April 20, 2024, 08:15:17 AM

Author Topic: Sepp Blatter: Brilliant victory, my friend Jack!  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Sepp Blatter: Brilliant victory, my friend Jack!
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:26:31 AM »
Brilliant victory, my friend Jack!
By Clint Chan Tack (T&T Newsday).

FIFA President Joseph Sepp Blatter yesterday heaped lavish praise upon his vice-president Austin Jack Warner for winning his Chaguanas West seat in the May 24 General Election and his appointment as Works and Transport Minister in the new Cabinet of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

Blatter described Warner’s re-election to Parliament as “a historic and defining moment in Trinidad and Tobago’s politics,” noting that Warner was able to obtain more than 18,000 votes, the highest number of votes obtained by any candidate in the election.

In making these comments at a recent meeting of Concacaf delegates in South Africa, Blatter also congratulated Persad-Bissessar on her election as Prime Minister and Anil Roberts on his appointment as Sports Minister.

The FIFA president’s congratulations to Persad-Bissessar and Roberts included an invitation to them to attend the 2010 World Cup Finals in South Africa. The tournament kicks off on Friday with the host nation’s Bafana Bafana team facing-off against Concacaf football powerhouse Mexico in Johannesburg’s Soccer City Stadium.

Warner is also Concacaf president and special adviser to the TT Football Federation.

Blatter’s congratulations and invitations came even as the Integrity Commission yesterday took steps to determine whether it was right for Warner to simultaneously hold the posts of Works and Transport Minister and FIFA vice-president.

The statement about Blatter’s remarks on Warner and the People’s Partnership Government were issued to the media by Warner’s communications adviser Hema Ramkissoon on a letter head that had a FIFA logo and Warner’s name and his position as vice-president.

In offering his congratulations to Warner, Blatter said, “On the occasion of your political victory, I would like to kindly extend my deepest congratulations as well as my best wishes of success. Your election victory is a vibrant testimony to your brilliant political career and represents the desire to assist the people of your beautiful country to strengthen the cultural and educational values within the society of TT further.

“I am certain that you will take this responsibility and that you will rise to the challenge to continue building a better future for TT. It gives me great pleasure to wish you all success for the challenges ahead. I know that you have been appointed Minister of Works and Transport. My friend Jack, you will continue to break any imaginable barrier this life has to offer.”

Blatter last visited Trinidad in September 2008, when the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation celebrated its 100th anniversary.

In 2004, Blatter was here for the visit of former South African president Nelson Mandela, who was invited to Trinidad by Warner.

Blatter first came to Trinidad in 1998, when he was FIFA vice president under Joao Havelange, the then FIFA vice-president and Warner was Concacaf president for the FIFA World Under-17 Championship. The FIFA boss may make another trip to this country this September, when Trinidad and Tobago hosts the FIFA World Under-17 Women’s Championship.

Warner, who is the longest serving FIFA vice-president, thanked Blatter but said his victory was not about him but about the accomplishment of the people of TT. Warner continued to insist that he can function as FIFA vice-president and Works Minister.

As he noted the challenges which the Government will face in the future and expressed confidence that it will succeed, Warner said despite his distance in South Africa, he has been liasing with his permanent secretary and his ministry officials on a daily basis to ensure projects initiated last week continue as planned. The statement said Warner will return home from South Africa on Sunday “to continue his ministerial duties.”

While Blatter said he awaited a response from Persad-Bissessar and Roberts about attending the World Cup Finals, neither the Prime Minister nor Roberts are likely to accept Blatter’s invitation until after the Parliament is convened on June 18.

On Monday, Persad-Bissessar said no government minister will proceed on foreign travel until after the Parliament is convened and they were sworn in as parliamentarians. Persad-Bissessar said Warner’s presence is due to his prior commitments as FIFA vice-president before last month’s general election.

Integrity Commission chairman Eric St Cyr yesterday confirmed receipt of Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley’s letter in which Rowley is asking the commission to indicate whether it was appropriate for Warner to serve as Works and Transport Minister while retaining his post as FIFA vice-president. “The letter reached me just a half an hour ago and I have completed reading it,” St Cyr told Newsday.

He said the commission will take a thorough look at the issues raised by Rowley and will present its opinion in due course. “We are going to address it,” St Cyr stated. However St Cyr could not say how long that process would take or if it might involve requesting some information from Warner on the matters which Rowley spoke about in his letter.
Russian sports mimister promises support for T&T following meeting with Warner.
By: H.Ramkisson (TTFF Media).

Sport is considered to be a vehicle for social transformation, and this country’s sporting programmes may be receiving an unexpected boost following a pledge from one of the World’s leading nations in sport, Russia.

The Russian Minister of Sport Vitaly Mutko has pledged to assist Trinidad and Tobago and the wider Caribbean with development programmes in sport.

Minister Mutko made pledge to this country following an informal meeting with FIFA Vice President Jack Warner in Johannesbug , South Africa last night.

Russia is considered a Leader in the World of Sport and while discussions are at an early stage, Mutko says he is eager to work with this country in any way possible.

Warner, who is the most senior Vice President of the FIFA, described the meeting as a positive step.

“ I am in South Africa for only a short time , this pledge is entirely unexpected and I look forward to seeing how this development materializes . I am only an unexpected facilitator in this process; I will pass the mantle on to our capable Minister of Sports Anil Roberts to continue discussions with his Russian counterpart on this matter.

At this time, I am listening to all that is being said about my international affiliations and I welcome all to critically examine my life. I have said it on numerous occasions I have no secrets.

At this time if my international office can be used to benefit Trinidad & Tobago and the citizens of this nation then so be it. I have dedicated my life to serving the people of my great land and I will continue to do that no matter what office I hold.”

The International Figure in football, who is also a Government Minister in Trinidad and Tobago, went on to add,

“On May 24th social change commenced in Trinidad & Tobago, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride.

You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore. We have promised the people of this nation a brighter future, we pledge partnership amongst our people, we must now pledge partnerships with the nations of this world if we have to succeed and advance.”.

The Russian Minster of Sport who like Warner, is also an Executive Member of the FIFA extended another invitation to the CONCACAF President to visit Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

In April of this year, Warner declined an invitation from Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin to attend a special reception in Warner’s honour.

The FIFA Vice President explained to the Russian Leader then that he had a duty to the people of his nation during the election campaign of 2010 and hoped to secure a better future for his fellow countrymen.

Warner has cut short his trip to Africa and will return to Trinidad early next week to attend the opening of Parliament and to fulfill his Ministerial duties.

The Works and Transport Minister has already implemented a number of projects in his Ministry aimed at alleviating flooding, traffic congestion and others matters under his portfolio.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:48:39 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

AirMan

Re: Sepp Blatter: Brilliant victory, my friend Jack!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 05:29:46 AM »
I wonder if Andrew Jennings will update his report with these comments from Blatter  lol..

see this thread..http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=49452.0

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:23:27 AM »
I wonder if Jack is write these letters himself and just put a stamp from Sepp or say it come from the office of Sepp Blatter?

Remember he always used to write congratulatory letters from TTFF to himself...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »
say wha ?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 06:11:28 AM »
Make a choice, Jack.
By: Kimberly Mackhan (Guardian).

Jack Warner must make a choice between keeping his position as a Fifa vice-president, or serving as Trinidad and Tobago’s Works and Transport Minister.In a three-page, faxed press release yesterday, the Integrity Commission said the Code of Ethics for parliamentarians, including ministers, required that “Cabinet ministers divest themselves of their private interests upon their assumption of public office.”

It also listed six sections of the Integrity in Public Life Act Code of Conduct, which addressed areas related to a possible or perceived conflict of interest among people falling under the Act. The Integrity Commission concluded: “The commission is of the view that all persons in public life who offer themselves for Cabinet posts should so organise their affairs in order that there be no breach of the aforementioned Code of Conduct or the Code of Ethics.”

Although the Integrity Commission made no direct call for Warner to choose between the two positions, it said: “The question whether Mr Austin Jack Warner should properly be a member of the Cabinet of the Government of Trinidad and Tobago while continuing to serve as vice-president of Fifa is actively in the public sphere and has been brought to the attention of the Integrity Commission.”

Warner, 67, has been a member of the Fifa executive committee since 1983. He has been Concacaf president since 1990. His presidential term would end in 2011. The commission explained that it was responsible for “the regulation of the conduct of persons exercising public functions, and, for preserving and promoting the integrity of public officials and institutions.”

It added that it executed its responsibilities through the application of the Code of Conduct specified in the Integrity in Public Life Act, which governed people in public life. The commission made reference to Section 29 (1) of the Code of Conduct, which stated: “For the purposes of this Act, a conflict of interest is deemed to arise if a person in public life or any person exercising a public function were to make or participate in the making of a decision in the execution of his office and at the same time knows or ought reasonably to have known, that in the making of the decision, there is an opportunity either directly or indirectly to further his private interests or that of a member of his family or any other person.”

It also noted Section 29 (2) of the Code of Conduct, which stated: “Where there is a possible or perceived conflict of interest, a person to whom this part applies, shall disclose his interest in accordance with prescribed procedures and disqualify himself from any decision-making process.”

Concerns about Warner serving as both a Fifa vice-president and Trinidad and Tobago’s Works and Transport Minister were first raised by Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley last Friday. Rowley explained that he had “no doubt that Mr Warner is a very capable and hard working gentleman, who has good vision and he is an asset to us in Trinidad and Tobago at the FIFA desk,” but he had “some serious concerns about the propriety of a minister of government of Trinidad and Tobago holding executive authority in an organisation, local or foreign.”

Warner dismissed Rowley’s concerns and noted that several members of Fifa also served in foreign ministerial and political posts.

Among these included the chairman of the party in Korea and the German Minister of Finance. Warner added that “the fact that I am a member of those two organisations is a credit to Trinidad and Tobago and the Caribbean.”

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said she needed to read the Integrity Commission’s statement before offering a comment.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:58:44 AM »
jack is 67...wow..he does look good for dat 67 boy...

just goes to show...having a challenge keeps u healthy
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 08:06:45 AM »

What dey say bout vampires?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »

Jackula keeps as young as the number of victims he can suck divided by the number of positions he can hold at the same time!! Its called the eternal life formula! :devil:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:59:46 AM »

Jackula keeps as young as the number of victims he can suck divided by the number of positions he can hold at the same time!! Its called the eternal life formula! :devil:

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:30:03 AM »
Yuh know what, enter another personality and this likely would be a non-issue. There would be little discussion on the matter.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »
listen to this waggonist talk on 91.9fm about JW when he doesn't really know about JW.  Weary call in and educate this man please  :devil:. http://www.gnxnetwork.com/soca919/soca.asx

ON AIR NUMBERS
648-1012
648-0091
622-9154
628-2126

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »
listen to this waggonist talk on 91.9fm about JW when he doesn't really know about JW.  Weary call in and educate this man please  :devil:. http://www.gnxnetwork.com/soca919/soca.asx

ON AIR NUMBERS
648-1012
648-0091
622-9154
628-2126

What he said missed us.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 06:42:43 PM »
Yuh know what, enter another personality and this likely would be a non-issue. There would be little discussion on the matter.

Thank yuh... this whole thing so petty.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 07:26:14 PM »
WAIT ...is not FIFA who say they doh tolerate government intervention in football ? so is how come Blatter could make political statements concerning T&T politics ? He does do dat in Brazil ? Venezuela ? USA ?
what FIFA does kyah come under scrutiny now ...not in the CONCACAF region ...not in the 33 seats region ...
When Blatter time come he know warner will be in his corner ......a big minister of goverment an ting !
Anil get invitation to de world cup ...Kamla too ...I in de wrong wuk yes .
waka waka A..A...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »
WAIT ...is not FIFA who say they doh tolerate government intervention in football ? so is how come Blatter could make political statements concerning T&T politics ? He does do dat in Brazil ? Venezuela ? USA ?
what FIFA does kyah come under scrutiny now ...not in the CONCACAF region ...not in the 33 seats region ...
When Blatter time come he know warner will be in his corner ......a big minister of goverment an ting !
waka waka A..A...

So what wrong with Blatter congratulating Jack?  Allyuh does complain fuh de sake of complaining boy... jeez.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »
waka waka A..A...

So what wrong with Blatter congratulating Jack?  Allyuh does complain fuh de sake of complaining boy... jeez.

If you read the original post and all you get from it  is Blatter congratulating Jack then you may have missed the forest for the trees. Read it again and see if you do not see anything else. Baltter also mentioned the president and sports minister ...is that customary ? ...we have a world cup tournament here later this year No ? ...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
If you read the original post and all you get from it  is Blatter congratulating Jack then you may have missed the forest for the trees. Read it again and see if you do not see anything else. Baltter also mentioned the president and sports minister ...is that customary ? ...we have a world cup tournament here later this year No ? ...

There isn't even a tree there... let alone a forest.  Did Blatter step in during the election and endorse anybody?  That would be "interfering" in politics.  At best this is a perfunctory courtesy congratulation extended to a new government... at worst is Sepp congratuating he pardna.  Big deal. 

This is a prime example of how people in Trinidad could be in the dark about Jack and he bobol.  The real corruption allegations does get lost in de ole noise allyuh does be raising about Warner.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 04:43:47 AM »

There isn't even a tree there... let alone a forest.  Did Blatter step in during the election and endorse anybody?  That would be "interfering" in politics.  At best this is a perfunctory courtesy congratulation extended to a new government... at worst is Sepp congratuating he pardna.  Big deal. 

This is a prime example of how people in Trinidad could be in the dark about Jack and he bobol.  The real corruption allegations does get lost in de ole noise allyuh does be raising about Warner.

This is not the first time for this scenario you see ,dats why people could jump to certain conclusions ...as they used to say ...for those who came in late ... Lets scroll back a bit ...

Blatter got Jack's endorsement and votes to keep his Presidency .... Come world cup in T&T and a new government ...Jack buys Scarlet Ibis hotel ....Jack renovates hotel .... New government agrees to fund construction of several stadia around the country ...a company called W construction is formed to build these stadia ....warner construction ... Jack claims his company would get FIFA approval before any competitor as he knows the  FIFA specifications ....big money parse !
add to that Jack renovated hotel for accomadation  ...jack food company to feed players , jack son company for communication, travel agency ...package deals , tv rights ..etc.

Jack and the then PM were buddies then .... Jack even took the bail for his wife when both she and her husband were before the court on corruption charges ...

scroll forward now ....new government in power ...jack and Pm are buddies ..jack Blatter's support and endorsement ...jack is on Blatter's side with his 33 votes next election ....youth world cup in Trinidad and Tobago coming later this year ...jack is appointed Minister of construction ...ooops ..works !! same thing ...see any similarities yet ?
Dat is why some of us old ones are sceptical ...doh vex ....is just that we have lived long enough to have seen this movie already ..so we know how it ends .

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 05:05:32 AM »
AG calls in top legal minds
By Clint Chan Tack Friday, June 11 2010

GOVERNMENT will seek the advice of three eminent legal counsels to determine whether Jack Warner should simultaneously hold the posts of Minister of Works and Transport and FIFA vice-president, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan announced yesterday, on the eve of today’s opening of the 2010 World Cup Finals in South Africa which Warner is currently attending.

Addressing the post-Cabinet news conference at the Prime Minister’s Office in St Clair, Ramlogan said in light of the Integrity Commission’s statement that all Cabinet Ministers should organise their affairs so they conform with the Code of Conduct of the Integrity in Public Life Act, he has asked Warner “to get clarification on the exact terms and conditions which govern his position (as FIFA vice-president).”

In addition, Ramlogan decided to seek external legal advice from former PNM attorney general (AG) Russell Martineau, former Guyana AG Sir Fenton Ramsahoye QC and British barrister Sir Michael Beloff before he further advises the Cabinet on Warner’s situation. All three legal counsels will be paid accordingly by the Government. Ramlogan hoped to be able to advise Cabinet on how to treat with Warner when it meets next Thursday.

While commending the commission for its “unprecedented expedition” in treating with Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley’s query regarding Warner, Ramlogan urged the commission to act “with similar speed” in dealing with other outstanding complaints before it. These include an October 9, 2008 complaint against Acting Police Commissioner James Philbert regarding permission for a public demonstration in Woodford Square on September 12, 2008 while a no-confidence motion against then Prime Minister Patrick Manning was taking place in Parliament; a June 5, 2009 complaint against former AG John Jeremie about the disclosure of an Integrity Commission report about Rowley; a February 2009 complaint about alleged insider trading by former finance minister Karen Nunez-Tesheira regarding the Clico bailout and one in February regarding construction of the Lighthouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Heights of Guanapo.”

For the commission to prevent itself from being perceived as politically biased, Ramlogan said, “The Integrity Commission should provide the nation, in a comprehensive listing, with every allegation that has been made and the status of the investigation in these complaints by the Integrity Commission.”

Ramlogan said the commission must state whether or not Rowley had been vindicated in the Landate matter. Rowley had successfully challenged the Integrity Commission’s determination of an allegation in relation to the Landate housing development in Tobago, owned by Rowley’s wife Sharon, in the High Court which ruled Rowley had been denied the right to be heard.

Ramlogan said the commission’s report on Landate should be made public so “proper vindication and true public justice can take place”. He said if the investigation into Landate was either closed or shelved because of a misunderstanding of the court’s ruling, the commission “must reopen that matter and bring it to its closure in accordance to the principles of natural justice so that the rule of law can prevail.”

“There cannot be one rule for Dr Keith Rowley and another rule for Jack Warner,” Ramlogan declared. Rowley last night said it was up to Ramlogan to decide how to use his time. On the AG’s reference to Landate, Rowley said that matter was in the past. “I have nothing to do with that.”

Despite concerns about the status of the investigation of complaints before the commission, Government has no plans at this time to make any amendments to the Integrity in Public Life Act. However Ramlogan noted, “This is a very critical piece of legislation which may need to be reviewed at the appropriate time.”

Referring to the 1988 Code of Ethics for Parliamentarians which the commission mentioned in its statement, he said, “This is a matter that would need careful consideration in light of the modern realities that we face in 2010.”

Responding to Ramlogan last night, the commission said all it was asked to do was to clarify the Code of Conduct in the Integrity Act. Last night, senior counsels Martin Daly and Dana Seetahal also said Warner had not broken any code as far as they could determine. Daly is president of the Law Association.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 06:11:55 AM »

This is not the first time for this scenario you see ,dats why people could jump to certain conclusions ...as they used to say ...for those who came in late ... Lets scroll back a bit ...

Blatter got Jack's endorsement and votes to keep his Presidency .... Come world cup in T&T and a new government ...Jack buys Scarlet Ibis hotel ....Jack renovates hotel .... New government agrees to fund construction of several stadia around the country ...a company called W construction is formed to build these stadia ....warner construction ... Jack claims his company would get FIFA approval before any competitor as he knows the  FIFA specifications ....big money parse !
add to that Jack renovated hotel for accomadation  ...jack food company to feed players , jack son company for communication, travel agency ...package deals , tv rights ..etc.

Jack and the then PM were buddies then .... Jack even took the bail for his wife when both she and her husband were before the court on corruption charges ...

scroll forward now ....new government in power ...jack and Pm are buddies ..jack Blatter's support and endorsement ...jack is on Blatter's side with his 33 votes next election ....youth world cup in Trinidad and Tobago coming later this year ...jack is appointed Minister of construction ...ooops ..works !! same thing ...see any similarities yet ?
Dat is why some of us old ones are sceptical ...doh vex ....is just that we have lived long enough to have seen this movie already ..so we know how it ends .
well said Jai John
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »

GOVERNMENT will seek the advice of three eminent legal counsels to determine whether Jack Warner should simultaneously hold the posts of Minister of Works and Transport and FIFA vice-president, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan announced yesterday, on the eve of today’s opening of the 2010 World Cup Finals in South Africa which Warner is currently attending.

Addressing the post-Cabinet news conference at the Prime Minister’s Office in St Clair, Ramlogan said in light of the Integrity Commission’s statement that all Cabinet Ministers should organise their affairs so they conform with the Code of Conduct of the Integrity in Public Life Act, he has asked Warner “to get clarification on the exact terms and conditions which govern his position (as FIFA vice-president).”

In addition, Ramlogan decided to seek external legal advice from former PNM attorney general (AG) Russell Martineau, former Guyana AG Sir Fenton Ramsahoye QC and British barrister Sir Michael Beloff before he further advises the Cabinet on Warner’s situation. All three legal counsels will be paid accordingly by the Government. Ramlogan hoped to be able to advise Cabinet on how to treat with Warner when it meets next Thursday.

While commending the commission for its “unprecedented expedition” in treating with Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley’s query regarding Warner, Ramlogan urged the commission to act “with similar speed” in dealing with other outstanding complaints before it. These include an October 9, 2008 complaint against Acting Police Commissioner James Philbert regarding permission for a public demonstration in Woodford Square on September 12, 2008 while a no-confidence motion against then Prime Minister Patrick Manning was taking place in Parliament; a June 5, 2009 complaint against former AG John Jeremie about the disclosure of an Integrity Commission report about Rowley; a February 2009 complaint about alleged insider trading by former finance minister Karen Nunez-Tesheira regarding the Clico bailout and one in February regarding construction of the Lighthouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Heights of Guanapo.”

For the commission to prevent itself from being perceived as politically biased, Ramlogan said, “The Integrity Commission should provide the nation, in a comprehensive listing, with every allegation that has been made and the status of the investigation in these complaints by the Integrity Commission.”

Ramlogan said the commission must state whether or not Rowley had been vindicated in the Landate matter. Rowley had successfully challenged the Integrity Commission’s determination of an allegation in relation to the Landate housing development in Tobago, owned by Rowley’s wife Sharon, in the High Court which ruled Rowley had been denied the right to be heard.

Ramlogan said the commission’s report on Landate should be made public so “proper vindication and true public justice can take place”. He said if the investigation into Landate was either closed or shelved because of a misunderstanding of the court’s ruling, the commission “must reopen that matter and bring it to its closure in accordance to the principles of natural justice so that the rule of law can prevail.”

“There cannot be one rule for Dr Keith Rowley and another rule for Jack Warner,” Ramlogan declared. Rowley last night said it was up to Ramlogan to decide how to use his time. On the AG’s reference to Landate, Rowley said that matter was in the past. “I have nothing to do with that.”

Despite concerns about the status of the investigation of complaints before the commission, Government has no plans at this time to make any amendments to the Integrity in Public Life Act. However Ramlogan noted, “This is a very critical piece of legislation which may need to be reviewed at the appropriate time.”

Referring to the 1988 Code of Ethics for Parliamentarians which the commission mentioned in its statement, he said, “This is a matter that would need careful consideration in light of the modern realities that we face in 2010.”

Responding to Ramlogan last night, the commission said all it was asked to do was to clarify the Code of Conduct in the Integrity Act. Last night, senior counsels Martin Daly and Dana Seetahal also said Warner had not broken any code as far as they could determine. Daly is president of the Law Association.

how can a lawyer decide on matters of integrity ? Surely lawyers are expected to uphold the law. the attorney general is wasting money trying to find out what de whole ah woodford square don know...it eh have no law saying dat it illegal for jack or any other to hold cabinet post and be a member of any other org.... I telling him now for free. why have an integrity commission if after they make a ruling you could come and say ...it eh have a law against that ?
there is no law against Human trafficking in T&T ...nobody can be charged for trafficking in humans in T&T ...so all ah we could do it not so ?? so what keeps us from doing it ? police ? or something else ?
that is why laws are changed ...when they become irrelevant ...but one's integrity is usually what defines a person ...not how much money ...or how well connected you are.
How many millions does Mandela have in the bank ? what was the size of ghandi's estate when he died ?
people like mother theresa will live forever in the mind's of people ...integrity ?? ...it eh cheap and you cant buy it ...you either have it ..or you dont ..we kyar legislate it either .
I have a clear solution yes ...if de goverment want warner to hold de minister wuk ...pass a law saying it ok ...dais all.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »

ON AIR NUMBERS
648-1012
648-0091
622-9154
628-2126

What he said missed us.
a presenter name Skippy sounded like one of the people who have no idea of football or how fifa is run, and absolutely messing stories  of the good and bad of jw history.  He talk then done when someone called him later and fixed him up

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »

Maybe you wrote all of that for West Coast's benefit... or your own.  But you might want to check your sources before you start throwing around terms like "new" and "old".  What's that saying... "assumption is the mother of all f**k ups"?  

All you've said there is that Jack has been involved in corruption.  And in other news man bites dog.  If you have an argument that helps prove your case that Sepp's "interfering" in TnT politics then fee free to share it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »

Why are the people of Trinidad and Tobago paying public funds to find out whether Jack could keep he two wuk??  Why isn't Jack or the UNC footing this bill?  steups

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 03:58:42 AM »
JACK CLEARED
AG's legal experts say Works Minister has broken no law with two jobs
Ria Taitt Political Editor

Jack Warner can keep his two posts.

His is free to pursue both his position as Works and Transport Minister in the People’s Partnership administration and Vice-President of Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA).

This is the considered opinion of four eminent Senior Counsel who were engaged by Attorney General Anand Ramlogan to advise him in this matter.

Former president Sir Ellis Clarke, former attorney general Russell Martineau, Caribbean jurist Fenton Ramsahoye QC and British QC Michael Beloff in separate opinions found that there was nothing illegal and they did not appear to see any clear conflict of interest between the two jobs.

At yesterday post-Cabinet media conference at the Office of the Prime Minister in St Clair, Ramlogan released the opinions to the media.

Clarke commented that the Integrity Commission in presenting its position on the matter achieved brevity, but that brevity was obtained ’at the expense of accuracy’.

He noted that the Commission’s release stated: ’This Code (of Ethics for Parliamentarians including Ministers and parliamentary secretaries) requires that Cabinet ministers divest themselves of their private interests upon their assumption of public office’. However, Clarke pointed out that the Code provides: ’Ministers should resign directorships in public companies, but they may retain directorships in private companies under specified conditions.’

Furthermore, Sir Ellis stated that the functions of the FIFA Vice-President were ’mainly ceremonial’ and did not fall within the very Sections a, b and c of the Code.

Clarke noted that in the ’overheated but not enlightened discussion on the matter’ reference was often made to a ’conflict of interest’. Defining what constituted a conflict of interest under the Code of Conduct in the Integrity in Public Life, he said: ’It is difficult to see how a conflict of interest is likely to arise as a result of a Cabinet Minister being a Vice President of FIFA’.

Martineau’s opinion was that there was not legal prohibition on Warner from holding both offices. ’The question of whether Mr Warner is in breach of the Code of Conduct under the (Integrity in Public Life) Act or the Code of Ethics for Parliamentarians including Ministers will depend on the extent to which he is required to devote his time and effort to the Executive Committee and other Committees (of FIFA) (and to CONCACAF) in disregard of his ministerial duties,’ he said.

Martineau also noted that the Code of Ethics for Parliamentarians does not have the force of law and only has ethical or moral effect. ’It is enforceable by the House of Representatives, to the extent that it is enforceable at all,’ he said. Martineau said the Prime Minister may be called upon to make a judgment on Warner’s performance as a minister and the effect his position on FIFA has on his ministerial performance. ’For that judgment she is accountable to Parliament and the public,’ he said.

He concluded by saying that ’as a general principle ’ Warner should not allow himself to pursue his interest in FIFA to the extent where it occupies any portion of the time which he is required to devote to his ministerial duties in disregard of those duties’.

Ramsahoye stated that it was ’not easy to see how the position of Minister of Works...can be compromised by the functions of the Vice-President of FIFA.’ He said Warner’s election as Vice-President of FIFA was an honour for Trinidad and Tobago and his connections in the promotion of football were likely to benefit the country.

Beloff said he was unaware of any precedent in any common law jurisdiction for a person holding at one and the same time, ministerial office and another post outside of the Government. ’I have little doubt that a main reason is that the demands of ministerial office would usually preclude such dual appointment and the minister could be exposed to criticism for not devoting himself full-time to his government duties’. He noted that if a Prime Minister was content that the demands of the outside post do not impair the effective discharge by the Minister of his ministerial duties, the Prime Minister can properly retain him and defend that judgment in the political arena.

On the issue of possible conflict of interest, Beloff said: ’It is difficult to visualise a situation in which Mr Warner’s ministerial position could be used to advance FIFA’s interest improperly (or indeed at all)’. He added if this happened, ’the sufficient solution would be for him to absent himself from any decision-making process involving FIFA’s interest’.

Beloff, however, noted with respect to the Code of Ethics, ’I doubt Mr Warner’s FIFA position is a private interest of the kind envisaged by the Ethics Code at all...I therefore conclude that there is nothing in the law of the Republic or the Ethics Code to require Mr Warner to resign from his unpaid part time role with FIFA...consequent upon his appointment to the Cabinet’.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Russia to Finance T&T Football Development?
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 04:32:17 PM »
So I appears we may have a russian coach next. The russians dealing with jack for their WC bid. How will this help AIA, Rangers, SouthEnd, NE stars. If Gasprom and them Russian companies want to sponsor(fully) club or clubs. They have my support.   But if they send coaches to do clinics and more seminars at the Centre of Excellence, blow way!!!!!!!! Club football  is what needs improving. It needs money. The gov't already sponsors teams, DF,Police, Fire Services, Prisons, Wasa, Flour Mills, Petrotrin. Where is BP, Ispat and all them Pt. Lisas companies?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 07:51:06 PM »
So I appears we may have a russian coach next. The russians dealing with jack for their WC bid. How will this help AIA, Rangers, SouthEnd, NE stars. If Gasprom and them Russian companies want to sponsor(fully) club or clubs. They have my support.   But if they send coaches to do clinics and more seminars at the Centre of Excellence, blow way!!!!!!!! Club football  is what needs improving. It needs money. The gov't already sponsors teams, DF,Police, Fire Services, Prisons, Wasa, Flour Mills, Petrotrin. Where is BP, Ispat and all them Pt. Lisas companies?

thats what i mean, where are these companies, for years they are making profits but no sponsorship to football, our 2nd largest sport. this is what i say when the private sector must get involved and a business plan to take our football forward needs to be implemented.

1]; } ?>