May 01, 2024, 02:32:43 AM

Author Topic: Blatter’s ploy to dump shamed Warner.  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Blatter’s ploy to dump shamed Warner.
« on: May 20, 2010, 07:57:57 PM »
By Andrew Jennings

FIFA president threatens legal action against Miami fraud conference – guaranteeing global interest in corruption allegations against Jack Warner.  Also: Hear the full presentation online. [More]

http://www.transparencyinsport.org
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Blatter’s ploy to dump shamed Warner.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
By Andrew Jennings

FIFA president threatens legal action against Miami fraud conference – guaranteeing global interest in corruption allegations against Jack Warner.  Also: Hear the full presentation online. [More]

http://www.transparencyinsport.org

Can hardly wait but not holding my breath.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:43:47 PM »
ah lorse ah $173 Million
anyone find it?

some time later..........................
Seap Bladder send meh ah pm and he say he GEH IT
He say THANK YOU VERY MUCH SOCAWARRIORS and he ent dumping Warner atall atall
Warner is he MONEY Man
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
This is laughable, Blatter is getting rid of Warner because he is corrupt?  I'm no Warner fan but its the pot calling the kettle black.  F#CK BLATTER AND FIFA

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:53:31 AM »
Jennings trying a divide and conquer riff here by trying to make Jack not trust the man (unless Jack make a move to depose Sepp quietly and getting comeuppance now). Sepp not touching Jack, he controls too many votes.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Power of the dark side - corruption in FIFA
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:10:45 AM »
Power of the dark side
Andrew Jennings talks to Sally Evans about his damning exposé of Sepp Blatter & Fifa
May 20, 2010 10:01 PM | By Sally Evans
The Big Interview:With only 20 days to go before we host the world's biggest sporting event, there's no turning back.

FIFA FO FUM: Andrew Jennings, top, has been banned from Fifa media briefings. His book 'Foul!' is published by Harper Sport
  'South Africa bent over and let Fifa have their way'

But when the final whistle has blown, the dust settled and all our guests from hither and thon have returned thither and yon, discarding their vuvuzelas on the way to the airport, will we find that it has all been worth it?

In the past year, there have been hundreds of reports of people falling foul of the rules and regulations governing the soccer World Cup - a brand fiercely and brutally protected by Fifa, which, since it was founded exactly 106 years ago today, has become one of the world's most secretive and perhaps most powerful organisations.

Fifa's glory is on the field, under the bright lights of our amazing new stadiums, but its shame lurks in the shadows, and there's no one who knows the darker side of Fifa better than British investigative sports reporter Andrew Jennings.

Jennings has spent three decades exposing the corruption and greed that has come to define some of the world's biggest sporting organisations. Consequently, he has the rare privilege of being the only reporter in the world banned from Fifa media briefings.

Speaking from his home in Manchester, in the UK, Jennings said his first encounter with sports investigations was by chance: he "stumbled into the International Olympic Committee".

"I discovered that the IOC's president, Juan Antonio Samaranch, was a fascist under [long-time Spanish dictator Gen Francisco] Franco - and that the only exercise he had ever done was raising his right arm. It was then that I started delving into the IOC's national executive committee, and I learnt a lot. I wrote three books on the buggers!"

Jennings caused such a ruckus with his exposé on the Olympic body's "blue-shirted" leader that he was jailed for five days in Lausanne, Switzerland. It was this that catapulted him into the world of Fifa.

"The IOC and Fifa had a common link: International Sport and Leisure. The company was Fifa's former marketing partner but went insolvent amid allegations that it was bribing Fifa officials to secure lucrative contracts for marketing and television rights. The kickbacks for Fifa were fantastic. I didn't want to investigate Fifa, but I knew something was there."

On the subject of Fifa's president, Sepp Blatter, Jennings does not hold back.

"Herr Blatter!" he jokes, adding: "He doesn't like it when you call him that ."

Since South Africa won the bid in 2004 to host the 2010 Fifa World Cup, we have become accustomed to Blatter's face on our televisions: kowtowing to former president Nelson Mandela, cutting ribbons at new sports facilities in poor townships and, of course, assuring us that "we are on schedule".

In his acclaimed book Foul! Jennings gets straight to the point on our successful bid.

"One candidate for 2010 had something Jack Warner - a Fifa executive from Trinidad and Tobago, notorious for allegedly defrauding that country's soccer team of millions of pounds in 2006 - wanted more than anything else: Nelson Mandela. And if they wanted his vote, Jack had to have his pound of Mandela's flesh [access to Madiba]."

Jennings has devoted much of his time to investigating Warner's alleged corruption and nepotism.

"He is a horrible, horrible thief."

Jennings explains that 13 players from the national Trinidad side, the Soca Warriors, which qualified for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, are still owed money by Warner, the head of their national soccer federation.

The players were each paid about 500 Trinidad pounds, but it came out later that the Trinidad and Tobago soccer federation had made 15million pounds.

In May 2008, a UK court ruled against Warner and ordered that the players be compensated - but this has yet to happen.

But that's Warner. How is Blatter, the man who will be moving in for a month to run our country, perceived internationally?

Jennings says: "Well, it's not for nothing that he has been booed at the last two World Cups. Your country is being exploited. The profits of the World Cup won't trickle down - they won't go to anyone except Fifa.

"Have Fifa's soccer grants been properly applied?" Jennings asks. "No. Blatter looks for officials who can be corrupted. He is a very good politician."

One of the main bones of contention in the hosting of this World Cup has been the price of transport and accommodation.

"When the lights went out at Lehman Brothers, everyone took a big hit. Because of the financial crisis, corporate and ordinary fans didn't have the resources to pay silly money for hospitality packages."

The problem, Jennings says, is that the exclusive holder of the official hospitality programme, Match Hospitality, "has milked the fans".

Blatter's nephew, Philippe, is a partner in the company.

"Paying $755 for a return domestic flight is not going to happen this time. It is too late, people decided last year that they weren't coming. Transport and hospitality got the shaft; these come before violence as a deterring factor. People just can't afford it.

"Not even the American wholesaler could sell the overpriced hospitality packages. For Match it's just greed, greed, greed.

"What matters is the percentage of the commissions they make. So they push the prices higher to make a bigger commission. But the corporates won't spend money in this economic climate."

But aren't Fifa and the local organising committee constantly assuring us that there are hardly any tickets left?

"Well, your municipalities are buying tickets. They tell you there are no empty seats because we have to believe there is a scarcity value; there has been a political move to cover up the scandal. Blatter is dishing out tickets to the unemployed - you are going to get screwed."

Jennings insists, in no uncertain terms, that Fifa, Match and the local organising committee have "screwed" us and that any profit made from the event "stays in Zurich", where Fifa has its headquarters.

"South Africa bent over and let Fifa have their way. Officials and the government have sold South Africa down the river: 'Bye Africa, bye suckers!'"

For visitors from the northern hemisphere, he adds: "Trading one winter for another is not all that appealing."

According to Jennings, after the final whistle blows, South Africans have nothing to look forward to but a mountain of scandal, debt and - in our shiny new, expensive stadiums - some rather large white elephants.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 08:28:21 AM »
WOW... just wow.

Jack Warner and his boss Blatter is real crooks.

It sounds like a chain of crooks, from T&T to USA and to Europe Blattres home.

I hope Horace Burrell don't get that work.

But oneday Jack will fall, I cant wait.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
What job you talking about Sando?

If is as Jack sweet pardner as the head of the JFF, he dun get that job long time
http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/views.aspx?id=225

if it is as FIFA Ambassador, he geh dat also
http://www.go2africa.com/world-cup-2010/african-safari-guide/horace-burrell

and finally

"He is senior vice president of the 30-nation Caribbean Football Union (CFU), the sport's most powerful body in the region.
He also serves on the Disciplinary Committee of FIFA, world football's governing body, has been nominated for Executive Committee membership of CONCACAF, and is a vice-president of the Jamaica Olympic Association. In addition, Burrell was recently named to head the CFU's new marketing department."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:38:31 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 06:31:14 PM »
What job you talking about Sando?

If is as Jack sweet pardner as the head of the JFF, he dun get that job long time
http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/views.aspx?id=225

if it is as FIFA Ambassador, he geh dat also
http://www.go2africa.com/world-cup-2010/african-safari-guide/horace-burrell

and finally

"He is senior vice president of the 30-nation Caribbean Football Union (CFU), the sport's most powerful body in the region.
He also serves on the Disciplinary Committee of FIFA, world football's governing body, has been nominated for Executive Committee membership of CONCACAF, and is a vice-president of the Jamaica Olympic Association. In addition, Burrell was recently named to head the CFU's new marketing department."

Jeff Webb President of Cayman FA also have a Job at FIFA , I think CFU should hold a election
between Burrell & Webb and the winner goes on to head Concacaf . I think it is time for Warner
to step down , am hearing too much things about him from andrew jenning .

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:32:54 PM »
WOW... just wow.

Jack Warner and his boss Blatter is real crooks.

It sounds like a chain of crooks, from T&T to USA and to Europe Blattres home.

But oneday Jack will fall, I cant wait.

u r evil .

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Power of the dark side - corruption in FIFA
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 08:26:35 AM »
Power of the dark side
Andrew Jennings talks to Sally Evans about his damning exposé of Sepp Blatter & Fifa
May 20, 2010 10:01 PM | By Sally Evans
The Big Interview:With only 20 days to go before we host the world's biggest sporting event, there's no turning back.

FIFA FO FUM: Andrew Jennings, top, has been banned from Fifa media briefings. His book 'Foul!' is published by Harper Sport
  'South Africa bent over and let Fifa have their way'

But when the final whistle has blown, the dust settled and all our guests from hither and thon have returned thither and yon, discarding their vuvuzelas on the way to the airport, will we find that it has all been worth it?

In the past year, there have been hundreds of reports of people falling foul of the rules and regulations governing the soccer World Cup - a brand fiercely and brutally protected by Fifa, which, since it was founded exactly 106 years ago today, has become one of the world's most secretive and perhaps most powerful organisations.

Fifa's glory is on the field, under the bright lights of our amazing new stadiums, but its shame lurks in the shadows, and there's no one who knows the darker side of Fifa better than British investigative sports reporter Andrew Jennings.

Jennings has spent three decades exposing the corruption and greed that has come to define some of the world's biggest sporting organisations. Consequently, he has the rare privilege of being the only reporter in the world banned from Fifa media briefings.

Speaking from his home in Manchester, in the UK, Jennings said his first encounter with sports investigations was by chance: he "stumbled into the International Olympic Committee".

"I discovered that the IOC's president, Juan Antonio Samaranch, was a fascist under [long-time Spanish dictator Gen Francisco] Franco - and that the only exercise he had ever done was raising his right arm. It was then that I started delving into the IOC's national executive committee, and I learnt a lot. I wrote three books on the buggers!"

Jennings caused such a ruckus with his exposé on the Olympic body's "blue-shirted" leader that he was jailed for five days in Lausanne, Switzerland. It was this that catapulted him into the world of Fifa.

"The IOC and Fifa had a common link: International Sport and Leisure. The company was Fifa's former marketing partner but went insolvent amid allegations that it was bribing Fifa officials to secure lucrative contracts for marketing and television rights. The kickbacks for Fifa were fantastic. I didn't want to investigate Fifa, but I knew something was there."

On the subject of Fifa's president, Sepp Blatter, Jennings does not hold back.

"Herr Blatter!" he jokes, adding: "He doesn't like it when you call him that ."

Since South Africa won the bid in 2004 to host the 2010 Fifa World Cup, we have become accustomed to Blatter's face on our televisions: kowtowing to former president Nelson Mandela, cutting ribbons at new sports facilities in poor townships and, of course, assuring us that "we are on schedule".

In his acclaimed book Foul! Jennings gets straight to the point on our successful bid.

"One candidate for 2010 had something Jack Warner - a Fifa executive from Trinidad and Tobago, notorious for allegedly defrauding that country's soccer team of millions of pounds in 2006 - wanted more than anything else: Nelson Mandela. And if they wanted his vote, Jack had to have his pound of Mandela's flesh [access to Madiba]."

Jennings has devoted much of his time to investigating Warner's alleged corruption and nepotism.

"He is a horrible, horrible thief."

Jennings explains that 13 players from the national Trinidad side, the Soca Warriors, which qualified for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, are still owed money by Warner, the head of their national soccer federation.

The players were each paid about 500 Trinidad pounds, but it came out later that the Trinidad and Tobago soccer federation had made 15million pounds.

In May 2008, a UK court ruled against Warner and ordered that the players be compensated - but this has yet to happen.

But that's Warner. How is Blatter, the man who will be moving in for a month to run our country, perceived internationally?

Jennings says: "Well, it's not for nothing that he has been booed at the last two World Cups. Your country is being exploited. The profits of the World Cup won't trickle down - they won't go to anyone except Fifa.

Aaahhm...this article really focusses on the corruption of all of FIFA INCLUDING Blatter, so I really don't think it should have been merged. It contradicts the title of the page.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Pensioners Rock!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 08:15:51 AM »
Was Lord Triesman on to something? Just ask Jennings

Matthew Bell (The Independent) meets the journalist who's dedicated 20 years to exposing corruption in sport.

If you stand in the garden of Andrew Jennings's Cumbrian farmhouse, looking across the Eden Valley to the Pennines on the horizon, the sordid details of the Lord Triesman affair seem far away.

The chairman of the Football Association resigned last week after The Mail on Sunday published a secretly recorded conversation in which he made allegations of bribery between Russia and Spain. All week, the newspaper has been loudly condemned for endangering England's bid for the 2018 World Cup, and Triesman's comments have been dismissed by sports journalists as far-fetched.

But if you follow Jennings into his study and listen to him talk about the rich history of corruption in international football, you begin to feel the world has turned topsy-turvy. "Why didn't The Mail on Sunday investigate Triesman's allegations?" he asks. "If Russia is guilty of bribing Spanish referees, that's a story. Instead of going after that, they punished the source. Nobody wants to touch the real story."

And he should know. Jennings, 66, is a veteran investigative reporter who has dedicated the past 20 years to exposing corruption in sport. He has been banned from Fifa press conferences since 2003, when he wrote a story claiming the Fifa chairman, Sepp Blatter, had taken a secret bonus. At times, he says, he's "like a madman outside the castle walls, shouting to be heard".

Jennings may be single-minded, but his research is thorough. Both his books – the first, The Lords of the Rings, an exposé of the International Olympic Committee; the second, a look at the murky side of Fifa – were based on leaked documentary evidence. Tellingly, he has not been sued for either.

It comes as no surprise to Jennings that Lord Triesman's comments have been widely poo-pooed. According to him, sports news reporters are guilty of wilfully ignoring major stories of corruption for fear they will lose access to players and matches.

"On every other section of a newspaper, an editor requires his reporters to have audacity, determination, and to hold the buggers to account. Not in sport. As long as they turn up at a football match on time and file the copy, that's all they're interested in. So we have a cabal of sports reporters who succeed by assiduous arse-licking."

Jennings, highly regarded among investigative reporters, had a long career in newspapers and TV before turning to his pet subject. "The most important thing is to develop your sources," he says, "There are corrupt and stupid people at the top of every institution. But as you go down the company, you find people are more decent. There are moral, straight people trying to do their jobs, who get upset about what they see happening. And they might just pass you the document you need."

He fell into journalism by accident in 1968. After failing to finish his degree in social administration, he got caught up in the Hull trawlers disasters, when three boats sank within as many weeks, with the loss of 58 lives. He soon became a reporter on the Burnley Evening Star before heading to Manchester, in those days a hub of newspaper journalism. Stints on the Daily Mirror and The Guardian were followed by a contract with Radio 4, where he worked with Roger Bolton, and Granada, where he worked with the acclaimed film director Paul Greengrass.

It was Greengrass who pointed him in the direction of investigating sports politics, and the ensuing book on the Olympics landed a number of major scoops, revealing the murky process by which countries bid to host the games: several IOC members subsequently resigned and others were sacked. He says the bidding process for countries hoping to host the World Cup is similarly at risk of corruption. "Look, Russia has made it clear they want the World Cup in 2018," he says with a meaningful expression. "Governments want the World Cup purely for the prestige, but the benefits are greatly exaggerated. Take South Africa – they don't need a 90,000-seat stadium, when people in the townships can't afford the bus ride to get there."

But Blatter is Jennings's special subject, and his book about Fifa, Foul!, is almost entirely dedicated to bringing him down. Before sport, Jennings covered corruption in police forces and consumer fraud. "When children ask me what exactly I do, I say I make a living out of chasing bad people." This has not been without its reprisals: his phone line has been tampered with so often he now only communicates with contacts via Voip (Voice Over Internet Protocol), a system like Skype that scrambles data and cannot be traced to a geographical address.

Needless to say, he has already turned his attention to Lord Triesman's allegations, and is constantly updating his website, transparencyinsport.org, a blizzard of extraordinary allegations that would make any libel lawyer blench. As he shows me yet another YouTube clip of him doorstepping Sepp Blatter, I ask if the internet has been good for journalism. "The internet is a great tool," he says, "but it's never as good as talking to people. There's a story behind every front door."

Cumbrian journalist waging one man war against Fifa.
By Roger Lytollis (Cumberland News).

Andrew Jennings pounds his hands up and down to mime the typing of most national newspaper sportswriters.

“Up the blues! Or the greens! The stripes did well! Or badly. Blah blah blah.”

Jennings may belong to the same species. But he is definitely a different breed.

A sportswriter who has not covered a football match since Burnley reserves in 1968.

A sportswriter who approaches next month’s World Cup with little interest in what happens on South Africa’s pitches and an obsession with what the cameras never see.

Obsession does not seem too strong a word, considering the four years Jennings spent writing Foul! The Secret World of Fifa: Bribes, Vote-rigging and Ticket Scandals.

The clue is in the title. Jennings has waged a one-man war on world football’s governing body from his home in the countryside near Penrith.

He argues that many Fifa officials are more concerned with the health of their bank balances than with football, an urge he says is satisfied by dodgy deals, hidden bonus payments and bribes.

Despite an attempt by Fifa president Sepp Blatter to impose a global ban, Foul! has been translated into 14 languages, including Albanian and Chinese.

Fifa’s threats of legal action against Jennings have never been followed through but he is the only journalist in the world banned from Blatter’s press conferences.

It seems only to spur him on. At 66 Jennings is still circling the planet in search of stories. That energy crackles throughout a two-hour interview in which getting a word in proves a challenge.

A word or two is all it takes to set Jennings off on another course. Sit back and watch him go. The Duracell bunny of journalism.

Since the late 1960s, Jennings has written for most national newspapers and presented both the BBC’s and ITV’s flagship investigative programmes: Panorama and World In Action. He has written best-selling books, presented radio shows and broken stories on his website www.transparencyinsport. org

Whatever the medium, the driving force is the same. “It’s not rocket science,” he says, his southern accent untouched by a decade in Cumbria. “There are stories. You find them. You tell them.”

An eye-catching example came five days ago when the Mail on Sunday published private comments allegedly made by Lord Triesman, the head of England’s bid to stage the 2018 World Cup.

Triesman suggested that skullduggery between the Russian and Spanish football authorities might scupper England. He resigned on the day of publication.

Jennings is intrigued by the story, and appalled by the way it was conducted. He is appalled by much of what passes for investigative journalism and sportswriting.

“Who set Triesman up, and why? I’m talking to friends and we think we know who did it. The story should not have been run. It was a grotesque invasion of privacy and is even smellier than these things usually are.

“Why didn't the journalists use the tip to launch an investigation? It is utterly hypocritical of these reporters to utter faux rage over Triesman’s alleged comments when such allegations are common currency wherever a hack meets another hack.”

He lambasts British sports-news journalists for what he sees as their failure to hold sport’s governing bodies to account, largely for fear of losing access to events.

Before investigating Fifa, Jennings wrote three books about the International Olympic Committee (IOC), one with his wife; journalist and novelist Clare Sambrook.

1992’s The Lords of the Rings was named by Sports Illustrated magazine as one of the best 100 sports books of all time.

The book revealed corruption in the IOC, and the fascist background of the organisation’s then-president Juan Samaranch.

In a documentary, Jennings was filmed approaching Samaranch with photographs of the president making fascist salutes: “Mr Samaranch – do you still believe in the fascist ideal?”

Jennings thrives on the feeling of rushing back to the van with a camera crew and seeing how months of work have paid off.

“You play the film and think ‘That’s gonna be good!’ You feel good. You’re doing the job you’re paid to. I think the appeal is a mixture of curiosity and justice. You’ve got responsibilities to the people who are busy doing their jobs and haven’t got time to find out the things we find out.

“The most enjoyable bit is getting the evidence. If people are doing things in private that they’re not doing in public, there is a gap. They’re not what they say they are. That’s where investigative journalism comes in.”

Before becoming immersed in the world of sport, Jennings’ work included six years investigating police corruption.

His 1989 book Scotland Yard’s Cocaine Connection revealed the relationship between London’s top gangster and the city’s top detective.

“If you want to find out about corruption, you talk to the criminals. They tell you who they pay to stay out of prison. I used to know a lot of armed robbers in London.

“I got more worried about the Met than the criminals. As I closed in on a small group of policemen, they had an image to protect.

“I found out the police were watching my home. It wasn’t me they were after – they wanted to know who was coming to my house.

“One of my sources was a policeman who I’d meet in a pub. We’d start by going to the toilets where he would frisk me, which must have looked very dodgy. But he’s got to check I’m not wired or that’s his career over.”

Jennings’ many awards include one from the New York Television and Film Festival for his investigation of British involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal, in which members of President Reagan’s government helped sell arms to Iran.

He has filmed the Mafia in Palermo as they exported heroin to the UK and the USA.

In 1993 he led the first Western TV crew into the republic of Chechnya to investigate the Russian Mafia.

Jennings regards his most dangerous assignment as Beirut in 1989 when Syria was shelling the city. “We were in a helicopter flying under the radar, below 50 feet. All these claxons came on. All these noises. You can see the gunboats.

“I’d read Vietnam War books. One said, ‘Every time we went up in a chopper, we sat on a car hub plate. You might get shot in the leg but you come away with your nuts.’ I prised a hubcap off a shot-up Mercedes and sat on it every time I was in the helicopter. I kept it for years.

“There was one horrible scene. This guy was fishing on the rocks and a shell landed. His day fishing got interrupted. In the hospital I’m underneath him, holding some curtain out of the way. I’m getting blood dripped on me where this guy’s intestines are falling out. But that’s not shocking. What do you expect in a war zone? Triesman is more shocking than dead bodies.”

And there’s Andrew Jennings summing himself up. Nothing startles more than secrets revealed and tricks played to uncover them. The gulf between the image we project and the truth we hide.

In the past three weeks the search for that truth has taken him to Cape Town, Frankfurt and Miami. There are always more cities, more stories.

“We have an ambition,” says Jennings of the people he regards as proper journalists. “GET THE STORY! How are we going to get the story?”

He sits up in his chair and mimes a stallion driving its hoof back and forward through the ground.

Andrew Jennings
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
http://www.insideworldfootball.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8030:exclusive-it-would-need-a-miracle-for-me-to-be-separated-from-warner&catid=50:central-a-north-america&Itemid=62

Exclusive: It would need a miracle for me to be separated from Warner says Blatter
Tuesday, 04 May 2010  .By David Owen

May 4 - FIFA President Joseph Blatter has sent a message of support to Jack Warner, in the wake of allegations he is waging a covert campaign to evict the CONCACAF President from world football's governing body.

In a characteristically effusive message, seen by insideworldfootball, which is understood to have been circulated to other FIFA bosses, Blatter wrote: "For Jack Austin Warner and Joseph S. Blatter to be separated, something more is necessary than [the allegations of] an obsessed 'journalist'.

"It would require more than an iceberg, a volcano or an earthquake…

"It would need a miracle for that to happen!

"But since all miracles have been proven to be positive, that won't happen either."

His initiative followed a report in a newspaper in Warner's native Trinidad and Tobago headlined, "FIFA wants Warner out".

The report, in the Newsday newspaper, quoted a statement by Andrew Jennings, the British investigative journalist, reading as follows: "It seems Blatter's covert campaign to evict Jack Warner from FIFA is getting under the skin of the UNC chairman.

"Blatter is a subtle operator and his deftly managed campaign to give global publicity to my presentation at the Ritz-Carlton in Miami to an audience of US government investigators and prosecutors, is rightly worrying Mr Warner."

The report comes at a sensitive time, with Warner having recently temporarily stepped away from his international football commitments because of this month's national election in Trinidad and Tobago, where he is chairman of the opposition United National Congress (UNC) party.

As reported by insideworldfootball, Warner recently accused Jennings, with whom he has had a stormy relationship, of being part of a government plot to smear his name ahead of the May 24 election.

Jennings, who has denied Warner's allegations, is scheduled to speak today at the annual OffshoreAlert Financial Due Diligence conference in Miami. 

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: http://www.transparencyinsport.org/
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »
so is this the end jw?

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
Teflon Jack ::) eh easy hoss...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
so is this the end jw?
BE REAL! This must have been MONTHS ago, the article refers to Jack being "..busy trying to buy a General elections in Trinidad..."

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:51 PM »
and thus, it suggests a track record, surely...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
JW has been courted and received a lot from England. The English team playing in T&T, English Coaches coming to do courses, building that facility in Longdenville, Sending Becks and ah whole crew for naught. USA who is is cahoots with JW also get the shaft.

I would be thinking as the USSF what is the reward for being loayl or aligned with JW? 2026?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »
JW has been courted and received a lot from England. The English team playing in T&T, English Coaches coming to do courses, building that facility in Longdenville, Sending Becks and ah whole crew for naught. USA who is is cahoots with JW also get the shaft.

I would be thinking as the USSF what is the reward for being loayl or aligned with JW? 2026?

they all voted together for 2022... there is no reward.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »
What's in it for the USA

You get to play in T&T's group in the qualifying stages, a guaranteed 6-12 points over two rounds and seeding in the World Cup group games.

What more can you ask for.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 02:28:40 PM »
Good Job Jennings. Russia here we come!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 02:33:06 PM »
What's in it for the USA

You get to play in T&T's group in the qualifying stages, a guaranteed 6-12 points over two rounds and seeding in the World Cup group games.

What more can you ask for.

I think USA have shown that qualifying favorably out of CONCACAF is no problem.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>