Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 168585 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2014, 11:09:12 PM »
Extolling KPB as the greatest leader T&T has ever seen 2) Vilifying Rowley and 3) Pushing the head that since 2010 this country has improved by leaps and .....etc.etc

Bourbon, I feel you should be mature enough to know by now politicians in power going to big-up and embellish their achievements. And everyone of us on this forum, pro or con, should know what is fact or what is fiction.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2014, 04:45:58 AM »
Extolling KPB as the greatest leader T&T has ever seen 2) Vilifying Rowley and 3) Pushing the head that since 2010 this country has improved by leaps and .....etc.etc

Bourbon, I feel you should be mature enough to know by now politicians in power going to big-up and embellish their achievements. And everyone of us on this forum, pro or con, should know what is fact or what is fiction.

I know that. I think you know that. What curious locally especially that anything that does not seem to favor the government is automatically branded by certain sycophants as "PNM".  I guess the rationale of people like Capil Bisson is "anything PNM is biased...I anti-PNM so I unbiased."

It on local forums...not this one (yet?).
It in the media.
Right now there is an unprecedented amount of propaganda pushing the government's agenda.

For example...the Highway Re-route Movement issue. There is a shadow group that is entitled "Citizens4dhighway". This group...who's members are unknown...are able to fund full page ads with petty attacks on Kublalsingh. Like this one for example.

The Guardian...who vacillates at times between shame and no shame....printed the ad..then retracted it and apologized. None of the other major newspapers ran the ad after. This same group is now attempting to change the conversation to claim that the media is against them and suppressing their rights etc.

There is a difference between embellishment of achievements...and Propaganda. It seems like the incumbent favors the latter. Which is understandable cause that was the same recipe for 2010...Vilify the leader of the opposing party...spin propaganda and fool the masses. When that tactic got them into government...then the general population started to realize that was all that they had planned.

If people could see a newspaper report as biased..but an opinion column as unbiased...especially someone who has a KNOWN agenda like Bisson....well my statement stands.

Everybody post what you think relevant and we go argue about it after.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:07:50 AM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »

I know that. I think you know that. What curious locally especially that anything that does not seem to favor the government is automatically branded by certain sycophants as "PNM".  I guess the rationale of people like Capil Bisson is "anything PNM is biased...I anti-PNM so I unbiased."

It on local forums...not this one (yet?).
It in the media.
Right now there is an unprecedented amount of propaganda pushing the government's agenda.

For example...the Highway Re-route Movement issue. There is a shadow group that is entitled "Citizens4dhighway". This group...who's members are unknown...are able to fund full page ads with petty attacks on Kublalsingh. Like this one for example.

The Guardian...who vacillates at times between shame and no shame....printed the ad..then retracted it and apologized. None of the other major newspapers ran the ad after. This same group is now attempting to change the conversation to claim that the media is against them and suppressing their rights etc.

There is a difference between embellishment of achievements...and Propaganda. It seems like the incumbent favors the latter. Which is understandable cause that was the same recipe for 2010...Vilify the leader of the opposing party...spin propaganda and fool the masses. When that tactic got them into government...then the general population started to realize that was all that they had planned.

If people could see a newspaper report as biased..but an opinion column as unbiased...especially someone who has a KNOWN agenda like Bisson....well my statement stands.

Everybody post what you think relevant and we go argue about it after.

Move to the head of the class!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2014, 10:08:49 AM »
Bourbon, I share your sentiments, but unfortunately I don't see any socalled unbias news coming out of TT as election approaches. If you can produce an unbias forum, good luck. Because you will always run into a brickwall when fellow forumites start to argue just like we doing right now. What I or we would like to see is constructive and mature comments(for and against) the parties involve in the coming election. But that is wishfull thinking. That add on Kubalsingh is right of the pages of US political "public relations" firms. Right now money talks, ethics walk. Sorry Breds, that is the nature of politics right now.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
Bourbon, I share your sentiments, but unfortunately I don't see any socalled unbias news coming out of TT as election approaches. If you can produce an unbias forum, good luck. Because you will always run into a brickwall when fellow forumites start to argue just like we doing right now. What I or we would like to see is constructive and mature comments(for and against) the parties involve in the coming election. But that is wishfull thinking. That add on Kubalsingh is right of the pages of US political "public relations" firms. Right now money talks, ethics walk. Sorry Breds, that is the nature of politics right now.
Unfortunately the politics you are referring to places race and party politics above country and nation building.
Should progressive Trinbagonians who love their country above race and party politics accept and condone this sort of politics being promoted by the PPG right now?
I don't think so.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
I not expecting unbiased news. Like you I would like constructive and articulate discussion on the facts and issues. So as far as I concerned..post any article from any source and defend it. I not going and get my blood pressure raised because somebody doesnt share my opinion.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
 I regularly visit this thread for  comic relief . I enjoy the expressions of fake outrage  about everything that is wrong   with Trinidad .

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2014, 12:11:02 AM »
I regularly visit this thread for  comic relief . I enjoy the expressions of fake outrage  about everything that is wrong   with Trinidad .

Goat, you maybe right, but I am quite sure most Trinis have serious concern when things go wrong in the country. Some may fake and some,(like me, sometimes bury my head in the sand because I just get fed up). But we have concerns for TT. I from EDR. You think I faking about the current situation in East Pos.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2014, 07:14:07 AM »
From the Express.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Who-constitutes-the-PNM-base--281395561.html

Who constitutes the PNM base?
By Theodore Lewis

Story Created: Nov 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM ECT

Story Updated: Nov 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM ECT
The base in politics speaks of the core supporters of a party. Not all supporters, but the ones who must vote for you if you are to win. Your bread and butter voters. Rain or shine. For Barack Obama, that base was women, immigrants, blacks, Hispanics, youth and the college educated. It is very important in elections for parties to identify their base and to make sure they are sufficiently energised and motivated so that on election day they come out and vote in a predictable way.
Parties that do not identify their base and speak directly to them sometimes find that they lose them.
Historically, the People’s National Movement (PNM) has been disinclined to identify its base, and to openly court their vote. The base has been taken for granted. But that is dangerous. You could do that under Williams, but on two occasions after Williams, 1986, and more recently 2010, the PNM found itself stranded on the beach on the morning after elections, its base having abandoned it.
That has never happened to any party representing “sugar workers”. There has never been a mass exodus of Indian voters from the parties that represent them. And that is because the parties that represent them do not keep their partisans a secret. In 1986 these voters simply followed Panday, while Africans were abandoning the PNM.
Race is the prime factor in our politics, not because we are fundamentally fixated on race as a people, or because we are fundamentally ethnocentric. Not at all. It is simply because of history, and colonial manipulation that race separates us. It is a known fact that indentures were brought here after emancipation to provide competition for Africans in sugar, and thus to ensure continuation of the crop. The planter class were interested in keeping wages down, and making sure that they had workers on the job come Monday morning. With the advent of party politics, East Indians in particular showed preference for a party logic that would ensure the concerns of their communities, including cultural preservation, will be met.
Ask Sat Maharaj about this, and about which is the party of Hindus.
The definitive study on this is that done by anthropologist Morton Klass. Trinidad was not the only country in the world to which people were transported deviously for the purpose of working on plantations, and where the sociology was thus shaped. In Guyana and Malaysia there was the same thing. Early in the 20th century, Trinidad was recognised by anthropologists as a country that seemed to meet the criteria of the plural society as identified by Furnival. Drawing on examples from South Asia, Furnival defined the plural society as one in which the people mixed but did not combine. They met in the market place for economic reasons then went back to their local communities within which they were sealed off from each other, having no “social will”. Klass observed that Africans wanted a mixed Creole society, but Indians wanted to preserve culture. Thus party politics reflected the social status quo.
In 2000 the census of Malaysia showed that 58 per cent of the population were native Malay, 24 per cent Chinese, eight per cent Indian, and ten per cent other ethnicities. The dominant political parties in the country, since the Second World War, were the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), the Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA), and the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC).
There was no disingenuous concealment of the racial logic of political parties. In 1946, recognising that economic progress could not proceed in the face of open racial politics, the three dominant parties banded together to form the Barisan National Front. This coalition has ruled the country since then.
What we can notice in our country is that whenever there is a credible coalition party, the African voter pulls away from the PNM. That softness of loyalty comes from the party being tongue-tied and afraid to identify who its core supporters are, and what are their needs. But it also comes, as Klass observed, form African longing for the creole society—the melting pot.
Raffique Shah points out in a recent article the importance of the African vote to the People’s Partnership victory, and he urged Ramlogan and others to tone down their alienating rhetoric.
What Shah is saying is there is not a strong connection between the PNM and its supporters, even in the corridor.
Long time Tantie Popo used to say “Mind yuh business”.
Yes, despite the saffron dress, and her proclamation of Chaguanas as the “heartland”, people in Charlotteville, Toco, San Fernando, and Arima voted for Kamla Persad-Bissessar the last time.
But the partnership ignored them after the election. Fazal Karim could see only youth from south of the Caroni river when he talks about skills training. He has moved the headquarters of COSTAATT to Chaguanas.
Black people now stand at the margins of the society, as Education Minister Tim Gopeesingh stands in front of the denominational school, never the Government school, smiling and proclaiming the scholars, as men in tunics move the body of yet another unemployed black dropout from the school system to the Forensic’s Unit. A gangster in the employ of somebody distant.
The PNM has to learn how to speak openly about this, even as it courts the vote of all races, as it should. Basdeo Panday in his time was unashamed in speaking to his “sugar workers.” And Kamla has made it clear her people must have a law school and hospital.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2014, 07:48:03 AM »
If allyuh start at this rate wha go happen time they announce elections?

But..there are points to consider in that.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »
If allyuh start at this rate wha go happen time they announce elections?

But..there are points to consider in that.

Then we will just put the election stuff. That will get priority. Simple!

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »

Goat, you maybe right, but I am quite sure most Trinis have serious concern when things go wrong in the country. Some may fake and some,(like me, sometimes bury my head in the sand because I just get fed up). But we have concerns for TT. I from EDR. You think I faking about the current situation in East Pos.
No I  don't think that you fakin nuthin . but  when it is said and done  Trinidad is paradise compared to other Caribbean countries . Could have even be better except for the mismanagement for the last 40 years.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2014, 07:36:48 AM »

What are the chances of another cabinet re-shuffle close to an election? Min of Health may be the next victim because he doing rhel shit now and people in the country calling for a resignation.

A cabinet like a deck of cards that needs to be re-shuffled every couple months

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2014, 11:11:06 PM »
Heliconia Foundation Presents: Senator Stuart Young

Senator and PNM Candidate Stuart Young gives an inspiring feature address at the Heliconia Foundation's Membership meeting on October 30th 2014.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmy3fogAOgc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zmy3fogAOgc</a>

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2014, 06:22:51 AM »

Senator and PNM Candidate Stuart Young gives an inspiring feature address at the Heliconia Foundation's Membership meeting on October 30th 2014.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmy3fogAOgc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zmy3fogAOgc</a>

pro I eh too intrigued about d tone and direction yuh takin diss thread you know.......open ah candidate profile thread nah or someting and save this for news and views dat could affect d elections...........come nah
I pity the fool....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2014, 11:22:17 AM »

pro I eh too intrigued about d tone and direction yuh takin diss thread you know.......open ah candidate profile thread nah or someting and save this for news and views dat could affect d elections...........come nah

If you knew me by now Lefty then you would know that I would tell you that you should go start that thread yourself and not sit down there like some sort of lazy slave master and order me to do something that is totally unnecessary that you can easily do yourself.

As far as I am concerned the video is related to the upcoming General Elections and intelligent people will also look at the candidates they are being asked to vote for. With that in mind the video is quite suitable for posting to this thread that I started and nothing you can say will make me change my opinion on that so why waste your breathe?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:37:54 AM by Socapro »

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »
fine line between provokin opinion and attempting to sway it......does done have to put up wit dat shit with d PP propaganda....guess ah sensitive regardless where it come from....go brave oui
I pity the fool....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2014, 06:16:59 PM »
fine line between provokin opinion and attempting to sway it......does done have to put up wit dat shit with d PP propaganda....guess ah sensitive regardless where it come from....go brave oui
Politics is biased from every political party's point of view so why would you expect something from the PNM to be balanced towards the PP?

Right now most people in T&T are sick and tired of the PP propaganda adverts about their government working for them that they are being forced to look at every 15 minutes on most of the TV channels and even when they go to the cinema in order to get away from the propaganda.

Do you see me complaining when we keep in mind that those adverts are being paid for with T&T taxpayers money siphoned from the treasury? No you don't, so stop complaining about a PNM video promoting the merits of one of their young candidates.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:22:20 PM by Socapro »

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2014, 06:45:21 PM »
Politics is biased from every political party's point of view so why would you expect something from the PNM to be balanced towards the PP?

Right now most people in T&T are sick and tired of the PP propaganda adverts about their government working for them that they are being forced to look at every 15 minutes on most of the TV channels and even when they go to the cinema in order to get away from the propaganda.

Do you see me complaining when we keep in mind that those adverts are being paid for with T&T taxpayers money siphoned from the treasury? No you don't, so stop complaining about a PNM video promoting the merits of one of their young candidates.

see mih point fly right over yuh head so I done
I pity the fool....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2014, 02:01:53 AM »

see mih point fly right over yuh head so I done

I got your point which is why I said to start with that Politics is biased from every political party's point of view.

You need to get realistic and enter into the real world.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »
No I  don't think that you fakin nuthin . but  when it is said and done  Trinidad is paradise compared to other Caribbean countries . Could have even be better except for the mismanagement for the last 40 years.

Goat, the real issue is that Black people did not put their economic house in order after 40 yrs. The now reapping what they sow. NOTHING!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-11-09/%E2%80%98we-have-broken-bad-habit-pnm%E2%80%99

Cleavon Raphael
Published:
Sunday, November 9, 2014
UNC PRO, Rodney Charles

Former T&T ambassador to the United Nations, Rodney Charles is back home to lead the election campaign for the ruling People’s Partnership administration in the run-up to the 2015 general election. Charles is convinced the PP will retain political office because the PNM has stuck to its old policies which failed the party in the 2010 polls. Charles said the PNM does not have the intellectual capacity to convince the electorate to put the party back into power.

Q: Mr Charles, your political allegiance is with the People’s Partnership coalition Government, but why did you give up what in anybody’s estimation was the cushy job of our country’s ambassador to the United Nations to become PRO and campaign manager of the main component of the PP’s administration, the United National Congress (UNC)?
A: (A broad smile at the Rienzi Complex headquarters of the UNC) Well before we get there, let me say that my three-year experience at the UN was exhilarating, fascinating, and one which afforded me the invaluable opportunity to get a major understanding of international affairs.

My tour of duty there, I think, raised the profile of T&T as I visited more than ten countries, I acted for the president of the UN’s General Assembly, and T&T made its voice heard on such serious global topics as climate change, sustainable development, the role of small states, and the UN’s work in Haiti.

And at the UN—even today—I always relied on the guidance of Prime Minister Mrs Kamla Persad-Bissessar who was, and is, highly respected internationally. To answer the second part of your question, Clevon, at this stage of my life the future of T&T is more important than anything else. I believe that the Prime Minister is the best person to take this country forward at this time. So when Mrs Persad-Bissessar called on me to assist the campaign, I was most willing to comply with her request.

Ok, Mr Charles, let’s not get into general election campaign mode just yet, it is still more than a year to go, right?
True, true, but part of my current assignment with my colleagues in the PP and the UNC, to be brief, is to ensure that she continues in her thrust to help our country live up to its potential and achieve its destiny as the best country in the world in which to live and raise our families. The UN was a very good experience, but it’s time to move on.

Although it is a bit too early, how are preparations coming along for the 2015 polls?
Quite good and at this point, things are advancing much better than the timelines we established. As you know, the party has remained very active in the past four-plus years since we were elected as part of the PP administration. We’ve been in a continuous state of mobilisation, and we’ve engaged a number of party-building exercises to deliver various levels of training and personal development to members and activists.

You make it sound as if you’re ready to roll but…
Yes, the party is always ready, and we’ve grown tremendously since political leader and Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar took charge.

Not wanting to let the cat out of the bag, what will the UNC campaign look like next year?
Our campaign will be very action and achievement focused, rooted in data. We know the distressing extent of damage we found when we took office in 2010, we know the kind of work and commitment it took to clean up that damage and start re-directing our country, and we know the kind of work we put into getting our country on a stronger, more people-centred footing.

I keep hearing that term from the UNC—‘people-centred’, exactly what does the party mean by that, isn’t all of politics ‘people-centred’?
All of politics in democracies in theory is people-centred. But in practice, we have had a different experience at a number of stages in our development. What this means is that we have broken the bad habit of the PNM government of talking people, but not necessarily acting in the peoples’ interest. We talk with the people, listen to the people, and act on their behalf.

Looking at the party’s public position and its stand against Dr Keith Rowley, leader of the Opposition, what are your views on the fitness and readiness of him to assume the mantle of leadership of T&T?
That’s simple, even four years into his tenure as the leader of his party, he has failed to enunciate policies, plans and programmes to take this country forward.

Well it’s one thing to say that, but why exactly do you say that?
Let me give an example. On the Isis matter, Rowley prefers like an ostrich to bury his head in the sand by not stepping up to the plate on an issue of global terrorism. The global community is united in its resolve to confront this issue. He still fails to understand that the fight against terrorism is a responsibility that cannot be ignored.

As a leader of the PNM we await his alternative policies on health, job creation, education and crime. He seems unwilling or unable to articulate alternative policies which will provide voters with a clear choice. We are ready for that policy debate, but the ideas on the PNM side are not forthcoming. Surely a rapid rail project, which will place thousands of taxi drivers on the breadline, is not the best that the PNM can offer us at this time.

I do not want you to anticipate me, but what you’re saying is…
In fact, my apologies, I just want to make this point...After four years as leader of his party, Rowley’s best showing has been to return to a failed and rejected Vision 2020, which he is now re-branding as Vision 2030. The people of our country rejected that vision in 2010 and to now see him having so little imagination that he has no choice but to revert to a failed vision tell us that he is fishing for ideas.

Mr Charles, some of the PNM’s critics are saying that the present leadership of the party does not have the intellectual capacity to regain political office…
But that is precisely why I referred to him rehashing old PNM failed policies. What we’re looking at is Rowley having achieved three dramatic failures with motions of no confidence, and a fabricated e-mail scandal that has ricocheted right back into his lap as his own creation and his own failure.

Speaking about that matter, whatever happened to that scandal?
That is an issue which will in the fullness of time tell us a lot about Rowley and his decision-making processes.

The PNM is now announcing a few fresh faces for the election, so clearly the backlash is not occupying Dr Rowley’s attention…
He will not admit to being worried about what happens next with the e-mail scandal but I assure you, he is quite worried because once those e-mails are proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to have been a complete fabrication, it will tell us whether we can take him seriously.

When you see Dr Rowley talking about a vision 2030, talking about the return of a rapid rail project for which they paid half a billion taxpayers’ dollars for a box of paper, talking about new people and new faces, it is as if he is afflicted with a condition that is causing him to repeat every major PNM mistake.

Mr Charles, do you honestly believe the PP can be returned for a second consecutive term next year?
The UNC and People’s Partnership have taken government beyond the boundaries we inherited. The previous government said things like children can’t get more than a certain amount of money for life-saving treatment because of the law, but we decided that a separate authority must be set up that guarantees children a fighting chance if they need medical care.

The question is not whether the UNC and People’s Partnership will get a second term, (confidently) the question now is by what majority, and that is where our work is focused.

What makes you feel so confident of a PP victory?
I’m happy to tell you…the PNM has always dominated and ruled people. But, we govern and listen to people. The PNM sees itself as being entitled to power, and being entitled to use power the way it wants. The UNC and People’s Partnership believe power belongs to the people, and believe true power resides in the population, not in the institutions of government.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/ILP-woes-282010061.html

ILP woes
By Indira Rampersad

Story Created: Nov 8, 2014 at 2:59 AM ECT

Story Updated: Nov 8, 2014 at 2:59 AM ECT
The resignation of Lyndira Oudit earlier this week from the Independent Liberal Party (ILP) raises serious questions about the party’s capacity to endure and contest the 2015 general elections. This however, hardly comes as a surprise as the ILP’s fortunes have been on the decline since the Chaguanas West by-elections on July 29, 2013, when the party secured a whooping 12,631 (69 per cent) votes to the UNC’s 5,126 (28 per cent) and the PNM’s 422 (2 per cent).
In the local government election which followed on October 21, 2013, the ILP managed to amass 102,918 votes to the PNM’s 188,393, the UNC’s 122,346 and the COP’s 32,496 votes.
It was in the St Joseph by-election of November 4, 2013, however, the ILP’s woes began to surface. The PNM wrested the seat from the UNC with 6,356 votes compared to the UNC’s 5,577 and the ILP’s 1,976. The ILP candidate, Om Lalla, lost his deposit.
Since then, the ILP’s short history has been riddled with a spate of defections and resignations. In early November, 2013, former ILP councillor, Faaiq Mohammed, broke ranks with the party and voted in favour of the UNC resulting in the failure to elect a new Chaguanas mayor and deputy mayor.
In late November, 2013, former interim chairman, Robin Montano, resigned from the ILP claiming he “was not into window dressing”. He had joined the ILP for change but felt that “things had gotten derailed and diverted” and “there was no room for dialogue with his former political leader”. Mr Montano lamented then he had “no real power nor authority” and “neither he nor the executive committee were involved in decision-making”.
In July 2014, the defected Chaguanas councillor, Faaiq Mohammed, was accused by ILP leader, Jack Warner, of taking a bribe. He took the matter to court and was awarded just under $.25 million for character attack. Justice Vasheist Kokaram ruled that Warner’s allegation was “out-of-place, irresponsible and unsubstantiated.”
Then came the resignation of former deputy political leader, Anna Deonarine, in early September. At about that same time, she was seen posing in a warm welcome with the UNC’s Oropouche West MP, Roodal Moonilal, at an Independence Day classical singing competition which Minister Moonilal hosted in Debe.
In late September, Reneera Chan, the lone ILP councillor at the Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation, resigned from the party. Ms Chan felt it was unconscionable to continue to support the ILP because its primary objective was to put the Opposition PNM back into power in the 2015 general elections. The next day, former Balmain/Calcutta No. 2 local government candidate, Indarjit Seepersad, announced his resignation from the ILP, saying he did not like the direction in which the party is heading.
ILP woes are again evident with the resignation of Lyndira Oudit this week. Questions abound as to what has prompted all these resignations. It had come as a surprise when Mr Warner had passed the baton of the ILP leadership to Ms Oudit in a non-election where members of the executive were nominated, rather than elected. That the executive positions were uncontested was a good indication of a party in serious decline. This could have been Mr Warner’s rationale for relinquishing the leadership.
As for Ms Deonarine, given the timing, one can only surmise that her resignation had to do with the meteoric rise of Ms Oudit to the position of political leader and the clandestine cat fight which ensued.
Like Montano, Deonarine and the ILP councillors, Ms Oudit seems disenchanted with the way business is conducted in the party. Her bare utterances suggest that there is an element of autocracy on the part of Warner which does not allow anyone to rise above him. Echoing the words of Montano, Oudit “felt her leadership was a showpiece, since Warner, made the decisions even though she was nominally the leader. Ms Oudit stated that “The party always has, had or seen Mr Warner as being the leader. It was his party from April, May, June, July last year to the present time. So you cannot separate the party from Jack Warner and vice versa.” In short, Mr Warner has been sitting comfortably in the passenger seat of the ILP while dexterously controlling the steering wheel.
Now Mr Warner has resumed leadership of the party admitting that Ms Oudit had never made the transition to political leader. But what exactly is responsible for this?
Is it the very strong and indomitable persona of Jack Warner and a tendency on his part to autocracy? Or is it the frailty of Oudit herself, who like many others, grossly miscalculated the potential of the ILP.
Who, then, is left in the ILP and what lies ahead for Jack Warner? Hardly prepared to deploy the endless resources as before, Warner may be fast becoming another leader without a party as Chaguanas West seems more than likely to return to the UNC in 2015.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
All I want for Christmas is ah election ,ah election, ah election that would make me very happy .
Santa ask mama kams to bring that for me .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2014, 12:31:34 AM »
These polls are important but should not be taken as testament to what will happen on election day. However not surprised a lot of people are disappointed and displeased with the current government.

Poll: PNM will take marginals in 2015 election

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Poll-PNM-will-take-marginals-in-2015-election-282090731.html

By Joel Julien
Story Created: Nov 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM ECT
Story Updated: Nov 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM ECT

IF the general election constitutionally due next year were held now, the People’s National Movement (PNM) would get the most votes in the marginal constituencies of Tunapuna and San Fernando West, according to the findings of a poll conducted by the North American Caribbean Teachers Association (NACTA).

The PNM would however not get the “majority support” and a run-off election will be triggered, the poll’s results found.
“The findings of an opinion survey conducted by the North American Caribbean Teachers Association (NACTA) last month showed the opposition PNM taking an early lead in the marginal Tunapuna and San Fernando West seats in the next general elections,” a release from NACTA stated yesterday.

“If an election were held now, the PNM will wrest both seats from the (Congress of the People) COP with plurality support in a three-way contest (with the ILP or some other third force) if the incumbents, Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan and Winston Dookeran respectively, are the nominees,” the poll stated.

Dookeran is the Foreign Affairs Minister while Seepersad-Bachan is the Minister of Public Administration.
The poll stated that both the PNM and the People’s Partnership are in a close race to win the general election with the COP only likely to win the St Augustine seat currently held by its political leader Legal Affairs Minister Prakash Ramadhar.

“The PP and PNM are running almost neck and neck nationally in popular support as well as in projected seats they expect to win. However, if the ruling People’s Partnership were to replace the incumbents in both as well as in several marginal seats with credible alternatives and if the electoral system were also to be changed requiring a run off if no candidate gets majority support, the PP is likely to improve its chance of retaining both seats as well as the government,” the NACTA release stated.

“Large majorities of voters in Sando West and Tunapuna, as indeed in several other government held marginal seats, are extremely dissatisfied with the representation of the incumbent MPs. Tunapuna and San Fernando West, and several other seats, are proving to be tough challenges for the PP to retain as the PNM seems to be on course to recapture several traditional seats (on the East-West corridor) it lost to the PP in the May 2010 general elections. The COP is not likely to win any seat except St Augustine which has been a traditional UNC (United National Congress) seat,” it stated.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is still “very likable nationally” but several ministers are “repulsive”, the NACTA poll stated.
“The poll shows Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is very likable nationally and voters would like to give her a second term, but they don’t like several of the incumbents and Ministers who the population find repulsive. Major changes in UNC (PP) candidate selection would improve her chance of re-election. Voters point to several of the fresh faces being attracted to the PNM under Dr Keith Rowley’s leadership enhancing the PNM’s electoral prospect,” the release stated.

“A large percentage of voters say they are undecided or want a third force, disenchanted with the two major political forces. The third force and the undecided voters hold the key to which party will win the marginal seats and the next elections. It was found that the PNM would likely wrest several marginal seats from the PP in a one-to-one contest. But if the third force were to join the PP or the PNM in an electoral arrangement, the findings show such an alliance would more than likely capture the government. In a run-off, if no party were to win a majority, the PP is likely to retain several marginal seats improving its prospect of winning a second term in office,” it stated,

The findings of last month’s poll, conducted by Dr Vishnu Bisram, were obtained from interviews with 150 respondents in each constituency reflecting its demographics. A poll conducted last July/August revealed similar findings.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Poll-PNM-will-take-marginals-in-2015-election-282090731.html
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:35:39 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2014, 05:09:56 AM »
These polls are important but should not be taken as testament to what will happen on election day. However not surprised a lot of people are disappointed and displeased with the current government.

Poll: PNM will take marginals in 2015 election

“A large percentage of voters say they are undecided or want a third force, disenchanted with the two major political forces. The third force and the undecided voters hold the key to which party will win the marginal seats and the next elections. It was found that the PNM would likely wrest several marginal seats from the PP in a one-to-one contest. But if the third force were to join the PP or the PNM in an electoral arrangement, the findings show such an alliance would more than likely capture the government. In a run-off, if no party were to win a majority, the PP is likely to retain several marginal seats improving its prospect of winning a second term in office,” it stated,

The findings of last month’s poll, conducted by Dr Vishnu Bisram, were obtained from interviews with 150 respondents in each constituency reflecting its demographics. A poll conducted last July/August revealed similar findings.

I dont follow this.

In a one to one fight...the PNM would have the edge (which....historically the parties opposed to the PNM cite that as the time they most likely to beat the PNM.) The run-off seems to have that sentiment in mind.How then would a third force joining either way be likely to give that party an advantage? It would still be a one-on-one fight. The undecided factor is pivotal....but there's a reason they undecided. I dont think its a good assumption to simply say well...ALL the undecided/third party voters would throw their lot behind a particular party.

It seems like they playing a game with the figures. Like saying for 10 people....4 voting PNM.....3 voting PP....and 1 for a third party..and 2 undecided. It seems to me that the assumption is being made that if the third party joins with the PP...that those that chose the third party are certain to still vote the same way giving the PP 4...or vice versa with the PNM. The undecided I agree is a key vote..and I think thats where both major parties realize and focus...the PP with their media blitz and run-off...the PNM with their early declaration of candidates and their articulation of their plan. How effective the latter will be is yet to be seen...but....I not taking any basket from any poll..especially at this point in time.

Notice....government scandal news at a low. Not to say things eh happening..but...as part of the media blitz..they making sure and cover everything they can. The PP plan in full swing at the moment....which is no surprise...they know their future depends heavily on it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »
Who believe in them polls??!! ::)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »

Notice....government scandal news at a low. Not to say things eh happening..but...as part of the media blitz..they making sure and cover everything they can. The PP plan in full swing at the moment....which is no surprise...they know their future depends heavily on it.

Buh yuh nuh notice at every traffic light there are advertisements saying 'Your government working for you'. smh 

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ILP to contest 23 seats
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2014, 11:17:45 PM »
ILP to contest 23 seats
Monday, November 10 2014 (T&T Newsday)

THE Independent Liberal Party will be contesting 23 seats in the next general election. According to the ILP, the constituencies are: Arima, Barataria/San Juan, Caroni Central, Caroni East, Chaguanas East and West, Couva North, Cumuto/Manzanilla, D’Abadie/O’Meara, Diego Martin West, Fyzabad, Lopinot/Bon Air West, Mayaro, Moruga/Tableland, Pointe-a-Pierre, Port-of-Spain South, San Fernando West, Siparia, St Joseph, Tabaquite, Toco/Sangre Grande, Tunapuna and Tobago East.

The party also noted that shadow MPs were appointed in each of the 23 constituencies to be contested and the Executive Committee of the ILP will meet with them next week Sunday. The ILP’s Meet the Constituents tour will begin on Thursday in the constituency of Toco/Sangre Grande, with a cottage meeting to be held at the Damarie Hill Recreation Ground, at which the party’s political leader Jack Warner will be the feature speaker.

On November 20, the ILP will continue the tour to Lopinot/Bon Air West and on November 27 in the constituency of D’Abadie/O’Meara. ILP alderman in the Couva/Tabaquite /Talparo Regional Corporation, Sunil Ranjitsingh, was also elected as one of the party’s deputy political leaders to fill the vacancy created when attorney Rekha Ramjit was elected party chairman. The ILP also noted that its executive committee on Saturday met with a firm of Canadian consultants to review a new health plan for the country as it begins preparing its 2015 election manifesto.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PNM rolls out 2015 governance plan
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2014, 01:34:08 PM »
PNM rolls out 2015 governance plan
Yvonne Baboolal (T&T Guardian)
Published: Monday, November 17, 2014

The People’s National Movement (PNM) will embark on constitution reform, create a revenue authority for greater efficiency in tax collection and rehaul the social welfare system to cut down on state dependency immediately upon assuming office in 2015. Tobago will also be granted internal self governance, there will be an abolition of appeals to the Privy Council, the institution of the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) as the final court of appeal and investment in the development of the city of Port-of-Spain.

These are some of the plans contained in the PNM’s Vision 2030 policy document and in a National Election Contract disclosed by Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley at the party’s 45th annual convention at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain, yesterday. Rowley announced the plans in the party’s policy document, “The Road Ahead to 2030, Building a Nation, Together.” He said while the PNM’s position remains that the 1976 Republican Constitution has served T&T well, reform may be required. “We will embark on that process immediately on getting into office so that there is enough time for consultation, analysis and debate to take place before the reforms go to Parliament.”

Areas of Constitution reform will include:
• Internal Self Government for Tobago and the nature of the unitary state of T&T.
• Abolition of appeals to the Privy Council and instituting the CCJ as our final appellate court
• The role and functions of the service commissions
• Appointment of a commissioner of police
• The role and functions of the Salaries Review Commission
• The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions and the exercise of prosecutorial authority in relation to white collar crime
• Electoral system reform
• Clarification of the role and powers of the President.

Rowley said among the challenges the PNM will face is the issue of state dependency by “millionaire and scrunter” alike. He said a raft of welfare support and other programmes resulting from oil revenues had engendered the “deep underbelly of chronic dependency” seen today in particular sections of the society. “Too many people, from millionaire to scrunter, have become entirely dependent on the state,” he said. “In fact we now have some CEPEP contracts which have been captured by businessmen who obtain the contracts and make considerable profit from them while providing little or no training or improvements for workers nor any migrating of their companies from the programme. “If, and I daresay when oil prices and energy sector revenues collapse, we will not be able to maintain these expenditures and the social consequences might be dire.”

A Rowley-led government will create a tax authority to maximise revenue collection, he said. And while the PNM supports the development of different regions in T&T, the capital city must be treated like a capital city. “While we will support and encourage planned regional development in Trinidad and in Tobago, as well as the sensible decentralisation of government services, we will continue to invest in the development of the capital city of Port-of-Spain,” he said, noting the People’s Partnership Government is, at present, spending billions to upgrade Chaguanas to city status. Rowley said crime was a challenge the PNM will also have to face, especially murders. “The response here is to train and sustain, at all levels from parent to commissioner,” he said.

1]; } ?>