April 27, 2024, 11:14:50 AM

Author Topic: Trent chooses Joe Public over US colleges  (Read 9750 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trent chooses Joe Public over US colleges
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »
All the best Trent if you think that's best for you I fully support your decision. This is the time to develop your talent if you want to persue a national team selection and serious professional career. Most US colleges do not develop you as a player as you would expect, for the big name schools it's all about recruiting and if your ability is good enough to take you through 4 years where you're above other players (not really being challenged) then you'll standout and some team may give you a shot at MLS and hopefully you'll have a degree. However if you want to develop your talent to play for our senior team and Joe Public is the right enviornment at this point in time to guide you on that path, then do so!

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
ah mean d only positive thing h could say is he could always continue his education via uwi or utt or use CAPE and do an online bachelors at a good school........while playing ball if he really dedicated

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »
The never ending discussion of going pro vs attending school.

This is the age to take risks, you can always go to school. It eh no different dan somebody deciding to pursue music, acting etc. rather than higher education. Yuh cyar always be hedging yuh bets. In any event, it doh have to be about injury, he could simply end up not making it pro ball, but so what? It is a legitimate career choice, let him give it his all. Also, getting a degree doh guarantee yuh nutten either. At de end of de day is a personal choice. He and Jamal Gay choose dis route. Leston Paul, Uriah Bentick, and Qian Grosvenor choose de college route. Sean De Silva start college, den stop in order to play ball. Everybody do what dey feel right fuh dem.

UCONN is a good degree though... I guess man still have UWI to fall back on, although money drying up so we'll see how long dey holding de 'GATE' open.

Average salary of a player in the UK is about 250,000 Pounds a year and that is if you is a scrub.

Exclude the EPL big 5 and that 250k average probably drops to around 25k.
KND where yuh get that 250k figure from?

Or the $40,000 dollar one fuh dat matter.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:54:06 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 03:59:21 PM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/163676000-the-average-salary-of-a-premiership-footballer-in-2006-473659.html

What The Independent's survey revealed

AVERAGE BASIC WAGE

Premiership £676,000

Championship £195,750

League One £67,850

League Two £49,600

AVERAGE BASIC WAGE BY AGE GROUP

Premiership

Age 17-18 £24,500

Age 19-20 £95,000

Age 21-22 £390,000

Age 23-24 £582,500

Age 25-26 £653,000

Age 27-28 £899,500

Age 29-30 £806,000

Age 31-32 £586,000

Age 33+ £660,500

Average* £676,000

Championship

Age 17-18 £22,500

Age 19-20 £43,700

Age 21-22 £79,000

Age 23-24 £79,200

Age 25-26 £136,000

Age 27-28 £261,850

Age 29-30 £247,000

Age 31-32 £247,000

Age 33+ £195,700

Average* £195,750

League One

Age 17-18 **

Age 19-20 £18,950

Age 21-22 £52,000

Age 23-24 £61,650

Age 25-26 £67,600

Age 27-28 £71,750

Age 29-30 £69,300

Age 31-32 £87,000

Age 33+ £72,000

Average* £67,850

League Two

Age 17-18 **

Age 19-20 £16,000

Age 21-22 £32,350

Age 23-24 £43,650

Age 25-26 £46,300

Age 27-28 £47,300

Age 29-30 £50,500

Age 31-32 £52,000

Age 33+ £45,800

Average* £49,600

*all players aged above 20. **insufficient sample pool for meaningful average.

AVERAGE BASIC WAGE BY PLAYING POSITION

Prem   Championship   League 1   League 2
Goalkeeper   £533,000   £179,500   £53,500   £45,900
Defender   £653,000   £167,000   £61,000   £44,400
Midfielder   £754,000   £185,950   £79,000   £46,800
Forward   £806,000   £292,900   £75,000   £67,900
Overall   £676,000   £195,750   £67,850   £49,600

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 06:28:21 AM »
It is always interesting to have this discussion.  Interestingly enough, I spoke with probably the top HS coach in trini and he wouldn't let his best player (who is a HS all star and probably the country's top HS player) sign with the pro league clubs.  He personally feels that the pro league is for some but not all especially kids that can handle the demands of a good university like UCONN, Wake Forest etc. 

I will not begrudge Trent for playing in the pro league as this is his decision.  At the end of the day only he is in his shoes and does what he feels is best.  I know what I did when I was coming out of HS and it turned out to be the best decision for me.  Fellas either way, let's support the kid and hope he made the right choice and turns out to be a future top performer for T&T. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline jumbonut$

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 06:44:50 AM »
I recently returned home from a football scholarship and it is blaring to see the contrast in professionalism between D 1 "COLLEGE" ball and the "TT PRO LEAGUE." I doh mean to bash any of the pro teams here eh but dey dont want nothing with a potent NCAA D 1 programme when it comes to professionalism and organization. I went to school with real players that decided to stay home and play pro and trust mih all ah them regretting it right now. The only player that got a break was Kenwynne Jones and he was not the best player by any means. He was just fortunate enough to get the opportunity and he made good of it. So partner my advice to you is go to COLLEGE... You were being recruited but a top 25 programme so development as a player and a person on the whole is present, is just for you to grasp it. The myth that the US College league being a black whole for TT players is garbage.. Ask Stern John, Brent Sancho, Evans Wise, Avery John, Julius James, Daryl Roberts to name a few.
Dont know if there is still time for you to resend your initial decision but if there is GO TO COLLEGE with the mindset to develop as a player and pursue an education and I am certain you would not regret it in the long run..
All the best with what ever path you choose mih bredda!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 07:24:51 AM »

Dont know if there is still time for you to resend your initial decision but if there is GO TO COLLEGE with the mindset to develop as a player and pursue an education and I am certain you would not regret it in the long run..

nope be played pro ball already
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 07:40:09 AM »
I recently returned home from a football scholarship and it is blaring to see the contrast in professionalism between D 1 "COLLEGE" ball and the "TT PRO LEAGUE." I doh mean to bash any of the pro teams here eh but dey dont want nothing with a potent NCAA D 1 programme when it comes to professionalism and organization. I went to school with real players that decided to stay home and play pro and trust mih all ah them regretting it right now. The only player that got a break was Kenwynne Jones and he was not the best player by any means. He was just fortunate enough to get the opportunity and he made good of it. So partner my advice to you is go to COLLEGE... You were being recruited but a top 25 programme so development as a player and a person on the whole is present, is just for you to grasp it. The myth that the US College league being a black whole for TT players is garbage.. Ask Stern John, Brent Sancho, Evans Wise, Avery John, Julius James, Daryl Roberts to name a few.
Pro league teams have recorded wins against MLS teams, A-League teams and a Mexican league team. You might be right on the level of organisation in the College system but don't cry down the league. We better than you think.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 08:25:23 AM »
Pro league teams have recorded wins against MLS teams, A-League teams and a Mexican league team. You might be right on the level of organisation in the College system but don't cry down the league. We better than you think.
Jah, I eh think he crying down the league to be honest.  I think what he is referring to is the facilities, organization, professionalism etc, not necessarily performance.  In all honestly though, he is correct.  Ask any player who played at a top D1 program what it is like and I can assure you they will confirm what jumbonut$ is saying....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline jumbonut$

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »

Mih bredda I not crying down the PRO LEAGUE at all.. I know that we have the world of talent in the PRO LEAGUE but how is that talent being nurtured? Why do the most promising players in the league fade away as UNSONG HEROES? What measures does the league have in place to insure that our best players have the opportunity to secure an overseas contract? Answer me that nah bredren!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »

De man eh crying down the league... seems to me he just stating that the ability to develop as a player is there, unlike what many here on the outside seem to be saying.  I for one taking particular note of the former US college players who posted and weighing in on the situation have to say.  The three forumites I've identified thus far are overwhelmingly in favor of college ball.

Again... college might not be for everyone, just as Pro-League may not be for everyone.  Quick question though: how man Pro-League coaches have their badges?  How many have badges and are up to date on their continuing education requirements?  How many regularly attend seminars and conferences outside of TnT as part of that continuing education?  How many teams have a dedicated dietary and nutrition regimen, dedicated workout facilities and provide a disciplined environment on and off the field to encourage the total growth of the player as a person and as a professional?

There are many benefits it would seem to me, to being in the college environment as a young player... particularly if you find yourself in the right circumstances.  As much as I root against them in everything, UCONN is a great school academically, and have a very good athletic program... and a very good men's soccer team, this is a tremendous opportunity that has gone begging.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »

Mih bredda I not crying down the PRO LEAGUE at all.. I know that we have the world of talent in the PRO LEAGUE but how is that talent being nurtured? Why do the most promising players in the league fade away as UNSONG HEROES? What measures does the league have in place to insure that our best players have the opportunity to secure an overseas contract? Answer me that nah bredren!!

Jumbo I hear you brethren, if you speaking about facilities, nutrition, organization, etc. then a Div.1 program has the better resources when compared to our Pro League. Still though if college ball is not for everybody, if Trent wants to secure a spot on the national team as a youngster and take his craft further, then I think he made the right decision. When you play ball out here, no matter how good of a player you are, you tend to get lost in terms of being called up for nation team selection. Plus these days when one graduates at the age of 22, that might be a little too late to start to earn the caps necessary to play ball overseas (outside the MLS). I think if you're a young player in the national ranks and want to establish a career in football in a top flight league, then try choose options that could guide you for that. To the contrary, if you're a young player in the national ranks and value an education and have the opportunity to earn a scholarship, then take it and if you're lucky enough to continue playing in the MLS afterwards, then that's a bonus.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2010, 10:51:55 AM »

I think the technical staff at the clubs need to improve themselves and as you rightly said the overall level of professionalism. Take for instance men playing small goal tournament and minor league and still want to hold a pro contract is totally unacceptable.

I think another reason for stagnation is underexposure. With the advent of Champions League our tops teams are getting a fist hand look at the gaps we have to fill to catch up. I for one favour the presence of good quality foreigners in the league but they need to improve the youth development as well.

Regarding your second question I don't think the league itself has a policy to attract clubs to sign players. Clubs like JAbloteh and Connection tend to take initiative in this area though.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »
...To the contrary, if you're a young player in the national ranks and value an education and have the opportunity to earn a scholarship, then take it and if you're lucky enough to continue playing in the MLS afterwards, then that's a bonus.

As I was just telling ah man... what are the odds of a Pro-League player signing a professional contract overseas?  And let's be realistic, we talking Europe here, MLS barely counts.  How do those odds compare with a player graduating college and then signing a European contract (on any level)?  Without knowing the figures, my uneducated guess is that they'd be similar.  That said, wouldn't it make sense to go to college if the odds of making it as a pro are about the same?  At least that way you still have you degree to fall back on... and realistically, unless you're making top-flight (EPL, La Liga, Serie A) money, your education likely will carry you a lot further than your professional contract will over the course of your lifetime.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »
One of the things that should be taken into consideration is that the average age of a fully developed footballer is now 18 or 19. Going through the college system retards a player's professional growth. Simply because the college game does not mirror the professional game. So at 23 or 24 when this player is graduating from college he still has to spend another year or two developing his game.
So even though our professional league is still young and growing a player because of the environment is being better equipped with tools that would take him to a higher level.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2010, 12:04:46 PM »
Exactly. By the time you finish play College ball you around 23/24. No side looking to sign you unless you make your name with the national side, cause they not looking to see what you did in college.

My argument is that the Champions League is what making the difference now to tip the scales to the Pro League. The players getting more exposure through that than in college. You could go to college, hope to get drafted by an MLS side...but everybody who in college, not playing for the national team (or allyuh didn't notcie that?)

So once u in college, forget national side until u graduate. And that keeping you back from ever getting a contract except through MLS. And Stern is the only man who excel in the MLS, and that was for one season. All our other players always get waived or traded at the first opportunity and the MLS has never been a happy hunting ground for us (expect for ancil elcock, cause he probly wouldna make it anywhere else)
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »
Exactly. By the time you finish play College ball you around 23/24. No side looking to sign you unless you make your name with the national side, cause they not looking to see what you did in college.
My argument is that the Champions League is what making the difference now to tip the scales to the Pro League. The players getting more exposure through that than in college. You could go to college, hope to get drafted by an MLS side...but everybody who in college, not playing for the national team (or allyuh didn't notcie that?)

So once u in college, forget national side until u graduate. And that keeping you back from ever getting a contract except through MLS. And Stern is the only man who excel in the MLS, and that was for one season. All our other players always get waived or traded at the first opportunity and the MLS has never been a happy hunting ground for us (expect for ancil elcock, cause he probly wouldna make it anywhere else)
Very valid points.  But I ask you the question, if you are that good at 18/19, then shouldn't you be offered a contract in Europe?  To follow up on Bake n Shark's point, very very few of our players get the opportunity to go overseas thus, playing in the pro league is of no real gain. 

Playing in college dos not keep you back from getting a contract in europe, it only affects you in the top leagues.  Name one player who went from trini straight to the Premiership?  Men does labor in the lower leagues.  How yuh think men like Charlie Davies, Bocanegra, Onyehwu etc make it.  They went to the lower leagues in europe and yuh doh need caps fuh that. 

Only time will tell fellas....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
Best of luck to the youth and I wish him well in his decision and future endeavours.

Ehy it ent alyuh son or chile...

There are much more factors at work and is not a simple decision.

Do you know about the offer, financial situation of the family, his mental capacity for books, if any smallie involved etc.

He made the decision based on what was right for him

Play yuh ball and do what yuh hadda do.

College or not TT players dont ever get signed till late...so is no big scene.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »
...To the contrary, if you're a young player in the national ranks and value an education and have the opportunity to earn a scholarship, then take it and if you're lucky enough to continue playing in the MLS afterwards, then that's a bonus.

As I was just telling ah man... what are the odds of a Pro-League player signing a professional contract overseas?  And let's be realistic, we talking Europe here, MLS barely counts.  How do those odds compare with a player graduating college and then signing a European contract (on any level)?  Without knowing the figures, my uneducated guess is that they'd be similar.  That said, wouldn't it make sense to go to college if the odds of making it as a pro are about the same?  At least that way you still have you degree to fall back on... and realistically, unless you're making top-flight (EPL, La Liga, Serie A) money, your education likely will carry you a lot further than your professional contract will over the course of your lifetime.

Yes I cannot argue against the fact that having a college degree can guarantee some job/financial security over the course of a lifetime but in this case it's up to the individual. Suppose he doesn't want to go to school anymore, what if he's saving his money just incase he doesn't make it he can gain an education, who knows. I also agree with you that the chances of any footballer playing overseas are slim to none but Trent seems committed to representing T&T and maybe playing top flight football so I wish him all the best. Now NOT every player can afford to take this gamble, if he has some potential to make it as a pro and he's in the right enviornment, then he should follow his dream especially is he's getting good advice.

According to Arimaman only time will tell.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2010, 03:07:44 PM »
One of the things that should be taken into consideration is that the average age of a fully developed footballer is now 18 or 19. Going through the college system retards a player's professional growth. Simply because the college game does not mirror the professional game. So at 23 or 24 when this player is graduating from college he still has to spend another year or two developing his game.
So even though our professional league is still young and growing a player because of the environment is being better equipped with tools that would take him to a higher level.

And playing in the Pro League doesn't?  Besides that general statement, even if taken as true, doesn't apply to every situation.  Simply put some programs are better than others and treating them all the same is a central flaw to this line of argument.  Of course the same could be said about Pro League teams... I'm sure there's a difference in the amount of development that occurs in Jabloteh's system than in say... Mau Pau.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
Best of luck to the youth and I wish him well in his decision and future endeavours.

Do you know about the offer, financial situation of the family, his mental capacity for books, if any smallie involved etc.

This is my point... and this is why college makes the most sense to me. 

As for the rest of yuh post... most of the comments here are about the argument in general, nobody criticizing de yute or second-guessing he family personally.  His sitution just happen to spark the latest round of discussion so i really not understanding de "is not allyuh chile" or "he do what's best fuh heself" line are talk some ah allyuh coming with.

----------------------

Soccerman... as I said, everybody situation different and what good fuh one man wouldn't necessarily be good for the next.  Nobody, certainly not me... crticizing de yute for his choice, my contribution is more on a higher level, without commenting on the specifics of his case.  Aside from that, I think we in general agreement on the rest :beermug:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:16:28 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »
Well done Trent. If u are good and believe u are, go for the Pro. If u go to college, u will lose that chance. Look at Kenwyne Jones? The man get $50,000 lbs per week!!!! Had he gone to this nonsense US college and play in that jokey league, there is NO WAY he would have made that money per wk. Thousands of men coming out with this thing called a degree, and they piss see that kind of money per week. They go for their Master and kill dem dead, dey would see such a paycheck per wk! U good Trent! Go for it! U have a limited chance. U can always get that bullshit degree any time in your life. Go hard! Believe in your self, Be disciplined. Make the national team. Work hard, and take your chances when they come. Don't succumb to this crap US college league and dry up like hundreds of other talented footballers. If Kenwyne JOnes can play in the EPL, u can too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2010, 02:19:47 AM »

This is my point... and this is why college makes the most sense to me. 

As for the rest of yuh post... most of the comments here are about the argument in general, nobody criticizing de yute or second-guessing he family personally.  His sitution just happen to spark the latest round of discussion so i really not understanding de "is not allyuh chile" or "he do what's best fuh heself" line are talk some ah allyuh coming with.

----------------------

Soccerman... as I said, everybody situation different and what good fuh one man wouldn't necessarily be good for the next.  Nobody, certainly not me... crticizing de yute for his choice, my contribution is more on a higher level, without commenting on the specifics of his case.  Aside from that, I think we in general agreement on the rest :beermug:

:beermug:

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2010, 11:07:39 AM »
I agree.. shocked he turned down rising USCL for TT PRO League?  :rotfl:

Somebody needs to knock some sense in he head but i think it is not football that is keeping him for leaving, it's a woman.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 05:20:07 AM »
Trent you have made a wise choice.  Its a sign of the times. 

Lets put things in perspective here...

-20 years ago I would say yuh made a mistake but now in TNT we are part of a feeder system whereby I think you will have a better opportunity of going on trials abroad than if you were in the US. Plus we look out for we own.

-As far as I am concerned today....access to education especially in TNT is everywhere and with the advent of distance education-you will always have an opportunity to pursue a foreign education if you want to.

You no longer need to leave our shores...you can get your Accredited Distance PhD from home.

Good luck and stay injured free.
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »
Trent you have made a wise choice.  Its a sign of the times. 

Lets put things in perspective here...

-20 years ago I would say yuh made a mistake but now in TNT we are part of a feeder system whereby I think you will have a better opportunity of going on trials abroad than if you were in the US. Plus we look out for we own.

We are??

In the unlikely event that you are correct... how does the rate of Pro League players who go on to sign European contracts compare to the rate of US college players who do the same?

-As far as I am concerned today....access to education especially in TNT is everywhere and with the advent of distance education-you will always have an opportunity to pursue a foreign education if you want to.

You no longer need to leave our shores...you can get your Accredited Distance PhD from home.

Good luck and stay injured free.

Opportunity is just part of it, having the financial means is an even greater consideration... there's no better price than free.  Aside from which, that "Accredited Distance PhD" yuh talking about... is it acepted anywhere else besides whichever diploma mill yuh buy it from?

The pros and cons of him turning down the scholarship in favor of the Pro League... leh we not distort the truth in our haste to make our points.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:59:51 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2010, 01:25:34 PM »
This is quite a lively discussion.

What is surprising to me is that in 2010, we are still talking about a career in football like it is less than a college education.

Let the man go for it.

If he thinks he can make it, all the power to him.  Once he works hard, and the Father smiles on him, he will get through.

No-one asked what his academic ability is. Can he handle the rigours of being a student-athlete?  UConn is no joke. 

Another question: would this argument be going on in Mexico?  If it does, or did, their league would be horrible as opposed to one of the strongest in the Americas.

If the talented youths doh stay home and play, how the league go build and improve?

Go forth and conquer, young man.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »

What is surprising to me is that in 2010, we are still talking about a career in football the Pro League like it is less than a college education.

This ent education versus "football"... this is top-notch education AND a chance at football afterwards, versus the Pro League.

Mexico?  You serious?

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »

What is surprising to me is that in 2010, we are still talking about a career in football the Pro League like it is less than a college education.

This ent education versus "football"... this is top-notch education AND a chance at football afterwards, versus the Pro League.

Mexico?  You serious?

Five ways to answer this question:

1)We still don't know what his academics are like.  Struggling academically at UConn, leading to becoming academically ineligible (to play) and dropping out helps no-one.

2) The Pro League is just a stepping stone.  As a young player, he may get a look from better leagues, to make more money.

3) The "chance of football afterwards" argument is a tough one to make.  How valuable are players once they hit their mid-20s as opposed to under 21 as prospects to clubs?  How would he have developed having to concentrate on school at UConn plus football as opposed to football only?

4) Even if he wanted an education, couldn't he get one here while playing in the Pro-League?  I know a few guys in the league and they have quite a lot of time on their hands between training and games.  With GATE, he can still pursue a tertiary education for free.

5) Mexico?  Yes Mexico.  I played on scholarship in the US.  I could count on one hand the number of (Mexican-born) Mexican youths playing in the NCAA.  Their league sucks them in to the benefit of the league, Mexico football, and if they do well enough, the players themselves.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:43:58 PM by Jahyouth »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
1. While you raise a good point, the issue of Trent Lougheed's academics is moot... at least where I'm concerned.  I don't think anyone (as stated before) is discussing his personal situation, the discussion is on the larger Pro League vs. college argument.  That argument assumes that either option is a viable one.

2. US College is also a stepping stone... every years scores of American college players go on to sign professional contracts in MLS and Europe.. all of which are better options than the Pro League.  How many Pro League players go on to sign contracts outside of TnT every year?

3. Look at the guys who made it from TnT to a foreign contract... most of them were already in their mid-20s, the same age as the college graduates.  It's not like we have teens signing contracts every day coming from the Pro League.  If either way, the player isn't going to get recognized until his mid-20s it would seem wise to hedge your bets and get your degree as well. 

Also, a strong argument could be made that playing football and focusing on school (particularly at a top-flight program such as UCONN), would still allow for better professional development than anything the Pro League has to offer.  I don't know personally so can't say what JP's facilities and training, dietary/nutrition program etc. is like... but I know that UCONN's is no joke.

4. Could he get an education thru GATE etc., I'm sure he can.  Would he take advantage of that opportunity?  Who knows.  How many Pro League players are currently pursuing a tertiary education in TnT?  Are there other things besides individual desire (or lack thereof) that's preventing them from doing so?

5. Mexico?  Dred... you can't begin to compare the opportunities provided by the Mexican league to the Pro-League.  Pro League can't help you feed and provide for your family for life.  Mexico has sponsorhip, attendance, merchandizing, TV rights etc.  All these varying sources of funds helps supply salaries for Mexican professionals comparable to what might be available in Europe.  The Mexican league itself is a destination, not a stepping stone... so yes, if offered a contract then it would make sense to accept that, the money alone might be worth it... say nothing of the exposure.

I understand your larger point that the league didn't get there overnight, it took talented players to develop.  But the Pro League ent have that kinda talent, don't pay that kinda money and not getting as much attention from European scouts to even merit being mentioned in the same discussion as the Mexican league.  Pro League not even on MLS level... USL might be a better comparison.

1]; } ?>