April 28, 2024, 12:16:41 PM

Author Topic: The making of a cabinet?  (Read 12901 times)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: The making of a cabinet?
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
good ideas. hope they follow through and it works :praying:
He sounding good. Any change would have been a step up from Joseph. Always thought he was a goat.
agree. my main complaint with our last pm is that he would stick with goats like these.  with the most lame brain ideas.  and he will defend them to the end.  God bless T&T and for the sake of the people I wish him luck.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »
As the FIFA VP you think Jack giving up that position for any ministerial post in Trinidad and Tobago? Salary wise???
Allyuh muss be mad!!

He he taking ah position that means he hadda tell we how much he worth and how much assets he have. You honestly think Jack that dotish?

I want to know who is Ministers of National Security, Health and Finance.

Those 3 ministries have enough work to straighten out to last them 5 years, or when the coalition break up.
Which ever comes first.

But Kams gave a good speech and she looks really beautiful in the lime green outfit. :beermug:
She buff bout 2 reporters and ah security guard. When asked if she had spoken to Panday, she paused and then said 'no no no no no no!'

How can Jack do the people's business and yet fly all over the world to do FIFA's business. There are serious conflict of interest on FIFA's part. They have a VP who probably will be a gov't minister. Yet they don't want the gov't to interfere with football. Bunch of f--king hypocrits.

NEVER will happen. Jacks hadda resign from FIFA to accept any position Kams give him.
Think of it, Minister of Sports and also VP of FIFA or Minister of Finance and VP of FIFA......THAT IS MADNESS!!

Jack will never give up VP of FIFA....

We will see!!!!

Deeks where ya?
So he is Minister of Transport <----- kinda strange to see him there.
But anyways, he HAS to give up FIFA VP position eh?

The way them FIFA hypcrits does work they will make sure their wording in their laws don't cause a conflict of interest. He will still hold all the jobs.

Warner to give up roles in FIFA committees
Friday 28th May, 2010
cnews

Newly sworn-in Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner will be traveling abroad next week to give up his chairmanship of several FIFA committees to ensure there is no conflict between his Vice Presidency at FIFA and his new Cabinet role.

And Mr. Warner has already identified key priorities for the Works and Transport Ministry and says the Rapid Rail project is not one of them.

Mr. Warner told reporters that he will continue to serve as the FIFA Vice President while serving as the Works and Transport Minister.

Mr. Warner says he will also continue as special advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation but is willing to give up that post if it any conflict arises with his new Cabinet duties.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »
Ah been meaning to ask for the longest while....what is the function/purpose of the Min of Public Administration??   :-\

They are responsible for the CPO/DPA. These 2 agengies are responsible for Public Servants. Anybody notice it eh have no Min of Information or Misinformation.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:04 AM »
Ah been meaning to ask for the longest while....what is the function/purpose of the Min of Public Administration??   :-\

They are responsible for the CPO/DPA. These 2 agengies are responsible for Public Servants. Anybody notice it eh have no Min of Information or Misinformation.

Thanks re: Public Administriation...but aaarrrm what is a DPA??  Ah correct to say CPO is Chief Personnel Officer right?  But ah cyar figure out the next one.....Director of Public Administration perhaps??.... :-\

Also, yeah Kamla say Information goh come from she office....I never saw the need for a Min of Information....just like I don't see the need for a Min of the People......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »

Thanks re: Public Administriation...but aaarrrm what is a DPA??  Ah correct to say CPO is Chief Personnel Officer right?  But ah cyar figure out the next one.....Director of Public Administration perhaps??.... :-\

Also, yeah Kamla say Information goh come from she office....I never saw the need for a Min of Information....just like I don't see the need for a Min of the People......

Director of Personnel Administration. Since change has come to TNT expect a Press Secretary Om wife use 2 wuk wit Bas so u may just see she re-appear
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »
The People's Cabinet

by Tony Fraser
Port of Spain

The new cabinet gets down to business
Intent on implementing her post-election boast of an end to the prefixes of "Afro and Indo Trinis", Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has formulated a cabinet which could stand scrutiny in this plural society.
Notwithstanding the fact that the two major parties in the coalition accounted for above 60% of the seats in parliament, Mrs Persad-Bissessar allocated 13 ministries to persons of Indian descent, 10 to those of African origin and two ministries to members of European ancestry.

The two were assigned crucial positions in the cabinet, one, the elected Stephen Cadiz, who was given a "safe seat" in an Indian constituency and Mary King, an Irish-born Trinidadian who is married to a Trinidadian and has been living here for decades.

But even more significant is the fact that of the 10 Afro-Trinidadian ministers three have been appointed to the Senate, which means they had not contested the elections.

The ministries allocated to non-Indos are the vital portfolios of national security, justice, works and transport, trade and industry, labour, arts and culture, public utilities, health and tourism.

Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar brought balance to the five-party partnership with one ministry to the Tobago Organisation of the People, and four to the Congress of the People - despite the fact that Mrs Persad-Bissessar's United National Congress (UNC) gained 21 of the 29 seats won by the People's Partnership.

Obviously responding to the large support base given to her by the gender movement, Mrs Persad-Bissessar appointed five female cabinet ministers and four women among the team of junior ministers.

Those are considered encouraging numbers by the gender movement.

Significant among the cabinet appointments is new Attorney General, Anand Ramlogan, at 37-years old, relatively young but with quite an amount of experience and success at the bar.

Heading the finance ministry is the experienced and regionally respected economist, former central bank governor, Winston Dookeran.

In such a position he must certainly be the favourite to act as prime minister in the incumbent's absence.

Mr Warner is the new Works and Transport Minister 

Then the powerful and influential Austin Jack Warner named first on the list of ministers with the vital portfolio of Works and Transport.

Like in the instance of a previous UNC government, Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar has relied on a retired army Brigadier, John Sandy, to take charge of the Ministry of National Security.

The issue of crime

Interestingly there is now a three-ministry attack on the number one issue of crime.

In addition to national security there is now a Ministry of Justice, led by the controversial former high court judge, Herbert Volney, both working in tandem with the Attorney General.

The Government's success or failure will be based on the performance of these ministries to significantly reduce crime and to erode the blossoming criminal enterprise.

It is criminal activity which has placed the country under fear with 3,000 murders during the nine-year reign of the PNM.

With the critical and historical requirement for the diversification of the economy away from its almost total dependence on oil and gas to be achieved, well-known economist, Mary King has been given the job of planning minister.

It is an issue that she has written about for many years; now she will be challenged to "put her money where her mouth has been".

A similar challenge is posed to sports commentator and international swim coach, Anil Roberts, who previously shouted himself hoarse from his perch as talk show host.

Predictably, calypsonian Winston "Gypsy" Peters has been given the responsibility for arts and culture.

Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar has followed the lead of her predecessor and not taken a ministry.

She however has two junior ministers in her office, and that is where she says the information portfolio will rest, having not named a minister of information.

While there is not going to be an extended and fun-filled honeymoon for the Prime Minister and her cabinet, there is much goodwill.

More so that she has sounded the right notes in her first overtures a week into office.

But she has warned her ministers of the "expectations" to be fulfilled after the many disappointments of the last regime.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2010, 10:40:28 AM »

Minister of the People sounds like ah ombudsman if you ask me.  With all this Minister of Information and Press Secretary talk... ah surprise allyuh boy Fuentes name eh get mention yet.  He musse eh want tuh give up he career in FIFA doh... and who could blame him?  Next five years he might be looking fuh ah wuk...whereas in FIFA once yuh in yuh know yuh in fuh life! lol

by Tony Fraser
Port of Spain

The ministries allocated to non-Indos are the vital portfolios of national security, justice, works and transport, trade and industry, labour, arts and culture, public utilities, health and tourism.

What so vital about these ministries?  Fraser even goes so far as to assume that the proposed Minister of Justice would be involved in addressing the crime issue.  Based on what... the "Justice" appellation?  We are yet to find out what this new office's responsibilities will be... smart money is on the notion that they making something up on the fly as we speak.

Criticism aside, I like his analysis of the ethnic, gender and political  diversity in the new administration... and I like that Kamla seems to be going out of her way to ensure that such is represented in her government.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »

Minister of the People sounds like ah ombudsman if you ask me.  With all this Minister of Information and Press Secretary talk... ah surprise allyuh boy Fuentes name eh get mention yet.  He musse eh want tuh give up he career in FIFA doh... and who could blame him?  Next five years he might be looking fuh ah wuk...whereas in FIFA once yuh in yuh know yuh in fuh life! lol

by Tony Fraser
Port of Spain

What so vital about these ministries?  Fraser even goes so far as to assume that the proposed Minister of Justice would be involved in addressing the crime issue.  Based on what... the "Justice" appellation?  We are yet to find out what this new office's responsibilities will be... smart money is on the notion that they making something up on the fly as we speak.

Criticism aside, I like his analysis of the ethnic, gender and political  diversity in the new administration... and I like that Kamla seems to be going out of her way to ensure that such is represented in her government.
That is same feeling I have. It looks like they're creating new bureaucracies to do the same thing. 

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
According to Kamla, the Min of the People is supposed to help co-ordinate complaints and queries from citizens through one Ministry which would then liaise with the relevant Ministries to bring the queries to conclusion.  Its supposed to stop people from having to burn tires in the road.  To me it just sounds like one more step before the inevitable burning of the tires starts...

The problems people have wont be solved by creating this Ministry.  The EXISTING Ministries need to be examined for the root causes as to why citizens' needs aren't being met.  Until that is done, this is just one more layer of bureaucracy.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2010, 07:12:03 PM »
According to Kamla, the Min of the People is supposed to help co-ordinate complaints and queries from citizens through one Ministry which would then liaise with the relevant Ministries to bring the queries to conclusion.  Its supposed to stop people from having to burn tires in the road.  To me it just sounds like one more step before the inevitable burning of the tires starts...

The problems people have wont be solved by creating this Ministry.  The EXISTING Ministries need to be examined for the root causes as to why citizens' needs aren't being met.  Until that is done, this is just one more layer of bureaucracy.....

This is an issue I have been considering for some time.

The burnt tire phenomenon is a response to problems that are mostly dealt with at the local government level. While I accept that other agencies are involved I think if regional corporations were better resourced and managed we would achieve many of the desired outcomes. We often hear constituents say " we neva see he/she" regarding their M.P. I agree that MPs have a responsibility to understand the developments with their constituency and represent the interests of the constituents accordingly. In real terms public utilities and regional corporations are the executing bodies.If we can shorten the time between report, assessment and response we don't need to create another arm of the state to deal with community issues.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »
As I thought... ombudsman.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2010, 03:34:49 PM »

This is an issue I have been considering for some time.

The burnt tire phenomenon is a response to problems that are mostly dealt with at the local government level. While I accept that other agencies are involved I think if regional corporations were better resourced and managed we would achieve many of the desired outcomes. We often hear constituents say " we neva see he/she" regarding their M.P. I agree that MPs have a responsibility to understand the developments with their constituency and represent the interests of the constituents accordingly. In real terms public utilities and regional corporations are the executing bodies.If we can shorten the time between report, assessment and response we don't need to create another arm of the state to deal with community issues.

That will be the day when the central gov't start giving the regional gov't money and limited power to run the respective region. We shall see!!!!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2010, 07:15:07 PM »
After watching news tonight I can confirm that the government is a taking a freestyle approach. Attorney General Anand Ramlogan apart from issues such as Udecott, Church, Abu etc also spoke about property tax and laptops as priorities for the government. I could kinda understand the property tax issue since it involves the repeal of a  law but shouldn't that be done after consideration and advice from the Minister of Finance. How an AG is talking about buying laptops for students is beyond me.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »
How an AG is talking about buying laptops for students is beyond me.
he is stealing Kamla thunder
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>