April 17, 2024, 06:17:54 PM

Author Topic: Liverpool Confirm Benitez Exit  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Liverpool Confirm Benitez Exit
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:46:30 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/03/rafael-benitez-leaves-liverpool

Liverpool have confirmed the departure of their manager Rafael Benítez. The club released a statement this afternoon saying the Spaniard is to leave the club "by mutual consent".

Kenny Dalglish is to assist the Liverpool managing director, Christian Purslow, in the search for a replacement. Roy Hodgson, Martin O'Neill and Louis van Gaal are among the bookmakers early favourites for the post.

"It is very sad for me to announce that I will no longer be manager of Liverpool FC," Benítez said. "I would like to thank all of the staff and players for their efforts.

"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Benítez joined the club from Valencia in 2004 and guided the side to the Champions League title in his first season in charge. The FA Cup followed in 2006, but he was unable to transform his side's cup form into Premier League success.

Despite regular top-four finishes, the closest Liverpool came to the title during his reign was in 2008-09, when they were runners-up to Manchester United. Last season Benítez's side missed out on the Champions League qualifying spots, finishing the season in seventh.

Despite those shortcomings in the league, Benítez is admired by the Internazionale president, Massimo Moratti, who is searching for a replacement for José Mourinho at San Siro.
Liverpool statement in full

Liverpool FC today confirmed that Rafael Benitez is to leave the club by mutual consent.

Mr Benitez relinquishes his position as team manager after six years and the Board of Directors would like to place on record their grateful thanks for his services and wish him all the best in his future career.

The Board has now asked Managing Director Christian Purslow, with the assistance of Club Ambassador Kenny Dalglish, to begin a formal search to identify and assess potential candidates for the managerial position.

No timescale has been placed on the process and Liverpool FC will make no further statement until a new manager is appointed.

LFC Chairman Martin Broughton said: "Rafa will forever be part of Liverpool folklore after bringing home the Champions League following the epic final in Istanbul but after a disappointing season both parties felt a fresh start would be best for all concerned.''

Rafael Benitez said: "It is very sad for me to announce that I will no longer be manager of Liverpool FC. I would like to thank all of the staff and players for their efforts.

"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:35:04 AM by Cantona007 »
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Confirm Benitez Exit
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:52:19 AM »
ADIOSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »
 :(
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:30:34 AM »
This for real now? It's been a while since I've being hearing and reading rumors that he's leaving.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »
Should this not be in the Liverpool Thread or you cyah find it? Check page 10.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:04:06 PM »
LOL
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »
Off to Inter he goes

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »
Off to Inter he goes

Poor Inter, from Kakahole Mourinho to Jackass Benitez
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
And when Torres goes after the World Cup, dey go be ah rankin' sh!t side.

Més que un club.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 12:51:39 PM »
Off to Inter he goes

Kakahole Mourinho lift the CL trophy.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »
Off to Inter he goes

hahahah... talk about hating!

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 01:46:19 PM »
And when Torres goes after the World Cup, dey go be ah rankin' sh!t side.

Is this not already so?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
Off to Inter he goes

Kakahole Mourinho lift the CL trophy.

....and after taking the club to the pinnacle of European club football I guess there was no where but down from there.  I just didn't expect it would've been a free-fall.  Dam!  Now Chelsea might have to worry about an improved liverpool side next season!  >:(

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »
European cup winner .....losing 3-0 half time ..side kyah even get the ball ..then all of a sudden Milan forget how to play and end up losing de game ....yeah and getting fined and demoted for gambling away games that season ....yeah ! I would say he should be a shoe in at AC Milan.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
Thanks Rafa... good luck with your future club.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
aye
waiter
that's to go
 :devil:

serious: all de best man
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
Van Gaal? Ha.

Buh my question is this.
Dont have enough money to pay the man his required severance fee. Giving him a portion with the intention to pay in terms.

If dem so cash strapped..where dem getting money to pay a new manager salary...plus fund any transfers he go require?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:32 PM »
Van Gaal? Ha.

Buh my question is this.
Dont have enough money to pay the man his required severance fee. Giving him a portion with the intention to pay in terms.

If dem so cash strapped..where dem getting money to pay a new manager salary...plus fund any transfers he go require?

latas does work for cheap.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
European cup winner .....losing 3-0 half time ..side kyah even get the ball ..then all of a sudden Milan forget how to play and end up losing de game ....yeah and getting fined and demoted for gambling away games that season ....yeah ! I would say he should be a shoe in at AC Milan.

I doh think Milan get demoted. It was juventus, wasn't it.

giggsy11

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
This news makes me very sad :( :( My condolences Liverstool fans!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 05:01:25 AM »

Please Deeks, don't ruin a good story with fact. I was going to point out out that Milan dominated most of that second half and extra time (except for the 6 minute span when Liverpool scored 3) but that's not as interesting a story as "Milan forget how to play"...

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 05:04:44 AM »

The short answer is, they can't. They can't afford a TOP manager, which means they will probably get someone mediocre (Curbishley? Pardew?) or promote from within (Dalglish, Sammy Lee), and whoever takes the role won't have very much money to spend. If they get a good offer for Gerrard and/or Torres, they will probably take it.

Thanks for the memories, Rafa  :beermug:

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 08:53:26 AM »

The short answer is, they can't. They can't afford a TOP manager, which means they will probably get someone mediocre (Curbishley? Pardew?) or promote from within (Dalglish, Sammy Lee), and whoever takes the role won't have very much money to spend. If they get a good offer for Gerrard and/or Torres, they will probably take it.

Thanks for the memories, Rafa  :beermug:

He will look superb in Blue!!!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 11:00:59 AM »

You are right ..Milan got points deducted Juventus got demoted. Still cant understand how such travesty was treated so flippantly. ,,but is football ....and anything can happen . Athletics does take away man medal if he tested positive for drug usage ..years later too ! but everybody and he dog see Henry hands ah ball to he pardner and nothing !! not then not ever !
So de Irish have to watch and tiefin Henry gets to play in ah world Cup. ..just an aside ...I dont want to start a new thread within a thread  :beermug:

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 12:39:19 PM »

The short answer is, they can't. They can't afford a TOP manager, which means they will probably get someone mediocre (Curbishley? Pardew?)

But the long answer is that they are still Liverpool. The most successful club in England (until ManU win the league next year) and the third most successful team in Europe behing Real and Milan. When a big side with tradition like Liverpool come calling, it going to be hard for most managers to say no regardless of the money situation.

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »

You are right ..Milan got points deducted Juventus got demoted. Still cant understand how such travesty was treated so flippantly. ,,but is football ....and anything can happen . Athletics does take away man medal if he tested positive for drug usage ..years later too ! but everybody and he dog see Henry hands ah ball to he pardner and nothing !! not then not ever ! So de Irish have to watch and tiefin Henry gets to play in ah world Cup. ..just an aside ...I dont want to start a new thread within a thread  :beermug:

Are you willing to take back the WC trophy that Argentina won in 86? Since someone on that team CHEATED on their way to the finals?  ::)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »

You are right ..Milan got points deducted Juventus got demoted. Still cant understand how such travesty was treated so flippantly. ,,but is football ....and anything can happen . Athletics does take away man medal if he tested positive for drug usage ..years later too ! but everybody and he dog see Henry hands ah ball to he pardner and nothing !! not then not ever ! So de Irish have to watch and tiefin Henry gets to play in ah world Cup. ..just an aside ...I dont want to start a new thread within a thread  :beermug:

Are you willing to take back the WC trophy that Argentina won in 86? Since someone on that team CHEATED on their way to the finals?  ::)

Big Up!
There would have to be a lot of taking back of trphies would you not agree ?
I want to see football reach de enlightened age like other sports ....there are many other ncidents ..T&T vs Haiti, Spain vs Brazil, England vs Brazil ..., argentina vs Peru, . You realise that the most popular sport in the world lags behind in the use of technology and policy to corect and avoid wrongs ?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »

Big Up!
There would have to be a lot of taking back of trphies would you not agree ?
I want to see football reach de enlightened age like other sports ....there are many other ncidents ..T&T vs Haiti, Spain vs Brazil, England vs Brazil ..., argentina vs Peru, . You realise that the most popular sport in the world lags behind in the use of technology and policy to corect and avoid wrongs ?

Italy would have to give back they last WC trophy......and possibly the one in '82. Not necessarily for blatant bad calls, but for the muggings that claudio gentile was allowed to get away with throughout that tournament.  There's no way he shoulda made it through that tournament the way he did without receiving a couple of red cards.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 04:57:13 PM »

1]; } ?>