Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 168581 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #840 on: September 08, 2015, 07:29:21 AM »
Ms. Persad-Bisessar seems inclined to transition into the role of Leader of the Opposition and to maintain her position at the helm of the party.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 08, 2015, 08:09:54 AM »
Yeah thats tame.

This tame too.

It had real plenty whole weekend...yesterday..everything. Cant recall a time where it seemed this polarizing.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 08, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »

^^ PNM over-took the East-West corridor  :D

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 08, 2015, 08:16:50 AM »
I think you'll find idiots from either party, and if the UNC won, we'd see some dumb posts from the other side.

Elections were easy, the trouble is governing now. The PNM has a tough job ahead with the price of oil and a volatile economy. Additionally, not having a special majority means that some of their manifesto items (like the local gov't reform) will require UNC help to pass.

Rowley has his work cut out for him - I think one of his biggest challenges is going to controlling his own party as there were some folks in his ranks that were cool on his leadership. I'm curious to see how he selects his cabinet, especially if he gives some of his senior MPs who he has history with (Hinds, Imbert, McDonald, etc.) senior positions.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 08, 2015, 08:22:57 AM »
Historically the UNC has seen their role in opposition as simply to oppose. So the ride will be rough.

To me....I found it SUPER poor that Kamla...after saying she was going Rienzi Complex after her seat was declared...didnt bother to go to even tell her supporters thank you. After all the song and deification and such thats what you would do? But.....to ice the cake....

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150908/news/kamla8217s-car-breaks-down-after-concession-speech

HAVING lost the election, Kamla Persad-Bissessar suffered a final indignity this morning, as she prepared to leave her constituency office in Penal where she delivered her concession speech.

The Prime Minister's official car, PM 1, could not start, and had to be towed from the scene shortly after midnight. Persad-Bissessar accepted a ride home with a supporter driving a sub-compact.
   :rotfl:

Persad-Bissessar, who decided not to go to the party's headquarters at Rienzi Complex, Couva, spoke with members of the media surrounded by a small group of supporters. None were members of her government.

At around 12.01 a.m. this morning the outgoing Prime Minister and political leader of the United National Congress conceded defeat in the 2015 general election.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 08, 2015, 08:38:25 AM »
I would like to congratulate Prime Minister-Elect Keith Christopher Rowley, his family and the entire PNM organization on a successful campaign. As Dr. Rowley stated in his speech, there is the need for the entire country to be unified as we attempt to tackle serious political, economic and social issues.

I hope and pray that Dr. Rowley maintains the spirit of humility and cooperation as he seeks to exercise principled leadership over the affairs of state in Trinidad and Tobago.

Some of the acerbic comments from external sites referenced above signify a need for a move to bring reconciliation and healing to a country under the perennial yoke of various types of social divisions.

I will pray to the Most High that He guides our new Prime Minister in all of his decisions

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 08, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
Why didn't the PP put Sancho in a safer seat?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 08, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »
I think you'll find idiots from either party, and if the UNC won, we'd see some dumb posts from the other side.

Elections were easy, the trouble is governing now. The PNM has a tough job ahead with the price of oil and a volatile economy. Additionally, not having a special majority means that some of their manifesto items (like the local gov't reform) will require UNC help to pass.

Rowley has his work cut out for him - I think one of his biggest challenges is going to controlling his own party as there were some folks in his ranks that were cool on his leadership. I'm curious to see how he selects his cabinet, especially if he gives some of his senior MPs who he has history with (Hinds, Imbert, McDonald, etc.) senior positions.

I have been reading many comments on Social Media. It's sad how politics divides us.

When the PPP won in 2011, I can't recall seeing the same type of racist comments from PNM supporters. I could be wrong.. but I  don't recall seeing anything like I am seeing today

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 08, 2015, 08:50:29 AM »
Because PNM supporters actually voted against Manning last elections. Think about it.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: September 08, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »
How did Amery Browne come to be discarded from his Diego constituency?
He fall in with the rumoured culling of supposed manning loyalists during the candidate selection process.......

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2015-04-29/no-plot-kick-out-browne

Hmmm. Nah, doh take it personal. Watap!!!

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 08, 2015, 08:53:51 AM »
Because PNM supporters actually voted against Manning last elections. Think about it.

Yep; many PNM folks voted for the Partnership in significant numbers, resulting in the comprehensive margin of victory for the Partnership in the 2010 elections.

Many Partnership supporters accusing the PNM of racism in their voting patterns seem to have developed a convenient case of amnesia.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:57:14 AM by kaliman2006 »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 08, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »

Nuff said.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #853 on: September 08, 2015, 09:01:27 AM »
Black Stalin We Could Make It If We Try!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uE1S360mRsA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uE1S360mRsA</a>
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 08, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »

I have been reading many comments on Social Media. It's sad how politics divides us.

When the PPP won in 2011, I can't recall seeing the same type of racist comments from PNM supporters. I could be wrong.. but I  don't recall seeing anything like I am seeing today

Many PNM suupporters were happy with the results in 2010 because they voted for the PP.
PNM supporters are willing to shift their votes and give another party a chance if they believe that there is corruption in their party.
UNC supporters don't shift regardless of how corrupt they know that their party is behaving in government.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:12:49 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: September 08, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
He fall in with the rumoured culling of supposed manning loyalists during the candidate selection process.......

Why I said supposed
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »

Why I said supposed

The article doh mean yuh wrong.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 08, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
Many PNM suupporters were happy with the results in 2010 because they voted for the PP.
PNM supporters are willing to shift their votes and give another party a chance if they believe that there is corruption in their party.
UNC supporters don't shift regardless of how corrupt they know that their party is behaving in government.

Don't be ridiculous man. Both the UNC and PNM have their tribal/loyal support. Both parties have a more moderate support base that swings. In 2010, the more moderate PNM support swung to the PP (the PNM still got 285k votes in 2010 despite Manning's unpopularity). In 2007, many of the moderate UNC supporters voted the COP (largely a vote against Panday). In that year, the UNC got 194k votes while the COP get 148k). Both the PNM and UNC have a loyal following of at least 150-175k that vote for their respective parties regardless of how the government performs.

Even the lowest of lows of the PNM (1986 election), the PNM still received 183k votes or 32% of the vote.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 08, 2015, 09:56:57 AM »

That is a good point Soca. The UNC supporters aren't concerned about the candidates platforms.. After reading some comments online, many of the UNC supporters  were more concerned about voting for the candidate with the straighter hair. I know this does not apply to all.

I read a comment on the UNC Facebook page that called for the "UNC " supporters to raise the price on doubles and roti. I also read a comment that said taxes are going to go up because "we" own all the land and property. I know this is coming from a small minority and not all "UNC" supporters feel that way..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 08, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »
Fellahs, I remember at Howard U. graduation in 2010, I met a Trini HU alumni whose daughter was graduating and he told me the PNM would lose. And he emphatically pointed to Patrick as the main reason for some usual PNM leaning people would vote otherwise or DID NOT vote.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 08, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
From the Comments section of the Jamaica Observer article "Kamla out, Rowley in!":

Carlton: I do not understand why the talk about T&T is not an ATM machine still occupies my thought."

Response referring to the outgoing PM: :yellowcard: "Right now she card and all stick! lol"

From the Comments section of The Stabroek News article "PNM sweeps to victory in Trinidad":

When will Guyana become like T&T. The people of Guyana should take a look and see that the voting is not along ethnic or racial lines. The people of that twin-island republic is (sic) a prime example of voting on issues and not race.

"Sorry Kamla, you should have paid those CLICO shareholders you accuse of holding you to ransom."

"Now roll up de tassa for Ms. Bissessar."

"Most startling for me was that the polls closed at 7pm and four hours later, Trinidad had declared a winner. Unlike Guyana, which took about five days because we still have mules that have to cross over mountains and rivers in order to deliver ballots from the hinterland. ... Congrats to Mr. Rowley and the PNM. "

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 08, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »
is this the first time the winning party of the election did not also capture the popular vote?

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 08, 2015, 11:00:44 AM »
is this the first time the winning party of the election did not also capture the popular vote?

In 2007 the PNM won the elections after securing just under 300,000 votes. However, the COP and UNC combined amounted to over 350,000. Results will show that the PNM was the party with the most votes, but over 50% of the voting population were opposed to them.

Some years earlier when there was the famous 18-18 split, the president decided that the PNM should form the next government even though they secured less votes than the incumbent UNC.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 08, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »

Exactly PNM supporters do not behave like those racist Central Indians. As for Sanko safe seat does be for the cabal. They only give Rodney 1 because he threaten to join Gypsy and it would have looked like the bunch of racist that they are.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 08, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »

In 2007 the PNM won the elections after securing just under 300,000 votes. However, the COP and UNC combined amounted to over 350,000. Results will show that the PNM was the party with the most votes, but over 50% of the voting population were opposed to them.

Some years earlier when there was the famous 18-18 split, the president decided that the PNM should form the next government even though they secured less votes than the incumbent UNC.

Yes because the PNM gained seats while the UNC lost seats.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 08, 2015, 11:44:58 AM »

Don't be ridiculous man. Both the UNC and PNM have their tribal/loyal support. Both parties have a more moderate support base that swings. In 2010, the more moderate PNM support swung to the PP (the PNM still got 285k votes in 2010 despite Manning's unpopularity). In 2007, many of the moderate UNC supporters voted the COP (largely a vote against Panday). In that year, the UNC got 194k votes while the COP get 148k). Both the PNM and UNC have a loyal following of at least 150-175k that vote for their respective parties regardless of how the government performs.

Even the lowest of lows of the PNM (1986 election), the PNM still received 183k votes or 32% of the vote.

Moderate UNC is who Panday does call knife and folk Indian.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 08, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »

The fact that the PNM was decimated in 2010 because of a perception of corruption while the UNC which has had 100 times more corrupt in the last 5 years gain votes and seats in 2015 proves my point.
Remember in 2010 the UNC won 15 seats while this time round they won 18 (an increase of 3 seats) despite all the clear corruption.

Argument done.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:17:41 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 08, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
Kamla ent even send a text message/whatsapp/fax to Dr. Rowley offering congrats self???

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 08, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »
Kamla ent even send a text message/whatsapp/fax to Dr. Rowley offering congrats self???

What all yuh expect. After he has the stinkiest mouth in the Caribbean.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 08, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »

The fact that the PNM was decimated in 2010 because of a perception of corruption while the UNC which has had 100 times more corrupt in the last 5 years gain votes and seats in 2015 proves my point.
Remember in 2010 the UNC won 15 seats while this time round they won 18 (an increase of 3 seats) despite all the clear corruption.

Argument done.

The UNC won 21 seats in 2010.

1]; } ?>