Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 169219 times)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #690 on: August 31, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »
OK people is less than 8 days before election day.. expect any and everything to be thrown at us now eh

Ah done seeing polling from two different pollsters saying two different outcomes with two different winners
I have heard that citizen misleading d polls, rather than the opposite!.........in my area a lot of pattern voters......saying  one party loud but den whisperin d other under dey breath......dey could be frontin, but fact is local business suffering.......and local economy is very depressed.....and business owners of all description eh too happy.
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 31, 2015, 10:26:01 AM »
Why are business owners unhappy?  election is necessary.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 31, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »
Elections bring uncertainty, which isn't great for business. Additionally the US dollar shortage is making conducting business in T&T a serious problem, it's a daily challenge.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 31, 2015, 11:35:13 AM »
Can't wait yes... The amount of comess that happening and that likely to happen... The first thing I hoping for is that this government is removed convincingly and peacefully.

Imagine... Usually the list of national awardees is announced a week beforehand and profiles of the recipients published. This year's list was embargoed.... Meaning the media were not allowed to publish until today the list. The two recipients for the ORTT? Winston Dookeran and that snake Errol McCloud.... Two sitting ministers.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 31, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
Elections bring uncertainty, which isn't great for business. Additionally the US dollar shortage is making conducting business in T&T a serious problem, it's a daily challenge.

this plus, there isn't much driving the economy at the moment, even with all dat state contract money flowin out d treasury.....its almost like the money just disappears........trickle down just isn't happening.......previously our economy was almost like it was self sustaining...even with d global meltdown.........trinis were buying and buying heavily so "ah cyar eat d money" was pushin us forward.....then came the SOE, which we never fully recovered from...."doh study d hype"...and all fell down thereafter.....suddenly money not circulating anymore.......there has been a growth of small business, but these business not popping up to satisfy perceived demand, but solely to supplement inadequate incomes, which in itself worsen the problems
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 31, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »
^^ Allyuh see the UNC coffin above from minute 37:21.. dat coffin will pass in every meeting now  :rotfl:

It made its debut in the rally at Woodford Square......
didn't rowley object to that coffin in question calling for the supporters to have respect for the dead? at least that is what i read in the news.

Nah.  He was throwing some picong.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 31, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »
this plus, there isn't much driving the economy at the moment, even with all dat state contract money flowin out d treasury.....its almost like the money just disappears........trickle down just isn't happening.......previously our economy was almost like it was self sustaining...even with d global meltdown.........trinis were buying and buying heavily so "ah cyar eat d money" was pushin us forward.....then came the SOE, which we never fully recovered from...."doh study d hype"...and all fell down thereafter.....suddenly money not circulating anymore.......there has been a growth of small business, but these business not popping up to satisfy perceived demand, but solely to supplement inadequate incomes, which in itself worsen the problems
Do you have an economic source to back up your comment? T&T is an oil and gas based economy, even moreso on Oil because our tax revenues on oil are far higher than either the tax revenue on gas or LNG. We had foreign currency problems too in 2009/2010 when the price dropped to $40 a barrel. That said, this sub $60 dip is longer than the one in 2009 (last time it was 4-5 months), this time it's going on for at least 8 months now.

I don't agree that the SOE in 2011 had any long term economic impact to the country, or has anything to do with the shortage of US currency today.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 01, 2015, 05:18:08 AM »
Dread I not going to get into to no nonsense with u, d moment u start talking  dat SoE had no economic effect ass backwards stupidness, I realise engaging u will be an exercise in futility not worth d effort......and as for sources, d MoF has been indulging, in way too much "creative" accounting to be afforded any kinda credibility........and dat shit started early o clock wit dese people........an economist in my former department even had to forcefully  refuse to "adjust" an unflattering economic projection report....... so if dey doh mind lying to deyself.......who is u....unplant yuh head from the unc's ass for a moment
I pity the fool....

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 01, 2015, 07:35:36 AM »
Dread I not going to get into to no nonsense with u, d moment u start talking dat SoE had no economic effect ass backwards stupidness, I realise engaging u will be an exercise in futility not worth d effort......and as for sources, d MoF has been indulging, in way too much "creative" accounting to be afforded any kinda credibility........and dat shit started early o clock wit dese people........an economist in my former department even had to forcefully  refuse to "adjust" an unflattering economic projection report....... so if dey doh mind lying to deyself.......who is u....unplant yuh head from the unc's ass for a moment
I never said that, I said that it wasn't the catalyst for our economic downfall as you suggested or had a long term impact in the context of a single event. If there is one singular security event that we've never recovered from, it's the 1990 coup. Since then, crime has escalated and our police's ability to protect and serve and consistently proven to be inadequate, which has equated into increased security costs and some business uncertainty. The 2011 SOE is just one in a list of other significant security events, like the Selwyn Richardson's assassination, Cocaine and missiles in Sadiq Baksh's water tank, POS bombings in 2005 ("Mr. Big"), Kidnapping spree in 2003-2008, Abu Bakr's constant revolving court matters, Dana's assassination, etc. We also had a SOE in 1995 under Manning with the whole Occah Seepaul controversy. But I would argue each of those events individually hasn't made a significant impact (with the exception of the kidnappings because of who was targeted), but collectively then yes they have had a long term economic impact.

I'm really scratching my head how you can pretend like we suddenly became an oil and gas based economy in the last 5 years, or we suddenly have a volatile economy, or that the Central Bank/Ministry of Finance suddenly has dubious reporting. Have you been living under a rock for the past 25 years? All that shit is the same. We had double digit inflation during both the last PNM/UNC administrations that both governments did not want to officially acknowledge and report, and did everything to spin the numbers different. Every single year since I've been ever following politics, our budget statements always have murky accounting and unclear appropriations and we never get an accurate view of "Budget to Actuals" from the prior year. We have several multi-million dollar government funds (Green Fund and Heritage and Stabilization Fund come to mind) that have not had transparent reporting on either their balances or uses. We've had misuse of state funds through state corporations to fund budget expenditures, including Unit Trust deposits, Petrotrin assets, WASA, NGTT, TTMF, and others. None of this is new.

I really don't get how you can accuse me of partisan politics when I've been pretty clear I support neither, and I'm equally critical of who we had in power for the last 25 years.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:46:48 AM by R45 »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 01, 2015, 08:02:47 AM »
Dread I not going to get into to no nonsense with u, d moment u start talking dat SoE had no economic effect ass backwards stupidness, I realise engaging u will be an exercise in futility not worth d effort......and as for sources, d MoF has been indulging, in way too much "creative" accounting to be afforded any kinda credibility........and dat shit started early o clock wit dese people........an economist in my former department even had to forcefully  refuse to "adjust" an unflattering economic projection report....... so if dey doh mind lying to deyself.......who is u....unplant yuh head from the unc's ass for a moment
I never said that, I said that it wasn't the catalyst for our economic downfall as you suggested and had a long term impact in the context of a single event. If there is one singular security event that we've never recovered from, it's the 1990 coup. Since then, crime has escalated and our police's ability to protect and serve and consistently proven to be inadequate, which has equated into increased security costs and some business uncertainty. The 2011 SOE is just one in a list of other significant security events, like the Selwyn Richardson's assassination, Cocaine and missiles in Sadiq Baksh's water tank, POS bombings in 2005 ("Mr. Big"), Kidnapping spree in 2003-2008, Abu Bakr's constant revolving court matters, Dana's assassination, etc. We also had a SOE in 1995 under Manning with the whole Occah Seepaul controversy. But I would argue each of those events individually hasn't made a significant impact (with the exception of the kidnappings because of who was targeted), but collectively then yes they have had a long term economic impact.

I'm really scratching my head how you can pretend like we suddenly became an oil and gas based economy in the last 5 years, or we suddenly have a volatile economy, or that the Central Bank/Ministry of Finance suddenly has dubious reporting. Have you been living under a rock for the past 25 years? All that shit is the same. We had double digit inflation during both the last PNM/UNC administrations that both governments did not want to officially acknowledge and report, and did everything to spin the numbers different. Every single year since I've been ever following politics, our budget statements always have murky accounting and unclear appropriations and we never get an accurate view of "Budget to Actuals" from the prior year. We have several multi-million dollar government funds (Green Fund and Heritage and Stabilization Fund come to mind) that have not had transparent reporting on either their balances or uses. We've had misuse of state funds through state corporations to fund budget expenditures, including Unit Trust deposits, Petrotrin assets, WASA, NGTT, TTMF, and others. None of this is new.

I really don't get how you can accuse me of partisan politics when I've been pretty clear I support neither, and I'm equally critical of who we had in power for the last 25 years.

we speaking specifically about domestic revenue flows, I am indicating to u that these flows which continued despite the world economic meltdown was effectively shielding us, oil and gas prices as important as they are, had little bearing on the average trinis willingness to spend at that time, because we are typically caviler when it came to our spending habits.....the SoE had the effect of closing those pockets....and had a knock on effect on the economy as a result....domestic economy!!!!
I pity the fool....

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 01, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
we speaking specifically about domestic revenue flows, I am indicating to u that these flows which continued despite the world economic meltdown was effectively shielding us, oil and gas prices as important as they are, had little bearing on the average trinis willingness to spend at that time, because we are typically caviler when it came to our spending habits.....the SoE had the effect of closing those pockets....and had a knock on effect on the economy as a result....domestic economy!!!!
I stand by my comment that I don't believe it was a catalyst for any long term economic impact, domestically included. The 2011 SOE ran for 106 days from August 21st, 2011 to December 5th, 2011, and the curfew ended a bit before that on November 7th, 2011. I think the impact would have been significant during the SOE and for a couple months after, but beyond that I don't think there's been a lasting economic impact. Peak domestic spending is usually Christmas and Carnival. The former in 2011 was more affected, but the latter not as much.

Just to be clear though, I absolutely think the 2011 SOE was dangerous and reckless of the gov't - it wasn't justified, it was deceptive, had more rhetoric than substance, eroded our civil rights, and I'd argue that the longer term impact was a further reduction in confidence in both the gov't and protective services, especially since hundreds/thousands of people were picked up under the anti-gang legislation yet not a single one ended up being prosecuted. I think it was single handedly probably the worst action of the current gov't since they came to power.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:43:39 AM by R45 »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 01, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »
Sadly the real numbers paints a different picture to what u state, and as said earlier and stand by, domestic spending kept the country afloat for a very long time, in that somehow, with all that was going on the economy was "cycling" not strong but still, remember stagflation had started setting in round about 2007, so there wasn't really any new money, jus old money changing hands

I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 01, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
Thanks to Kamla this election I will not be stuepsing before I vote PNM. All the PP appologist missing like MH 370.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #703 on: September 01, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
Allyuh see the paid political announcement where they keep flashing Rowley, Obeah and Manning face with a voice over of Rowley? Hear nah, that is some real shameful and desperate buffoonery from the PP. You have to be absolutely bankrupt if the best yuh could do as an election tactic against someone is to suggest they wok ah Obeah on someone else.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:32:39 PM by grimm01 »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 02, 2015, 04:40:07 AM »
This one?

https://www.facebook.com/david.stephen.14289/videos/10205067455711506/

It shameful how crude it is even.

Anyhow...cause we as trinis memory short and probably considered as fools...the man who brought us the "Third Force" who after getting exposed as a UNC proxy gives us this:

http://trinidadexpress.com/20150901/news/terrible-tim

VOTERS are being encouraged to spoil their ballots in the upcoming general election as a form of protest to demand “a fair electoral voting system” in Trinidad and Tobago.
The call is being spearheaded by former Senate president Timothy Hamel-Smith, through a recently established ad hoc group known as the T&T Citizens for Democracy.
The campaign was launched via social media site Facebook and messaging app WhatsApp on Sunday.
With one week to go before the general election, Hamel-Smith’s poli­tical message states: “Patriots, this your last chance to protest. Say ‘No to all’. Your vote counts, even if it says ‘No to all’ because by law the EBC (Elections and Boundaries Commission) must report these (spoilt) votes.

:-\
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 02, 2015, 04:42:19 AM »
Allyuh see the paid political announcement where they keep flashing Rowley, Obeah and Manning face with a voice over of Rowley? Hear nah, that is some real shameful and desperate buffoonery from the PP. You have to be absolutely bankrupt if the best yuh could do as an election tactic against someone is to suggest they wok ah Obeah on someone else.

Unfortunately the UNC has a lot of backward brainwashed supports who will vote for that corrupt party based upon that foolish buffoonery they are paying to advertise via most of the T&T media using T&T taxpayers money. These elections might be the last chance we have to get their UNC parasite claws off of our treasury and save the future of our country so we don't end up like Guyana did.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:50:43 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 02, 2015, 04:44:18 AM »

What you think going on here?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 02, 2015, 04:48:37 AM »
This one?

https://www.facebook.com/david.stephen.14289/videos/10205067455711506/

It shameful how crude it is even.

Anyhow...cause we as trinis memory short and probably considered as fools...the man who brought us the "Third Force" who after getting exposed as a UNC proxy gives us this:

http://trinidadexpress.com/20150901/news/terrible-tim

VOTERS are being encouraged to spoil their ballots in the upcoming general election as a form of protest to demand “a fair electoral voting system” in Trinidad and Tobago.
The call is being spearheaded by former Senate president Timothy Hamel-Smith, through a recently established ad hoc group known as the T&T Citizens for Democracy.
The campaign was launched via social media site Facebook and messaging app WhatsApp on Sunday.
With one week to go before the general election, Hamel-Smith’s poli­tical message states: “Patriots, this your last chance to protest. Say ‘No to all’. Your vote counts, even if it says ‘No to all’ because by law the EBC (Elections and Boundaries Commission) must report these (spoilt) votes.

:-\

Unfortunately a vote for no one is a vote for the incumbent to stay in power and carry on as they were doing. If we think the UNC was bad for the past 5 years just give them another 5 to finish us off.
A so-called educated person like Timothy Hamel-Smith should be aware of that fact so its obvious to anyone with a working braincell that he is an undercover UNC/PP supporter.
Low voter turn out or many spoilt votes is to the advantage of the incumbent especially with all the voter padding they have been systematically doing over the past 5 years in the marginals seats.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:00:01 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 02, 2015, 05:11:43 AM »

CEPEP workers putting up UNC fliers?? 

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 02, 2015, 07:30:51 AM »

Indeed. In Siparia.

CEPEP workers putting up UNC fliers?? 

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 02, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,6803.html

Deja vu. Same old tricks by any incumbent.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 02, 2015, 12:06:29 PM »
The ends justifies the means ? For all those who intend to vote for the opposition make sure allyuh doh have any overseas commitment, like wedding, labour day etc this weekend. Well, unless allyuh have allyuh own, Gulfstream, Leerjet, etc
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:11:21 PM by Deeks »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 03, 2015, 07:39:51 AM »

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 03, 2015, 08:04:36 AM »
Damn! Shamfa came out blazing!

https://www.facebook.com/roger.roberts.rr/videos/10153480231311357/?fref=nf

Very good delivery! She had the crowd mesmerized. She actually put some of the more seasoned speakers to shame.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:07:07 AM by Michael-j »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:58 AM »
saw more polls today dat says the gov't will win a next term.....ting is I feel it so close because PNM has had such a poor record of dealing with d "little things" that people are willing to neglect the big picture, because the PP has been able to in some way blind people to big issues by handling little tings here and there along with feeding the gimme gimme attitude of sections of the populace
I pity the fool....

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 03, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »
saw more polls today dat says the gov't will win a next term.....ting is I feel it so close because PNM has had such a poor record of dealing with d "little things" that people are willing to neglect the big picture, because the PP has been able to in some way blind people to big issues by handling little tings here and there along with feeding the gimme gimme attitude of sections of the populace

In all of Dr. Rowley's speeches he told the URP/CEPEP people that they should not use these programs as a mean of career goal and to stop the viscous cycle of generations depending on such programs. That could be some of the little things here and there that a good portion of the population seem to depend on to feed they family.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 03, 2015, 08:40:37 AM »

What polls?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:01 AM »

What polls?
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150902/news/none-of-them
you ent goh get d full story unless yuh subscribe but, if people actually giving dis gov't favorability points for d economy... ???
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 03, 2015, 08:49:31 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tajzl7R5J5c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tajzl7R5J5c</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 03, 2015, 08:54:35 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yQexafW91eo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yQexafW91eo</a>

1]; } ?>