March 28, 2024, 02:02:56 PM

Author Topic: Much ado about Freddy  (Read 36736 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Timing is everything
« Reply #210 on: May 12, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
That could be his real age. We have a fella on our ODP team that clearly is 15, however last region camp they found out he is even younger than he was saying. He was playing as a 97 in 96 age group, but he is actually 98. The fella is massive and full of muscles.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 12, 2010, 01:32:53 PM »
frankly i don't care.

and i doh believe freddy is only 20 either. probably more like 25 and could get lock up for fraternising with jojo when she was bout 15 a few years ago.

more like him - http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1083689

:devil: :devil:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »
If he had chosen to play for Ghana, I am pretty sure the outcome would have been different.  :-\

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fall from grace - Freddy Adu
« Reply #213 on: May 12, 2010, 02:06:56 PM »
Timing is everything

Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports

American soccer's million-dollar baby saw his World Cup dream extinguished on Tuesday, a full month before the sport's greatest showpiece has even begun.

Based on how Freddy Adu's career has faltered in recent years, it was no shock that he was left off the United States' preliminary World Cup roster, ensuring him a summer spent in front of a television screen instead of packed stadiums in South Africa.

Yet given the outlandish projections made for Adu in 2003 – when, as a 13-year-old, he was handed a million-dollar endorsement deal with Nike and touted as the future of the national team – the decline has been both sad and dramatic.

By now, according to the experts, Adu was supposed to be one of the best players in the world – the first American to become a global star. Instead, he is floundering in the lowly regarded Greek league, and Tuesday's announcement means U.S. head coach Bob Bradley does not even rate him among this country's 30 best players.

Adu's backstory used to resemble the first few chapters of a fairy tale but is now little more than a cautionary tale against overhyping young phenomena. He emigrated to the States from Ghana as an 8-year-old after his mother won the Green Card lottery, and was quickly spotted in the junior ranks in Maryland.

Observers could barely believe their eyes when witnessing such skills in one so young, and the soccer world soon caught on. Giant Italian club Inter Milan offered him a contract as a 10-year-old. US Soccer chiefs positively salivated at the prospect of a future superstar.

In 2004, Adu made U.S. sports history by becoming the top overall pick in the Major League Soccer draft and making his debut for D.C. United at age 14. In hindsight, such acceleration into the senior ranks smacks of madness. Back then, it was seen as merely the first stepping stone on the path to greatness.

Growing up in the spotlight didn't do Adu much good, with the big contract, big expectations and constant scrutiny weighing heavily on his shoulders.

Since 2006, he has resembled a soccer nomad, bouncing from D.C. to Real Salt Lake and then Benfica, the Portuguese club that retains his rights but has now farmed him out on loan to three separate clubs in three years. Some positive performances for the national team in age-restricted events were interspersed, in the Under 20 World Cup in 2007 and the Beijing Olympics (where most players must be 23 or younger) the following year.

The regular spot on the senior team never came, a decision effectively taken out of the hands of Bradley by Adu's failure to lock down regular playing time for his European clubs.

Back when the draw for the World Cup was made in December, Adu still retained some hope of being selected for Bradley's squad.

"I'm gonna say something right now," he wrote on his Twitter account. "I have never wanted to be a part of something as bad as I wanna be in this World Cup. Work and prayer."

This year's World Cup was earmarked as Adu's time to stamp his mark on the world game. From that time years earlier, when Nike hurled cash in his direction and his future looked golden, there was always an eye on 2010.

The 2006 World Cup was seen as too soon. This one, on the African continent of his birth, was perfect.

In the end, it just wasn't to be. The culmination of that plan did not take place in Bafokeng Stadium in Rustenburg, where the United States will meet England on June 12. It was instead in Adu's club apartment in Thessaloniki, with the announcement of a roster that didn't feature his name. Back to the drawing board.

So where did it all go wrong for Adu? Were the hype and expectations too much to handle? Or was he just never destined for stardom?

"It is difficult when young players do not have enough time to develop, when too much is asked too soon," said Hector Cuper, a well-respected Argentinean coach now in charge of Adu's Greek team, Aris. "Extra time allows for a more well-rounded game. He has ability, we can all see that."

Yet if Adu is ever to ascend to the heights he still dreams of, it will be a grind through the ranks and a constant battle to overturn perception of him as a bust. European soccer is a cutthroat world, and there won't be anything easy about it.

"I want to be one of the best players to play this sport one day," Adu said in a recent interview with Sports Illustrated. "I still have the chance to do that, and I want to work hard to get there."

"Getting there" is no longer a given. Recent signs have been reasonable, with some solid performances for Aris taking him to the brink of the 30-man U.S. squad after he was barely in contention months earlier. However, there is still a long and uncertain way to go.

"Freddy is still young and he will tell you there are things along the way he did right and things he did wrong," Bradley said. "Now he has to take all those things to the situation he is in and show he is continuing to grow."

Adu's Twitter account was silent early Tuesday, perhaps a reflection of the bitter disappointment he must have seen coming.

Freddy Adu is 20 years old and he feels like yesterday's man. Maybe his time will still come, but it won't be this summer.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »
Much Adu about nothing... as recently as three years ago Freddy was wining all over de field in Canada at the U-20 World Cup.  People juss fixated on this as though this is some big "Fall from Grace" as Royal have it titled in ah next thread.  Yuh can't "fall" from hype.  And yuh certainly can't hate de man because Nike, the USSF and MLS hype him tuh death in order to sell jerseys and tickets.

Adu's biggest problem is that he's gone to clubs who either had no clue how to use him (Real Salt Lake), were reluctant to use him (Novak thought he was too precocious at DC) or had different ideas on how to use him...within the organization (his European clubs).  "Different ideas" b/c he played for two or three coaches at Benfica ... transferred (or loaned?) to Monaco only to be met by the same fate.  Where is he now Sweden?  Him not making the team has more to do with the lack of playing time than with lack of ability.

Not to make excuses for him, I'm sure he has his own part to play in his situation... but his professional circumstances have been less than ideal to date and it probably points to poor management by both club and agents.  It's unlikely that his international allegiances would have changed his professional circumstances any.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »
Much Adu about nothing... as recently as three years ago Freddy was wining all over de field in Canada at the U-20 World Cup.  People juss fixated on this as though this is some big "Fall from Grace" as Royal have it titled in ah next thread.  Yuh can't "fall" from hype.  And yuh certainly can't hate de man because Nike, the USSF and MLS hype him tuh death in order to sell jerseys and tickets.

Adu's biggest problem is that he's gone to clubs who either had no clue how to use him (Real Salt Lake), were reluctant to use him (Novak thought he was too precocious at DC) or had different ideas on how to use him...within the organization (his European clubs).  "Different ideas" b/c he played for two or three coaches at Benfica ... transferred (or loaned?) to Monaco only to be met by the same fate.  Where is he now Sweden?  Him not making the team has more to do with the lack of playing time than with lack of ability.

Not to make excuses for him, I'm sure he has his own part to play in his situation... but his professional circumstances have been less than ideal to date and it probably points to poor management by both club and agents.  It's unlikely that his international allegiances would have changed his professional circumstances any.

Good analysis Bakes!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 12, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »
Good analysis Bakes!

Every summer as international competition picks up so too does the talk about how far Freddy has fallen... or how he ent playing to potential.  You'd think people would know the story inside out by now.  That said, he needs to make the most of the situation in Greece... if not he might want to pack he bags and come kick ball fuh MLS again.  At least he'll get consistent run here.

giggsy11

« Reply #217 on: May 12, 2010, 03:59:15 PM »
He may have benefitted from moving overseas and gradually learning how to play with players his own age versus playing against grown as men. But who knows why one choice was made over another and if a similar choice would be made today. I also don't think the MLS and American Soccer people did enough to protect him as a youth the same way youths are supported in the other 4 big sports.

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Much ado about Freddy
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2010, 09:14:07 AM »
Adu is very good at what he does. Problem is....he not the best at it, and when he goes to clubs that have seasoned players in these creative, floating, get de ball to him roles, Freddy has to adjust and go outside his comfort zone. All the US youth teams that he has starred on he has had this role which showcases his talents. Not sure he has the physical attributes or the determination to work through this and maybe get better at other, more workmanlike, structured roles, but he sure as hell not walking into any reasonably good club and being given that " messi " role just so. Good luck to him though, I think he is a very good talent and has shown this against very good players and and some seasoned pros in the u-20 world cup.   :beermug:
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2010, 10:13:59 AM »
Like I have always said, Freedy is not a safe enough player for the Senior National team.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2010, 10:56:42 AM »
Bradley should have taken Adu to the cup he will probably be a key guy for the US in 2014 and he would have benfitted from the experience.

It is not like the US is overflowing with attacking midfielders who are good with the ball to feet.

At least one spot on the team is for the youth who can start the next time around.

Beside Adu I not sure who could fill that spot.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
At least one spot on the team is for the youth who can start the next time around.

Beside Adu I not sure who could fill that spot.

Torres.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 14, 2010, 04:46:44 AM »
and i doh believe freddy is only 20 either. probably more like 25 and could get lock up for fraternising with jojo when she was bout 15 a few years ago.

more like him - http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1083689

So then what exactly was Freddy's motivation for faking his age?
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

truetrini

« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2010, 07:17:03 AM »
I hear Freddy eyeing a stint with Joe Public.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »
Chups.....he like the US team and their supporters......all hype and nothing behind it...... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Freddy Adu Clips
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2010, 09:42:08 AM »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »
freddy awho?

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
the Yankee sellout boi who country of birth knockout he U.S.A,WHY WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THAT PUNK

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »
He may have benefitted from moving overseas and gradually learning how to play with players his own age versus playing against grown as men. But who knows why one choice was made over another and if a similar choice would be made today. I also don't think the MLS and American Soccer people did enough to protect him as a youth the same way youths are supported in the other 4 big sports.

Isn't that ironic tho? the hype about Freddy was that he was so far ahead of peeps his age that he was gonna be a wunderkind and was capable of playing with the better players and besides most kids improve by playing against older better players. Regardless of the hype he still is a talented lil player but I'd have to say he has been a victim of poor coaching because it seems his game has not grown and he's been left behind ... he has to step up and work harder.

1]; } ?>