April 28, 2024, 02:59:52 AM

Author Topic: Jets' No. 1 pick Kyle Wilson has Trini roots  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jets' No. 1 pick Kyle Wilson has Trini roots
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
Jets' confident No. 1 pick Kyle Wilson should fit right in with new team
lancsports.com

Still hanging by yellowed tape in his parents' home is a reminder of Kyle Wilson's four-step career plan.

In big letters, the computer printout on his old bedroom wall reads: "Pop Warner, high school, college, NFL."

Well, Wilson needs a revised set of goals now.

The New York Jets drafted the former Boise State cornerback with the 29th overall pick Thursday night, excited about pairing him with Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie in a secondary that already ranked No. 1 in the league last season.

"This is the only dream I ever had and all I wanted to do," Wilson said Friday. "Honestly, I am living a dream right now. It was just a matter of how I was going to do it."

Wilson was always confident he would make it to the NFL. Even when he was trying to beat his two older brothers in every sport they played. And, even when he had trouble getting recruited out of high school.

"Kyle always believed he could do anything," said Wilson's mother, Carrie. "That's just how he is."

That's the sort of swagger Rex Ryan loves, and Wilson sees some of himself in his new coach.

"We've got similar personalities," Wilson said. "He's very proud of what he's about. He has a lot of fun out there playing. I think I do that similar stuff. I go out there and play with a lot of emotion, and have a lot of fun out there because at the end of the day, it is all fun."

Wilson will be expected to play right away as the Jets' starting nickelback and compete for the job as the primary punt returner. He had 11 interceptions at Boise State and returned three punts for scores.

"That's what I do, right there," he said with a smile. "Any time I get the ball in my hands, I feel I can score. That's something I've been doing since I can remember. What it's like having that ability to go out there and make somebody miss, there's no feeling like crossing that end zone."

Wilson was a standout cornerback and wide receiver at Piscataway High School, and didn't pass on a chance to remind everyone of his all-around skills.

"All-state wide receiver in high school," Wilson said, laughing. "I still got it. I take one-on-one reps still, to this day."

Despite an impressive high school career, Wilson slipped under the recruiting radar and received few offers. Even Rutgers, located a short jog away, didn't go after him hard before making a late offer.

"You would never hear Kyle badmouth Rutgers, but it had to hurt him," said Wilson's brother, Vincent. "It's up the street from the house. That's why I say he plays with a chip on his shoulder. Who wouldn't?"

His brothers put together a tape of his highlights and sent them to dozens of top Division I schools. Boise State sent him back a letter, which resulted in a visit -- and Wilson ended up leaving New Jersey for Idaho.

As a freshman, Wilson made an immediate impact, getting an interception on the first play. He became a starter in the second half of his freshman season, and capped his college career by helping lead Boise State to a Fiesta Bowl victory over TCU.

Wilson also roamed Boise State's secondary wearing the No. 1, knowing he was a target by opposing offenses.

"Everybody knows who that guy is with the No. 1, and they're always going to have something to say about him," said Wilson, who idolized Deion Sanders. "I just wanted to be that guy, and I thought it was right to wear that number."

Now, he has a chance to play a big role for a team that was 30 minutes from a Super Bowl appearance last season.

"I feel a part of something special," he said.

Wilson's athletic excellence comes as no surprise to his family. Wilson's father, Gerry, came to the United States from Trinidad on a track scholarship to Tougaloo College in Mississippi. Carrie Wilson played high school basketball. Meanwhile, both of his brothers played college football -- Gerry Jr. at Princeton and Vincent at Iowa and Delaware -- and both were cornerbacks.

"They were good, and Kyle always thought he was better than they were," Carrie Wilson said. "Kyle figured he could do just as well as they did, or better."

Turns out, he was right. And, he was able to stick to that game plan still mounted on the wall.

"It's all I ever wanted and it's finally here," the Jets' new cornerback said. "I'm just excited to start a new chapter in my life."

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
Re: Jets' No. 1 pick Kyle Wilson has Trini roots
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:46:44 PM »
3rd Trini in the NFL...well done  :beermug:
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »

who are the other 2?

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:42:57 AM »

who are the other 2?

Verron_Haynes (won super bowl ring): Atlanta Falcons

and

Anthony Herrera: Minnesota Vikings.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:44:49 AM by big dawg »
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
Went to school with a guy in Buffalo that going to New England Patriots.  Cah remember he name to save my life.  Also owe him a couple dollars too....
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 04:19:56 PM »
Went to school with a guy in Buffalo that going to New England Patriots.  Cah remember he name to save my life.  Also owe him a couple dollars too....

Nah yuh safe he earnin d big bucks now.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:05:40 AM »

who are the other 2?

Verron_Haynes (won super bowl ring): Atlanta Falcons

and

Anthony Herrera: Minnesota Vikings.

There have been others too...

Quentin Coryatt who played for Texas A&M and the Colts (Born in the VI, but parents from TnT I believe)

and Curvin Richards who played for Pitt and had a cup of coffee with the Dallas Cowboys

The NY Times wrote about the seemingly sudden influx of 'Island' talent in the NFL two weeks ago.  Little do they know that there's nutten sudden or recent about it, it have many players with Caribbean/WI heritage who played/playing in the NFL.

1]; } ?>