April 19, 2024, 05:05:56 PM

Author Topic: Keon Daniel to PR Islanders  (Read 10141 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keon Daniel to PR Islanders
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
Intru... what is the degree of penetration of the sport among the population... how popular is football/futbol among the youth in PR?  What is support like in the stands among the professional teams?

Maybe like 15% to 20% of the population follow the sport, its the 4 or 5 most popular sport on the Island, and I would say youth wise I put it in the top 3 being played. Younger generation are following it more than the older ones.

Islanders could draw anywhere between 1,500 to 6,000 at regular season matches, River Plate Ponce avgs anywhere between 500 to 3,000 per match, Sevilla Juncos in the 1k area, Bayamon FC in the mid hundreds(they are viewed as the Islanders B squad), after that the other teams are bearly supported. The local pro league only has 3 teams outside the metro area, and they are the ones that draw better because they dont have to compete with the Islanders.

Thanks for the info... sounds like the sport is facing similar challenges in PR as it is in TnT.  It is a bit more established in TnT of course and support is more entrenched... but could (should) be so much better still.

Offline Intru

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »
Yeah pretty mutch and then you got the big egos trying to control everything the local pro-league separated this year so theres two leagues going to play, Bayamon FC is going to lose alot of support, and some players because the Islanders are planing to field a B team again. But I guess its good because know there a solid link between academy and Islanders main squad.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:23:56 PM by Intru »

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »
Step down.
:rotfl:

Ah mean... yuh was joking, right?

Not really. Given his talent and potential, the best his agent could find was the American A-League? Really?
At the Professional level OUTSIDE T&T (and in SOME cases INSIDE too), it's NOT only about ABILITY Supporter. ATTITUDE and WORK ETHIC count for a lot, BOTH characteristics Daniel has been criticized for in the past. So Puerto Rico must be the best his agent could do, but as other posters have said, the man will now be playing on a higher profile team and IF he's as good as some say he is, and realises his FULL potential, he'll move on and UP to  a higher level...if not, it's Silvio Spann and Denzil Theobald all over again...men who many experts THOUGHT would go on to GREAT things, but never did.

This is true, but then that shows you that foreign clubs are on to the fact that most of our players have a deserving reputation for poor professionalism.  :-[
Hart for president

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »
“I am walking into this opportunity prepared to work hard every day to give my best for PR Islanders.”

I really hope so Schilla.  I is one a yuh biggest supporters but yuh been doin tata dis past rongs.  Dat cyah continue.  Hopefully it not too late fuh yuh but I fear dat it is already too late.  Too much habits ingrained already.

But I would love fuh you to prove me wrong.  No question yuh have de talent.  Do you have the discipline and work ethic to succeed?  Only you can show dat. 

Good luck and stay healthy.

Thanks Flex fuh de lil article.  :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 07:13:29 AM »
Daniel receives work permit for Islanders move

Trinidad and Tobago international Keon Daniel will represent USL club Puerto Rico Islanders this season after receiving his work permit this week.

Caledonia AIA of Morvant/Laventille and Puerto Rico Islanders FC sealed an agreement last month transferring the player from the TT Pro League to the United Soccer League (USL).

However, Daniel was only granted his work permit this week and will join fellow nationals Kendall Jagdeosingh, Osei Telesford, Kevon Villaroel and former W Connection player Jonathon Frias of the Dominican Republic for the 2010 USL season which commenced last month.

After earning his 38th cap for his country against Chile earlier last week, Daniel is enthusiastic about starting the season with his new club.

“I am grateful for the opportunity that I had with Caledonia, I cannot begin to tell you how much I have learnt from Coach Jamaal Shabaaz and his staff during my time at the club,” said the Tobago born Bertille St. Clair Coaching School graduate, and former United Petrotrin player.

“All I can really say is that I am thankful for my time there because it provided the foundation for me to embrace this new opportunity, and I would like to wish them (Caledonia AIA) all the best for the current TT Pro League season.”

Last season the PR Islanders finished third in the USL under the guidance of Coach Colin Clark.

“I’m looking forward to working with Coach Clark and helping the Islanders improve on that position this season. I am excited for the opportunity to help my new club compete for the CONCACF Champions League (CCL) championship. Having an opportunity to play CCL football was a major influence in my decision to join the club.

“I am walking into this opportunity prepared to work hard every day and to give my best for Puerto Rico Islanders,” ended Daniel.

ttproleague

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
Who'da thought you need work permit to kick ball in Boricua?

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »
Very happy for Daniel. Now get some exposure, develop yuhself and .............well ........ just grow however you can bredda, even if it means from a non-football perspective. Find some more mentors, learn an extra language, make a few dullahs and save some too eh and figure out a way to escape the inevitable destiny of poverty, gangs, doy doy and death.

Now it doh matter anymore if anybody here calling you shittong, slow, lazy, no-ambition and disrespectful on this forum as you are now one of the crabs who has escaped out of de barrel and thus the negativity will somehow stop just like that. What a ting.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:05:59 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »
Too bad Islanders done play dey game in Montreal fuh dis season. Ah coulda well go and see de man play.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 02:16:14 AM »
How much did they pay for his contract?

These things are always such a secret in TT.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 03:40:08 AM »
Them ruled by the US

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
US Territory
TnT Patriot

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 11:12:53 AM »
Too bad Islanders done play dey game in Montreal fuh dis season. Ah coulda well go and see de man play.
Impact have dem 1st June, since yuh sure to go now, we expecting some kinda game report   ;D

just teasing....yuh going the AC milan game June'02 - , or yuh holding out for Antigua(The Rematch) in september
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:17:21 AM by maxg »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »
Them ruled by the US

That's not saying a whole lot.

US Territory

So is Guam and the USVI... but you don't need US work permits to work there.  These territories are self-governing and not automatically subject to the same administrative regulations as the US states.  Heck they can't even vote for President or Congressional representatives.  They don't even have to pay taxes like us here in the US.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 04:32:46 AM »
Impact have dem 1st June, since yuh sure to go now, we expecting some kinda game report   ;D

just teasing....yuh going the AC milan game June'02 - , or yuh holding out for Antigua(The Rematch) in september
I eh know about AC Milan. Dey calling big money to go and see dat game in the Big O. And I eh sure if ah willing to put out big money to see some no-name fellas in a famous shirt playing on fake grass in a bad stadium. The Antigua game ah done have mih tickets for so ah might check it out if I eh go New York Labour Day weekend.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »

Why not? Why the 'surprise'?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »

Why not? Why the 'surprise'?

It's a departure from the norm...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 11:20:31 AM »
How much did they pay for his contract?

These things are always such a secret in TT.

VB

Just what someone was saying ..we real professional ...man celebrating a contract not knowing the details of the contract. Anyone can say what those are ? or it really does not matter ? Big news ..man going to a team in Puerto Rico .... what he is expected to earn is not important ...well yes ..we did come over to the west indies  for free ...it still does not matter if we labour for free ....we really eh arrive as yet !

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »
Sunday September 5th booked in meh calendar

Puerto Rico Islanders comin to Vancouver to play the Whitecaps

Hope Keon behave heself, train proper, play to he potential and in de team on dat day.  Would be great to see him in action LIVE once again.

Hope he doh end up like Juggie when he was in Van City

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 02:18:44 PM »
So what Juggie up to in trute.

Sad that a generation from now, nobody will really know who he is.

We really had some stars in the 90s yes.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »

VB

I really doh know.

Ask Tallman to post de goal he score in de Shell Cup Final in front of Pele in Cayman Islands

Possibly the best ever goal scored by a T&T player in a competition match (not a friendly or exhibition).

Offline Intru

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 08:35:04 AM »
Them ruled by the US

That's not saying a whole lot.

US Territory

So is Guam and the USVI... but you don't need US work permits to work there.  These territories are self-governing and not automatically subject to the same administrative regulations as the US states.  Heck they can't even vote for President or Congressional representatives.  They don't even have to pay taxes like us here in the US.

Its complicated, but all US territories are under the jurisdiction of the US Congress, we are subjected to Federal Law, and its my understanding that PR has always been treated as part of the US with regards of work visa, passports, etc. Also all territories have a congress representative they just cant vote on anything.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »
Its complicated, but all US territories are under the jurisdiction of the US Congress, we are subjected to Federal Law, and its my understanding that PR has always been treated as part of the US with regards of work visa, passports, etc. Also all territories have a congress representative they just cant vote on anything.

Federal law isn't the same as Administrative regulations... the laws come from Congress, so yes you are subject to them.  Administrative regulations (such as work permit requirements, food labeling standards etc.) are Agency promulgated rules... agencies such as the FDA, IRS, ICE (former INS) etc.  Even so, you're not subject to all federal laws... for instance, you guys don't have to pay taxes to the federal government.

As for Congress... I know you guys have what's called a "shadow representative"... even DC has the same, but as I said, you cannot vote in federal elections.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keon Daniel earns a draw for Puerto Rico Islanders
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2010, 07:05:01 AM »
Austin grabs tie against Puerto Rico
austinaztex.com

Keon Daniel saved the Puerto Rico Islanders from their early mistake when his equalizer proved to be enough to earn the Islanders a 1-1 tie against the league-leading Austin Aztex Saturday night at House Park.

Puerto Rico defender Richard Martinez put the Aztex ahead early when his header sailed over Islanders’ goalkeeper William Gaudette in the first minute.

Martinez looked to head the ball safely into the hands of Gaudette but when he put too much power on the pass, it sailed up and over the hands of Gaudette and into the back of the net for Aztex opening score.

The Islanders seemed likely to score another goal for Austin when Aztex forward Eddie Johnson pressured a high cross at the top of the Islanders’ box. Puerto Rico’s defender won the hard challenge but nearly put the ball over Gaudette again. Fortunately for Puerto Rico, Gaudette was able to recover and grab hold of the ball before it reached the goal line.

Austin would provide a chance of their own in the 34th minute when Aztex midfielder Yordany Alvarez played a ball that split the Islanders’ back line for forward Maxwell Griffin to run onto. Griffin got a hold of the ball but was unsuccessful in his ensuing breakaway attempt as Gaudette was able to get his body in front of the ball to deflect it away.

Griffin’s shot just after halftime was deflected by Gaudette and almost allowed a hustling Eddie Johnson to get a shot off himself.

Griffin got a gift in the 56th minute when Gaudette mishit a goal kick, which landed right at the foot of Griffin near midfield. Griffin started off toward the goal, but was caught from behind on a sliding tackle by an Islander defender.

Johnson nearly put a second tally on the board for the Aztex when his powering shot was pushed away by Gaudette. Aztex captain Kevin Sakuda struck a 60-yard ball behind the Islanders’ backline for Johnson to run onto. When Johnson got into the box he was able to spin around and split a couple defenders before getting his shot off.

Keon Daniel earned the equalizer in the 75th minute when he hit a laser from just outside of the Aztex goal box. The left-footed strike left Aztex goal keeper Miguel Gallardo with little chance to make a save.

A last ditch effort by the Aztex was thwarted by Gaudette after he came out and collected a cross from Aztex midfielder Lawrence Olum in the waning moments of the game.

The Aztex hit the road next week when they take on the Rochester Rhinos on July 9 at 6:30 p.m. A live broadcast of the game will be available on www.austinaztex.com. The next Aztex home game takes place at 7:30 p.m. at House Park on July 17 when Austin takes on AC St. Louis.

Game Stats:
AUS: Miguel Gallardo, Kevin Sakuda, Yohance Marshall, Jay Needham, Kieron Bernard (Joey Worthen 77’); Peri Marosevic (Michael Callahan 66’), Lawrence Olum, Yordany Alvarez, Jamie Watson; Maxwell Griffin, Eddie Johnson

Substitutes Not Used: Sean Kelley, Wes Allen, Sam Brill, Lance Watson, Ronald Caicedo

PUE: William Gaudette ; Scott Jones, Richard Martinez, Marco Velez (Logan Emory 75’), David Horst; Osei Telesford (Junior Sandoval 87’), Keon Daniel (Kendall Jagdeosingh 85’), Sandy Gbandi; Josh Hansen (Jonathan Fana 46’), Nick Addlery, David Foley (Kevon Villaroel 83')

Substitutes Not Used: Alexis Rivera, Cody Laurendi

Goals:
AUS: Puerto Rico, 1st minute (Own Goal)
PUE: Daniel 75'

Shots:
AUS: 14
PUE: 11

Fouls:
AUS:12
PUE: 7

Corners:
AUS: 2
PUE: 6

Misconduct:
AUS:
PUE: Telesford (Yellow) 59’, Jones (Yellow 79’)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2010, 07:13:21 AM »
stephan Campbell with the Austin aztex  :applause: :applause:

http://www.austinaztex.com/team/roster/index.html?player_id=49

Position: Midfielder
Date of Birth: 08/26/1990
Height: 6' 0"   Weight: 170 lbs
Pro Experience: United Petrotrin
College Experience: Presentation College San–Fernando
Resides: Trinidad and Tobago

Biography:

Stephan Campbell has spent time playing for the Trinidad and Tobago U-20 National Team, as well as his club United Petrotrin, where he scored three goals a season ago.

Campbell most notably played for the Trinidad & Tobago U17 squad in South Korea during the 2007 U17 World Cup, where Campbell accounted for his country's lone goal. Most recently, he scored a goal fo rthe U23 squad in a 5-2 win over Bermuda in December.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »

VB

I really doh know.

Ask Tallman to post de goal he score in de Shell Cup Final in front of Pele in Cayman Islands

Possibly the best ever goal scored by a T&T player in a competition match (not a friendly or exhibition).

Palos after Juggie score that goal he came to Toronto to play for the Blizzards. He was a real regular at the clubs on Richmond street. He seemed to more into lime than anything else.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2010, 11:29:50 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-CN5jASklVM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-CN5jASklVM</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2010, 07:15:36 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zdQzvOPiHA0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zdQzvOPiHA0</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »
Puerto Rico Islanders Defeat Baltimore 2-0.

BALTIMORE, MD - The Puerto Rico Islanders defeated Baltimore 2-0 at Crystal Palace with a goal by rookie defender Richard Martinez. It was Martinez' first goal as an Islander and his first time as a professional player.

The second goal of the match was a goal by Baltimore defender Andrew Marshall in the 34th minute of the first half when he tried unsuccessfully to divert a shot off the head of the Islanders player Keon Daniel.

With the victory, the Puerto Rico Islanders have amassed 17 points in 13 games and moved within three points of third place in the Conference of Major League USL Division 2 of the Federation of American Soccer (D-2) , this despite having played two fewer games than their third place opponents.

The match saw the debut of Jonathan Fana Frias who is on loan from W Connection and Keon Daniel. Fana is a talented 23-year old Dominican attacker who has played for the Dominican National Team and W Connection of Trinidad. Daniel, a 23-year old midfielder, is a native of Trinidad and Tobago and is a member of the Trinidad national team.

Both players were part of an effective Islanders attack with teammates David Foley and Nicholas Addlery.

The next match for the Islanders is on Sunday, July 11 at 7:00 pm when they meet the Carolina Rail Hawks at the Estadio Juan Ramon Loubriel, in Bayamon, Puerto Rico.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:37:41 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2010, 11:13:53 AM »
whos keon's agent? bc i also feel jagdeosingh should be playing at a higher level as well. the islanders may be a good step but not a good step towards getting into europe.

1]; } ?>