April 19, 2024, 04:28:19 PM

Author Topic: West African nations lack development of playmakers  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
West African nations lack development of playmakers
« on: May 31, 2010, 05:58:47 AM »
West African nations continue to struggle to find skillful playmakers

Two decades ago, the general characterization of African football was that it was too undisciplined. Africa could produce great, powerful forwards and skillful midfielders, but it was let down by defensive inadequacies. The stereotype has proved hard to shift, but if it was ever true, African football left it far behind a long time ago.

The powerful forwards still exist, and they have been joined by great driving holding midfielders and defenders. In North Africa, there are skillful creators -- Egypt has Mohamed Aboutrika and Mohamed Barakat; Algeria has Karim Ziani; Morocco's Adel Taraabt shows great promise -- but in West Africa there is nothing. Even Ivory Coast, with its so-called "golden generation" of players, has lacked real flair.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: West African nations lack development of playmakers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:05:17 AM »
Remember this name : Stanley Obinna Okoro (Nigeria) .

I saw him in the U17 world Cup last year.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:32:19 AM »
thanks zeppo, that is a great read.

funny enough just yesterday i was looking at ivory coast lineup and thinking the same thing. their midfield is stacked with talent but there is no real playmaker.. u have men like yaya toure, romaric and zokora but they are basically holding midfielders.

"I see that African football is heading away from flair and more toward the team," he said. "Football has changed over the years and there aren't really any playmakers anymore. It's more about tactical work. I see African countries playing more like European ones. That's the only way to become competitive. It's a pity it's at the expense of flair, because fans want to enjoy their money and see good football. If you could combine the flair with goals it would be great."

Exacerbating the problem is the lack of width in the West African game -- has there ever been a great West African winger? -- something Vernon attributes to the conditions in which most children there learn the game.

"They have a pitch maybe 20 or 30 yards long, and set up two stones a couple of feet apart at either end, often with gutters or ditches marking the boundaries at the sides," he said. "So it's a tiny area. The game becomes all about receiving the ball, turning and driving through the middle."

i think these things are exactly the case with what has happened in trinidad football over the last decade. only thing is that we not producing players that playing with the level of intensity required to play that kind of game.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »

Jah gol,
                      I have heard of him. They say he is pretty good. I think there is also a Brzilian name Obina. Score a lot of goals in Brazil and went to Europe. I thought he was on the bubble for the Brazil WC side.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »

Jah gol,
                      I have heard of him. They say he is pretty good. I think there is also a Brzilian name Obina. Score a lot of goals in Brazil and went to Europe. I thought he was on the bubble for the Brazil WC side.
Okoro has dazzling skill, low centre of gravity, good top speed and very explosive. He shoots and crosses well with his left foot. Look out for him.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »

If he played in the U17 world cup last year for Nigeria then he is about 22 or 23  ;D ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »

If he played in the U17 world cup last year for Nigeria then he is about 22 or 23  ;D ;D

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>