April 25, 2024, 10:30:55 PM

Author Topic: Kamla Persad-Bissessar Thread.  (Read 204071 times)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Kamla Persad-Bissessar first 100-days.
« Reply #960 on: March 30, 2014, 06:10:57 AM »
Exactly and by now we know the mo of the UNC and its cronies. We spinning in mud if we think PNM could make any sort of progress. I am done being the diplomat in this equation. It's time to fight fire with fire. Manning was too much of a diplomat. That whole party tries to be too diplomatic and please everyone. Life doesn't work that way. Time to fix house.

Rowley has been called many things but never a diplomat. That is when d election bell is sound this time I eh steupsing I just voting 2 make sure the candidate get back his deposit.
Any hope that Rowley going and significantly reduce corruption (or are we okay when is our tribe doin the tiefin)? Will it just be a hopeless witch-hunt in the end? Is the reason the crime situation never really get solved - a large part of the original PP campaign esp when Jack was in position to talk - b/c the people in charge now jus move in to gettin they cut in the racket?
Seems like we have a certain propensity to 'accept' a lot of BS. For me the water situation being a good example - how could a tropical island with >15cm monthly average rainfall accept 'water comin' 2 times a week for the MAJORITY of the population? Who are the thinkers to solve our problems? I just get the feelin like we 'stuck' for so long. But supposedly we doin okay? people seem happy. I'd like to hear how people frame the whole governance and progress issue today. Any pointers to good writers (not always pessimistic like Fazeer) to help me tune in?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 30, 2014, 08:58:50 AM »
Exactly and by now we know the mo of the UNC and its cronies. We spinning in mud if we think PNM could make any sort of progress. I am done being the diplomat in this equation. It's time to fight fire with fire. Manning was too much of a diplomat. That whole party tries to be too diplomatic and please everyone. Life doesn't work that way. Time to fix house.

Rowley has been called many things but never a diplomat. That is when d election bell is sound this time I eh steupsing I just voting 2 make sure the candidate get back his deposit.
Any hope that Rowley going and significantly reduce corruption (or are we okay when is our tribe doin the tiefin)? Will it just be a hopeless witch-hunt in the end? Is the reason the crime situation never really get solved - a large part of the original PP campaign esp when Jack was in position to talk - b/c the people in charge now jus move in to gettin they cut in the racket?
Seems like we have a certain propensity to 'accept' a lot of BS. For me the water situation being a good example - how could a tropical island with >15cm monthly average rainfall accept 'water comin' 2 times a week for the MAJORITY of the population? Who are the thinkers to solve our problems? I just get the feelin like we 'stuck' for so long. But supposedly we doin okay? people seem happy. I'd like to hear how people frame the whole governance and progress issue today. Any pointers to good writers (not always pessimistic like Fazeer) to help me tune in?

Corruption is wrong wherever d source. Having worked in the Public Sector 2 long when these jokers are in power nutten gets done because they 2 busy tiefin and findin wuk 4 their friends. Imagine school social workers were home 4 2yrs while Tim look 4 his own 2 fill the position. Now tings gone haywire and after bein interview bout 3 times in 2 years 4 a wuk yuh was doin 4 years u gettin bck yuh job. I said a zillion times me eh like d PNM but d PP makin meh luv them. D worse day in the PNM eh as part as the best day of the PP. Corruption like it in Trinis DNA so me eh expect it 2 done when Rowley take d reins but at least the average Joe who eh benefiting from d big contracts could have get a lil wuk after we get a legitimate certificate. But d PP only care bout their own is salt 4 d rest of us.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »
At best PNM going and crawl over the finish line.

Dat eh nutten new. 

And is part of the reason why under a PNM government it is hard to get anything going especially in Parliament because the PNM usually have to rely on the UNC to pass legislation that requires more than a simple majority and de UNC routinely does not vote with PNM.  Is just oppose for opposing sake and as we see clearly now, they have no plans of their own when in government......

Here how d UNC ridiculous the Police Reform legislation was there legislation by time it was ready 2 pass they were in opposition. U tink they vote 4 d Bill of course not because their role is to oppose. This includes opposing legislation you proposed initially.

Caribbean Court of Justice is a next one.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 31, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »
At best PNM going and crawl over the finish line.

Dat eh nutten new. 

And is part of the reason why under a PNM government it is hard to get anything going especially in Parliament because the PNM usually have to rely on the UNC to pass legislation that requires more than a simple majority and de UNC routinely does not vote with PNM.  Is just oppose for opposing sake and as we see clearly now, they have no plans of their own when in government......

Here how d UNC ridiculous the Police Reform legislation was there legislation by time it was ready 2 pass they were in opposition. U tink they vote 4 d Bill of course not because their role is to oppose. This includes opposing legislation you proposed initially.

Caribbean Court of Justice is a next one.....

Yea boi 4get that 1
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Kamla Persad-Bissessar Thread.
« Reply #964 on: September 16, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »
Kamla in Misstep
Chief State Solicitor denies writing letter: ‘I am very troubled by the language’

By \\\\\ Ria Taitt Political Editor
Story Created: Sep 15, 2014 at 10:29 PM ECT
Story Updated: Sep 16, 2014 at 8:30 AM ECT
Oops!

“And inadvertent error” from the Office of the Prime Minister.

In the face of a strong dissociation of Chief State Solicitor Christophe Grant from the contents of a letter attributed to him by the Office of the Prime Minister, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday took responsibility for the mix-up and retracted the original release put out by her office.

The letter, which was responding to Dr Wayne Kublalsingh’s threat of a hunger strike, quoted Grant as stating if Kublalsingh wanted to commence another hunger strike, he would be doing so at his own peril.

Grant told i95FM yesterday: “I had no knowledge of that letter until I read its contents (in the newspapers) to my surprise this morning. I, like you am very troubled by the language. Half of the letter is tinged with politics. And I am saying I have no part in that. I am more professional than that.”

Several hours later, the Prime Minister issued a release stating:

“The Office of the Prime Minister wishes to correct an inadvertent error in the press release issued on Sunday, September 14, 2014 which stated that the Chief State Solicitor had responded to the letter sent by Highway Re-Route Movement Leader, Dr Wayne Kublalsingh, dated 3 September, 2014.

“The letter was in fact sent by the instructing attorney from the Office of the Chief State Solicitor, who was assigned to the pending Constitutional Motion filed by Dr Kublalsingh and other members of the Highway Re-Route Movement,” the release stated.

The original statement from the Prime Minister’s office said the Chief State Solicitor told Kublalsingh that his proposed “action would lead to consequences and risks, which are unknown. However you do so at your own peril.... The State is prepared to abide by the law in this matter and will not be persuaded by the actions of a man who seeks sympathy and empathy from the population in support of the cause. It would lead only to anarchy and tyranny and compromise the rule of law and the democracy which we are a people have grown to enjoy and protect”.

Grant said: “I wish to dissociate myself. I am not the author. I did not pen that letter.”

He added: “I normally don’t talk to the press, I treat these things very professionally. But this is a matter I think of life and death, a man’s life or death.

“I have a lot of respect for people’s lives and I don’t want to be advocating in my children’s thoughts as the one telling the man on the ledge, ‘Go ahead, jump off’.

“I am not the author, I had no sight of the letter. I did not pen any of the thoughts, words or expressions in that letter,” he said.

Grant said he went into his office and saw that there was such a letter from the Chief State Solicitor, but it was signed by one of his junior attorneys who has conduct of the matter.

He said he presumed it was dictated by the advocates in the matter and the instructing attorney was therefore instructed to sign the letter.

In the Prime Minister’s release on Saturday, it was stated Kublalsingh had written to the Prime Minister on September 3 asking that the highway construction be stopped. The release said the Prime Minister “passed the letter to the Attorney General for a response”.

In the Prime Minister release yesterday, she said: “It would not have been prudent for the Office of the Prime Minister to respond to Dr Kublalsingh’s letter whilst the matter is before the courts and hence his letter was forwarded to the State’s legal team so that the issues raised can be appropriately addressed.”

The Prime Minister released a copy of the letter which was signed by Petal Alexander, the attorney in the Office of the Chief State Solicitor who signed for the Chief State Solicitor.
Previous Article
Charles: We’ll take our plight to the UN

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:49:23 AM by Flex »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kamla in Misstep
« Reply #965 on: September 17, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »
Dog bites Man no news here.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 17, 2014, 10:55:21 AM »
Dog bites Man no news here.

True...if not for missteps she wouldn't be stepping at all...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 17, 2014, 05:22:43 PM »

Dumas is saying that some will perceive Grant as a PNM or anti-govt because he exposed the govt error publicly instead of privately

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 17, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »

Dumas is saying that some will perceive Grant as a PNM or anti-govt because he exposed the govt error publicly instead of privately

Dumas chat real nonsense. D AG he was suppose 2 report it 2. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 18, 2014, 03:05:04 AM »

That's correct. Some will arrive at that conclusion ... likely individuals bearing a political axe themselves. Relying on a political lens will inform a political analysis, but arriving at such a conclusion ignores the integrity of Grant's stance.

The article was placed in the public domain and his response (protective of his professional integrity) sustains a matching response in the public domain.

He did so compelled by the publication, not as a gratuitous cheap shot at the government of the day.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:12:33 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 18, 2014, 03:17:46 AM »
Grant told i95FM yesterday: “I had no knowledge of that letter until I read its contents (in the newspapers) to my surprise this morning. I, like you am very troubled by the language. Half of the letter is tinged with politics. And I am saying I have no part in that. I am more professional than that.

Grant said he went into his office and saw that there was such a letter from the Chief State Solicitor, but it was signed by one of his junior attorneys who has conduct of the matter.

Ergo ...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 18, 2014, 08:13:39 AM »
Christophe Grant is God raise the dead so an easy target. People know his as Singing Sandra calypso writer and eh even know he is the Chief State Solicitor. He was an easy target.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 18, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »
I am wondering what part the AG played in writing of that letter because the junior lawyer could not just decide to write and sign that .

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 19, 2014, 08:06:32 AM »
I am wondering what part the AG played in writing of that letter because the junior lawyer could not just decide to write and sign that .

Move 2 d head of the class

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 19, 2014, 08:30:25 AM »

Like the last time when the then Solicitor General had letters appearing telling the PM she was satisfied and no need for investigation?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: September 19, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »

Like the last time when the then Solicitor General had letters appearing telling the PM she was satisfied and no need for investigation?

:beermug:

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 19, 2014, 10:06:07 AM »
Misstep- outta step outta time- back step sidestepping - falling from step - StepDown

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 19, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »
AB  I was advised that person could be drunk .

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 05, 2014, 06:14:56 PM »
Didn't really want or intend for this post to be moved to the Gays thread.
This is where I originally intended to make this post but was a bit too lazy to find the thread.

How come our T&T PM didn't think similarly about the need for a referendum before forcing thru the Run-off Elections amendment that is designed to help keep her government in office?
I sense clear double-standards here! :thumbsdown:

At least she is smart enough to realize that attempting to change that law without consulting the T&T public first can lead to her party losing the next elections.

PM: Gay rights not legally possible
Published: Friday, September 26, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

This country is nowhere near ready to establish a referendum dealing with the decriminalisation of homosexuality and gay rights as it is not legally possible says Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar. She made the remarks while fielding questions from members of the local media after delivering yesterday’s feature address at the T&T Investment Conference in Manhattan. “At this moment it is not legally possible. “The draft gender policy came to the Cabinet, discussed at length and given the very divided voices of Trinidad and Tobago. It will not be prudent for Government to proceed in that direction... it’s too divided. There is no consensus on that issue,” Persad-Bissessar said.

Pressed whether decriminalisation was being considered, she maintained it would be unwise for Government to go in that direction. The PM also spoke on the topic while having the one-on-one conversation with Lakshmi Singh, an anchor for National Public Radio, based in Washington. Describing the issue as “very touchy and sensitive,” the Prime Minister said the policy was produced before the People’s Partnership came into office in 2010 and it had “never seen the light of day. “This was because the previous government faced many persons who were against issues for decriminalising gays and our present government picked it up, dusted it off and put it for discussions again,” Persad-Bissessar said.

She said tremendous opposition was faced, especially from the Roman Catholic Church, but the issue of gay rights, the PM said, was not really for the Government to decide. “I think that is an issue that is not really for the Government to decide at this time in our country. It is an issue that the people must decide and therefore one that may require as a referendum to get the views of the people... personal views are not good enough. “But at this time we are very divided in Trinidad and Tobago,” Persad-Bissessar added. She urged that people should not be discriminated based on their sexual orientation.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 06:23:11 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 06, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »

;D ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yuK4uckbhYA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yuK4uckbhYA</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Probe them all.
« Reply #981 on: February 03, 2015, 09:04:42 AM »
PROBE THEM ALL
By Andre Bagoo
Tuesday, February 3 2015

AS SHE announced the departures of Attorney General Anand Ramlogan and Minister of National Security Gary Griffith over matters relating to the issue, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar last night called for a far-reaching, independent probe into the circumstances surrounding the appointment of director of the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) David West by President Anthony Carmona last year, warning, “let the chips fall where they may.”

The Prime Minister criticised the apparent failure of Griffith to inform her of his role in the matter as well as reports he may have received in the matter, and said she had asked both men to resign to avoid their offices – both charged with administering law and order – from being further embroiled in controversy.

The Prime Minister further noted the PCA is an independent institution and is supposed to be apolitical. She questioned the failure of West and Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley to disclose to herself and the President allegations now made against Ramlogan, and the fact that West was a defence witness in a defamation lawsuit filed against Rowley by Ramlogan. The Prime Minister said the non-disclosure in the matter raised the spectre of a possible attempt to hoodwink the President and herself.

“There are more questions than answers as to whether there was any deliberate attempt to hoodwink His Excellency and the Prime Minister in making the appointment by such non-disclosure,” the Prime Minister said in a highly-anticipated statement on the matter. “I urge that an independent probe be conducted into these circumstances involving the Attorney General, the Minister of National Security, the head of the Police Complaints Authority and the Opposition Leader. And so let the chips fall where they may.” She called for West’s immediate resignation or removal by the President.

Section 6 of the PCA Act states, “(1) The Authority shall comprise a Director and a Deputy Director to be appointed by the President on the joint advice of the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.” Rowley last week confirmed that all three post-holders agreed to West’s appointment. Persad-Bissessar on Friday, speaking with reporters during the Parliament tea-break, said she did not have remit over the post of PCA director West.

Section 12 of the PCA Act states it is for the President to revoke an appointment. That section reads, “12. The President, acting in his discretion, may revoke the appointment of a person as Director or Deputy Director where he is satisfied that the person — (a) has, without reasonable excuse, failed to carry out his prescribed duties for a continuous period of three months; (b) is unable to discharge the functions of his office, whether arising from infirmity of mind or body or any other cause, or for misbehaviour; or (c) has become a person who would be disqualified for appointment pursuant to section 8.”

Disqualification for the post includes being a member of any House of Parliament, being a police officer, bankrupt or convicted of a criminal matter.

The Prime Minister’s statement came after a series of convoluted political developments in the wake of the publication of a newspaper article. The article implied that Ramlogan had attempted to induce West, an attorney, to withdraw a statement in defence of Rowley in defamation proceedings brought by Ramlogan, in exchange for accepting the post of director of the Police Complaints Authority, a job which draws a salary of $38,540 per month, excluding perks. West was sworn in as PCA director last November, one month before his statement was filed in court by attorneys who act for Rowley.

Acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams last Thursday announced the start of a police investigation into, “an allegation of an attempt to pervert the course of justice” against Ramlogan, after West walked into Police Administration Building, Edward Street, Port-of-Spain, and submitted a signed statement. The investigation is led by Acting Deputy Commissioner of Police Harold Phillip, who is also an attorney and previously served in the Fraud Squad and the Criminal Investigation Department.

However, another question in the affair arose over the involvement of National Security Minister Gary Griffith on the issue. Last Thursday, the Prime Minister revealed the matter related to the conduct of not just Ramlogan but another minister, now understood to be Griffith.

As the Prime Minister announced that she had asked Ramlogan and Griffith to resign over their handling of the matter, she further took the opportunity to disclose wider Cabinet changes. But in her statement, she focused on the two Cabinet office holders whose posts she said had become embroiled over the last few days.

The Prime Minister said while Griffith had apparently confirmed phoning West on the matter last year, Griffith never reported the matter to her, nor did he consult with her. Furthermore, she said, Griffith never reported the alleged interference by Ramlogan to her.

Persad-Bissessar said, “The situation today would have been very different had such a request not been made and this matter been brought to my earlier attention.”

The Prime Minister said she asked for reports from both Ramlogan and Griffith on the matter and while they conflicted, what was clear was the need for the offices responsible for the administration of law, to be protected.

“While I am not in a position to determine neither guilt nor innocence in this matter, it is of grave enough consequence to warrant serious consideration and immediate action,” Persad-Bissessar said. “I cannot and will not sit idly by while the Office of the Attorney General and that of the Minister of National Security and the head of the Police Complaints Authority are being compromised and brought into disrepute by such allegations that have warranted a police enquiry.”

At the same time, the Prime Minister expressed equally grave concern over whether West’s position was tenable and called for his resignation or removal. She said his position as police watchdog raised a conflict or perceived conflict given the fact of a police probe in relation to him was ongoing. Persad-Bissessar further said West’s position had been compromised by his delay in reporting the alleged approach of Ramlogan, done almost three months after it was allegedly made.

“The question must arise as to why he did not make it known to me or to His Excellency President Anthony Carmona when the position of heading the PCA was offered to him in November,” the Prime Minister said. “Further, why did he wait until now to make public this matter?” But also, Persad-Bissessar was equally concerned by the role of Rowley, the person on whose behalf West is testifying.

“If the Opposition Leader also knew of the issue at the time when he was consulted about the appointment by myself -we had discussions- and the President, it would also have been obligatory upon him to have informed His Excellency,” the Prime Minister said. “Failure by the Opposition Leader to do so at the time does create doubt to any independent observer as to why no mention was made at the time of appointment and why was there such a delay between November and when the appointment and now in making known the matter.”

The Prime Minister continued, “Given the political sensitivity and nature of the alleged incidents it would have been not just prudent but mandatory that both myself and His Excellency, the President be informed. Withholding such information has seriously compromised the appointment of the Director of the PCA.” The Prime Minister noted that the PCA is an independent institution.

“The head of the Police Complaints Authority has the responsibility to investigate complaints against police officers. He would find himself doing so now while he himself has filed a matter for investigation to the Commissioner of Police,” Persad-Bissessar said. “The threat of conflict of interest or perception thereof clearly emerges and compromises the role of the head of the PCA.”

Of Rowley, Persad-Bissessar said, “Further, questions also arise on the role of the Opposition Leader in the matter. Did the Opposition Leader not have a moral if not legal obligation to inform me as Prime Minister and His Excellency the President about the personal involvement of a witness in a defamatory statement involving himself, the Leader of the Opposition?

“One has to be mindful that public office is not used for private gain. Had there been a disclosure by the Opposition Leader of the personal interest in a legal matter involving himself and the Director of the PCA at the point of his nomination to be head of the PCA, the conflict of interest would have been declared.”

The Prime Minister had initially been scheduled to make yesterday’s statement at 4 pm at the Office of the Prime Minister, St Clair, according to a notice sent out from the Office of the Prime Minister on Saturday afternoon. But by 12.43 pm, officials said the statement had been pushed back to 7.30 pm and the new venue was the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s.

Hours before the Prime Minister was due to make her statement on the Attorney General, another situation mushroomed. Communications Minister Vasant Bharath issued a media release condemning Griffith for supposedly claiming Cabinet last Thursday had attempted to pressure him.

On Sunday evening, Griffith issued a trenchant reply: he spoke with newspaper reporters and issued comments live to television news broadcasters accusing the Communications Minister of acting too hastily. In reply that evening, Bharath stuck by the statement, re-issuing it with only a slight correction in relation to a date but no other changes. Yesterday morning, Griffith fired yet another volley at Bharath. In a media statement emailed at 10.49 am, Griffith accused Bharath of “either mischief or incompetence”.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Probe them all.
« Reply #982 on: February 03, 2015, 09:15:28 AM »

‘Speech full of red herrings’
By Kim Boodram

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Speech-full-of-red-herrings-290615621.html

A “political bloodbath” and “blood on the floor”.
This was how senior counsel Martin Daly last night described the Cabinet shake-up announced by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, in which she revoked six political appointments, including that of outgoing attorney general Anand Ramlogan and former national security minister Gary Griffith.

The announcement was made during an address to the nation by Persad-Bissessar, which was brought on by a police investigation into claims by Police Complaints Authority director David West that Ramlogan had asked him to withhold a witness statement in the matter of Section 34.
Griffith is named as a volunteer witness in the matter.

Persad-Bissessar also announced her intention to ask President Anthony Carmona to revoke the appointments of Senate president Timothy Hamel-Smith and justice minister Emmanuel George, while Stacey Roopnarine was reassigned from the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure to Ministry of Gender, Youth and Child Development.

Speaking on a post-address TV6 panel that included journalist Sunity Maharaj, Daly said the population should not be taken in by the other announcements but should focus on the matter at hand, which was the conduct of Ramlogan in the Office of the Attorney General.

Persad-Bissessar had also called for the resignation of West or the revocation of his appointment, saying there were too many questions as to why his allegations were not made at the time that the matter was in progress.

Daly said there were reasons West should or should not resign, but that was not the issue at hand and should not be focused on.
He said Persad-Bissessar has conceded that the Government has “tripped over integrity issues” that required her intervention in the public interest and that should be where the focus stays.

The other matter that must be examined is the conversation that took place between Griffith and West, since Persad-Bissessar had shifted her words to say Griffith had spoken to West about a “statement”, as opposed to a “document”, as was previously stated in other discussions on the matter.

Daly said Persad-Bissessar’s choice of delivery was based on “narrow and naked” political purposes.

Maharaj also said the focus should remain on Ramlogan and the “skeletons” he has left in his wake, while, she stated, the PM in her address chose to “skedaddle” over Ramlogan and focus on Griffith and Opposition leader Dr Keith Rowley.

Persad-Bissessar’s speech, said Maharaj, was filled with red herrings and was designed to take focus away from Ramlogan.
The panel was asked whether they were satisfied with the developments in Cabinet, to which Maharaj said there was no matter of satisfaction but rather an indication of instability in the Government at a time of a general election.

She said the faster the country could get to that point and make a choice based on what was being offered, the better for it.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dey forget Kamla
« Reply #983 on: May 27, 2015, 11:03:45 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kamla Persad-Bissessar Thread.
« Reply #984 on: June 02, 2015, 08:28:04 AM »
Letter to the Editor: Blatter, Kamla: so much in common
Trinidad Express

There seems to exist a striking similarity between FIFA and the UNC. Or is it between Sepp Blatter and Kamla Persad-Bissessar?

Under Blatter's watch there have been allegations of corruption for decades. Today, some of his executive officers, past and present, have been indicted, including Jack Warner, a former government minister and one who has acted as Prime Minister of T&T.

Blatter, the teflon king, has accepted no responsibility for the allegedly corrupt actions of his executive officers, much to the amazement of millions of people around the world, and has won another term in office primarily because he has given millions to the greedy football associations of many small Third World countries.

Under Kamla Persad-Bissesssar (teflon queen?) there have been many allegations of mistakes, missteps and malfeasance, some proven, and she has accepted no responsibility and is now seeking another term in office.

Blatter claims that his work is not yet finished. So does Kamla. Will she succeed like Blatter by giving away goodies, notwithstanding the state of the economy, and let the future take care of itself? There is one significant difference. FIFA's resources are almost without limit.

But it is axiomatic that there are greedy people everywhere in the world.

Time will tell and there is not much of that left.

Annette Singh
via e-mail
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:22:16 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 02, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »
All we want from her right now is the election date! Her 5 years of lies, thiefing and mismanagement is up!  :waiting:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 09, 2015, 12:21:42 PM »
Letter to the Editor: No longer smelling like a rose
Trinidad Express

The Prime Minister’s walkout of the Parliament on Friday was not so much in anger at the contribution being made by the Member of Parliament for Chaguanas West but an attempt at damage control, in the presence of international media.

Ms Kamla Persad-Bissessar can no longer set herself apart from the alleged corruption of Jack Warner and, by the prece-­ dent she herself set, should do the decent thing and resign.

Negative press surrounded Mr Warner for many years, yet she happily welcomed him to her “Partnership” and sheltered him for a very long time. She is now claiming “one citizen” is making the country look bad.

You cannot so easily disen­gage yourself from this one, Madam Prime Minister. You have sullied yourself and the People’s Partnership by association.

Joanne Viechweg

via e-mail

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #987 on: June 18, 2015, 02:01:08 AM »
Jack claims ganja find at PM’s home not first: ‘Tell the country who Christian is Kamla’
By Kevon Felmine (Guardian).

Independent Liberal Party leader Jack Warner has given Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar two weeks to reveal to the nation who “Christian” is before he does it himself. He made the challenge to Persad-Bissessar at a cottage meeting at Embacadere, San Fernando, last night as he continued to question the circumstances surrounding marijuana found at her Philippine, San Fernando residence in 2013.

Warner again threatened to expose the PM until the eve of the September 7 general elections, saying that the issue of marijuana being found at her residence was a small issue compared to the other files he plans to release on her. “We have bacchanal until September 6 and it will get bigger and bigger. When I buss the last one, who ain’t dead, badly wounded. Kamla has to be exposed,” Warner said.

He continued, “Kamla, tell this country who is Christian and if you can’t remember, ask the special reserve police officer, his name is Jit Hardeen. He will tell you who is Christian. And Kamla, if in two weeks time you don’t tell us, I will tell you.”

Warner also questioned whether there were other discoveries of marijuana at the PM’s home, as he said former DCP Mervyn Richardson had showed him a picture of the marijuana found in a window sill at her home, but noted that in a release the PM had given another location and amount. He added that former national security minister Gary Griffith also spoke about “two joints” during a radio interview yesterday.

The Chaguanas MP said Persad-Bissessar had violated the sanctity of a prime minister’s home, as there has been no other leader in the Commonwealth where marijuana had been found at their home. He claimed Persad-Bissessar was also the only person who had a five-day weekend, as she has been going home every Friday and returning to Port-of-Spain on Wednesday within recent years. He alleged whenever she could not resume work in Port-of-Spain, she would call Cabinet meetings in San Fernando on Thursdays.

Also commenting on the resignation of former Congress of the People (COP) leader Winston Dookeran, he said it was a little too late. He said the COP had failed because Dookeran gave the party to Legal Affairs Minister Prakash Ramadhar, who was the lawyer of Dole Chadee, a former notorious drug lord.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #988 on: June 18, 2015, 02:02:24 AM »
Griffith: Police dropped the ball.
By Gail Alexander (Guardian)

Head of Special Branch Senior Supt Gary Gould said yesterday the investigator probing the discovery of marijuana at the prime minister’s property in 2013 would deal with whatever issue arose regarding a report on the matter. Gould headed the Special Branch in 2013 when the drugs were found.

He had submitted a report to the acting Police Commissioner on Tuesday—just prior to a news conference on the issue by Independent Liberal Party (ILP) political leader Jack Warner—that five grammes of a plant-like material resembling marijuana was found by a member of the Special Branch in a plastic bag in the male washroom of a gazebo on the western end of the PM’s Phillipine residence on April 19, 2013, around 8.50 am.

Warner has said he was informed by former deputy commissioner of police Mervyn Richardson on April 12, 2013, of the discovery of four ounces of weed on a ledge outside a window of the PM’s house. He said an officer had taken a photo of the find and he urged the media to check the police station and diary on the matter. Contacted yesterday, Gould declined questions, saying: “I’m not in a position to discuss anything on the matter.”

Yesterday, Warner, when asked about the difference in details given by himself and the police report, said: “The police say they discovered material ‘resembling that of marijuana’ in the male toilet of the PM's Phillipine home on April 19. I say that members of the PM’s security detail discovered four ounces of marijuana on the ground outside a window of the PM’s Phillipine home on April 12.

“The PM in her two-paragraph release refers to something ‘found on the common grounds outside of my residence’ etc, and that she was out of the country. Don’t tell me that you don’t see the contradictions here and that this matter is getting messier and messier because of the series of lies that are being offered by the minute.”

Former national security minister Gary Griffith also said someone in the police service “dropped the ball” on the matter since an analysis of the “plant-like substance” should have been done at the time which would have ascertained whether it was an illegal substance. “Or at least it should have been by now,” he added. He maintained it was for the police to comment on the issue.

Griffith said he would have been out of place to try to speak to the police on any matter as that would have usurped the then national security minister’s authority. Warner was national security minister during that period. He said Warner just mentioned the issue to him, probably as hearsay, not for Griffith to have acted on since it would have been the minister who liased with the Prime Minister on such a matter.

On Tuesday, Griffith confirmed he had attempted to speak to Warner to make peace between the ILP and People’s Partnership (PP). Warner, at his earlier media conference, said United National Congress officials and a Congress of the People emissary had been holding talks with him in the last four months to try to restore his relationship with the PP. Warner had claimed this was to make him the “poster boy for the East-West corridor.”

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 18, 2015, 04:39:43 AM »
Griffith: Police dropped the ball.
By Gail Alexander (Guardian)

On Tuesday, Griffith confirmed he had attempted to speak to Warner to make peace between the ILP and People’s Partnership (PP). Warner, at his earlier media conference, said United National Congress officials and a Congress of the People emissary had been holding talks with him in the last four months to try to restore his relationship with the PP. Warner had claimed this was to make him the “poster boy for the East-West corridor.”

So the Alliance of Independents thing...Gary done with that or wha?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>