Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 169665 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2014, 07:28:05 AM »
... ah see yuh geh a lil big up in ZING magazine! :cheers:

they did a 3 page feature (with cover) on me a while back and I now (for the past year & 1/2) have my own section. Ironically I'm working on a piece as I type this. Look for me on a major US network in the coming months.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »
... ah see yuh geh a lil big up in ZING magazine! :cheers:

they did a 3 page feature (with cover) on me a while back and I now (for the past year & 1/2) have my own section. Ironically I'm working on a piece as I type this. Look for me on a major US network in the coming months.

Solid!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2014, 11:05:20 PM »

OPPOSITION REJECTS ATTEMPTS TO BRIBE JOURNALIST

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-PNM-REJECTS-ATTEMPTS-TO-BRIBE-JOURNALIST-285692281.html

We reject it.

That's the position of the main Opposition party on what they are calling attempts to bribe journalists one day after the Prime Minister denied involvement in inducements handed to media personnel at her recent Christmas media appreciation reception.

This, as the PNM rejects all four of the nominees who sought to become the party's next candidate in a crucial marginal seat.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
I hope this helps end the debate on when the next general election will be called.  Its a two part article by Winford James on the topic.  After reading it I get the impression the election is constitutionally due within 3 months after the current Parliament term ends.  That should be on June 18th.  The election should be called by September 18th (if its not called before June 18th of course.......)

Part 1..

When, the next general election?

By Winford James

In an article of September 26, Peter Taylor, a former minister in Patrick Manning’s last star-crossed administration, observed as follows:
“The last general election was held in Trinidad and Tobago on May 24, 2010 and therefore the Government’s five-year term of office ends on May 23, 2015. (…) The Government is therefore morally and constitutionally obliged to call the general election no later than May 23, 2015.”
And at the recent People’s National Movement (PNM) convention on November 16, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley is reported to have stated that the life of the Parliament ends in June 2014 and a general election can only be held in the 90-day period following June 2015 if there is an emergency.
These two observations were reactions to the declaration by the PM and the AG that the general election can be officially called by September 2015.
So who is right? And more importantly, how can we know?

The Government holds that the 2015 general election can be held in September. The Opposition holds that it must be held in June. And Mr Taylor holds that it should not only be held in May but gives the latest date by which it must be: May 23! Indeed, Mr Taylor says he is preparing to take the matter to court for a determination! How can the understanding of these four people on this matter be so diverse?
Mrs Kamla Persad-Bissessar and Anand Ramlogan are both lawyers—Senior Counsel, if you please—and the former has been in Parliament for over a decade. Dr Rowley is not a lawyer (though his wife and his party’s public relation officer are!) but he has been in Parliament for over two decades. And Mr Taylor is a lawyer and also spent some time as a minister in Mr Manning’s ill-fated government. And yet they have all come up with different months!
What therefore should the man-in-the-street think? What should your columnist think?

Unfortunately, your columnist is not a lawyer, and he may not even qualify as the lowest form of lawyer —the bushie. But, fortunately, he has been dealing with texts and discourses all his life, and has taught text and discourse analysis (what is popularly called “comprehension’’) all of his working life. Using that experience, he has gone to the place where the authorising text lives—the Constitution. He allows that our four protagonists may have gone to the constitution before making their pronouncements, but he has no proof that they did. Indeed, if he were to go by Mr Taylor’s written article as an example, he finds no invocation of the relevant clause(s) and, consequently, no analysis of it/them. How, he wonders, can one argue for a specific election date without reference to an authorising text or, in its absence, an authorising convention?

Of course, it is appreciated that texts are not necessarily self-explanatory but almost always need to be interpreted. It is further appreciated that a robust interpretation depends in part on the cross-referencing of many texts, which may not be feasible in one column, and in further part on contextual knowledge, which is quite feasible. But we need to go to text in any case. Let’s focus on part III of the Constitution “Summoning, prorogation and dissolution’’ and start with clause 67. (1): “Each session of Parliament shall be held at such place within Trinidad and Tobago and shall commence at such time as the President may by proclamation appoint.’’
We are currently with our tenth Parliament and, if memory serves me right, it was “appointed’’ on June 18, 2010. Let’s go next to 68. (2): “…Parliament, unless sooner dissolved, shall continue for five years from the date of its first sitting after any dissolution, and shall then stand dissolved.’’ The tenth Parliament started sitting on June 18, 2010 when it elected Wade Mark as Speaker. If we count five years from that date, we get June 17, 2015.
Is this why Dr Rowley seemed to be saying that the election should be held in June 2015?
Let’s go thirdly to 69 (1): “A general election of members of the House of Representatives shall be held at such time within three months after every dissolution of Parliament as the President, acting in accordance with the advice of the PM, shall appoint.’’
This clause is saying that within 90 days (if we allow 30 days per month) after June 17, the general election must be held. Ninety days takes us to Tuesday, September 15, 2015. Is this why the PM and the AG have been insisting that the election can be called in September?
(To be continued)

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/When-the-next-general-election-284697471.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
Part 2

When, the next general election?

By Winford James

The PM and the AG are insisting that the next general election can be held by September 2015. Peter Taylor holds that it must be held by May 23. And the Opposition Leader declares that it must be held in June. Who, if any of them, is right?

We must go to the Constitution for relevant text, which we then have to interpret. A parliament is the signature index of a government in place and, according to clause 67 (1), it “shall commence at such time as the President may by proclamation appoint’’. President Max Richards “appointed’’ June 18, 2010 as the commencement time of our current (10th) Parliament.
But this Parliament has a lifespan— at most five years. According to clause 68 (2), “…Parliament, unless sooner dissolved, shall continue for five years from the date of its first sitting after any dissolution, and shall then stand dissolved’’. The tenth Parliament began sitting on June 18 and, therefore, cannot sit beyond June 17, 2015 —five years later.

But after the dissolution of the tenth Parliament, what? Clause 69 (1) says: “A general election of members of the House of Representatives shall be held at such time within three months after every dissolution of Parliament as the President, acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister, shall appoint’’. So, if we take three months to be 90 days, the election has to be held by September 15, 2015.

Based on our analysis so far, it appears that the PM and the AG are right and, logically, Dr Rowley and Mr Taylor wrong. But how can the latter gentlemen—both highly schooled and the first in particular richly experienced as a parliamentarian—be wrong? In positing May 23 as the latest possible election date, Taylor is suggesting that an election must be confined within a five-year period—no more. So that the new government began the day of the elections, that is, May 24, 2010 (not even the next day, May 25!) and must end by May 23 five years later. Which means that it does not matter when a parliament commences or terminates, and that a government is not guaranteed a full five years of parliamentary life. I have searched the Constitution in vain for this understanding and can only conclude that Taylor plucked it from thin air.

But what about Dr Rowley? He is reported to have said that the election can only be held in the 90-day period following June 2015—which month I read as the last for the tenth Parliament— if there is an emergency. Clause 68 (4) addresses the issue of an emergency:
“Where, between a dissolution of Parliament and the next ensuing general election of members to the House of Representatives, an emergency arises of such a nature that in the opinion of the Prime Minister it is necessary for the two Houses to be summoned before that general election can be held, the President, acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister, may summon the two Houses of the preceding Parliament but the election of members of the House of Representatives shall proceed and the Parliament that has been summoned shall, if not sooner dissolved, again stand dissolved on the day on which the general election is held.’’
This is a frightfully complex sentence! It is 109 words long. And it has a 58-word co-ordinated main clause, three main clauses, eight subordinate or embedded clauses, and 12 prepositional phrases. How do we process it?

In simpler language, this brute of a sentence is saying that the president may reconvene Parliament in a PM-determined emergency between parliament’s dissolution and the next general election but that the election “shall proceed’’. As far as the election date is concerned, the text is silent but it does imply that a date has already been set at the dissolution of Parliament and certainly before its reconvention. If the date is already set and, further, if the election shall proceed, then it is reasonable to conclude that the reconvening of Parliament is for the purpose of managing the emergency.
But surely, the determination of an emergency after the dissolution of Parliament cannot affect the setting of an initial election date.

What therefore is the value of linking an emergency to the election date? Perhaps clause 69 (1) can help since it comes after clause 68 (4) and says the date must be “within three months after every dissolution of Parliament’’ (my emphasis).
So the three-month period contains the emergency but does not arise from it. If so, do you suppose Dr Rowley has his own thin air?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/When-the-next-general-election-285457101.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »
What is the issue. Just get your party ready for elections. Patos had the election date in his back pocket and then decided or was told to call election before due time, and PNM got their behind whipped. Pnm should just select their candidates for  any snap call for election.  Do You have to be a scientist to come to such conclusion?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2014, 11:44:50 PM »

A new NACTA poll shows the PNM is on track to regain some of the seats it lost along the east west corridor in the 2010 general election

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-New-NACTA-Poll-2917-285733081.html

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »

A new NACTA poll shows the PNM is on track to regain some of the seats it lost along the east west corridor in the 2010 general election

Nacta certainly is behind Solutions by Simulation in terms of methodology, and track record though.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »

Nacta certainly is behind Solutions by Simulation in terms of methodology, and track record though.

I don't believe their polls are accurate but just posting different polling results to contribute to the thread.

I know the Opposition has to be ready for an avalanche of online propaganda from UNC/PP foot soldiers and individual opportunists who will try to mislead the public in the next couple months. Do you remember the ole talk about Manning having an outside wife last elections? And remember the 'Percy' fella from Canada.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »

The Prime Minister face is everywhere from mugs, vouchers, billboards, placards, Government television programmes, then who is paying for all of this?

This election season will see wasteful spending

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »

The Prime Minister face is everywhere from mugs, vouchers, billboards, placards, Government television programmes, then who is paying for all of this?

The waste for the entire period of whatever they havin been doin since May 2010
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »

confess.. yuh liking the freeness!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2014, 07:38:07 PM »
Nuh sure if ILP will win one seat but dey have been busy selecting candidates  :)

ILP PICKS GEETA MAHARAJ FOR FYZABAD

Story Created: Dec 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM ECT
Story Updated: Dec 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM ECT

New trouble for Chandresh Sharma, the minister forced to resign in scandal.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-ILP-PICKS-GEETA-MAHARAJ-FOR-FYZABAD-286299531.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:59:53 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »
Nuh sure if ILP will win one seat but dey have been busy selecting candidates  :)

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-ILP-PICKS-GEETA-MAHARAJ-FOR-FYZABAD-286299531.html

I reckon the ILP can take a couple seats off the PP unless the vast majority of PP supporters are racists and love corruption.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »

I reckon the ILP can take a couple seats off the PP unless the vast majority of PP supporters are racists and love corruption.

ILP does not have enough support in Trinidad to win any seats including the only seat they have in Parliament right now.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »

ILP does not have enough support in Trinidad to win any seats including the only seat they have in Parliament right now.

Like yuh eh make out what 'Pro was doing? Yuh shouldn't have responded seriously.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »

Like yuh eh make out what 'Pro was doing? Yuh shouldn't have responded seriously.

And please tell me what I am doing Asylumseeker, as you seem to know more about my motives for giving my honest opinion on a political issue than I do.

PS: It is weird that I was unable to reply to this thread earlier but now I suddenly can after sending a complaint to the Mods.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »

And please tell me what I am doing Asylumseeker, as you seem to know more about my motives for giving my honest opinion on a political issue than I do.

PS: It is weird that I was unable to reply to this thread earlier but now I suddenly can after sending a complaint to the Mods.

I eh see no reference to Kim Jong-un or Sony ... so maybe it was Narendra Modi, divine intervention or ... merely the restraining hand of a timely technical glitch. We've had a few around the forum recently ...

I understand yuh politics Pro, and I appreciate dahis yuh honest political opinion. Buh lehwe not pretend the comment wasn't provocative. As such, in my honest opinion, it should not have been dignified with a serious response.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2014, 10:23:30 PM »

Rowley: No issue with Marlene

Allegations of misconduct of PNM deputy

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Rowley-No-issue-with-Marlene-286476251.html

By By Michelle Loubon

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley says allegations raised against People’s National Move­ment (PNM) deputy poli­ti­cal leader Marlene McDonald are “not an issue with us”.

He said yesterday the PNM did not have room for “individual agendas”, with regard to the screen­ing process for the San Fernando East constituency.

Rowley made the comments during the PNM’s annual lun­cheon for senior citizens and hamper distribution ceremony, at Balisier House, Port of Spain.

Welfare officers from the 41 constituencies collected hampers and toys, which will be distributed to needy people and children from tomorrow. They were each given a complimentary fruitcake.

Attorney General Anand Ram­lo­gan has said he is scrutinising a 2011 Lake Asphalt (LATT) audit report containing allegations of

corruption, which mentions McDon­ald and other PNM offi­cials,

to determine if there are any grounds to lay a charge of miscon­duct in public office. The audit report concerned a review of con­tracts and conflicts of interest in that company.

Asked to give an update on McDonald, Dr Rowley said: “We have a screening process. That process allows the party to examine all people who come forward. We have done so with McDonald.

“Allegations have been made by her detractors. We have no reason to rethink (our position) based on what we know. It is not an issue with us. There is a lot of energy elsewhere. We will not be distracted by that.”

(• See Page 8 interview)

Asked about the screening process for San Fernando East, Dr Rowley said: “The PNM has a constitution and we follow the processes laid down. The con­stitution does not make provision for individual agendas, so when we informed San Fernando East it was their turn to nominate, they had issues which we don’t have.”

Rowley added: “The PNM had

also made it absolutely clear that San Fernando East nominees who

submit their papers after the Decem­­ber 22 deadline will not be screened.”

This rules out participation by San Fernando East MP Patrick Manning, who will undergo his health assessment between Decem­ber 23 and 31.

Asked about screening there, Rowley added: “They asked for an extension and we granted that extension, and a second extension. And we told them in order for the party processes to move forward, December 22 is the date by which they would nominate whoever they wish.

“What has happened, the con­­stit­uency executive has not co-operated with the advice they have been getting. We gave them seven days’ notice.”

Christmas wish for T&T

Asked about his Christmas

wish for Trinidad and Tobago, Rowley said: “We ask for peace and prosperity, and our ability to overcome our challenges.

I wish the nation a Merry

Christmas. Let it be safe and happy. I wish everyone a

prosperous new year, even as we face challenges. I think our potential is good, once we

behave properly.”

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2014, 10:25:45 PM »

I eh see no reference to Kim Jong-un or Sony ... so maybe it was Narendra Modi, divine intervention or ... merely the restraining hand of a timely technical glitch. We've had a few around the forum recently ...

I understand yuh politics Pro, and I appreciate dahis yuh honest political opinion. Buh lehwe not pretend the comment wasn't provocative. As such, in my honest opinion, it should not have been dignified with a serious response.

Fella nothing is wrong with someone replying to someone else's honest opinion especially when it is clear that the person is making a speculation which means that it may or may not turn out to be true in the future.

Notice that I said "I reckon" as I am fully aware that I making an honest speculation in giving my opinion on the issue.

I will expand so you will see why my speculation is logical:

Jack Warner is/was reputed to be the hardest working government MP who does/did a lot to help his constituents and he won his seat by the biggest majority of all the MPs in the last elections. So with that in mind and considering that Jack has diligently continued his work as the MP for Chaguanas West there is no logical reason why he shouldn't be able to win his seat for the ILP unless his race and him no longer being a part of the UNC becomes more of a factor than performance and bringing about benefits for his constituents.

So based on Sando's argument that the ILP does not have enough support in T&T to win any seats including the only seat they have in Parliament right now courtesy of Jack Warner, if that proves to be true then it also confirms that my speculation as to the reasons why will also hold water as Jack has proven himself many times over to be one of the hardest working MPs and his constituents should appreciate his work and the service and benefits he has brought to them by now. If not then something is honestly wrong with their thinking and most of them are supporting their party based on race of the leader rather than on performance.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:34:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2014, 11:07:15 PM »
^^^particularly true when one considers that the PP doesn't really have a strong candidate in that constituency to challeng Jack.  The last one they recruit, who was allegedly "on fire," couldn't tell if she was coming or going before she get lambaste.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2014, 11:10:18 PM »
^^^particularly true when one considers that the PP doesn't really have a strong candidate in that constituency to challeng Jack.  The last one they recruit, who was allegedly "on fire," couldn't tell if she was coming or going before she get lambaste.

But I doubt Jack will be the one who is running for that Chag West seat next election. He is no longer political leader of the ILP and it seems he is on his way out of active politics and more behind the scene type of politician. Time will tell

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2014, 11:19:16 PM »
But I doubt Jack will be the one who is running for that Chag West seat next election. He is no longer political leader of the ILP and it seems he is on his way out of active politics and more behind the scene type of politician. Time will tell

Jack love the limelight and vestiges of power too much... Chairman/Editor/Publisher (whatever) of Sunshine Newspaper just eh go cut it.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2014, 12:23:21 AM »

You are really falling behind Sando, see news article below.
Jack has been ILP leader again since early November and as Bakes said he enjoys the limelight too much to stay in the background for too long.

Trinidad’s ILP Leader Resigns
International News, November 6, 2014 (PrideNews.ca)

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – Austin Jack Warner was returned as political leader of the minority opposition Independent Liberal Party (ILP) after Lyndira Oudit, who was elected unopposed in June, quit on Sunday.

Oudit, who had quit her position as deputy speaker of the Senate to join the ILP, said she believed Warner, a former national security minister here, was best suited to lead the minority party into the 2015 general election.

“I believe Jack Warner is the political leader or the person best suited to lead the party, that’s as simple as it gets,” she said, adding “I am a very processed person and solution driven…”

In her note announcing her resignation on Sunday night, Oudit, who says she remains a member of the ILP, noted that her resignation was with immediate effect.

Warner had served as ILP chairman, and Oudit said that she had “cordial discussions about this and other matters” before announcing her resignation.

“I have simply stepped down as political leader and, as of now, I have indicated to Mr. Warner and to the executive, that if they need any assistance, if there is any way I can assist, by all means I am no stranger and I will make myself available,” she added.

Warner told reporters that he respects the decision of Oudit and that he is happy she remains a member of the party.

“It shows the institutions of the party are working, it shows that, unlike other political parties, we are not afraid of electing people to office, and most importantly, it has set in training for us for the general election in 2015…”

Warner has said the ILP will be a major force as a third party in the next general elections due in 2015 and that next weekend the party will decide on the seats it intends to contest in the election.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:28:03 AM by Socapro »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2014, 04:48:21 AM »

If not then something is honestly wrong with their thinking and most of them are supporting their party based on race of the leader rather than on performance.

... or maybe just plain, ole supporting their party?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2014, 06:52:01 AM »
The Bye election had less at stake...and the core supporters....as Kamla put it..."one of us"...(during the bye election campaign) might not make that decision so easily.

Permutations possible: Run off...PNM eliminated in Round 1.....ILP vs UNC. Jack fights for his life knowing that one seat may very well be a deal maker.

Or UNC wins it outright....
Jack winning outright was when the ILP was the flavor of the month. I not sure how attractive it is now...especially with a lot of resignations...defections and persons who've done so have been claiming the ILP trying to put the PNM back in power...not sure if that a ploy as part of the defection or a reality.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2014, 07:07:56 AM »
The Bye election had less at stake...and the core supporters....as Kamla put it..."one of us"...(during the bye election campaign) might not make that decision so easily.

Permutations possible: Run off...PNM eliminated in Round 1.....ILP vs UNC. Jack fights for his life knowing that one seat may very well be a deal maker.

Or UNC wins it outright....
Jack winning outright was when the ILP was the flavor of the month. I not sure how attractive it is now...especially with a lot of resignations...defections and persons who've done so have been claiming the ILP trying to put the PNM back in power...not sure if that a ploy as part of the defection or a reality

Ding Ding Ding! Exactly what I am saying

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »

If not then something is honestly wrong with their thinking and most of them are supporting their party based on race of the leader rather than on performance.

Then that is basically putting support of a particular party before the better interest of your constituency and your country.

If voters really care about the best for their constituency they will always put supporting a top proven candidate who cares and will make things better for them above blind loyality for any particular political party.

The kind of thinking that you just suggested is the main reason why T&T is in the backward state it is now in despite all our resources that is being wasted by our corrupt and non-performing politicians.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:31:47 AM by Socapro »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »

Then that is basically putting support of a particular party before the better interest of your constituency and your country.

If voters really care about the best for their constituency they will always put supporting a top proven candidate who cares and will make things better for them above blind loyality for any particular political party.

The kind of thinking that you just suggested is the main reason why T&T is in the backward state it is now in despite all our resources that is being wasted by our corrupt and non-performing politicians.

The underlying point is that making partisan decisions occurs on all political fronts.

As long as you persist in engaging in the selective analysis of race (and corruption) in your commentary, expect continued scrutiny.

In closing, are you now genuinely on record as viewing Mr. Warner as a beacon of parliamentary representation and someone to whom you would entrust the reigns of governance and office? Or does the relevance of his candidacy merely fit conveniently into your view of the dynamics of race? To spare you blushes, we can omit the dynamics of corruption.

1]; } ?>