Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 169118 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »
Labour in for a rough time. The pressure to privatize is increasing. I don't know how long the govt going to subsidize TCL.

They raise the ownership gap of 20 % CEMEX wil be there saying hola asap.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 11, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Manning letter to Rowley as to why he did not show up for screening

10th February, 2015

Dr. the Honourable Keith Rowley
 Political Leader
 People’s National Movement
 Balisier House
 #1 Tranquillity Street
 Port of Spain

Dear Dr. Rowley,

I write to you to formally explain the reason for my absence from screening yesterday, February 9th 2015, as was expected following my acceptance to be nominated as a candidate and my subsequent nomination as one of several candidates to be screened for the San Fernando East Constituency seat. I am aware that the Chairman of the PNM’s Constituency Executive for San Fernando East did advise you and the screening committee that I would not be facing the screening committee. This letter represents my more formal and personal account in keeping with expected norms in matters of this nature.

You will recall that in our last discussions I had indicated that I would never be a problem for the PNM. I also indicated to you that I was not well, but if my health improved and I am healed then I could face the screening committee. I noted also in our communications then that if on the other hand my health does not improve I would have no other alternative but to bow out of active politics.

In the foregoing context it is now clear that although there has been some improvement of my condition, my health has not improved sufficiently. I therefore have to bow out of politics under the circumstances. It is for this reason that I did not face the screening committee. I still however trust the Almighty to fully restore my health in His time.

I wish you and the screening committee well in your future endeavours.

Sincerely,

Patrick Manning
 Member of Parliament
 San Fernando East Constituency

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »
Rowley tells Manning: Well done, savour your life's work

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Rowley-tells-Manning-Well-done-savour-your-lifes-work-291876941.html

By the Multimedia Desk

POLITICAL leader of the Peoples National Movement (PNM) Dr Keith Rowley on Friday wrote to outgoing Member of Parliament for San Fernando East Patrick Manning, praising his political service which will come to an end when at the end when the general election is called.
Manning on Monday decided not to offer himself for screening for the seat he has held since 1971, citing ill health. He wrote to Rowley on Tuesday explaining his reasons. Rowley replied today. The following is his letter -

13th February 2015

The Honourable Patrick Manning
Member of Parliament
San Fernando East Constituency

Dear Mr. Manning

Thank you very much for taking the time to record the contents of your letter to me, dated 10th February 2015. It is with a sense of deep reflection that I received this very historical missive which now forms a significant part of our Party’s records, pointing to a period of remarkable service which is inevitably coming to an end.

In a country where cynicism usually trumps the flight of the positive spirit, where public service is frequently sneered at by many who have never deigned to participate, you more than any of us know the challenges of the path, punctuated by the inevitable highs and lows. When all is said and done, we of the PNM, and I dare say of all Trinidad and Tobago, can only confirm to you that you have fought the good fights and more importantly you steadfastly kept faith in our country and all our people as you finish your course with the respect and affection which you richly deserve.

We fully understand the personal challenges and your current circumstances and are pleased to learn that you are making considerable progress towards what we hope will be as full a recovery as possible.

In the mean time we will carry the fight as you would have us do as our Party transitions to the next generation of public-spirited inductees and as our country stands strong to become well governed in the face of the stern tests of the local, regional and international arenas.

On behalf of the national Executive of the People’s National Movement (PNM), the entire membership, supporters and well-wishers, on my own behalf and that of my family and our mutual friends and associates, I hold out to you our sincerest thanks and best wishes for a future filled with satisfaction, as you savour your life’s work and the contributions you personally made to Trinidad and Tobago, a place you will leave much better than when you took the responsibility to serve it for as long and as meritoriously as you did.

Once again, I say, may God bless you and your family and may God continue to richly bless us all, the people of Trinidad and Tobago.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Keith Rowley, MP
Political Leader

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2015, 03:17:14 PM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »
It embarrassingly shows how immature T&T people are, that in an election year, during "our Carnival", that a possible contestant for Prime Minister "could lessen his chances", by being caught on camera enjoying Carnival. Is it because of the race of the young lady in the pic? I saw various pics from his FB profile of him enjoying himself with different people for Carnival but for whatever reason much focus on this one pic  The truth is that one race is vex with Mr. Rowley and the other race is vex with Ms. Lady.....I see UNITY.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:40:27 PM by Sando prince »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
It embarrassingly shows how immature T&T people are, that in an election year, during "our Carnival", that a possible contestant for Prime Minister "could lessen his chances", by being caught on camera enjoying Carnival. Is it because of the race of the young lady in the pic? I saw various pics from his FB profile of him enjoying himself with different people for Carnival but for whatever reason much focus on this one pic  The truth is that one race is vex with Mr. Rowley and the other race is vex with Ms. Lady.....I see UNITY.

ent!  only in Trinidad

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2015, 07:07:06 PM »
Never ceases to amaze.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2015, 07:29:35 PM »

Just Now on the NEWS!!!

So the UNC Campaign Manager Rodney Charles want to buy the pics of Dr Rowley and got turned down  :D..  and the girl in the controversial pic said " its just a little wine" and "is just because I am Indian, I hate racial people "   

I am curious to see how the Express and Guardian will publish these new developments tomorrow

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »
To be fair, the girl is supposedly 17 years old. However, it was she that went up to him and "tief ah wine". Is Carnival, and any real reveler will tell you that "we doh watch face". As a matter of fact, this "bottom in de road" presented a great opportunity to bring both ethnicity together - 'Jahaji Bhai". But you see these "boys with their hidden agendas and the mind benders" will try to categorize the young lady as "Lucy" or castigate the "little black boy" as ah "vagabond". What the people of "sweet T&T" keep forgetting is that when is Carnival Monday and Tuesday de "black man just feel tuh party" and as such, he " ent sorry for he ways, he dutty ways". Who could blame him doh, because is "bachanal and ah million gyul" on de road, why discriminate? So, being the "iron man" that he is, he eh "ducking" and instead handle it "Like ah Boss".

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »
To be fair, the girl is supposedly 17 years old. However, it was she that went up to him and "tief ah wine". Is Carnival, and any real reveler will tell you that "we doh watch face". As a matter of fact, this "bottom in de road" presented a great opportunity to bring both ethnicity together - 'Jahaji Bhai". But you see these "boys with their hidden agendas and the mind benders" will try to categorize the young lady as "Lucy" or castigate the "little black boy" as ah "vagabond". What the people of "sweet T&T" keep forgetting is that when is Carnival Monday and Tuesday de "black man just feel tuh party" and as such, he " ent sorry for he ways, he dutty ways". Who could blame him doh, because is "bachanal and ah million gyul" on de road, why discriminate? So, being the "iron man" that he is, he eh "ducking" and instead handle it "Like ah Boss".

Kiddies Carnival was not two Saturday's ago? Yesterday was BG PEOPLE mas.. As long as you're in a band then you're LEGAL...There is a *registration* process.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2015, 04:49:53 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/UNC-campaign-manager-asked-photographer-about-selling-photos-292534311.html?m=y&smobile=y

GENERAL election campaign mana­ger for the United National Congress (UNC) Rodney Charles yesterday admitted he called Express photographer Trevor Watson, asking if he was interested in selling his photographs of Dr Keith Rowley dancing closely with a woman on Carnival Tuesday in San Fernando. Charles, however, said the party was no longer interested in “getting control” of the images, which were posted on Watson’s Face­book profile on Tuesday evening and which has caused a firestorm on social media. Despite this, the photographs have been shared on several pro-UNC Facebook profiles with commentators accusing Rowley, the PNM’s political leader, of cavorting with an underage female in the absence of his wife and engaging in immoral behaviour unbecoming of his office. Rowley’s supporters have countered he has done nothing wrong. Rowley was photographed while playing mas in Ivan Kali­charan’s seven-section presentation, Bazodee. The woman in the photo, Ravina Rampersad, was also playing in the section, Landslid­e. Watson captured the images as Rowley and the woman were crossing the stage at a judging point. Watson said Charles called him on his cellphone at 8.50 a.m., asking him if he was willing to sell the photos. Charles did not suggest a price. “I told him it is not for sale,” said Watson. In explaining his reason for calling Watson, Charles said in an e-mail: “I got numerous calls from people saying go ahead and try to get control of that thing. I called and he (Watson) said no, but subsequently our position is that we are no longer interested... those are the facts... I had called.” In an earlier telephone interview with the Express, Charles had said: “Initially people say we better buy dem photos, and questions would have been asked, but we are not at this point interested in purchasing the photos. In the initial conversations we were interested, but we are not interested. “Those are PNM political matters and not of interest to us. Actually, there has been talk by lower level people, but it is not our policy to purchase it.” When asked what was the reason people gave for suggesting the purchase of the photos, Charles replied: “For interest. People say he is the politica­l leader. “Every day people call in to the campaign manager and say, ‘call let’s acquire this, this could be useful in the future’, but it (the photos) are no longer of interest to the party.”

Well...again..more evidence of the whole plan.

Anyhow this reminds me of the "uproar" over this by certain segments of society:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kk6a8ZcaPs0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kk6a8ZcaPs0</a>

Laughable.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Pur_Trini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2015, 05:30:53 AM »
Things bad in T&T when a man is condemned for taking a wine on Carnival Tuesday.  ;D

The rumour mill is also in overdrive.  The girl is only 17 (so?).  She was photographed with Rowley at other recent Carnival events so it wasn't just a random thing (no photos published though).

Best just ignore all this foolishness oui......
.........and may God bless our Nation.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2015, 07:13:25 AM »
He is a very foolish man.........hopeless

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2015, 07:26:33 AM »

steups d man know d camera was dey...........d fact d he eh even take dat on tells me dat it was no scene as far as he was concerned....wah he was supposed to do what? push she away or sumting...nex ting yuh goh hear he snub she(cause she indian) or some shit......storm in a tea cup and much ado 'bout' lil bit.......
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:24 AM »
Trinidadians like shit, end talk.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2015, 06:13:17 PM »
So the joker Sat Maharaj just say wha everybody already know. There is no PP anymore. Iz ah UNC party. I wonder what will be the COP leader response :)

http://www.guardian.co.tt/columnist/2015-02-19/cop-now-irrelevant-tt-politics
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:28:02 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:32 PM »
So the joker Sat Maharaj just say wha everybody already know. There is no PP anymore. Iz ah UNC party. I wonder what will be the COP leader response :)

http://www.guardian.co.tt/columnist/2015-02-19/cop-now-irrelevant-tt-politics
It good for them. And no surprise from Sat. The fact that he influences the opinions of many helps understand why some think as they do.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2015, 09:30:27 PM »

steups d man know d camera was dey...........d fact d he eh even take dat on tells me dat it was no scene as far as he was concerned....wah he was supposed to do what? push she away or sumting...nex ting yuh goh hear he snub she(cause she indian) or some shit......storm in a tea cup and much ado 'bout' lil bit.......
At some point in time......or probably never......Trinbagonians going to have to come to the realization that the reason why the country in its current state is because for too long we accept things like this from our leaders as being we culture and acceptable.........and that attitude trickles down to the people.........proper examples should be set and rules of common decency and morality should be followed.......

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2015, 05:37:28 AM »

At some point in time......or probably never......Trinbagonians going to have to come to the realization that the reason why the country in its current state is because for too long we accept things like this from our leaders as being we culture and acceptable.........and that attitude trickles down to the people.........proper examples should be set and rules of common decency and morality should be followed.......

Well to maximise the quality of the pool...better we ban things like carnival and done.

ANYHOW.....

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Sat-shocked-292802021.html

Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha (SDMS) secretary general, Satnarayan Maharaj said yesterday he was shocked by the wine People’s National Movement (PNM) political leader Dr Keith Rowley had with a teenage girl.

He called on Rowley, who is aspiring to be this country’s prime minister, to take immediate action to correct the negative images being reflected on himself and the 17-year-old girl photographed wining with him during Carnival Tuesday celebrations in San Fernando.

Maharaj said there was a clear distinction between Rowley and Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, who spent Carnival Tuesday night praying with Hindus on the occasion of Maha Shivratri.

Maharaj was responding to the controversy surrounding photographs on social media networks showing Rowley chipping on stage with Ravina Rampersad. They both played mas in Kalicharan’s band Bazodee.

Rampersad is a former pupil of Parvati Girls Hindu College, Debe. The school is operated by the SDMS.

Maharaj said Rampersad, who lives in Union Hall, near San Fernando, was now a student at the University of Trinidad and Tobago.

“I am shocked that a man with ambitions to be this country’s prime minister will behave like that with a teenager. She is a teenager, only 17 years old, a teenager in the public. We see immediately the difference between Rowley, in his ambition to be prime minister, and that of Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

“There is Kamla with her grandson. The same night she visited about ten temples in the presence of her son. They went and performed their poojas and rituals. There is a difference in the kind of person...there is a difference between these two characters,” he said.

He however also noted that Hindus were not prevented from participating in Carnival activities.

“I don’t know whether she (Rampersad) had control of the situation at all. What control does a 17-year-old have of what transpired on stage? I am looking on Facebook and the amount of negatives that is coming out there. Mr Rowley would have to take some kind of actions to correct the images that are coming out of there,” he said.

And the comments if yuh bored.

https://www.facebook.com/387986111346373/photos/a.388074248004226.1073741828.387986111346373/616610601817255/?type=1&theater
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:08:45 AM by Bourbon »

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2015, 08:26:52 AM »

Well to maximise the quality of the pool...better we ban things like carnival and done.

ANYHOW.....

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Sat-shocked-292802021.html

Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha (SDMS) secretary general, Satnarayan Maharaj said yesterday he was shocked by the wine People’s National Movement (PNM) political leader Dr Keith Rowley had with a teenage girl.

He called on Rowley, who is aspiring to be this country’s prime minister, to take immediate action to correct the negative images being reflected on himself and the 17-year-old girl photographed wining with him during Carnival Tuesday celebrations in San Fernando.

Maharaj said there was a clear distinction between Rowley and Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, who spent Carnival Tuesday night praying with Hindus on the occasion of Maha Shivratri.

Maharaj was responding to the controversy surrounding photographs on social media networks showing Rowley chipping on stage with Ravina Rampersad. They both played mas in Kalicharan’s band Bazodee.

Rampersad is a former pupil of Parvati Girls Hindu College, Debe. The school is operated by the SDMS.

Maharaj said Rampersad, who lives in Union Hall, near San Fernando, was now a student at the University of Trinidad and Tobago.

“I am shocked that a man with ambitions to be this country’s prime minister will behave like that with a teenager. She is a teenager, only 17 years old, a teenager in the public. We see immediately the difference between Rowley, in his ambition to be prime minister, and that of Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

“There is Kamla with her grandson. The same night she visited about ten temples in the presence of her son. They went and performed their poojas and rituals. There is a difference in the kind of person...there is a difference between these two characters,” he said.

He however also noted that Hindus were not prevented from participating in Carnival activities.

“I don’t know whether she (Rampersad) had control of the situation at all. What control does a 17-year-old have of what transpired on stage? I am looking on Facebook and the amount of negatives that is coming out there. Mr Rowley would have to take some kind of actions to correct the images that are coming out of there,” he said.

And the comments if yuh bored.

https://www.facebook.com/387986111346373/photos/a.388074248004226.1073741828.387986111346373/616610601817255/?type=1&theater
The bachannal culture needs to be evaluated and adjusted..........there has to be limits and control..........it starts from the top and trickles down to the general population........and I eh saying this just because of this nonsense that Rowley put heself in........but something different must be done because apparently what going on for decades has set things back and not forward..........even looking at the failures of the PP.......the PNM has failed the people also.........attitudes need to change.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2015, 09:12:09 AM »
The bachannal culture needs to be evaluated and adjusted..........there has to be limits and control..........it starts from the top and trickles down to the general population........and I eh saying this just because of this nonsense that Rowley put heself in........but something different must be done because apparently what going on for decades has set things back and not forward..........even looking at the failures of the PP.......the PNM has failed the people also.........attitudes need to change.

What "nonsense"has Rowley gotten himself into, pray tell? Because I eh following yuh.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:33 AM »

What "nonsense"has Rowley gotten himself into, pray tell? Because I eh following yuh.

Apparently to Agent Jack Bauer, playing mas for Carnival is nonsense even though Trinidad is famous for it and it is viewed as a part of our culture and it brings in so much tourists & revenue to T&T on an annual basis.

Go figure!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »

we eh go waste each other time.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2015, 10:56:37 AM »
we eh go waste each other time.......

Yuh done wasting everybody else time... doh make mih feel too special.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »

Very poetic response Elan. I enjoyed reading it.

Meh  uncle raised a good point about this.. He said he wouldn't put it pass the PPP to set Rowley up so. I don't think it was a set up.. but I wouldn't put it pass the PPP to do a stunt like this.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2015, 03:40:53 PM »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:43:10 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2015, 03:47:26 PM »

COP prepares for general election

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2015-02-20/cop%E2%80%88prepares-general-election

The Congress of the People (COP) met last night to finalise its 2015 general election campaign.

The party has received nominees for 11 constituencies including the five incumbents for San Fernando West, St Augustine, Tunapuna, Lopinot/Bon Air and Arima, general secretary Clive Weatherhead said.

Weatherhead spoke prior to last night’s meeting of COP’s national executive where its 2015 general election campaign was introduced. COP’s campaign manager Kenny Lue Chee Lip is leading efforts.

UNC officials noted yesterday Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar recently said nobody would “jumbie” her into calling an election and no UNC candidates have been screened or named. She has said Parliament would prorogue by June with elections called by September latest.

Weatherhead confirmed COP is seeking to contest more seats than the six it holds. He said the leadership had said so earlier on. Asked if that was feasible since COP lost political ground in the last Local Government polls, Weatherhead said, “we have our objectives and we’ll pursue them.”

Weatherhead said the party has already received nominations from 11 constituencies including the six seats held by COP MPs.

He said nominations have come from San Fernando West (three including incumbent Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan), St Augustine (including for COP leader incumbent MP Prakash Ramadhar), Lopinot/Bon Air (several including incumbent Lincoln Douglas) and Arima (including incumbent Rodger Samuel).

Several were also received for Tunapuna (including incumbent Winston Dookeran). Earlier this week Dookeran was mum on whether he would contest and several sources close to him believe he may not.

Weatherhead said two nominations were received for D’Abadie/O’Meara which was held by former COP MP Anil Roberts who resigned last year following the Life Sport furore, now under probe.

Nominations for that seat include Patricia Metivier who COP placed as caretaker for the seat after Roberts’ resignation.

Asked if the COP felt it had a better chance in Arima after the PNM rejected former MP Penny Beckles-Robinson— and whose supporters are upset about that—Weatherhead predicted, “We’ll continue to have a COP MP in Arima.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:30 PM »
Smh PP is crumbling

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/COP-fallout-293307201.html

Chairman of the Congress of the People (COP) Nicole Dyer-Griffith is expected to resign from the post and as a member of the party when the National Council meets later today.

And in the wake of the COP fallout, the Sunday Express has learned three Cabinet ministers are to be quizzed by police regarding their January 29 meeting held in the conference room of the Office of the Prime Minister to discuss the involvement of then National Security Minister Gary Griffith in the David West witness-tampering matter.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »

1]; } ?>