Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 169354 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #270 on: March 04, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »
You'd be surprised how many people that support Kamla may beg to disagree.

Anyhow.

Imbert: Gov't suppressing EBC Report

Imbert: Govt suppressing EBC report
Story Created: Mar 3, 2015 at 9:48 PM ECT
Story Updated: Mar 3, 2015 at 9:48 PM ECT
 The Government is suppressing an Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC) report for the purposes of voter padding, Opposition MP Colm Imbert claimed yesterday.
However, Leader of Government Business Dr Roodal Moonilal dismissed this claim, saying that the report was approved by Cabinet and is being transmitted to Parliament through the usual channels.
“Imbert is making mischief and talking rubbish,” said Moonilal.
Imbert, at a news conference at the Opposition Leader’s Port of Spain office yesterday, said he was certain that the United National Congress (UNC) was engaged in a plot to voter pad and house pad.
“I am of the view that the UNC has taken the opportunity over the last year or so to house pad, to voter pad and to move voters into San Fernando East from the Oropouche area and I challenge the UNC to tell me that that is not so,” said Imbert.
He said the EBC boundaries report should have been laid in the Parliament since last year in keeping with the provisions of the Constitution.
Imbert noted section 72 of the Commission which states:
(1) The Commission shall, in accordance with the provisions of this section, review the number and boundaries of the constituencies into which Trinidad and Tobago is divided and submit to the Prime Minister and the Speaker for presentation to the House of Representatives in accordance with this section reports either (a) showing the constituencies into which it recommends that Trinidad and Tobago should be divided in order to give effect to the rules set out in the Second Schedule; or (b) stating that, in the opinion of the Commission, no alteration is required to the existing number or boundaries of constituencies in order to give effect to the said rules.
(2) Reports under subsection (1) shall be submitted by the Commission not less than two nor more than five years from the date of the submission of its last report.
He said the last EBC report was dated April 30, 2009 which means the report after that should have been tabled last year.
Imbert said he was aware of the changes of the report.
“I happen to be to be aware of what the changes are, there’s not any secret in Trinidad and Tobago and a little birdie told me that changes have been made to the constituency of San Fernando East, three polling divisions have been moved from Oropouche East into San Fernando East in the area of Corinth,” he said.
The polling divisions to be moved from Oropouche East, he added, were 3860, 3872, 3905 — which traditionally voted in favour of the United National Congress.
He said that two small poling divisions — 4055 and 4060 — have been moved out of San Fernando East into San Fernando West.
Imbert said based on the last general election results, the effect of this change would be to reduce the PNM’s majority in San Fernando East by 1,000 votes.
He noted that there are a lot of Housing Development Corporation (HDC) units built by the former PNM administration in the Corinth area. He questioned why the report has not been laid yet as he pointed out that the Parliament will automatically be dissolved in June as the Government’s tenure comes to an end.
According to Imbert, Moonilal “muttered” in Parliament last week that there was a report and a cover letter was needed for it.
Imbert dismissed this as “nonsense” as he questioned why was it taking so long for a cover letter to the Speaker to say here is the report.
“I am certain they suppressed this report so they can do house padding and voter padding in San Fernando East and I would like the report to be dealt with immediately,” said Imbert.

He said a PNM Government will change the law to ensure that the EBC report is laid in the Parliament within a set specified time frame. —Anna Ramdass

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 04, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »
You'd be surprised how many people that support Kamla may beg to disagree.

Not in the least!! Those people also include the thousands of Guyanese they have been hastily regularizing and giving housing to in the marginal’s seats.

This corrupt racist PP government plans to win these elections by hook or by crook so it won't be easy for the population to get rid of them.
They also have elections re-run and SoE to fall back on just in case things don't seem to be going their way.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:36:53 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2015, 05:45:47 PM »
From my personal interaction with him, Imbert is a smart fella, but a real idiot at the same time.  I shudder at what passes for leadership and governance in Trinidad.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: Housing Minister Dr. Roodal Moonilal reveals HDC to distribute 100 houses per week for the rest of 2015.

Elections is in the air!  :D

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2015, 06:21:22 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: Housing Minister Dr. Roodal Moonilal reveals HDC to distribute 100 houses per week for the rest of 2015.

I say I go apply for a hdc house last year... To be told I have to fill in the online form. Gone to do it... Some coding error the page had so a lot of it distorted and cannot be completed. Tried different computers and same problem. Wonder what would happen now?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »

Interesting

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Maharaj-Well-informed-about-issues-295272191.html

ATTORNEY Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj will be representing Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley in court against any cases that will be filed against him by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar with respect to “emailgate” and other related matters.

On Wednesday night, during a People’s National Movement political meeting in Marabella, Rowley said Maharaj will be his senior attorney in the impending lawsuits. Rowley said he was even prepared to contact former prime minister Basdeo Panday to join his team of attorneys.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2015, 11:09:48 PM »

I say I go apply for a hdc house last year... To be told I have to fill in the online form. Gone to do it... Some coding error the page had so a lot of it distorted and cannot be completed. Tried different computers and same problem. Wonder what would happen now?

I just hope this house distribution is not an avenue used for voter padding.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2015, 12:44:28 AM »

I just hope this house distribution is not an avenue used for voter padding.

That's exactly the intention based on the thousands of squatters (the majority being Guyanese) who have been recently regularized and who are now being given priority housing in the marginal seats.
Also note that the official ballot paper printing machine has been missing for many weeks now.

The corrupt PP government plans to win the coming general elections by any means necessary so it won't be easy sailing to get rid of them despite their general unpopularity with the T&T population.

They also have elections re-run and SoE to fall back on just in case things don't seem to be going their way.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 10, 2015, 12:01:14 AM »

PNM chooses Berkley, Cudjoe for Tobago seats

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2015-03-09/pnm-chooses-berkley-cudjoe-tobago-seats

The 2015 general elections political campaign has officially started in Tobago. On March 8, People's National Movement (PNM) chair Frankyn Khan annouced the names of the candidates for the two Tobago seats.

Tobago House of Assembly (THA) Assemblyman for Goodwood / Belle Garden Wendell Berkley and PNM Senator Shamfa Cudjoe were given the nod to represent Tobago East and West respectively.

Berkley is a former Assemblyman, the current Chairman of the Tobago East constituency and the current Vice Chairman of the Tobago Council. He said he is ready for the task ahead, and identified several "outstanding" areas that would require his attention.

“There are some areas in Tobago that has been outstanding for a while, for example there is the North East development plan, there is the Windward development plan, there are some plans that the THA has and of course there would be those as planned by the Central Government.”

Cudjoe, the lone nominee for the Tobago West seat, was named by 24 party groups. She said Tobago’s autonomy would be one of her priorities.

“What I have to offer the people of Tobago West and the people of Tobago by extension is my commitment to work with the Tobago House of Assembly to increase its autonomy and to bring the necessary resources and access to opportunities for Tobagonians like that experienced in Trinidad and even better,” Cudjoe said.

Speaking at a news conference at the Hampden Lowlands Community Centre on Sunday, the PNM chair said Berkley and Cudjoe were chosen from a field of seven nominees. All 41 candidates to contest the 2015 elections are to be sent to the party's central executive for approval. Khan said that the Central Executive does not usually override the decision of the screening committee, and he expects all the candidates to be formally approved.

“From here on the campaign has started for the people of Tobago. The party’s leadership is extremely confident based on our victory in the 2013 THA elections that we will be winning the two Tobago seats in Tobago East and Tobago West,” Khan said.

Meanwhile Deputy Political Leader, Tobago Council, Orville London says the he was impressed by the calibre of candidates screened for the seats. He said the strength of the candidates made it a tough decision.

“It was a very close contest. Everybody displayed strengths, everybody displayed characteristics which we considered to be positive and at the end of the exercise based on the recommendation of the executive and our own observations we would have a decision, but it was very very close and there were other candidates who were almost as impressive but it was just all-round attributes.”

Four out of the seven candidates screened for the Tobago seats are under 40 years old. London said the youth participation in politics shows that the PNM is in good hands.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 10, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
Bourbon the government know the motion iz ah waste of time. But it will create another topic to distract the public.
:thumbsup:

This is quite apparent unless you are blind or highly gullible.
As usual the PPG is taking the general public for fools and is relying on the ignorance of most of their supporters to buy the nonsense that the PM preached on the platform.

No confidence motion my ass....if Kamla thinks her government is so strong then she should call a general election and let the citizens decide. After all, the ultimate display of no confidence in Rowley will be a resounding rejection of him at the polls....not so madame PM?? ::)

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Al-Rawi-blasts-Kamla-295839811.html

On the intended Motion of No Confidence against Rowley, Al-Rawi said the PNM will never be guided by Persad-Bissessar and he was as yet not convinced that there was a motion to be had.

Al-Rawi said it remains to be seen whether the motion will be approved by Speaker of the House Wade Mark, if and when it is presented, but he deemed the motion a waste of air time and “a stroke of desperation” on the part of Persad-Bissessar.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/EBC-head-No-favours-in-boundary-changes-295836121.html

EBC head: No favours in boundary changes
By Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Mar 10, 2015 at 9:05 PM ECT
Story Updated: Mar 10, 2015 at 9:05 PM ECT
THE ELECTIONS and Boundaries Commission (EBC) is not manipulating the boundaries of constituencies to favour any particular political party for the upcoming general election, EBC chairman Dr Norbert Masson has said.

Masson made the statement yesterday as he defended the EBC’s recommendation that the boundaries of five constituencies be changed for this year’s general election.

Ten constituencies will be affected in all, he said.

Masson said the criteria used by the EBC in arriving at this decision were “completely apolitical”.

He reaffirmed his own independence and put his “neck on the block” that the other EBC commissioners were all “above board”.

Pollster Nigel Henry said the EBC is almost always correct in the boundary-moving decisions it makes.

The EBC’s report on the boundary change is currently before the Parliament.

“There is a principle in democratic elections termed Equality of Strength in Voting, that is to say in every single constituency you should have the same number of electors. That clearly is impossible,” Masson said.

“Therefore our way of dealing with that in the Constitution is to say that the number of electors in any constituency shall be no more than ten per cent above or below the average number of voters throughout the entire country,” he said.

“The criteria that we use is apolitical, in the sense that when a polling division is to be moved we don’t look at the polling division to see how many people from a political party voted in the last election, we move on the basis of the fact that, look, we have to establish this equality of strength.”

Masson said any time this needs to be done there are claims of gerrymandering.

“When they are in opposition they criticise the EBC, when we change boundaries, when the positions change, the same thing happens. In other words, it is as if redistricting or districting, which is a term in the technical literature for the adjustment of these boundaries, whenever that occurs you have rancour and bitterness in the Parliament,” Masson said.

“You have to shift, you have to move people but we do not...the criteria for making these moves are completely apolitical, you change on the basis of you use highways, you use mountains, you use physical features to do that kind of thing. You find yourself between a rock and a hard place, you have to bring the constituencies within the limits as specified in the law,” he said.

Masson questioned why he would be involved in gerrymandering.

“Why would I be involved in that? Why would our commission be involved in some corrupt activity like that?” he asked. “We try to be on the straight and narrow. This is a very serious business, elections are very serious things.”

Masson said the shifts are not made willy nilly.

“We don’t just shift people willy-nilly, we look at the situations and we do what we think is the least distortional, from every point of view, to the people living in the constituencies.”

Masson defends the EBC

“The independence of the body perhaps is being challenged, but I can assure you that this chairman is not being interfered with and I don’t think I need anybody’s money or anybody’s support to do anything. I am a fearless chap and I am quite independent,” he said.

Masson said for the past 50 years he has given “unblemished” service to the State.

He said the EBC is prepared for the election although the run-off provision has not yet been proclaimed.

“We don’t know what the provisions of the run-off are at this point in time. The first phase of the election is on the basis of first past the post and therefore we can go ahead and prepare for that first phase, we don’t know what the run-off provisions are at all,” he said.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Kumar-calls-for-fixed-election-dates-295836001.html

Kumar calls for fixed election dates
Story Created: Mar 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM ECT
Story Updated: Mar 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM ECT
 FOR this country to be able to better plan, citizens need to demand a fixed date for elections, said Catherine Kumar, chief executive officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Debates Commission (TTDC).
Kumar made the statement as members of the TTDC’s executive yesterday addressed a workshop for local journalists entitled “Covering Elections in Trinidad and Tobago”.
It was announced that the TTDC intends to host two Leaders’ Debates in the build-up to this year’s general election.
A Leaders’ Debate planned by the TTDC for the 2013 local government election was cancelled because Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar opted to have Prakash Ramadhar represent the People’s Partnership as its leader.
Kumar said a memorandum of understanding is being arranged to prevent a similar occurrence.
TTDC chairman Andrew Sabga said several financiers have signalled their intention to fund the Leaders’ Debate rather than pump money into individual political parties.
“Now they may have an advantage in the US (United States) over us because they know from beforehand the exact date elections will be, so what they actually do is they go out and they put out a tender and a university wins a tender to host the debate,” Kumar said.
“So they have that great advantage that we don’t and I think that we all need to be calling for fixed terms and we know when elections will be, fixed election dates, because that will help the country to be able to plan better if we all know when elections would be. It would certainly help the Debates Commission to plan better,” she said.
TTDC commissioner Fr Clyde Harvey said plans are being put in place to ensure all the leaders of the major parties contesting the elections be present for the Leaders’ Debate.
“This time around there is an effort to contact the leaders more directly, although they will have somebody who is the contact person, but it is part of a wider issue, I think, and that is how can we convince our politicians to move beyond the PR (public relations) approach to politics and really begin to deal with the substantial issues and until we do that we are going to get people constantly ducking anything that challenges either their intelligence or their integrity,” Harvey said.
Kumar said she believes politicians may be “scared and wary” of the debates.
“I think the politicians are really not accustomed to debates, those type of debates, and it is a fact that they are a bit scared and wary about them. They are not too sure what is coming at them, whether they are prepared enough, whether they can answer the questions as they are being asked and therefore they are wary,” Kumar said.
“But I believe deep down there is a desire to carry out the debates and have the debates, we just need to have more and more of it so they become familiar with it,” she said.
Sabga said: “The challenge of getting leaders to debate is not unique to Trinidad and Tobago alone. What surprised me is the difficulties that the US debates commission has in getting its leaders to debate and really why they come to the table and make sure they debate is because the public demands it,” Sabga said.
“And if you don’t come to the table to debate, that is political suicide and that is where we want to get, to a point where it is expected if you do not come to the table to address the issues, it is the equivalent to saying I am not worthy of the votes that I may get,” he said.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2015, 11:03:25 AM »
The political unravelling going on in this land reminds me of a poem Masque of Anarchy by Percy Shelley
Percy Shelley:  here is my adapted summary from  http://www.gradesaver.com/percy-shelley-poems/study-guide/summary-the-mask-of-anarchy to parallel the TNT context."The Mask of Anarchy"

The speaker is sleeping in A little remote village in Trinidad when he is awoken by a voice from The present government who summons him back with "A Call for Victory"  yet he is perplexed by the images and daily news on TV and papers of murders, corruption, unresolved crimes that has occurred. The Murder of a nation so to speak fills his thinking as he ponders what to do. His home is characterized by anarchic murder rather than a true spirit of alleged change as proposed five years ago.He witnesses the personification of Murder, Fraud, Hypocrisy, various Destructions, and Anarchy. Anarchy driving greedy politicians throughout TNT  scaring the population. Soon, like “a cabal of bloodhounds” they permeate all areas of TNT where they plunder and continue to fool the innocent public. They continue to butcher the innocent as they travel through the land, eventually claiming all the land  where the “dwellers,” who are by this time aware of the havoc these politricksters tyrants are running, creating "panic-stricken” among all

Anarchy - the government claims to be God, King, and Law, rejecting all traditional sources of authority and power. Some fools choose to follow them. As their  forces proceed with their destruction, even Hope cries out in despair. Finally, however, a mist of hope emerges, carrying thoughts of a different future. This revives Hope and aims to destroy Anarchy. The land of TnT seems to speak to the People, asking them to rise and retake true freedom, since they really have been oppressed and should fight back. Instead of trading “blood for blood” and “wrong for wrong,” the people should finally turn back to justice, wisdom, peace, and love in order to achieve liberty. They should be guided by “Science, Poetry, and Thought” and quiet virtues. The true revolution should be “measured” and use words instead of guns, drawing on the “old decree of Dr.Eric Williams instead of the new laws of the oppressors. When the tyrants fight back, the people should let their anger show itself until the tyrants fall back in shame. The people will then “Rise like Lions after slumber / In unvanquishable number” to reform TnT. Through a return to moral, ethnical, peaceful , harmonious existence of all humanity- not the political pied piper slogans of fruitless rhetoric like a "call to Victory" to stir the ignorant masses
- He awakes and decides that the notion of a better TnT can be a reality if this call to victory is rejected and all people awake from the blindness, the shackles of oppression and the  darkness of tyrannous anarchy which  has cast a veil upon the land- he calls for light from the shadows of oppression and the wanton greed of those seeking quick riches- bleeding the land and squishing the essence of its natural beauty from her pores.

Read the first couple paragraphs
http://www.enotes.com/topics/mask-anarchy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:30:20 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »
With a few months remaining before election the PP is going to focus on the marginal seats, St Joseph, Chag East, Toco/Sande Grande to name a few. Moving forward their emphasis will not be in Tobago or Arima because those seats right now are destined to return to the PNM. They cannot remain in Government without the COP retaining some of their seats so expect them to do anything to retain those seats.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:03:17 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 17, 2015, 10:24:02 PM »
Kamla on political platform calling for Al Wari to resign. Truth is she cannot find anyone to beat him in Sando West

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/She-cant-find-candidate-to-oppose-me-296672701.html

There is no merit in the Prime Minister’s attack on Faris Al-Rawi, which is rooted in the fact that she cannot find a candidate to run against him in San Fernando West in the upcoming general election.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:27:00 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2015, 10:25:43 PM »

‘Fire Faris’ just a distraction
Rowley not taking on PM

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Fire-Faris-just-a-distraction-296672561.html

By Joel Julien joel.

“THE Prime Minister doth protest too much.”

This was the response from Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley yesterday to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s interest in his legal team in the Section 34 defamation lawsuit brought by former attorney general Anand Ramlogan against Rowley.

Last week Persad-Bissessar called for Faris Al-Rawi to be removed as the instructing attorney in the Section 34 defamation lawsuit. Al-Rawi was eventually removed on Sunday by Rowley.

Speaking at this week’s Monday Night Forum Persad-Bissessar trained her guns on the lead attorney in the matter, Senior Counsel Reginald Armour.

Persad-Bissessar questioned Armour’s candidacy for this Friday’s Law Association presidential election.

“In this particular matter which is the root of Section 34 the prime minister doth protest too much,” Rowley said.

He made the statement as the start of a People’s National Movement (PNM) walkabout in Brazil, East Trinidad, yesterday.

Rowley yesterday defended Al-Rawi amid calls by Persad-Bissessar for Al-Rawi to be removed as an Opposition Senator and the PNM’s candidate for San Fernando West in the upcoming general election.

He described Al-Rawi as a “most excellent candidate”.

Rowley said Persad-Bissessar was seeking to distract the nation.

“Trinidad and Tobago’s Prime Minister is following instructions from public relations handlers and they have obviously instructed her to attack me and Faris and she is trying to run away from the issues that she has to be held accountable for,” Rowley said.

“I am not interested in the prime minister’s personal interpretations in these matters. There are authorities and there are advisers, what we are seeing here is the prime minister being her normal self, for a while she was advised by advisors now we are seeing the real Kamla Persad-Bissessar who is terrified that she is in danger of losing office and she is now setting out not to account for her stewardship,” he said

Rowley said the PNM will not be distracted.

“The PNM’s position is very simple we have monitored this government, we have reported on this government and in this election campaign we will hold this government accountable for what it has done and not done as we put forward our own proposals going forward. That is the campaign,” Rowley said.

“This government will have to account for what it has done and it’s offering us more of the same, the same bitter medicine and to do that the population has to be distracted and the PNM will ensure that that strategy does not succeed”.

“She is going after anything that she thinks can help her cause. We have selected our candidate, we are competing for votes in San Fernando West and we are relying on all the right-thinking, decent citizens in San Fernando West who are in the vast majority. The prime minister is relying on the banality of trying to change the conversation and revising history. Faris Al Rawi is the most excellent candidate and the prime minister’s ruminations will not change that,” he said.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:27:17 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Opposition Leader on call to fire Faris: PM protests too much
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2015, 12:53:27 PM »
Opposition Leader on call to fire Faris
PM protests too much

By Rachael Espinet (T&T Guardian)
Published: Wednesday, March 18, 2015

PNM leader Dr Keith Rowley greets a resident during a walkabout in the La Horquette/Talparo constituency yesterday. Photo: SHIRLEY BAHADUR

“The Prime Minister doth protest too much.”

These were the words of Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley yesterday in response to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s call to remove Opposition senator Faris Al-Rawi.

“She is going after anything that she thinks can help her cause. We have selected our candidate, we are competing for votes in San Fernando West and we are relying on all the right thinking, decent citizens in San Fernando West who are in the vast majority,” Rowley said during a walkabout along the Talparo Main Road in the La Horquetta/Talparo constituency with candidate Maxie Cuffy.

“The Prime Minister is relying on the banality of trying to change the conversation and revising history. Faris Al-Rawi is the most excellent candidate and the Prime Minister’s ruminations will not change that.

During the UNC’s Monday Night forum, the PM called for Rowley to remove Al-Rawi as both a senator and candidate for the San Fernando West seat over a conflict of interest issue which arose in the Senate last week.

But Rowley said the Prime Minister’s “attack” on Al-Rawi was her simply following orders from her public relations team.

“Trinidad and Tobago’s Prime Minister is following instructions from public relations handlers, and they have obviously instructed her to attack me and Faris, and she is trying to run away from the issues that she has to be held accountable for,” he said.

He said the PM’s attack was out of panic that she may lose the upcoming general elections and her statements reveal her true nature.

“I am not interested in the Prime Minister’s personal interpretations in these matters,” he said.

Rowley said in time the People’s Partnership Government will have to account for their actions and he will be sure to hold them to it.

“This Government will have to account for what it has done and it’s offering us more of the same, the same bitter medicine and to do that the population has to be distracted and the PNM will ensure that that strategy does not succeed,” he said.

Asked about the comment the Prime Minister made regarding Reginald Armour contesting the presidency of the Law Association, Rowley said, “The Prime Minister in this particular matter, which is the root of Section 34, the Prime Minister doth protest too much.”
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:17:26 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2015, 08:11:47 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »
The expected political rhetoric aside, the issues raised regarding Al-Rawi's comment (client unmentioned) on their face seem meritorious ... and, I state that as someone appreciative and respectful of the good senator's contributions in the public domain.

There might be a more reasoned manner in which to respond to the matter ... one that neither invokes comment by Messrs. Rowley nor Al-Rawi. Al-Rawi's political capital is solid currency. Why even bring it into the equation? He's an excellent candidate. If there was a "faux pas" regarding Arcelor Mittal, address that directly through a separate channel. Strikes me as an opportunity to elevate the manner in which politics and political discourse are conducted. Not as expedient as the present path, but might be beneficial in the long run. After all, words spouted on today's political platform create an avenue for being tossed at the utterer tomorrow/down the road.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:59:13 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »
Some big changes in PNM MP representation. Both Donna Cox and Neil Hypolite will not represent their constituencies in the next election. I commend Mr Hypolite for not throwing a tantrum after not being selected and staying loyal to his party UNLIKE the former POS Mayor Lee Sing who embarrassed himself because he was not selected for POS South a few months ago.

Good choice in choosing Mr Forde for Tunapuna he is a hard worker and well known in his constituency and I believe he will win the seat.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Donna-cox-is-out---296967691.html

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:26:49 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 21, 2015, 09:06:54 AM »

I see a double standard in this whole cat and dog issue the media seem to be focused on

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=901116143244405&set=o.589751457757045&type=2&theater

edit: I just see this one :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1556775687930515
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:36:30 PM by Sando prince »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 21, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »
when yuh smell shit....check your draws first
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 21, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
Lets see....It have this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/87poFksvHNY&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/87poFksvHNY&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Or this:

Anyhow....while people studying what they heard or think they heard or what was meant or what was meant....study this:

A further $2 billion plus is needed to complete the San Fernando to Point Fortin Highway.

As it stands, the project is 57% completed

This was revealed by the Works and Infrastructure Minister, Dr. Surujrattan Rambachan, when the House of Representatives met on Friday.

Responding to a Question from Point Fortin MP Paula Gopee-Scoon, Minister Rambachan said the Point Fortin Highway will be completed and remains a priority project of the Government.

This, in light of the need for further financing to complete this mega project.

"It's now closer to 50% of the work that has been completed. The Member for Point Fortin was also a member of the Government I believe when the cost estimates for this project were done and she should have been fully aware that the total price for the project was $7.5 billion. Not for the construction of the highway. The construction of the highway cost is $5.2 billion. Thus far, the contractor has been paid $2,464,735,507.00."

The Minister said additional financing will be needed to pay the contractors of the project.

"The project still has to receive $2.4 billion overall. $5.1 billion has been received and the difference between the amount that has been paid out on the project and the amount received is due to monies paid for the advanced payment, construction oversight, acquisitions, community outreach, management fees, construction contingencies and finance charges."

Minister Rambachan also added that while financing is still to be sourced to complete this highway, the highway from San Fernando to Mayaro will go ahead as planned and should commence in two months' time.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »
when yuh smell shit....check your draws first
:thumbsup:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A case of race in the 2015 general election
« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2015, 05:21:48 PM »
Its quite funny how Satnarayan Maharaj aka Satan-reins Maharaj the main man responsible for his followers voting race tries to argue that he believes most T&T citizens have matured beyond ethnic voting.
If/when that happens it will be little thanks to people like Sat, thats for sure.

A case of race in the 2015 general election
By Reshma Ragoonath (T&T Guardian)
Published: Sunday, March 15, 2015

Satnarayan Maharaj

T&T must confront the racial divide if it is to move forward as a society. However, that confrontation will not take place before the 2015 general election, as race will once again be a significant factor in the polls, said UWI professor and noted historian Dr Brinsley Samaroo. Speaking with the Sunday Guardian about the contentious issue, Samaroo contended that there would be a continuance of tribal voting in 2015 since that was what citizens had been taught and that was all they knew.

“I am sure we can change positively, but in the interim, for the next election, my own view is it will be fought very much along ethnic lines with very few cases of crossovers. As we say in local parlance ‘who have more corn will feed more fowl.’ “The bottom line is I do not see in the next election any change in the ethnic pattern of voting, very unfortunately, very sadly.”

Race has been in the spotlight over the last two weeks. Firstly, it was raised when a firestorm erupted on social media over a photo of a National Gas Company sign advertising the refurbishment of the East Indian Recreation Ground in south Trinidad. The issue escalated last week with the publication of a racist rant from Chaguaramas Development Authority (CDA) board member Jaishima Leladharsingh on Facebook last year. He was immediately fired when the racist posts resurfaced on social media.

Samaroo contended that even though citizens might challenge racial issues, at the end of the day, when they went into the voting booth in 2015, people would not look at what parties had to offer by way of education, health, or diversification of the economy. “Most people are not concerned about that, they are concerned about me and my kind. I and I have to take political control. I say sadly, as blessed a nation that it is and as much as we love it, going into the next election (T&T will) basically be voting on ethnic lines,” Samaroo said.

‘The elites don’t want change...we need a unifying leader’
Samaroo said though he did not believe any of the present politicians deliberately wanted to continue this ethnic trend of politics or foster racism, neither did he believe that any one of the current cadre of politicians “has the larger vision and the capability to do something about that (ethnic voting) in their political tenure.” He said, historically, the masses were brought up in a status quo of divide and rule which had been entrenched by colonial masters. This, he said, continued today and was unlikely to change soon.

“The elites are the ones who like it so and there are those elites who have the political power, the economic power and so on. And if you are prospering in a system then why should it be changed? That is why the elites do not want any change,” Samaroo said. “So we are in a real dilemma and all I can say is, I wish the country well for the next election.” He said in 1937 the races in T&T came together under the guidance of Uriah “Buzz” Butler and Adrian Cola Rienzi during the “Oilfield riots” and that was a “watershed moment” in this country’s history.

Samaroo said he was hopeful that T&T could recreate that unification of the races. “We certainly can and my hope is that we do. I would really like to see people brought together, not as Africans and Indians but as members of the working class, as members of the professional class, as members of the ruling elite crossing those ethnic lines and really working together to build the nation,” he said.

However, he said, the trade union did not have the kind of leadership Butler and Rienzi provided. “We do not have such big men, such great men who provided a fantastic vision for T&T. Sadly, we do not have trade union leaders who have the vision, the capacity, the charisma of either Butler or Rienzi to bring the ethnicities together on a working class basis.” Samaroo said the only way to get rid of the “ethnic bogey” was through constitutional reform that truly incorporated aspects of governance from the various ethnicities present in T&T.

Kambon—Citizens must want change, voices of reason must emerge
Chairman of the Emancipation Support Committee, Kafra Kambon, also contended that the 2015 general election would be one fought on the basis of race. However, he suggested, citizens must want to make a change in society and voices of reason must emerge to reverse the trend of tribal voting. “We have a tendency to perceive things through a racial lens and examine through that and focus on that and it (tribal voting) is going to happen. I do not know what voices of moderation can come into play to prevent [race] from escalating because it is a big challenge,” Kambon said.

He said T&T had not moved past race because the issue had never been addressed with the required seriousness. “We have not done that and we have not done anything institutionally as well to ensure that other generations grow up in a different environment. Therefore, it is always dependent on the goodwill of some persons who have some influence to maintain things in some kind of balance.” Race, Kambon contended, has to be institutionally addressed.

“We do not really give thought to that. Individuals who hold public office are also too careless in terms of how they deal with issues of race,” he said. Society can only be harmonised, he said, through “unity in diversity.” “We have the cultural background for that, but we are not drawing on it and making use of those elements in our cultural background that will bring about a greater harmony. We prefer not to discuss it, and pretend that it is not a factor in how the society functions, and then practise it,” he said.

MORE INFO
Sat Maharaj: Expect a bruising campaign based on performance and personalities

Satnarayan Maharaj, head of the Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha, agrees with Samaroo that race will play a part in the general election, but he believes that most citizens have matured beyond ethnic voting. In recent times, there have been people migrating over racial lines when it comes to voting and we saw that move when the COP (Congress of the People) emerged during the Basdeo Panday era. So that in a mixed society such as T&T race should be discussed openly and without any animosity and we will live happily ever after,” Maharaj said. 

He said T&T’s citizens had a more elevated way of thinking and he believed that “there will be movement across the racial barrier” in 2015. “ I think the politicians have managed to shift the issues away from race to performance and vision. I think we have come a long way, we have matured,” he said. Maharaj said he expected the 2015 general election campaign to be a “bruising campaign.”

However, “I do not think race will play an important part in the campaign itself. But I believe it will be a bruising campaign when it comes to performance and the personalities involved,” Maharaj added.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:32:39 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cop to sue state over SOE arrest
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2015, 02:45:16 PM »
Cop to sue state over SOE arrest
By Rachael Espinet (T&T Guardian)
Published: Monday, March 23, 2015

Former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj

Former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj is calling on Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to apologise to hundreds detained during the November 2011 state of emergency. And he wants that apology before the upcoming general elections. Maharaj said this at a press conference at his Irving Street, San Fernando office yesterday.

A legal claim against the state was already filed in the San Fernando High Court by Police Inspector Earl Elie, who is seeking punitive damages for being detained for 13 days during the state of emergency, said Lawrence, who is representing Elie in the matter. The government should apologise to Inspector Earl Elie and all the people detained under the emergency regulations and emergency powers and all the people who were detained under the Anti Gang Act, who had to be freed because there was no evidence, Maharaj said.

“There should be at least an apology from the Government to these people and their families. As a lawyer I intend to prosecute this claim in the High Court and if necessary in the Court of Appeal, and if necessary in the Final Court of Appeal for Trinidad and Tobago, because it is my view as a lawyer that not only was an injustice done to Earl Elie but an injustice was done to the people and the constitution of Trinidad and Tobago,” he said.

On August 23, 2011, Persad-Bissessar announced that the National Security Council and Cabinet agreed to have a state of emergency declared. “The question which arises in the claim filed by police inspector Earl Elie is whether the alleged public state of emergency which the government said was in existence to declare the state of emergency in 2011 threatened the life of the nation,” Maharaj said.

Elie was detained under the premise that he was a suspect in a plot to assassinate the Prime Minster and then attorney general Anand Ramlogan. But Maharaj said a state of emergency can only be constitutionally called if there was an “exceptional situation of crisis of public danger which affects the whole population and which constitutes a threat for the organised life of the country.”

“A public emergency in law means more than a threat to some people, it means disorder or violence which is so extensive and so serious as to threaten the guardians of public safety, namely civil government and police, or damage their ability to guard the public safety,” he said. “If a Cabinet could ‘willy-nilly’ cause a state of emergency to be declared, then Trinidad and Tobago can have a state of emergency created on a regular basis.”

Detention timeline

Following is the timeline of events detailed in a statement made yesterday by Lawrence. Elie was on duty at the St Clair Police Station on November 23, when he was arrested and taken to the Woodbrook Police Station, where he was told he was being detained under the Emergency Regulations. He was a sergeant at the time. He was taken to his home, which was searched for illegal firearms. Nothing illegal was found.

Elie was given a detention order, which stated that he was detained on the grounds that he was named as a person involved in a conspiracy to assassinate the Prime Minister, the Attorney General and two other government ministers on November 24, 2011. Maharaj said Elie was interviewed about those allegations during an interview on November 24. On December 5, 2011, 13 days after he was first detained, Elie was released from custody.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:55:44 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2015, 08:42:31 PM »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2015, 05:41:15 AM »
‘The elites don’t want change...we need a unifying leader’

very ironic statement coming from him. He is a member of the socalled elite

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 24, 2015, 06:59:27 AM »