Poll

Where is your vote going?

PNM
UNC Partnership
NNV
Not sure
Not voting - all jokers
Not voting - dont care

Author Topic: T&T General Elections Thread  (Read 168555 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #870 on: September 08, 2015, 12:35:01 PM »
I would like to congratulate Prime Minister-Elect Keith Christopher Rowley, his family and the entire PNM organization on a successful campaign. As Dr. Rowley stated in his speech, there is the need for the entire country to be unified as we attempt to tackle serious political, economic and social issues.

I hope and pray that Dr. Rowley maintains the spirit of humility and cooperation as he seeks to exercise principled leadership over the affairs of state in Trinidad and Tobago.

Some of the acerbic comments from external sites referenced above signify a need for a move to bring reconciliation and healing to a country under the perennial yoke of various types of social divisions.

I will pray to the Most High that He guides our new Prime Minister in all of his decisions

Amen!  :praying:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 08, 2015, 12:35:43 PM »
Many PNM suupporters were happy with the results in 2010 because they voted for the PP.
PNM supporters are willing to shift their votes and give another party a chance if they believe that there is corruption in their party.
UNC supporters don't shift regardless of how corrupt they know that their party is behaving in government.

Don't be ridiculous man. Both the UNC and PNM have their tribal/loyal support. Both parties have a more moderate support base that swings. In 2010, the more moderate PNM support swung to the PP (the PNM still got 285k votes in 2010 despite Manning's unpopularity). In 2007, many of the moderate UNC supporters voted the COP (largely a vote against Panday). In that year, the UNC got 194k votes while the COP get 148k). Both the PNM and UNC have a loyal following of at least 150-175k that vote for their respective parties regardless of how the government performs.

Even the lowest of lows of the PNM (1986 election), the PNM still received 183k votes or 32% of the vote.

The fact that the PNM was decimated in 2010 because of a perception of corruption while the UNC which has had 100 times more corrupt in the last 5 years gain votes and seats in 2015 proves my point.
Remember in 2010 the UNC won 15 seats while this time round they won 18 (an increase of 3 seats) despite all the clear corruption.

Argument done.

The UNC won 21 seats in 2010.

Nope the PP won 21 seats in 2010. I believe the UNC won 15 of those.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:39:05 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 08, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »
Many PNM suupporters were happy with the results in 2010 because they voted for the PP.
PNM supporters are willing to shift their votes and give another party a chance if they believe that there is corruption in their party.
UNC supporters don't shift regardless of how corrupt they know that their party is behaving in government.

Don't be ridiculous man. Both the UNC and PNM have their tribal/loyal support. Both parties have a more moderate support base that swings. In 2010, the more moderate PNM support swung to the PP (the PNM still got 285k votes in 2010 despite Manning's unpopularity). In 2007, many of the moderate UNC supporters voted the COP (largely a vote against Panday). In that year, the UNC got 194k votes while the COP get 148k). Both the PNM and UNC have a loyal following of at least 150-175k that vote for their respective parties regardless of how the government performs.

Even the lowest of lows of the PNM (1986 election), the PNM still received 183k votes or 32% of the vote.

The fact that the PNM was decimated in 2010 because of a perception of corruption while the UNC which has had 100 times more corrupt in the last 5 years gain votes and seats in 2015 proves my point.
Remember in 2010 the UNC won 15 seats while this time round they won 18 (an increase of 3 seats) despite all the clear corruption.

Argument done.

Nope the PP won 21 seats. I believe the UNC won 15 of those.

PP won 29...unc 21...cop 6....top 2

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 08, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »

Argument done.

Ok cool. Just double checked to confirm.

I am sure the analysis on TV6 last night showed that UNC won 15 votes back in 2010.
Maybe they were referring back to another elections year result for comparison.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 08, 2015, 12:47:27 PM »

Argument done.

I am sure the analysis on TV6 last night showed that UNC won 15 votes back in 2010.

They won 15 seats in 2007. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 08, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »
Has the formal transition from PM-elect to PM occurred? If so, when?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 08, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »

Argument done.

They won 15 seats in 2007. 

Yeah I just realised that I misread the election year they were referring back to for comparison.

With that in mind R45 point does hold some weight so there is hope for T&T afterall.

The fact that the UNC lost 3 seats due to their bad behaviour in office does indicate that some UNC voters may have shifted support away from UNC in 2015 like many PNM voters did from the PNM back in 2010.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:56:23 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 08, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »
Has the formal transition from PM-elect to PM occurred? If so, when?

I believe that it is taking place tomorrow at 1:30pm.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150908/news/rowley-and-ag-to-be-sworn-at-130pm-wednesday
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:56:58 PM by Socapro »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 08, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 08, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »

Argument done.

Not really bro. Corruption is a perception since it is difficult to quantify who is "more" corrupt. Frankly outside of the 1986-1991 government (which is likely the most corrupt we've seen since independence), all the others are comparable and debatable. You are going on the premise that UNC voters saw the PP gov't as being very corrupt. I suspect though, based on sentiments I gather, that the UNC/PP lost support moreso due to the scandals and incompetence rather than corruption perception. To say that they were more corrupt than the 2007-2010 PNM administration is subjective and an opinion over a clear fact (it could be true, or it could be false - I don't think we'll ever find out as corruption never gets properly prosecuted in this country).

The UNC did not gain seats. The UNC lost 4 seats versus 2010. The only gain was retaking the Chaguanas seat from the 2013 by-election, which they had originally won under Jack in 2010.

Look the whole who is more corrupt is definitely debatable. But the suggestion that the UNC base is more loyal/tribal than the PNM really has no foundation based on election evidence. In the last three decades, both parties have held on to a base regardless of how unpopular their government is.

There is one difference between the two parties though - if you look at voter turnout, some of the UNC core constituencies consistently get a higher voter turnout than PNM areas. Several UNC core areas (such as Couva, Fyzabad, Chaguanas, Oropuche) consistently get a higher than average vote turnout compared to the overall amount - these constituencies have seen turnouts in the 70-75% for the last several elections versus the national average being in the 60% range.

Conversely, the PNM stronghold areas like Laventille, POS, and Diego Martin have seen below national average turnouts year to year, even in the years when the PNM is very popular (like 2007). Laventille often dips below a 50% turnout when the national averages are in the mid 60%. That is a big factor why the UNC always does well in the popular vote. If you look at statistics from every election, the lowest 10 constituencies in voter turnout are almost always PNM strongholds.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 08, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 08, 2015, 04:03:48 PM »

Can you imagine Rodney Charles making a speech in parliament? And Padarath??...oh my ....
I don't think they ever envisioned being opposition MPs.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:19 PM »
Rumour is the final count is showing the PNM has secured the popular vote. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

What is the official final count?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:33:26 PM by Sando prince »

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 08, 2015, 11:02:22 PM »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 09, 2015, 04:47:02 AM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She last official lie as PM!
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T 2015 General Elections Thread
« Reply #885 on: September 09, 2015, 07:30:27 AM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She last official lie as PM!

Maybe she wanted a final ride in the helicopter? The least she coulda do was go and take one last vomit in the car for old times sake.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:56:40 AM by grimm01 »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 09, 2015, 07:59:04 AM »

So PNM has won the popular vote.

PNM= 334,016.

UNC= 310,370.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 09, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »
this incident with KB and the Special Branch does not look good. It is serious breach of protocol. I don't know who to blame here. Should the Special Branch be blame or is Mrs. KB the culprit? If something, God forbid, had happened to her on the way to Siparia, I think the Special Branch would have had to answer questions as to what had transpired. The fact that Mr. Rowley is being sworn in while she just lost her position as PM, make the appearance of no one in charge. Any clarifications on this, forum?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 09, 2015, 09:42:09 AM »
this incident with KB and the Special Branch does not look good. It is serious breach of protocol. I don't know who to blame here. Should the Special Branch be blame or is Mrs. KB the culprit? If something, God forbid, had happened to her on the way to Siparia, I think the Special Branch would have had to answer questions as to what had transpired. The fact that Mr. Rowley is being sworn in while she just lost her position as PM, make the appearance of no one in charge. Any clarifications on this, forum?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 09, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »

If something had happened Special Branch would have been blamed and rightly so. If the drunken weed smoking PM refuse to go in the vehicle they could not force her. The most they could have done was drive behind her and insured that she reached home. They should also continue to provide security until 130 pm today even if this means having a police vehicle parked outside the house of ill repute. Then at that time say THANK YOU JESUS and leave.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »
Watch the swearing in of the Prime Minister and Attorney General LIVE at 1:30pm!
www.otp.tt

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 09, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »

If something had happened Special Branch would have been blamed and rightly so. If the drunken weed smoking PM refuse to go in the vehicle they could not force her. The most they could have done was drive behind her and insured that she reached home. They should also continue to provide security until 130 pm today even if this means having a police vehicle parked outside the house of ill repute. Then at that time say THANK YOU JESUS and leave.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

was a hard 5 years for special branch lol

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 09, 2015, 10:49:32 AM »

If you only know.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 09, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »

So PNM has won the popular vote.

PNM= 334,016.

UNC= 310,370.

Some of these numbers aren't adding up. The Diego Martin North and West seats had several independent candidates running, and I recall (at least on the TV6 broadcast) they got a couple votes. On that spreadsheet it shows no votes at all. Not like it has an impact to overall result, but something is wrong with those numbers.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 09, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
Swearing in Ceremony live stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVzrm-_yzX4

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 09, 2015, 11:51:12 AM »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 09, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
How did Amery Browne come to be discarded from his Diego constituency?
He fall in with the rumoured culling of supposed manning loyalists during the candidate selection process.......

Bullcrap.....there were two occasions where he left the country without informing the leader of the party and on both occasions there were important matters that had to be voted on in Parliament.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 09, 2015, 12:13:55 PM »

Argument done.

Not really bro. Corruption is a perception since it is difficult to quantify who is "more" corrupt. Frankly outside of the 1986-1991 government (which is likely the most corrupt we've seen since independence), all the others are comparable and debatable. You are going on the premise that UNC voters saw the PP gov't as being very corrupt. I suspect though, based on sentiments I gather, that the UNC/PP lost support moreso due to the scandals and incompetence rather than corruption perception. To say that they were more corrupt than the 2007-2010 PNM administration is subjective and an opinion over a clear fact (it could be true, or it could be false - I don't think we'll ever find out as corruption never gets properly prosecuted in this country).

The UNC did not gain seats. The UNC lost 4 seats versus 2010. The only gain was retaking the Chaguanas seat from the 2013 by-election, which they had originally won under Jack in 2010.

Look the whole who is more corrupt is definitely debatable. But the suggestion that the UNC base is more loyal/tribal than the PNM really has no foundation based on election evidence. In the last three decades, both parties have held on to a base regardless of how unpopular their government is.

There is one difference between the two parties though - if you look at voter turnout, some of the UNC core constituencies consistently get a higher voter turnout than PNM areas. Several UNC core areas (such as Couva, Fyzabad, Chaguanas, Oropuche) consistently get a higher than average vote turnout compared to the overall amount - these constituencies have seen turnouts in the 70-75% for the last several elections versus the national average being in the 60% range.

Conversely, the PNM stronghold areas like Laventille, POS, and Diego Martin have seen below national average turnouts year to year, even in the years when the PNM is very popular (like 2007). Laventille often dips below a 50% turnout when the national averages are in the mid 60%. That is a big factor why the UNC always does well in the popular vote. If you look at statistics from every election, the lowest 10 constituencies in voter turnout are almost always PNM strongholds.

Forres Park insiders tell me that was their code name for her

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 09, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »
Not really bro. Corruption is a perception since it is difficult to quantify who is "more" corrupt. Frankly outside of the 1986-1991 government (which is likely the most corrupt we've seen since independence), all the others are comparable and debatable.

How can corruption be a perception??? when never in the history of Trinidad and Tobago has a government spent 400 billion dollars in 5 years.
How can you say it's a perception when a company with ties to the gov't receives 1 billion dollars to build roads but has to outsource contracts because they don't have the capabilities
When a PM leaves Parliament Thursday and doesn't return till the following Wednesday...who was actually running the gov't
When a man gets a check for millions of dollars for lifesport but doesn't do one thing...how could that be perception
Should I continue???

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 09, 2015, 01:41:46 PM »
Its now official that PNM in addition to winning the T&T 2015 general elections also won the popular vote.

PNM= 334,016.

UNC= 310,370.

This probably means that PNM voters in the PNM strongholds came out and voted in much higher numbers than usual.

Normally PNM stronghold voters average around a 50% turnout while UNC stronghold voters average a 75% turnout but I suspect that for these 2015 elections the PNM stronghold voters averaged at least a 70% turnout meaning that finally young Black people in PNM stronghold areas like Laventille came out in high numbers to vote.

See details below.

Full list of Members of Parliament:

ARIMA Anthony Garcia (PNM)
 AROUCA/MALONEY Camille Robinson-Regis (PNM)

BARATARIA/SAN JUAN Fuad Khan (UNC/PP)
 CARONI CENTRAL Bhoe Tewarie (UNC/PP)
 CARONI EAST Tim Gopeesingh (UNC/PP)
 CHAGUANAS EAST Fazal Karim (UNC/PP)
 CHAGUANAS WEST Ganga Singh (UNC/PP)
 COUVA NORTH Ramona Ramdial (UNC/PP)
 COUVA SOUTH Rudranath Indarsingh (UNC/PP)
 CUMUTO/MANZANILLA Christine Newallo-Hosein (UNC/PP)

D'ABADIE/O'MEARA Ancil Antoine (PNM)
 DIEGO MARTIN CENTRAL Darryl Smith (PNM)
 DIEGO MARTIN NORTH/EAST Colm Imbert (PNM)
 DIEGO MARTIN WEST Keith Rowley (PNM)

FYZABAD Lackram Bodoe (UNC/PP)
 LA BREA Nicole Olliviere (PNM)
 LA HORQUETTA/ TALPARO Maxie Cuffie (UNC/PP)
 LAVENTILLE EAST/ MORVANT Adrian Leonce (PNM)
 LAVENTILLE WEST Fitzgerald Hinds (PNM)
 LOPINOT/BON AIR WEST Cherrie-Ann Crichlow-Cockburn (PNM)

MAYARO Rushton Paray (UNC/PP)
 MORUGA/TABLELAND Lovell Francis (PNM)
 NAPARIMA Rodney Charles (UNC/PP)
 OROPOUCHE EAST Roodal Moonilal (UNC/PP)
 OROPOUCHE WEST Vidia Gayadeen-Gopeesingh (UNC/PP)

POINT FORTIN Edmund Dillion (PNM)
 POINTE-A-PIERRE David Lee (UNC/PP)
 PORT-OF-SPAIN NORTH/ ST.ANNS WEST Stuart Young (PNM)
 PORT-OF-SPAIN SOUTH Marlene McDonald (PNM)

PRINCES TOWN Barry Padarath (UNC/PP)
 SAN FERNANDO EAST Randall Mitchell (PNM)
 SAN FERNANDO WEST Faris Al-Rawi (PNM)

SIPARIA Kamla Persad-Bissessar (UNC/PP)
 ST ANNS EAST Nyan Gadbsy-Dolly (PNM)
 ST AUGUSTINE Prakash Ramadhar (COP/PP)
 ST JOSEPH Terrence Deyalsingh (PNM)
 TABAQUITE Surujrattan Rambachan (UNC/PP)
 TOBAGO EAST Ayanna Webster Roy (PNM)
 TOBAGO WEST Shamfa Cudjoe (PNM)
 TOCO/ SANGRE GRANDE Glenda Jennings-Smith (PNM)
 TUNAPUNA Esmond Forde (PNM)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:59:47 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>