April 26, 2024, 06:13:50 PM

Author Topic: Delta flies out  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Delta flies out
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:55:38 AM »
Delta flies out
By Curtis Rampersad (T&T Express)

Delta, the world’s biggest airline, is closing its doors in Trinidad and Tobago.

Effective June 1, Delta Airlines will suspend operations in the country ’indefinitely’, the airline said.

The airline, which has an office in Port of Spain and flight operations at Piarco, blamed the state of the economy for its departure.

’The challenges of the current economy have forced us to make this very difficult decision,’ Delta said in an e-mailed statement to travel agents and partners.

Delta operates a service out of Piarco to New York City, USA.

It commenced operations in Trinidad three years ago.

Based on the needs of neighbouring Caribbean markets, the airline said it will be using its service to strengthen other markets that have a more urgent need for flights to and from their countries.

Delta also operates in Barbados, Grenada, Guyana and St Lucia.

It will start a service from New York to Grenada on June 5 at the request of the Grenada government, the Delta statement said.

’We have increased flights to and from Montego Bay, Jamaica, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, St Lucia and other islands within the region. We will continue to upgrade our services to and from Guyana to New York,’ it added.

The airline noted that it would continue to monitor ’any future need for the Trinidad and Tobago market’, and staff will remain focused on operations in Guyana and the Caribbean.

It did not say how staff members would be affected in Trinidad.

Internationally Delta serves more than 160 million customers each year, offering flights to 350 destinations on six continents, its website said.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Delta flies out
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:58:41 AM »
Whhhaaatttt??!!....but I planning to use them to go Atlanta later this year!!.... :'( :'(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:06:03 AM »
Whhhaaatttt??!!....but I planning to use them to go Atlanta later this year!!.... :'( :'(

I guess you will be using Continental.... ;)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 05:18:13 AM »
Not sure how the numbers were, but they could have continued the Atlanta 3 times a week. JFk is always a hard route in this country when you competing with Caribbean Airlines. American stopped JFK POS a while ago. Not sure why the Atlanta needs to stop.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:09:01 AM »

My bff will not b a happy camper.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:12:55 AM »

Doh study it. Let David Muhammad handle yuh travel plans.  :devil:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 08:20:05 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »

flawless :applause:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
well now mih frequent flier miles useless for going trinidad.

scheups.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:31 AM »

Look Tallman, serious thing for people to cry for you taking to make joke..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »
Grenada gave them a whole slew of concessions, so they opted out of T&T for Grenada instead.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 01:05:34 PM »
Grenada gave them a whole slew of concessions, so they opted out of T&T for Grenada instead.

DUMB move. The better route for them to service would have been Grenada - Trinidad. More profitable.  8)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
well now mih frequent flier miles useless for going trinidad.

scheups.
No sweat, yuh could fly to badoes stay ah two days and party while enjoying ah few crystal clear blue water sea baths, and hop on ah caribbean air to trini.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:32:08 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 08:57:36 PM »

Look Tallman, serious thing for people to cry for you taking to make joke..... ;D

As meh mudder used 2 say what is joke 4 school chirren is death 4 crapaud.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 06:14:20 AM »
in all seriousness, something always went rong with that JFK-POS route. flight late, flight cancel, flight overbook, lost luggage, no food on plane, add that the the worst terminal in JFK (terminal 3) they was in for some eventual licks. .
The only thing they had going fuh dem was on an off peak period, they had some extremely low fares that nobody could'nt beat. but you pay for your service.

All that means is that caribbean airlines (who seems to be getting their act together lately, compared to bwee) have some fare increases comin..no competition.

book early...
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »
in all seriousness, something always went rong with that JFK-POS route. flight late, flight cancel, flight overbook, lost luggage, no food on plane, add that the the worst terminal in JFK (terminal 3) they was in for some eventual licks. .
The only thing they had going fuh dem was on an off peak period, they had some extremely low fares that nobody could'nt beat. but you pay for your service.

All that means is that caribbean airlines (who seems to be getting their act together lately, compared to bwee) have some fare increases comin..no competition.

book early...
Watch out CAL ! here comes jetblue to the rescue!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 05:28:43 PM »
Delta over American any day any time.  American always have mechanical problems always have yuh sitting on de plane  steups  dat is ah shit airlines

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »
Delta over American any day any time.  American always have mechanical problems always have yuh sitting on de plane  steups  dat is ah shit airlines
You ain't lying!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 04:10:34 AM »
Delta made lots of money to Trinidad but only certain season, (Christmas) other than that they didn't do that well... I think the landing rights was a bit to high and it affected their profits.

Grenada government on the other hand opened up the market to Delta at a cheaper cost.

I remember for 2009 Christmas Delta had 3 daily flights to Trinidad..... 2 from JFK and 1 from Atlanta...

Jet Blue may pick up the POS route....
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »
Unfortunate to hear, the mainstream US carriers have a purpose in travelling to the midwest and west coast. I really dont like to switch airlines on layovers now its just American and Continental. AA lik shakey with delays and Continental is long layovers going through houston.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 05:39:26 AM »
Jet Blue stocks has taken a nose dive in the last few years... I doubt they will become a carrier service to TnT.

Continental only point of entry is Houston but becoming a presidential member alleviates the wait time, since they are my preferred choice carrier to TnT... I always reserve a 2 days of travel with them (back and forth)  :beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »
Continental fly from New Jersey to T&T also....
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 09:23:03 AM »
Continental fly from New Jersey to T&T also....

I flew on an overnight from Newark earlier this year... was pleasant...! Usually is Regan to GBI/Newark to POS and POS to GBI to Regan....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 04:39:43 AM »
I heard a rumor that Jet Blue will be flying into T&T from May 15th.

Another rumor, the Grenada GOV promised Delta freight and mail where Delta will be the main carrier off so they pulled out of T&T and decided to take the Grenada route as mail and freight is more profitable.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 05:38:55 AM »

Another rumor, the Grenada GOV promised Delta freight and mail where Delta will be the main carrier off so they pulled out of T&T and decided to take the Grenada route as mail and freight is more profitable.

If Jet Blue start flying to trini i wonder if it will be out of Fort Lauderdale or Orlando?

Also, its interesting to note that the fleet of Jet Blue is the Airbus A320. I know that when an airline decides on a destination, part of its evaluation is the level of certified mechanical personnel available to service the aircraft in any emergency. Caribbean Airlines has certified Boeing technicians so that if Continental, American Airlines, Copa or British Airways need repair, they can get local assistance in any event.

The economies of a single type fleet was one of the contributing reasons why Caribbean Airlines stopped the London route as they needed to certify staff on the Airbus 340 was very costly. It also determines what make of aircraft airlines use on different routes.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 06:03:23 PM »

If Jet Blue start flying to trini i wonder if it will be out of Fort Lauderdale or Orlando?

Also, its interesting to note that the fleet of Jet Blue is the Airbus A320. I know that when an airline decides on a destination, part of its evaluation is the level of certified mechanical personnel available to service the aircraft in any emergency. Caribbean Airlines has certified Boeing technicians so that if Continental, American Airlines, Copa or British Airways need repair, they can get local assistance in any event.

The economies of a single type fleet was one of the contributing reasons why Caribbean Airlines stopped the London route as they needed to certify staff on the Airbus 340 was very costly. It also determines what make of aircraft airlines use on different routes.

Well if Caribbean Airlines buy Air Jamaica they will have to deal with Airbus.... 8)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 07:36:08 PM »

Well if Caribbean Airlines buy Air Jamaica they will have to deal with Airbus.... 8)
Unless they plan on selling their (AJ) old fleet and purchase new equipment. i don't particularly like airbus ! i rather boeng or lockhead tuh tell yuh the truth, and gone are the day when wide bodied equipment, anly ah settah cramp up single isle small planes.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »
So now United is looking to merge with Continental. Would be a shame if Continental's service suffers toward's United's standard and if Continental's routes to Trinidad change.

1]; } ?>