March 28, 2024, 05:26:33 AM

Author Topic: ‘West Indies cricket–Damned if you do, damned if you don’t’  (Read 684 times)

AirMan

‘West Indies cricket–Damned if you do, damned if you don’t’
Colin Croft
Published: 23 May 2010

Colin Croft
It is truly amazing how things go for West Indies cricket. If it is not nearly pure gold, then it reverts to being pure thrash. On the one hand, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and the International Cricket Council (ICC) must take great amounts of respect, praise and kudos for putting on such a magnificent show that was the ICC World T-20 West Indies 2010. I know most of the ICC and WICB operatives personally and I have been very loud and communicative in my praise to them, singularly and collectively, since it was the best organised cricket event that I have ever been to and I have seen them all, everywhere around the world, since 1994. The organisation and friendliness, might it have been in St Kitts, for especially the women’s competition, or Guyana, St Lucia or Barbados, was superb, surpassing anything that has occurred in the sporting Caribbean previously.

We would not even compare it to that shambles that was the 2007 ICC (50 overs) World Cup in these parts. This is the proverbial “chalk and cheese” situation; no contest! Both the inaugural ICC WT-20 2007 event, in South Africa, and the similar 2009 event, in the United Kingdom, were easily surpassed as regards organisation, information, enjoyment, freedom, pleasure and even some good cricket. We hail the WICB here! Incidentally, that Australia played England in the men’s final, and the Australian women played the New Zealand women in their final, also confirmed that the cream always rises to the top. These four teams were easily the best in their competitions. Read More http://guardian.co.tt/sports/cricket/2010/05/23/west-indies-cricket-damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don-t

1]; } ?>