Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 168556 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #510 on: July 23, 2015, 05:10:56 AM »
Well I dont see much evidence of back problems during the Monday night forum. But who knows.

Any argument could be put forward for "partisan affiliation". Especially in Trinidad and Tobago. I think the debates commission actually suggested the hosts of all the TV stations morning shows to be part of the panel (which I think would be more to the PM's favor) with Fr. Clive Harvey as the moderator. Larry Lalla against that...why? Fr. Harvey spoke out against Vernella Alleyne Toppin's Parliament remarks...but Larry Lalla saying he biased because he didnt speak out against Rowley bringing the emails to parliament.  ::)

Oversee is not veto.. Dont think they can be compared.

Difficult to see how anybody can be assured that State Owned CMMG which basically is a full time puppet of government propaganda would be able to secure the questions in such a way to avoid "tampering and unfairness". Who else but the state would have the power to do so in such an environment? In fact...which government locally has had the phrases "tampering" and "unfairness" attached to their practices but this one? When was the last time you saw Kamla speak without a script? It might actually end up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT_INmTzamM

Well I guess you didnt watch the video and see the opinion solicited by Marty Slutsky who is the executive producer of the US presidential debate where he mentioned that since both are candidates, they avoid referring to any office that is held by either to keep it balanced.

Who else would be picking out her attire?

ALL Local stations were invited to carry the debate..so this is moot.

And highlighting "she's a woman" as the reason for this is laughable. Any candidate would be interested in looking their best. So I could understand one room...each. Not two.

But whatever...I not a poli sci major..so...I may see these as unnecessary when they not.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #511 on: July 23, 2015, 07:34:20 AM »
Well I dont see much evidence of back problems during the Monday night forum. But who knows. It's not a request that should make or break a debate..

Any argument could be put forward for "partisan affiliation". Especially in Trinidad and Tobago. I think the debates commission actually suggested the hosts of all the TV stations morning shows to be part of the panel (which I think would be more to the PM's favor) with Fr. Clive Harvey as the moderator. Larry Lalla against that...why? Fr. Harvey spoke out against Vernella Alleyne Toppin's Parliament remarks...but Larry Lalla saying he biased because he didnt speak out against Rowley bringing the emails to parliament.  ::)

Solution is to find someone where no one will dispute, only way to resolve the back and forth and get the debate happening...

Oversee is not veto.. Dont think they can be compared. She's being stringent here, while I don't fully agree, it is not unorthodox to get these demands from a PM

Difficult to see how anybody can be assured that State Owned CMMG which basically is a full time puppet of government propaganda would be able to secure the questions in such a way to avoid "tampering and unfairness". Who else but the state would have the power to do so in such an environment? In fact...which government locally has had the phrases "tampering" and "unfairness" attached to their practices but this one? When was the last time you saw Kamla speak without a script? It might actually end up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
They gave their request, it's not outlandish, PNM should also want the same... Corruption is associated with both parties so we cannot say they shouldn't have it... I guess we will see how good she really is soon, hopefully.. As a PM you need to know how to debate, bas and the doctor were masters of the debate...

Well I guess you didnt watch the video and see the opinion solicited by Marty Slutsky who is the executive producer of the US presidential debate where he mentioned that since both are candidates, they avoid referring to any office that is held by either to keep it balanced.

Just watched it, he has solid points but that is the U.S. And this is TT, expect the unexpected, different culture and way of doing things, some things will be the same but other things he will encounter with this debate will be entirely different

Who else would be picking out her attire?  Hence the reason i poised the question, to me it's ridiculous

ALL Local stations were invited to carry the debate..so this is moot. What was the date and timeline of her requests?

And highlighting "she's a woman" as the reason for this is laughable. Any candidate would be interested in looking their best. So I could understand one room...each. Not two. You can't discount the fact she's a woman, Two is unreasonable, no reason for it but like I said its Trinidad, expect the unexpected...

But whatever...I not a poli sci major..so...I may see these as unnecessary when they not.

You have some valid points but politics is about strategy, anything to gain advantage will be asked for and employed.. No matter how ridiculous it may seem... Trump giving out a phone number on national television was strategy.. It nullified his opponent, dirty tactics yes but political strategy..

Poli sci was my major and was heading for a masters in public policy.. So these requests and grand standing is not unfamiliar in a lead up to an election and significant debate... Especially since it's a first for the nation... The U.S. Debate style affair.. I think it's a great idea, but don't expect it to go smoothly at first..

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #512 on: July 23, 2015, 09:13:38 AM »
Some advice to PNM, give the pm the requests she asks for, if there is further delays, that means she's stalling.. If not, rowley should be confident enough to feel he can win... Which will bode well for the party.. This is also a strategy that has worked well in the past...

Play dead to catch corbeaux alive...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:15:49 AM by Controversial »

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 23, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »
Merle Hodge knocks campaign

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150721/news/merle-hodge-knocks-campaign

The United National Congress’s “No Rowley” campaign has been criticised by activist Merle Hodge as well as former editor Rhona Baptiste, who posted an open letter to the Prime Minister on her Facebook page yesterday.

In a letter to the editor, Hodge asked: What does our “new politics” party, the COP (Congress of the People), really think about the UNC’s/PP’s (People’s Partnership’s) descent into the muck of perso­nal vilification as its major campaign strategy?”

She noted: “The UNC/PP was voted into power in 2010 because throngs of voters trusted the COP to be the bulwark against political nastiness.” She then asked: “Has the COP now been so effectively neutered that it cannot even recognise such nastiness when it occurs? What a disappointment.”

Baptiste, in a letter “from one woman to another” addressed to the Prime Minister, commented on the No Rowley campaign and a number of issues.

In part of her post, she stated: “You (­Madam Prime Minister) must ask yourself whe­ther in winning an election any means justifies the end. For in the end it is not you as Prime Minister nor Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley who matters as much as a nation...

“Last evening on witnessing the launch of your newest strategy against the Opposition, one is reminded of how effectively your campaign used Keith Rowley to demonise Prime Minister Patrick Manning in those ads that highlighted the tensions between them back in 2010.

“It was a cunning piece of propaganda and many of us bought the hype at that time and we voted you in... As a mother and teacher... It should be clear to you in fact that the destruction of the personal character of the opponent, whether that person is Keith Rowley or Mother Teresa, is not what the country wants. What the country really wants is to hear hardcore solutions to our problems.”

The campaign seeks to characterise Rowley as an “angry arrogant man who has no plan and no vision” for the country. The ads, seen at norowley.com, use state­ments made by Manning at the height of his political battle with Rowley, as well as sound bites from Rowley doctored to sound as his responses to a number of questions on matters of national import.
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 23, 2015, 09:51:24 AM »
Breds, the RR was losing money before the sixties. The Brits wanted to scrap it. In the beginning the RR was commercial and passenger. The commercial part help subsidies the passenger portion.  The last big commercial enterprise that was by the rail service was the log joint. That was the massive sewer project. All the sewer pipes were transported by very long rolling stock. Some were approx half a mile. As the commercial part decreased, the passenger portion had to pick up the cost. That was not going to happen under PNM. So govt subsidies increased. The train used to be full, but plenty people never used to pay. Mostly the young "hooligans" and them. I used to see them hopping on and off the train. Some even got their foot cut off when they mistimed the speed of the train.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 23, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »
HEAR NAH!

I gone on youtube to watch a video. Normal normal...an ad from this NoRowley campaign start up..for 25 seconds before my video start.

WDMCID?

Dey going to this extent seriously?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 23, 2015, 03:44:45 PM »
HEAR NAH!

I gone on youtube to watch a video. Normal normal...an ad from this NoRowley campaign start up..for 25 seconds before my video start.

WDMCID?

eh trying to know your business eh, but it will help me with work. Are you based in Trinidad by chance? Asking because I want to know if the marketing/pr people running paid ads on foreign ip addresses. thx.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 23, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »
HEAR NAH!

WDMCID?

Are you based in T&T?? 
I'm getting bombarded with Kamla ads  too....I go on CNN I see Kamla and her husband on an ad promoting family values....I go on amazon I see the ad...if I go to take a shit she might pop up too  :cursing:

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 23, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »
Yes I am based in TT. Last elections they used ads on websites... But this.... Is beyond that by far

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 23, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »

I use palemoon and it's companion ad blocker "ad block latitude", so haven't encountered this at all. ;D ;D :devil:

started using that when firefox decided to morph into chrome and wouldn't allow users to change back without a finicky addon >:( >:( >:( :( >:( :cursing:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:46:34 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 23, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »
Yes I am based in TT. Last elections they used ads on websites... But this.... Is beyond that by far

ok, thx. Those are pre-roll ads they are running off Youtube and I'm sure the others you're seeing (on other websites) are off google adwords. Since competition for such keywords and location (Trinidad and Tobago) is pretty much non-existent, they are getting them at a steal. So they will plaster it in your face as much as they can. With the pre-roll ones, they only pay if you (viewer) clicks on them or watch the entire ad. If there is a "skip ad" option, you can use that.. if by chance you watch the whole ad.. they will pay premium.

Nice to see them using it, just wish it was for ads that actually promoted what they could do to improve the country and not this childish stuff. But so is politics?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 23, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
I use palemoon and it's companion ad blocker "ad block latitude", so haven't encountered this at all. ;D ;D :devil:

started using that when firefox decided to morph into chrome and wouldn't allow users to change back without a finicky addon >:( >:( >:( :( >:( :cursing:

what do you mean by this? (don't mean to hijack the thread)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 23, 2015, 04:51:19 PM »

what do you mean by this? (don't mean to hijack the thread)

I mean they adopted to chrome styled interface design which accompanied some very restrictive design decisions.......hate tabs on top for one and they made it permanent after v29......unless dey change it back ???
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 23, 2015, 07:40:32 PM »
All yuh see the latest installment in the norowley campaign??  Hear nah.....I really doh know who advising these A-holes......but let them continue, is best the PNM stop campaigning and leave the UNC to it cuz like dem campaigning for the PNM to win......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 23, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
All yuh see the latest installment in the norowley campaign??  Hear nah.....I really doh know who advising these A-holes......but let them continue, is best the PNM stop campaigning and leave the UNC to it cuz like dem campaigning for the PNM to win......
Imagine the plot twist if Rodney Charles is a PNM sleeper cell

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: July 23, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »
I doubt dat, he jus dotish like he employers

...............ah see ross distance deyself from dat...like dey smellin someting rutten and want to get out while d gettin good...............or dey holdin dey cards close in antipation of a lean 5 years if dey employers loose
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:50:42 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 23, 2015, 07:52:55 PM »
ah question though..............CNMG...wah alyuh tink goh play off wid dem, if PNM win ???
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 23, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »

...............ah see ross distance deyself from dat...like dey smellin someting rutten and want to get out while d gettin good...............or dey holdin dey cards close in antipation of a lean 5 years if dey employers loose

From what I understand, Rodney Charles was a staunch PNM.  A Manningite.  So I guess he is one ah dem dat "juss cyar stand Rowley....."  smh......hear nah.....all the man's moves just leaving me speechless.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 23, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »
ah question though..............CNMG...wah alyuh tink goh play off wid dem, if PNM win ???

Is state media so as far as I'm aware, all them political appointees would be gone and Ken Ali would have to throw he frame too even though he is the CEO......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 23, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »

From what I understand, Rodney Charles was a staunch PNM.  A Manningite.  So I guess he is one ah dem dat "juss cyar stand Rowley....."  smh......hear nah.....all the man's moves just leaving me speechless.....

ting is......I couldn't stand d man either.....straight forward fella .....but no guile ..........and rough around d edges......still doh tink he handle e-mailgate atall well but he seems to be fitting himself into the role of captain fairly well otherwise.....still has no guile though....but that may be a good ting....time goh tell
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:11:59 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 23, 2015, 08:00:56 PM »
http://www.ctntworld.com/cnews2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16225:vasant-claims-rowley-as-pm-would-increase-vat-to-fund-rapid-rail-project&catid=137&Itemid=707

So.... Arhmmm... Anybody know how the UNC planning to finance things ? Given that the highway and other projects over budget and ting. Is box drains the way of diversifying and securing our economy ?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 23, 2015, 08:10:23 PM »

Is state media so as far as I'm aware, all them political appointees would be gone and Ken Ali would have to throw he frame too even though he is the CEO......

what about d employees dat grab d pawn baton and run with it Marcia Braveboy and co...........and all d other state enterprises with d fat trimmin dat may have to take place.......it goh have plenty baccanal in dat if it come to pass........plenty unqualified frien' an' fam jus siddung earnin money for no work..............and ah race card ready to pull
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
It eh go be nice. Take what I telling you. Remember early in the tenure of this government the common justification for people being victimised was that they were PNM agents setting out to undermine the government? You go see undermining now.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #533 on: July 23, 2015, 08:29:37 PM »
Breds, the RR was losing money before the sixties. The Brits wanted to scrap it. In the beginning the RR was commercial and passenger. The commercial part help subsidies the passenger portion.  The last big commercial enterprise that was by the rail service was the log joint. That was the massive sewer project. All the sewer pipes were transported by very long rolling stock. Some were approx half a mile. As the commercial part decreased, the passenger portion had to pick up the cost. That was not going to happen under PNM. So govt subsidies increased. The train used to be full, but plenty people never used to pay. Mostly the young "hooligans" and them. I used to see them hopping on and off the train. Some even got their foot cut off when they mistimed the speed of the train.

the same thing with national steel, they wanted to cook the books to show losses there as well... they give a whole new meaning to a midnight robber in those days...

imagine breds i sit down with Kamalluldin in his house over a decade ago and he tell me how the PNM turn their back on him, after the doc passed, he should have been PM and leader of the pnm, never happen, you know who they give it to...  :D

so when i see Rowley boasting about Kamal, i say what the hell he talking about, he talking a bag of nonsense, the pnm betray Kamal after all his dedication and loyalty to the party.. a setta snakes...

so I listen to the rowley speech well good, some of these politicians don't have any shame...

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 23, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »

the same thing with national steel, they wanted to cook the books to show losses there as well... they give a whole new meaning to a midnight robber in those days...

imagine breds i sit down with Kamalluldin in his house over a decade ago and he tell me how the PNM turn their back on him, after the doc passed, he should have been PM and leader of the pnm, never happen, you know who they give it to...  :D

so when i see Rowley boasting about Kamal, i say what the hell he talking about, he talking a bag of nonsense, the pnm betray Kamal after all his dedication and loyalty to the party.. a setta snakes...

so I listen to the rowley speech well good, some of these politicians don't have any shame...

Yuh talk out of yuh ass as usual. I knew Kamalludin very well. If you don't know the real story stop your misinformation.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 24, 2015, 05:17:40 AM »

I don't know about the steel mill, because I was out of Trini. All I know is that that complex took a lot of energy, and our water woes increase when the plant came online. As far as Kamal not being elected, it was difficult to understand what was going on when Dr. Williams was on his last. Inner rivalries was not different as we had seen in the UNC with Kamla, Jck and Panday. The only difference was that PNM kept most of it under wraps. He and most Indo TT felt he was not given the post because he was Indo.

In a couple years the UNC will also say the same about Panday.  How is was a great leader.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:21:22 AM by Deeks »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 24, 2015, 06:41:50 AM »

ting is......I couldn't stand d man either.....straight forward fella .....but no guile ..........and rough around d edges......still doh tink he handle e-mailgate atall well but he seems to be fitting himself into the role of captain fairly well otherwise.....still has no guile though....but that may be a good ting....time goh tell

Yuh make mih go and look up guile.....and yuh sure yuh want him to have that??   ???

Anywho, ppl who say dey doh like Rowley when yuh ask dem why its usually, he too arrogant, he too black, he from Tobago, he rough......so imagine my surprise when I had the opportunity to talk to him, albeit briefly no more than 10 - 15 mins on 3 occassions.....the impression he left me with is that he eh nutten like that (i.e. arrogant and rough).....yes he black and he from Tobago so I guess if you doh like him for that well I eh too sure what he could do about it.

Poor fella.  He could never measure up to the window dressing we have right now......all fluff and no stuff.  I goh take a rough, black, guileless, Tobagonian over she any day.....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:28:03 AM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #537 on: July 24, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »

Yuh talk out of yuh ass as usual. I knew Kamalludin very well. If you don't know the real story stop your misinformation.

My family knows him well also... What's your point?

If you have the full story say it then, instead of talking a pack of rubbish...

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 24, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »

Lefty, yuh sure you want him to have guile??

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 24, 2015, 08:27:17 AM »

Lefty, yuh sure you want him to have guile??

Oh ho......so is not me alone Lefty confuse.....ah feel is charm he meant......charisma or something so.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

1]; } ?>