April 27, 2024, 12:56:01 PM

Author Topic: Trent chooses Joe Public over US colleges  (Read 9752 times)

Offline stillmatic

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Trent chooses Joe Public over US colleges
« on: May 13, 2010, 05:58:34 AM »
http://guardian.co.tt/news/football/2010/05/13/carlos-do-better-next-season

National Under-23 forward, Trent Lougheed is determined to win a first team spot with Joe Public in the T&T Pro League after opting to join the “Eastern Lions” on a one-year deal rather than take up a scholarship at University of Connecticut and University of Denver. “I’ve been working very hard because I intend to get into the first team at Joe Public. I haven’t had that chance as yet this season,” said Lougheed who missed the Fifa Under 20 World Cup because of injury. “I decided to join Joe Public because I wanted to keep playing at the senior level and get some experience as a professional. I had offers from UCONN and Denver but Joe Public was the option I went for instead. I think it will help me because I’m closer to the national team being based at home and hopefully this will help me as an international player as well,” Lougheed added.

Is he serious? I hope he never gets injured because he will have nothing to fall back on!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trent chooses Joe Public over US colleges
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:15:51 AM »
Is he serious? I hope he never gets injured because he will have nothing to fall back on!!!

The never ending discussion of going pro vs attending school.

This is the age to take risks, you can always go to school. It eh no different dan somebody deciding to pursue music, acting etc. rather than higher education. Yuh cyar always be hedging yuh bets. In any event, it doh have to be about injury, he could simply end up not making it pro ball, but so what? It is a legitimate career choice, let him give it his all. Also, getting a degree doh guarantee yuh nutten either. At de end of de day is a personal choice. He and Jamal Gay choose dis route. Leston Paul, Uriah Bentick, and Qian Grosvenor choose de college route. Sean De Silva start college, den stop in order to play ball. Everybody do what dey feel right fuh dem.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:20:40 AM »
Tallest the problem is if you choose a pro contract in TT which lets face it doesn't really count for a whole lot that's a concern. Contracts here are as fickle as it gets...... if he got an offer foreign I could understand that but playing in empty stadiums with a league that is constantly losing money is not the best choice lets face it our best pros made it foreign not local ... plain talk bad manners!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:28:19 AM »
Tallest the problem is if you choose a pro contract in TT which lets face it doesn't really count for a whole lot that's a concern. Contracts here are as fickle as it gets...... if he got an offer foreign I could understand that but playing in empty stadiums with a league that is constantly losing money is not the best choice lets face it our best pros made it foreign not local ... plain talk bad manners!

That's where it starts for most of our players. It's a stepping stone kinda like an internship. Positive performances may lead to national team selection which may lead to wider exposure and a foreign contract.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 06:33:50 AM »
JP over UConn...? breds take the chance at UKOnn yes...!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »
I'll say it again for the benefit of the majority foreign based posters on the forum. It is possible to play professional football and pursue tertiary education in Trinidad not so much in Tobago. Most of those guys end up studying, Management, Accounts or some other programme they could do home anyway. The fall back on argument is null and void. I think the league should have an official policy on education like the EPL. Even in the absence of such a policy it is still possible to do both.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 06:59:28 AM »
How many of our players make it as a pro after going to college? Shaka...?

Furthermore, how many of them made it to the pros because of their college careers? Rahim for a period of time...but other than him, nobody.

If you go to college, u basically throwing away your chance to turn pro.

With the advent of the Concacaf Champions League, it is much easier now for a local potential to be spotted by playing pro ball here than going to college, if u serious about being a pro footballer.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:03:21 AM »

Furthermore, how many of them made it to the pros because of their college careers? Rahim for a period of time...but other than him, nobody.

With the advent of the Concacaf Champions League, it is much easier now for a local potential to be spotted by playing pro ball here than going to college, if u serious about being a pro footballer.

Spidey we best striker for TnT went to mercer college.... then there are Roberts, Telesford, A.John, Julius James.... to add a few... So most of them American Players who attend college was throwing away they pro career..? So UCLA did nutten for Bocanegra...? Come nah US Colleges Education have some merit to it!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:16:25 AM by Daft Trini »

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:36:24 AM »
Average salary of a player in the UK is about 250,000 Pounds a year and that is if you is a scrub.

Average salary of a UCONN grad is 40,000 US a year and that is after 4 years of hard studying, and if you can get a Visa in america to work and if you can get a JOB.
Jobs are hard to come by and especially if you is not a citizen it even worse.

Play the Lotto and play some ball you never know.

Compare the Life of a footballer to the life of a college student.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:40:56 AM »
Average salary of a player in the UK is about 250,000 Pounds a year and that is if you is a scrub.

Average salary of a UCONN grad is 40,000 US a year and that is after 4 years of hard studying, and if you can get a Visa in america to work and if you can get a JOB.

Understood  :beermug:

My only fear is some of meh brethrins who stay back end up like (forgive me) Hardest... so much ah dem was to focused on oooman and fete... lets pray that this kid makes it to LaLiga quickly  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:43:01 AM by Daft Trini »

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 07:43:18 AM »

for me you just one injury away from .........! I would say go to school. Education will always take you  further than soccer will take you..
Stern John, David Nahkid and Evans Wise. I think the man should have gone to Uconn. He would have been in a semi professional environment and have the ability to get some professional recognition. And ALL the people that I know who played there graduated. I dont know about his finances but I will rather have someone pay for me to

Spidey we best striker for TnT went to mercer college.... then there are Roberts, Telesford, A.John, Julius James.... to add a few... So most of them American Players who attend college was throwing away they pro career..? So UCLA did nutten for Bocanegra...? Come nah US Colleges Education have some merit to it!

All American

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 07:54:49 AM »
I glad for him... NCAA is ah black hole for TnT football.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:00:11 AM »
or me you just one injury away from .........! I would say go to school. Education will always take you  further than soccer will take you..

Stern John, David Nahkid and Evans Wise all played in us college. I think the man should have gone to Uconn. He would have been in a semi professional environment and have the ability to get some professional recognition. And ALL the people that I know who played there graduated. I dont know about his finances but I will rather have someone pay for me to
All American

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:03:10 AM »

That's where it starts for most of our players. It's a stepping stone kinda like an internship. Positive performances may lead to national team selection which may lead to wider exposure and a foreign contract.

he may take a while to break into the national team
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 08:15:07 AM »

Exclude the EPL big 5 and that 250k average probably drops to around 25k.
KND where yuh get that 250k figure from?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
Some ah allyuh commentin like is allyuh decision. He knows what is best for him. If he chooses to pursue football now .....then support the youth......he can always choose to pursue a degree at home when he is ready.
Besides playing at UConn isn't going to prepare him for professional ball.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Glad for de youth, hope things work out for him, he could still attent the UTT if he wants to further his studies in the future.

The problem I see with Trent is, he is not prolific, so he needs to work hard if he want to go far, but not a bad player overall.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 09:08:52 AM »
Like anything else in life- the bigger the risk, the bigger the potential reward....but also the bigger the potential downfall...  The important thing is that when you make your decision, follow it through to the end, and you work your @$$ off to make it count for all that it can...

So long as he does that, succeed or fail, he can say that he followed his dream to the fullest and did his best- nobody will be able to take that away from him...

Good luck Trent.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 09:20:29 AM »
Good luck Trent.  As BM does say...play yuh fitball

Fuh every stern john...it have bout 5,000 jason suite

Fuh every david nakhid.....it have a nex 5,000 kevon neaves

Fuh every Avery John.....it have 2,000 richard garcia

De US College system in general IS a black hole fuh T&T footballers.

It eh have no guarantees is trute.....but I wouldn't be surprised if Trent Lougheed end up a lot further ahead in his footballing career than Leston Paul.

At the end of the day, Tallman right...is THEIR LIFE and is THEIR choice.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline future socawarrior

• Jr. Warrior
  • I can accept failure but i cant accept not trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 09:25:04 AM »
Playing at UCONN is much better than playing at any regular university that other Trinis went to. A number of people on the forum are ignorant and state that if you play College you career over. But a number of Trinis did not play in big time schools like UCONN, Wake Forest, Akron and Duke. When you go to these schools you have a great chance of playing in the MLS as 40% of the players in the combine comes from these schools. DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU COMMENT.

If Trent chooses to stay in Trinidad and hope to make pro, good for him. At the end of the day if he does not make a contract in the UK, which is unlikely seeing that big clubs start taking players at younger ages, and seeing that he is not a household name: he would live on a low salary at joe public. But he can still play for the National team, and represent country with pride and for some people that is better than money. Goodluck

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 09:43:23 AM »

UConn All-Time MLS Draft Picks

Year     Player                     Round             Pick        Team

1999     Bobby Rhine           1st              6th        Dallas

Maurizio Rocha        Project-40                Miami

2001     Brent Rahim            4th             45th      Los Angeles

2002     Chris Gbandi           1st              1st        Dallas

Sam Forko              3rd              30th      NY-NJ

Mansour Ndiaye       1st              7th        NY-NJ

Bryheem Hancock    2nd              22nd     Los Angeles

2003     Shavar Thomas       1st              10th      Dallas

Damani Ralph          2nd              18th      Chicago

2004     Lindon Pecorelli       3rd              30th      San Jose

2005     Easton Wilson         4th              38th      New England

Esteban Arias*        3rd              33rd      Chivas USA

2006     Mpho Moloi*           1st              7th        Houston

Willis Forko*            2nd             14th      Salt Lake

2007     Kevin Burns*          4th              50th      Columbus

2008     Julius James           1st               9th       Toronto

Ryan Cordeiro         3rd               33rd      DC United

2009     O'Brian White         1st               4th        Toronto

Akeem Priestley      4th               50th      Kansas City

You can choose to look at this two ways. How many of these players are still around in the MLS?
Or look at it as 19 players over a ten year span have been selected through th MLS draft. (when you figure that there is at least 20 on a roster..then 19/200+)  The youth made a smart football decision.

Offline future socawarrior

• Jr. Warrior
  • I can accept failure but i cant accept not trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 09:47:24 AM »
Partner...its only Seniors can enter the draft. Not the whole roster... Please do a little more research. A player's career depends solely on them when they get that far. Ask Rahim

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 10:27:12 AM »
One wonders how much missing out on Egypt impacted this decision.

I think TM's and Jah Gol's comments add a refreshing perspective.

Being a student-athlete incorporates two responsibilities, being a pro involves one ... as a pro, the only student yuh need to be is a student of the game in a dedicated football environment.

Ngozi good contribution. But let me say: there are other leagues in the world in which fan attendance is minimal and front office profitability at the margins ... yet, soccer of a well-regarded quality is on display, and players in those environments are not consigned to remaining there. What I think may be lacking in our nascent pro environment is a certain level of individual enterprise among our players. Our league is a feeder league, and as a pro today, I would treat it as such.

The perfecting of our league will take time. However, in the interim, it provides players a platform on which to go forward. While fsw's defence of UCONN is understood, at the end of the day we're comparing apples and oranges. Starting a venture with one's ultimate destination in mind is what the college v pro divide should turn on. However, some players achieve a certain level of acclaim and self-recognition during their collegiate careers that then leads them to explore the next level.

While there's more than one way to skin a cat, I think the most valuable comments in this thread rest on the notion of risk-taking. Whereas, the standard manner in which most of us tend to assess decisions like Lougheed's is cost versus benefit. IMV too many variables are unknown to make that the most useful approach ... not to mention, any player engaging in CBA is likely engaging in a self-defeating assessment before embarking on the journey. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:29:16 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »
Partner...its only Seniors can enter the draft. Not the whole roster... Please do a little more research. A player's career depends solely on them when they get that far. Ask Rahim

The 200+ is over 10 years..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:37:29 AM by MEP »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 12:11:42 PM »

OUtside the Prem. and Champ Div. that is highly unlikely.

Many American Uni players from TT have done ok besides Shaka, David Nakhid, Stern John, Wise, Avery John, Scott Sealy, Roberts, Rahim for a while, colin rocke.

I know there are others to that list.

Look at the number of Trini Uni. players that made it as pros.
Look at the number of Trini pros that made a name or money for themselves outside TT.
Whereas the number of Trini pros may be more. To ask a man to give up an A class education for a pro contract in TT is bodacious. English football for 100 thousand pouns a year I could understand, that is over a million TT.

You leave Uni with a Diploma and options in the A League, MLS and TT pro league. It might set your pro on international career back a bit but you have options. You go directly to the TT league, break your leg and then what??

What ever happened to Ngozi Blackman.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:41:22 PM by vb »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »

Stern didn't make it pro because of Mercer. Stern make pro after he get a link to A-league side cause it had trinis on that side already. And he was already scoring for trinidad.
Avery went to Ireland to come back to the MLS, he didn't get it straight out of college.
Roberts turn pro because of the shell cup performances and a link from Wim, not college.
Julius James and Rahim is the only men who really do it because of college careers..and they both not faring very well now , are they?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
Men looking at one side of the coin. If more of these guys stay in Trinidad it would be to the benefit of Trinidad and too all players after them indirectly. If they as good as the universities believe, they will be assets to our youth teams, especially the Olympic squad. If the youth can train together and start achieving more, scouts will start looking in our direction more. It could also benefit the level of the PFL. This would benefit the players.

If all the good players leave the shores each year the competitiveness of the league cannot improve. When players know it have youth men waiting for their spot. Training harder than them. The level of the game will step up. We will start doing better in Concacaf Champions League.

As one man say if he doh make it as a pro he could go UTT. Private sector and government need to help place our sports people at the end of their careers once they qualified. It have real men scratching in Gov't jobs who never represented their school, community or  country.

Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
When stern John when from MLS to Nothingham forest his salary went from 48K per year to ~700K per year I read that in the newspapers at the time.

Which Job you getting such a raise.

That was division 2 at the time and 10 years ago.

All the ballers in english lower divisions are making good money.

If you feel is only players in the top 5 squads making money you are wrong.

The shittest shithound in Division 3 walking home with at least 100K at the end of the season

This is not MLS.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 01:14:47 PM »
To each his own. The man made his choice let us wish him well and hope that he will be a good servant to T&T football

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 01:22:03 PM »
Men looking at one side of the coin. If more of these guys stay in Trinidad it would be to the benefit of Trinidad and too all players after them indirectly. If they as good as the universities believe, they will be assets to our youth teams, especially the Olympic squad. If the youth can train together and start achieving more, scouts will start looking in our direction more. It could also benefit the level of the PFL. This would benefit the players.

If all the good players leave the shores each year the competitiveness of the league cannot improve. When players know it have youth men waiting for their spot. Training harder than them. The level of the game will step up. We will start doing better in Concacaf Champions League.

As one man say if he doh make it as a pro he could go UTT. Private sector and government need to help place our sports people at the end of their careers once they qualified. It have real men scratching in Gov't jobs who never represented their school, community or  country.

Correct.

1]; } ?>