March 28, 2024, 12:16:57 PM

Author Topic: I thought Anand Ramlogan had an Ethnic Agenda?  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
I thought Anand Ramlogan had an Ethnic Agenda?
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »
http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/05/30/strong-judiciary-keeps-govt-check-pg-6

I thought anand had an ethnic agenda, according to some on here who has never spoken or even read the man's accolades.

Among the many memorable moments in my career is the joyous reaction of the Rastafarian community when I got the overturning by the prisons authorities of the practice of cutting their dreadlocks and the refusal to feed them a vegetarian diet.

The court ruled that this violated their right to religious belief; they felt a sense of identity. I still drink free coconut water at several venues because of that victory.

the man help all communities, so really when fellahs come on here and spew their garbage, know what the man did and what he stands for.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I thought Anand Ramlogan had an Ethnic Agenda?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:17:48 PM »
http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/05/30/strong-judiciary-keeps-govt-check-pg-6

I thought anand had an ethnic agenda, according to some on here who has never spoken or even read the man's accolades.

Among the many memorable moments in my career is the joyous reaction of the Rastafarian community when I got the overturning by the prisons authorities of the practice of cutting their dreadlocks and the refusal to feed them a vegetarian diet.

The court ruled that this violated their right to religious belief; they felt a sense of identity. I still drink free coconut water at several venues because of that victory.

the man help all communities, so really when fellahs come on here and spew their garbage, know what the man did and what he stands for.

This proves nothing other than the fact that a lawyer will vigorously advocate for his clients... as he's ethically required to.  Him "helping all communities" in his professional capacity doesn't answer the assertion that he has a personal agenda of pushing the interests of the indian community ahead of others, as some believe.

Now back to your regularly scheduled shit talking...

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »
Let me ask if the devil comes knocking on your door do you think he is going to appear with horns, a tail and a pitchfork? Of course not he's going to come bearing gifts and you're going to invite him inside.

Remember that line from the Usual Supects the greatest trick the devil pulled was convincing the world that he never existed.

And I'm in no way referring to Mr. Ramlogan as a devil but the above average thinker will know that.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »
MEP thanks for clearing up what the little file clerk raise with the hopeful "as SOME believe". your response shows how deep the divisions run after all these generations. insinuations aren't for the "above average" but rather for the like-minded.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:54:07 PM by ribbit »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »
MEP thanks for clearing up what the little file clerk raise with the hopeful "as SOME believe". your response shows how deep the divisions run after all these generations. insinuations aren't for the "above average" but rather for the like-minded.

The only thing "hopeful" is your continued flailing beyond your reach... shouldn't you be busy figuring out what color playdoh to use during recess tomorrow.  Your desperation is obvious to all but yourself apparently, but don't stop though it makes for entertaining browsing.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 02:01:57 AM »

This proves nothing other than the fact that a lawyer will vigorously advocate for his clients... as he's ethically required to.  Him "helping all communities" in his professional capacity doesn't answer the assertion that he has a personal agenda of pushing the interests of the indian community ahead of others, as some believe.

so basically your assuming he is only doing these non-indian cases for money and prestige, hes really an individual who doesnt have trinidad as a whole in his heart, but his ethnic origin supersedes everything, what would you say or not say if this was a pro bono case, would you retract your statement or continue to attack a man you have never spoken to nor read in detail. It was convenient for people on this board to post his articles on equality in the nation when it referred to indo trinis but why not articles like these, maybe bc it doesnt suit their agenda.

you see i dont have an agenda, i call it as i see it, i have no hang ups nor any racial undertones, in fact truetrini said previously in a statement the man is citing the truth and facts, but yet you stay away from any comments regarding his statement, however your quick to jump on my comments to dismiss them.

i enjoy intelligent debate, from intelligent posters, when it gets to a point where individuals are trying to boost their self esteem and get cyber props from people who are also narrow minded to boast their credibility, it makes me wonder if they really have any insight atall, better yet, give me your reasons why you feel anand is pushing an ethnic agenda and how it will negatively affect trinidad?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:27:58 AM »

so basically your assuming he is only doing these non-indian cases for money and prestige, hes really an individual who doesnt have trinidad as a whole in his heart, but his ethnic origin supersedes everything, what would you say or not say if this was a pro bono case, would you retract your statement or continue to attack a man you have never spoken to nor read in detail. It was convenient for people on this board to post his articles on equality in the nation when it referred to indo trinis but why not articles like these, maybe bc it doesnt suit their agenda.

you see i dont have an agenda, i call it as i see it, i have no hang ups nor any racial undertones, in fact truetrini said previously in a statement the man is citing the truth and facts, but yet you stay away from any comments regarding his statement, however your quick to jump on my comments to dismiss them.

i enjoy intelligent debate, from intelligent posters, when it gets to a point where individuals are trying to boost their self esteem and get cyber props from people who are also narrow minded to boast their credibility, it makes me wonder if they really have any insight atall, better yet, give me your reasons why you feel anand is pushing an ethnic agenda and how it will negatively affect trinidad?
I can be forgiven for being wrong about Anand Ramlogan since I base my judgement on a theme I observed about him. This excerpt is the exception rather than the rule. As I said, race is major issue for him and more often than not he advocates that East Indians are a kind of depressed group who do not fully benefit from the state and social sector. This is in my opinion is not true. He literally complained about the portrayal of indo men in ads and the paucity of indo women in beauty pageants. I am skeptical about people like Anand Ramlogan because they view issues through a racial prism.   

Last Divali I heard him give a speech at a temple in central it was directed mainly at young indian men. He spoke about education, alcoholism ,relationships and domestic violence- essentially saying that the boys were  falling behind the girls and the need to step up. It became clear to me what Mr. Ramlogan is , he is an advocate for his community and there's nothing wrong with that. I have a problem with people who are so obviously prejudiced influencing government legislative agenda and policy.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »

The lady doth protest too much.

My biggest flaw is that I assume everyone has some basic grasp of the English language... despite the fact that people like you continue to prove that wrong on a daily basis.  If you bothered to read anything that I said at all in that other thread (and assuming you understand it) you would see that I said on several occasions that I am reserving judgment.  Yet here you are with your hormonal ranting going on about how I "continue to attack" the man.  This is why I can't take you serious fella.  Read my statement above again and you'll see that it neither supports nor contradicts the notion that the man is a closet racist. 

As for whether he litigated this pro bono... I already addressed that.  Most lawyers try cases pro bono not out of the goodness of their hearts but out of 1) obligation (here in the US they are asked... though not required, to do 50 hours per year).  2) For the notoriety that it brings... it helps give them a bigger profile and volunteering their time on one matter will pay for itself in publicity and future clients.  I already mentioned the notoriety... but apparently that one flew right over your head.

Self praise is no recommendation... you have a clear agenda even if you choose to continue denying it.  You feel your mission here is to prove that Anand has no agenda... THAT is your agenda.  I don't know what anything truetrini says has to do with anything.  But judging from your whiney "your quick to jump on my comments to dismiss them" I can tell that you feel victimized again.  What next... yuh going to go cry tuh yuh mammy?  If you feel what you're saying is right then you should embrace the fact that others are challenging them, this way you can prove the merits of what you're saying.  Or you could continue to cry about "yuh only beating up on me... beat up on he too nah".

Ignoring the irrelevant amateur psychoanalysis in the above, I will focus on just the highlighted... and even then, only to say that I've already given my reasons in the other thread as to why there may be merit to the claim that he's pushing an ethnic agenda.  I see no need to repeat the reasons here... and furthermore, the potential negative impact to Trinidad is fairly obvious, including the harm to the reputation of the office he now holds.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »

I can be forgiven for being wrong about Anand Ramlogan since I base my judgement on a theme I observed about him. This excerpt is the exception rather than the rule. As I said, race is major issue for him and more often than not he advocates that East Indians are a kind of depressed group who do not fully benefit from the state and social sector. This is in my opinion is not true. He literally complained about the portrayal of indo men in ads and the paucity of indo women in beauty pageants. I am skeptical about people like Anand Ramlogan because they view issues through a racial prism.   

Last Divali I heard him give a speech at a temple in central it was directed mainly at young indian men. He spoke about education, alcoholism ,relationships and domestic violence- essentially saying that the boys were  falling behind the girls and the need to step up. It became clear to me what Mr. Ramlogan is , he is an advocate for his community and there's nothing wrong with that. I have a problem with people who are so obviously prejudiced influencing government legislative agenda and policy.

[/quote]

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck don't call it a chicken.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
I am appreciative of your concerns, but as pointed out, his audience was a temple congregation, whom are traditionally Indian. Naturally his presentation would have been catered to them.

What is interesting however is that is the first example that showcases a solution instead of simply point out a short caome.

I am more inclined to reserve my judgment till he has a couple of  mths in the office.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:47:51 AM by trinindian »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »
I am appreciative of your concerns, but as pointed out, his audience was a temple congregation, whom are traditionally Indian. Naturally his presentation would have been catered to them.

What is interest however is that is the first example that showcases a solution instead of simply point out a short caome.

I am more inclined to reserve my judgment till he has a couple of  mths in the office.

I agree , which is why I said there was nothing wrong with it.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 11:59:10 AM »

The lady doth protest too much.

My biggest flaw is that I assume everyone has some basic grasp of the English language... despite the fact that people like you continue to prove that wrong on a daily basis.  If you bothered to read anything that I said at all in that other thread (and assuming you understand it) you would see that I said on several occasions that I am reserving judgment.  Yet here you are with your hormonal ranting going on about how I "continue to attack" the man.  This is why I can't take you serious fella.  Read my statement above again and you'll see that it neither supports nor contradicts the notion that the man is a closet racist. 

As for whether he litigated this pro bono... I already addressed that.  Most lawyers try cases pro bono not out of the goodness of their hearts but out of 1) obligation (here in the US they are asked... though not required, to do 50 hours per year).  2) For the notoriety that it brings... it helps give them a bigger profile and volunteering their time on one matter will pay for itself in publicity and future clients.  I already mentioned the notoriety... but apparently that one flew right over your head.

Self praise is no recommendation... you have a clear agenda even if you choose to continue denying it.  You feel your mission here is to prove that Anand has no agenda... THAT is your agenda.  I don't know what anything truetrini says has to do with anything.  But judging from your whiney "your quick to jump on my comments to dismiss them" I can tell that you feel victimized again.  What next... yuh going to go cry tuh yuh mammy?  If you feel what you're saying is right then you should embrace the fact that others are challenging them, this way you can prove the merits of what you're saying.  Or you could continue to cry about "yuh only beating up on me... beat up on he too nah".

Ignoring the irrelevant amateur psychoanalysis in the above, I will focus on just the highlighted... and even then, only to say that I've already given my reasons in the other thread as to why there may be merit to the claim that he's pushing an ethnic agenda.  I see no need to repeat the reasons here... and furthermore, the potential negative impact to Trinidad is fairly obvious, including the harm to the reputation of the office he now holds.

you try to come across as if you have this wait and see attitude but your statements say differently. you have already made your judgement about anand and await anxiously to cast the first stone.

this is not an essay in which you are correcting/editing, no correction is needed especially from  a person who feels he is superior in knowledge but in fact is very convoluted in his assessment, but of course that is done to distract the reader from seeing his true intentions and what he really is trying to say, but of course you would rather come across as a neutral unbiased poster who is a defender of the constitution and people of trinidad and tobago.

a good forum for you to voice your concerns about the current AG would be woodford square or maybe you should write a letter to the editor of the guardian to voice any future concerns you may have.

once again you have sidestepped my questions and havent addressed my comment about truetrini and his statements. well done you have become a man who has great expertise in evasive tactics  :applause:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 12:30:42 PM »
you try to come across as if you have this wait and see attitude but your statements say differently. you have already made your judgement about anand and await anxiously to cast the first stone.

Which statements might those be?  I'm sure you could find quotes which support yuh position that I done make up my mind... right?  Doh worry... I know you's ah bullshit artist from long time so I not holding my breath.

this is not an essay in which you are correcting/editing, no correction is needed especially from  a person who feels he is superior in knowledge but in fact is very convoluted in his assessment,

"correction"?  Where did I 'correct' you?  Me eh have time tuh hold yuh hand and wipe yuh bamsee like yuh mother... if I feel yuh talking shit I will tell you just that.  Me eh go hold yuh pencil and help yuh shape yuh letters.  Yuh using big words like "convoluted"... yuh even know what that mean?  I bet 90% of the people reading what I right understand it.  Yuh sure is my "assessment" convoluted or your thought process?  Given yuh penchant fuh talking shit smart money will be on the latter.

but of course that is done to distract the reader from seeing his true intentions and what he really is trying to say, but of course you would rather come across as a neutral unbiased poster who is a defender of the constitution and people of trinidad and tobago.

You done tell me what my intent is and now you telling all ah we what Anand intent is too... I keep forgetting you's ah mind reader yes.  Hopefully that works out better than yuh soca career because as much as it hardly seems possible, yuh actually sing more shit dan yuh does talk.

a good forum for you to voice your concerns about the current AG would be woodford square or maybe you should write a letter to the editor of the guardian to voice any future concerns you may have

Thanks... when I feel my concerns need to be publicized I'll be sure to send yuh ah PM so yuh could give mih permission as to where to raise them.

once again you have sidestepped my questions and havent addressed my comment about truetrini and his statements. well done you have become a man who has great expertise in evasive tactics  :applause:

truetrini is yuh facking father?  De f**k I have tuh address truetrini comments for? If yuh so interested go back and read what I have to say there in that thread.  I doh juss jump up and bawl "he talking truth" or "he lie"... I'll support my position with more, which I did.  If you too lazy to read it, or if yuh could only understand when truetrini type (which I'm starting to believe... seeing how much time I done waste breaking thing down fuh you) then that is not my fault.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »
I think he may be the best appointment she has made. He like many politician seek self-interest first. That whole advocating for rasta was not started with him, but he recognized an opportunity and jump on board when much of the hard work was basically done.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 06:32:27 AM »
I know we kinda on the World Cup right now but ah watching Mr. Ramlogan closely.  First on Thursday he list out a setta things that the Integrity Commission investigating and he find taking long.  He claimed that the list was off the top of his head, but Tony Lee read out an almost identical list that was sent to the Integrity Commission by ITEC headed by non other than Devant Maharaj....

Now this......:waiting: :waiting:

http://guardian.co.tt/sports/general/2010/06/11/ag-gives-ish-steve-7-days-show-cause

AG gives Ish, Steve 7 days to show cause
Francis Joseph
Published: 12 Jun 2010

Businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh, left, and Steve Ferguson
Francis Joseph
Attorney General Anand Ramlogan has given businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson seven days to make representations as to why they should not be extradited to the United States to face a total of 95 charges relating to the construction of the Piarco Airport Terminal building. After the refusal of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council this week to grant leave for them to appeal, the Attorney General wrote to their attorneys, giving Ferguson and Galbaransingh the opportunity to make representation in accordance with Section 16 of the Extradition Act.

After the local Court of Appeal dismissed the extradition appeal on May 3, Ferguson and Galbaransingh rushed to the Privy Council, saying they had the right of appeal to the Law Lords. They were asked to make their submissions in writing, and if need be, the Privy Council would request oral submissions. But the Law Lords—Brown, Mance and Collins—did not want oral submissions and refused the application for leave this week. But before that, lawyers for the two men rushed off a letter dated May 27 to Ramlogan, seeking his intervention in the matter. Ramlogan had been sworn in the day before. In a letter dated June 9, Ramlogan responded to the two men: “Your application for leave to appeal against the decision of the Court of Appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council is extant. We intend to allow the proceedings before the Judicial Committee to take their course. If the appeal is dismissed, the Honourable Attorney General will then proceed to carry out his statutory duty under Section 16 of the Extradition Act as amended.”
In this regard, Ramlogan said he would maintain the position adopted by former Attorney General John Jeremie and allow Ferguson and Galbaransingh a reasonable time to consider and take any appropriate measures in respect of a decision under Section 16, if it were adverse to them.

The AG said he would also provide an opportunity for the wanted men to make the necessary representations in keeping with the prior legal position adopted by Jeremie. In a follow-up letter dated June 10, Ramlogan pointed out that the Privy Council had denied leave to Ferguson and Galbaransingh. “In keeping with the stated position in previous correspondence, the Honourable Attorney General is proceeding along the legal basis adopted by his predecessor and now invites your clients to make representations within seven days,” the AG said. Ramlogan said the request for representations was necessitated by natural justice principles. After Ramlogan receives the representation, he would then make a ruling as to whether Ferguson and Galbaransingh should be extradited to Florida. Both Ferguson and Galbaransingh have been on $1 million bail since their arrest in 2006. In an unprecedented move, Chief Magistrate Sherman Mc Nicolls granted bail in an extradition case, when in all other similar cases, the wanted people were all kept in prison.

On May 4, 2006, a grand jury in Florida, returned an indictment against Galbaransingh, Ferguson and six others in relation to corrupt practices concerning two packages for the construction of the airport terminal building. Months later, six Americans pleaded guilty before Judge Paul Huck in the Miami Federal Court, and were sentenced to terms between six months and six years. The case against Galbaransingh and Ferguson is still pending. Ferguson and Galbaransingh contend that they have already endured seven years of domestic criminal proceedings in respect of the same allegations made in the United States. They submit that they have endured hundreds of days of court hearings and substantial legal costs, stress, anxiety and loss of reputation.

Battle far from over
In a press release issued yesterday, Galbaransingh and Ferguson stated that their extradition battle was far from over. The release stated: “In relation to the extradition proceedings that are currently ongoing with regards to Steve Ferguson and Ishwar Galbaransingh, the Attorney General has now written to the two persons inviting them through their attorneys to make representations as to why it would be unjust and oppressive or unconstitutional to take further steps in their extradition. “In his letter to Ferguson and Galbaransingh dated June 10, 2010, the Honourable Attorney General informed them that this decision is proceeding along the legal basis adopted by his predecessor, John Jeremie, and that the request from the Attorney General for these representations is necessitated by the principles of natural justice,” the release said. “If the Attorney General’s decision is unfavourable to Ferguson and/or Galbaransingh, the Appeal Court has already ruled that they must be given a reasonable time to judicially review the Attorney General’s decision in the High Court and at that stage they will have the right to go all the way to the Privy Council.”

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »
I know we kinda on the World Cup right now but ah watching Mr. Ramlogan closely.  First on Thursday he list out a setta things that the Integrity Commission investigating and he find taking long.  He claimed that the list was off the top of his head, but Tony Lee read out an almost identical list that was sent to the Integrity Commission by ITEC headed by non other than Devant Maharaj....

Now this......:waiting: :waiting:

http://guardian.co.tt/sports/general/2010/06/11/ag-gives-ish-steve-7-days-show-cause

AG gives Ish, Steve 7 days to show cause
Francis Joseph
Published: 12 Jun 2010

Businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh, left, and Steve Ferguson
Francis Joseph
Attorney General Anand Ramlogan has given businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson seven days to make representations as to why they should not be extradited to the United States to face a total of 95 charges relating to the construction of the Piarco Airport Terminal building. After the refusal of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council this week to grant leave for them to appeal, the Attorney General wrote to their attorneys, giving Ferguson and Galbaransingh the opportunity to make representation in accordance with Section 16 of the Extradition Act.

After the local Court of Appeal dismissed the extradition appeal on May 3, Ferguson and Galbaransingh rushed to the Privy Council, saying they had the right of appeal to the Law Lords. They were asked to make their submissions in writing, and if need be, the Privy Council would request oral submissions. But the Law Lords—Brown, Mance and Collins—did not want oral submissions and refused the application for leave this week. But before that, lawyers for the two men rushed off a letter dated May 27 to Ramlogan, seeking his intervention in the matter. Ramlogan had been sworn in the day before. In a letter dated June 9, Ramlogan responded to the two men: “Your application for leave to appeal against the decision of the Court of Appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council is extant. We intend to allow the proceedings before the Judicial Committee to take their course. If the appeal is dismissed, the Honourable Attorney General will then proceed to carry out his statutory duty under Section 16 of the Extradition Act as amended.”
In this regard, Ramlogan said he would maintain the position adopted by former Attorney General John Jeremie and allow Ferguson and Galbaransingh a reasonable time to consider and take any appropriate measures in respect of a decision under Section 16, if it were adverse to them.

The AG said he would also provide an opportunity for the wanted men to make the necessary representations in keeping with the prior legal position adopted by Jeremie. In a follow-up letter dated June 10, Ramlogan pointed out that the Privy Council had denied leave to Ferguson and Galbaransingh. “In keeping with the stated position in previous correspondence, the Honourable Attorney General is proceeding along the legal basis adopted by his predecessor and now invites your clients to make representations within seven days,” the AG said. Ramlogan said the request for representations was necessitated by natural justice principles. After Ramlogan receives the representation, he would then make a ruling as to whether Ferguson and Galbaransingh should be extradited to Florida. Both Ferguson and Galbaransingh have been on $1 million bail since their arrest in 2006. In an unprecedented move, Chief Magistrate Sherman Mc Nicolls granted bail in an extradition case, when in all other similar cases, the wanted people were all kept in prison.

On May 4, 2006, a grand jury in Florida, returned an indictment against Galbaransingh, Ferguson and six others in relation to corrupt practices concerning two packages for the construction of the airport terminal building. Months later, six Americans pleaded guilty before Judge Paul Huck in the Miami Federal Court, and were sentenced to terms between six months and six years. The case against Galbaransingh and Ferguson is still pending. Ferguson and Galbaransingh contend that they have already endured seven years of domestic criminal proceedings in respect of the same allegations made in the United States. They submit that they have endured hundreds of days of court hearings and substantial legal costs, stress, anxiety and loss of reputation.

Battle far from over
In a press release issued yesterday, Galbaransingh and Ferguson stated that their extradition battle was far from over. The release stated: “In relation to the extradition proceedings that are currently ongoing with regards to Steve Ferguson and Ishwar Galbaransingh, the Attorney General has now written to the two persons inviting them through their attorneys to make representations as to why it would be unjust and oppressive or unconstitutional to take further steps in their extradition. “In his letter to Ferguson and Galbaransingh dated June 10, 2010, the Honourable Attorney General informed them that this decision is proceeding along the legal basis adopted by his predecessor, John Jeremie, and that the request from the Attorney General for these representations is necessitated by the principles of natural justice,” the release said. “If the Attorney General’s decision is unfavourable to Ferguson and/or Galbaransingh, the Appeal Court has already ruled that they must be given a reasonable time to judicially review the Attorney General’s decision in the High Court and at that stage they will have the right to go all the way to the Privy Council.”

U alone watchin gyul. Dis group eh in office 6 mths yet but u talkin bout  how long decisions take. Is not them who take long. Let him play his games somebody beside u might just watch as well.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 04:11:57 PM »
as a legal novice, what is wrong with giving them 7 days to show cause?  Is he making up opportunities for them to escape extradition?  or is he following the law?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »
as a legal novice, what is wrong with giving them 7 days to show cause?  Is he making up opportunities for them to escape extradition?  or is he following the law?

Well that's the thing... I dunno what this "Section 16" allows for, but from what I reading it Anand not premising the show cause on anything in the law (although early on the article say "in accordance with Section 16 of the Extradition Act), but rather on maintaining the position of Jeremie, the previous AG.  As I understand it, the TnT Appellate court ruled against them, they appealed to the Privy Council who denied review.  That should end the appeals process.  I watching this one hard, because I have a sneaking feeling that the UNC eh go let they big boys fly out juss so... but that could provoke a diplomatice mess with the US.  Leh we see whey dey priorities really lie.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 05:10:48 PM »

Dey write him and say we eh want 2 go. He say leh we hear what d Privy Council say. D Privy Council say all yuh have 2 go. He as AG wrote their lawyers and say u have 7 days as 2 say y we should not send yuh boys packin. Dey lawyers say dey want 21 days.

D AG has no locus standi in d matter but dat ah right. I want him to not to send them.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
I want him to not to send them.

If nothing else so you could be right.  :devil:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 06:23:43 PM »

Dey write him and say we eh want 2 go. He say leh we hear what d Privy Council say. D Privy Council say all yuh have 2 go. He as AG wrote their lawyers and say u have 7 days as 2 say y we should not send yuh boys packin. Dey lawyers say dey want 21 days.

D AG has no locus standi in d matter but dat ah right. I want him to not to send them.

Actually he does... as AG he represents the nation, and by extension its citizens in international matters.  The US can't just come and take we citizens (unless dey name Manuel Noriega) and jail dem so they have to petition the government, who, extradition treaty or not... has final say as to whether the citizens would be extradited.  As legal advisor to the government the AG has standing in the matter.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 06:48:34 PM »
I want him to not to send them.

If nothing else so you could be right.  :devil:

EXACTLY DAT DEY IZ A SET OF CROOKS

Actually he does... as AG he represents the nation, and by extension its citizens in international matters.  The US can't just come and take we citizens (unless dey name Manuel Noriega) and jail dem so they have to petition the government, who, extradition treaty or not... has final say as to whether the citizens would be extradited.  As legal advisor to the government the AG has standing in the matter.

Y go 2 d Privy Council just advise d govt dat dey name eh Noriega so doh sent dem.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »
Y go 2 d Privy Council just advise d govt dat dey name eh Noriega so doh sent dem.

That is not a position TnT want to find itself in... cooperation with the US on criminal matters is nothing to be trifled with, not when we need as much help as possible with getting the situation in Trinidad (in particular) under control.  That said, I believe that if some legal loophole can be found this government will try its damnedest to find it.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 05:21:53 AM »
That said, I believe that if some legal loophole can be found this government will try its damnedest to find it.

That is what ah worried about.  When the soldiers the other day exhausted their last appeals to the Privy Council, we flew them out no questions asked.....  So what so special about these two??  Oh right, they does finance a certain party.... :whistling: :whistling:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 11:07:07 AM »
That said, I believe that if some legal loophole can be found this government will try its damnedest to find it.

That is what ah worried about.  When the soldiers the other day exhausted their last appeals to the Privy Council, we flew them out no questions asked.....  So what so special about these two??  Oh right, they does finance a certain party.... :whistling: :whistling:

Not just that. If/When they get extradited....and files start to buss....people who in government name go be calling.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »

Not just that. If/When they get extradited....and files start to buss....people who in government name go be calling.

Plenty cocoa in  d RISING SUN

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
to be fair
any lawyer worth his weight in Salt would try his damnest to find a loop hole
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
to be fair

You don't know what de ass yuh talking about.  Any lawyer worth his salt would try his best to advocate and find a loophole for his client.  Who is Anand Ramlogan client here? 

Best yuh did stay quiet.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »
to be fair

You don't know what de ass yuh talking about.  Any lawyer worth his salt would try his best to advocate and find a loophole for his client.  Who is Anand Ramlogan client here? 

Best yuh did stay quiet.
man take it easy
ya go give ya self an aneurysm
here this is what you said ::) ::)
so you going back on what you said
YOU ARE THE GREATEST
but your friends LOVE YOU

That is not a position TnT want to find itself in... cooperation with the US on criminal matters is nothing to be trifled with, not when we need as much help as possible with getting the situation in Trinidad (in particular) under control.  That said, I believe that if some legal loophole can be found this government will try its damnedest to find it.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »
to be fair

Best yuh did stay quiet.
man take it easy
ya go give ya self an aneurysm
here this is what you said ::) ::)
so you going back on what you said
YOU ARE THE GREATEST
but your friends LOVE YOU

I know understanding isn't your strong suit... but the difference between what I said and what you said Jackass is that you implied that looking for a loophole was proper, as any lawyer would do.  Anand Ramlogan isn't any lawyer, nor should his purpose under these circumstances be to find loopholes on the part of party financiers.

I'm pretty sure the difference will be lost on you.

1]; } ?>