April 29, 2024, 05:02:51 AM

Author Topic: Why Africans are less successful than Caribbeans in Sprinting ?  (Read 2047 times)

AirMan

Is it just a coaching issue ?..but dont africans train in the US like alot of Caribbean athletes so coaching cant be the only factor..

I am also being specific to West African countries(Ghana, Nigeria etc.), where it has been shown the majority of Caribbean sprinters can trace back their ancestry.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:52:54 PM by AirMan »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why Africans are less successful than Caribbeans in Sprinting ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »
Why are Caribbeans less successful in Field events?  Don't they train in the US like many other Field athletes?

AirMan

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »
Why are Caribbeans less successful in Field events?  Don't they train in the US like many other Field athletes?

Well Cuba has done well in Field Events but your question will be a good thread topic
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:28:46 PM by AirMan »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »
I will say the main reason is lack of infrastructure( coaching, training facilities, management) at all levels. However I am being specific to West African countries(Ghana, Nigeria etc.), where it has been shown the majority of sprinters can trace back their ancestry.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

AirMan

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »
I will say the main reason is lack of infrastructure( coaching, training facilities, management) at all levels. However I am being specific to West African countries(Ghana, Nigeria etc.), where it has been shown the majority of sprinters can trace back their ancestry.

yes and I am beng specific to the same..In fact i will add it to my intial post..

AirMan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 06:55:15 PM »
Aviator so there are no type of youth Championships in Africa that breed young African sprinters similar to our Carifta Championships in the Caribbean ?

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 07:06:01 PM »
Aviator so there are no type of youth Championships in Africa that breed young African sprinters similar to our Carifta Championships in the Caribbean ?

There are, but only the East Africans(Kenya, Ethopia) shine on a consistent basis. From what I hear there is A LOT  of corruption in those west African countries. I have read reports form Fasuba's old coach, where Fasuba had to bribe the security guards at the gym at the national stadium to let him in to train. and one day he didn't not have enough money and they ruffed him up. Some Nigerian athletes in Beijing didn't even have their full uniforms.

** If you can't remember who Fasuba is, he is the guy that ran 9.85 behind Gatlin's 9.77WR in  that questionable race in Doha back in 2006.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 08:01:42 PM »
There is no question that anatomy, physiology, and genetics has an effect on athletic potential.  But so does opportunity and exposure. If you look at any sport you will observe that with increased access and opportunity, successful athletes emerge.  Until there is equal access and opportunity for all, it will be difficult to determine who will succeed and who won't.
Why do so many Marathoners come from Ethiopia and Kenya not their neighbors, Tanzania, Sudan and Chad?
Why does France and Germany produce so many great cyclists and none from neighbor Poland?
Why so many good tennis players from Australia, Sweden, Russia but Italy just produced their first French Open champion?
Questions not easily answered.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »

LoL

You think its Carifta that breeds young sprinters in the region?

AirMan

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »

LoL

You think its Carifta that breeds young sprinters in the region?

you took my statement out of context..obviously the sprinters were groomed before Carifta ..however carifta is the premier Caribbean youth tournament for youth athletes based in the Caribbean

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »
Hahahahaahaha

Oh really?

You need to check out Champs. Far more competitive in general.

Jamaica does not always send the best to Carifta, as we have a weird selection process and Cariftaa is the week after Champs...recovery time  is insufficient.

AirMan

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »
Hahahahaahaha

Oh really?

You need to check out Champs. Far more competitive in general.

Jamaica does not always send the best to Carifta, as we have a weird selection process and Cariftaa is the week after Champs...recovery time  is insufficient.

Champs is not a Caribbean tournament so quit making an ass out of yourself :D...who are the Carbbean countries in Champs ?..lets see how many countries can you name but instead I predict you will respond about how competitive is Champs vs Carifta  :D...I think you need to read the title of the thread again....yes Carifta is the most competitive Caribbean youth championships..
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:52:43 PM by AirMan »

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 03:37:07 AM »
Champs only open to kids in jakan schools, which includes some Caymanians and Turks youngsters.

Carifta is the only Carib. wide competition yes, but that is not my point.

Jamaica can pull out of Carifta tomorrow with zero ill effects.

AirMan

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 04:00:27 AM »
Champs only open to kids in jakan schools, which includes some Caymanians and Turks youngsters.

lol I am happy you finally decide to agree with me but you have an a serious superior jamaica complex. Seeing none of my posts was specific to jamaica but instead was general to the Caribbean you still tried to dispute me with an argument about Jamaica lol..It would be funny to see how you try to insert Jamaica in other future threads that are not specific to jamaica :D..the point you trying to make has nothing to with any of my posts that you quoted ..
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:04:06 AM by AirMan »

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »

lol I am happy you finally decide to agree with me but you have an a serious superior jamaica complex. Seeing none of my posts was specific to jamaica but instead was general to the Caribbean you still tried to dispute me with an argument about Jamaica lol..It would be funny to see how you try to insert Jamaica in other future threads that are not specific to jamaica :D..the point you trying to make has nothing to with any of my posts that you quoted ..

LoL

You seem to forget the last line of my last post. I dont need any complex, Jamaica IS clearly superior at the moment and has been for a long time. This is an objective fact. Others are finally stepping up and that is good (TnT especially). I am not afraid to say that over the last 50 years TnT football has been mostly superior, as that is demonstrably true. Not till the 1990s did jamaica pose a serious threat.

Again let me reiterate...Carifta is NOT the reason that Jamaica does well. We could pull out tomorrow and perhaps be better off. It is our sense of camaraderie and responsibility why we are there as I dont think having such a meet the week after Champs is good for junior athletic development in jamaica. Worse we had to pay US$13K for visa to Cayman this year. What a joke...plain truth and bad manners.

Besides the whole premise is wrong. Ever heard of The Ezinwa bros, Adinikenen, Obikwelu, Onyali, all those hurdles and sprinters who defected, all those quality 400m runners of both sexes...Sunday Bada, Innocent Ekbinike, etc. I could go on and on. They are in a bad patch right now, but they will be back.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:06:13 PM by willi »

1]; } ?>