April 27, 2024, 01:33:37 PM

Author Topic: Lara played today for World 11 vs. England  (Read 8878 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Lara played today for World 11 vs. England
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:06:08 PM »
Entertaining game.

Endless penalty kicks at the end.

I tuned in at the 60th minute. They had BL playing a deep defensive role, however after a few subs he started to be more offensive had a few good touches but really didn't see much of the ball in the last 30 minutes.

Gave a great through pass for the forward to have a one on one with the Gk but it was saved.

Took a powerful left footed shot that was wide.

World 11 had men like Zidane, Larson, Woody Harrelson, Joe Galzaghe (boxer), the Austin Powers actor. Nice game to watch.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: Lara played today for World 11 vs. England
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:59:49 PM »
Yeah, it was a good match played in a good spirit, although there were some hard tackles in there as well.

Lara played well and wasn't as involved towards the end as vb said. He scored his penalty in the shootout though, and as he is a Utd fan, he would have been thrilled to score at Old Trafford (though not at the Stretford End).

Woody Harrelson scored the winning penalty. The starting front two for the Rest of the World team was Zidane and Mike Myers. Crazy!  :rotfl: :beermug:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »
The best part is Harrelson only pick up football about 8 yrs ago. He is now 48.

He trained with the world 11 for about a week. However, he was worried about his game so after practice he would go around London and ask anybody in the local parks if he could join their game  ;D

Imagine you playing football and WH come and ask for a sweat.

VB

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
The best part is Harrelson only pick up football about 8 yrs ago. He is now 48.

He trained with the world 11 for about a week. However, he was worried about his game so after practice he would go around London and ask anybody in the local parks if he could join their game  ;D

VB
surreal  :rotfl:

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »
Not exactly convincing but not terrible either

I've seen that movie, he'd play bad until his partner offers to put some money on it  :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:19:40 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vrzg7iLyONM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Vrzg7iLyONM</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »
Thanks for de vid.  Woody, Shrek, Lara, the angry chef.  That look like real fun.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 10:20:58 PM »
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06062010/2/photo/06062010175310.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/sow_experts/post/Woody-Harrelson-penalty-kick-master?urn=sow,246022

http://www.contactmusic.com/photos.nsf/main/danny_jones_2062368

A fans reaction-

Just came back from Old Trafford this evening.

The UNICEF match called Soccer Aid between England and Rest Of The World. A mixture between former Football legends and celebrities for both teams!

England had: Seaman, Shearer, Redknapp, Sheringham, Robbie Williams, Ricky Hatton... etc
ROTW: Zidane, Giggs, Larsson, Figo, Lara, Joe Calaghe, Mike Myers...etc

Zidane still has it! Amazing.

Brian Lara came on at half time. This guy was running non-stop for 45 minutes in midfield. Plyed very well. Gave a through ball to Henrik Larsson who missed.

It went to penalties and Lara slotted the first penalty for his team...I was quite surpised at the man's fitness and his ability in Football. Quite good.

Zidane, is just Zidane. He is....wow!!! No words.

Thanks Tallman..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:04:58 AM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Lara spot-on in charity match.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 05:34:20 AM »
Lara spot-on in charity match.
T&T Guardian.

West Indies cricket legend Brian Lara netted from the penalty spot in a winning effort for the Rest of the World over England‘s soccer team yesterday at Old Trafford. Lara’s exploits on the cricket field are well known, but he once wore national colours at the junior level for his native T&T.

The batting legend policed the midfield along with international stars Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo, Ryan Giggs, Heinrik Larson, and Sammi Hyppia in a holding role in the centre of the park.

A spirited second-half performance saw the Rest of the World overcome a two-goal deficit against the likes of former England greats Alan Shearer, Teddy Sherringham, and Nicky Butt, as both teams used past task masters with a heavy mix of celebrities.

Lara slipped a delightful through ball that split the tiring England backline late in the contest, but the retired Swedish international Larson did not do justice to the quality ball sending the game into the dreaded shoot-out.

With the former internationals barred from spot-kicking, the celebrities were entrusted with the onerous task. Lara showed why he wore T&T colours with his close friend Dwight Yorke, when he opened the proceedings with a crisply slotted penalty into the onion bags for the Rest of the World.

There were saves and misses, after the former West Indies captain’s strike, sending the shooto-ut to sudden death.

Woody Harrelson of “Cheers” and “White Men Can’t Jump” fame sealed the Rest of the World triumph, as he thumped in the decider with great aplomb, even though he initially was unaware of the location of the penalty spot.

The Socceraid charity match is held every two years, and the proceeds go to UNICEF, and yesterday’s match raised over 1.5 million pounds sterling. (CMC)
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 07:23:59 AM »
Thanks for de vid.  Woody, Shrek, Lara, the angry chef.  That look like real fun.

Man dat look like fun.  Wish I could have played...Lara rub sholders with some greats dey.  Wonder if he knew any of them from before?

Zidane will always be a general :beermug: :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »
...Lara rub sholders with some greats dey.  Wonder if he knew any of them from before?

Get it right.

Dem people rub shoulders wit THE GREAT BRIAN LARA!

Ah wonder if Woody Harrelson know jes who he was on de same field with?

The ONLY person on that field other than Lara who is considered to be among THE GREATEST EVER IN THEIR FIELD is Zidane.

And even Zidane not as close to being the greatest ever in football as Lara is in cricket.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:27:29 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »
...Lara rub sholders with some greats dey.  Wonder if he knew any of them from before?

Get it right.

Oh the irony....

The ONLY person on that field other than Lara who is considered to be among THE GREATEST EVER IN THEIR FIELD is Zidane.

And even Zidane not as close to being the greatest ever in football as Lara is in cricket.

Zidane cyah come around the world's greatest ping pong player either then?

Lara's successes aren't as large as winning FIFA world player of the year 3 times, winning the World Cup, Champions' league etc...

No disrespect to the world's greatest batsman, but Zidane larger than Lara dread...

not even close...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:05:20 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 12:02:27 PM »

Get it right.

Sorry man I ment greats in there own rights.  All good when it come out the wash

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 03:29:18 PM »
Look, as a Trini I will take Lara side anyday. But to say Zidane ain't that big a deal is absolutely crazy. First of all you comparing a cricketer and a footballer. The 'whole world" knows about Zidane. Not so with Brian. The cricketing countries, yes.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »

Get it right.

Oh the irony....

Zidane cyah come around the world's greatest ping pong player either then?

Lara's successes aren't as large as winning FIFA world player of the year 3 times, winning the World Cup, Champions' league etc...

No disrespect to the world's greatest batsman, but Zidane larger than Lara dread...

not even close...
So every great football player greater than lara then ,cause the list would be long .Yah wrong only men like Pele ,Ali and Jordan  even Bolt up there with him.
Maybe woody knew who Zidane was maybe not .
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:40:16 AM by Quags »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 05:16:35 PM »
Look, as a Trini I will take Lara side anyday. But to say Zidane ain't that big a deal is absolutely crazy. First of all you comparing a cricketer and a footballer. The 'whole world" knows about Zidane. Not so with Brian. The cricketing countries, yes.
Yah wrong he could walk around any town in North America ,and nobody would say hi.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »
nice one Lara

Yah wrong he could walk around any town in North America ,and nobody would say hi.
well I think there will be a few who will know who he is
There are many more footballs fan nowadays
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 05:43:29 PM »
West Coast where the hell you been hiding .

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 05:55:33 PM »
West Coast where the hell you been hiding .
been in court :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »
Allyuh mixing up popularity and field expertise.  Zidane maybe more popular than Lara around the world.  But Lara sits on a way higher pinnacle is his field of expertise than Zidane has ever sat on his.  Let me simply...Everything Zidane achieved has been achieved by many other great players in his field and the list is looong, not so in Lara's.  Lara is arguably the greatest batsman ever.  Can we say that about Zidane in his field?  Marginally at best.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
Let me simply...Everything Zidane achieved has been achieved by many other great players in his field and the list is looong

Not true.

The list of players who have won FIFA World Player of the year on 3 occasions is very short...

Popularity makes a difference in the perception of greatness because it measures how much people appreciate and recognize the ability and accomplishments.  Who is the greatest female badminton player of all time?

If Lara was from Sri Lanka we wouldn't even be having this discussion....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »
Ammmmm not to be out of place or anything...U comparing cricket to football...Right now they trying to figure out how to get crowds back into the grounds to watch cricket...lara might have all his awards and records but West Indies haven't won anything significant for awhile....Cricket today is probably played competitively by less than 12 countries but U wanna compare Lara with Zidane.....yeah right..!!!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 12:52:03 AM »
Ammmmm not to be out of place or anything...U comparing cricket to football...Right now they trying to figure out how to get crowds back into the grounds to watch cricket...lara might have all his awards and records but West Indies haven't won anything significant for awhile....Cricket today is probably played competitively by less than 12 countries but U wanna compare Lara with Zidane.....yeah right..!!!

Actually a lot more than 12 countries. Just because you don't have Test status doesn't mean Cricket isn't big in a particular country: Kenya, Afghanistan, Fiji for example.

Zidane and Lara are both legends - talk done.

There was only one black man on the field and only one cricketer - so I guess BL have some rank after all  ;)

VB

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 04:09:10 AM »
Allyuh mixing up popularity and field expertise.  Zidane maybe more popular than Lara around the world.  But Lara sits on a way higher pinnacle is his field of expertise than Zidane has ever sat on his.  Let me simply...Everything Zidane achieved has been achieved by many other great players in his field and the list is looong, not so in Lara's.  Lara is arguably the greatest batsman ever.  Can we say that about Zidane in his field?  Marginally at best.

Preacher
yuh on tuh something there...Lara is d only living human to score 400 NO and 501 NO.... no one else hasnt accomplished that...additionally he went back and break he record....  Zidane was playing with ah talented French team with likes of Henry et al.....who Lara really had to support him......(let me guess d WICBC)
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 06:07:55 AM »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »
At the end of the day, when Mandela, the Queen and Barack Obama came to Trinidad...they wanted to meet with Brian Lara, not the other way around.

U think they ever went to France and ask where Zidane is?

For every Zidane, there is a Ronalidiho, Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi.

When Lara around, there is only Tendulkar.

Try this one on for size...in a "neutral" country that plays bothe like Australia, England or India, Lara would have more admirers than Zidane. I cah put my head on a block for S. Africa cause the blacks a lil more ostracised from cricket and thus more into football, but I am sure british based will say Lara have more fans than Zidane. Maybe not as many as Rooney, but more than Zidane.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »
At the end of the day, when Mandela, the Queen and Barack Obama came to Trinidad...they wanted to meet with Brian Lara, not the other way around.

Try this one on for size...in a "neutral" country that plays bothe like Australia, England or India, Lara would have more admirers than Zidane. I cah put my head on a block for S. Africa cause the blacks a lil more ostracised from cricket and thus more into football, but I am sure british based will say Lara have more fans than Zidane. Maybe not as many as Rooney, but more than Zidane.

Lawwd...allyuh still beating up on dis topic.

I can see Palos has achieved his objective once again  ;D

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 08:10:24 AM »
Allyuh smokin if y'all tink Lara gettin d same pips as Zizou.

Lara gets real pips cuz he's done great things and Trinidad is a small island. But you really can't compare the popularity, revenue-generating capacity and impact that football has compared to cricket. How many people watch the world cup final? How many people even know that there's a world cup in cricket.

You don't see FIFA experimenting with a 20 minute football game to generate interest in the sport.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 08:12:26 AM »

Well, we should try that ... but it might complicate his relationship to the no-fly list.  :devil:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 08:15:19 AM »

Neutral yuh say? Australia? England? India? Laughable. I overs yuh point buh yuh head still on the chopping block and the guillotine dropping.

Yuh choose some unfortunate choices dey. India is not a footballing nation. Yuh would have to choose/find a nation that could honestly be described as both a footballing and cricketing nation to really approximate wha yuh trying to accomplish. Australia is not a footballing nation. Ask Pim Verbeek.

England? Hmm. Interesting ... yuh familar with the phrase 'French bastard'?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:18:45 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>