April 25, 2024, 05:53:13 PM

Author Topic: Adidas surprised at criticism of WC ball  (Read 5817 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Adidas surprised at criticism of WC ball
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:41:04 PM »
Adidas surprised at criticism of WC ball

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/Adidas-surprised-at-criticism-of-WC-ball

Adidas hit back Monday at criticism that the World Cup ball is difficult to control and a nightmare for goalkeepers, stressing that it was widely tested and approved long ago.

Company spokesman Thomas van Schaik said Monday said he was surprised to hear the criticisms, made by top goalkeepers such as Spain's Iker Casillas and Brazil's Julio Cesar, because the "Jabulani" balls had been used for months without any complaints.

"The ball has been used for months," he told The Associated Press. "We started using it in December in a wide variety of leagues. All the response we have had has been positive.

"On top of that, we have distributed it to all the finalists so that they have been able to get used to the ball. Apparently they have not taken advantage of that if we are only hearing this criticism now. I am quite surprised in these circumstances."

Brazil has been in South Africa since Thursday and Julio Cesar described the World Cup balls as "terrible," comparing them with cheap ones bought in a supermarket. Casillas said the balls were "in an appalling condition."

Outfield players have been critical too. Brazil striker Luis Fabiano described the ball as "weird" and suddenly changing trajectory and Italy's Giampaolo Pazzini said it was "a disaster."

"It moves so much and makes it difficult to control," the Italian striker said. "You jump up to head a cross and suddenly the ball will move and you miss it."

In contrast, several German players have said they were happy with the new ball, although some of them or their clubs have Adidas sponsorship.

Mario Gomez, who scored with the ball for Bayern Munich, said he found it "a little harder."

"It hurts a little, but if you hit it right, it flies," he said.

Asked why the ball behaved differently at altitude, where many of the games will be played in South Africa, Van Schaik said that applied to all balls.

"It does what every ball does (at altitude) and that really doesn't have anything to do with it," he said. "The different air pressure at altitude does make the ball move faster. We did have extensive testing with regard to altitude."

Van Schaik said there was traditionally a criticism of the balls ahead of World Cups but that tended to disappear by the end of the competition.

"If you look back in history there have always been criticisms about the ball before the World Cup but not so much afterwards after you've seen great goals or great saves," he said.

"The ball is much more accurate, making the best players in the world even better. If they kick the ball they want it to go where they are aiming for and even the goalkeepers get a better idea of where the ball is going."

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Adidas surprised at criticism of WC ball
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 06:37:55 AM »
Every 4 years, same story:

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/new-ball-to-cause-problems-for-keepers-1.239133
New ball to cause problems for keepers
The ball that will be used at the World Cup in Germany probably will be praised as much as it is disparaged.
AP
Published: 00:00 June 1, 2006

New York: Strikers and midfielders love it. Goalkeepers hate it.

The ball that will be used at the World Cup in Germany probably will be praised as much as it is disparaged.
The "Teamgeist" (team spirit) ball is the last in a line of 10 World Cup balls by Adidas. It features the latest in design and technology, promising a more accurate flight.

"It's a nightmare, an absolute nightmare," DC United goalkeeper Troy Perkins said. "There's going to be a lot of goals when the World Cup starts. But I guess that's what people want to see."

Major League Soccer and the Argentine first division are the two leagues officially using the Teamgeist since the beginning of the year, providing an early testing ground for a new 14-panel ball without stitches.

"Technology hasn't favoured goalkeepers, that's for sure," said New York Red Bulls keeper Tony Meola, who has 100 appearances with the United States. "It's lively, it knuckles a lot, especially if it gets anything on it: dirt, sand, water."

The Champions League used the Teamgeist since its introduction in December through the final, and some clubs in Germany, where the home teams provides the ball, also have been using it.

In MLS, at least, for every detractor, there are more than enough advocates.

"For me, it's very good. It has a very good touch," Red Bulls and former France midfielder Youri Djorkaeff said. "I don't know if a perfect ball exists, but it's close to perfect."

Of course, Djorkaeff's compliments came a few weeks after a 35-yard free kick goal in the Red Bulls' season opener against DC United, when he beat Perkins.

Statistics provide little support for the anecdotal evidence. Scoring in MLS through mid-May this season compared with last is down nearly two-tenths of a goal a game (2.96 to 2.80). In Argentina, scoring dropped from 2.7 goals a game in the 2005 Clausura championship to 2.3 this year.

"Whenever we've introduced a new ball, it's always been the same: goalkeepers don't like it," said Antonio Zea, head of product marketing for Adidas' US soccer division. "They have to react quicker, act faster."

American goalkeepers aren't the only ones complaining. When Jens Lehmann had his first experience with the ball at the German national team training camp in Geneva, he didn't like it, either. "When it rains, it's going to be very uncomfortable for us," Lehmann said. "It gets very slippery and flutters in the air."

Adidas contends the Teamgeist is three times more accurate than its closest competitors, but does not provide data from tests with its robotic leg at its laboratory in Scheinfeld, Germany.

Adidas introduced the familiar 32-panel ball to the World Cup in 1970 in Mexico with its "Telstar." It was iconic in a sense that it also introduced the widely recognised pattern of alternating black and white panels that year, mainly for the purpose of television.

The 32-panel ball replaced the standard design of all-brown or all-white leather featuring 18-panels of horizontal strips, a design similar to a volleyball. That style was known by many in the trade as the Santiago because of its use at the 1962 World Cup in Chile.

Watertight seal

The World Cup ball is white with black markings and some gold lines; the MLS ball has blue and green. The ball for the July 9 final in Berlin will have a gold tint.

While the Telstar was the first laceless ball at the World Cup, Teamgeist will be the first stitchless ball. Adidas is using a gluing and heating process to create a watertight seal as well as a more supple feel.
Teamgeist also includes a graphic change from the 2002 World Cup Fevernova ball that was criticised for a wobbling appearance while rotating in flight.

"There is a symmetrical balance in the engineering, a true centre of the ball," Adidas senior industrial designer Scott Tomlinson said. Entrenched perceptions remain. "Goalkeepers always hate a new ball," Chivas USA and former Mexican national team striker Francisco "Paco" Palencia said.

The 32-panel ball replaced the standard design of all-brown or all-white leather featuring 18-panels of horizontal strips, a design similar to a volleyball. That style was known by many in the trade as the Santiago because of its use at the 1962 World Cup...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

giggsy11

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
I want to see what kind of wicked goals that will result from this so call beach ball and which keeper will get royally embarrassed because of the ball. It is so funny that the thing that changes the most with football in all of it's years of existence is the ball which may lead to an advantage for some players or a disadvantage for others.  If the boots so good they should be able to handle any type of balls. May be they should go back to playing barefeet then you will see who have real skills!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
Yea everytime a new ball is introduced, there's always a handful of players who complain. With that being said, sometimes these companies get carried away with all this technology for these new balls in attempt for more goals to be scored. I say we just go back to the real leather balls from the 60's, the one Pele and them used to play with....when yuh butt it, is headache fuh days.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »
Whoever doh like de new ball could pack up dey own balls and go home.  Plain and simple.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:00:13 AM »
Dunga hits back at FIFA criticism of ball protests

Brazil coach Dunga on Thursday defended his players after their complaints about the World Cup ball were criticized by FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke.

Valcke suggested two days ago that the Brazilians were using the ball as an excuse in case of failure, but Dunga dismissed the opinion as that of a “guy who never kicked the ball.”

“He needs to play,” Dunga said. “If he played with the ball he would have a different opinion. He is a guy who never got on the field. I want him to be here in our practice and we will give him the ball to see if he can control it.”

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
Ehy I play with one...well the cheaper version that Coke offering with the 3 caps and the ting wukking good.

It bouncing good, nice cushion and it not too heavy or light.

Only ting...it have a "gloss" on it. Maybe with a fresh pair of nike or adidas boots the ball will stick but the gloss on my copas ent helping, it slippery and it hard to dribble with the ball, mash it or make small pass with it as it skimming off yuh boot.

But for 75$....all yuh rush it like wrong change.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 07:05:29 AM »
Taking in USA vs Australia...Buddle score for the US and u could definitely tell is d movement of d ball. Jus kick it hard and d movement kill Schwarzer who we know is a big keeper. Even on a cross from Cherundolo u could c it move and he couldn't control it so it hit him and went for a corner
It's only kinky the 1st time

giggsy11

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 07:21:24 AM »
Taking in USA vs Australia...Buddle score for the US and u could definitely tell is d movement of d ball. Jus kick it hard and d movement kill Schwarzer who we know is a big keeper. Even on a cross from Cherundolo u could c it move and he couldn't control it so it hit him and went for a corner

Yeah I see the keeper bundle the ball and I was thinking that keeper lookin shaky- then I realize it was Schwarzer. And there is probably extra movement with the high altitude.   

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
A big part of the problem is that,as mentioned in the article, some of the teams only now getting to practice with the ball.  What's not mentioned is that this is because of the sponsorship deals that these teams which have prevented them from using the World Cup ball until now.

For example the England team (sponsored by Umbro) is only allowed to use Umbro balls in training and didn't get a chance to practice with the World cup ball until they got to South Africa.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 11:54:47 AM »
I don't know if its just me noticing and I not sure if its the ball or the altitude but some observations from the first few games...

- The ball bouncing real high off the pitch
- Plenty crosses being over played
- Nobody able to keep their free kicks down, it just keep rising

I waiting for someone to pipe on properly to see if it really moves.

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 03:28:47 PM »
I don't know if its just me noticing and I not sure if its the ball or the altitude but some observations from the first few games...

- The ball bouncing real high off the pitch
- Plenty crosses being over played
- Nobody able to keep their free kicks down, it just keep rising

I waiting for someone to pipe on properly to see if it really moves.

Just waiting for Cronaldo to get a hold on the ball. He go make it swing like a pole dancer.

Once he ain't do it against Ivory Coast.

Ketch footballitis

giggsy11

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 05:03:37 PM »
Ah wonder if it easier tuh butt?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »
A big part of the problem is that,as mentioned in the article, some of the teams only now getting to practice with the ball.  What's not mentioned is that this is because of the sponsorship deals that these teams which have prevented them from using the World Cup ball until now.

For example the England team (sponsored by Umbro) is only allowed to use Umbro balls in training and didn't get a chance to practice with the World cup ball until they got to South Africa.

I agree. Germany seemed quite comfortable with the ball.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »

you serious?  :o
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

giggsy11

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 06:46:43 AM »
I wonder if the gloves being used by the keepers are suitable to use with this ball? It appears that the keeper's glove are becoming smaller and smoother.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 07:03:32 AM »
Just waiting for Cronaldo to get a hold on the ball. He go make it swing like a pole dancer.

Once he ain't do it against Ivory Coast.

CO-SIGN..... :beermug:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 07:25:02 AM »
I wonder if the gloves being used by the keepers are suitable to use with this ball? It appears that the keeper's glove are becoming smaller and smoother.

looks the same to same to me
Youtube Channel

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 07:35:40 AM »

I don't think so Giggsy11. The goalkeeper gloves are like wicket keeper gloves now  ;D
Measure the gloves today and you would see each finger is wider than two inches. Gloves are made of low impact foam, and a grip (sticky substance) activated by water (or spit). The ball moves in flight, even along the ground it comes at you, swerving sometimes twice changing direction. I find if you hit it right it travels with great velocity and movement, but once you don't connect dead center it seems to fly, either wide or high.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 09:22:57 AM »
On thing I do notice, and the ball may have something to do with it, is that a lot have the players have very heavy first touches on the ball. Based on the games that I've seen so far, a lot of promising counter attacks have broken down because the opposing player on the break kicks the ball too far in front of him, thereby showing too much of it to the defender.

Maybe Brazil will prove me wrong.

giggsy11

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »
On thing I do notice, and the ball may have something to do with it, is that a lot have the players have very heavy first touches on the ball. Based on the games that I've seen so far, a lot of promising counter attacks have broken down because the opposing player on the break kicks the ball too far in front of him, thereby showing too much of it to the defender.

Maybe Brazil will prove me wrong.

So it sounds like Wright Phillips has been playing with the ball longer than most because he has perfected everything you just described!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 11:59:17 AM »
But we on matchday 5 and not a freekick score yet  >:(

Something wrong!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »
Nothing wrong with jabulani!!!!!

giggsy11

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »

I don't think so Giggsy11. The goalkeeper gloves are like wicket keeper gloves now  ;D
Measure the gloves today and you would see each finger is wider than two inches. Gloves are made of low impact foam, and a grip (sticky substance) activated by water (or spit). The ball moves in flight, even along the ground it comes at you, swerving sometimes twice changing direction. I find if you hit it right it travels with great velocity and movement, but once you don't connect dead center it seems to fly, either wide or high.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
Oh....look at this paragraph from this article.

Regardless, England's toils against the USA contrasted markedly with Germany's 4-0 dismissal of Australia some 24 hours later. That game was played at sea level in Durban, though England's players noted the Germans' success in taming the much criticised Adidas Jabulani ball, with the Bundesliga having adopted the World Cup ball, which had been launched last December, this year. The Premier League has a deal with Nike and could not follow suit, while the Football Association is contracted to Umbro for international fixtures, thereby preventing Capello's side experimenting with the new ball in the friendly with Egypt in March. England have been using it every day since they gathered in Austria for a pre-tournament training camp, barring the Wembley friendly against Mexico.

The Jabulani was, however, used in domestic leagues in Switzerland, Portugal, the United States, South Africa and the Netherlands last season, and in the French Cup and the Africa Cup of Nations. No complaints over its performance were received, with tests in sessions at Chelsea, Real Madrid and Milan also producing positive feedback.

"We supplied the national federations with the ball in February," said Thomas van Schaik, an Adidas spokesman. "Obviously, we stressed they needed to use it and we offered it to them for usage. The reason we chose February was because, following the launch in December, there had not been any internationals. That meant that the national teams would have the first opportunity to have access to the ball at the same time."
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

giggsy11

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »
Oh....look at this paragraph from this article.

Regardless, England's toils against the USA contrasted markedly with Germany's 4-0 dismissal of Australia some 24 hours later. That game was played at sea level in Durban, though England's players noted the Germans' success in taming the much criticised Adidas Jabulani ball, with the Bundesliga having adopted the World Cup ball, which had been launched last December, this year. The Premier League has a deal with Nike and could not follow suit, while the Football Association is contracted to Umbro for international fixtures, thereby preventing Capello's side experimenting with the new ball in the friendly with Egypt in March. England have been using it every day since they gathered in Austria for a pre-tournament training camp, barring the Wembley friendly against Mexico.

The Jabulani was, however, used in domestic leagues in Switzerland, Portugal, the United States, South Africa and the Netherlands last season, and in the French Cup and the Africa Cup of Nations. No complaints over its performance were received, with tests in sessions at Chelsea, Real Madrid and Milan also producing positive feedback.

"We supplied the national federations with the ball in February," said Thomas van Schaik, an Adidas spokesman. "Obviously, we stressed they needed to use it and we offered it to them for usage. The reason we chose February was because, following the launch in December, there had not been any internationals. That meant that the national teams would have the first opportunity to have access to the ball at the same time."

Oh well-money talks!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World Cup Ball: What's Wrong With It?
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWjKVeH1QUQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NWjKVeH1QUQ</a>

Players and coaches at the 2010 World Cup are complaining that the Jabulani, the tournament's official ball, behaves unpredictably. Jorge Ribas talks to a NASA aerospace engineer and a pro soccer player to find out the science behind the ball.
Youtube Channel

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »
Every world cup has some type of negative content. Fast forward to 2014 I wonder what major neg. will it be?  
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
8 more games left in the WC and only 2 free kicks scored...in the same game by the Japanese.

Wha dat telling yuh?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 02:07:29 PM »
8 more games left in the WC and only 2 free kicks scored...in the same game by the Japanese.

Wha dat telling yuh?

dat dem yellow and orange plastic boots wuss dan ah doric
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>