March 29, 2024, 04:29:16 AM

Author Topic: FIFA 2010 World Cup Predictions?  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
FIFA 2010 World Cup Predictions?
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:09 PM »
  Which team do you think will claim the Fifa World Cup in South Africa  ?

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup Predictions?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
usa
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
I strongly WANT Holland will beat everyone  :-*.  USA was favorites but without key players like Charlie and Gucci.. it looks kinda grim but dempsey will turn some heads and if donavon is still in form watch out SA, their keeper and captain is also very good.

The rest... Spain has too many injuries to be any kind of threat and Argentina despite having Milito etc  usually flops like Portugal.
Favorites, hands down Brazil.... again and why not they played in most of the stadiums, Lucio, Maicon are the best in their respective positions consistently it will be very hard for them not to win it all. Another factor is Dunga.. He is a winner.

Don't underestimate De Lippi, but Italy is too old with nothing of high vintage quality yet to surface besides Super Mario who is completely impatient and cocky for his own good. Listen to Jose MARIO !!! 

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:14:36 AM »
 :-\ @ USA........right................

My teams will be Brasil and Germany.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:23:31 AM »
Brazil in 7!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:32 AM »
if sven know what he doing....ivory coast. and yes they capable of beating brasil.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:47:49 AM »
if sven know what he doing....ivory coast. and yes they capable of beating brasil.

Nah!  Doh get meh wrong....I supporting ALL African teams and want to see them do well.  I just think that this current Brazilian team (especially if they remain healthy) is going to be too tough to beat by anybody.  I wouldn't mind at all if Ivory Coast were to garner a historic victory against Brazil, not to mention the resultant implications it would have for African Football........I just don't see it happening with this Brazil side.  :beermug:

.....nor do I have faith in Sven at the International level.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »
usa

It's not the team you want to win.....it's the team you (seriously) think will win....or can win.....or has a chance....a slight one, at least.  Brazil, good, usa, bad.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 03:52:10 AM »
Brazil - Germany final.

Tough to call, I could go with Braz for now ;-)

Give S. Africa until the semis ;-))

However, I think those African countries could real get on in Africa - Cameron, Ivory Coast.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

giggsy11

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:26:31 AM »
Brazil all the way; every world cup! Would love a Brazil v Holland finals.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 10:23:48 AM »
America did really well to reach final of the Confedaration Cup last year and if they reach the Quarterfinals of the World Cup in SA they will continue to silence their critics...Anyway I believe Spain will win their first World Cup in SA..Spain is my choice

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »

Nah!  Doh get meh wrong....I supporting ALL African teams and want to see them do well.  I just think that this current Brazilian team (especially if they remain healthy) is going to be too tough to beat by anybody.  I wouldn't mind at all if Ivory Coast were to garner a historic victory against Brazil, not to mention the resultant implications it would have for African Football........I just don't see it happening with this Brazil side.  :beermug:

.....nor do I have faith in Sven at the International level.

i agree with yuh all de way. im de type of guy that likes to see underdogs beat down favorites. i've been cheering for brasil for as long as i can remember, and yea brasil in this world cup have an elite squad. ivory coast on de other hand have a pretty strong squad as well, stronger than 06 (this team gave argentina trouble, imagine this year). its going to be a throw up we just gotta wait and see.  :beermug:

ps: my faith in sven not at 100% either...

usa

they eh coming out that group. usa feel everybody in that group is a push over  :shameonyou:
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
usa
That belong over in the long shot predictions thread.... :devil: ;D

Would love a Brazil v Holland finals.

:beermug: :beermug:

With a Holland win..... :praying: :praying:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »
On paper, it looks like Italy or Spain...

But I would like to see any of these teams in the final...Brasil, Ivory Coast, Germany and Holland.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 09:41:57 PM »
England / France

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »
Germany!!!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

giggsy11

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »
I can't wait for the World Cup to start-2-3 matches a day for a month! I actually enjoyed World Cup 2002 and having to watch games midnight and 2:30am-sacrificing for the cause.
It's the most wonderful time of every 4 years!

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 08:31:59 AM »
usa
That belong over in the long shot predictions thread.... :devil: ;D

Would love a Brazil v Holland finals.

:beermug: :beermug:

With a Holland win..... :praying: :praying:
:beermug: :beermug:now thats what am talking about....................GO HOLLAND ALL THE WAY :beermug: :beermug:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
algeria will poison d states, and d states will draw wit england
I pity the fool....

giggsy11

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »
Since we talkin predictions-Sleeper team that can make some waves -Serbia -Worse teams-toss up between USA and New Zealand.
Movin on-
Group A- Mexico and Uraguay

Group B- South Korea and Argentina

Group C- England and Algeria

Group D- Germany and Serbia

Group E- Holland and Cameroon

Group F- Italy and Paraguay

Group G- Brasil and Portugal

Group H- Spain and Honduras
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:03:20 AM by giggsy11 »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 09:28:46 AM »
England / France Holland

Either one of these two. 

Germany or France could get a bligh too, but England and Holland is my big two.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 10:42:08 AM »
my money on brazil.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 04:11:24 PM »
England I think have ah good chance. :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

giggsy11

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »

Subdir: jamietrecker
MSNEntertainment
CelebritiesEntertainment NewsGamesMoviesMusicSuperfansTVVideoMoney

About Me: I am the senior soccer writer here at Fox Sports. Email me at jamie.trecker@gmail.com. Follow @jamietrecker.

Charlie Davies and the Ugly Side of Fandom

Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 10:06 AM EST [General]

UPDATED MAY 13: Because of a very busy day and the continuing interest in this topic, I'm leaving this up on the front page. Scroll down for more on Davies' situation, and fresh links to top stories.

---

American coach Bob Bradley released the USA camp roster yesterday afternoon at 2 PM Eastern. Within five minutes, “Charlie Davies” was a trending topic, after it was revealed the injured forward was not going to be making the trip to South Africa.

Criticism of this choice was swift, harsh and troubling. American soccer fans have been wildly unrealistic about this team for quite some time, but Davies’ omission tipped this into venom. Bob Bradley was ripped throughout the blogosphere, with some asserting that Davies “had” to be on the team, and that the manager was somehow denying the Yanks a chance this June. Not some small ire was aimed at forward Robbie Findley, who’s only crime, as far as I can tell, is playing well enough to get picked for a camp, and having injury problems of his own.

What to make of this?

Is Davies’ omission disappointing? Of course. It’s also entirely expected: Davies hasn’t played a game since the October car crash that killed one of his fellow passengers. While his recovery has been swift, people seem to forget that the question around Davies just six months ago wasn’t if he would ever play soccer again, it was if he was going to recover and have a normal life.

Roping another player into this? That’s beyond the pale. And while Bradley is surely ripe to be criticized for his tactics, his player selection and the team’s overall performance, ripping him for leaving an injured player home strikes me as wildly unfair.

I realize many folks wanted a happy ending for Davies. I hope those same folks think about it for a moment and realize that Davies’ life and career don’t begin and end with the World Cup in South Africa. He certainly hopes to have a long career, and if he recovers and reaches the level he was at last summer, he’ll be on the next American squad. 

Still, the venom troubles me, as I fear it conceals something deeper. American soccer fandom has long had a siege mentality. It’s understandable, if outdated: After all, soccer has succeeded here. It doesn’t need further proselytizing, just folks paying for tickets and cable hookups. And yet, that mentality continues, and it has shaded into intolerance.

More than a few American fans feel that they must rip down European leagues and players to “defend” MLS and the national team. Still others wildly overrate the chances and the quality of the players the Americans field because they superstitiously fear that if they do not, they are courting disaster. There’s an ugly xenophobia that has emerged, and it is growing toxic.

American players do deserve support from the fans, for sure. And speaking as a member of the press, nothing ticks me off more than opening my local paper (the Chicago Tribune, to be exact) each morning after an MLS game to find that while the Bears get three pages in the off-season, the Fire get a two paragraph brief. (I think most people would say that not covering a local team, playing in a major league that draws about 16,000 people to every game, is abdication of a newspaper’s core duty.)

But there’s a line here. On the one side is the fan’s duty; on the other, the stalkerish, unhinged braying that has plunged the sport in a number of other countries into chaos. Some American fans have crossed that line, and need to be reeled back.

The reaction to Davies threw that into stark relief. Some fans don’t seem to be able to separate reality from fantasy and that should trouble everyone.

I’ll go one step further and suggest that the folks who operate the blogs and the messageboards where a lot of this bile circulates need to step up and tamp it down. I don’t buy the line that moderating comments is “censorship;” the fact is, anonymous commentary is cowardly and a lot of it is incendiary. The folks who are paying their server bills by pandering to this should take a hard look in the mirror. This is not “supporting” the sport; it’s just plain ugly.

UPDATE: Davies stirred the pot a bit last night with an interview in France that blamed Sochaux officials for not clearing him to report to camp. Here's the facts: Under FIFA rules, the club could NOT have prevented Davies from attending camp. The decision not to call him in was made by Bob Bradley and U.S. Soccer after advice from their own medical professionals. Some of the interview is archived here, en francais and English.

----

There is one thing that can be said about the 30-man roster selected by Bob Bradley: It looks pretty stark. More than one fan got a wakeup call yesterday, realizing that this team is very, very average.

There a number of players in the camp who have had disappointing seasons, been hit by injury, or have just faded off the grid. Only four men — Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley and Tim Howard — look to be legit. (Marcus Hahnemann has had a great year too, but he’s not a field player, and he’s not a starter.) There are a lot of holes, and Bradley looks like he’s going to try to rely on heart and athleticism come June.

Would another coach have made a difference? Yes, probably. I think the players might have received better tactical training, and that might have carried over into their club careers. But I’m not sure even Guus Hiddink or Marcelo Lippi could do much more with this bunch.

The fact is, the Americans seem to be in a developmental valley. Until the problems with the collegiate game are fixed, we’re wasting time and talent every day. Until MLS is able to offer enough money to become a realistic goal for talented young athletes, soccer is going to be fifth-best in a four-sport country. These are huge problems, and while it’s worth noting that American has made enormous strides since 1990, this newest roadblock is an enormous one. It’s also one that isn’t going to be solved by June.

So, sit back, enjoy the games and root for the guys. But don’t expect much. There just isn’t much there.

Offline nutmegthruyuhleg

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • World Cup 2010
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 04:44:44 PM »
Well with a scoring beast like Sir Wayne Rooney who can stop England.

Brazil/Spain

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »
Brazil is always my horse. I like the three lions as well(England for those who don't know) but though really see them going to far. Of the African teams(which I want to see do well) Ghana is my horse...GO GHANA!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
If only Holland had a strong defense. My predictions is the best defensive side gonna win. Here are the contestants for that honor. Italy, old but still very very firm favorites to lift the cup again, Germany, although lacking a colorful frontline that is deadly as before like Klinnsman, the Germans can count on Philip Lalm and company to keep the backline tight as possible. Other serious contenders are the Swiss, boasting one of the best defensive players in Philipe Senderos, the gunners man is sure to be a major hit again this summer. Slovenia, boosted by a seasoned veteran coach Guus Hiddink this side turned heads in qualifing beating Poland and outshining Czech Republic to make it to the last 32. And finally the organisational strenght of the Americans have grown much in confidence as they were able to hold off World leaders Spain and then do it to Brazil in the finals falling short of only experience.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 10:01:10 PM »
spain likely have a tougher draw than england. and they get bounce by usa in last year's confed cup. who knows.

==

Spain tipped for World Cup glory by economists: Reuters poll

(Reuters) - Spain are favorites to be crowned World Cup champions, narrowly ahead of Brazil, according to a global field of 74 soccer fan economists polled by Reuters.

Twenty-four respondents said Spain would shed their reputation for perennial disappointment this year and clinch the title for the first time, a tad more than the 23 who expected Brazil to add to their record tally of five trophies.

But economists are not known for their powers of foresight in matters football.

For Reuters' 2006 World Cup poll, most of them showed as much acumen in guessing Argentina would win that year as they did in predicting an impending global financial crisis. Eight out of 96 correctly predicted a victorious Italy.

In the latest survey, just one economist expected the Azzurri to retain their title in South Africa this year, and Argentina polled a distant third behind Spain and Brazil.

"I'd go for Spain because they seem to have not just the talent but also the resilience and strength which they missed in the past," said Jean-Francois Mercier, chief economist at Citi in South Africa.

"Brazil is a big threat but will they have the energy to go all the way?"

South American champions Brazil remained top of the FIFA rankings on Wednesday, with European champions Spain in second place.

Fifty-two out of 68 economists expected at least one African team to reach the quarter-finals this year -- a feat matched only by Senegal in 2002 and the 1990 Cameroon team inspired by striker Roger Milla.

Nigeria were the most popular bet for this year, followed by Cameroon.

But the poll showed it was likely that South Africa, ranked 83rd in the world and facing top-20 teams France, Mexico and Uruguay in their first round group, will become the first host nation not to progress to the second round.

"It's gonna be tough for South Africa, but the overwhelming sound of vuvuzelas will scare the pants off the Mexicans and the French," said Johannes Khosa of Nedbank in Johannesburg.

Reuters asked a smaller sample of African economists and emerging market specialists in a separate poll about the economic impact of the World Cup.

They said South Africa's economy would get only a modest boost from hosting the World Cup, with fewer visitors to the event expected than was originally forecast.

MODEL OF PERFECTION?

Some forecasters have used complex statistical models to predict who will win the World Cup.

Last week, JPMorgan said England would win based on its quant models used to predict stock returns. UBS picked Brazil, Germany and Italy as the most likely winners based on a probability analysis.

Others have adopted simpler methods -- old-fashioned guesswork and superstition.

"England will win if they pick Joe Hart as first choice goalkeeper as any team with a former Shrewsbury Town player will do well," said Howard Archer of IHS Global Insight in London, referring to a fourth-tier English league club.

The largely European sample of economists selected Argentina's Lionel Messi as the competition's likely top scorer, followed by Spain's David Villa and Wayne Rooney of England, the fourth-most-fancied team for victory.

"Messi is bound to come good for his country at some point -- why not now?" said Noelani King Conradie at NKC Independent Economists in Cape Town.

Messi was crowned World Player of the Year and was last week joined at Barcelona by David Villa after a 40 million euro ($49 million) move from Valencia.

(Polling by Karan Belani, Ruby Cherian and Jason George of the Bangalore Polling Unit, Editing by Jon Bramley)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 06:20:31 AM »
algeria will poison d states, and d states will draw wit england

Nah the US getting level cut arse from every body.....there will be no drawing or beating England.....not that I care either way   :devil: ;D

GO HOLLAND!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »
Ivory Coast
Argentina  (I cant believe im saying this)
Germany

Thats it!
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>