March 28, 2024, 12:12:28 PM

Author Topic: Maradona hints at back four  (Read 1123 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Maradona hints at back four
« on: April 17, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »
This man mad yes.. he leaving home Zanetti??  :o :o

Maradona hints at back-four

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2010/April/17/maradona-hints-at-back-four/

17 April 2010
Fixed 4?: Argentina boss Diego Maradona, seen here with Lionel Messi, will be using Nicolas Otamendi, Martin Demichelis and Walter Samuel with Gabriel Heinze as a probable for the defence at the World Cup.

(GSM) - Argentina boss Diego Maradona has dropped a hint of his probable back four at the World Cup, which has kept clean sheets in their last two games.

The controversial manager has called up over 90 players for his 16 matches in charge of the national side.

With such an incredible number of players being used by the Boca Juniors legend, it would be a guess as to who will be in the starting line-up when Argentina kick off their World Cup campaign against Nigeria on 12th June.

However, after 1-0 wins over Uruguay and Germany in their last two outings, Maradona revealed that he could be sticking with the same defensive line-up he used in both matches.

That consisted of three recognised centre-backs in Nicolas Otamendi, Martin Demichelis and Walter Samuel with Gabriel Heinze operating as a fourth in a narrow approach.

The unique formation is Maradona's response to unsuccessfully deploying attacking full-backs in a traditional four-four-two line up, and he is set to use this tactic in South Africa.

"I tried out lots of full-backs, I tried with [Javier] Zanetti, [Emiliano] Papa, and I finished up with four central defenders," Maradona said.

"I think I'm going to play like that, they're the ones who give me guarantees at the back. They didn't concede a goal and [Germany] didn't create any goal chances," he added.

Meanwhile, Newcastle winger Jonas Gutierrez has been assured that he will play a part in his nation's WC campaign, with Maradona claiming that he would have played the 26-year-old even if he were relegated to League One with the Magpies.

As it happens, Gutierrez has already secured promotion back to the Premier League with the Magpies, and he will be involved on the game's biggest stage this summer.

"I spoke to (Gutierrez) and reassured him that even if he went down to the C (third tier) with Newcastle I was going to take him," Maradona admitted.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona hints at back four
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 05:52:39 PM »
At this stage, anything you do is either genius or madness. We'll find out in South Africa which one it will be.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
dat back four could work, otamendi has plenty potential but he might be the weak link.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Diego Maradona runs over cameraman at World Cup squad announcement
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:00:16 AM »
Diego Maradona runs over cameraman at World Cup squad announcement
guardian.co.uk

The Argentina coach Diego Maradona insulted an injured cameraman after accidentally running over his leg ahead of announcement of the albiceleste World Cup squad.

Driving to yesterday's news conference in Buenos Aires, the 1986 World Cup winner was surrounded by journalists. One was hit and he fell to the ground.

According to a witness, Maradona's car rolled over the lower part of the cameraman's leg. "What an asshole you are," Maradona shouted from the car. "How can you put your leg there where it can get run over, man?" Paramedics attended to the cameraman, who was taken away for further treatment.

The 49-year-old coach then delivered the names of the 23-man squad for the World Cup to the media. Maradona's World Cup preparation was disrupted in March when he needed minor facial surgery after being bitten by his dog.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 03:06:12 PM »
I hope he doesn't get suspended prior to the opening game ... I really want to see what he does.

1]; } ?>