March 29, 2024, 03:53:01 AM

Author Topic: Daughter of Sikhs on track to be governor  (Read 14389 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Daughter of Sikhs on track to be governor
« on: June 09, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »
Bobby Jindal break the mould,,Interesting how the children of immigrants from India makin roads into some of the 'redneckiest' states

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jVGOp2bl5_prbLYsoPOvD96f55bgD9G7NNL00

they does hadda change up dey name an ting but still.....

Haley weathers tryst accusations in SC gov race
By JIM DAVENPORT (AP) – 2 hours ago

COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina's Nikki Haley entered a runoff for the Republican gubernatorial primary with a substantial edge over her GOP rival, deflecting attacks on her marriage and her ethnicity using an antiestablishment message that resonated with the state's voters.

"We saw us push against the establishment, we saw us push against the power and push against the money and boy did they push back," Haley, a three-term state lawmaker and tea party headliner, said after narrowly failing to win the four-way race outright.

Hoping to become the state's first female nominee for governor from a major party, Haley captured 49 percent of the vote to U.S. Rep. Gresham Barrett's 22 percent. A majority of the vote was needed to avoid the June 22 runoff.

The winner will face state Sen. Vincent Sheheen, a Democrat who won his party's primary over two rivals.

Haley told supporters gathered in the state capital that the label "Republican" isn't good enough and needs to be backed by true conservative action.

"South Carolina was settling for a Republican House, a Republican Senate and a Republican governor, I won't stop until we get a conservative House," she said as supporters cheered.

Within an hour of Haley's speech, the head of the Republican Governors Association proclaimed her the party's nominee in a statement that failed to acknowledge Barrett, a three-term congressman.

"The voters of South Carolina made a clear choice in Nikki Haley, notwithstanding the possibility of a runoff. The outcome is all but certain," said Executive Director Nick Ayers. "Moreover, receiving half of the votes against two other statewide incumbent Republicans and a sitting Congressman speaks volumes of her strength as a candidate and bodes very well for her in the General Election."

The statement was a quick indicator of the pressure Barrett may face to bow out of the contest, but Barrett campaign consultant Terry Sullivan said it was the Washington-based group that should back away from the race.

"As much as people from South Carolina appreciate folks from Washington, D.C., telling us how we need to do things down here, we've got a race to run," Sullivan said. "It's a two-week-long runoff."

"Gresham Barrett is 100 percent geared up and hitting the ground running," he said.

Haley's achievement comes a year after outgoing, term-limited Republican Gov. Mark Sanford embroiled the state in scandal by admitting to skipping out of the country to rendezvous with his mistress in Argentina.

She was unaffected by unproven claims of affairs leveled by a political blogger and by a lobbyist who worked for a rival campaign.

"The one thing we noticed, we were 'Nikki Who' about six weeks ago. And then all of a sudden it showed we had double-digit lead in the polls, and then we had everything but the kitchen sink thrown at us. And our opponents got together, they threw as much distractions as they could, but we stayed very determined," Haley said Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Shortly after those accusations, which she denied, the married mother of two also had to face being called a "raghead" — a derogatory term for people of Middle Eastern or Indian descent — by one opponent's backer. The daughter of Sikh immigrants, she would be the nation's second governor of Indian-American descent.

Haley knocked South Carolina's attorney general and lieutenant governor out of a race for which they'd been preparing for years. It was Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer's backer who used the slur.

Haley blamed an entrenched "Good Old Boy" system for conspiring to derail a campaign that gained steam with a slew of television ads and a spirited endorsement by former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. She pivoted off the claims to underscore an antiestablishment message that has so far resonated.

Haley's politics are familiar to the state's conservative voters. She hews to the Libertarian, limited government policies favored by Sanford, though she distanced herself from him. He backed her candidacy and she won the endorsement of his ex-wife, popular former first lady Jenny Sanford.
[/url]

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:56:10 AM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Daughter of Sikhs on track to be governor
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »
Well, one element of the 'formula' is certain: 'change' yuh name and convert to Christianity.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:46:57 AM »
Well, one element of the 'formula' is certain: 'change' yuh name and convert to Christianity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Haley

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »
born Nimrata Randhawa
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »

maybe manning shoulda try dat!

instead ah patrick manning he coulda call he self Assholoo Kakaholo

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »
and they all selling out and on the republican ticket.

the house n*gger lives on!

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
Indian-Americans are on the move.

Just today I was reading this article about their increased presence on television.  and that's not even counting the domination of the spelling bee.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:21:02 PM »
and they all selling out and on the republican ticket.

the house n*gger lives on!

Why they have to be "house n*gger" juss because they vote Republican?  Leh at least try and be intelligent about what we saying nah man.  JC Watts among others was no house n*gger... having black Republicans is a very good thing whether you realize that or not. 

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 08:33:10 PM »
I'm not surprised by the Indians entering the political arena on the Republican side they tend towards the conservative viewpoint.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:44:31 PM »
But they aren't really achieving anything if they have to change their name religion in order to be successful...They are not really changing mindsets or perceptions if you ask me..!!! Barack Hussein Obama won the election..PPl accepted him in his entirety...what are ppl accepting when someone's name is safe as Nikki Haley? That name whiter than Paris Hilton..!!! She didn't win the election, her name did..!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:28:52 AM »
But they aren't really achieving anything if they have to change their name religion in order to be successful...They are not really changing mindsets or perceptions if you ask me..!!! Barack Hussein Obama won the election..PPl accepted him in his entirety...what are ppl accepting when someone's name is safe as Nikki Haley? That name whiter than Paris Hilton..!!! She didn't win the election, her name did..!!!

This is my beef !! thank yuh ! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 04:54:04 AM »

The highlighted is nonsense... first off you don't know that the 'have' to change anything.

Secondly, them changing name and religion does in no way negate their accomplishments, they not changing their race which is apparent to all.

Thirdly, even if they change their names/religions... that is their business. 

Fourthly, Barack Husein Obama is a singular personality... you can't say just because Obama did it everybody can do it.  That's akin to saying "there's no more racism anymore... if Obama in de white house what allyuh darker-skinned people have to complain about again?"

I'm sure you see how silly that line of argument goes.  About the only thing sillier is your assertion that people voted for her because of her name... what the other white candidates didn't have white Christian names too?

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 05:15:55 AM »

The highlighted is nonsense... first off you don't know that the 'have' to change anything.

Secondly, them changing name and religion does in no way negate their accomplishments, they not changing their race which is apparent to all.

Thirdly, even if they change their names/religions... that is their business. 

I could not agree with you more.

Bobby is actually Gov. Jindal nickname which dates to his childhood identification with the sitcom character. He has said, "Every day after school, I'd come home and I'd watch The Brady Bunch. And I identified with Bobby, you know? He was about my age, and 'Bobby' stuck." He has been known by his nickname ever since, though his legal name remains Piyush Jindal.

Maybe I should not have doubted hime when during his rebuff to the President's address he spoke of his dad calling him Bobby.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 07:44:32 AM »
Ah tink yuh playin devils advocate....granted dey mighta call him bobby from small but yuh cyah deny
de people and dem change dey to make the names more palatable or less "furrin"...especially in them banjo playin states
 good ole boys doh like too much ah syllables to twiss up dey tongue

I simply find it interesting that they makin inroads into confederate flag flappin southern states as opposed to northern ones where the indian immigrant populations tend to be more visible
but as usual men does twiss threads to vent out dey own agenda.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 08:26:57 AM »
Ah tink yuh playin devils advocate....granted dey mighta call him bobby from small but yuh cyah deny
de people and dem change dey to make the names more palatable or less "furrin"...especially in them banjo playin states

For example I have a partner name Satyaveda and over the last 20 years  I seen his name transition to simply Veda because it was easier to say, almost no-one would know who Satyaveda is but then again he spent most of his time in the Carolinas.

So for Jindal case as he works his your way up the political ladder, should he use his birth name or the name everyone know him by. I could see it now.

"Hey remember to vote for Piyush come election."
Pewweee ??? who is that ?
Yuh know  Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health , Bobby
Oh yeah did some good wrk restoring Meicaid
Yeah i could vote for him."

For practical purposes he would used the name everyone knows him by so they voters can identify the they are voting (Bill Clinton v,s William Jefferson Clinton).
Plus the added benefit of having a more American name. Not sure about mrs haley stories though.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:33:54 AM by trinindian »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 10:25:59 AM »
So yuh feel he din come up with Bobby out of convenience?

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »

No quite the contrary, he uses Bobby, because it is convient most people knows him as Bobby.

Step back from the political world, in corporate world there are many examples off people going by names other than their birth names simply because communication is easier, or they are simply tired of havng them name butchered by people who cannot pronuce it.  Would we question them as being sell outs. NO because you do what is necessary to get the job. Like the indian guy who picks up the phone when you call the help desk and says with an american accent "hello my name is paul and I will be happy to help you with your PC."

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »
TV, internet, online blogs, rado, papers etc.  All of the banjo players know she is ah damn rag head....dais waht dey call she...regardless of the name!  point moot!

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »
http://madamenoire.com/3601/is-kamala-harris-the-new-obama/
This woman have a kinda sex appeal boi...Even better that she a dougla...LOL

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »
http://madamenoire.com/3601/is-kamala-harris-the-new-obama/
This woman have a kinda sex appeal boi...Even better that she a dougla...LOL

H-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »

What type of "convenience" we talking about though? Assuming he's being honest about adopting the name "as a child"... one could arguably ascribe only honest intentions behind it.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »

I simply find it interesting that they makin inroads into confederate flag flappin southern states as opposed to northern ones where the indian immigrant populations tend to be more visible
but as usual men does twiss threads to vent out dey own agenda.

^^^
This.
I live in one of them "banjo playin states". No one with a name like "Piyush" getting anywhere in this part of the world.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 08:20:49 PM »
::)

This is my beef !! thank yuh ! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

can't believe the kinda shite I reading here...
Obama didn't have a white name but he have a white mother!

What's your real beef? Don't compare apples with oranges...

Good for them, make it big and pave roads for your people, kids and everyone else....

whey boy!

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 10:20:45 PM »
Everybody so far have some aspect of being right BUT

Lets not pretend that it's not common for people from other parts of the world particularly Asian whether Chinese, Korean, or whoever to change they name deyself or they chirren name. That is common.

Who doh know ah Chinee or he family that come to T&T or US that call heself John

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 12:01:46 AM »

Good for them, make it big and pave roads for your people, kids and everyone else....

[/quote]

I have no beef here...Pave roads for who?  U have to be joking..She not paving no roads for her people..The only thing that she is doing is leaving a blueprint..That is all..For goodness sake she changed her name and religion..She goes by Nikki...A very safe american name. I am in no way taking away from her achievement, I believe this speaks more about the american mindset.. The same republican party that portrayed Obama as a foreigner and muslim? They still asking to see his birthpaper...But you're right, you can't compare the two cases...Obama married a black woman while Nikki married a white guy..So who's really changing perceptions and paving roads??

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 12:09:57 AM »
Oh and by the way, I have a friend, an indian lady who sells insurance and she recently married a hindu guy...I don't want to put her name up here but it's very christian and by hearing her name you would believe her to be white..She decided to keep her maiden name and not carry the hindu name as she believed that it would affect business..She has told me that some people are shocked when they enter her office and see the type of person who is behind the desk and she has lost customers because of that..!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 02:35:27 AM »
::)

That white mudda shyte only counts in the caribbean and in countries where ppl are color struck!! here in uncle sam, if yuh not white then having white blood is of no consequence!

just ask the black high yellow creoles in luisiana if they could get by on dat! just ask adam clayton powell, thurgoud marshall,lina horne, dorothy dandrige, the delany sisters, james earl jones and many more yellow bone n!ggers who for sure could pass for white in trinidad, but here in foreign , they are just as black as micheal clark duncan!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:38:40 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 06:27:26 AM »
well I know ah chinee fella whose parents had a grocery up in st agustine who changed his name when he came up here and canadians NOT as fickle as some ah them "banjo pickin" states
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 06:32:56 AM »
Once worked in a company in Takoma Park, md. One of my colleague was  a young white lady with last name Mitchell. Thought she was Irish-Amer. But she told me that she is actually Italian Amer. She said that he great grandfather's last name was Michelli, but he changed it to the Anglo, Mitchell. She said that he changed it to assimilate quickly and to get jobs. Italians and Irish use to get lot of "stick" from the Anglo/Protestant Amer. at the turn of the century.

1]; } ?>