April 26, 2024, 09:50:49 PM

Author Topic: Interesting Read  (Read 20065 times)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Interesting Read
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:31:36 AM »

Our new AG...take from it what you may.......
http://www.anandramlogan.com/thanks_to_digicell

* FORUM
    * The Medical Justice Board

You are hereAnand's Collection / Thanks to Digicel
Thanks to Digicel

By anand - Posted on 07 April 2007

Could someone explain why Indian men are so scarce in advertisements? In a country where we’re hardly a minority the conspicuous absence is glaring and shocking. Is it that we have no purchasing power and companies can therefore comfortably ignore us with impunity?

This is one of the sorest points with the Indo-Trinidadian community and is often used or misused to buttress perceptions of and discussions on discrimination, alienation and marginalization. I am sick and fed up of hearing people complain about how interracial or mixed couples are always portrayed by reference to a non-Indian man. Women of all races (and yes, quite a lot of good looking Indian ones too boot) are frequently shown as partners or spouses of African, Mixed and White men but it is as if it is criminal offence to show them in a relationship with an Indian man. Small wonder it is used as ammunition and evidence by those who believe in sinister conspiracy theories about this being part of the attempt to assimilate or ‘douglarise’ us.

Indian men are relegated to the mandatory rum and roti advertisements or flour and oil. And of course, the Clico ad about the rural rice farmer ‘who knows where to go for good financial advice.’ The pot-belly, lethargic stereotype from the countryside features a lot but its bad advertising to show young good looking Indian guys in ads. We don’t go to gyms or play any sports and hence don’t look good enough to be associated with any product.

I was thrilled to see Dinesh Ramdhin and Ramnaresh Sarwan featuring in a Digicel advertisement with Chris Gayle on the cover of Air Caribbean’s magaizine. In fact, Digicel’s advertisements have been a breath of fresh air! Digicel seems to have discovered we exist and have broken with tradition by using Indian men in its ads. (Mind you, we are yet to feature in any of the ads with sexy girls whispering sweet nothings into the ears of their boyfriends-that might have been pushing it too far!) No company has given us such prominence in ads before – thank you, Digicel.

Compare Digicel to BMobile. Imagine the world cup advert with our prince, Brian Lara calling friends to play cricket with a youth on the beach does not contain a single Indian in it! I wonder if BMobile would have ever dared to run such an ad with only Indians in it? If it did, I wonder how the non-Indian community would have felt.

Add this to the on-going BMobile soap opera with Margaret trying to use her hunky neighbour’s phone and all the other adverts and you will see that we Indian men are simply not the ‘smartchoice’ when it comes to BMobile! (And no, Spalk does not represent us, he is mixed). To make matter worse, the one Indian artiste BMobile sponsors (Raymond Ramnarine), has done his best to look like Shurwayne Winchester, cane rows and all, because he is in the midst of a grave identity crisis or thinks he would get further with his crossover music if he dilutes his Indianess. Sadly, he’s probably right.

When an Indian guy does feature in an ad, his role is peripheral and subsidiary. Even when it comes to little children, Indian boys are treated in a similar manner-never the centre of attention with the pretty girl.

I challenge readers to conduct their own informal survey. Even with kids, the discrimination is the same – Indian girls yes, Indian boys no or, with a minor subsidiary role. Scotia bank’s advertisement of its sponsorship of West Indies Kiddies cricket barely manages a token reference glimpse of an Indian boy. Could Scotibank have ever constructed this ad with a young Indian boy hitting a six and smashing the glass in the bank only to be comforted by an Indian bank manager? I doubt it.

Only this week, the press published pictures of Nataki Dilchan, a Clerk from the House of Representatives and Joseph Dipnarine, whose daughter was murdered. It reminded many that non-Indian women do in fact choose us as their life-partners. No ethnic group has a monopoly on racially mixed couples. Why not have some balance and reflect our diverse racial groups?

For those without the capacity to walk around in our shoes and see how nasty it feels to be treated as though we have the plague by the advertising industry, I have composed this poem for you to sing:

If yuh mixed, yuh fixed

If yuh Afro, yuh good to go

If yuh Indian, yuh just not Caribbean.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Interesting Read
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 05:07:50 AM »
I remember this article along with an interview he did with Umbala a few years ago. He complained about how few Indo- Trini women in the Miss Universe competitions. I suppose he will work to correct these injustices as AG.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 05:40:48 AM »

what ramlogan is a racist? s

lol. ok take win he racist. look i help u achieve ure goal easy easy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:43:44 AM by sammy »
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:58:43 AM »

Best yuh aks Kamla fuh de Minister of Defence portfolio yes.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 06:56:01 AM »

Best yuh aks Kamla fuh de Minister of Defence portfolio yes.

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:37:38 AM »

My reply to you....

Equitable Governance?

By anand - Posted on 22 November 2009

A sad consequence of the racial-based nature of our politics is the exclusion of the “other” major race from governance. “They” simply have no say in how the nation’s resources are distributed, and do not enjoy any of the influence that comes with high public office. They never seem to “fit the bill” for such appointments which are supposedly made on merit. This glaring absence at the top explains why people identified with political jargon such as “alienated,” “marginalised,” “ostracised” and “tolerated.” Political discrimination in our system carries a racial connotation and perception if the victim is of the “other” tribe.

Hard data to substantiate racial imbalances that can justify inferences of discrimination is very difficult to obtain, as racial statistics are not really kept. Richard Thomas has taken the trouble to compile some statistics about the ethnic composition of the upper echelons of state-owned companies, and it paints a frightening picture that shows that things have actually got worse when one compares the relevant data on this issue in the 1980 report prepared by the Centre for Ethnic Studies, UWI. I present this table as evidence of the political discrimination that is retarding the growth and development of our dear country.

Airports Authority: Out of 11, 2 (1 Ramesh Lutchmedial, director; and 2 Rosalind Chinnia-Ramadeen, deputy general manager, (Operations, Crown Point). Caribbean Airlines: Out of 8, 1 (1 Dr Shafeek Sultan-Khan, director). DFL Caribbean: Out of 13, 3 (1 Rodney Prasad, director; 2 Stephen Singh, director; and 3 Gilian Golah, senior manager (Corporate Executive Operations) and company secretary. E-TECK: Out of 12, 2 (1 Nesha Kochhar, vice-President (Property Management); and 2 Henry Kumar, general manager (ICT Project Implementation); maybe a 3rd (Eugene Tiah, director).

FCB: Out of 25, 6 (1 Govind Maharaj, director; 2 Inez B Sinanan, director; 3 Ramcharan Kalicharan, chief executive officer (CMMB); 4 Lionel Seunarine, asst GM (Commercial Banking); 5 Shiva Manraj, financial controller (Finance and Planning); and 6 Harjoon Heeralal, corporate manager (Group Corp Planning) Namdevco: Out of 6, 1 (1 Cintra Persad, director) National Flour Mills: Out of 7, 2 (1 Ganesh Sahadeo, chairman; and 2 Ross Alexander, director). National Gas Company: Out of 16, 4 (1 Lisle Ramyad, director; 2 Winston Lalla, director; 3 Rebecca Ramdhanie, vice-president (Finance and Information Management Group); and 4 Prakash Saith, president (National Energy Corporation)

These statistics provide irrefutable evidence about the exclusion of Indo-Trinis from state corporations. The figures are probably no different in the foreign service, security service and public service in general. The reverse is probably true when the UNC was in power. The pendulum swung from one corner to the next. Can we ever realise that elusive dream of equality and meritocracy? Something for the reformers of our constitution to think about.
By Anand Ramlogan

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »
Anand...do they have Ido owned businesses in T&T? 

I cannot argue about state enterprises, becasue when UNC was in Power Manning called petrotrin petrosingh....T&T boss, is de bess

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 11:06:10 AM »
That a person with such an obvious agenda is now the AG raises some eyebrows... but I'll withold judgment until I see how his ideas manifest themselves in practice.  For instance, many outside of the US know Thurgood Marshall as the first black Supreme Court Justice... and some may even be familiar with his prior civil rights work, such as the famed Brown v. Board of Education decision. 

After all of his agitation for equal rights he also served as Solicitor General under LBJ however, before his appointment to the Supreme Court (incidentally, the same path pursued by Elena Kagan now, his former clerk).  So there is a parallel there, and Marshall worked out okay... giving Anand the benefit of the doubt now, maybe all he really is interested in is equality.

AirMan

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »
Ramlogan: I will learn from others’ mistakes
Gail Alexander
Published: 27 May 2010

Gail Alexander
Incoming Attorney General Anand Ramlogan has said he will stand for justice, equality and fair play and would learn from his predecessors’ mistakes. Ramlogan, 37, also told reporters yesterday he was awaiting the appointments of the Ministers for Justice and Legal Affairs to collaborate efforts to begin trying to deliver better criminal justice for T&T. He said: “The same issues I fought for—justice, equality, fair play—those will remain the same priorities as Attorney General for this new administration.

“I look forward to deepening the personal and professional relationship I enjoyed with the Chief Justice in deepening the administration of justice.” Ramlogan said the People’s Partnership Government would respect and reinforce the independence of the judiciary and there would be no interference. He said the judiciary would be provided with better resources and technology.

He said the Government would have to provide the judiciary with funding for developing that sector. Ramlogan also said it would be a co-ordinated effort, leading to a partnership that would be a “formidable assault on injustice and social inequity.” He added he would learn from his predecessors’ mistakes and would “walk the straight and narrow path and observe the highest ethics and constitutional principles meant to underpin the separation of powers and constitutional arrangements under which we operate our parliamentary system.”
http://guardian.co.tt/news/general/2010/05/27/ramlogan-i-will-learn-others-mistakes

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 11:10:02 AM »
Anand Ramlogan studied law when he was a security guard. He worked and studied hard to become a star lawyer in T&T. Today he is Attorney General. Security Guard to AG. T&T is place like that, you could make it if you try. I respect him but I am alarmed by his ethnic agenda. Head counting is a clear indication of that.

AirMan

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »
Anand Ramlogan studied law when he was a security guard. He worked and studied hard to become a star lawyer in T&T. Today he is Attorney General. Security Guard to AG. T&T is place like that, you could make it if you try. I respect him but I am alarmed by his ethnic agenda. Head counting is a clear indication of that.

what is the ethnc agenda ??..somepeople said Daaga had an ethnic agenda too but could never prove how with facts..not sayng you cant but give us a source..

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »

Jah gol, if u talking about the article i dont see what u alarmed about.. most of what he said in that article i actually agreed with and is actually true.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »

what is the ethnc agenda ??..somepeople said Daaga had an ethnic agenda too but could never prove how with facts..not sayng you cant but give us a source..

The ethnic agenda is obvious... what other source you want, read the articles.  It is cause for concern, but not alarm.... yet.

AirMan

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »

The ethnic agenda is obvious... what other source you want, read the articles.  It is cause for concern, but not alarm.... yet.

yes i read and agreed with what he said below..

These statistics provide irrefutable evidence about the exclusion of Indo-Trinis from state corporations. The figures are probably no different in the foreign service, security service and public service in general. The reverse is probably true when the UNC was in power. The pendulum swung from one corner to the next. Can we ever realise that elusive dream of equality and meritocracy? Something for the reformers of our constitution to think about.
By Anand Ramlogan

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »

Jah gol, if u talking about the article i dont see what u alarmed about.. most of what he said in that article i actually agreed with and is actually true.

I'm not just talking about this article but a particular trend I've seen with Mr. Ramlogan. This article in particular points shows racial statistics at stateboards. http://www.anandramlogan.com/node/445

Why does it even matter ? Shouldn't be about an individuals' competence rather than what they look like. Many of his utterances are rooted in race. It is a major issue for him.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »

Just because you agree with it doesn't mean he doesn't have an agenda... his agenda is clear, he feels that Indo-Trinis need greater visibility and representation in TnT.  In his mind TnT is still seen too much for his tastes as anything but Indo-Trini.  The fact that there were several prominent Trinis of Indian descent in prior administrations isn't enough in his mind, there should be greater representation in the civil service and in the media.

To be honest I don't know what his gripe is with representations in the media, you don't see that many Trinis of largely African descent... but rather a healthy dose of douglas of various shades and ethnic compositions.  Many prominent newscasters were and are of Indian descent (though I recognise this is a separate discussion) if you look at many advertisement for mas bands... yuh eh go find too many 'darkies' in them thing.  Racism/colorism is still an issue... but he making it seem like it's an issue against Indo-Trinis specifically.

Also, with respect to the civil service... just from pure observation over the years I tend to agree that their numbers are depressed... but we need to examine "why" rather than assume racism is at the core.  Many Indo-Trinis for instance, prefer to pursue opportunities in business and academia rather than the civil service... until all factors are considered then emphasis on any one is misplaced.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 11:40:58 AM »
I'm not just talking about this article but a particular trend I've seen with Mr. Ramlogan. This article in particular points shows racial statistics at stateboards. http://www.anandramlogan.com/node/445

Why does it even matter ? Shouldn't be about an individuals' competence rather than what they look like. Many of his utterances are rooted in race. It is a major issue for him.

Jah Gol I think you have the makings of an Editorial on your hands... if you want to collaborate let me know.

AirMan

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 11:43:10 AM »

Just because you agree with it doesn't mean he doesn't have an agenda... his agenda is clear, he feels that Indo-Trinis need greater visibility and representation in TnT.  In his mind TnT is still seen too much for his tastes as anything but Indo-Trini.  The fact that there were several prominent Trinis of Indian descent in prior administrations isn't enough in his mind, there should be greater representation in the civil service and in the media.

To be honest I don't know what his gripe is with representations in the media, you don't see that many Trinis of largely African descent... but rather a healthy dose of douglas of various shades and ethnic compositions.  Many prominent newscasters were and are of Indian descent (though I recognise this is a separate discussion) if you look at many advertisement for mas bands... yuh eh go find too many 'darkies' in them thing.  Racism/colorism is still an issue... but he making it seem like it's an issue against Indo-Trinis specifically.

Also, with respect to the civil service... just from pure observation over the years I tend to agree that their numbers are depressed... but we need to examine "why" rather than assume racism is at the core.  Many Indo-Trinis for instance, prefer to pursue opportunities in business and academia to the civil service... until all factors are considered then emphasis on any one is misplaced.

I never said he did not or did have an agenda and what I believe is based on what I know, and  not assumptions ..I ask Jah Gol what are the facts that made him believe this man have an ethnic angenda..you then later quoted me by telling me to read the articles. Therefore you tellng me what I beieve does not equal fact is useless. From what i read, what he is doing is no different from what most civil right activits did in America and in T&T..and that does not equal ethnic agenda to me..what you said above still does not prove ethnic agenda to me..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:50:19 AM by AirMan »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
I've been trying to remember something he said about 3 - 4 years ago that was real outta timin and generated some discussion on the talk shows.  I remember he called into Tony and Dale's show one morning while they were discussing it to try and clarify his position.  I don't think he did a very good job of it and ever since then Tony does watch him funny....but kill mih dead ah cyar remember what exactly what he said but it was raced based....and yes his writings have made me go  ??? ???  a few times....

We shall see.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »

Also, with respect to the civil service... just from pure observation over the years I tend to agree that their numbers are depressed... but we need to examine "why" rather than assume racism is at the core.  Many Indo-Trinis for instance, prefer to pursue opportunities in business and academia to the civil service... until all factors are considered then emphasis on any one is misplaced.

I never said he did not or did have an agenda and what I believe is based on what I know, and  not assumptions its not fact ..I ask Jah Gol what are the facts that made him believe this man have an ethnic angenda..you then later quoted me by telling me to read the articles. Therefore tellng me what I beieve does not equal fact is useless. From what  i read, what he is doing is no different from what most civil right activits did in America and in T&T..and that does not equal ethnic agenda to me..what you said above still does not prove ethnic agenda to me..

The mere fact that you can't look at it objectively speaks volumes

AirMan

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »

You can be right, but this seems like a trend of an activst to me ..maybe if we had more activist in T&T instead of "PNM til ah die" ..the current PNM administration would not have felt to "do as I please, because we will get voted again"..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:51:03 AM by AirMan »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.  D problem is dat in his community Anand suffers from neva taught and d fact dat he did A's at Pville instead ah Naps mean he not part of dat circle where he feel 1 ah d boys. D class discrimination is 1 ah Anand problem dat in conjunction wit his racist statements mean buckle up 4 d rough ride.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

AirMan

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
there should have been more activists with the character of Ramlogan demanding their basic needs from the PNM instead of "PNm til ah die" mentality...having the Manning administration doing what they want cause they felt secure they will always get votes from the die hards..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:57:03 AM by AirMan »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
there should have been more activists with the character of Ramlogan demanding their basc needs from the PNM instead of "PNm til ah die" ..mentality...having the Manning administration doing what they want

so what basic needs have been denied? One can only be a civil rights activist one when one's civil rights are being denied.

AirMan

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 11:59:15 AM »
there should have been more activists with the character of Ramlogan demanding their basc needs from the PNM instead of "PNm til ah die" ..mentality...having the Manning administration doing what they want

so what basic needs have been denied? One can only be a civil rights activist one when one's civil rights are being denied.

Fella the Opposition campaigned about the discontent from the ground of the people complaining about roads not being fixed , hospitals in Tobago and Pont fortin being promised but never buit, water problems (you want more or you want links ?)..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:01:32 PM by AirMan »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
I never said he did not or did have an agenda and what I believe is based on what I know, and  not assumptions ..I ask Jah Gol what are the facts that made him believe this man have an ethnic angenda..you then later quoted me by telling me to read the articles. Therefore you tellng me what I beieve does not equal fact is useless. From what i read, what he is doing is no different from what most civil right activits did in America and in T&T..and that does not equal ethnic agenda to me..what you said above still does not prove ethnic agenda to me..

The implication from this statement is clear that the civil rights activists you cite did not have ethnic agendas.  That alone tells me you don't know what the ass yuh talking about.  And btw...

The clear implication from this quote above is that you question the existence of an ethnic agenda.  You also state above that what he's doing "does not equal an ethnic agenda to me".  So play dotish if it makes you happy but stating that he doesn't have an ethnic agenda... then turning around and saying "I never said he did or did not have an agenda" tells me all I need to know where you stand.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 12:06:55 PM »
wow yuh really good at fooling yuhself and obfuscating things.... poor infrastructure and the failure to provide services is NOT a denial of civil rights....

AirMan

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 12:10:29 PM »
The clear implication from this quote above is that you question the existence of an ethnic agenda.  You also state above that what he's doing "does not equal an ethnic agenda to me".  So play dotish if it makes you happy but stating that he doesn't have an ethnic agenda... then turning around and saying "I never said he did or did not have an agenda" tells me all I need to know where you stand.

yes i said based on what i know, based on what he is doing, based on what I read seems more like a civil rights activist to me and does not equal an ethnic agenda..but  never said what I know is fact because there is always a possibilty of something that is not existent or something I do not know..

if it was Daaga saying what Ramlogan is saying then I believe alot of indo Trinis would say Daaga also have an ethnic agenda..there are even some who believe Manning have an ethnic agenda ...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:27:23 PM by AirMan »

AirMan

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
wow yuh really good at fooling yuhself and obfuscating things.... poor infrastructure and the failure to provide services is NOT a denial of civil rights....

I meant activsts...but you are right its not denial of CIVIL rights..however I know you understood my point very well

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 12:17:05 PM »

You are hereAnand's Collection / 'Rubber stamp' discrimination
'Rubber stamp' discrimination

By anand - Posted on 26 July 2009

If you’re waiting for a court judgment that declares that someone was a victim of racial discrimination, before you believe racial discrimination exists, you’re in for a long wait, for no one can prove racial discrimination. All a citizen can show is that he was treated unequally or differently, when compared with other similarly circumstanced people.

The motive and reason for the unfair treatment is not a matter the victim can prove, for this would be known only by the discriminator. This common sense reasoning explains why our constitution does not require an aggrieved citizen to prove why he was treated differently; all he needs to show is that he was treated unequally or unfairly. In the past, the racial imbalance in the public service was probably due to social, cultural and political influences that made it a more attractive career option for non-Indians.

Since the 80s, however, things have changed. Indians are now the single largest ethnic group. It is an educated, large workforce. They are not confined to the South alone, but have migrated to and re-settled in various parts of the island. The children of the cane cutters have been educated and find the public service a good career option. In the face of this new reality, the persistent racial imbalance in the public service and (in particular the hierarchy), demands closer analysis.

Demonstrated bias

Is there a glass ceiling in the public service that prevents Indo-Trini public servants from gaining promotion to the higher levels? Is there an institutional bias against Indo-Trini public servants? Is this bias a conscious, unconscious or subconscious one? Is this all based on race? Or, is it simply political favouritism and discrimination, which translates into a demonstrated bias against Indians, because our politics is one that is based on race?

Are there other forms of discrimination based on gender, locality connections, etc? The cases of Devant Maharaj, Khimraj Bissessar, Ganga-Persad Kissoon, Feroza Ramjohn and Harridath Maharaj all concerned promotion to high public office. The courts declared that they were treated unfairly when they were bypassed in favour of others.

Invariably, they were bypassed in favour of junior officers with less qualifications and experience who were non-Indian. Their long and distinguished careers were restricted by unfair treatment. I have represented many public servants of all races, and know that discrimination is not simply confined to race. It is much wider, and many Afro-Trini public servants are also treated unfairly. The complaints vary, but it is clear that all is not well with the hiring and promotion practices in the public sector.
What are some of the grouses?

1. The promotion interview panels seldom contain Indo-Trinidadian interviewers, and this leads to an unnecessarily (and sometimes unjustified) feeling of discrimination when Indian officers are given lower marks by the interview panel. It is suspected that interviews were used as a sham or device to ensure the promotion of certain favoured officers.

2. Staff reports and the disciplinary process are, sometimes, cleverly used to manipulate the procedure for promotion by suddenly giving adverse markings or inventing bogus disciplinary matters to prejudice and weaken an officer’s claim for promotion at a critical time.

Right questions

Once promotions are made, these adverse markings or disciplinary charges are simply withdrawn.

3. The system for acting appointments is also abused by putting someone to “warm” the seat without confirming them, while the favoured person is given time to qualify for the promotion, or the person appointed to act reaches retirement age.

4. The granting of study leave is carefully controlled to allow favoured officers time off to better their qualifications, while denying applications from others.

This allows some to “pad” their resumes and position themselves to cash in on promotions at the expense of others. It gives them an unfair competitive edge.

The commission is supposed to be independent, but operates in a vacuum or ivory tower, as though it is unaware of the plight of those who complain about discrimination and unfair treatment. It has done nothing to alter the racial composition of the interview panels, for example. It sometimes acts as a “rubber stamp” without asking the right questions, with the result that discrimination occurs frequently. It is often a classic case of an independent body naively “clearing track for a particular ’gouti to run.”

By Anand Ramlogan

1]; } ?>