Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 169635 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »

If not then something is honestly wrong with their thinking and most of them are supporting their party based on race of the leader rather than on performance.

... or maybe just plain, ole supporting their party?

Then that is basically putting support of a particular party before the better interest of your constituency and your country.

If voters really care about the best for their constituency they will always put supporting a top proven candidate who cares and will make things better for them above blind loyality for any particular political party.

The kind of thinking that you just suggested is the main reason why T&T is in the backward state it is now in despite all our resources that is being wasted by our corrupt and non-performing politicians.

The underlying point is that making partisan decisions occurs on all political fronts.

As long as you persist in engaging in the selective analysis of race (and corruption) in your commentary, expect continued scrutiny.

In closing, are you now genuinely on record as viewing Mr. Warner as a beacon of parliamentary representation and someone to whom you would entrust the reigns of governance and office? Or does the relevance of his candidacy merely fit conveniently into your view of the dynamics of race? To spare you blushes, we can omit the dynamics of corruption.

It is not down to me my friend, it’s the view of people on the ground in Warner's constituency who regularly testify about what great work he has done and continueb to do to better their lives as their MP.
I live in London and not in Chaguanas West so I am not in a position to dispute JW's constituents views as generally being untrue.

With that in mind and with the fact that Warner won his constituency by the largest margin of any MP in parliament right now, if he is unable to win his constituency again for his party the ILP in 2015 then that will say a lot about the backward racial mentality of the majority of voters in that constituency where race and party might pre-historically come ahead of performance and common sense.

PS:
In summary the results of the next general elections will prove just how backward people in T&T really are or if alternatively the people in general are politically evolving and putting what is good for their constituency and the country ahead of blind loyalty for any particular political party simply because of your race matches the race of the party leader and those who started the party.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:32:23 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »

If not then something is honestly wrong with their thinking and most of them are supporting their party based on race of the leader rather than on performance.

Then that is basically putting support of a particular party before the better interest of your constituency and your country.

If voters really care about the best for their constituency they will always put supporting a top proven candidate who cares and will make things better for them above blind loyality for any particular political party.

The kind of thinking that you just suggested is the main reason why T&T is in the backward state it is now in despite all our resources that is being wasted by our corrupt and non-performing politicians.

The underlying point is that making partisan decisions occurs on all political fronts.

As long as you persist in engaging in the selective analysis of race (and corruption) in your commentary, expect continued scrutiny.

In closing, are you now genuinely on record as viewing Mr. Warner as a beacon of parliamentary representation and someone to whom you would entrust the reigns of governance and office? Or does the relevance of his candidacy merely fit conveniently into your view of the dynamics of race? To spare you blushes, we can omit the dynamics of corruption.

It is not down to me my friend, it’s the view of people on the ground in Warner's constituency who regularly testify about what great work he has done and continueb to do to better their lives as their MP.
I live in London and not in Chaguanas West so I am not in a position to dispute JW's constituents views as generally being untrue.

With that in mind and with the fact that Warner won his constituency by the largest margin of any MP in parliament right now, if he is unable to win his constituency again for his party the ILP in 2015 then that will say a lot about the backward racial mentality of the majority of voters in that constituency where race and party might pre-historically come ahead of performance and common sense.

PS:
In summary the results of the next general elections will prove just how backward people in T&T really are or if alternatively the people in general are politically evolving and putting what is good for their constituency and the country before blind loyalty to a particular political party.

In your view, should Mr. Warner play a role in the political life of the nation?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »

PS:
In summary the results of the next general elections will prove just how backward people in T&T really are or if alternatively the people in general are politically evolving and putting what is good for their constituency and the country before blind loyalty to a particular political party.

In your view, should Mr. Warner play a role in the political life of the nation?

If Jack wants to make his country of birth a better place for all and and has something positive to contribute and has already proven to his constituents that he can deliver value for money and make their lives better then why not?

Your and my view of Jack is irrelevant if he can do all those things.

Personally I would also like to see Jack Warner officially pay the TTFA the bonus money owing to the 2006 Warriors even though the PP government made a direct payment to the players which they had no authority to do to settle the money owing. But then again they say that part of the players bonus money funded the 2010 election campagin of the PPG so maybe they felt that it was time to directly pay the players back?
If the PPG had paid the money to the TTFA instead then the matter might now be legally settled and I would no longer have any bone to pick with Jack as the TTFA needs that money to settle with the players legally and clear their debts.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:35:56 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2014, 10:54:14 PM »

This writer nuh easy  :)

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/The-PMs-Source-of-Funds-Problem-286474361.html

In accounting terms, this multi-million dollar extravaganza is an off balance-sheet transaction by the Prime Minister that is not available for the scrutiny of either Parliament or the public.

Predictably, as the questions have surfaced, the PM’s story has evolved.
It used to be that the gifts and hampers were privately-financed donations to the Prime Minister’s Christmas gift-giving.
Now, under media questioning, it is spinning towards becoming an initiative of a committee of private individuals, headed by a business leader, with the Prime Minister cast in the role of disingenuous distributor.

Given the Government’s innovative capacity for deal-making, it could be both and neither at the same time and yet not change the simple fact that as long as the gift-giving is conducted in her capacity as Prime Minister, she becomes accountable to the people and must provide the relevant answers.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »

The Prime Minister face is everywhere from mugs, vouchers, billboards, placards, Government television programmes, then who is paying for all of this?

This election season will see wasteful spending

Bas slams Kamla billboards

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Bas-slams-Kamla-billboards-286734901.html

By Carolyn Kissoon

Former prime minister Basdeo Panday yesterday questioned why Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s photographs were being posted on billboards across the country.

This followed People’s National Movement (PNM) Senator Faris Al-Rawi’s statement that the proliferation of Persad-Bissessar’s face on so many things—mugs, vouchers, billboards, placards, Government television programmes—bore similarities to Saddam Hussein’s term of office in Iraq.

Panday said, “I must say that is the only Prime Minister that ever did that. And one wonders why? Is it an inferiority complex, is it that they know they are not performing as the people expected?”

He questioned whether the billboards were substitutes for the Government’s non-performance.

“There has to be a reason why people do things, you know,” he said.

Billboards bearing Persad-Bissessar’s image wishing T&T a Merry Christmas and a bright and prosperous New Year are being erected late at night along highway shoulders, and have been seen along the Solomon Hochoy and Uriah Butler highways.

Panday also called on the People’s Partnership Government to reveal the source of income in the Prime Minister’s Christmas toy drive.

“I believe they promised open Government and we expected open Government and open Government means being open. And being open means telling us where you got money to do things. Yes, I think they should reveal the source of the income...how do we know that it is not drugs money?” he said.

Panday said the Prime Minister was mandated to inform the public on the source of income for the toy drive and “it is not enough to say it is not Government’s money”.

Throughout the toy drive, Persad-Bissessar has maintained that taxpayers money was not being used to purchase toys for thousands of children. She said the toy drive was sponsored by corporate citizens but did not name them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:04:34 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
It is not illegal though!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2014, 08:45:24 PM »

Panday also called on the People’s Partnership Government to reveal the source of income in the Prime Minister’s Christmas toy drive.

“I believe they promised open Government and we expected open Government and open Government means being open. And being open means telling us where you got money to do things. Yes, I think they should reveal the source of the income...how do we know that it is not drugs money?” he said.

Panday said the Prime Minister was mandated to inform the public on the source of income for the toy drive and “it is not enough to say it is not Government’s money”.

Ah boy Bas leh we see if the Prime Minister cares

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2014, 01:03:44 AM »
It is not illegal though!

This is not transparent government and breaks yet another PPG election campaign promise that helped them win the 2010 general elections.

As Panday said, how do we know that the toys were not purchased with drug money or by someone/company who will be looking for future government favours/contracts as payback?

Also why is Kamla trying to replace Jesus as the focus for Christmas? She seems to be trying to emulate Sadam and other similar dictators. Very distasteful as well as being a big waste of taxpayers’ money.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:08:59 AM by Socapro »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2014, 08:15:10 AM »
Trinidad Express

NAUGHTY KAMLA
ELECTIONS COMING: Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

NO billboards can be erected on State land without the permission of the Works and Infrastructure Ministry. And its acting Director of Highways Colin Nakhid said yesterday that he gave no permission for the highway billboards bearing the image of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to be placed along the highways. Nakhid said only traffic safety signs were allowed alongside roads, and billboards could only be placed on private property without the State getting involved. He was responding to questions about the decision by Government to erect highway billboards bearing the face of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar wishing citizens a Merry Christmas and a bright and prosperous New Year. The billboards have been a topic of discussion by citizens, some in support of the gesture, and others who consider it a waste of taxpayers’ money. The billboards are costing taxpayers at least $60,000, but according to Communications Minister Vasant Bharath, it was not a significant dent in the national treasury. Nakhid said he was unaware if permission was given for the billboards to be placed in the strategic spots along the Solomon Hochoy and Uriah Butler highways since he had seen no official request. Nakhid told the Express: “No structures at all except traffic safety structures are allowed, first of all, on any highway. All billboards require the permission of the Director of Highways especially if they are on State property. Usually no permission is given unless they are traffic safety signs to be erected on the State property which is called the right of way. If it is private property, of course you can put up your signs because private property will be outside of the right of way.” Another Ministry official, who asked not to be named, said at least three similar billboards, one in Trincity, El Socorro and near to Caroni were observed, but the official could not confirm if they were built on the State’s reserve. The Express observed three billboards near the Golconda interchange in San Fernando and one in Couva near the Children’s Hospital under construction. The official said: “We do not allow any structure to be erected on the highway’s reserve for futuristic purposes and also for safety reasons. Any structure that goes on will need to have the approval of the Director of Highways. If someone hits them and gets injured, the people who are liable is the Ministry of Works because it is our reserve. If it is an illegal structure, we have the responsibility to remove them.” The ministry usually does routine checks to ensure the highway reserve that could span a distance of five metres and more is free of any illegal structure, the official said. “It is not that we target any one person or anything. Through our routine maintenance, we will go out and look and see if there is anything in the road reserve illegally and then we take the necessary measures,” the official said. “They (district engineers) do usual surveying of the highway, so when people are advertising for parties and stuff like that, we normally take them down because those are illegal structures. It is the same concept,” the official said. On Tuesday, former prime minister Basdeo Panday, questioned why Persad-Bissessar’s photographs were posted on the billboards. He said: “I must say that is the only Prime Minister that ever did that. And one wonders why?”

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »

Planning ahead

Where  elections present fears of vote tampering,,,,,,,,

Should we have international monitors (eg UN) for this coming election? .... I think so. Any views?????

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »

Planning ahead

Should we have international monitors (eg UN) for this coming election? .... I think so. Any views?????

Yep rumors bout missing machine that print ballots. In TNT where there is smoke there is fire.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Moonilal: PP will be back for a second term
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »
Moonilal: PP will be back for a second term
Published: Sunday, December 28, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

In spite of the several missteps and other negative aspects of the People’s Partnership Government for the four years so far, Housing and Urban Development Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal is confident the party will be returned for a second term. Moonilal, who indicated they were very heartened by the views of the people and the national community on the matter, said the party plans to initiate a very strong campaign for the 2015 general election soon.

He was critical of what he termed the intellectual dishonesty of the Opposition People’s National Movement, and claimed that the PNM was bent on destabilising the Government from day one. On allegations that some people were falsely collecting money on the pretext of representing the Housing Development Corporation, he stressed he had zero tolerance for anyone carrying out such illegal activities.

Q: Dr Moonilal, this People’s Partnership administration has been experiencing a rather rough ride for most of its four years in office. Why has the Opposition PNM been allowed to take the head start in the 2015 general election stakes?
 A: (In a relaxed mode at his Debe, south Trinidad, constituency office on Tuesday afternoon) The PP political directorate has been extremely busy with the management of the Government and the affairs of the country and from day one, the PNM has politicised several national issues, they are campaigning and that is all they have to do.
 Soon, of course, we will initiate a very strong campaign and we are very heartened by the views of the people and the national community that we could be returned for a second term.

This rough ride, was it a question of the newness of most of the Government?
 I think the PNM decided from the moment we entered office to destabilise the administration and...

No! No! Dr Moonilal, isn’t that taking it a bit too far...destabilising…and isn’t the Opposition part of our democratic process?
 (Rocking back in his hair with a serious countenance) The PNM has behaved as the PNM can. You know it is in their DNA to destabilise any other government in office with their policy of non-cooperation, of obstruction in some cases, which have led to discontent over several policies and law making in Parliament. One example of this is the procurement legislation where they voted for it in the Senate but did not support it in the Lower House.

Would these missteps by members of the Government overshadow the PP’s achievements during the critical period in 2015?
 Clevon, I want to say there is a certain amount of intellectual dishonesty on the part of the PNM leadership and the expression of that dishonesty is in the level of their hypocrisy. All governments, regardless of administration, would make mistakes, errors in judgment.

The issues is what do you do when you believe something is not right, and we must be measured as well with what we have done when we believe things were not right. Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar exerted strong leadership when she believed something was not right.

What about the allegation that the Prime Minister is not in charge of her Cabinet?
 (A cynical laugh) That is so far from the truth as the record would show where she took firm and decisive action when the occasion warranted such. As Leader of the House in the House of Representatives, I can tell you that no decisions were taken without the authority of the Prime Minister.

So that her level of toughness is something that all Cabinet members could speak to. She would not tolerate slackness and is extremely adamant on the objective for ministers to work harder to deliver on the critical needs of the people.

Some people openly wonder how she is able to resolutely perform her functions in spite of her health challenges? 
 Her health concerns are well known. She has never made a secret of that matter but that is part of her openness and level of transparency in dealing with the public. Later in life, I may consider when I do my book writing a few pages well on the experience of working with a female boss.

Is she your first woman boss?
 Well, Clevon, that’s my second. I have been married 11 years now (loud laughter).

Mrs Persad-Bissessar’s latest dictum to her Cabinet spoke of ministers avoiding arrogance and the use of flashing blue lights. Was she on solid ground when she made that admonishment?
 Well, the Prime Minister’s injunction from day one was to serve the people and in so doing, a minister or any other public official cannot do so if you have an arrogance about yourself and your office.

The fact that she was moved to renew that injunction as you have indicated, does it mean you all were not taking cognisance of that early caution?
 I don’t think it is a case of officials in totality. I think it was a timely reminder of the humility that one needs to conduct their affairs in the right and proper manner. In this Government, several ministers over the past four years did conduct themselves in a manner that was unbecoming. There was a time in this country when a certain minister rode elevators by himself and the public had to be thrown out for the minister’s sole use.

Dr Moonilal, if we should look at your performance as the minister with responsibility for housing, how come we are still hearing the accusation from the Opposition that this regime has not built a single house over the last four-and-a-half years?
 Clevon, this is another deliberate fallacy being peddled by the PNM and that is the height of dishonesty that I spoke about earlier. We have built about 7,000 new housing units since we came into office (He rattled off these housing estates which are located in several areas throughout the country). We have built but what we also had to do was spend almost $100 million on repairing the bad work done on some of these projects built by the PNM in its last term in office.

We are giving out 1,000 units during this Christmas period and part of that are those estates that we have had to finish. Clevon, it is no secret that Las Alturas, in Morvant, is the most dramatic example of the PNM’s really “collapso” housing policy.

What are your getting at?
 Listen, there is a housing project in Central for example which they built over a gas line, which is under the housing estate, and this means we now have to redo that estate, change the direction of roads and so remove some of the units.

There are other projects which were built in a shoddy manner which cannot be distributed at this time and some of them are in the court for adjudication. And, Clevon, a related problem with this so-called housing policy of the PNM is the crime that the PNM created in this sector where they created ghettoes...

Dr Moonilal, I would like if you could please go no further attacking the PNM with these wild accusations…
 (Interrupting in an angry tone)
 Clevon, I told you before that the PNM is intellectually bankrupt and dishonest, and you are not allowing me the opportunity to speak to that!
 Today the PNM is a prisoner of a small clique in Port-of-Spain that has taken control of Rowley, and he is being fully supported by one or two influential people who have taken control of the PNM and they are determining the policies of the party.

Mr Minister, let us not go there, this is something for the campaign trail. Can I ask you one final question? (Moonilal cooling down). Why should anyone vote for the PP this time around?
 Briefly, Clevon, our record is second to none in providing good governance of which you don’t have the space to mention one tenth of our achievements under the astute leadership of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, and for which we will be returned for a second term.

Last and final (laughs)...why should we not vote the PP?
Why should someone not vote PP? I could think of no good reason but, of course, our detractors mesmerised by our achievements, and the mischief makers led by an intellectually dishonest PNM leadership will seek to portray mistakes and the biggest one that was unmasked was the e-mail disgrace concocted by the PNM.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »

Dooks and Carolyn will not be contesting their seats next election. It's best the rest of COP do the same   :)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2015, 11:59:34 PM »

Dooks and Carolyn will not be contesting their seats next election. It's best the rest of COP do the same   :)

Yuh making it sound like it was made for them. Dooks maybe....one of his points for Carolyn's campaign was that if she was leader he would consider going up again. But both were forced out.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Carolyn-not-out-of-election-race-288162431.html

San Fernando West MP Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan yesterday made it clear that she is not out of the election race to defend her seat.

The Congress of the People (COP) member also criticised party officials for the manner in which information was supposedly being issued and what she called the “misinformation campaign” with respect to her candidacy.

“I wish to publicly register my disappointment with the way this matter is being handled, especially since the information being presented to and circulated in the media is unrepresentative of the truth,’’ said Seepersad-Bachan in a statement.

She stated categorically that at no point in time was she invited - whether via phone, voicemail, e-mail or text message - to any meeting with the political leader, the chairman, the National Executive or the San Fernando West Constituency Executive, to “discuss my interest in the candidacy for the constituency of San Fernando West”.

It was reported that COP general secretary Clyde Weatherhead had issued letters to both Seepersad-Bachan and Tunapuna MP Winston Dookeran informing them that they had until November 25, 2014 to respond to the request for a meeting.

In that letter, the COP executive said since the two did not respond to previous letters “the party will be constrained to assume that it is your intention not to seek re-election or be considered as a candidate in the general election 2015”.

Seepersad-Bachan said she has had discussions with COP leader Prakash Ramadhar over the past few weeks on issues involving the work of both ministries, and other party matters.

She noted that as of yesterday, the COP was yet to announce a screening committee and the start of screening for the 2015 elections.

She said that negotiations within the People’s Partnership for seats are yet to begin, and the results of those negotiations are still to be determined.

“Indeed, it is quite disturbing that letters issued by the general secretary of the party, Mr Clyde Weatherhead, pertaining to this matter would have been leaked to the media. Furthermore, the content of the referenced correspondence does not include any invitation to a meeting with the COP hierarchy,’’ stated Seepersad-Bachan who stressed that she remained loyal to the party’s founding principles.

“As chairman, I was diligent to ensure that the COP’s structures were strengthened and allowed for respectful inclusion of all opinions and contributors, and worked hard to create appropriate dispute resolution mechanisms,’’ stated Seepersad-Bachan.

“The most appropriate way to deal with matters such as this involving Ministers, Members of Parliament, office holders and founding members of the party normally would be in face-to-face meetings, and one-on-one discussions,’’ she stated.

“Therefore, I find it difficult to believe that anyone in the COP would treat with such officers in a manner that dishonours their service, and shows scant courtesy to the party’s processes and especially to the membership, as well as to the expectations that Trinidad and Tobago has of the COP,” she added.

Seepersad-Bachan stated she was a founding member and had served diligently as a deputy political leader, chairman of the party, and as a member of its committees, as well as a Member of Parliament and a Minister of Government.

“In each of these roles, I always strove to be a worthy representative of the COP’s interest and vision for Trinidad and Tobago,’’ she stated.

Seepersad-Bachan emphasised her commitment and devotion to party and her constituents.

“My commitment to my party, my constituency and the People’s Partnership speaks for itself, and will continue to do so,’’ she stated.

Kamla wanted Prakash as COP lead because he have ZERO spine or testicular fortitude. Now he eating chain up to consolidate his position. Most likely they go give them all the marginals that they know their chances slim...and give Prakash St Augustine...which he has and safe. Is the same thing they did in 2010.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If you vote PP, I done with T&T
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2015, 10:35:40 PM »
If you vote PP, I done with TT
Friday, January 16 2015 (T&T Newsday)

OPPOSITION People’s National Movement (PNM) General Election candidate for Mayaro Clarence Rambharat on Wednesday night told supporters if the country votes to keep the People’s Partnership (PP) in office, he will “wash my hands” of Trinidad and Tobago.

The meeting followed Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley’s second walkabout in the constituency currently held by UNC MP Winston ‘‘Gypsy’’ Peters. Rambharat told supporters he left his job at the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) in Canada on May 20, to work on getting the Opposition back in power.

“I left my job in Canada. I haven’t worked since. My time has been dedicated to getting the PNM back into office. I am 8,000 miles away from my wife and kids. If we lose this election, I wash my hands of this country! If we lose, I will not have a Plan B for you...”

In an attempt to emphasise the crucialness of removing the PP, Rambharat said the Government has done a lousy job of running the country.

“The UNC is a relentless campaign machinery and a relentless mischief machinery...This Government will do anything.. We’ve got an obligation to recover every cent of money for our young people. If the stories are true about six houses and two $20 million houses, then we need to know and recover it,” Rambharat said.

Rambharat was approached by Rowley in December 2013, to join the PNM team. “In December 2013, Rowley approached me and said I would have his personal support.”

Rambharat said he feels comfortable in representing Mayaro in a PNM government and said no one can represent that constituency better than he. “As a candidate, I’m comfortable with what lies in front of me. No one can represent Mayaro better than me.

I won’t waste my time talking about the Government because air time expensive and I want to talk about me.

“Dr Rowley has endorsed our East Coast Renewal Project. Everytime Devant Maharaj stands up in the Senate and attacks me, I have to remind them of the 1992, tripartite report where Dr Rowley was able to bring together all elements of the Sugar Industry, wipe away Caroni’s billion dollar debt and give that company a fresh start. And not long after, Mr Panday came into Government and we know what happened,” Rambharat said.

“A PNM government will talk about agriculture, we have to talk about consumption. We have to talk about where you get your food. And when I sit in a PNM government, I am going to require that my Navet dasheen, my Mayaro fish and my Mayaro coconut water be on the plate of every government minister,” Rambharat said.

Rambharat admitted that winning the votes of Mayaro residents is difficult and he has a hard time especially when he comes into Poole. He urged the PNM brigade to work harder to ensure that in the end, the party succeeds in getting the 1,500 UNC voters in Poole to support him.

“When I get into Poole, I have problems. I see Diego Martin West, Pointe-a-Pierre and Tabaquite (referring to those present at the PNM meeting).

“But I have a more serious battle here. I’ve walked this constituency and people cuss meh.” He said once Mayaro goes to the PNM the party will win the general election.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2015, 02:57:11 AM »
SAY SORRY, ROWLEY
By SEAN DOUGLAS (Newsday).

ATTORNEY GENERAL (AG) Anand Ramlogan intends taking all the money he could get in damages from Opposition Leader, Dr Keith Rowley, for libel in the “emailgate” affair.

He is calling on Rowley to apologise for the defamation following a ruling by the High Court in his favour after the Opposition Leader failed to file a defence in the time allotted. The court is now to sit to assess damages.

“I call on Dr Rowley to apologise to the Prime Minister and myself for making scandalous allegations,” Ramlogan said yesterday shortly after declaring a legal victory over Rowley in the High Court. He was making an appearance at the post-Cabinet media briefing at the Office of the Prime Minister, St Clair yesterday.

When asked if he would accept an apology in lieu of damages, Ramlogan scoffed, “I’ll be seeking the same amount of money, but he should apologise because he damn wrong.”

The High Court yesterday said the damages will be assessed in a sitting before Master Martha Alexander at 9 am on March 10, he revealed.

Ramlogan said he expects the quantum of damages awarded to be “quite substantial”, especially given factors such as who had uttered the defamation, when it was stated, the number of times, and the manner.

“These are some very serious allegations,” he said. Ramlogan said Justice Frank Seepersad had last December 10 given Rowley an extension to file his submissions but his failure to do so by January 7 had resulted in yesterday’s judgment in default of a defence in favour of the AG. He said emailgate had seen serious but false allegations made against top ministers including himself; Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar; Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal; Minister of National Security Gary Griffith; and Works Minister Dr Suruj Rambachan.

Ramlogan said the affair had been highly suspicious because if Rowley truly believed in a plan to harm a journalist and to interfere with the job of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), he had clearly failed in his duty to act promptly to preempt such crimes. Welcoming the court ruling, he said, “The outrageous, outlandish and absurd claims were rejected in their entirety.”

He said the emailgate affair was as false as the accusations that he, Ramlogan, had made racist remarks at the TT mission in New York which he said he had never visited, chiding, “This is a pattern of conduct by the Opposition Leader.” Clear-cut errors in the documents presented during the emailgate affair meant that Rowley’s utterances should never have been made, said the AG. He alleged the emailgate fiasco had no basis in fact but was just a concoction to boost a flagging political career. He described emailgate as “a dastardly lie for political gain”, in which Rowley had eventually put his tail between his legs and scampered off.

“Dr Rowley’s back is creaking beneath mounting evidence to show it is a fabrication,” added Ramlogan.

Griffith chimed in to say that the emailgate documents had incredulously purported to show him being present at three different locations in the world at the same time, quipping such a feat was impossible unlike a fantastical scene from Star Trek, “Beam me up, Scottie”.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2015, 05:31:42 PM »
On the TV series the X-files, there was an gooey, nasty, black, oily substance that used to invade people's bodies and cause all kinda havoc.....our goodly AG does remind of the gooey, nasty, black, oily substance..... :puking:

COURT MIX-UP
Only AG and his attorney were informed

By Ria Taitt Political Editor

The High Court erred in the matter of the emailgate lawsuit. And yesterday it admitted to its error of failing to pass on critical information to Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley’s legal team. The information was only given directly via e-mail to the Attorney General Anand Ramlogan as well as to his attorney, Richard Jagai.

Attorney for Rowley, Faris Al-Rawi yesterday produced judicial confirmation of this communication gap “in the judicial administrative process” at a news conference yesterday.

He released to the media the e-mail sent to him by Stacy Seemungal, Judicial Officer to Justice Seepersad, in which she stated that Justice Seepersad had made a determination in Rowley’s legal team application for an extension to file Rowley’s defence in the emailgate lawsuit “without a hearing in Chambers on 16 December, 2014”. The Judge had given the date of January 7 as the deadline, to file that defence. That information however was not sent to Al-Rawi, Seemungal admitted.

In the e-mail, which is dated January 16, 2015 at 11.22 a.m., Seemungal said, “The Application and the Draft Order were then passed to Ms Pariag, a Judicial Support Officer attached to Justice Seepersad’s team to do the Order and inform the parties that the Order was granted. She inadvertently and without any direction from the Judge e-mailed the claimant (Ramlogan). She also sent an e-mail to the Claimant’s attorney at law, but failed to either call or inform the Defendant’s attorney at law (Al Rawi) of the terms of the Judge’s Order...In the circumstances there is no information on the (Ramlogan vs Rowley) file that indicates that the Defendant (Rowley) was informed of the Judges Order”.

Al-Rawi said the e-mail certified that Rowley was not apprised of the events that transpired. He also stated that in all of his years of practice as an attorney he had never seen an e-mail issued directly to a litigant (ie Ramlogan).

He said the Rowley legal team would be calling on the Registrar of the Supreme Court to conduct an investigation into this matter and to speak to the manner in which these events unfolded because it constitutes “a grave embarrassment to the administration of justice and puts the Leader of the Opposition at an extreme disadvantage”.

This was Al-Rawi’s second news conference, since Ramlogan’s claim of judicial victory in the emailgate defamation lawsuit at the post-Cabinet news conference on Thursday, in which he said Rowley had been ordered to pay him (Ramlogan). The judgment was given in default of the filing of a defence.

Al-Rawi said all the information that he (Al-Rawi) provided at yesterday’s news conference would form part of an affidavit to be given by Rowley’s team, as it seeks to set aside the judgment of the court.

However, he said he wished to state categorically the Rowley legal team and Rowley himself wished to make no aspersions against the judiciary itself. “We are deeply concerned that the administrative part of the judiciary has found itself in such difficulty... And that this has constituted an injury to Dr Rowley so far as the Attorney General was bold enough to go about making irresponsible statements that he had scored a major victory against Dr Rowley,” he said.

Al-Rawi claimed the Attorney General had betrayed his constitutional responsibility to act with decorum, in making sure that the administration of justice in civil and criminal matters is carried out with fairness and equity. “It is the protocol amongst attorneys that we copy any correspondence written to a judicial support officer or the Registrar or anyone acting in the Court, that we copy all communications to the other side. That is a requirement. In this case the titular head of the Bar, the Attorney General...clothed with the constitutional responsibility to ensure fairness in civil and criminal proceedings, went to the population at the post-Cabinet conference and made very bold allegations against Dr Rowley...implying that he had no defence and demanded an apology from Dr Rowley.

Yesterday Al-Rawi, on the issue of an apology said: “Apologise for what. That (question) doesn’t even deserve an answer.

“We called upon the Attorney General to retract his irresponsible statements and uphold the standards of the inner Bar. He ought to have known that we did not receive this Order of Justice Frank Seepersad. He knows that he quite improperly received the e-mail sent to him by Ms Pariag....He knows that he ought to have made enquiries as to whether we had received the order or not,” Al-Rawi stated.

Ramlogan last year, filed a defamation case against Rowley for allegations made relating to alleged e-mail exchanges between top office holders, which pointed, among other things, to an alleged conspiracy against the Director of Public Prosecutions, a plot to harm journalist Denyse Renne, the payment of monies to certain persons for the freedom of a person,

Al-Rawi said the Rowley legal team filed an application on October 31 for an extension for the filing of Rowley’s defence. At the time the matter was to be heard by Justice V Kokaram on December 2. However Kokaram recused himself. The Rowley legal team was not informed that the matter had been reassigned to a new judge (Seepersad) and that an Order had been made by him granting the extension and stipulating that the defence must be filed by January 7, 2015.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/COURT-MIX-UP-288889891.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »
On the TV series the X-files, there was an gooey, nasty, black, oily substance that used to invade people's bodies and cause all kinda havoc.....our goodly AG does remind of the gooey, nasty, black, oily substance..... :puking:
Fella makes me feel to throw-up everytime I see and hear him with his BS!!
Biggest fraud we ever had for an AG!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »
I find it does have real accidental and unexpected mishaps when the AG involved.

Al-Rawi claimed the Attorney General had betrayed his constitutional responsibility to act with decorum,

He knows he supposed to act with decorum? Cause a big lawyer like that supposed to understand the process and the obvious shortfalls.

Anyhow.....wha again Google need to do to give their findings? Has the new IC chairman been appraised of the case and the findings which they await...as well as the scope of the request made? When Google planning to get back to us?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:29:29 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
If you vote PP, I done with TT
Friday, January 16 2015 (T&T Newsday)

OPPOSITION People’s National Movement (PNM) General Election candidate for Mayaro Clarence Rambharat on Wednesday night told supporters if the country votes to keep the People’s Partnership (PP) in office, he will “wash my hands” of Trinidad and Tobago.

The meeting followed Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley’s second walkabout in the constituency currently held by UNC MP Winston ‘‘Gypsy’’ Peters. Rambharat told supporters he left his job at the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) in Canada on May 20, to work on getting the Opposition back in power.

“I left my job in Canada. I haven’t worked since. My time has been dedicated to getting the PNM back into office. I am 8,000 miles away from my wife and kids. If we lose this election, I wash my hands of this country! If we lose, I will not have a Plan B for you...”

In an attempt to emphasise the crucialness of removing the PP, Rambharat said the Government has done a lousy job of running the country.

“The UNC is a relentless campaign machinery and a relentless mischief machinery...This Government will do anything.. We’ve got an obligation to recover every cent of money for our young people. If the stories are true about six houses and two $20 million houses, then we need to know and recover it,” Rambharat said.

Rambharat was approached by Rowley in December 2013, to join the PNM team. “In December 2013, Rowley approached me and said I would have his personal support.”

Rambharat said he feels comfortable in representing Mayaro in a PNM government and said no one can represent that constituency better than he. “As a candidate, I’m comfortable with what lies in front of me. No one can represent Mayaro better than me.

I won’t waste my time talking about the Government because air time expensive and I want to talk about me.

“Dr Rowley has endorsed our East Coast Renewal Project. Everytime Devant Maharaj stands up in the Senate and attacks me, I have to remind them of the 1992, tripartite report where Dr Rowley was able to bring together all elements of the Sugar Industry, wipe away Caroni’s billion dollar debt and give that company a fresh start. And not long after, Mr Panday came into Government and we know what happened,” Rambharat said.

“A PNM government will talk about agriculture, we have to talk about consumption. We have to talk about where you get your food. And when I sit in a PNM government, I am going to require that my Navet dasheen, my Mayaro fish and my Mayaro coconut water be on the plate of every government minister,” Rambharat said.

Rambharat admitted that winning the votes of Mayaro residents is difficult and he has a hard time especially when he comes into Poole. He urged the PNM brigade to work harder to ensure that in the end, the party succeeds in getting the 1,500 UNC voters in Poole to support him.

“When I get into Poole, I have problems. I see Diego Martin West, Pointe-a-Pierre and Tabaquite (referring to those present at the PNM meeting).

“But I have a more serious battle here. I’ve walked this constituency and people cuss meh.” He said once Mayaro goes to the PNM the party will win the general election.

From Clarence Rambharat Facebook page. Clarence says  "Very simple. I have not said to my constituents I will leave T&T if I lose Mayaro. In fact in 30 minutes I outlined my commitment to Mayaro and said I have no Plan B. Only a plan to represent Mayaro in Parliament in 2015."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:54:54 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »

Kamla wanted Prakash as COP lead because he have ZERO spine or testicular fortitude. Now he eating chain up to consolidate his position. Most likely they go give them all the marginals that they know their chances slim...and give Prakash St Augustine...which he has and safe. Is the same thing they did in 2010.

You believe St Augustine is safe for Prakash? Ah doh believe dat is the vibes there right now. St Augustine like other traditional PNM seats that are held by COP are leaning towards the PNM.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2015, 05:53:51 AM »

You believe St Augustine is safe for Prakash? Ah doh believe dat is the vibes there right now. St Augustine like other traditional PNM seats that are held by COP are leaning towards the PNM.

St Augustine was never a traditional PNM seat. It was a UNC safe seat. It was previously held by Vasant Bharath and he vacated it for Prakash.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2015, 12:49:07 PM »

St Augustine was never a traditional PNM seat. It was a UNC safe seat. It was previously held by Vasant Bharath and he vacated it for Prakash.

St. Augustine spread across the highway going down Curepe/Valsayn South ent?  Dais why Dooks lose in 2007.  He had the seat until the votes started coming in from across de highway..........
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »

You right St Augustine was never a traditional PNM seat. I was thinking Tunapuna as I typed the previous response.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2015, 01:02:44 PM »

St. Augustine spread across the highway going down Curepe/Valsayn South ent?  Dais why Dooks lose in 2007.  He had the seat until the votes started coming in from across de highway..........

More like vote splitting....which legislation has been drafted to prevent.  ;D

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2015, 08:48:39 PM »
Questions:

How do you win a  'Fair; election in TnT today?

How do you educate the masses about  voting for sound moral ethical educated and competent candidates as oppose to ethnic affinities, corrupt  and baseless promises with payoffs?

How many voters vote with the old paradigm of putting one ah dey own first?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »

Planning ahead

Yeah I am thinking this may have to be done to ensure their is no voter tampering. Seeing how political parties can be desperate to do anything to hold on to power. Also if most of the public believe an election is stolen this could cause chaos.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »

Planning ahead

Yeah I am thinking this may have to be done to ensure their is no voter tampering. Seeing how political parties can be desperate to do anything to hold on to power. Also if most of the public believe an election is stolen this could cause chaos.

Yeah, sounds like this will be required this time round.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2015, 01:09:44 AM »
PNM picks Dillon for Point Fortin

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2015-01-24/pnm%E2%80%88picks-dillon-point

Retired Maj Gen Edmund Dillon was given the all clear to contest the Point Fortin seat for the People’s National Movement (PNM) following the screening of four possible candidates at the party’s South Regional office, San Fernando, on Thursday night.

Candidates from three other constituencies in the South also received the screening committee’s approval. They are:
• Clifford Rambharose for Oropouche West.
• Senator Avinash Singh for Caroni Central.
•Dr Lovell Francis for Moruga/Tableland.

The three candidates for San Fernando East—Christopher Chinapoo, Kenny Phillips and Eber Steele-Attong—were rejected. The executive was given a February 6 deadline to return with new nominees. The executive of the Couva North constituency, who were also called into a meeting following discrepancies uncovered with one of their potential candidates, were also asked to return on February 6 with other more suitable nominees.

Dillon replaces current MP Paula Gopee-Scoon who was not among the nominees. The T&T Guardian understands that while Gopee-Scoon had the support of the party groups, Dillon had the support of the executive.  As Point Fortin councilor Peter Bharat, the second candidate to be screened emerged from before the committee, he grabbed his stuff, shook hands with Dillon and appeared to be congratulating him and made his departure from the venue.

Asked if he was leaving before all the candidates were screened and the results announced, Bharat said it did not make any sense sticking around, as the political leader Dr Keith Rowley had indicated to him this may not be his time. Kenwyn Hackshaw and Jo-Anne Bowen Delysia were the two other unsuccessful nominees.

In an interview after his nomination, Dillon congratulated Gopee-Scoon for her achievements and committed to consulting with her to better understand the challenges and issues she encountered during her tenure and build from the foundation she has laid. He said there was never any doubt in his mind that he would have been given the nod to contest the seat.

“I approach everything with confidence and with the Lord above me. So I had the Lord on my side, confidence based on my prayers and my own confidence so there was no doubt in my mind,” he added. Dillon said his first order of business was to understand and move Point Fortin from being a place of problems to one of solutions. He committed to addressing the issue of the long outstanding Point Fortin hospital and the diversification of the energy-based constituency.

“Point Fortin as you know is based on oil and gas and if you understand the world, there is a drastic drop, so we have to look at how we can diversify the economy, looking at places like Cedros and Icacos, fishing villages also known for agriculture. We have to look at alternatives to the oil and gas economy of Point Fortin,” he said.

Dillon, who has been in the employ of Atlantic LNG following his retirement from the Defence Force some two years ago, said he brought to the party not only strength in security matters but also knowledge  of the energy and other sectors. About his evolution into the political arena Dillon admitted it has also been one of his goals.

“We always jokingly said in the military, there are two professions you will go into when you retire, either politics or religion. I have not ruled out the latter and I am getting into the first at this point in time,” he said. With the exception of 1986 election when the National Alliance for Reconstruction secured a unprecedented 33-3 landslide at the polls, the PNM has maintained its stronghold in Point Fortin.

At the opening of the UNC Regional Office in San Fernando earlier this week, co-ordinator of the Point Fortin constituency Marlene Coudray said that was one of three seats her government intended to wrest from the PNM as it made its  re-election bid. Dillion responded to this challenge.

“We are in this election battle for victory at all cost. The question is one of mobilisation, understanding the issues and challenges of Point Fortin and developing a strategic plan working together. We are going to win this election for Point Fortin,” he said.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2015, 06:17:24 AM »
Keep in mind this is a NACTA poll.

PM Leads in Nacta Poll...

..popular for charisma, compassion for less fortunate
Published:
Sunday, January 25, 2015
A poll conducted by the North American Caribbean Teachers Association (Nacta) has shown that Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar still enjoys an approval rating of 51 per cent among party members and supporters, five years after being elected UNC political leader. Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley’s rating trailed closely behind with 49 per cent.

The poll revealed that the PM’s popularity was based on her charisma and compassion for the less fortunate, while Rowley’s ceaseless efforts to hold the Government accountable on various missteps have earned him some points. The poll, conducted last week by Dr Vishnu Bisram, is based on findings obtained from interviews with 470 respondents.

Whereas the survey revealed that Persad-Bissessar remains the most popular political figure in the UNC, as well as the governing coalition party, supporters insist they are turned off by several of the PP’s incumbents and government ministers. However, those who supported the PP Government in the 2010 general election indicated that they remained committed to the PM’s re-election, saying neither the PNM nor the ILP were viable alternatives.

However, supporters were cautiously optimistic about the PM’s re-election chances, as the poll showed she faced a tough battle in the marginal constituencies of St Joseph, Barataria and Moruga/Tableland. Earlier polls showed the PP Government trailing the PNM in the Toco/Sangre Grande, Arima, D’Abadie-O’Meara, Lopinot/Bon Air West, Tunapuna, and San Fernando West seats.

Voters felt that ministers Vasant Bharath, Fazal Karim, Dr Tim Gopeesingh, Dr Roodal Moonilal, Gary Griffith, Dr Suruj Rambachan and Winston Dookeran were performing on the job, while Larry Howai and Emmanuel George received poor performance ratings.

1]; } ?>