Thread  (Read 4857 times)

Offline troy piloy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Football Referee Thread
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Hey ppl

A friend of mine is interested in becoming a football referee.
He asked me if i knew and i was stumped i looked in the phone book for an association but no luck.
If anyone here knows how can you please post the information.

Thanks in Advance
Troy 8)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:59:36 AM by Flex »
Senior Advisor to AWATT's Intelligence Unit

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football Referee
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:15:18 AM »
Trinidad & Tobago Football Referees Association
15 Warner St., Port-of-Spain
622-1445
622-1496
622-4427

Yuh could also check SHOTTA and GunnerStunner. Ah tink both ah dem took some courses.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline troy piloy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football Referee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
Thanks Tallman
I will pass on the information

Troy 8)
Senior Advisor to AWATT's Intelligence Unit

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Referees’ course in east
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »
Referees’ course in east
T&T Newsday

INTERESTED in becoming a football referee? Well the intensive course organised by the East Zone of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation invited you to pursue your dream.

The course started on June 14 and runs on Mondays and Thursdays from 6.30 pm to 8.30 pm at the St Augustine Secondary school.

Ishmael St Bryce, co-ordinator of the programme has said that it is not too late for interested persons to join and become qualified football referees.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football Referee Thread
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA referees programme held in T&T
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:42:59 AM »
FIFA referees programme held in T&T
By Stephon Nicholas (T&T Newsday)

A FIFA Referee Assistance Programme (RAP) course was conducted in T&T from November 26-30 for 21 of the top referees locally at the VIP Lounge of the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo. FIFA conducts one of these RAP courses every year in each of its Member Associations (MA), providing top FIFA Instructors for each course.

The FIFA personnel sent here were: Lionel Leal-Bermudez, FIFA Referee Technical Instructor from Costa Rica, and Kalisha Antoine, FIFA Referee Physical Instructor from Antigua.

There were 18 referees from Trinidad and three from Tobago. The local MA instructors that conducted lecture sessions and field activities for the course were Michael Ragoonath, Jaggernauth Goolcharan, Mentor Baptiste(Tobago), Joseph Taylor and Julien Drayton. These local Instructors attended A FIFA Futuro III Workshop in Costa Rica in September which prepared them to deliver instruction sessions for this RAP course. The local MA delivered most of the sessions for the course with the FIFA Instructors delivering on some critical topics and generally supervising. The course started at 6am on the Monday with the referee participants undergoing the FIFA referees fitness test. During the course, all of the main issues involved in the interpretation and application of the laws of the game and in the physical fitness of the referees were covered.

The T&T FIFA referees that participated were Crystal Sobers, Cecile Hinds, Carissa Douglas(Tobago), Rodphin Harris, Ainsley Rochard, Joseph Bertrand, and Caleb Wales.

The course was organized by the Referees Department of the TTFA headed by Wayne Caesar, with critical inputs from members of the Referees Committee of the TTFA and the TT Football Referees Association (TTFRA) – Joseph Taylor (Chairman TTFA Referees Committee and President TTFRA), Osmond Downer (Advisor/Consultant to the Referees Department), Boni Bishop (General Secretary TTFRA), and Notoya Byron-Frection (Secretary of the Referees Committee).

The course was officially declared open by Ewing Davis, Vice-President of the TTFA, on the Monday, and concluded on the Friday with the President of the TTFA, David John Williams delivering the closing address.

In his address, John-Williams exhorted the participants to strive to put T&T back on the refereeing map as this country once boasted the leading referees in the Caribbean and CONCACAF (Len Jardin, George Cumberbatch, Osmond Downer, Errol Forbes, Ramesh Ramdhan, Douglas James, Merere Gonzales, Michael Ragoonath, Joseph Taylor, Boni Bishop, Lynda Bramble-Thompson, Shayne De Silva,Cassie Moore, and Cindy Mohammed). He also promised that next year, the RAP course will be held in the conference room of the Home of Football in Couva, with the participants staying at its hotel.

John-Williams closed proceedings by handing out Certificates of Participation.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Downer: TT refs not on world stage
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 09:54:03 PM »
Downer: TT refs not on world stage
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

OSMOND DOWNER, vice-president of the TT Football Referees Association, has called on the TT Football Association (TTFA) to play its part to ensure more TT officials are selected for CONCACAF and FIFA tournaments.

Downer was speaking at the TTFA refereeing department’s FIFA badge distribution ceremony, at the media room of the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva yesterday.

Four officials – Crystal Sobers (referee), Caleb Wales, Ainsley Rochard and Joseph Bertrand (assistant referees) – were presented with their respective badges, after their selection to the 2019 FIFA panel.

Sobers was recently named as the second-best CONCACAF woman referee for 2018, behind Lucila Venegas of Mexico.

Two other TT officials on the 2019 FIFA panel, Cecile Hinds and Evelyn Douglas-Jacob, were absent from yesterday’s event.

Speaking at the ceremony, Downer expressed his displeasure that no local referee was on the short-list of officials for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

“I see a name from Jamaica,” said Downer. “And this hurts me. We have nobody to speak for Trinidad. When I was in a position as deputy chairman of the CONCACAF referees committee and a member of the FIFA referees committee, I made sure that not only people from Trinidad – but from the Caribbean – reached where they should have reached.”

Echoing a call made earlier in the ceremony by chairman of the TTFA referees commission Joseph Taylor, Downer urged TTFA president John Williams, who was present, to “try to get a voice for TT in the places that count.”

Downer continued, “We have nobody in CONCACAF (or) CFU talking for referees. We have nobody in FIFA as (what) used to be. There are a lot of politics, not only in football but in refereeing.

“I’m appealing to the president of the TTFA to do something,” said the former FIFA referee. “We have to have somebody to speak for us.”

John-Williams, in a cryptic reply, said, "There is a reason why we are in a position why we don’t have (a say) where FIFA power is concerned. That’s as much as I would say about that. That does not mean that we cannot aspire to be there again, but that would take time.”

Super League president Keith Look Loy praised the work done by the officials during the 2018 season.

But he urged the TTFA to put more resources into the development of the established as well as budding crop of local officials.

“We need to see the TTFA putting more resources into refereeing, the training of referees and the equipping and fortification of the referees department,” said Look Loy.

Also speaking at the event were Pro League CEO Julia Baptiste and head of the TTFA referees department Wayne Caesar.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 03:39:43 AM »
The guy can't even organise his national team to get paid $300 a match, how is this cretin going to get anything else done except his man-hood-compensating home for football done?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 06:27:36 PM »
Downer continued, “We have nobody in CONCACAF (or) CFU talking for referees. We have nobody in FIFA as (what) used to be. There are a lot of politics, not only in football but in refereeing.

punishment for past misdeeds by ........ you know who!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 01:43:25 AM »
Sobers wants incentives for T&T referees.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

THERE SHOULD be incentives for the budding crop of football referees, so they can remain motivated in their pursuits.

Top TT referee Crystal Sobers made this point during an interview, on Wednesday, at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

Sobers was among a group of four TT officials who received badges, after their selection to the 2019 FIFA panel. The others are Caleb Wales, Ainsley Rochard and Joseph Bertrand (all assistant referees).

Cecile Hinds and Evelyn Douglas-Jacob, who were also named on the panel, were absent from Wednesday’s event.

According to Sobers, “I’m still expecting, or I appeal for more referees, both male and female, because when we (retire) who’s going to pick up our stuff? You always want that development.”

On Wednesday, retired FIFA referee and vice-president of the TT Football Referees Association Osmond Downer, chairman of the TT Football Association (TTFA) referees committee Joseph Taylor and president of the TT Super League Keith Look Loy all called on the TTFA to do more to assist the current group, as well as the next bunch of TT officials.

Sobers said, “You don’t want to invite people to something that you see is not fulfilling or there is no worth towards it. I was happy that each one of the speakers mentioned that there must have something for the referees. You must be working towards something before becoming a FIFA referee.

“You have three classes – C, B (and) A before you can become a FIFA referee. It must have something to keep you motivated.”

A week ago, she was named as the second-best CONCACAF woman referee for 2018, behind Lucila Venegas of Mexico.

Asked how she felt upon learning of her achievement, Sobers replied, “It was shocking. I have learnt to evaluate myself and when you know to do that, you say ‘yes, I can accept this award’.

“Being (named) with the other top officials, then you’ll see where your level is at and you’ll know if you’re at the same level is at. So yes, I’m in good (company).”

The D’Abadie, Arouca resident was a member of the Joe Public women football team before making the switch to officiating.

“I was a footballer in (my) 20s, and you know the hiccups in our footballing fraternity,” said Sobers. “So, I looked for the next best option within the game and I saw refereeing.”

The role of a referee is a tough one, as they must be on top of their game, especially in this era of VAR (Video Assistance Replays) and social media pundits.

During her early stages as a referee, she acknowledged, “Confidence was not there at that point in time. It was just about being in the game because I loved (it) so much.

“Confidence (was) built when you now acknowledge what is required as a referee. I had training, knowing the laws. I said ‘okay because you enjoy the game, you aim higher’.”

Look Loy, one of her coaches at the now defunct Joe Public, recommended her to ex-national referee and instructor Krishna Kuarsingh in 2011.

“During that time was the hiccup (with her playing career) so I didn’t know much of the game, practically nor technically. So when (Look Loy) recommended me, Kuarsingh invited me to elite training. And there is where I developed the whole competency of refereeing.”

Sobers has only officiated in matches within the CONCACAF region.

She said, “It is hard getting on the panel and it is even harder to remain. This is your personal time you’re sacrificing. You have work, school and you have to find time to train.

Sobers added, “Every game is memorable. I have one game that I really loved much which was a World Cup qualifier (in) 2016. That was USA versus Puerto Rico in Texas. Knowing that you’re refereeing the number one team was, and still, is a highlight.”

Sobers is employed in the field of office administration but has put her studies (she is pursuing business management) on hold.

Outside of football, Sobers described herself as outgoing. But she said, “But it’s a changed Crystal Sobers because of the career. I was socially involved but not now.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bishop heads TTFA refs division
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 09:43:47 AM »
Bishop heads TTFA refs division
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

Boni Bish­op, a long-stand­ing mem­ber of the ref­er­ees' de­part­ment in T&T has been ap­point­ed the Head of the Ref­er­ees De­part­ment.

She re­places an­oth­er long-serv­ing mem­ber Wayne Cae­sar fol­low­ing a num­ber of in­ter­views on Sat­ur­day.

Guardian Me­dia Sports was re­li­ably in­formed that Bish­op, a high­ly qual­i­fied for­mer ref­er­ee and mem­ber of the ref­er­ees' fra­ter­ni­ty, was an easy choice for the job by the Board of Di­rec­tors of the T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion.

It is un­der­stood that, apart from Bish­op, five oth­er mem­bers faced the in­ter­view­ing pan­el for the top ref­er­ee's po­si­tion, in­clud­ing for­mer World Cup ref­er­ee Merere Gon­za­les, Tren­ton Toney, Lyn­da Bram­ble-Thomp­son, Jag­ger­nauth Goolcha­ran and the in­cum­bent Wayne Cae­sar.

Bish­op who was Gen­er­al Sec­re­tary of the T&T Ref­er­ee As­so­ci­a­tion as well as the Head of the Ap­point­ment's Com­mit­tee of the T&TFA, in her new po­si­tion, will now be re­spon­si­ble for:

Sit­ting as a mem­ber of the Ref­er­ees Com­mit­tee and as­sist the Ref­er­ees Com­mit­tee in its func­tions: To im­ple­ment de­ci­sions adopt­ed by the Ref­er­ees Com­mit­tee: To car­ry out all tasks re­lat­ed to the lo­gis­tics of ref­er­ee­ing: To car­ry out all ad­min­is­tra­tive du­ties of the ref­er­ee­ing de­part­ment: To im­ple­ment pro­grammes to de­vel­op the Ref­er­ees ac­cord­ing to the guide­lines ap­proved by the Ref­er­ees Com­mit­tee: and to or­gan­ise cours­es for Ref­er­ees, Ref­er­ee In­struc­tors and Ref­er­ee As­ses­sors.

She is al­so re­spon­si­ble for: To pre­pare and pro­duce teach­ing ma­te­ri­als in line with the Laws of the Game is­sued by IFAB: To re­port reg­u­lar­ly or month­ly on its ac­tiv­i­ties to the Ref­er­ees Com­mit­tee ei­ther di­rect­ly or through the Vice Pres­i­dent for Mem­bers Af­fairs of the Mem­ber As­so­ci­a­tion: To en­sure that all pro­grams im­ple­ment­ed meets with the ap­proval and or con­sent of the Ref­er­ees

Com­mit­tee: To work with as­signed staff in the per­for­mance of all du­ties as­signed to the ref­er­ees' de­part­ment.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 05:59:54 AM »
TTFA's appointments of Bishop, Taylor are against FIFA's statutes.
By Keith Clement (Guardian).

T&T Football Referees Association's (TTFRA) role within the T&T Football Association's (TTFA) operations is one of the concerns that FIFA had after consultation with Concacaf before deciding to send a Normalization Committee.

Guardian Media Sports was reliably informed that information had reached Concacaf that the TTFA had appointed Joseph Taylor and Boni Bishop to head the TTFA Referees Committee and Referee Department respectively against its advice not to do so at a meeting on October 4, 2019, because of a conflict of interest of persons who belong to the TTRFA, an organisation which functions as a Union for referees as stated in the meeting.

Also, it was pointed out that Taylor is the president of the TTRFA and Bishop is the chairperson of the appointments committee and is also the sitting general secretary of the TTRFA.

Guardian Media Sports has seen documents from the October 4 meeting which took place at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Balmain, Couva with all local refereeing stakeholders together with Dave Meikle, the Concacaf Referee Manager for the Caribbean region and Javier Santos, the Referee Development Officer for Concacaf, present.

TTFA was advised in October to have the appropriate referee committee established according to the FIFA regulations and to immediately revised the constitution to reflect best practices as directed by FIFA statutes and to guard against dual roles for those serving the TTFA referees committee and the Referees Association.

However, it appears that despite Concacaf's advise TTFA led by William Wallace, who took up office on November 24, 2019, acted against FIFA's advise by making the appointments in January and again in March.

Among those who attended the meeting were

Camara David (the then general secretary of the TTFA), Wayne Caesar (head of the TTFA Refereeing Department), Joseph Taylor (chairman of the TTFA Referees’ Committee/president of TTFRA/MA Fitness Instructor),

Osmond Downer (a member of TTFA Referees’ Committee /TTFRA vice president), Bishop (chairman of the TTFA Referees’ Committee Appointment Committee/TTFRA General Secretary), Meikle (Concacaf Referee Manager - Caribbean Region), Santos (RDO FIFA/Concacaf), Lynda Bramble-Thompson, Jaggernath Goolcharan, Michael Ragoonath, Nigel Roberts and David Ramkelawan.

The meeting which was chaired by David became necessary after two previous meetings by Jamaican Peter Prendergast, a Concacaf Development Officer and former two-time World Cup referee failed to get parties to comply in 2016-2017 despite FIFA having amended its statutes in 2011.

The meeting was told that the roles and function of individuals serving both the TTRFA and the TTFA conflicted with FIFA statutes for several years and 11 topics of concerns were raised and discussed.

The number of votes the TTRFA has, was also a concern together with its position on board of directors, while the Secondary Schools League (SSFL) which represents perhaps the largest single stakeholder locally only had one vote and no seat at the board level.

Among the topics discussed were:

- There are a misunderstanding and misinterpretation of the FIFA Regulations on the organisation of refereeing in the member association;

- The refereeing department and the Referee Committee are deeply divided over the roles and responsibilities;

- The Referee Association is represented at the board level of the TTFA and has two votes;

- TTFA referees committee is chaired by Taylor, who is president of the TTFRA. Taylor is also the MA Fitness Instructor;

- Chairperson of the appointments committee is Bishop, who is also the general secretary of TTFRA.

- Osmond Downer is a member of the TTFA referees committee but he is also a First vice president of the Referees Association (TTFRA). Lee Davis is also a member of the Referees Committee and Referees Association

Head of TTFA Refereeing Department, Wayne Caesar asserts that this arrangement means his department has no say in the appointment of match officials nor is his department aware of appointments. The MA technical instructors are also not copied on game assignments

Instructors Bramble-Thompson, Goolcharan and Ragoonath were also highly critical of this arrangement saying the Referees Association dominance of the Referees Committee amounts to third party control, also citing this is in direct conflict of the FIFA Statutes

They also informed the meeting that Messers Taylor and Downer are using their influence to coerce referees into registering with the Referees Association or face victimisation.

It was stated: "There is distrust among the parties as it is generally felt that the referee association members use the umbrella of the referee committee to advance their agenda.

However, "Taylor, Downer and Bishop denied the allegations during the meeting saying instead there is a move to break up the Referee Association which is there to represent the interest of the referees."

It was also highlighted that similar meetings for clarification were held in the past with the Refereeing Development Officer, Peter Prendergast. However, the parties involved have simply refused to comply.

According to Meikle, this evident divergence of refereeing interest must be resolved in the shortest possible time as this platform which has been allowed to exist will continue to do more harm than good. It appears to be devoid of transparency and objectivity. The present structure in T&T Member Association is not in keeping with the FIFA Statues relating to the organising of refereeing.

He pointed out to the TTFA articles: 3.2 and 4.1 as its guide.

Article 3.2 reads: “Under no circumstances may it fall under the supervision or control of other bodies, such as the leagues, unions or government (including parliaments and any other state authorities)”.

Article 4.1 states: "Its members may not be affiliated to any clubs, leagues or any other football organization” The members of the Referee Committee are bonafide members of the Referees association (TTFRA). It is causing concerns related to the appointment of the referees".

Meikle, then suggested a deadline of December 31, 2019, for the TTFA to regularise the situation and he listed seven recommendations items in particular item six which reads: "A specific timeline should be given to have the situation rectified and sanctions to be applied for non-compliance.

FIFA/Concacaf recommendations:

1 To have an appropriate referees committee established as per FIFA Regulations;

2 The TTFA needs to revise its constitution to immediately reflect best practices as directed by FIFA statutes;

3 The constitution of the TTFA should be amended to guard against dual roles, 1.e serving the referee committee and the referee association at the same time;

4 In general, we recommend that the TTFA uses its authority to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest to minimise the risk to the FA’s reputation concerning integrity;

5 TTFA should establish a code of conduct which outlines situations, for example, conflict of interest, which its officials should avoid and actions to be taken if problematic situations arise;

6 A specific timeline should be given to have the situation rectified and sanctions to be applied for non-compliance;

7 Suggested deadline to regularise the situation: December 31st, 2019.

When contacted on the matter Ramesh Ramdhan, the general secretary of the TTFA and a former head of the TTFA Referees Department told Guardian Media Sports that he's aware of the matter and the letter from FIFA and the recommendations outlined.

He said: "Yes, I'm aware of it. There was a sequence of letters being exchanged prior to me becoming secretary, written by Concacaf to the TTFA. With in a week of coming into office I received a letter from Concacaf giving a deadline of December 31, 2019 to remove the conflict of interest that they saw residing in the refereeing department. I could not address it then so I asked for an extension to the 14 January. It was then addressed subsequently at a Board meeting when they were electing the chairman of the referees committee and the same conflict of interest thing came up among the Board. Mr Taylor was made to resign as the president of the TTRFA to pick up the appointment as chairman of the Referees Committee and he did and he was appointed."

However, on March 9, the TTFA appointed Bishop, who is the present general secretary of TTFRA to replace Caesar as Head of the Referees Department (HORD) following interviews conducted on February 26 and 27.

The Guardian Media Sports also saw documents which placed Bishop with the second overall best score of the three finalists, while former World Cup referee Merere Louis Gonzales finished first overall from the interview panel of six persons which comprised three TTFA Board members (Clynt Taylor, Joseph Taylor and Susan Joseph-Warrick) and which highlights the concern FIFA expressed at the meeting of October 4 about a conflict of interest.

The others who were interviewed for the top referee's position were Trenton Toney, Bramble-Thompson, Jaggernauth Goolcharan and the incumbent Caesar.

On Monday, the embattled Wallace-led football association got five letters of support from football affiliates towards its challenge of FIFA's decision to remove the duly elected officers and replace it with a Normalisation Committee to govern the sport of football here for up to two years.

The TTRFA letter is signed by Joseph Taylor as president despite claims that he has resigned from the T&TFRA. Bishop is also the general secretary of the TTFRA.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Referee, TTFRA vice-president Maynard passes
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 08:26:23 PM »
Referee, TTFRA vice-president Maynard passes
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago football referee and referees association administrator Glorick Maynard has passed on.

Maynard was second vice-president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Referees Association. In earlier years he had served as a well-known and respected referee who operated mainly in the East Zone at both club and secondary schools football levels for many years during the 1980s and 90s.

Among those sending condolences to his family were members of National Super League champions, Prison Service Football Club.

“The management, staff and players of the PSFC express condolences to the family of Mr Glorick Maynard and the refereeing fraternity. Mr Maynard served the national football community for many years with devotion and commitment,” a statement from the Prison Service club read.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 08:09:11 AM »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/V26Fhsev8jc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/V26Fhsev8jc</a>

Is the referee a collaborator on the second goal in the clip? Any referee error?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:13:31 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 12:18:13 PM »

Is the referee a collaborator on the second goal in the clip? Any referee error?

Yes. The referee is supposed to ensure the goalkeepers are ready but communicating with them before kick-off. Must be a hometown ref ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »

Yes. The referee is supposed to ensure the goalkeepers are ready but communicating with them before kick-off. Must be a hometown ref ;D

wha kind of question is that ?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 11:17:21 PM »
What's your assessment, Deeks?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 01:46:28 AM »
For every kick-off:
  • all players, except the player taking the kick off, must be in their own half of the field of play
    the opponents of the team taking the kick-off must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play
    the ball must be stationary on the centre mark
    the referee gives a signal
    the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves
    a goal may be scored directly against the opponents from the kick-off; if the ball directly enters the kicker's goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opponents
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-8---the-start-and-restart-of-play

As long as a clear signal was given, and all players were in the right half, and the ball stationary, then it's all good. Doesn't make it ethical! But Legal within the framework of the laws of the game.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 12:52:33 PM »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/V26Fhsev8jc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/V26Fhsev8jc</a>

Seeker what conclusion you came to? Will like to hear your take :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Former FIFA referee Noel Bynoe passes away
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 03:57:50 PM »
Former FIFA referee Noel Bynoe passes away
TTFA Communications

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association extends sincere and heartfelt condolences to the family of Noel Bynoe following the passing of the former FIFA Referee.

Bynoe, born January 15th, 1962, was a respectable and reputable referee from Tobago who officiated at several FIFA International matches, CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers and Champions Cup matches. For several years he officiated in many high profile domestic matches at the Pro League and Super League club  level as well as the  secondary schools football league.

He gave a number of years of excellent service to the local game as a referee and his performances and  experience were rewarded with a number of high profile appointments during this time.

Bynoe officiated at the 1999 FIFA Under 17 Men’s World Cup in New Zealand, the first FIFA World Cup to be held in the Pacific Islands. At the finals which was won by Brazil, he took charge of Spain’s 6-0 win over Thailand. That year also saw Jamaica qualify for its first youth World Cup.

Bynoe was also appointed to the 1999 CONCACAF Men’s Under 17 Championship in Jamaica and the 2002 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Also in 1999 he carried the whistle in the final of the inaugural CONCACAF Giants Cup between USA’s DC United and Club America of Mexico. That tournament served as a qualifier for the CONCACAF Clubs Cup, an eight-team, single-elimination tournament that would determine the confederation's entrant in the 2003 FIFA Club World Championship.

In 2001, Bynoe was also among the personalities who assisted in the draw for the FIFA Under 17 Men’s World Cup in Trinidad and Tobago. At the draw held at the Tobago Hilton then, he joined the likes of Brian Lara, Hasely Crawford, former netballer Lystra Lewis, ex- T&T footballer Reynold Carrington and former Miss World Giselle Laronde-West among those aiding with the pulling of the balls from the pots.

Bynoe was later honoured for his contribution to the game in 2008 by the TTFA during an event attended by former FIFA President Sepp Blatter and again in 2017 during a visit to T&T by FIFA President Gianni Infantino.

He was named the T&T Pro League’s Referee of the Year in 2000.

Additionally Bynoe was named Tobago Referee of the Year on a few occasions and was a national referees instructor and assessor, also serving on the Training, examination and assessment committee. He was also a Head Refereeing Instructor in the sister-isle and a SSFL Match Commissioner.

His presence will continue to be felt across the local refereeing community and we remember him for his sterling contribution and commitment and as a loyal and dedicated servant to the game.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ex-T&T referee Neal Brizan handed Concacaf appointment
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »
Ex-T&T referee Neal Brizan handed Concacaf appointment
T&T Newsday

FORMER T&T and FIFA football referee Neal Brizan has been appointed by Concacaf as a referee assessor for the Concacaf Caribbean Club Championship, which will take place in the Dominican Republic from May 15-25.

The 51-year-old Brizan was one of the more prominent referees in T&T, and the Caribbean, during the 2000s, and he has officiated in the 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011 Concacaf Gold Cup.

The Concacaf Caribbean Club Championship is a one-off two-round competition, which will feature a total of 15 clubs from 13 Concacaf Caribbean Member Associations.

After round-robin play between May 15-20, the first-place teams in each group will advance to the semi-finals on May 23, with the winners advancing to the competition’s final on May 25.

Group stage action will take place at the Felix Sanchez and Panamericano Stadiums, while the semi-finals and final will all be played at the Felix Sanchez.

Provided they fulfil the Concacaf Regional Club Licensing criteria required to participate in Confederation wide competitions, the champions will qualify for the 2022 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League, while the second, third and fourth place finishers will qualify for the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf League.

TEAMS –

Group A: O&M FC (Dominican Republic), Flames United SC (Sint Maarten), Inter Moengo Tapoe (Suriname), Metropolitan (Puerto Rico).

Group B: Delfines del Este (Dominican Republic), SV Racing Club (Aruba), Platinum FC (St Lucia), SV Real Rincon (Bonaire).

Group C: Don Bosco FC (Haiti), AS Samaritaine (Martinique), AS Gosier (Guadeloupe), South East FC (Dominica).

Group D: Cavaly AS (Haiti), RKSV Scherpenheuvel (Curacao), Olympique de Cayenne (French Guiana).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2021, 01:24:42 PM »

Seeker what conclusion you came to? Will like to hear your take :beermug:

I'm viewing the Brazilian U17 league. Santos vs Fluminense. Fluminense scored and the entire cohort of players, barring Fluminense's GK ran to the Flumi bench. Santos placed the ball at the center circle quickly. Most of the Fluminense players were either hydrating or celebrating. The first to hydrate started jogging back to their positions but aside from 2 players who were more or less in the middle of the pitch, the other 8 players were within feet of the touch line in front of their bench. The GK was in goal. None of the players left the field of play. The ref signaled for the Flumi players to "return", although they were on the field. As that happened, Santos kicked off. The Fluminense players reacted with a slight tad of urgency but the referee whistled for a retake of the kickoff.

In the Spanish match, the ball is already returned to the center circle (0:42) by the time the GK is trotting back to his goal. The celebration also takes place on field. The GK doesn't return to the penalty area until 0:50, but faces play at 0:47. His teammates were in position. While another referee might have treated the situation differently, I think the call was painfully, although narrowly, correct. It turned on the GK's lack of focus (at 0:52 he turns again away from play) and attention to the whistle.

Had he been jogging back to goal without ever having turned to face play, he may not have set himself up. The referee likely glanced at him when he was momentarily facing play.

Might have been better off feigning injury. In the Santos match, if the ref blew the whistle it was to attract the attention of the Flumi players, not for kickoff. I didn't discern a whistle.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 04:24:04 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2021, 09:42:41 PM »
Actually something like that happen in a Super League a couple years ago. One scored and the players were celebrating. the ref whistled for them to come for the kick off and they were still celebrating. The ref. blow for the kick off and the other team ran down and scored.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2021, 09:57:46 PM »
There's also the thought that one or more of the GK's teammates should have stayed in the opponent's half to delay the restart, but none of them probably anticipated that level of exuberance from him.

The match ended 2-1. The better team won because they reacted to the situation better. That match was a 5th tier match.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2023, 06:30:47 PM »
Four Trini referees earn FIFA badges
T&T Newsday

THERE will be four new referees from Trinidad and Tobago on FIFA’s list of match officials for 2024, and possibly beyond.

Timothy Derry (referee), Nikolai Nyron (referee), Kirt Charles (assistant referee) and Melissa Nicholas (assistant referee) have joined the new elite international panel.

Meanwhile, Kwinsi Williams, Crystal Sobers, Cecile Hinds, Caleb Wales, Ainsley Rochard and Carissa Douglas-Jacob have all retained their FIFA status for the upcoming year, which brings T&T's FIFA tally to ten match officials.

T&T now has a full team of match officials (referee, two assistant referees and fourth official) for both men and women.

Earlier this year, on September 27, Williams, Wales, Rochard and Derry were all appointed to a Concacaf Caribbean Cup fixture between Harbour View United (Jamaica) and SV Robinhood (Suriname), which made them the first Trinidadian quartet to officiate an international match since 2016.

The quartet returned for Concacaf Nations League action on October 14, overseeing Aruba vs the US Virgin Islands.

Derry refereed his first international match as a "centre referee" on November 20 alongside Wales and Williams, in a clash between Dominica and Turks and Caicos Islands in the Nations League.

Williams and Wales were later appointed for the second leg of the Caribbean Cup final on December 6, which was contested by Cavalier FC (Jamaica) and Robinhood, as the latter won 2-0 on the night and 3-0 on aggregate.

Derry’s fellow newcomers – Charles, Nyron and Nicholas – all participated in regional competitions as well. Charles made his Concacaf debut in the Caribbean Cup on October 5 as an assistant referee for the match between Robinhood and Pantoja (Dominica).

Alongside Charles, Nyron officiated in the Concacaf Boys Under-15 Championship last August while Nicholas served as an assistant referee at the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Girls Under-14 Championship accompanied by Crystal Sobers, Cecile Hinds, Carissa Douglas-Jacob and Nathalya Williams in the same month.

All ten referees also officiate in the T&T Premier Football League (TTPFL) Tier 1.

Additionally, Andrew Samuel and Nathalya Williams were accepted into the Concacaf Academy, which will assist them on their path to become FIFA referees in the near future. Samuel, along with Melissa Nicholas, were recipients of the South Zone referee and assistant referee of the year last Saturday.

1]; } ?>