April 26, 2024, 11:50:59 AM

Author Topic: Kamla Persad-Bissessar Thread.  (Read 204160 times)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Kamla Persad-Bissessar first 100-days.
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »
State guards for Manning
By CLINT CHAN TACK Saturday, May 29 2010

PRIME MINISTER Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday instructed her new Minister of National Security, Brigaidier General John Sandy to provide state security to former Prime Minister Patrick Manning.

Speaking to reporters after yesterday’s swearing-in ceremony of members of her new Cabinet at Knowsley Building, Port-of-Spain, she told reporters Manning did not ask for security, but she was of the view that he needs to be treated with respect because of the Office he once held.

“He should have respect as a leader. More than 200,000 persons voted for him and we should respect that,” Persad-Bissessar said, noting that a vehicle and security would be provided for Manning.

Her comments came a day after Manning faced a rowdy crowd of disenchanted PNM supporters at Balisier House, Port-of-Spain, moments after he tendered his resignation as PNM political leader to the PNM General Council.

As his Prado SUV drove away on that day (Thursday) the rowdy crowd hurled verbal insults at Manning and hit the sides of the vehicle. Police had to be called in.

wow.  I sleep fuh 2 days an all dat happen.

yuh was in a coma ?  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »
I always thought the controversy about the PM's residence was unjustified and yet another attempt to make Manning look bad , not that he needed help. The PM's residence is the PM's residence not anyone's personal property, case closed.

Now Kamla and dem run and make a political football out of the issue and watch she now.  All de brakes she brakesing watch she move in easy easy... it eh have no other official residence.

In addition to the cost, I think what also irked people was that the Prez's house was clearly the building in need of more urgent repairs and/or rebuilding.  So when this palace was constructed in record time but the prez was still living in a cottage behind the main residence it made people go  ??? ???

And well they wait until the roof literally fall down on Max head to run and bawl they goh fix it...by then, one week before the elections, it was too little, too late....just one more misstep that Patos could have avoided....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 11:17:37 PM »
 :o :o :o
WADE MARK IS NOW HOUSE SPEAKER

By INVERA ARJOON Monday, May 31 2010

ON the heels of Friday’s announcement of Cabinet Ministers came the news yesterday that the new Speaker of the House is former senator Wade Mark while Dr Fuad Khan takes up the mantle as Deputy Speaker. Attorney Timothy Hamel-Smith will be the new Senate President and trade unionist David Abdulah will take on the role of Deputy Senate President....
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,121671.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:20:55 PM by Babalawo »

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 11:23:44 PM »
Imbert willing to assist Warner 'any time'
Jensen LaVende jensen.lavende@trinidadexpress.com
Monday, May 31st 2010

FORMER minister of works and transport Colm Imbert is willing to assist, ’within reason’, newly appointed Works Minister Austin Jack Warner should Warner request his help...He said Warner’s proposal to open the Priority Bus Route (PBR), to one-way traffic, for peak periods to alleviate traffic coming into and leaving Port of Spain is a ’knee-jerk reaction’ to the problem.

Imbert added that this would ’completely’ clog the PBR since it was not designed to facilitate all vehicles but gave priority to certain vehicles, adding that ambulances and other emergency vehicles would end up in serious problems because of the proposal.

Imbert said: ’In the past we have opened the PBR and it does not ease the traffic congestion, it seems attractive, but I would advise against it and he (Warner) should seek advise from transportation experts’...
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161684373&weba=NWSNews

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 11:28:21 PM »
Tobago Hindus get land
Elizabeth Williams Tobago Bureau
Monday, May 31st 2010

After years of delays, East Indians in Tobago finally received lands from the State that they can call their own.

The East Indian community were formally given four lots of land, following an agreement between the Tobago House of Assembly, on May 25, just one day after the general election...
Tobago House of Assembly (THA) Minority Leader Ashworth Jack said the election of an East Indian Prime Minister signifies the celebrating and the breaking down of racial barriers.

’It says that regardless of how we feel or what we think, there are more persons who believe that we are better together than we are apart,’Jack said.

THA Chief Secretary Orville London said East Indians arrived, settled and contributed. He noted there is a lot citizens can learn from the East Indian community, and their forefathers. About their resilience, focus, commitment and more importantly self reliance.

’And that same level of resilience, self reliance, commitment and focus that cause them to nurture the kind of environment in which the Kamla Persad-Bissessars of the world could have developed, that those are the qualities we wish to ensure that we retain today,’ London concluded...http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161684367&weba=NWSNews

In additional news socawarriors.net member "Brownsugar" was spotted at the Hindu Society building in Scarborough Esplanade, converting into Hinduism to get a piece of the action  :devil:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »
In additional news socawarriors.net member "Brownsugar" was spotted at the Hindu Society building in Scarborough Esplanade, converting into Hinduism to get a piece of the action  :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ;D ;D

Yuh idle boy....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 08:45:32 AM »
In addition to the cost, I think what also irked people was that the Prez's house was clearly the building in need of more urgent repairs and/or rebuilding.  So when this palace was constructed in record time but the prez was still living in a cottage behind the main residence it made people go  ??? ???

And well they wait until the roof literally fall down on Max head to run and bawl they goh fix it...by then, one week before the elections, it was too little, too late....just one more misstep that Patos could have avoided....

People irked but people not thinking.  The President is a figurehead and his office is but a vestigial nod to the British Monarchy.  How many foreign dignitaries (whom themselves are not figureheads in their respective homelands) does the President receive?  The Prime Minister is the nation's chief diplomat and receives a steady stream of foreign visitors per year... and this facility serves as the State's main banquet and conference facilities.  The President's house is by no means comparable... for all intents and purposes it may as well be one of the Magnificent Seven... a nice historical building of questionable utility.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »

People irked but people not thinking.  The President is a figurehead and his office is but a vestigial nod to the British Monarchy.  How many foreign dignitaries (whom themselves are not figureheads in their respective homelands) does the President receive?  The Prime Minister is the nation's chief diplomat and receives a steady stream of foreign visitors per year... and this facility serves as the State's main banquet and conference facilities.  The President's house is by no means comparable... for all intents and purposes it may as well be one of the Magnificent Seven... a nice historical building of questionable utility.

So we come back to mih original question of some time ago....why the hell we need a President??!!.... ???
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 09:05:31 AM »

So we come back to mih original question of some time ago....why the hell we need a President??!!.... ???

We don't... which is why the proposal for the office of an Executive President makes sense, but it come from Manning so automatically it get met with skepticism and talks of him crowning himself Emperor.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »

We don't... which is why the proposal for the office of an Executive President makes sense, but it come from Manning so automatically it get met with skepticism and talks of him crowning himself Emperor.

I agree with the Exec President....but with lots, and lots and lots of checks and balances....I could be wrong but what Patos was proposing had some troubling elements to it......in any event he/PNM gov't would have needed a 2/3rds constitutional majority to change (or even a 75% majority as I learned this past week) to make the necessary changes.  So I eh know what was so troubling to folks....any legislation wanting to change the powers of the President would have been hard to pass....IMO...
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 09:10:34 AM »

Yuh idle boy....

Is true I in bago and I c she when I pass
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 09:11:47 AM »

Yuh idle boy....

Chups.....all ah all yuh too idle in here.... ;D ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 09:14:18 AM »

Yuh idle boy....

Chups.....all ah all yuh too idle in here.... ;D ;D

Dat is part ah we charm
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »
i feel sara palin could be a good Prime Minister if she follow her road plans and these men around her dont let their ego take over .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 09:46:15 AM »

What were the benefits of having an executive president though?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »

With only a rudimentary understanding of Manning's proposal, the benefits of centralizing leadership in one entity as I see it are:

1. Efficiency- why are tax payers monies being wasted to house, clothe, feed, provide security, salary and employment benefits to a functionary?  Nothing against Sir Ellis, Noor, Ray and Max, but let them serve their country in some other useful capacity.

2. Clarity.  Most executive powers already lie with the Prime Minister... he's our chief executive in everything but name.  I think the need for checks and balances are overblown, because you still have an independent Legislature and Judiciary.  The Legislature makes the laws; the Judiciary interprets them; and the Executive implements them.  I admit that this probably reveals my own personal bias in favor of the American model, but arguably this has been the most scrutinized and tested model... and it works.  The legislative power to impeach has been successfully exercised in the US to remove both sitting Presidents and Justices.  Processes and protocols are in place to ensure that the power isn't abused or used arbitrarily or trivially.  We can do the same.

3.  Accountability.  As they say, of whom much is given much is expected.  The buck will fall squarely in the lap of an Executive President (whose title would simply be "President" btw).  Currently the President has a largely functionary role as I have already harped on... but he also has some very real powers as well, particularly powers of appointment.  He appoints the Chief Justice, Auditor General and Chair of the Public Services Commission.  He is also the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces.  Assuming the Prime Minister and the President are at odds... to whom should the military listen?  Everybody hate Patos... but remember he is an elected official.  Take away the personalities... should such important responsibilities be held by someone whom the people did not vote for?

I could go on enumerating other advantages but there are already snippets of dialogue out there on the internet which I think does a good job of articulating the issues even better than I could.  Some can be found here:

http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/selfnews/viewnews.cgi?newsid1255245024,7734,.shtml
(a personal perspective on the debate by Derren Joseph)

http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/1083 (in the interest of full disclosure I have to say that I am biased where anything concerning Raffique Shah is concerned... that man is a straight genius as far as I concerned.  That said I disagree with his assessment of the American Presidential model as he examines it here... it's not quite as open to abuse as he makes it sound.)

http://www.cubaalamano.net/visiones//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=523&Itemid=1

(a nice synopsis of the major issues with commentary from some major stakeholders... many of whom, ironically enough find themselves in governance now as part of the fallout from last week.  It is disappointing to read some of the 'concerns' raised because they indicate a certain strand of selfishness on the parts of Kamla and Sat Sharma et al... and now that power has shifted hands, it will be interesting to see how the debate similarly shifts... which it must, for the proposal to survive... as most acknowledge it must.)

http://www.ttparliament.org/documents/1124.pdf

Finally, here is the only public indication as to what Constitutional Reform might look like.  The document is 180-something odd pages, but the relevant portions on the proposed executive President can be found beginning on page 3, and it reads fairly simply.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 11:36:02 AM »

With only a rudimentary understanding of Manning's proposal, the benefits of centralizing leadership in one entity as I see it are:

1. Efficiency- why are tax payers monies being wasted to house, clothe, feed, provide security, salary and employment benefits to a functionary?  Nothing against Sir Ellis, Noor, Ray and Max, but let them serve their country in some other useful capacity.

2. Clarity.  Most executive powers already lie with the Prime Minister... he's our chief executive in everything but name.  I think the need for checks and balances are overblown, because you still have an independent Legislature and Judiciary.  The Legislature makes the laws; the Judiciary interprets them; and the Executive implements them.  I admit that this probably reveals my own personal bias in favor of the American model, but arguably this has been the most scrutinized and tested model... and it works.  The legislative power to impeach has been successfully exercised in the US to remove both sitting Presidents and Justices.  Processes and protocols are in place to ensure that the power isn't abused or used arbitrarily or trivially.  We can do the same.

3.  Accountability.  As they say, of whom much is given much is expected.  The buck will fall squarely in the lap of an Executive President (whose title would simply be "President" btw).  Currently the President has a largely functionary role as I have already harped on... but he also has some very real powers as well, particularly powers of appointment.  He appoints the Chief Justice, Auditor General and Chair of the Public Services Commission.  He is also the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces.  Assuming the Prime Minister and the President are at odds... to whom should the military listen?  Everybody hate Patos... but remember he is an elected official.  Take away the personalities... should such important responsibilities be held by someone whom the people did not vote for?

I could go on enumerating other advantages but there are already snippets of dialogue out there on the internet which I think does a good job of articulating the issues even better than I could.  Some can be found here:

http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/selfnews/viewnews.cgi?newsid1255245024,7734,.shtml
(a personal perspective on the debate by Derren Joseph)

http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/1083 (in the interest of full disclosure I have to say that I am biased where anything concerning Raffique Shah is concerned... that man is a straight genius as far as I concerned.  That said I disagree with his assessment of the American Presidential model as he examines it here... it's not quite as open to abuse as he makes it sound.)

http://www.cubaalamano.net/visiones//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=523&Itemid=1

(a nice synopsis of the major issues with commentary from some major stakeholders... many of whom, ironically enough find themselves in governance now as part of the fallout from last week.  It is disappointing to read some of the 'concerns' raised because they indicate a certain strand of selfishness on the parts of Kamla and Sat Sharma et al... and now that power has shifted hands, it will be interesting to see how the debate similarly shifts... which it must, for the proposal to survive... as most acknowledge it must.)

Finally here is the only public indication as to what Constitutional Reform might look like.  The document is 180-something odd pages, but the relevant portions on the proposed executive President can be found beginning on page 3, and it reads fairly simply.

http://www.ttparliament.org/documents/1124.pdf

thanks, i will check out the links later.

in my opinion though, little about an executive presidency in Trinidad was geared at addressing any real gaps or issues existing in the current leadership framework. Even if it does, little was done to enumerate what the real point of such a big shift was.

I don't really buy the argument about efficiency, i have no issues with spending money to sustain a ceremonial head and i don't think it was every really raised as a pressing issue in Trinidad.

As for clarity, for me the office of the president as it is now is that a sovereign head that can be looked to for oversight in issues that need independent and non-partisan decision making like the 17-17-2 and the coup. Not suggesting that the president is not influencable, but i feel more confident in a president above the prime minister than an independent body underneath.

As for accountability, that was my exactly my problem with the executive presidency. It was delivering more power to a prime minister that didnt really need to have more of it the way he was angling. For me, I couldn't separate the process from the personality, to be frank Manning was showing some worrying dictatorial tendencies. The point about the military is a valid one though.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
and they shout down Manning idea of an Executive President? so this present gov't cyar even think about proposing dat now.
TnT doh need a reigning President who doh rule.The Chief Justice could perform his duty in case of an emergency.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2010, 12:13:51 PM »

thanks, i will check out the links later.

in my opinion though, little about an executive presidency in Trinidad was geared at addressing any real gaps or issues existing in the current leadership framework. Even if it does, little was done to enumerate what the real point of such a big shift was.

Actually all that information is out there... Manning and some of the commenters in the links provided outlined exactly what some of those "gaps" are and how they'd be filled by the proposed changes.  Not only were the gaps addressed, but enumeration was provided in detail... but again, was Manning saying it (never mind the original impetus come from Panday and the UNC government) so everybody knickers was in a knot talking about "dictator".  No different from the noise raised about the "palace".

I don't really buy the argument about efficiency, i have no issues with spending money to sustain a ceremonial head and i don't think it was every really raised as a pressing issue in Trinidad.

Your own personal feelings aside... can you articulate for us some of the benefits of this waste of taxpayers money?  I presented my opinion on why the proposed changes were good... I never said these were the reasons raised in Trinidad.  Everybody cry down de $2million dollar flag (to use an example), but how much money the President draws annually?  I know the PM gets $48k, but maybe Brownsugar, Weary or JahGol, who usually up on these things could clarify.  And that is just salary.  Not counting security, food, shelter, employment benefits (health, vision, dental per diem etc.) and not counting pension, which is the equivalent of a monthly salary until they die.  I wouldn't be surprised if that easily costs a million by itself a year.  Everybody always quick to point out how public funds could be diverted to othe critical areas, so I curious to hear how propping up this figurehead can be justified on fiscal or other non-nostalgic grounds.

As for clarity, for me the office of the president as it is now is that a sovereign head that can be looked to for oversight in issues that need independent and non-partisan decision making like the 17-17-2 and the coup. Not suggesting that the president is not influencable, but i feel more confident in a president above the prime minister than an independent body underneath.

Issues such as?  You want what... a high-profile consultant?  "Oversight" can be had from a number of other independent public and private sources, and they don't have to be on the government payroll for that.  The President isn't above the PM, so I'm not sure where that train is going.  In the event of a tie the people could simply go back to the polls to break the tie.  We've had exactly one (successful) coup and one electora tie in our nearly 50 years of independence... it is a gross waste to be spending all this money, say nothing of the non-fiscal problems raised... all in name of keeping a figurehead in office just in case one of these rare occurrences happen again.  Besides, what did Noor do during the coup?  Robbie was PM and it was to him that subsequent credit was given for the speedy return to peace.

As for accountability, that was my exactly my problem with the executive presidency. It was delivering more power to a prime minister that didnt really need to have more of it the way he was angling. For me, I couldn't separate the process from the personality, to be frank Manning was showing some worrying dictatorial tendencies. The point about the military is a valid one though.

...and nothing wrong with that, but it betrays the fact that people were opposing the idea more out of emotion than reason.  Nobody really took the time to look at what was being proposed.  Opposition kept raising talk that things were being done in 'secret' which was a lie.  There has always been public information on what was being proposed.  The debates leading up to the draft were not public, nor is it necessary for it to be public.  The public doesn't have to be involved in the minutae, but once there is a semi-ready product, such as the Working Paper included in the last link I provided above... then that is time for public comment and input.  Nobody really wanted to talk about the real issues... people just drink the opposition Kool-Aid and start fighting it down.  Whatever you think of Manning he's accountable to the people as last week's election showed.  Under the current system, the President isn't... yet he wields all this influence over the Judiciary and Military.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »
and they shout down Manning idea of an Executive President? so this present gov't cyar even think about proposing dat now.
TnT doh need a reigning President who doh rule.The Chief Justice could perform his duty in case of an emergency.

I doh even find this appealing... put his powers and duties in the hands of an elected official... the best candidate for which would be the chief executive as proposed in the person of the Executive President.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »
I hear Kamla make ah speech and say "is we time now!"   Women go make mas.  ;)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »
PM: Victory makes East Indian women feel they've arrived
Kim Boodram
Sunday, May 30th 2010

IN her first public speech as Prime Minister, Kamla Persad-Bissessar on Friday night hailed her victory at the May 24 polls as one that has brought a sense of ’arrival’ to East Indian women in Trinidad and Tobago.

Persad-Bissesar made the statement during a surprise appearance at the Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha (SDMS) Indian Arrival Day dinner at the Centre of Excellence, Macoya

Indian Arrival Day will be celebrated across the country today. Several guests at the dinner said Persad-Bissessar’s general election win was the best gift they could have received on this occasion.

Along with newly-appointed Attorney General, Anand Ramlogan, and a number of newly sworn-in MPs of the People’s Partnership, the country’s first woman PM ’brought down the house’ when she swept into the function around 8 p.m.

The schedule was changed to accommodate brief addresses by Persad-Bissessar and Ramlogan, who also delivered his first address since being appointed AG on Wednesday.

’It was at this same dinner last year that I really launched my campaign,’ Persad-Bissessar said, referring to her address that night, ’Indian Women in Public Life’.

She went on to say that her own victory has helped Indian women around T&T to feel that they have, indeed, arrived and to feel a sense of belonging.

She added that most women also now saw in her achievements a victory for their great-grandmothers, grandmothers and mothers, who toiled under often adversarial conditions to raise their children.

Persad-Bissessar also called on the nation to celebrate its diversity, saying it would be a mistake to think that every is the same.

Head of the SDMS, Sat Maharaj, agreed with Persad-Bissessar and said she has shown the country that Indian women are strong and progressive.

’There are citizens who are of the misguided notion that the Indian woman is a submissive female,’ said Maharaj, who has expressed his support for Persad-Bissesar since her campaign for the leadership of the United National Congress’ (UNC) during the party’s internal elections, which she won on January 24 of this year.

’Mrs. Persad-Bissessar has certainly shown us the substance and strength of Indian women.’

He added that her climb to the Office of the Prime Minister is a justification of the efforts of those men and women who sought to change the culture among Indians of depriving their daughters of an education.

’The culture then was that girls were married off young, there was no education and no academic career,’ Maharaj said.

AG Ramlogan, in a quick acknowledgement, said he intends to uphold the same the level of justice and equality that he fought for his years as an attorney.

Also giving a shortened address was history scholar, Dr, Dennison Moore, who disputed several key points of what is accepted as the history of Indians the Caribbean and in T&T.

Among them, Moore claimed that the actual date of arrival in T&T is May 3 and not May 30 and the ocean vessel most famed among East Indian descendents today, the Fath al Razack, may not have been the ship described by scholars at the time.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161683525&weba=NWSNews
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:26:05 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 03:40:55 PM »
sat maharaj oui...

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
The taken out of context quote of the day.

"There is absolutely no plan." - Kamla Persad-Bissessar

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,121769.html

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
I always thought the controversy about the PM's residence was unjustified and yet another attempt to make Manning look bad , not that he needed help. The PM's residence is the PM's residence not anyone's personal property, case closed.

Now Kamla and dem run and make a political football out of the issue and watch she now.  All de brakes she brakesing watch she move in easy easy... it eh have no other official residence.

No no no....All before PM stood for Patrick Manning.

Now it stands for Prime Minister.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 02:44:07 PM »

Published: 2 Jun 2010

New Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says her Government’s 120-day plan is on stream and will be successfully implemented as promised. She indicated that during a news briefing at her St Clair office yesterday following a Cabinet orientation for her new ministers. She said a lot of time was spent in the three-hour exercise, determining how to implement the action plan. She described the exercise as “getting a fit in terms of our promises within the structure of governance.” She said several Permanent Secretaries who attend the meeting spoke about the roles and responsibilities of Government Ministers. She said it was “quite a productive morning” and assured “we will keep the pledges we made for the 120-day plan.” She said that was the most important issue that came out of the meeting.

Persad-Bissessar said she would meet with National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy to convene a meeting of the National Security Council to discuss the nation’s crime problem. She said the configuration of the Ministry of the People is taking place. “It involves a lot of social development and that is why Social Development has been placed side-by-side with the Ministry of the People,” she added. She said the Ministry of the People “was more than the functions of the Ministry of Social Development.”

On the election of a Speaker of the House of Representatives, Persad-Bissessar said that individual would be chosen at the opening of the new Parliament. “You will see at that time who is elected by the members of the House, likewise Members of the Senate will elect the President of the Senate and the Vice President.” She said she did not want to be premature and pre-empt that process. She said Cabinet would meet on Friday. Meanwhile, new Minister of Public Administration Rudrawatee Nan Ramgoolam said she intended to meet with all staff to determine the way forward.

“So the first thing (priority) is building relationships. I think that is extremely important , how do we work with people,” she added. She said once that was accomplished 75 per cent of the work was done. Asked what she wanted to be a major success story as minister, she said: “Delivery of the goods and services to the end-user in this society and therefore my focus will be on implementation of Government’s decisions so that you and me and all the others can benefit from it.”

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 10:17:21 PM »
I now talk to meh peeps in T&T is rel bacchanal thing.

-I hear Kamla want to get rid of GATE and just do the $1 for $1 in some form. They was debating to see if they could make the people who already benefit from the GATE to pay it back
-I hear she wants to stop the school feeding programme saying the students does only waste the food. They want to charge $6 everytime the students want to eat ah food.
-I hear she want to get rid of OJT saying it only wasting time and don't help anyone.

In the lead up to the election id real cash pass from the UNC.
-It have ah gyul who use to work in the court in Princes Town. The gyul link up with Jack during the elction campaign. Now the UNC win and she quit she job, driving bigger car and moving in to a new office somewhere in the North.

- Meh boy who sing that chutney song, "why yuh leave" get big car and rel flashing.
- One in meh sistren who was campaigning for the PNM and rel support for the candidate get ah $50,000 to switch party and convince the PNM supporters to do the same.
- Another PNM supporter who went to school with me and does work with the PNM youth in that area get ah $10,000 to switch.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 10:30:41 PM »

-I hear Kamla want to get rid of GATE and just do the $1 for $1 in some form. They was debating to see if they could make the people who already benefit from the GATE to pay it back
-I hear she wants to stop the school feeding programme saying the students does only waste the food. They want to charge $6 everytime the students want to eat ah food.
-I hear she want to get rid of OJT saying it only wasting time and don't help anyone.

-It have ah gyul who use to work in the court in Princes Town. The gyul link up with Jack during the elction campaign. Now the UNC win and she quit she job, driving bigger car and moving in to a new office somewhere in the North.

- Meh boy who sing that chutney song, "why yuh leave" get big car and rel flashing.
- One in meh sistren who was campaigning for the PNM and rel support for the candidate get ah $50,000 to switch party and convince the PNM supporters to do the same.
- Another PNM supporter who went to school with me and does work with the PNM youth in that area get ah $10,000 to switch.
A lot of that is rum talk spitting around.

I must say though I have heard from 3 students who claimed they received information from their institutions that GATE will shift  to a 60/40 arrangement where the student pays 40% of the tuition.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2010, 10:52:12 PM »

I must say though I have heard from 3 students who claimed they received information from their institutions that GATE will shift  to a 60/40 arrangement where the student pays 40% of the tuition.

Everybody just need 2 take a chill pill and wait 4 Dooks 2 bore we 2 death wit he budget presentation. Then we go hear if d gate get close or it go be half open or remain as wide open as it is now.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 11:03:39 PM »

Everybody just need 2 take a chill pill and wait 4 Dooks 2 bore we 2 death wit he budget presentation. Then we go hear if d gate get close or it go be half open or remain as wide open as it is now.
yuh right

1]; } ?>