April 26, 2024, 08:56:42 AM

Author Topic: Saved from certain death  (Read 638 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Saved from certain death
« on: May 13, 2010, 05:00:41 AM »
True heroes........fire is not an easy thing nah

--------------------------------
Saved from certain death
By INDARJIT SEURAJ Thursday, May 13 2010

click on pic to zoom in

Drop in a bucket: Firemen had little choice but to fill a bucket from a standpipe to help them put out a fire at Siparia Hill, Laventille on Tuesday, ...
TWO CHILDREN escaped certain death yesterday when they were pulled from their burning Beetham Gardens home moments before it was completely engulfed in flames. The daring rescue took place at 17th Street (B), Phase Three, Beetham Gardens where fire fighters had to burst a hole in the concrete wall to gain access and rescue the children.

Freda Wilson, five, and her brother Jerry, three, were treated at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex (EWMSC) in Mt Hope, for smoke inhalation. Afterwards, their father Glenroy Wilson praised the Fire Service officers for their timely response in rescuing his children.

“Their swift response most likely saved the lives of my children,” Wilson said. “The firemen came and took them out of the house,” he added. Wilson and his wife Cleopatra Derrick were nursing minor burns to their hands after trying to gain entry into the house.

Acting Fire Station Officer Nazrudeen Khan also praised his officers for their good work.

“I think the men did a fantastic job,” he said. He said on receiving the call just after 9.15 am yesterday, they acted “promptly” and quickly determined the best course of action to take at the scene.

“We quickly assessed the situation and moved quickly to remove the children,” he said.

Appliances from the Fire Service Headquarters on Wrightson Road, Port-of-Spain and from the San Juan Fire Station responded to the scene. Firemen were up to late yesterday trying to ascertain the cause of the blaze.

Derrick said she left her children home for a few minutes to go to a parlour, but when she returned she was greeted by the sight of her home on fire. Recalling how helpless she felt when her children were trapped inside, Derrick said, “I could hear their screams and I started talking to them.” Minutes later, firemen arrived and rescued the trapped children.

The PNM’s candidate for Laventille West in the May 24 general election, Ni Leung Hypolite visited the scene and reassured the displaced family that they would receive Government assistance. “I have already made some calls to get assistance for the family,” Hypolite said.
© newsday.co.tt - www.newsday.co.tt
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

1]; } ?>