Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 168552 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2015, 09:32:12 AM »
Same NACTA poll that said the PP would have won Tobago elections

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »
Allyuh honestly believe in polls?!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2015, 10:00:29 AM »
Allyuh honestly believe in polls?!

The only polls I believe in are the North and the South poles regarding the fact that they are both very cold places where I don't want to go.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
Same NACTA poll that said the PP would have won Tobago elections
Look allyuh google NACTA and see who is behind it? this is an organization of two or three with neither credibility nor legitimacy.  Why would an organization that is based in NYC care about polls in tnt.....how are your polls conducted? what is your sample data age, location? or is it their facebook friends they're using as a sample.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2015, 08:05:18 AM »
Ah yes. This will be interesting

After months of uncertainty, former prime minister and political leader of the People’s National Movement (PNM), Patrick Manning, yesterday told his constituents he intends to offer himself as the candidate for the San Fernando East seat in this year’s general elections.

He made the comment to lusty applause during a constituency meeting at the Pleasantville Community Centre yesterday.

In announcing that he was giving notice to all party groups within the constituency to nominate him, Manning said his health and his speech, “although not the best,” had improved significantly.

“Accordingly, in light of the improvement in my health and my continued dedication to the PNM and the people of our beloved constituency, I wish to advise that I will make myself available for nomination for the PNM San Fernando East constituency.”

He added: “There is only one leader, he is Keith Rowley. To be a good leader you have to be a follower,” said Manning, who has held the seat for 43 years.

Manning initially failed to meet the party’s December 22 nomination deadline because he was due for a checkup with his doctors. However, he got a second chance when the par screening committee rejected the three candidates who offered themselves at last Thursday’s screening session
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »
If the PNM accepts Manning as a candidate for Sando East I expect the UNC to use this as ammunition in their election campaign. They will bring the disingenuous rhetoric of PNM and Rowley still being committed to Manning ideas and proposals despite the country voting against these ideas and proposals in 2010. The PNM must plan to counter this strategy.

On the other hand if the PNM does not nominate Manning when it is clear he is wanted by his constituency then lies another problem between the PNM and the constituents of Sando East.

My opinion is Manning should not run for any political office. He has served his country very well and can now be an elder statement for his country and the PNM as a retired politician. (But this is just my opinion and Manning like any other politician has the right to run for political office)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:03:40 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/what-Patrick-Manning-said-289896981.html

This is the address given by former Prime Minister and member of Parliament for San Fernando East, Patrick Manning as a constituency meeting in Plesantville on Monday night, in which he gave supporters an update on his medical condition, and disclosed his decision to sign the consent form to be nominated for screening -

Chairman of the Constituency of San Fernando East
Mr Vice Chairman
Mme Secretary
Members of the Executive
Area Managers
Chairmen and Vice Chairmen of Party Groups
Party Members of the Constituency
Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen

When last we met, at this very location, I relayed to you that I would be prepared to consider a review of my position in respect of electoral politics in the following circumstances:
My Health: that is to say, I needed to undergo a medical assessment to determine my preparedness and wherewithal to accept the assignment
Your Support: that is to say, if the members of the Constituency of San Fernando East still wished that I continue to represent them, then I would be prepared to give serious consideration to a nomination.

For the purpose of the medical examination, I contemplated THREE doctors: one in Cuba, one in Washington and my own doctor, here in San Fernando.
Initially, I had decided to go to Cuba but I recognised that there were potential political implications for any assessment made by the Cuban doctors. I did not wish to create any such implication so I decided against going to Cuba.
My private doctor from Washington, a national of this country, who was due to visit Trinidad for the holiday period, arrived in Trinidad on the 24th December, 2014. I actually saw her on the December 29th. My local doctor from Trinidad also provided his input. As a result, I now have the advice which I sought.
My Washington based doctor has advised that, in her opinion, I have made tremendous strides but that I am not completely healed. My Trinidad doctor has indicated, that, in his view, my readiness is a matter for me; nobody would be able to make a categorical declaration on whether I should or shouldn't go. For this doctor, that matter is up to me and me alone.
You will be aware that I was unable to meet the Party's December 22nd deadline for nomination as my request for an extension was not accomodated. It was my stated intention to address the Contituency on January 2nd, 2015. However, in the circumstances as they evolved, any announcement on that date would have been futile as the nomination process was, by then, already closed.
Had I addressed the Constituency on January 2nd, it was my original intention to advise that notwithstanding my longstanding and unwavering commitment to people and constituency of San Fernando East, I would have had to bow out and recommend a successor. However, that was not to be.
As the new year turned, I observed that I have made tremendous, dramatic, positive strides with my health. And it continues. My main concern has been my speech. But my speech today is far better than it has been in the recent past. The way I feel now is leaps and bounds over how I felt even on January 2nd. In fact, on Saturday last, I met again with my doctor who was taken aback with the progress made since our previous visit. In short, the news on the health front, for me, is very, very good. I, too, am astonished.

There are people in Trinidad and Tobago, who are of the view that in the prevailing political climate, there must be a singleness of purpose between our Political Leader Dr Rowley and myself. They contend that in the absence of such accord, the PNM could be adversely affected. I wish to contribute and participate meaningfully in that solidarity.
Accordingly, in light of the improvement in my health and my continued dedication to the PNM and the people of our beloved constituency, I wish to advise that I will make myself available for nomination for the People's National Movement in the constituency of San Fernando East.
(I wish to present to the Constituency Chairman my signed consent form.)
Ladies and Gentlemen, as of now all we are doing is providing our agreement to be nominated. I will only be nominated if you, the members of the constituency wish for me to be nominated. That is a matter for you!
Thereafter, like any other prospective candidate, I will have to be screened, adjudicated upon by the Screening Committee and the Central Executive.
You must be clear that I am not the Political Leader. There is only one Leader. He is Keith Rowley. To be a good leader, you have to be a follower. There are well established procedures in our Party and like anyone else, I am subject to the arrangements of the PNM, its Leader and the Leadership.
And I beseech you to take note that my availbility is for the candidature for the office of Parliamentary Representative of San Fernando East. That is all!
As I close, I wish to thank all the people of San Fernando and the people of Trinidad and Tobago who have stood by me in my darkest hour... during the difficult days I spent in hospital in Trinidad and Washington and after I came back home and suffered three seizures, one of which took place at the constituency office itself. For all who supported with love, care and prayer, I thank you deeply.
I remain, with you, still and always committed to the constituents of San Fernando, the People's National Movement and the people of Trinidad and Tobago.
May God bless you.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »

Bourbon what is your opinion on this part of his speech?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/what-Patrick-Manning-said-289896981.html

There are people in Trinidad and Tobago, who are of the view that in the prevailing political climate, there must be a singleness of purpose between our Political Leader Dr Rowley and myself. They contend that in the absence of such accord, the PNM could be adversely affected. I wish to contribute and participate meaningfully in that solidarity.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »
... that final sentence excerpted from Mr. Manning's speech is genius.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »
... that final sentence excerpted from Mr. Manning's speech is genius.
Certainly is. Let's see how the party groups take it.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »
A true leader must know when to leave. Always liked Manning's visionary stance on things but politics is demanding on the mind and body, it would be disappointing to see him suffer any more than he has already done and remaining in the game gives life to that possibility.

The second reality is that given his history with the current political leader there will always be the undercurrents in the event of any disagreement. Which will be fodder for any movement against the party. Whoever forms the new government needs to focus on keeping the economy stable and take the country forward. No distractions, this situation is ripe for constant distractions.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2015, 10:58:08 PM »
Patos have competition for his seat. No disrespect to the Former PM but I would go ahead and choose Rondell Donawa to rep my Sando seat. He already has a support base in Sando. He is a young and intelligent leader who is already a local PNM politician for the last two years. Also if the PNM executive do not choose Manning I expect the media to blow this out of proportion to sell their headlines.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/4-rivals-take-on-Manning-290160461.html

Patrick Manning has com­petition. At least four contenders
have written to the San Fernando East constituency executive, expressing interest in being nominated to be screened for the seat which Manning has held for 44 years.
Rondell Donawa, councillor for Cocoyea/Tarouba, yesterday submitted his consent form to the PNM’s San Fernando East constituency office at 3 p.m.
Attorney and businessman Randall Mitchell, 35, a member of the San Fernando East constituency executive, confirmed he was seeking the nomination. Mitchell is the son of former Point Fortin mayor Victor Mitchell.
Former PNM councillor for Cocoyea/Tarouba Leslie Lynch also submitted a consent letter yesterday.Lynch, 57, is aTrinidad and Toba­go Electricity Commission (T&TEC) retiree who lives in Cocoyea and owns a construction business.
And Eber Steele Attong, one of the three nominees already screened for the San Fernando East seat and was rejected, is seeking a second screening opportunity.

Here is Donawa campaigning with the support of Manning during the 2013 local elections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBcN6mnjIxA

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:06:36 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »

Two interesting pieces from two veteran writers.

Raffique Shah on the PP wild ride to elections http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/A-wild-ride-to-elections-290438241.html

Selwyn Ryan criticizing Patrick Manning decision to run for political office again.  http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Manning-Again-290438451.html

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2015, 12:02:19 PM »
Can't post this as per normal but the gist is that a reshuffle is rumored.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Kamla-may-reshuffle-Cabinet-290442061.html?m=y&smobile=y

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2015, 01:55:20 PM »
AYE AYE WHA GOING ON HERE  :D

Dyer-Griffith: Time for the COP to get out

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Dyer-Time-for-the-COP-to-get-out-290660821.html

Congress of the People (COP) chairman Nicole Dyer-Griffith is expected to meet political leader, Prakash Ramadhar, today to discuss Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar's decision to revoke the appointment of Senate President Timothy Hamel-Smith.

Dyer-Griffith said she was "very upset" with the removal of Hamel-Smith and Minister of National Security Gary Griiffith, who is her husband.

And she did not share the same views as COP political leader, Prakash Ramadhar.

She said: "I stand by my position that I find it an untenable scenario for the COP to remain part of the current configuration based on these revelations. My views are opposed to that of the political leader. We have not had the opportunity to discuss this matter or ventilate it. I have been receiving calls from past, present and future members all of yesterday evening and this morning of their displeasure with the scenario and their support of my statement of the untenable scenario that we have found ourselves in," she said.

She said she found the grounds on which Griffith had been fired to be "unacceptable" and did not know whether the matter had been discussed with Ramadhar.

Persad-Bissessar announced that Ramadhar would take up the portfolio of Minister of Justice, in addition to his current duties as Legal Affairs Minister.

Prior to Persad-Bissessar's announcement on Monday night, Ramadhar said in light of a police investigation into allegations of possible criminal wrongdoing by the Attorney General, the Prime Minister and the Political Leader of the Congress of the People met on the issue.

Ramadhar stated that the Prime Minister indicated that she was ascertaining certain facts and will make her decision shortly.
"The Prime Minister has responsibility for appointments to Ministerial offices and we await her decision in this matter. The COP’s position that officeholders under investigation in such circumstances, in the interest of their office, should step aside while investigation proceeds has been consistent and is well known. We expect also that the investigation will examine all relevant issues with an open-minded approach and proceed along any avenues necessary to unearth any wrongdoing by any officeholder or other person involved. While thoroughness is needed, it is expected that the investigation will be brought to a timely conclusion." he stated.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »
 :o Tony Fraser not holding anything back right now. Party done!

http://www.guardian.co.tt/columnist/2015-02-04/party-done

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 05, 2015, 03:54:49 PM »

Sharma ready to run again

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Sharma-ready-to-run-again-290874111.html

By Sue-Ann Wayow

DESPITE all the issues involving Fyzabad MP Chandresh Sharma, he is once again hoping to be the constituency’s representative in the next general election.

Although, the United National Congress (UNC) has not yet started screening for candidates, politicians have already began positioning themselves for a run, and gauging constituency support.

Sharma told the Express yesterday his resignation from the Cabinet should not affect his chances of being selected.
He said: “You have 41 seats in the country in Trinidad and Tobago and you would not have all the members in Cabinet. Your constituency performance is separate from whatever Cabinet portfolio, so it is not related. “

Sharma has been Fyzabad’s MP for the past 24 years.
He was initially appointed as Minister of Local Government in May, 2010 but in June 2012, Sharma was switched to being Minister of Transport. In September 2013, Sharma began his portfolio as Tourism Minister.

In March, 2014, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar revoked his ministerial appointment after receiving a resignation letter from him. He was at the time under police investigation for alleged assault on his ex-girlfriend Sacha Singh, managing director of AMS Biotech Security Concept and Amsure T&T Ltd.

Sharma said he continued to remain committed to party, constituency and country and welcomes any opposition from other party members who may also be offering themselves for screening.

Sharma said: “You don’t want a lone nominee in any constituency. Most times that happens only for political leaders of parties. We want people to start showing interest. We hope that there will always be people. I would be very concerned if nobody shows interest.”

He added that constituency members were pleased with Persad-Bissessar’s decision to once again reshuffle the Cabinet on Monday.

“They feel it is really a clear demonstration of leadership at the highest level of performance where you put country first and in keeping with the best practices,” Sharma said.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2015, 09:28:37 AM »

Sharma ready to run again

DESPITE all the issues involving Fyzabad MP Chandresh Sharma, he is once again hoping to be the constituency’s representative in the next general election.

The UNC doesn't even pretend to have some semblance of a proper functioning party internally but they want to run the country.  When was their last internal election?  When are they screening candidates?  Have they chosen any candidates for any of the seats as yet?  Boy firetruck away with this bunch yes!!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Abdulah: Expect more allegations
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2015, 12:38:30 AM »
I like this fellow David Abdulah. If I was living in T&T now I would join his party.

Reshma Ragoonath (T&T Guardian)
Published: Monday, February 9, 2015

David Abdulah leader of the Movement for Social Justice (MSJ)

Movement for Social Justice leader David Abdulah says T&T can expect more allegations and controversies as government continues with its attempts to shift away from critical issues of governance. Abdulah urged citizens not to be swayed by diversions, “noise and chatter” away from the real issues in the controversy involving former attorney general Anand Ramlogan, Police Complaints Authority director David West and former national security minister Gary Griffith.

Abdulah, addressing a media conference yesterday at the party’s headquarters in St Joseph Village, San Fernando, said the legitimacy of the Peoples’ Partnership regime “continues to be brought into serious question.” “There will be many more allegations being made in the future because of the nature of this government. The manipulation, the abuse of office, trying to use the loopholes of the law. More is going to come,” Abdulah said.

He said the call by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, on Monday, for President Anthony Carmona to remove West was “unwarranted.” He said, after that call for the last six days the media has been focusing “not on the alleged wrongdoing by Mr Ramlogan, but has been focused on the whistleblower, so to speak, Mr David West.”

He said the issue has been kept alive by the revelations by Griffith of other ministers being implicated in an attempt to have him withdraw his statement. Government, he said, has attempted to weave a web of deception and now the Government is “tangled up in it (the web of deception)” and the Prime Minister is at the centre of that entanglement.

“The Government is attempting to, with all this chatter and all this noise, have the population of T&T take their eyes of the ball and lost sight of the real issue, which is, what Mr Ramlogan is alleged to have done,” Abdulah said. Abdulah said he was unfazed by yesterday’s UWI/Ansa Mc AL Psychological Research Centre poll which gave him a one per cent popularity rating for the Prime Minister.

He said he was not in a popularity contest and what should be of concern is one third of the poll had rejected both Persad-Bissessar and Rowley.

MSJ-OPPOSES CEMEX/TCL BUY-OUT ATTEMPT
Abdulah also raised serious objection to any attempt by Mexican transnational cement firm Cemex to increase its shareholding in Trinidad Cement Ltd. Abdulah urged shareholders against passing that resolution, since it will give Cemex, which already has 20 per cent, the opportunity to force a take-over of TCL.

“We oppose the resolution for the removal of that 20 per cent cap. We do not agree with the loss of important assets that have been acquired by people in the region over a long period of time,” he said. He said if Cemex gets 39 or 40 per cent it would force a takeover, according to stock market rules. The MSJ leader added that if Cemex is allowed to take ownership of TCL there will be job losses in T&T and the company’s Barbados and Jamaica cement factories.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »

People will vote for party not leader

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2015-02-09/people-will-vote-party-not-leader

Political analyst Dr Winsford James says the latest poll conducted by UWI/ANSA McAL clearly shows an increasing number of people wanting the Opposition to form the next government despite an increase in support for incumbent Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to retain that post. James was commenting on the poll which was published in yesterday’s Sunday Guardian. He said the poll shows the general findings of previous samples.

In the poll Persad-Bissessar emerged as the preferred choice for Prime Minister garnering 34 per cent of the votes, while Rowley received 24 per cent. Some 25 per cent of the respondents were undecided. James noted, however, the latest poll gave the PNM a bigger lead, while it also showed more people favour Persad-Bissessar to lead the government than Dr Keith Rowley.

James said it was emerging as a popularity contest between the leaders. He said, however, “It is not the PM who wins elections but political parties and the PNM will win.”  He said the poll showed that Persad-Bissessar was enjoying a level of popularity even though her “government was rotten to the core. She is trying to rehabilitate things, to turn the tide by the toughness of her decisions.”

Only last week Persad-Bissessar sacked Anand Ramlogan as attorney general, Gary Griffith as national security minister and Emmanuel George as justice minister. Ramlogan and Griffith were asked to resign over an allegation of witness tampering against Ramlogan by Police Complaints Authority director, David West.

James said while Persad-Bissessar was seen by the population as not being responsible for those developments, the former ministers were appointed by her. “It was her judgment in most cases,” he added. He said the poll showed she was a leader who was “surrounded by miscreants.” He insisted “in the end the PNM will benefit.” And former prime minister Basdeo Panday said a poll was simply a poll of what people were thinking at a particular time.

In a telephone interview yesterday, Panday said the PP Government had short-changed the population as it did not deliver value for money. He said Peoples Partnership made many promises but failed to deliver. He said it spent some $200 billion and there was “no value for money.” Panday admitted the Government did fix some drains but a tremendous cost to the treasury. He said it also stared some infrastructure projects.

Panday said he welcome a probe into alleged witness tampering involving former Ramlogan. He said the probe must me a meaningful one and there should be no cover up.He said if there was a cover up the entire exercise would be meaningless.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »
I like this fellow David Abdulah. If I was living in T&T now I would join his party.

Movement for Social Justice leader David Abdulah says T&T can expect more allegations and controversies as government continues with its attempts to shift away from critical issues of governance. Abdulah urged citizens not to be swayed by diversions, “noise and chatter” away from the real issues in the controversy involving former attorney general Anand Ramlogan, Police Complaints Authority director David West and former national security minister Gary Griffith.

Abdulah, addressing a media conference yesterday at the party’s headquarters in St Joseph Village, San Fernando, said the legitimacy of the Peoples’ Partnership regime “continues to be brought into serious question.” “There will be many more allegations being made in the future because of the nature of this government. The manipulation, the abuse of office, trying to use the loopholes of the law. More is going to come,” Abdulah said.

He said the call by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, on Monday, for President Anthony Carmona to remove West was “unwarranted.” He said, after that call for the last six days the media has been focusing “not on the alleged wrongdoing by Mr Ramlogan, but has been focused on the whistleblower, so to speak, Mr David West.”

He said the issue has been kept alive by the revelations by Griffith of other ministers being implicated in an attempt to have him withdraw his statement. Government, he said, has attempted to weave a web of deception and now the Government is “tangled up in it (the web of deception)” and the Prime Minister is at the centre of that entanglement.

“The Government is attempting to, with all this chatter and all this noise, have the population of T&T take their eyes of the ball and lost sight of the real issue, which is, what Mr Ramlogan is alleged to have done,” Abdulah said. Abdulah said he was unfazed by yesterday’s UWI/Ansa Mc AL Psychological Research Centre poll which gave him a one per cent popularity rating for the Prime Minister.

He said he was not in a popularity contest and what should be of concern is one third of the poll had rejected both Persad-Bissessar and Rowley.

MSJ-OPPOSES CEMEX/TCL BUY-OUT ATTEMPT
Abdulah also raised serious objection to any attempt by Mexican transnational cement firm Cemex to increase its shareholding in Trinidad Cement Ltd. Abdulah urged shareholders against passing that resolution, since it will give Cemex, which already has 20 per cent, the opportunity to force a take-over of TCL.

“We oppose the resolution for the removal of that 20 per cent cap. We do not agree with the loss of important assets that have been acquired by people in the region over a long period of time,” he said. He said if Cemex gets 39 or 40 per cent it would force a takeover, according to stock market rules. The MSJ leader added that if Cemex is allowed to take ownership of TCL there will be job losses in T&T and the company’s Barbados and Jamaica cement factories.

Them was in bed with this lot. Where was he in 1995-2001 when they were in power before when Ish and Steve was birthed. Anybody who drank the koolaide that Kamla was sharing needed to get their head examine. That could be forgiven their dislike for the old Patos clouded their judgment but when you was mixing the koolaide you cannot be forgiven.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »
One major thing they have going for them is the fact that they ditched early.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2015, 02:05:10 PM »
:thumbsup:

I like MSJ and would probably vote for them if I was home for elections.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: Attorney Randall Mitchell has been selected as the PNM's candidate for the San Fernando East Constituency. This, after the current MP, Patrick Manning, failed to turn up for today's screening

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2015, 08:02:04 PM »

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Former-PM-bows-out-in-meeting-at-home-291470431.html

AT around 3 p.m. on Monday, outgoing Member of Parliament for San Fernando East Patrick Manning met with two members of the People’s National Movement (PNM) con­stituency executive at his Sumadh Gardens home in Vistabella.

At the meeting, Manning told
the men he was withdrawing from the screening process that was to begin at 4.30 that evening.
Manning made his intentions known to the executive’s chairman, Kenny Prescott, and the executive’s vice-chairman, Kennedy Flemming, the Express was told.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »

Manning Successor Mitchell humbled, ready to start campaign

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Successor-Mitchell-humbled-ready-to-start-campaign-291470651.html

Attorney and businessman Randall Mitchell feels humbled by his selection as the People’s National Movement’s (PNM) candidate for San Fernando East in this year’s general election.

Mitchell, 36, has replaced Patrick Manning, the PNM’s former leader, former prime minister and the country’s and constituency’s longest-serving MP since 1971.

He was announced as the PNM’s choice for the party’s stronghold on Monday night, fol­lowing the screening of nominees at the party’s regional office South, Nav­et Road, San Fernando.

Speaking to the media afterwards, Mitchell, of Cocoyea, San Fer­nando, said he was humbled he was selected and thanked Manning for paving the way for him.

He added he was “a bit nervous”.

Mitchell said yesterday that speaking with Manning, whom he des­cribed as a “political resource”, was a priority.

Mitchell leaves the country today on a pre-scheduled trip but returns in a week’s time. He said as soon as he returns, he will start get­ting prepared for his campaign.

Mitchell had nine nom­inations from party groups. He said he will have to speak

to party groups and constituents before the campaign.

“Also, I will have to start building the campaign team and as a group, we will come

up with some strate­gies and we will go from there,” he said.

Mitchell said: “Mr Man­ning has represen­ted. He has excelled as a representative and the truth is he has made it very easy for me as a suc­cessor. In terms of San Fernando, Mr Man­ning’s plan for San Fernando East and the country is to become a developed nation by 2020, so we will contin­ue to seek that sort of development and we will look at the plans.”

He added: “Maybe, some plans are not appli­cable at this time, having regard to the economic situation and the changed circumstances that we now face, and we will have to look at them and

we will make decisions.

“At the end of the day, I represent the constituents and we have to consult with the peo­ple, listen to the people and do as the people suggest.”

Unlike other candidates who may want to focus on improving infrastructure in their area, Mitchell said what San Fernando needed most was for communities to be empowered to deal with issues.

Mitchell said: “Getting the communities empowered to take care of their own problems, to find the solution to chart their own course, I think that is what we really have to build on, the village councils, residential associations, that sort of thing, so that people can really take care of their own problems and not expect some Government or some messiah to come and fix their problems for them. Building communities, building the network throughout the constituency, that is what ought to be in programme first.”

Mitchell said he already has a good rela­tion­ship with the PNM-dominated San Fernando City Corporation, which should give an added boost to his campaign.

Best for the party

PNM’s general secre­tary Ashton Ford told reporters on Monday: “Mr Mitchell is an active member of the San Fernando East constituency. He is the elections offi­cer. He has served as co-ordinator for two constituencies before.

“He is well known within the party and he is an attorney-at-law and a businessman, and we believe that he is the best person at this point in time to represent the party in San Fernando East.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2015, 04:23:47 AM »

Them was in bed with this lot. Where was he in 1995-2001 when they were in power before when Ish and Steve was birthed. Anybody who drank the koolaide that Kamla was sharing needed to get their head examine. That could be forgiven their dislike for the old Patos clouded their judgment but when you was mixing the koolaide you cannot be forgiven.

David Abdullah is best of service to T&T in Opposition.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:58:31 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2015, 07:42:52 AM »

Should have never signed up wit this lot. Did they not see their M.O. 95-01? I not so symphathetic. The fact that they had to abandon ship so early indicate that it was a continuation of 01.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2015, 07:59:32 AM »
Labour in for a rough time. The pressure to privatize is increasing. I don't know how long the govt going to subsidize TCL.

1]; } ?>