April 20, 2024, 08:31:31 AM

Author Topic: Mike & Mike penalty kicks vs Shaka  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mike & Mike penalty kicks vs Shaka
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »
<a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/videohub/player.swf?mediaId=5189344" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://sports.espn.go.com/videohub/player.swf?mediaId=5189344</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Mike & Mike penalty kicks vs Shaka
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »
Nice li'l promo... ESPN trying hard to make back dat World Cup money, lol

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »
Thanks for posting the video Tallman.

Tommy Smith really look like ah gnome in trute.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
Shaka repping with he TRI shirt...he is slowly becoming a household name in soccer commentary / analysis.  I think analysis is his strength, so he would be a good parnter to someone who calls the game, but doesn't have the acument to analyse a match properly.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:37:25 PM »
Shaka repping with he TRI shirt...he is slowly becoming a household name in soccer commentary / analysis.  I think analysis is his strength, so he would be a good parnter to someone who calls the game, but doesn't have the acument to analyse a match properly.

You don't think?    When you listen to him in-studio I find his analysis is sound. When you listen to his interviews his insight and analysis of both on-field and off-field issues are on point.  Where he has faltered (in his one big opportunity thus far) was providing analysis in-game... real time on the fly analysis.  Some people are natural speakers and some are not.  I personally think he falls in the latter.  I think because of the breadth of his professional experience he's become comfortable with the publicity that accompanies professional success and so has become comfortable with speaking in that spotlight. 

He showed more than a bit of nerves when thrust before the camera as the game was about to unfold last year April and ESPN hasn't trusted him since.  I think what they need to do is farm him out to do some lower-profile college games to help him hone his craft, get him in front of the camera as much as possible otherwise and then I think we'll start to see a different product in front of the camera.  I think he has the knowledge, personality and ability to be a good analyst, and for me that's all the "acumen" one needs.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 03:45:21 PM »
nice!!!!   ;D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »

You don't think?    When you listen to him in-studio I find his analysis is sound. When you listen to his interviews his insight and analysis of both on-field and off-field issues are on point.  Where he has faltered (in his one big opportunity thus far) was providing analysis in-game... real time on the fly analysis.  Some people are natural speakers and some are not.  I personally think he falls in the latter.  I think because of the breadth of his professional experience he's become comfortable with the publicity that accompanies professional success and so has become comfortable with speaking in that spotlight. 

He showed more than a bit of nerves when thrust before the camera as the game was about to unfold last year April and ESPN hasn't trusted him since.  I think what they need to do is farm him out to do some lower-profile college games to help him hone his craft, get him in front of the camera as much as possible otherwise and then I think we'll start to see a different product in front of the camera.  I think he has the knowledge, personality and ability to be a good analyst, and for me that's all the "acumen" one needs.

Maybe my statement was ambigious.  I meant:  He is a sound analyst (his stron point), but his running commentary is not that great, hence the reason why he would be a good complement to a commentator who calls the game well, but lacks strong analysis.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »

Being a good commentator takes alot of preparation...was watching a show wid John Motson today where he was talking about some of the notes he prepares before each game on every single player...it was extremely thorough....much of what a good commentator says will appear to be off the cuff insight but in reality will have been researched and committed to memory beforehand...iz only in Trinidad where Dave Lamy could come on TV and say whatever $hit comes into his head lol.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 05:13:01 PM »
seems shaka learn ah thing from the master - JW. man accept coins dey oui.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 06:24:06 PM »
Maybe my statement was ambigious.  I meant:  He is a sound analyst (his stron point), but his running commentary is not that great, hence the reason why he would be a good complement to a commentator who calls the game well, but lacks strong analysis.

Okay... I see your point and agree.  I think he more suited to the analyst position (color commentary if you will), than actually calling the match (play by play) itself.

Being a good commentator takes alot of preparation...was watching a show wid John Motson today where he was talking about some of the notes he prepares before each game on every single player...it was extremely thorough....much of what a good commentator says will appear to be off the cuff insight but in reality will have been researched and committed to memory beforehand...iz only in Trinidad where Dave Lamy could come on TV and say whatever $hit comes into his head lol.

Agree as well... it's definitely a whole lot more than just showing up.  My comments were more towards the qualifications to be an analyst (the "acumen") rather than targeting specifically what would make a good/great analyst in practice.  I can't think of exactly who the analyst was, but I've read similar accounts before in terms of preparation before the game/match/event.  The research into each player, traits and tendencies, background info on the teams that might be of relevance, trends from prior meetings etc. 

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »

Actually he has been doing live color commentry on ESPN. We don't see it because it's on the international market. I noticed that he was on a few games while I was in Trini.
I actually asked him about it and he confirmed that has been doing games but they have been in the Latin American market.
TnT Patriot

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »
Actually he has been doing live color commentry on ESPN. We don't see it because it's on the international market. I noticed that he was on a few games while I was in Trini.
I actually asked him about it and he confirmed that has been doing games but they have been in the Latin American market.

Oh really?  Nice... I was disappointed that ESPN seemed discouraged by his early misstep and what I perceived as them being unwilling to give him another chance.  Glad to know that my take on the situation was wrong and that they actually seem committed to helping him develop.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »
Yes they showed this last week on Mike and Mike but I'd just woke up and thought I was still dreaming lol.....Nice to see Shaka representing on ESPN.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 12:52:11 AM »
discuss de fitball
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 03:42:07 AM »

.....and I think he's been doing it for a couple years now....

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »
discuss de fitball

:rotfl: what stupidness i seeing here..  :rotfl:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
Shaka getting better but i still remember about two years ago he was doing color for an MLS game on camera and he just froze up mid-sentence on camera and couldnt recover. Most awkward moment ever lol
Hart for president

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »
Shaka getting better but i still remember about two years ago he was doing color for an MLS game on camera and he just froze up mid-sentence on camera and couldnt recover. Most awkward moment ever lol

Dat was last year... the April game when we played the US in Nashville.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
Thanks for posting the video Tallman.

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 04:48:46 AM »
discuss de fitball

:rotfl: what stupidness i seeing here..  :rotfl:

well yes :rotfl: :rotfl:

1]; } ?>