April 19, 2024, 05:22:12 AM

Author Topic: Tyson Gay breaks record in 19.41 seconds !  (Read 3137 times)

AirMan

Tyson Gay breaks record in 19.41 seconds !
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:19:52 PM »

link.. http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=473025.html#gay+breaks+200m+record+england

Gay breaks 200m record in England
Straight-track record had stood for 44 years
By Associated Press | Posted: May 16, 11:48a ET | Updated: May 16, 11:49a ET
MANCHESTER, England (AP) -- American sprinter Tyson Gay has broken a 44-year-old world mark for the 200 meters on a straight track.

Gay ran 19.41 seconds into a headwind on a specially constructed track in Manchester on Sunday, shaving 0.09 off Tommie Smith's mark set in May 1966 at San Jose, California.

Smith was at the Great City Games on Sunday to watch Gay beat his time

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:42:14 PM by AirMan »

AirMan

Re: Tyson Gay breaks record in 19.41 seconds !
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »
Much respect to Gay ..Any video of the race?

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:09:51 PM »
steups, he eh run no curve and run 19.41?  he have to improve a lot to beat Bolt, maybe he need to take iut he heart and put in ah harley engine and change he legs for wheels if he go beat Bolt

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
Ah man run 19.41 and a man steups yes lol .... I think we have a runner who wiling to stand up to bolt and run him ..... if that doh deserve respect then i don't know what does.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
LoL

Yuh soon find out that its NOT a 2 man race.

AirMan

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »
Ah man run 19.41 and a man steups yes .... [/b] I think we have a runner who wiling to stand up to bolt and run him ..... if that doh deserve respect then i don't know what does.
\

lol some people just refuse to give respect when respect is due  :D

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AwKeP-3WqQU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AwKeP-3WqQU</a>
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
I am not impressed.  when he does run bolt...and I mean challenge him to the wire...den I go be impressed.  I see man running curve and batting 19.19 and allyuh excited about a straight 19.41?  before the days of Bolt I would have been wowed!

I see is anyting to make allyuh excited oui.

Bolt making this running ting mundane so i guess any half way ting go allow allyuh ample opportunity to give much respect.

Fella (s0 the bar lifted so high now that den shoulder high run gay jes put down won't make me respect him....when he reach neck high and within reach of Bolt...I go start to warm up..until den dat is jes flatter to deceive.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:09:17 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
I guess Bolt has really warped your opinion of what is good in this sport. If your to compare every run to Bolt, then of course Gay and others will look greatly inferior, but put the performance against the backdrop of the entire history of the sport, and you will see that Tyson is a very special athlete.

Secondly comparing one athlete's time from an early season competition to one run at the biggest meet of the season is not exactly fair. To put today's run into perspective you should compare it to the 150m race Bolt had at the same meet, on the same day last year. Bolt ran 14.35(+1.1) versus Gay's 14.41(-0.4) at the 150m and he still had 50m to run.

AirMan

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 06:32:10 PM »
I guess Bolt has really warped your opinion of what is good in this sport. If your to compare every run to Bolt, then of course Gay and others will look greatly inferior, but put the performance against the backdrop of the entire history of the sport, and you will see that Tyson is a very special athlete.

Secondly comparing one athlete's time from an early season competition to one run at the biggest meet of the season is not exactly fair. To put today's run into perspective you should compare it to the 150m race Bolt had at the same meet, on the same day last year. Bolt ran 14.35(+1.1) versus Gay's 14.41(-0.4) at the 150m and he still had 50m to run.

well said..I am not going to compare every impressive run to Bolt..

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:35:31 PM »

@ Airman, I am not surprised it doh take much to impress you.

Aviator, I hear you,  to tell the truth i am one hoping that Tyson lives up to his hype, the sport needs it, it is mundane watching the others run when Bolt has set the bar so high,  someone has to challenge him and Tyson is the only out there so far to do so, let us hope he does it and pushes Bolt to the wire each time they hit the track.

I am curious to know what Bolt's split was at 150 when he ran the curve and set teh world record???

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »

I am curious to know what Bolt's split was at 150 when he ran the curve and set teh world record???
[/quote]

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »

[/quote]

I see.   Maybe we will have a race on...still have to factor the curve though.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 05:59:40 AM »
Absolutely great run from Tyson Gay, considering it is his first 200m of the year, without any real speed work, first time ever pacing himself on a 200m straight-away.

It compares very competitively with Bolt's first 200m of the year, 19.56 paced on the familiar bend, in front of his home crowd, going all-out to impress his fans.

You can't compare Tyson's first 200m of the season to Bolt's fine-tuned, championship final, peak of the season performance (19.19).

All in all it makes for a very competitive season ahead, at least for the 200m.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »
All yuh ent easy nuh. The man is 2nd fastest ever at 100m, 3rd fastest ever at 200m and the first man under 10, 20 and 45 for 100 200 and 400, and is the only sprinter to continue to improve since Beijing in 3 events. Not even Bolt has improved his 400 PR

Oh but he ent Bolt. Question? Who else has stepped up to the challenge of Bolt?

Tough crowd.  >:(

P.S. That record he just set is a very good one. Educate yourselves.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:56:11 AM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
preach preach! i have a lot of respect for tyson gay and he is probably the most determined athlete out there.

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouv...?urn=oly,241521

When Tommie Smith last set the world record in the straight 200 meter run, Walt Disney was still alive, the Beatles had yet to release Sgt. Pepper and Smith himself was still known as a great track star, not just as the guy who did the black power salute in Mexico City. For 44 years Smith's hand-timed 19.5 stood as the best ever time in the longer sprint run on a straight track. Not anymore.

American sprint star Tyson Gay lowered Smith's mark by .09 seconds this weekend on a specially constructed track at Manchester's Great City Games. His time of 19.41 included a blazing first 100 split of 9.88 and served notice that, when healthy, Gay can present a challenge to Usain Bolt. (It might not be much of a challenge, but still.)

Smith himself was in attendance to witness the feat and gave hearty congratulations to Gay. Soon after he broke the mark in May 1966, the IAAF stopped recognizing separate world records in the straight 200 and only included marks set on the regulation curved track. The race is rarely contested anymore, namely due to the fact that there aren't many tracks which include 200-meter straightaways.

After the race, Gay was asked whether he could supplant Bolt as the world's fastest man. "He's in another class right now but I'm working hard to get there," he said. "The challenge is for me to work hard to get to where he is at."

Keep up the hard work brother. 

Ato, does Bolt have to improve his PB at 400m?  I would agree that the pretenders to his throne must to have a chance against him.  As I said it woul dbe great for the sport if someone could mount a challenge.

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
Oh and I remember Bolt smashing the 150 some time last year in manchester in 14.35 seconds.  A wet kinda cold day too.  The last 100m in 8.72 secs.

Bolt in the stratosphere de rest trying to reach he orbit...good luck tyson.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 05:57:47 AM »
Here's how I predict the rest of this season into the next will play out in the Gay Bolt (no pun intended) saga:

Tyson and his coach knows they can't catch up to Bolt in 1 year but that this year is as good as any to close the gap, since Bolt himself said "if they want to try to catch/beat me, this is the year to do it" i.e. he's coasting by his standards.

Tyson will run 19.25-19.35 (most likely break MJ's 200m record) and also improve on his 100m PR.

Bolt will naturally respond or may have to do so in a head-to-head race and either run 19.0x (win) or 19.20s (win or lose).

Bolt's coach will confront him and tell him he has to run more serious 400m in early 2011 to keep ahead of Tyson who is catching up.

Bolt will do some glorious in the 400m in 2011........santimanitay.......mr. fiddler

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 02:24:31 PM »
No, Bolt doesn't have to improve his 400 because he gets it in other ways. I never ran open 400s but we would run in the low 47s in practice as part of workouts....Bolt this year has already split a crazy 43.6, so he doesn't need to run an open one to prove anything.

He is strong enough.

The point is still either get better at 400 and 200 or watch Bolt disappear in the distance ahead. Everyone but Tyson has not improved at 200m since Beijing. Powell has at 400 though.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »
I don't expect Bolt to run any more quarters this year for sure. He has already said he won't venture there until post-2012.

But I suspect that IF as a result of Tyson's experiment this year, he gets the results he's looking for - being in "biting" range or even "dipping" range of Bolt in the 200m, it may force Bolt or moreso his coach to urge him to reconsider running them seriously in 2011 (whether in practice, relays or open).

I've seen enough mid-43 400m splits. I am hopeful that Bolt is forced to go there, that way so we can all see something really special - 42 low

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »
Good to see Kim Collins still getting dese kinda gigs... ;D
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:38 AM »
Kim came out of retirement. NO CLUE why.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 07:06:42 AM »
Kim came out of retirement. NO CLUE why.

He have woman and child to feed.

1]; } ?>