April 25, 2024, 04:48:00 PM

Author Topic: Locked up abroad Thread.  (Read 1668 times)

AirMan

Locked up abroad Thread.
« on: January 06, 2011, 06:46:20 PM »

Full read..http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Trini-with-brain-tumour-remanded-in-job-scam-case

The court heard that between October and December this year, Egbo solicited money from several persons promising them jobs in Barbados.

It was heard she collected between $17,500 and $40,000 from each person for a total of $286,000 but when they showed up at the airport on December 2 there were no tickets for them.

AirMan

Re: Trini scammer facing jail time in Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:08:49 PM »
we does live up to we name as "Trickidadians"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Locked up abroad Thread.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »
Trinidadian faces 25 years in Canadian prison
BY RIA CHAITRAM (NEWSDAY).

A Trinidadian is awaiting further sentencing from a Canadian judge after being found guilty of murder and multiple home invasions.

Several international news agencies have reported that Septimus Neverson, 57, was found guilty on January 10 for murder by Montreal Superior Court Justice Guy Cournoyer and sentenced to 25 years in jail without parole, which he appealed.

He is yet to receive sentences for 54 other crimes stemming from a series of home invasions carried out between 2006 and 2009. Neverson’s case went cold and was subsequently closed when he fled to T&T in 2015. The matter was reopened after one of his friends provided information to the police.

He was later held by T&T authorities at the request of the Montreal Police Department, under a warrant for international arrest and later extradited to Canada in 2016. Reports said his motive for these robberies, in part, was to send money to his children and family back in Trinidad.

In 1987, he was also convicted of a murder and after serving time in Canada, was deported to TT in 2000, but he re-entered Canada some years later under the alias, David Munroe. In one of his recent interrogations, which lasted almost eight hours, Neverson refused to say anything related to the case in question.

He said however, his earlier conviction was based on discrimination. Neverson, according to news reports in Canada said, “The reality is there. I done serve my time. It was a set of lies, the police lied. They lied to put me in jail because…”

Neverson also refused to answer claims that a ten-year-old child was a hostage in one of his home invasions. He told the interrogator, “You see you telling me I did something, which means you already passed judgment on me.”

The interrogator rebutted saying that he was just asking if he (Neverson) was a cruel person. Neverson said, “I have the right to remain silent, legally speaking. Right now, we are dealing with legality.” Local police told Newsday that the matter is being handled by Interpol.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Locked up abroad Thread.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 07:42:51 AM »
Pregnant Canadian woman finds herself jailed during trip to Trinidad
RYAN HAMILTON-DAVIS (NEWSDAY).

PART ONE

IN 2018, 22-year-old Canadian accounting student Sylvie Dzafic (pronounced ja-fic) had everything going for her. She was well on her way to finishing her degree; she had a fulfilling and steady job; and she had a baby on the way making her family which had Polish roots all the more larger and happier.

But everything would change after she came to T&T that year.

Dzafic, then five months pregnant, was arrested along with her boyfriend after he was found with illegal narcotics at Piarco Airport.

Now, two years later and 6,000 miles from her ailing mother and two-year-old daughter, the 24-year-old Dzafic is seeking anyone who could help her to get home or survive in T&T for a little longer.

Dzafic was doing an associate degree in accounting and payroll management at a community college in Brampton, Canada. While studying, she worked as a customer service representative at a car dealership.

A few months before she left Canada for T&T, she found out she was pregnant by her on-again-off-again boyfriend Christopher McLeggon.

He seemed fully invested in their child, and even though he already had a job, she told Newsday he was looking for a second one to support Dzafic during her pregnancy.

She was excited to experience all the things which came with giving birth and being a first-time mother.

McLeggon, who was Jamaican-born but had family in T&T, asked her to come to visit his family here. It was an idea that neither she nor her mother, Vesna Dzafic, was comfortable with, but she came anyway.

“I wanted to be in my own environment,” she said. “I was just experiencing being a mother. I was focused on school and work and was just experiencing what it was like to work as a pregnant woman.

"I had responsibilities and I didn’t want to leave them. I was very serious about school. I was always on time and I never missed a day. I was worried about having days deducted from my classes.

"I spoke to my mom about it and she told me not to go. I even told him to go ahead, and I would stay.

"But he didn’t want to leave me alone. He was a stubborn person, and I didn’t want to fight him over it, because I was pregnant. The stress would take away from the experience. So although my mother was saying not to go, I followed him...

"I should have followed my gut. I should have listened to my mother.”

Dzafic and McLeggon flew here in January 2018. Coming from a cold climate, she couldn't bear the heat, so she spent the majority of what was supposed to be just a week here at a hotel in Port of Spain. She only left the hotel room to get fresh air. She said she did not even meet her boyfriend’s parents.

Eventually, she became suspicious after she started asking questions about where McLeggon's family was and what was happening outside the hotel, but wasn't getting answers.

“He kept telling me not to worry about it,” she said. “The more questions I asked, the more upset he got.”

She gave him the benefit of the doubt but that turned out to be a mistake.

On January 24, 2018, they left the hotel and went to the airport. As soon as they got there, two plainclothes police officers approached them.

“They took us into a room and searched the bags.” she said.

The police found about 4.5 kilograms of cocaine in their luggage.

They were both arrested and charged with trafficking in a controlled substance. McLeggon was convicted and sentenced to three years in Golden Grove. He is expected to be released in 2022.

Dzafic’s fate hung in the balance. As she was charged with an indictable offence, and because she could pose a possible flight risk, her passport was seized. Pregnant and with no friends or family, she was remanded to the women’s prison.

“It took a little longer for me to get bail than usual,” she said. “The magistrate said I was a foreigner, so while in remand I would not have to worry about food or a place to sleep.”

Officials from social welfare told her she had limited options. If no one could come and take her child when she was born, the baby would be fostered. She would have to spend years in the system while Dzafic fought the case. Childcare authorities would never allow a baby to be taken to a prison for visits.

Even before the birth, the pregnancy was not what Dzafic had hoped for. There are no baby showers behind bars.

“Pregnancy is supposed to be a beautiful thing. But I didn’t get to experience anything that a pregnant woman would want to while preparing for their child to come.

"I could not even do any activities. I wanted to do yoga or other classes, but because I was pregnant I wasn’t allowed to do anything. They would not even let me participate in sports day. I had to end up walking in a small circle to get exercise.”

She had to force herself to eat because she could barely stomach the food. She ate things she had never heard of before, like ochro and rice.

“I hated it, but people kept telling me it was good food,” she said. “But no matter what, I had to eat, even if it was bread and butter."

It wasn’t recommended, but every prisoner was required to clean their general area while in remand. Besides, it was the only thing that kept her occupied.

She had to call on her mother, Vesna, for help, as she had no one to depend on in TT.

Her boyfriend’s parents, whom she was supposed to meet, still hadn’t contacted her; in fact, throughout the ordeal they would only call a few times to find out about the baby.

Her mother wasn’t in a good financial position, but found the money.

“Putting that kind of burden on my mom didn’t make me feel comfortable at all,” Dzafic said.

“It was a definite, ‘I told you so,’ moment but my mom would never come out and tell me that. She knows me as a person, she knows I would think twice about the situation.”

On the day she was remanded Dzafic met Karen (not her real name), who was also pregnant. They struck up a conversation and became friends. Karen was bailed out, but ended up back in remand about two months later.

When Karen returned, Dzafic still had not gathered the money for her bail. She would need someone to pay it, and possibly use the deed to their family home, as a requirement of the court. But the closest person she knew who could help her in that way was more than 6,000 miles away. Dzafic, seven months pregnant, began worrying about the fate of her child.

Karen offered to put her in contact with a bailiff and a lawyer to post bail. She would visit and bring food, as well as file paperwork for a court date to apply for bail. Dzafic’s mother would send money for the food, and to pay the legal costs, adding extra for gas and other expenses.

But weeks passed and there was no progress with the case.

Dzafic, who is currently out on bail, is grateful for the offers of help she has received from readers so far and does not need any further assistance.

Look out for Part Two of Dzafic's story.

Sylvie Dzafic and boyfriend Christopher McLeggon -

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 11:14:44 AM »
 >:(

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 04:43:36 PM »
Vision on Mission to help Dzafic

PRESIDENT OF Vision on Mission Giselle Chance explained in a conversation with Newsday that the NGO was not aware of the situation of Sylvie Dzafic, whose story was shared on Newsday earlier this week.

She said now that it knows, it is more than willing to reach out to her to see if and how it can help.

Vision on a Mission is a non-profit organisation founded by the late Wayne Chance, which helps people released from prison to reintegrate with society.

Sylvie Dzafic, 24, was remanded on drug trafficking charges two years ago. She called Newsday asking for help to get back to her home in Canada because she has been in TT for two years, awaiting the outcome of her case. Her two-year-old daughter is in Canada with Szafic's sick mother. Dzafic's passport jhas been confiscated and lacking any ID, she has been unable to get work/.

In her story, Dzafic said she had been unable to get in contact with the organisation.

Chance said ultimately the onus is on the person leaving prison to seek out the organisation and get assistance. The process is not automatic.

She said recommendations are usually made by the Welfare Division in the prison service, which contacts Vision on Mission to say someone needs its help. Chance said this is done especially when the person is in need of housing.

The NGO has moved from Railway Road, San Juan to 10 Austin Street, St Augustine.

Vision on a Mission has a Facebook page where people can message the executive for assistance and they can also reach members at 718-8328 or 678-0785.

Sylvie Dzafic is now out of prison but is still unable to return to Canada as she awaits the conclusion of her court matter. -

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 04:45:12 PM »
Pregnant Canadian woman jailed in Trinidad – part 2

Part TWO

IN 2018, 22-year-old Canadian accounting student Sylvie Dzafic came to Trinidad.

A week later, Dzafic, then five months pregnant, was arrested along with her boyfriend after he was found with illegal narcotics at Piarco Airport.

Now her baby daughter – whom she was only allowed to hold for a few minutes after her birth – is living with Dzafic's mother in Canada.

Dzafic is out of remand on bail waiting for her case to be heard, and hoping desperately to be allowed to go home to her family.

A month before Sylvie Dzafic had her child, her mother, Vesna, arrived in T&T.

Dzafic's friend Karen (not her real name) would help Vesna go to the bank to collect money she had borrowed from people in Canada, as well as taking her to Dzafic’s court hearings. Karen also connected them with a bailiff, who helped them with bail, for a fee. Vesna stayed with Karen's family while in Trinidad.

The cost of dealing with the trial, along with staying in the country, took a toll financially, but Vesna had to stay, if only until her daughter had the baby.

On May 31, 2018, Ciara Dzafic was born – under police guard. Dzafic’s waters broke while she was in remand and she was taken to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Centre in handcuffs to deliver the baby.

Dzafic remembers being able to hold her daughter only for a moment, before nurses took her away. Ciara stayed at the hospital for a few hours – and then her grandmother took her to Canada.

Vesna also had to break some news to her daughter before they left. She was battling throat cancer.

“My mother is a very strong woman,” Dzafic said. “She has been through so much and experienced so many things. She didn’t want to tell me until after she got Ciara home safe, because she knew how it would affect me.”

One day, thinking about her troubles while she was still behind bars, she broke down.

“I just sat on a bench crying,” she said. “That was when I met Britney.”

Dzafic said Britney approached her and told her not to cry and they began talking. Britney told her not to worry, because “God is the boss.” She consoled her about her daughter and reminded her that no one could deprive her of being a mother.

Dzafic and Britney would comfort each other, pray together and share their experiences outside the prison walls. They even did each other’s hair.

A month after she gave birth, Dzafic was released on bail. She would not be reunited with her family, however. She was considered a flight risk – so her passport remained in the hands of the authorities.

She ended up in the care of the same people Vesna had stayed with. She began going to church with her first friend from prison, Karen, and Karen's relative who had stood bail for Dzafic, who were Seventh-Day Adventists. But there were tensions between the other two, who seemed to be competing to be closer to Dzafic.

Worse yet, things were getting even tighter financially, with Vesna’s medical bills adding up in Canada. Money became harder to come by, and the relationship between Karen, her relative and Dzafic became even more strained.

But with no identification, Dzafic could not find work. She depended on money from her mother, who sends funds when she can. She decided to seek out her friend Britney.

Britney had remained in remand for a while after Dzafic got out, but they eventually met up. Dzafic would help Britney around the house and with what little they had they managed to get an apartment with Britney's family in south Trinidad.

The stress of Dzafic's situation is compounded by being separated from her daughter. She described Ciara as a bubbly little child, now learning to talk.

“Every time I call, she asks me when I am coming home. I tell her I’ll be home soon.”

She said she had told the Canadian High Commission about her situation while she was in prison, but this did not bring any results.

"I am not getting help from anyone in TT except Britney. No NGO, or organisation or anything. Not even Vision on Mission (an NGO for former prisoners)."

With the spread of covid19 she is even more concerned about her mother’s health.

Dzafic has no idea how to get back home, except to continue with her case and get a verdict. Her next court date is on September 18.

In the meantime she continues to hope for her freedom.

“I miss my mother. I long for my daughter, and I miss my family and friends back in Canada. I just pray to God we can get through this.”

Sylvie Dzafic is grateful for the help readers have offered her since the first part of her story appeared, and says she is not in need of any further assistance.

Four-month-old baby Ciara Dzafic being held by her grandmother Vesna. Ciara is now almost two years old. -

1]; } ?>