March 28, 2024, 11:28:20 AM

Author Topic: Noel’s sister dies in Tobago  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Noel’s sister dies in Tobago
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:47:11 AM »
Noel’s sister dies in Tobago
T&T Newsday

JOICY NOEL, the sister of Trinidad and Tobago’s first world boxing champion Claude Noel has died.

Newsday understands that the 65-year-old died at her home in Signal Hill, Tobago, on Friday last week. And she will be laid to rest today at the Scarborough Cemetery following a service at the Victory Pentecostal Church in Signal Hill.

Molly Boxill, a boxing judge will represent the Amateur Boxing Association of Trinidad and Tobago (ABATT) at the funeral.

Noel’s death has sent the boxing fraternity into mourning as she was an avid fan of the sport.

She was the aunt of David Noel, the former WBA Fedelatin and WBC Fecabox champion. Her nephew was also the WBC Inter Continental champion as well as national Amateur champion at one time.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Noel’s sister dies in Tobago
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »
Ex-boxer Noel going totally blind

Trinidad Guardian
Friday, February 20, 2015

Claude Noel, the country’s first World Championship boxer is on the verge of total blindness, and he is calling on new Minister of Sport Brent Sancho to come to his aid before the situation worsens.

Noel, who put T&T on the world map in 1982 with a victory over Mexican Elgato Gonzales for the World Boxing Title in the lightweight division, has now found himself against the ropes. After a failed attempt to remove a cataract in his left eye a few years ago, Noel is now blind and a worsening case of diabetes only allows him to see shadows.

Noel said that with his diabetic situation deteriorating, he will soon lose sight in his right eye totally.

In addition the former Commonwealth, Latin America and T&T number one ranked boxer in the late 1970s and early 1980s, is in dire need of help to fix his falling roof at Malabar, Arima, as well as finances to fill his bare cupboards.

The former boxer, now 67, said: “All I can see now is the shadows of people. I used to cook for myself but my sight has become so bad that I can no longer do it. I am really in need of some help.”

Noel’s only comfort has been his nephew who tries to administer assistance with his insulin. A group of former boxers known as the “Friends of Claude” also pays him regular visits.

The group which comprises Michael Paul, Isaac Thomas, Ralph Peterkin, Ramsome Flemming, Michael Williams, Walter Peters, Keith Aberdeen, Nathaniel Jones and Winston Cox also tries to supply Noel with foodstuff when they can but while Noel has been thankful for the gesture by his friends, he feels it is one that should be done by the government, by virtue of his service to the nation.

Noel is calling on Sancho to help him get a live-in nurse or care-taker who can check his sugar levels daily, administer insulin when necessary and provide him with the type of daily meals to combat his diabetes. He said: “Sometimes my niece would cook food and bring for me but it does not suit the diet I should be on as a diabetic.”

He added: “For what I have done for this country I think I am deserving of more attention during this time of severe illness. I am not demanding anything but I think I really need some help and should be recognised at this time.”

Noel was hoping to receive major assistance following a newspaper report last year, but said he was totally deceived when someone by the name of Miss Dillon called him and told him that she had received a letter from Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to help him.

Instead the ex-boxer said he had only received a run-around with Dillon only promising that she will send someone to assess his situation but never did.

Noel is also grappling with the disappointment of not being paid for well over a year when he was an employee for the T&T Boxing Board.

He says this non-payment may have stemmed from a callous individual who held an advisory position on the board and is also a major promoter for the sport today.

When quizzed as to how much he was owed the ailing ex boxer said well over $60,000.

Noel’s wife and children have been living in the United States for over ten years, and attempts to join them proved futile after he was denied by the Embassy in 2009, but the former boxer vowed to try again.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:09:54 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
Wow!. my moms have to do cataract surgery next month!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:47:42 PM »
The editing of both articles is atrocious.

Having said that, the TT Govt. partied with CN all over the damn place when he won the World Title. And then dropped him like a hot potato when he lost it in his first defence.

In an age where homes are being given to people who are NOT world champions, Noel shouldn't have to ask twice.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 01:47:25 PM »
Better times for a TT legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3W8MuJthWM

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »
go fund me website

I wonder how many trinis will drop a $5 for Claude Noel.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
go fund me website

I wonder how many trinis will drop a $5 for Claude Noel.

Is there a link to go with your post?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »

http://looptt.com/2015/02/21/sancho-pledges-support-ailing-claude-noel/

 21/02/2015 (11:19)   208    0   

Minister of Sport Brent Sancho has pledged to assist former world boxing champion Claude Noel, who is reportedly losing his eyesight due to complications with diabetes.

The former Soca Warriors defender made the statement after Special Advisor of the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control Boxu Potts said on Friday that the former Permanent secretary of the Ministry of Sport Ashwin Creed had refused to assist Noel.

“I know he wasn’t well,” Sancho said, “Obviously we are concerned as he is a national hero. We will try to provide whatever assistance we can for him within our capacity. This is news to me. I am a bit shocked by this.”

Potts said that he had approached then Minister of Sport Anil Roberts in October 2011 with a plan to assist Noel, the former WBA World Lightweight title.

“I had approached Minister Roberts that we should assist our first world champion Mr. Claude Noel, by way of a pension fund,” Potts said in an interview with local media, “I asked for $8000 a month for him.”

Potts said that Roberts approved a sum of $5000 a month for Noel but the then Permanent Secretary Ashwin Creed refused to comply.

“Permanent Secretary Ashwin Creed bluntly refused this request saying that this was a Boxu Potts initiative and he would not be helping Claude Noel. He just did not pay the man one cent,” Potts said.

Potts added, “It is sad to know that people like Ashwin Creed who did not work the vineyard of sport or did not perform to give the country awareness and visibility and turn around and refuse to help these people like Claude Noel, Leslie Stewart and Giselle Salandy did. It is a shame.”

The Roxborough-born Noel, 65, beat Mexican Rodolfo Gonzales for the world title in September 1981.

The Claude Noel Highway in Tobago was named in his honour after the victory.

1]; } ?>