Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 169259 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Newsflash!! T&T Elections date announcement by our PM!!
« Reply #360 on: May 13, 2015, 07:56:24 AM »
Newsflash!! T&T Elections date announcement by our PM!!

Following the results of the Guyanese elections where the PP's sister party the PPP in Guyana lost and to try to avoid similar disaster happening in T&T, our general elections date has been set for 31st September 2015.

Please note that any unrest reported in objection to this date even including a steups may lead to our government calling a SoE.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #361 on: May 13, 2015, 09:01:29 AM »
Surprised to hear PPP lost the elections.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 13, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »
Surprised to hear PPP lost the elections.

They are calling for a recount and don't want to leave office.

They are very close and similar in agenda to our PP government so you know that this is a sign that Kamla and her crew of criminals are not going to give up power easily even if/when they are defeated at the polls.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 13, 2015, 12:28:06 PM »
Socapro are you saying the actions of the PPP party in Guyana is actually a sign of what will happen in Trinidad and Tobago?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 13, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »
Socapro are you saying the actions of the PPP party in Guyana is actually a sign of what will happen in Trinidad and Tobago?

What I do know they both cut from the same cloth
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 14, 2015, 05:31:38 AM »
Well interestingly enough...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154004974659421/permalink/924370870956157/

For those who not on facebook...

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 08, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »

Watson Duke is hoping his popularity will win him the seat!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 11, 2015, 08:57:56 AM »

What popularity? If the jokers had come together and field 1 slate he would not have been PSA President.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 11, 2015, 08:07:01 PM »
I hear the date is September 31st
😔
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 14, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »

You take it however you wish. I simply expressed my view and think I made what I said clear enough.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:46:28 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 14, 2015, 02:41:25 PM »
Bourbon he seems to be just another die hard PP supporter. Nothing much to really talk about. Political parties have their loyalist supporters.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:36:26 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 14, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »

Watson Duke will lose his deposit........
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 15, 2015, 05:06:30 AM »

You take it however you wish. I simply expressed my view and think I made what I said clear enough.

Well...lets hope not....although I not sure if there is much to pin hope to...

http://caribbeannewsnow.com/topstory-Opposition-coalition-wins-in-Guyana-26118.html

However, President Donald Ramotar refused to concede after Thursday’s announcement, claiming the elections were flawed and demanding a recount, without giving details of his accusations. He also claimed that a number of statements of poll were forged.

In rejecting the results and demanding a full recount, he said, "I cannot concede that I have lost this election." When asked if he would refuse to give up power, he responded, "I have not closed any option as yet."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 16, 2015, 01:24:40 PM »

I am holding you personally responsible to insure that this happen.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 16, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »
Bourbon he seems to be just another die hard PP supporter. Nothing much to really talk about. Political parties have their loyalist supporters.

BEST JOKE OF THE DAY.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »
Allyuh doh fur get most of the Guyanese take up / were allegedly given Trinidad papers to sway the votes so ..........

Sad that folks vote in a quasi tribal mentality as oppose to principles , ethics, morals, competencies- virtues which seems to exceed the grasp of a vast majority of the electorates- too often the thirst for $$ and the lure of " get rich " schemes has suckered many who began with good intentions- sadly those who run for public offices are not held accountable early on or screened to ensure that skeletons from third closets don't come alive to haunt them. Sadly it appears that those who are rejected for public office seems content to be sucked in to another party to " spite"

We have a mess at home and we need leaders who would stand up for the ideals of humanity- govern with ethical care and duty- squash the corrosive corruptible elements and humbly serve those who cry out for justice, peace , and a life free of poverty.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2015, 09:10:15 PM »

The passing of this run-off bill will see the Govt facing major backlash from the population.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Runoff-and-Recall-Controversy---303973841.html

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »

The passing of this run-off bill will see the Govt facing major backlash from the population.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Runoff-and-Recall-Controversy---303973841.html

I not so sure about that.

There are people that political opinions hinge greatly on what they are told by their party. Why you think PR making money?

Also..an eunuch like Prakash really doesnt care cause he seeing about himself. The run off would just be COP's final rites. He might get a UNC ticket at worst...at best he would be in the party alone. So he not worried.

And especially seeing how Guyana's turned out and the actions of this government here....I actually am worried about how things turn out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »

I am holding you personally responsible to insure that this happen.

:beermug: :)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PM tells supporters: PP will wipe PNM off the map
« Reply #379 on: May 25, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
PM tells supporters: PP will wipe PNM off the map
By Rhondor Dowlat
Published: Monday, May 25, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

A supporter displays a placard calling for the legalisation of marijuana at the People’s Partnership’s anniversary celebrations at Constantine Park, Macoya, yesterday. Photo: RISHI RAGOONATH

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar was in full elections mode yesterday as she declared: “No retreat, no surrender.” She told thousands of supporters gathered at Constantine Park, Macoya, for the People’s Partnership anniversary rally that she is ready to do battle. She also used the event, which was broadcast live on three local television channels, to join hands with the leaders of the other parties in the ruling coalition and renew the pledge they made five years ago.

This time, however, Persad-Bissessar acknowledged the times her government faltered and declared that her government would grow from such experiences. In a wide ranging fifth anniversary address, the Prime Minister recalled the times the opposition and citizens at large said her coalition government would collapse.

“We have proven them wrong. We will wipe the opposition off the map of T&T and we will be a partnership that will take you forward into the future of T&T,” she said. “We made a promise. Always remember, no retreat, no surrender. We will be like soldiers in the winter night. Blood brothers and sisters in the stormy night ready to defend.

“We are ready to do battle, to keep great the country on the path of success, progress and equality. Do not be deterred by all the negative forces and malicious reports coming from the other side. They are desperate because they cannot contest our achievements.” Persad-Bissessar also announced several projects the PP will undertake if given that second term in office.

“The highways from San Fernando to Mayaro. This will begin now and will continue until completion. The access on the ocean front to Chaguaramas. We will establish dry docking facilities in La Brea which will bring us thousands of sustainable jobs in a traditionally depressed area. A national transport and traffic strategy, a medical tourism hospital.

“Development on a sequential basis of the seven economic zones. Those will be rationalised for agro-processing, commercial services, manufacturing, light manufacturing, petro chemicals and high tech manufacturing. These will bring good quality sustainable jobs,” she said.

“The San Fernando Water Front Development Project, on which the full study has been done, consultations has been held and this project is ready to go. We have already put a committee in place headed by businesswoman Daphne Bartlett. We have not forgotten Tobago. Development of a marina and designation of a duty free port,” she added.

Persad-Bissessar also announced plans for a port in Port-of-Spain that will link with other development initiatives, including the Invaders Bay development and the development of the Chaguaramas Peninsula. “Port-of-Spain will be renewed as a port city with extended waterfront, leisure, entertainment, business and residential areas. Those will bring more jobs and more revenue to T&T,” she said.

Another highlight of the rally was the launch of the PP Government’s campaign web site. What we will do in our next term we will lay out for you in our manifesto, our commitment, shortly and these are just some of the highlights. I ask you to make sure to check our campaign web site launched today, kamla2015.tt.” she said.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:08:45 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rowley on Emailgate probe: Hosein’s name on letterhead of PM’s lawyer
« Reply #380 on: May 25, 2015, 10:17:22 AM »
Rowley on Emailgate probe: Hosein’s name on letterhead of PM’s lawyer
By Renuka Singh

PNM Political Leader Dr Keith Rowley addresses supporters at the party’s sports and family day at Nelson Mandela Park, Port-of-Spain yesterday. Photo: JEFF MAYERS

A red tide swept through the Queen’s Park Savannah yesterday as thousands of People National Movement (PNM) supporters gathered for the party’s annual family day. Dubbed a day of fun, it quickly took on the look and feel of a political rally by the time Opposition leader Dr Keith Rowley took the stage just after 4 pm.

Rowley kept his finger on hot political topics including government misspending, Section 34 and the recent collapse of the Integrity Commission. He said the Prime Minister’s attorney, Israel Khan, wrote to the Integrity Commission calling for the termination of the investigation on a letterhead that bore the name of chairman of the Integrity Commission, Zainool Hosein.

“So the law firm looking to request the termination of the investigation a person listed on the letterhead of that law firm, is the person to terminate the investigation,” he said. Rowley said if the investigations showed that the e-mails are fake, so be it but he criticised Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar for retaining a criminal lawyer, to pressure the Integrity Commission for a statement.

“The Prime Minister decided it was time to exonerate herself,” he said. Responding to Persad-Bissessar’s claim that she did not interfere or influence the Integrity Commissions decision, the PNM leader declared: “Madam Prime Minister, you are not speaking the truth.” Rowley further claimed that Khan had interceded on her behalf.

When the T&T Guardian contacted Hosein yesterday after Rowley’s revelation but he declined to comment and said he had not heard the speech. “But the matter of the Integrity Commission is before the President,” he said.

Staying on the Integrity Commission issue, Rowley said that the issue must now be filling the vacancies on the Commission, which cannot be done without the consent of the Opposition leader. Since he has been suspended from Parliament by Persad-Bissessar, he was curious to find out how President Anthony Carmona will fill the spaces.

“I want to tell President Carmona, that in case he is not aware, the Prime Minister throw me out of Parliament but any approval must come through me,” he said. Rowley said despite that he is “putting the President on notice” that he is still willing to meet and treat with the appointment of the new Integrity Commission bunder a new chairman.

Rowley also called on Persad-Bissessar to call the election now rather than later. He acknowledged that the elections were constitutionally due before September 17, but said with the budget cycle starts on October 1, making for a tight start to the new term for the next government. He said that Persad-Bissessar will go down in history as the only leader to lose five elections after riding into power on a wave of approval. He was referring to the four elections in 2013 and the upcoming 2015 general elections.

He said the Government, during its five year term, spent more than $400 billion in successive budgets without anything major to show for it.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ILP goes after the undecided
« Reply #381 on: May 25, 2015, 10:31:47 AM »
ILP goes after the undecided

Jack Warner ILP Leader

Leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP) Jack Warner will announce his slate of 41 candidates only when the UNC discloses theirs. “We don’t want to begin too early and burn ourselves out. We will not announce candidates until after the UNC announces theirs for obvious reasons. We will go full speed ahead after the date is given. No party shall form the government without the ILP,” he said. He added that he was not overly concerned about the polls.

The ILP held an interfaith service held at Passage to Asia Restaurant in Chaguanas yesterday. Warner said it was only fitting that the party should hold prayers and thanksgiving on the say that People’s National Movement (PNM) held a family day at Nelson Mandela Park, Port-of-Spain and the People’s Partnership (PP) celebrated its fifth year in power at Macoya.

He said although recent Guardian Media Limited polls conducted by Louis Bertrand of H.H.B. and Associates showed that the PNM was in the lead in Tunapuna, St Joseph and San Fernando West, this was far from the truth. He said the ILP has already started campaigning “We have had cottage meetings in several areas. We were in Chaguanas East and West, in Tunapuna, Toco/Sangre Grande. We will launch  our public meetings from June 5,” Warner said.

He added that the ILP will support a national front and will work towards getting the support of undecided voters. Warner accused the media to behaving as if only two parties existed in T&T. “Nothing is further from the truth. The country is set up to believe if you are not PNM then you PP or vice versa. They behaving like the Debates Commission. They dismiss other parties,” he said.

Asked which seat he planned to contest, Warner said: “I dont know where I will contest whether it is Chaguanas East or West, or Lopinot Bon/Air.”

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 26, 2015, 06:12:56 AM »
I somehow feel the undecided eh interested in nothing Jack have to offer but good luck to mih frienemy......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 26, 2015, 10:24:09 PM »

Well Ralph Maraj really going after the PNM now boi

He is T&T own political grasshopper.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 27, 2015, 05:14:11 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150526/news/de-leon-removed-as-tv-host

De Leon removed as TV host
Published on May 26, 2015, 9:06 pm AST
By Anna Ramdass
3 CommentsArticle
Share:FacebookTwitter

There are questions surrounding the removal of Paige De Leon as host of CNC3's On The Margin programme and whether this action was taken following a complaint from a Government minister.

On The Margin is a pre-general election programme which was launched by Guardian Media Limited (GML) last month.

The programme focuses on different constituencies with analysis and reports from the people on the ground as well as the respective MPs.

De Leon hosted the show, which airs on Tuesdays, up to last week. Last night's edition was hosted by Guardian editor-in-chief Orin Gordon. Last week, Works and Infrastructure Minister Dr Suruj Rambachan, former People's National Movement (PNM) government minister Mariano Browne and Pastor Clive Dottin were guests on the programme.

Contacted yesterday, De Leon confirmed that she was removed as programme host but refused to divulge any further information.

"I am not the host of the show any longer, however, I continue to work with Guardian Media Limited on the back-end on their election coverage," she said.

Asked whether her removal came following a complaint by a Government minister, De Leon said she was unaware of that and did not have any comment.

Speaking to the Express by phone, Rambachan said De Leon did her job and he did not have an issue with her.

"Paige De Leon is employed by CNC3 and she has a job to do and she did her job, she asked me some good questions on the programme, I answered in defence of the Government and also to ensure that the Government's position on matters of delivery and governance and so on was well articulated," he said.

Asked if he made a complaint to the executives of GML about De Leon, Rambachan replied: "I don't think I should comment on Paige De Leon, my purpose is to ensure that the Government wins an election and that's what I am about."

"Media institutions and media organisations, they have every right to make their comments, it's a free country, it's a democratic country and the Government upholds press freedom," he added.

Browne said he was surprised to learn of De Leon's removal as host and he did get wind of the news earlier in the day, which prompted him to go back and watch the programme online.

"I thought she was fair, she gave Mr Rambachan a lot of room to talk, but he (Rambachan) was not very happy about the programme, he was uncomfortable," said Browne.

Browne said De Leon was a good moderator and the fact that she also caused St Joseph MP Terrence Deyalsingh to get upset on a previous programme showed that she was not biased as her questions got to both Opposition and Government members.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Say-what6888-305105921.html

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 27, 2015, 10:46:58 AM »
I somehow feel the undecided eh interested in nothing Jack have to offer but good luck to mih frienemy......

From the feedback I am getting you would be surprised!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 31, 2015, 07:16:26 PM »

Like allyuh aint hear Sat Maharaj say the capital should be moved from POS to somewhere else ( he probably thinking Penal)

:D Imagine this man have a weekly column in the Guardian. As usual the PM has nothing to say after his rants

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 01, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »

Like allyuh aint hear Sat Maharaj say the capital should be moved from POS to somewhere else ( he probably thinking Penal)

:D Imagine this man have a weekly column in the Guardian. As usual the PM has nothing to say after his rants

Not quite.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150531/news/sat-govt-should-be-given-second-term

Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha (SDMS) secretary general Satnarayan Maharaj yesterday reminded citizens that they would soon be called upon to make choices.

And he advised that each person consider how he/she made those choices.

Speaking at the SDMS Indian Arrival Day celebrations at the Parvati Girls' Hindu College, Maharaj said, there was no need to change an administration which had transformed the country.

Instead, he said, they should be given another chance.

Maharaj said, "At this time, where choices must be made, remember it is good to change but to change under what circumstances? If we have in place administrators who have transformed the country, then they should be given an opportunity to do even more. So you do not change for the sake of change."

He said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar had adopted all the children of Trinidad and Tobago by providing free education from early childhood to university. :bs:..I probably confused.....this wasnt the case BEFORE she came in?

And he described Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh as a visionary man. Persad-Bissessar, Gopeesingh, Fyzabad MP Chandresh Sharma, and Oropouche West MP Stacy Roopnarine also attended the celebration.

Maharaj reminded East Indians about their ancestors who travelled to Trinidad to aquire and achieve.

But he lamented that many years ago Hindus were forced to change if they wanted to become professionals.

"One of the most brilliant young men in 1930s was a man called Krishna Deonarine. He became a lawyer and the first thing he did was to change his name to Adrian Cola Rienzi and you know how damn foolish we are? We name a whole complex after him, Rienzi Complex, where our fathers walked the fields to build a complex. A man who distanced himself from everything that our ansectors believed in," he said.

Maharaj said he was proud to see young women, wearing their raksha (protection band) on their wrists and stethoscopes around their necks.

Maharaj said it was time the capital city moved from Port of Spain as the education facilities were moving away from the city.

"We have talked about it in the past, we must move the capital city of Port of Spain and put it elsewhere. It does not suit us anymore, the education capital has moved from Port of Spain. It is now in St Augustine and in five years it will be in Debe/Penal...that is change," he said.

But as she addressed the gathering, Persad-Bissessar, said she disagreed with Maharaj's ideology.

She said it was not necessary to move the capital city, but lift up the entire country.

"I do not agree with Mr Maharaj when he says we must move the capital city from Port of Spain. I believe that you don't bring down one to lift another, we must lift up the entire country of Trinidad and Tobago, make every place of Trinidad and Tobago as the capital city," she said. Persad-Bissessar said her Government was lifting all areas in Trinidad and Tobago by building the first University of the West Indies campus in Debe, building the San Fernando to Point Fortin Highway and would soon commence the San Fernando to Mayaro Highway.

She recognize she could get licks for it so she cover it one time.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 01, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Tyj8knMAHHc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Tyj8knMAHHc</a>

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 02, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150531/editorial/the-govts-scorched-earth-policy

The term "scorched earth policy" is one taken originally from the lexicon of military warfare and refers to a situation in which a retreating army deliberately destroys any and everything in the area from which it is retreating so as to leave nothing which might be useful to the advancing enemy.

The term was subsequently adopted in business to denote a "takeover prevention strategy in which the target company seeks to make itself less attractive to hostile bidders by selling off assets, taking on high levels of debt or initiating other activities that may damage the company if it is purchased."

It would appear that the present Government is now extending the meaning of the term to the sphere of politics and government. That is the only possible explanation for its haste in bringing before the Parliament, in the last few days before it is prorogued, a slew of bills which can only be described as highly controversial and contentious.

The Government in the last few days has introduced the Industrial Relations Amendment (IRA) Bill, the Cybercrime Bill, and the State Land Regularisation of Tenure Amendments Bill, all of which contain provisions so radically extreme that, if passed, they will be certain to ignite serious protests from various stakeholders and throw the relevant areas of national life into utter turmoil.

The Industrial Relations Amendment Bill, for example, contains such draconian provisions that it has succeeded in bringing together, in opposition to it, both labour umbrella bodies, ie Natuc and Fitun, as well as the Employers Consultative Association.

These three bodies are unquestionably the major stakeholders in industrial relations in this country and their relationship has traditionally been one of antagonism and contention. To see them now unite in opposition to this Bill is a testament to the destructive and disruptive potential of the provisions contained in it.

One provision in particular is aimed like a dagger at the heart of trade unions. This is the provision which allows an employee, who does not even have to be a member of a union, to apply to the Industrial Court for the decertification of that union.

The Cybercrime Bill is no less draconian in its own sphere. According to Alison McKenzie, executive director of the International Press Institute, the bill contains "some problematic provisions that would lead not only to the criminalisation of legitimate journalistic activity but also (to the) disregard (of) fundamental journalistic rights and principles."

One such provision is contained in Clause 21 (2 and 3) of the proposed Bill. This clause states that "anyone who damages the reputation of another person; or subjects another person to public ridicule, contempt, hatred or embarrassment, commits an offence", and faces fines of $100,000 and/or up to three years in jail. Let us not mince matters here. Under this provision every independent and reputable columnist in this country, including yours truly, could end up in jail.

The latest monstrosity to be delivered to Parliament by this Government is the State Land Regularisation of Tenure Amendments Bill. This Bill has been in the works for many years. Now suddenly, three weeks before Parliament is due to be prorogued, the Government introduces it for debate with one drastic and utterly irresponsible change. The Bill, which had previously allowed persons who began squatting on designated State lands prior to January 1, 1998 to have entitlement to the land, now changes the date to June 13, 2014.

This means that thousands more squatters will be entitled to state lands than previously intended. In other words, with that change in date, the Government proposes to give away thousands of acres of state lands to squatters. And if you think this is an exaggeration, please note that the Bill places no limit on the size of the plots which would be regularised nor does it even confine such regularisation to nationals of this country.

What is to be noted is that with all these bills the Government presented no white papers nor did they hold any consultations with key stakeholders. What becomes clear therefore is that the Government deliberately sought to bring these bills to Parliament in the most clandestine and surreptitious manner possible, a design aided and abetted by the irresponsibly foolish strategy of the PNM Opposition to boycott the Parliament.

What is also to be noted is that if these bills should pass into law then the Government, should it win re-election, has, with malice aforethought, armed itself with weapons to use against its enemies. And if it should lose the election then it has left its successor a blackened terrain on which only turmoil can grow
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:17:01 PM by Bourbon »

1]; } ?>