April 26, 2024, 08:38:11 PM

Author Topic: Oil slick off the coast of Louisiana  (Read 10521 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Oil slick off the coast of Louisiana
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »
I really like Spike, but you can't force Barak to be what he is not. I am sure he is pissed and usin all the resources and advice that is available. If another oil company of country had a solution to this accident, don't you think they would have offered it. If anyone of them can go 5000 ft and fixed it, they will be an isntant hero.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2010, 05:31:30 PM »
T. Boone Pickens on Larry King now basically saying none of this is going to work. No Top Kill, No Junk Shot. He might just be doing the ornery old man thing though.  He say if anything work is just luck.  the relief well is the answer. So we will be here another 38 days...

I heard from a BP employee that BP always knew the relief well was the answer....everything else was just PR gimmickry.....

Exactly. But the time needed for the relief well to be drilled woulda be time wasting and yuh woulda hear more noise. So...dey just do what they could trying to mitigate. It have no way they could stop that without a relief well. They could try and reduce the flow as much as possible..and risk the pressure forcing back the fluid back into the formation and fracturing somewhere else and thus causing further problems. So....sadly it hadda go so.
they have not started the relief well as yet??
what wrong with BP man
I thought they stared one right after the accident
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »
T. Boone Pickens on Larry King now basically saying none of this is going to work. No Top Kill, No Junk Shot. He might just be doing the ornery old man thing though.  He say if anything work is just luck.  the relief well is the answer. So we will be here another 38 days...

I heard from a BP employee that BP always knew the relief well was the answer....everything else was just PR gimmickry.....

Exactly. But the time needed for the relief well to be drilled woulda be time wasting and yuh woulda hear more noise. So...dey just do what they could trying to mitigate. It have no way they could stop that without a relief well. They could try and reduce the flow as much as possible..and risk the pressure forcing back the fluid back into the formation and fracturing somewhere else and thus causing further problems. So....sadly it hadda go so.
what wrong with BP man

They did start one after the accident. Allyuh feel drilling...especially at that depth is a quick ting. Depending on the depth it could take anywhere from 30 to 60 days to drill and complete a well. And BP done pelt out 1.2 Billion on de clean up from this already..and it was already behind schedule. So it eh have no two ways about them just plugging it and walking away sadly. Dey hadda get someting from dis. De water go be in a state too...so it eh easy. Especially since it deviated.

I go check and see if i get some info as to how long again the relief well has.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »

what wrong with BP man

They did start one after the accident. Allyuh feel drilling...especially at that depth is a quick ting. Depending on the depth it could take anywhere from 30 to 60 days to drill and complete a well. And BP done pelt out 1.2 Billion on de clean up from this already..and it was already behind schedule. So it eh have no two ways about them just plugging it and walking away sadly. Dey hadda get someting from dis. De water go be in a state too...so it eh easy. Especially since it deviated.

man all they had to do was pull in a drilling ship and utilise some directional drilling and boom they done
well is easy for me to say ;D
I have a pardna who was a captain on one and from what he was telling me it is real easy compared to a platform

serious: if it is as you say that relief well musbe nearly done......arm, it go take till august

here is the latest
The statement said work on the first relief well, which started on May 2, was continuing and it had reached a depth of 12,090 feet, BP said.

The second relief well, which started on May 16, had reached 8,576 feet before drilling was temporarily suspended on May 26, but it has now resumed. Both wells are still estimated to take around three months to complete from commencement of drilling, BP said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37432881/ns/gulf_oil_spill/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:03:24 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2010, 06:03:17 PM »

what wrong with BP man

man all they had to do was pull in a drilling ship and utilise some directional drilling and boom they done
well is easy for me to say ;D
I have a pardna who was a captain on one and from what he was telling me it is real easy compared to a platform

serious: if it is as you say that relief well musbe nearly done

Dahs essentially it in theory. But think of this. The further away the drill ship is...they more deviated the well would need to be..hence the longer it would take. Imagine the state of de water in the immediate vicinity of the accident. I eh have much info yet from wha i reading on the relief well..but...while i'm not an industry professional....(yet..i just a student).....I just reasoning it from what i know.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 06:08:26 PM »
yeah Bourbon, it is deeper than I was hoping for
see my edited  ;) post above
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »
All them people who saying it easy, do this and do that,  should step forward. Everybody, oil companies, BP, Fed and politicians out of their depth on this incident. They can blame Obama all they want, that issue will not go away until the relief wells are drilled. And the US will be stock with BP for a very long time. Because BP will have to pay for the clean-up, while the US gov't figuring out how to prosecute the person or persons responsible. It is a fine mess.

I want to see how the Republicans will deal with prosecution, regualtions and oil drilling. Because they are the ones who feels that the federal gov't should not be in this type of business. Well that is exactly what they get. They feds have no way of stopping the oil flow.They don't have the equipment or know-how. They have to depend on BP.  What an irony!!!!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2010, 06:07:46 AM »
T-Boons Pickens was on Larry King last night.  He said that the relief wells are the only option for trying to stop this and there's NO guarantee it will work.  He said there was a spill in Mexico some time ago and it took THREE relief wells to contain it AND that was in 200 feet of water!!! :o :o  (ent this spill in 5000 ft of water??)

He also said we will be talking about this for many, many months to come so brace we self.
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

truetrini

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2010, 06:54:53 AM »
All them people who saying it easy, do this and do that,  should step forward. Everybody, oil companies, BP, Fed and politicians out of their depth on this incident. They can blame Obama all they want, that issue will not go away until the relief wells are drilled. And the US will be stock with BP for a very long time. Because BP will have to pay for the clean-up, while the US gov't figuring out how to prosecute the person or persons responsible. It is a fine mess.

I want to see how the Republicans will deal with prosecution, regualtions and oil drilling. Because they are the ones who feels that the federal gov't should not be in this type of business. Well that is exactly what they get. They feds have no way of stopping the oil flow.They don't have the equipment or know-how. They have to depend on BP.  What an irony!!!!!

republicans?  steups, Dems too, Obama appointed a man that so friendly to the oil industry it eh funny.  And his administration gave out permits to drill off shore even 2 to BP while this shit was going on.

When it comes to big money, rep and Dems is de same f**king ting...is jes degrees fella.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
It eh easy to get somebody with the required experience to regulate the industry that isnt friendly to the industry yuh know. To get that degree of experience.....yuh hadda be in it.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2010, 11:26:32 AM »
from community organizer, to harvard law professor, to ..... "ass-kicker" ??? :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KAdhQoIIhDk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KAdhQoIIhDk</a>

spike, whatcha do here? not to analyze a soundbite too much, but the words "potential crisis" say alot about how slow de wheels does turn with dese "big picture" fellas.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:38:55 AM by ribbit »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »
i hearing on CNN, BP could be heading to bankruptcy.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »

They discussed that very thing last week on MSNBC.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2010, 07:30:47 PM »

Girl you know digital on flow doh have MSNBC , stueps  :(
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »

We'll see how that petition goes... especially since they found $50 million to fund a bone-headed PR campaign this past week.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2010, 10:10:59 AM »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2010, 10:53:42 AM »
If that illustration is even remotely close to scale...dais REAL fackin oil to come

and if this fellah even remotely right...lawd/allah/buddah/whoever help we.
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1097505/pg1
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lylfya6ctSc&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Lylfya6ctSc&amp;feature=related</a>

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2010, 09:10:06 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gh76oepKFc8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Gh76oepKFc8</a>

why americans need to hear military rhetoric?

"Battle" "War" "Assault" "Siege"

is a damn oil spill.

and he end with a prayer. from de fella complain americans clinging to guns and religion.

cheap theatrics aside, like BP get stuck with alimony?! let see how this takes.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2010, 08:02:44 AM »
$20 Billion at least from BP - a number pulled from the company's profitability rather than an estimate of the damage. BP is too big to fail.

ha ha - de nobel prize president indeed, picking de future fall guys (chu, national commission).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/50GAACuKEQs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/50GAACuKEQs</a>

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
critics saying this ban worse than the oil spill - a big chunk of economic activity in the gulf tied to off shore oil so they want to keep pumping regardless. even de big nobel-prize-winning panel of academics dey assemble distancing demselves from a moratorium.

==

Obama admin loses bid to keep oil drilling ban

by Jeremy Pelofsky and Ayesha Rascoe

(Reuters) - The Obama administration suffered a setback on Thursday in its efforts to keep its six-month ban on new deepwater drilling after the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

After overturning the ban this week, a federal judge in New Orleans rejected an administration request to put his decision on hold while the government appeals it.

The government, which can still ask an appeals court to stay Judge Martin Feldman's decision, is revising the ban to make it more flexible and possibly open some areas to drilling.

The judge's ruling was more unwelcome news for the administration, which has been on the defensive over what critics call a slow and ineffective response to the 66-day-old spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

A Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found half of those surveyed disapproved of President Barack Obama's handling of the spill. Overall his approval rating stood at 45 percent. For the first time in the survey, more people, or 48 percent, said they disapproved of his job performance. [nN23260493]

Another poll by the Pew Research Center found Obama's approval little changed at 48 percent compared to 49 percent in January 2010.

In Washington, the administration faced pressure from some Republican lawmakers to ease offshore drilling restrictions, imposed after a well owned by energy giant BP ruptured on April 20, spewing a torrent of oil into the sea.

At a Senate energy committee hearing, Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski said she was worried the owners of offshore rigs that have been idled by the moratorium will take their business out of the United States.

"We're starting to see what I'm calling this flight of investment from the Gulf," Murkowski told a hearing attended by Interior Secretary Ken Salazar.

Oil services companies, who say the ban is too far-reaching and will lead to major layoffs, went to court this week to overturn the ban, leading to Feldman's ruling.

Salazar told the hearing he was aware of the moratorium's impact on the Gulf Coast economy, but it was necessary "until we get to a level where we can provide a sense of safety to the American people that drilling can in fact continue."

BP said on Thursday its oil-capture systems at the leak collected or burned off 16,830 barrels of oil on Wednesday, a 38 percent drop from its record rate of 27,100 on Tuesday due to a 10-hour shutdown of one of the systems.

The shutdown happened when an underwater robot apparently hit a containment cap atop failed blowout preventer equipment that channels oil to a drillship a mile up on the water's surface, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

BP removed the cap Wednesday morning to assess its condition, then replaced it about 10 hours later. In the interim, crude gushed unchecked from the leak site.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »
THE LEAKING HAS STOPPED

BP: No oil leaking into Gulf from busted well

NEW ORLEANS – A tightly fitted cap was successfully keeping oil from gushing into the Gulf of Mexico for the first time in three months, BP said Thursday. The victory — long awaited by weary residents along the coast — is the most significant milestone yet in BP's effort to control one of the worst environmental disasters in U.S. history.

The news elicited joy mixed with skepticism from wary Gulf Coast residents following months of false starts, setbacks and failed attempts. Alabama Gov. Bob Riley's face lit up when he heard the oil flow had stopped.

"That's great. I think a lot of prayers were answered today," said Riley.

The stoppage came 85 days, 16 hours and 25 minutes after the first report April 20 of an explosion on the BP-leased Deepwater Horizon oil rig that killed 11 workers and triggered the spill.

"Finally!" said Renee Brown, a 35-year-old middle school guidance counselor visiting Pensacola Beach, Fla., from London, Ky."Honestly, I'm surprised that they haven't been able to do something sooner, though."

Kent Wells, a BP PLC vice president, said at a news briefing that oil stopped flowing into the water at 2:25 p.m. CDT after engineers gradually dialed down the amount of crude escaping through the last of three valves in the 75-ton cap.

"I am very pleased that there's no oil going into the Gulf of Mexico. In fact, I'm really excited there's no oil going into the Gulf of Mexico," Wells said.

Now begins a waiting period to see if the cap can hold the oil without blowing a new leak in the well. Engineers will monitor pressure readings incrementally for up to 48 hours before reopening the cap while they decide what to do.

"For the people living on the Gulf, I'm certainly not going to guess their emotions," Wells said. "I hope they're encouraged there's no oil going into the Gulf of Mexico. But we have to be careful. Depending on what the test shows us, we may need to open this well back up."

Though not a permanent fix, the solution has been the only one that has worked to stem the flow of oil since April. BP is drilling two relief wells so it can pump mud and cement into the leaking well in hopes of plugging it for good by mid-August.

BP has struggled to contain the spill and had so far been successful only in reducing the flow, not stopping it. The company removed an old, leaky cap and installed the new one Monday.

Between 93.5 million and 184.3 million have already spilled into the Gulf, according to federal estimates.

For some, it was hard to believe the flow had really stopped.

"Completely?" asked Michelle Blanchard, the wife of a shrimper in Chauvin, La., when she heard about the oil stopping from an AP reporter. "Come on," she said in disbelief.

"It's a good thing it stopped. I'm excited," she said.

Steve Shepard, Gulf Coast chair of the Mississippi Chapter of the Sierra Club, said he's still skeptical about the news.

"I think it's a little premature to say it's definitely over. They've gotten our hopes up so many times before that in my mind I don't think it's going to be over until Christmas."

Nine-year-old Lena Durden threw up her hands in jubilation when her mother told her the oil was stopped.

"God, that's wonderful," said Yvonne Durden, a Mobile-area native who now lives in Seattle and brought her daughter to the coast for a visit. "When came here so she could swim in the water and see it in case it's not here next time."

Chris Roberts, a councilman from coastal Jefferson Parish welcomed the news.

"Everyone has waited on edge for this day to come," said Roberts, whose district includes the devastated tourist town of Grand Isle. "There is a lot of oil remaining. Our focus will be to clean up the impacted areas and make the many impacted industries whole as quickly as possible."

Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the Obama administration's point man on the disaster, said at a briefing it's not clear yet whether the cap, which was mounted on the well Monday, will ultimately be used to shut in the oil or to channel it through pipes to collection ships overhead.

Randall Luthi, president of the Washington, D.C.-based National Ocean Industries Association, a national trade group representing the offshore petroleum industry, said it gives everyone a chance to focus on how to clean up the spill.

"This is by far the best news we've heard in 86 days. You can bet that industry officials and their families are taking a big sigh here. We hope this is a reliable fix to the immediate flow of oil until the relief wells are completed."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100715/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill
Youtube Channel

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2010, 07:47:02 AM »
86 days - not bad.  BP deserve a few :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2010, 03:02:24 PM »

nah man, they evil and do that to spite Obama  :devil:

All jokes aside, I thought the relief wells would have been the only solution. The idea came through the clearing house set up by the incompetent gov't. The live video feed real boring now though.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
BP oil spill: 'Mystery plumber' may be brains behind containment cap

An anonymous plumber provided sketches of a flange and seal design six weeks ago that is almost identical to the containment cap lowered onto the Macondo well in the Gulf of Mexico. It's the latest effort to stop the BP oil spill.

By Patrik Jonsson, Staff writer / July 15, 2010
http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2010/0715/BP-oil-spill-Mystery-plumber-may-be-brains-behind-containment-cap

"Joe the Plumber" became a household name in 2008, but will anyone ever know the identity of the plumber who may have brought BP to the brink of stopping the oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico.

Six weeks ago, Robert Bea, an engineering professor at the University of California, Berkeley, received a late-night call from an apologetic "mystery plumber." The caller said he had a sketch for how to solve the problem at the bottom of the Gulf. It was a design for a containment cap that would fit snugly over the top of the failed blowout preventer at the heart of the Gulf oil spill.

Professor Bea, a former Shell executive and well-regarded researcher, thought the idea looked good and sent the sketches directly to the US Coast Guard and to a clearinghouse set up to glean ideas from outside sources for how to cap the stubborn Macondo well.

When Bea saw the design of the containment cap lowered onto the well last week, he marveled at its similarity to the sketches from the late-night caller, whose humble refusal to give his name at the time nearly brought Bea to tears.

"The idea was using the top flange on the blowout preventer as an attachment point and then employing an internal seal against that flange surface," says Bea. "You can kind of see how a plumber thinks this way. That's how they have to plumb homes for sewage."

BP has received 300,000 ideas from around the world for how to cap the well after decades-old methods failed. Everyone from amateur inventors to engineers, Hollywood stars to hucksters, have swamped the unified command with ideas.

BP executive Doug Suttles says the new containment cap design came from weeks of trial and error. "We've been adding and trying new things constantly," Mr. Suttles said last week.

The design was originally intended to increase BP's ability to siphon oil from the well to containment ships on the surface. But in the past two weeks, it became clear to the company that the design, if it passed certain well integrity tests, could also be used to stop the flow altogether. If successful, the containment structure will be a turning point in the Gulf oil spill drama.

BP spokesman Mark Salt says, "There's no way of finding out at the moment" whether Bea's forwarded suggestion from the self-described "lowly plumber" made it into the design. "There's also a good chance that this was already being designed by the time this [tip] came in."

On the other hand, Mr. Salt adds, "I'm sure we've used bits and pieces of suggestions [from the outside] and have picked things out that could be used going forward."

As part of the response, the BP oil spill unified command has set up a triage of more than 30 technical personnel who put suggestions into three buckets: not possible; already considered; or feasible. According to the website, there are about 100 ideas from the outside being considered as ways to help stem the wellhead flow.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2010, 05:49:01 PM »

nah man, they evil and do that to spite Obama  :devil:

All jokes aside, I thought the relief wells would have been the only solution. The idea came through the clearing house set up by the incompetent gov't. The live video feed real boring now though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/17/AR2010071702793.html
Actually de relief wells is de only permanent solution. Eventually...the pressure build up could force off the cap..or force it back underground and it could fracture and blow out somewhere else. Is a relief that it on doh.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:55:05 PM by Bourbon »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2010, 06:26:08 PM »
TT in the list of world largest oil spills.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10860238

1]; } ?>